Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Will You Marry An Atheist? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will You Marry An Atheist? (28073 Views)

Can U Marry An Atheist??? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2012
-
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by henryskywalker2003(m): 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2012
Sweetlemon: Anybody who believes in and loves God will not even think of marrying someone who doesn't believe in God. Except of course if there are other benefits such aa money, connections, etc. Even with that, it is only CORE MATERIALISTIC people who would do so because marrying someone who does not believe in your heavenly father is like (even more serious than) marrying someone who has no regard for your earthly father. That's the bitter truth

You've said it all my dear. Anyone that accept my God just like Ruth abandoned hers for her Mother-in-law should stay at the opposite end of the world from me. Shikena.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2012
henryskywalker2003:

You've said it all my dear. Anyone that accept my God just like Ruth abandoned hers for her Mother-in-law should stay at the opposite end of the world from me. Shikena.

Who's Ruth and what year did she walk this planet? I'm tired of biblical folklore and allegories.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

Atheism will always be a religion to me, since you guys believe in the big b.ang theory - but not the supernatural being..

You guys also do rituals by celebrating birthdays, weddings, etc. and that's another form of religion.. You guys still believe in something - but most of you are in denial.

You are seriously confused about trying to differentiate between religion and Atheism. Atheism is simply non believe in anything supernatural except proven such as the Jeovah God, Satan the Devil, Angel, Al-jin, Ghosts, Buddha, Fairies, etc....you logic becomes self-flawes because it assumes that anyone agreeing to the existence of electrons or gamma rays is into religion. Atheist believe in the Big Bang theory because it suggest credible explanation to the origin of the universe and life form...which I for one agree with only to a certain extent though.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

Understanding nature is subjective depending on how you look at it..

How can you understand nature if you don't understand spirituality, and know who you're?

And your assertion about 'Africans and primitive men' lacking profound knowledge is myopic and ridiculous - when the same people laid the found of what science thrives on today... The ancient men knew about the sirius star thousands of years, before science discovered it three years ago (read about the dogon people of mali).

The ancient men knew the earth was round way before science... The ancient men knew about how the sun and solar system works, way before science (read about Horus)...

It can also be argued that ancient men have a better understanding about nature than the modern men... Ancient men took metaphysics to a place, where modern science is yet to get to today..

Read more, brother!
I would accept that from you on general perception. But understanding nature is not subjective when it is related with real life phenomenon( though, nature still have many questions which need answers). The subjective idea you attached is more of individualistic(that should be left for the elusive matters) than what have been proven.

I think something is missing in your view of perception that is reality you play down on due to your indoctrination(I guess) and superficial nature of what have not be understood yet.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 6:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: Sorry!We can not play down on knowledge.There is sound knowledge because it can be tested and proven.Are you trying to tell me that we should remain blind and accept things which don't added up because you think we don't have anything to loose? Then, you are not conversant with the ideology behinds religion - I would say.

It makes sense, as they say the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. We can't really prove there is no God (and that is where the mofos that created religion have got us!) We will only know for sure when we are dead and there is no point of return, what exactly are you going to lose if you decide to become a christian? Since it (mostly) encourages us to be better people, don't lie, don't steal, don't covet someones donkeys or something like that.

The only downside is the absolute control it demands of you and staying away from the lusts of the flesh, so if we submit to religion we can lose out on a lifetime of enjoyment for potentially no reason.

Pros and con wise I think choosing religion (except islam) is the best option, whats the worse that can happen?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
kindabigg: Intelligence is overrated!

Science is overrated!

Religion is overrated!

You're who you're, and no one can change that!
you must hv been feeling very smart with urself when you wrote this.tongue Now tell me who you are. And let me prove to you that all that you think you are is influenced by what you view as overrated.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
emöfine2:

Well I am only an “atheist” as far as the known and presented god(s) are concerned and it’s not so much because I do not believe they exist (at least metaphorically) it’s because I have no faith in them or inclination towards them.
Beyond the perimeter of religion I am not an atheist; I am irreligious.

If the capabilities of Eshu or Ogun was proven to you, would you still think they don't exist ? ofcourse not in our dimension or realm of existence.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2012
The truth is that no Theist or religionist here wants to talk about things which have been proven wrong about religion and the idea of God or gods.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2012
401kk: As an agnostic, I absolutely see nothing wrong in marrying a reasonable and matured-minded christian or atheist. Beliefs shouldn't cause acrimony in a relationship.

Thought you are a religious freak!!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

It makes sense, as they say the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. We can't really prove there is no God (and that is where the mofos that created religion have got us!) We will only know for sure when we are dead and there is no point of return, what exactly are you going to lose if you decide to become a christian? Since it (mostly) encourages us to be better people, don't lie, don't steal, don't covet someones donkeys or something like that.

The only downside is the absolute control it demands of you and staying away from the lusts of the flesh, so if we submit to religion we can lose out on a lifetime of enjoyment for potentially no reason.

Pros and con wise I think choosing religion (except islam) is the best option, whats the worse that can happen?
The truth is that conjecture doesn't usually play out well in real life. Why not let's face reality than be coerced into what are ideas from primitive past we know don't add up?Isn't that deceitfulness? Why wouldn't I have to be perturbed of such hypocrisy?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
ghostofsparta:

You are seriously confused about trying to differentiate between religion and Atheism. Atheism is simply non believe in anything supernatural except proven such as the Jeovah God, Satan the Devil, Angel, Al-jin, Ghosts, Buddha, Fairies, etc....you logic becomes self-flawes because it assumes that anyone agreeing to the existence of electrons or gamma rays is into religion. Atheist believe in the Big Bang theory because it suggest credible explanation to the origin of the universe and life form...which I for one agree with only to a certain extent though.

If you believe in the big b.ang theory (which is also not proven) - it shows you also believe in something... Don't you think you guys are being hypocrites here?

Is the big b.ang theory proven?

Just by calling it a 'theory' shows it isn't proven (I'm a science student and I know theories and hypothesis are assertions which are yet to be proven).
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2012
401kk:

LMAO!! This is really funny, and the most phucked up thesis I've ever seen in my life.

Queensmith do you believe him?

lol, no i don't (but why are most men in prison eh?!) I think it's down to nurture than nature. Men are encouraged to think out of the box and women aren't. It's nothing to do with men being more logical, women haven't been given enough of a chance, at the end of the day it isn't women that created religion, in the bible women are even told not to speak, the qoran tells them they are worth half of a man. So religion is probably not even the choice of a woman, yet we have been subjected to it anyway, the same men who 'logically' created it it are now turning around to 'logically' deny it, who is to say if women were in charge from the very start religion will even exist?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: The truth is that conjecture doesn't usually play out well in real life. Why not let's face reality than be coerced into what are ideas from primitive past we know don't add up?

What do you mean by conjecture?

Science also thrives on theories, and hypothesis - should we also disregard that, and call it primitive?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

What do you mean by conjecture?

Science also thrives on theories, and hypothesis - should we also disregard that, and call it primitive?
I know you haven't been reading my comments with open mind. You are quick to push me to a corner, that is, if I am not religionist I am scientist. Hypothesis are what they are and must be proven to be accepted. That science proves it is not perfect yet the reverse is the case with religion.

It is a matter of knowing what is fact with the unlimited abilities available to the limited abilities we are able to make use of.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 401kk: 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2012
2good:

Thought you are a religious freak!!

I'm not. I maintain the stance that certain things cannot be known. That means I'm agnostic
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: I would accept that from you on general perception. But understanding nature is not subjective when it is related with real life phenomenon( though, nature still have many questions which need answers). The subjective idea you attached it more individualistic(that should be left for the elusive matters) than what have been proven.

I think something is missing in your view of perception that is reality you play down on due to your indoctrination(I guess) and superficial nature of what have not be understood yet.

I'm free from the yoke of indoctrination, and I just practice what I feel comes natural to me.. I believe in the God concept because I feel the presence of a supernatural being everyday.. God to me is my breath; my existence in life; my interaction with my environment; and certain things that happens in my life, I can't explain...

I don't believe in religion nor groupthink - I just believe in doing what's natural to me, and communicating with my creator personally, without going through any boogeyman..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 15, 2012
401kk:

I'm not. I maintain the stance that certain things cannot be known. That means I'm agnostic
Maybe, it would be better to say that certain things take time to find out or to be known.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: Maybe, it would be better to say that certain things take time to find out or to be known.

Proof to me that God exist and don't quote from the bible please
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

I'm free from the yoke of indoctrination, and I just practice what I feel comes natural to me.. I believe in the God concept because I feel the presence of a supernatural being everyday.. God to me is my breath; my existence in life; my interaction with my environment; and certain things that happens in my life, I can't explain...

I don't believe in religion nor groupthink - I just believe in doing what's natural to me, and communicating with my creator personally, without going through any boogeyman..
I am not against what you feel. And, I am not against religion. But, the concept of God is biased! There are no evidences with regards to contradictory things in the books that such thing exist. Even anything to fall into what is supernatural in the natural. It is a human infallible ability to procrastinate.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: I know you haven't been reading my comments with open mind. You are quick to push me to a corner, that is, if I am not religionist I am scientist. Hypothesis are what they are and must be proven to be accepted. That science proves it is not perfect yet the reverse is the case with religion.

It is a matter of knowing what is fact with the unlimited abilities available to the limited abilities we are able to make use of.

You don't have to be a 'religionist' to believe in God..

My point is, if you don't believe in God - then you've to believe in science.. There's no mid-way between the two - and anyone who does that, will only get more confused...

I personally don't have a problem with you being an atheist, but saying people who believe in God are primitive - when you also believe in something, which can also be called primitive by certain people... It goes both ways!

There's no good, or bad - it depends on the angle you look at it.. What's good to you may be bad to the next man, and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 6:37pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: The truth is that conjecture doesn't usually play out well in real life. Why not let's face reality than be coerced into what are ideas from primitive past we know don't add up?Isn't that deceitfulness? Why wouldn't I have to be perturbed of such hypocrisy?

The reality we inhabit can only offer soo many 'facts' is it a fact that God doesn't exist? No, it's a belief, the equal sense of believing God does exist. One has to have a bias to make that decision but it can never be based purely 'facts'. You will just make the choice of what basis you want to invest your soul in.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
2good:

Proof to me that God exist and don't quote from the bible please
You are talking to an Atheist! I am a free thinker.So, I don't think God exist in any form depicted by Theists nor anything unproven about nature should be equated or pointed to a god or God.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: I am not against what you feel. And, I am not against religion. But, the concept of God is biased! There are no evidences with regards to contradictory things in the books that such thing exist. Even anything to fall into what is supernatural in the natural. It is a human infallible ability to procrastinate.

How can the concept of God be biased - when science itself has no prove of the alternative?

Supernatural: Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

And since the 'Supernatural' thing we experience everyday can neither by proven by man nor science - that's God to me..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

I don't expect you to agree with the above as it is. Your eyes is
wide open, but your mind and heart is spiritually blind.
May God touch you and change your mind set.

Is it the same omniscient God of the Jews aka Jeovah/Yaweh who couldn't reveal visions (Final Destination style) to those reverend and pastors who died at Dana air plane crash? or is he different from the same God that peeps where praying to in a church at Adamawa before Boko Haram sent 25 of them to Heaven in a drive-by. According to IFA, a particular Yoruba deity called Osanyin (deity of ishegun) brought the knowledge supernatural science to Ile-aye and taught Orunmilla (deity and custodian of IFA) wherein is a particular YAS (Yoruba Adavanced Science) called 'ifura' ( that which triggers the body when danger is coming). If Bimbo Odukoya or any of those in Dana and Sosoliso plane crash had put aside their religious indoctrinations, and used it they would have been alive today. But I doubt even offered they wouldn't use it because it so un-Christian....and yet they....just check the pics below:

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

The reality we inhabit can only offer soo many 'facts' is it a fact that God doesn't exist? No, it's a belief, the equal sense of believing God does exist. One has to have a bias to make that decision but it can never be based purely 'facts'. You will just make the choice of what basis you want to invest your soul in.
It is an interesting thing to share ideas of knowledge of what you know. In your view I can see you're trying to be pragmatic yet non-absorbing by not yielding fully well to your perception, forgetting to accept reality and supernatural are just two different things - that one exist in reality and the other exist in imagination.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 6:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

this is it! brilliant post!

In reality, we all act this way due to fear of the unknown. Religion seems to be the 'better' choice since in a way you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, but if it turns out God is just an illusion one can potentially waste his/her life on something that has never had any basis.

If it is only their own life they waste, then there wouldn't be any problem.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

How can the concept of God be biased - when science itself has no prove of the alternative?

Supernatural: Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

And since the 'Supernatural' thing we experience everyday can neither by proven by man nor science - that's God to me..
This is where supernatural has be eroded by those who keeps connoting it on a different ground. The fact is that supernatural cannot exist in the natural has be proven to be real because natural exist and supernatural doesn't(not because it cannot be seen but because it is imagination). Some force beyond scientific understanding is not supernatural it is beyond scientific understanding due to the available resources to human at the moment. Magic is one of them and we have come to know that most magic are tricks!

Then, I would like to know little about the supernatural things you experience daily, my dear.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 6:50pm On Jun 15, 2012
all4naija: You are talking to an Atheist! I am a free thinker.So, I don't think God exist in any form depicted by Theists nor anything unproven about nature should be equated or pointed to a god or God.

ok good.So we're on thesame page!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 401kk: 6:51pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

lol, no i don't (but why are most men in prison eh?!)

Too much TESTOSTERONE. lol

queensmith:
I think it's down to nurture than nature. Men are encouraged to think out of the box and women aren't. It's nothing to do with men being more logical, women haven't been given enough of a chance, at the end of the day it isn't women that created religion, in the bible women are even told not to speak, the qoran tells them they are worth half of a man. So religion is probably not even the choice of a woman, yet we have been subjected to it anyway, the same men who 'logically' created it it are now turning around to 'logically' deny it, who is to say if women were in charge from the very start religion will even exist?

naa. I don't agree with you.
We are now in the 21ist century, women are now being encouraged (more than we men) to think out of the box. Still, women are more religious than men. Being more religious implies that they adhere to an established, popular, spirituality with a hierarchical structure and an authority figure in place. Women are more prone to follow this; women are by nature, and by necessity, followers. Thats also why we have more female groupies btw
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:
but why are most men in prison eh?!) I

Women have the inherent purpose of child bearing and rearing, which can last a majority of their lives; whereas, men have no permanent purpose in life.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2012
401kk:

Women are more prone to follow this; women are by nature, and by necessity, followers.
[size=14pt]U ARE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE MR![/size] angry angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Orimiri Jordan In Enugu, Heals Mad Man / How Effective Is Mountain Prayers ??? / Reopening Of Churches & Mosques In Abuja: FCTA Releases Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.