Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? (12139 Views)

Is Hitting A Child Really Necessary In Correcting That Child???? / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / Why Are Extra-marital Affairs Common Among Married Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by tpia5: 3:36am On Jun 13, 2012
if the child needs extra lessons, then by all means give it to them.

1 Like

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by greatgod2012(f): 5:14am On Jun 13, 2012
dre is no need especially 4 kids below 10 yrs old.All dt is neccessary is 4 parents to guide dir kids in dir assgnment and allow dm 2 play; playing is also part of learning, besides, to keep dm busy,dy can watch educatnal programs or educatnal disks,dt helps 2 activate and stimulate dir brains a great deal.Lol

2 Likes

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by purpinkx(m): 5:34am On Jun 13, 2012
kinnex: Extra Lessons for what again? Seriously, i don't see the need. There's much more to learn outside academics. Send them to school. Give them the best of Education. Teach them about life, values, leadership, integrity, godliness, money, sex, goals, etc. And most importantly, make them know God for themselves. That will do jare. There's more to life, let them explore it..

All d ones wey we read, wetin we dey use am do? Mtcheew!
Nice one jhor ... 47mil are looking for employment
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Enrythesis(m): 6:06am On Jun 13, 2012
[quote author=steph7]Its not necessary, all the students in my kid bro class do lessons , while he doesn't do and he always comes 2nd. Beating d others that do lessons[/quote
and u are sure he dosent av home teacher
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Ninilowo(m): 6:19am On Jun 13, 2012
No no and no. Lesson tchers just do assignments and keep them busy. NOTHING more.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by lilrukevwe(m): 6:29am On Jun 13, 2012
Mass education is result oriented and parents are nt helping matters, in present day Nigeria results(1st, 2nd) is d order of the day
The totality of a childs education centers around teacher, child and parents but wiv the ever busy parents, the teacher(lesson) stands in a gap for them. But some children do require it cos their retention span is very low or some the play they engage in out weigh the books they read.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by sholay2011(m): 7:05am On Jun 13, 2012
Soo_cool: And this is on the frontpage because?
i.d.i.o.t.a shut up dia! Wat shud nw be on d frntpage? I doubt if u re a parent; am nt but cmon sense tells me i cn learn frm dose ahead of me. Nairaland is nt all about criticising dose in govt nd discussin sad news wiv admiratn. Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by adefash(m): 7:13am On Jun 13, 2012
anything"extra"is usually optional.talk of extra plate in bukateria,extra minuites in cafe,extra time during football match,etc.the extra coaching hours needed by a pupil may not be necessary by another.study ur child.if he doesnt know what he ought to know,the get teacher for extra coaching.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Oshiite: 7:21am On Jun 13, 2012
How can a child of 7 leave home by 7am and come home 5 or 6pm looking so stresd out,next thing after food is homwork ,leavin home by 7 is if u leave in enugu unlike my sis who stays in abuja said they wake up by 4am and leave b4 6am to avoid hold up,dat lesson stuff to me is mental slavery

3 Likes

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Jarus(m): 7:27am On Jun 13, 2012
Not entirely unnecessary. My turn-around in mathenatics in SSS was due to private lesson. The personalized teaching afforded in private lessons can be of advantage as pupils have more confidence to ask questions from teachers.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by RichDad1(m): 7:42am On Jun 13, 2012
Oshiite: How can a child of 7 leave home by 7am and come home 5 or 6pm looking so stresd out,next thing after food is homwork ,leavin home by 7 is if u leave in enugu unlike my sis who stays in abuja said they wake up by 4am and leave b4 6am to avoid hold up,dat lesson stuff to me is mental slavery
God bless you. I was about stressing out this point. In Lagos most parents wake their kids as early as 4:30 am just to beat the traffic. I don't think some parents know the essence of "NAP" and SIESTA . As for me my kids don't need any extra lesson whatsoever until they are in secondary school( and that is only if their performance is not satisfactory). I will rather engage them in vocational training.

1 Like

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Carmall(m): 7:45am On Jun 13, 2012
Imanuelle: Most parents actually arrange for extra lessons for deir kids in order to keep dem busy..
Its more abt gettin dem busy and less of learning.
u re right!
Its called "jeleosimi" in yoruba.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by abugbe(m): 7:57am On Jun 13, 2012
it's gud wen de child is not doin wel academically, parents need to watch at Their children performance in school b4 making any arrangement for extra lessons
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by djeezy(m): 8:17am On Jun 13, 2012
I'm looking at it from a narrow and broad view. Extra lessons are redundant and superflous expecially when the kids go to good schools. The broad view is that it helps the kids to be versatile and it widens their horizon intellectually. Its called "extra", they're also taught things they would mayhap not learn in school. Extra lessons keeps the kid busy. Without further ado, suffice it to say that it's all about the pocket of the in locus parentis. If you can afford it, no problemo.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by iaabc(f): 8:19am On Jun 13, 2012
Absolutely unnecessary! We need to reasess what we put our children through all in the name of education. They come home late after spending so long in school and we still want to bog them down with more work. Play is crucial to learning! I don't even like homework!
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by anitank(f): 8:21am On Jun 13, 2012
Seriously I don't see any need in extra lessons from another teacher. I have a four year old son who's real smart. The best I do is make sure I tell him what to do during homework hour and then give him extra exercises to make sure he learnt it. And he catches up real fast. U may need an extra teacher if d kid is slow in learning or when they r not making good results.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 13, 2012
damilola15: I personally don't like it.
I've mixed feeling (I don't know how to put in writing) about it.
ok lemme put it in writing for you. Your lesson teacher rraped u bah?? Datsit? Right?? Eeyah...sorry
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by HVILLE: 8:42am On Jun 13, 2012
it all depend on ur willness to learn extra lesson is not a must just a way of keeping the already tired children busy
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by God2man(m): 8:43am On Jun 13, 2012
If you discover that your children are not doing well, you can arrange extra lesson for them especially on saturday or twice in a week, it depends on your schedule, however, if they are doing well in school, you may not need to bother about extra lesson.
One thing we must know is that no knowledge is lost, there is no harm in adding knowledge to knowledge, it could be stressful but it is still the best option, you know we are talking about the educational foundation of our children which is very crucial. Some of these private schools are fake, you may not know until you begin to ask your child certain questions.
The truth is that extra lesson will always give them an edge.
God bless. God2man.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by jossy26: 8:49am On Jun 13, 2012
Looking at it from another angle; I also detest extra lessons for kids in primary school, I never had any, but from the economic point of view whereby the extra lessons is made compulsory for the pupils and a parents decides to withdraw his ward, don't you think the teachers will intentionally withdraw some of the lessons they should have taught during normal school hours till the lesson time and as such, the pupils not in the extra lesson class misses.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by jossy26: 8:54am On Jun 13, 2012
nnacent: As a teacher, i would say that most kids need extra lessons. In a typical class, apart from the gifted students(few), u discover that others barely grab what is taught for two major reasons 1. The teacher must complete the syllabus within 12weeks with holidays, and extracurricular activities inclusive. Hence no time to give any student particular attention in class. 2. Wit h a salary of less than 25k, what do u expect? My advice is that parents should take notice of subjects their kids dont do well, then go to ask how much the teacher earns. Finally, never rely on your kid's grades, thats rubbish. I've taught in schools where the only grades that exist is 1st to 8th position.(thats just a way to keep students). So if u have the means, pls employ a home tutor for your kids.

@nnacent, you mean some schools grades is just between 1st to 8th? That's serious oo, then parents must demand for their wards marked script so they can scrutinize as well.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Scattermototo: 9:05am On Jun 13, 2012
it's very necesary if you have the financial capability.It really helps sharpen the brain and gives the child room to have a closer interaction with the teacher especially if the teacher is frm the same school with the child.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by LeJeun3: 9:09am On Jun 13, 2012
Abeg those saying its necessary, wat about extra lessons for 3-4yr olds? Wat use is it? Honestly, it is of no use except in special cases or special need kids.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by blank(f): 9:38am On Jun 13, 2012
I think its a way of keeping the kids in school for longer. When both parents work and return home by 7 or 8pm what time will they have to supervise homework, etc? Who will look after them when they return early?
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 13, 2012
If when i was a kid, and extra lessons were arranged for me, i would have revolted.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by foluks24(f): 10:05am On Jun 13, 2012
if u notice as a parent dt d child's cdemic performance is poor,den d child nids a lesson teacher,but if nt,it is just a way og kipn d child busy which is nt dat bad either
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Tinkybabe(f): 10:34am On Jun 13, 2012
I think it depends on the academic ability of each child.There are some kids that need a form of external motivation to study..in this case getting a private teacher for them wouldn't be a bad idea .
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by amaechijay: 11:18am On Jun 13, 2012
I withdrew my little girl in Basic 1 after getting reports from my Help that picks her from school and the School Guard that her teacher is not serious with the Extra lessons. I will enroll her back in September when she enters a new class.

Lessons really helps one understand the topics in the curriculum better and improve in areas one is not good at. I scored the highest Cumulatively in Mathematics during the Promotional Exams in SS2 because my mum enrolled me in extra Maths lessons when she noticed i was scoring low in it.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Emioga: 11:36am On Jun 13, 2012
@lutha,drzed and kinnex i agree 1000 percent wit u guys.in addition parents shud nt rely soley on school books.there r alot of books to enhance reading writing etc.i knw d ecomomy is killin bt d above has to be d parents job(we just ve to find tyme)God help us all.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by member479760: 11:41am On Jun 13, 2012
it's necessary for needy kids.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by achi4u(m): 11:44am On Jun 13, 2012
blank: I think its a way of keeping the kids in school for longer. When both parents work and return home by 7 or 8pm what time will they have to supervise homework, etc? Who will look after them when they return early?
infact u've said it all.80% of parents buy that time of extra lesson leaving their children in d hand of professioal nanygrin
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by lait: 11:44am On Jun 13, 2012
This depend on the child's ability. If the child needs extra assistance to understand the courses at school, then there will be need for extra lesson. if not there is no need for that, expect when a child is preparing for external exams.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism / I Caught My Wife With My Landlord In Bed!! Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.