Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? (12138 Views)

Is Hitting A Child Really Necessary In Correcting That Child???? / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / Why Are Extra-marital Affairs Common Among Married Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by achi4u(m): 11:49am On Jun 13, 2012
...and i must thank you people for giving this 'extra lesson',i must say am learning here.soon my twins will start their Ota akara(pre nursary)grin
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 13, 2012
:DI stand by what I said earlier for a primary school child extra lesson aren't needed! Imagine leaving the house by 6 am, closing by 3. Then the teacher assigns a multitude of assignments and expects them to be ready by the next day. My brother usually finishes his assignments by 7.30 , 8. Then imagine if he was doing extra lessons. I did extra lessons as a child and trust me apart from common entrance, that thing was a waste of my parents money.my last sister did extra lessons, but my had to stop when my mum noticed the teacher was just hanging out at d house 4 2 hours. When she got her double promotions twice, she was doing any extra lessons.

2 Likes

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Ekavint: 12:20pm On Jun 13, 2012
I equally don't like the idea of a lesson teacher. All I do is to direct the wards properly and they forge ahead smoothly
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 13, 2012
Soo_cool: And this is on the frontpage because?

I tire ooo
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Princessaleeza: 12:57pm On Jun 13, 2012
Extra lesson is good cos it helps d student most especially d average 1 among them even d brilliant ones it makes d em a v edge 2 oda student.e.g my baby in her class there teachin 2 letter words but she already nos 4 letter words & so on,and it keep dem busy.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by luqwafar: 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2012
its is very nice ideas for all responsible parents because of our govenrment system of education e,g those that have there wards in the public school if there is strike cos that is the language the govt understand,may God keep all this kids to have a better tommorow.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by omodapson(m): 1:48pm On Jun 13, 2012
Extra lesson for little children is not necessary, it stemmed out of poverty that has riddled our society for decades. School teachers who earn little thought of ways to make extra income and came about extra lesson as the medium of upping their income. Why would I give children aged 3-8 the burden of extra lesson when they are medically sound? Wetin little children dey learn sef?
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Havilah93(m): 2:44pm On Jun 13, 2012
extra lesson is just a waste of time joor.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by treasuremi1(m): 3:11pm On Jun 13, 2012
bein a teacher, i advised u get extra hand for them aftr sch hours. not all kids r very brilliant to absorb all what d teachers teach in class. but if u feel ur kid(s) r geniuses, u may not need to.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by WhyAWhy(m): 3:31pm On Jun 13, 2012
EXTRA LESSONS only mean the teachers were not doing their job!
What's done at EXTRA lessons that can't be done in School?!!!

Some of you claim better understanding abi

So if pikin no grab am for school, we give extra lessons
what if the pikin no grab much from extra lessons, what else

EXTRA EXTRA lessons abi, I laugh in spanish grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nickydrake(m): 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2012
If you ACTUALLY enroll your child to take extra lessons, i daresay you will have blown an extremely potent disciplinary technique.

The reason is simple; there is no
wrong a child will not genuinely repent of and perpetually refrain from if he is merely THREATENED with extra lessons.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by marvel10: 9:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
Loved your post. Infact it is the best post I have ever read on NL. Fed up of politics and plane crashes...

I had the same conversation days ago. I loathe the idea of extra tuition for primary school children. I find Nigerian children quite lazy due to this assisted help dependency. When some of these children go to boarding schools in the U.K., they are left to their own devices and do not fair well as they are constantly told what to do and how to do it.

I would rather an academically average child with excellent social skills. Never used pythagoras theory, probability and all that scum forced down my throat at school and forced upon me again by a boring teacher with halitosis.

1 Like

Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by myfriend1(m): 11:24am On Jun 14, 2012
nothing as good as extra lesson for the children, please if possible twe extra lesson to keep them away from play, and i want you to seperate school teacher from lesson teacher. this gives the children more exposure and build confidence in them by meeting differnt teachers. try to give your children the best of education. thanks.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Valiantvaliant(m): 5:24pm On Jun 14, 2012
It doesnt matter, i say if d kid is serious he wil excel witout a leson teacher. Bt if he isnt den he wont b crioz even wit a lesson teacher, Period. speaking from pesonal experience
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by nnacent(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2012
Valiantvaliant: It doesnt matter, i say if d kid is serious he wil excel witout a leson teacher. Bt if he isnt den he wont b crioz even wit a lesson teacher, Period. speaking from pesonal experience
u wud also agree dat d reason u dnt knw some subjects as well as odas has more 2 do with d teacher dan your seriousness. If u get money get extra lessons 4 ur kids. 10k u
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by lilrukevwe(m): 3:13pm On Jun 17, 2012
if u have had fair share of a home tutor then u wud not understimate the power behind it. Does a teacher have power over a child who had learnt a concept in the morning and den out of their childish nature cannot remember even after d most advanced teaching method were used. Most time dat child needs someone to re-echo that concept. How many parents here have a time and patient to skl their children. A child once told me that she was not interested in class until it was 3rd term damn all the teaching 4 2 terms was in vain she only said so becos d lesson teacher asked how come u doing better now.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by smartmom(f): 10:47am On Jun 18, 2012
Hmm I can see many parents have a fairly common experience in this issue. I also went here and my! did I have my ears filled!
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,61.msg87.html#new

My mind is made up, no lesson teachers especially if its organized by teachers from thesame school they attend.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by smartmom(f): 11:48am On Jun 18, 2012
WhyAWhy: EXTRA LESSONS only mean the teachers were not doing their job!
What's done at EXTRA lessons that can't be done in School?!!!

Some of you claim better understanding abi

So if pikin no grab am for school, we give extra lessons
what if the pikin no grab much from extra lessons, what else

EXTRA EXTRA lessons abi, I laugh in spanish grin grin grin grin

Oho my thots exactly jare! teachers should be rated by how well their pupils understand the stuff they teach them
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by smartmom(f): 11:52am On Jun 18, 2012
achi4u: ...and i must thank you people for giving this 'extra lesson',i must say am learning here.soon my twins will start their Ota akara(pre nursary)grin

Ok a word is enuf for d wise, Dont stress them o! wink
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by nnacent(m): 10:30am On Jun 21, 2012
smartmom:

Oho my thots exactly jare! teachers should be rated by how well their pupils understand the stuff they teach them
will they b rated based on d smart kid dat undastands before he's taught or d dull kid who wont understand even wit thorough explanations?
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by smartmom(f): 5:51pm On Jun 21, 2012
nnacent: will they b rated based on d smart kid dat undastands before he's taught or d dull kid who wont understand even wit thorough explanations?
A good teacher is the one patient enough to make even the ''dullest'' child understand every topic taught. The joy of every real teacher is transfer of knowledge.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by smartmom(f): 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
I have discovered that if school teachers/schools are discouraged from receiving extra cash from parents, they would be no need to have extra lessons: lesson learned? extra lessons are generally created by teachers/schools to milk parents.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
^^^your discovery source please ? Or it's just your own discovery?

Kids are different , and their learning cognitive are not the same , mine have tutors for specific subjects they have difficulty with, so they can catch up in class.
Yeah there's one on one in school but teachers will only do that for a period of time cos they have other kids to tend to. I don't think it's about exploitation persè but the kids learning ability in that short period of time a day for 10months.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by MMotimo: 1:06am On Feb 16, 2013
If a child is performing below average, the extra tutoring is a good idea
If you want your child to perform or continue to perform above average, it's a good idea
If you are aiming for specific goals (eg qualifying for scholarships) outside of what class will provide, go with extra tutoring

I am a big fan of allowing kids to enjoy their childhood without undue academic pressures. Plenty struggles lie ahead for them, any load on them should be commensurate with other aspects of their development. Who has not seen high achieving kids (academically) with below peer emotional maturity and zero social skills. The emphasis should never be on academics alone.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by Peterwins(m): 2:13am On Feb 16, 2013
blank: I think its a way of keeping the kids in school for longer. When both parents work and return home by 7 or 8pm what time will they have to supervise homework, etc? Who will look after them when they return early?

^^^^These are some of the reasons amongst others.

However, parents should endeavour to know what best suits their child/children. Some kids need it, while others may not require extra lessons.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by baby124: 2:52am On Feb 16, 2013
If your kids have learning disabilities. Sure why not? Otherwise you are just wasting your time. Me as an example, my mum really wasted her time and money. I mean really!!! I remember primary school, smh. I was so stubborn that I only read when I am in the mood. Now if you cage me inside with a lesson teacher with bad breath, then you are really looking for my trouble.
When all my friends are playing, and making fun of me at the window? Truly, kids learn differently. In primary school, I could never remember what the lesson teacher taught. And I did all the lessons,piano, guitar, maths blah blah blah. But I somehow manage to read a week before and come top 5. Always. I hated those lesson things, it just wasn't my way of study.

Mum's think because their friends kids are doing it, their kids are at a disadvantage if they don't. But some kids learn better on their own. I think going through your kids homework with them should be enough. To prevent them from being tardy about homework. Plus it helps with bonding, and kids learn better from their parents. My dad did this with my brother's and they were gifted school material.

Except the parent is an illiterate, or the kid has a disability I don't see why lessons are a must. If your kid doesn't understand, then you need to talk to their teacher about their teaching techniques or something. Some people know their stuff, but are not good at teaching at all. If I pay for school, you better be good at teaching the subject or I will raise hell.
Re: Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? by zayhal(f): 12:19pm On Feb 16, 2013
The new excuse I hear schools giving is that they want to teach ahead. By th time you tell them you kid is bright enough and does not need extra classes, that you're there to always do homework with them... And debunk all other reasons they give. They've come up with this new one: teaching kids ahead i.e the work they'll do in class next week would be taught during the extra class this week.

Now is this necessary? Isn't this overloading and even confusing these kid? It's even a disadvantage to average or slow learner kids. A child that is still struggling to grasp what is taught in the morning is faced with something entirely new in the extra class.
Schools are stopping at nothing to exploit parents in the name of extra lessons. SMH

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism / I Caught My Wife With My Landlord In Bed!! Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.