Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,135 members, 7,957,247 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:50 AM

Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession (12813 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Nigeria Is Sliding Into Economic Recession Under Buhari’s Watch – Olisa Agbakoba / Don’t Pay For Bail Again—police IG Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 14, 2012
Its clear this misfit is an agent of the henchmen, if she has lost faith then she should be sacked.its painful to see that these people live in opulence and they dont even have an idea what we facing.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by samkoro: 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem: of course after increasing the price of fuel. I said this during the fuel subsidy crisis even though I am not an economist neither am I intelligent or educated but I am certain that increasing the price of fuel (economic dependence) to world standard would expose our economy to the variation in the world. This was what I predicted.

Now I hope Manny4life would come and explain this. grin grin grin

I disagree
A country is affected by global economic upheavals to the extent its import and export relies on it and not price of fuel within the country.If Nigeria is a perfect system ,fuel price changes will neither have positive nor negatve.

That is to say that if you dicrease fuel ,citizen will pay less and enjoy ;limiting gov income and ependitureIncrease fuel price and citizens pay more while gov gains more money for further developement that may be more important than citizens wasting fuel because its cheap.If mass transit sytem is perfect I.e network of trains,fuel could sell for N500 per litre and still transportation will be cheaper than what we have now
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 5:01pm On Jun 14, 2012
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by lookmangiw(m): 5:10pm On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What?

We do not import oil, we import refined fuels.

As you said, Consumers stand to gain here, but the elite don't loose either. They still get their subsidy payment, if applicable. Lets not blame them for this again.
why subsidy again, if the price of oil drops below $100, then i dont think there would be any need for subsidy payment again at the current price of N97.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by samkoro: 5:14pm On Jun 14, 2012
skealoo: [/b][/color]A[b]BI OLORI BU RU KU NI . NA EVERY TIME WEY I DEY BUY FUEL I DEY SWEAR FOR OKONJO AND I WILL CONTINUE TILL DEATH DO ME. MOTHA F. ABEGGI MAKE SHE GO JUMP INSIDE THIRD MAINLAND.[size=20[color=#990000]pt]

The future hardship is what you should be more concerned and not the present cost t of fuel
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 5:20pm On Jun 14, 2012
DrugDoc: The way the Nigerian people are thinking and reasoning, I fear we may be due for a serious conflict. Those advocating for revolution should look to the Liberian, Sierra Leoan and Congo "revolutions". It will be all our fault and we will all be consumed. How can we want govt to help pay for fueling every vehicle driven in Nigeria? What is the population of Saudi Arabia or Libya or UAE that give cheap fuel? Why would anyone build a company (refinery) where the govt. would dictate price regardless of investment? How come we don't demonstrate and riot to privatize NEPA? Don't we see what Dangote and co. has done with the cement sector where Nigeria can now export cement? Don't we see Eleme Petrochemicals, now Indorama performing wonders under private businessmen? INSTEAD OF CALLING ON GEJ AND FG TO PROVIDE ROADS, RAILS, HOUSING, ELECTRICITY, NEW UNIVERSITIES, HEALTHCARE, AIRLINES, SEAPORTS, AND FUEL SUBSIDY, TELL FG TO GET OUT OF THE WAY. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH OIL IN THE NIGER DELTA TO PROVIDE FOR ALL OUR NEEDS. IT BELONGS TO THE OIL PRODUCING COMMUNITIES AND SHOULD BE GRADUALLY RETURNED TO THEM, BECAUSE IT IS THE ROOT OF OUR PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA.

Thanks, bro.

I feel very deep shame whenever we discuss issues like this. How many countries apart from Nigeria go into recession, because the oil price has dropped?
It just points us out as a lazy set of people who don't want to do anything for ourselves as far as "free" oil money flows. People ask the FG for things that their LG's and states should be providing and do not feel the slightest shame about it.

Please, fellow Nigerians, we are not disabled people. If your state and LG are not working to add to the economy, get yourselves together and burn down the governor and LG bosses house. According to the constitution, our states and LG's are meant to provide the following with the oil awuf:

Health care.
Primary School education.
Secondary school education.
Employment.
Industrial development.
Roads.
Infrastructure.
Security.
etc etc etc

Even Lagos (a former federal capital) needs the FG to foot 60% of its annual bill. angry
If LG's and states were playing their part, the country would be rich and nobody would give a toss about oil.

Maybe we need a really serious recession to get us thinking and get us creative.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ypzilanti: 5:26pm On Jun 14, 2012
Beaf:

Thanks, bro.

I feel very deep shame whenever we discuss issues like this. How many countries apart from Nigeria go into recession, because the oil price has dropped?
It just points us out as a lazy set of people who don't want to do anything for ourselves as far as "free" oil money flows. People ask the FG for things that their LG's and states should be providing and do not feel the slightest shame about it.

Please, fellow Nigerians, we are not disabled people. If your state and LG are not working to add to the economy, get yourselves together and burn down the governor and LG bosses house. According to the constitution, our states and LG's are meant to provide the following with the oil awuf:

Health care.
Primary School education.
Secondary school education.
Employment.
Industrial development.
Roads.
Infrastructure.
Security.
etc etc etc

Even Lagos (a former federal capital) needs the FG to foot 60% of its annual bill. angry
If LG's and states were playing their part, the country would be rich and nobody would give a toss about oil.

What has the governing party done in terms of rectifying this anomaly? Why are not making moves to amend the revenue generation formula of the nation? They are they majority in state legislation assemblies and the federal assembly. Nothing.

Why? Because the present system suits them just very well.

This is the leadership the President should be providing and spending political capital on. Not mundane things like renaming institutions and seeking a single term of 5 or 6 years for the executive.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by lacasa: 5:30pm On Jun 14, 2012
Mtcheeeeu

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by pauloman(m): 5:37pm On Jun 14, 2012
dasparrow: I am quite disappointed about the so-called new visa policy. So while countries around the world are guarding and tightening their borders, Nigeria is gladly opening hers. I don't know why our leaders can't seem to get it right. How can we boost tourism when there is no security and stability in the country? or do our leaders think the world is not aware that every sunday now, boko haram is blowing people up? How can we attract investors when we still cannot boast of 24 hours of uninterrupted electric/power supply?

Our leaders want to copy the west but they fail woefully at it because we are not organized as a nation. Even right now, we have many chinese, lebanese, and indian people in Nigeria who are not skilled migrants and are driving okada or selling in the market place so what happens when we start issuing visa at the port of entry? Foreigners who are conversant with the high levels of corruption in Nigeria will just bribe their way through. Mean while, other nations are busy deporting Nigerians anyhow, lol. We better wake up before we become strangers in our own land/turf/country. It seems we Nigerians don't think about the future.

DUMB A-R-S-S LEADERS.....why am i not surprised !!??
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 5:39pm On Jun 14, 2012
ypzilanti:

What has the governing party done in terms of rectifying this anomaly? Why are not making moves to amend the revenue generation formula of the nation? They are they majority in state legislation assemblies and the federal assembly. Nothing.

Why? Because the present system suits them just very well.

This is the leadership the President should be providing and spending political capital on. Not mundane things like renaming institutions and seeking a single term of 5 or 6 years for the executive.

If you like, keep thinking about "the governing party" and don't get your arse off the floor.
It is this abysmally lazy style of thinking that has seen Nigeria retrogressing since 1960.

It it your personal duty [/b]to either call your LG boss and state governor to order or STFU. For example, you do not expect what you call "the governing party" to ask ACN's Aregbesola to leave Lagos and move back to Osun. That is for the people to do, if they fail, then it becomes the failure of that state and the party he belongs to alone. It would not be attributable to what an indolent intellect would call, "the governing party."

[b]It it your personal duty
to call your governor and LG boss to order, because you voted the phuckers into power. Keep waiting for awuf from "the governing party" and oil awuf from Abuja. angry

A very deep recession will straighten a lot of minds. When bele touch back, una go begin tink well.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by rapu4real: 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
BASTARDS......y r dey telling us??we av been in recession since d year began....i see a bloody revolution soon...
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by monami2abd: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2012
Reading all these comments, i can comfortably say we are getting there..... Soon real nigerians will have nothing left to eat than our amiable leaders.., oh! How i luv dis season film "The fall of naija".. Sad though dat real people are dying in dis movie......
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by freshmoney(m): 6:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
Okonjo how can you better define 'Economic Recession' clearer than the one that is hitting us? How do you chronicle a country with low standard/living and high cost of living? How about injecting the embezzled funds into our economy? undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by 1025: 6:08pm On Jun 14, 2012
thank God world bank ppl listened to me and stayed away from this wicked woman who all of a sudden become an agent of the dare devils(pdp). na God go punish all of them.
look at the ways and manners these evils men and woman are stealing our wealth openly without anyone saying or doing anything.
what has happened to this american woman's experiences in managing money? soon, she will run back to america to enjoy her loots.
no wonder we have rulers whose children are drug addicts and mentally ill idiots. we course them and their families daily.
they only increase the fuel price and electricity tariff just to see more money to steal.
they will suffer no matter how rich they are.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by nifemi01(m): 6:10pm On Jun 14, 2012
What economy?? Recession? What d heck is dis woman talking about? Naija economy is default.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by rman: 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2012
Aregbesola and ACN again!

Beaf:

If you like, keep thinking about "the governing party" and don't get your arse off the floor.
It is this abysmally lazy style of thinking that has seen Nigeria retrogressing since 1960.

It it your personal duty [/b]to either call your LG boss and state governor to order or STFU. For example, you do not expect what you call "the governing party" to ask ACN's Aregbesola to leave Lagos and move back to Osun. That is for the people to do, if they fail, then it becomes the failure of that state and the party he belongs to alone. It would not be attributable to what an indolent intellect would call, "the governing party."

to call your governor and LG boss to order, because you voted the phuckers into power. Keep waiting for awuf from "the governing party" and oil awuf from Abuja. angry

A very deep recession will straighten a lot of minds. When bele touch back, una go begin tink well.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by 2mch(m): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2012
ok, now the thieves have told you people that they have no more money for you. The question is WWND (What will Nigerians do?)
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by manny4life(m): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem: of course after increasing the price of fuel. I said this during the fuel subsidy crisis even though I am not an economist neither am I intelligent or educated but I am certain that increasing the price of fuel (economic dependence) to world standard would expose our economy to the variation in the world. This was what I predicted.

Now I hope Manny4life would come and explain this. grin grin grin

alj_harem,

Why do you call my name?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ypzilanti: 6:31pm On Jun 14, 2012
Beaf:

It's an age old tradition for people with weak arguments to either attack the messenger, or try to change the topic.

You raised a valid point that the current system we run is not a true federal structure. I asked why a party that controls the majority in all the states and the federal assembly have not seen it fit to address this issue. I am waiting for an answer.

Secondly, you do not know me personally to ascertain my record on making demands from the government at my local government level, so your point is moot.

Thirdly, why should you embrace my right to criticize and make demands from my local government, but 'BEEF' at my right to hold the federal government that gets the bulk of the oil revenues responsible.

Go and ply the federal roads from Akwa Ibom to Cross river state. From cross river to benue state. From Lagos to Ibadan. from Port Harcourt to Enugu...the list is endless.

Most of these roads were built by the Gowon regime eons of years ago, and we cannot even maintain them, talk less of building new ones. Since IBB built third mainland bridge, the federal government has not built one single infrastructure that will impact the lives of many Nigerians and signal the strength and ingenuity of the people.

GEJ is following the same pattern of the PDP presidents before him. Plenty talk, no action.

As a developing nation, investment in infrastructure alone can employ half the unemployment rate, and there are many areas to invest in. Roads, railways, oil pipelines...

A time bomb is ticking. It always appears to the people in power that the populace is docile, until something sets off the trigger. History is littered with examples of thieving ruling elites that were caught unawares by the people.

For now, Nigerians are easily divided by tribalism and religion, making it easy to manipulate the populace, but one day, the hunger will be too much that the Niger Delta, Yoruba, Igbo, or Hausa Man will not care if the man in Aso Rock is from their village...he will just want the guys head on a plate.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 6:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
^
Dude, you are talking out of point like an awuf luv'n phuck. angry
You better learn to hold your LG boss to accountability instead of waiting for someone from Abuja to come clean your hairy arse.

If you voted for you governor and LG boss and they are in a different party from PDP, WTF do want PDP to do about calling them to order.
Dude, you are simply exhibiting the mental laziness that has caused Nigeria to decay and vegitate since 1960. It is personal your duty to call your state gov and LG boss to accountability.

In other countries, people rise and take the streets, but in Nigeria, lazy phucks wait for Abuja which is already feeding their localities with a free intraveinous drip (call it oil awuf) to write placards and burn down the place for them. No wonder Nigeria is so phucked up.

Abuja cannot make your phucking lazy governor and NURTW LG boss become accountable to you. There is nothing in the constitution that gives it that power, rather you are empowered by the constitution to do exactly that; but instead decide to roll over and and get phucked by LG bosses and state governors. What is worse is that you actually start volunteering your woman, friends etc for the same treatment.

Keep thinking your governor is a mere decoration whose only task is to grow fungi in his head for 4 years and to funnel the awuf for your development straight into his account.

If Nigerian states were developed, nobody would give a damn about the price of oil and the disgrace of the country going into recession as a result would never occur.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by aljharem(m): 6:42pm On Jun 14, 2012
samkoro:

I disagree
A country is affected by global economic upheavals to the extent its import and export relies on it and not price of fuel within the country.If Nigeria is a perfect system ,fuel price changes will neither have positive nor negatve.

That is to say that if you dicrease fuel ,citizen will pay less and enjoy ;limiting gov income and ependitureIncrease fuel price and citizens pay more while gov gains more money for further developement that may be more important than citizens wasting fuel because its cheap.If mass transit sytem is perfect I.e n[b]etwork of trains,fuel could sell for N500 per litre and still transportation will be cheaper than what we have now[/b]

You answered your own question yourself. Nigeria is not perfect system !!!! We have trashed this times without number.

Nigeria economy does not support economist theories !!! Each economy in each country have different theories that suit them.

Increasing the price of fuel would certainly affect the price of transportation, food etc. Now the worse mistake was to increase to world price, that is dumb because you basically expose your country to world price fluctuation. Also given the fact that Nigeria is a producer of this commodity, it is utterly stu.pid of us.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by aljharem(m): 6:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
manny4life:

alj_harem,

Why do you call my name?

Sorry manny4life, I know you are the economist on Nairaland and you love NOI to bits. Also I remember me having this discussion with you early this year and apparently it has come to pass so tell me what theory would explain this, this time around.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ypzilanti: 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
Beaf: ^
You better learn to hold your LG boss to accountability instead of waiting for someone from Abuja to come clean your hairy arse.

If you voted for you governor and LG boss and they are in a different party from PDP, WTF do want PDP to do about calling them to order.
Dude, you are simply exhibiting the mental laziness that has caused Nigeria to decay and vegitate since 1960. It is personal your duty to call your state gov and LG boss to accountability.

In other countries, people rise and take the streets, but in Nigeria, lazy phucks wait for Abuja which is already feeding their localities with a free intraveinous drip (call it oil awuf) to write placards and burn down the place for them. No wonder Nigeria is so phucked up.

^

Whateva, Dude. I forgot that your job was was to promote GEJ's ineffective government. The federal government controls the majority of the oil revenue. They are stealing it and wasting it. They have not advocated true Federalism and resource control. The laws have not empowered and encouraged local governance. GEJ said so himself...infact he admitted while campaigning that local governance is virtually non existent in Nigeria. What laws have been enacted since he came into power to encourage Local governance? see the example of Rocha's okorocha who has tried to innovate a way of bringing local governance to the people. It may not work, but at least you can see the intention.

I'm not a lazy phuck if i am doing my job where I am employed at, or running my business. The president should do his job too.

You are the lazy phuck getting paid to preach lies on the internet.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by manny4life(m): 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem:

Sorry manny4life, I know you are the economist on Nairaland and you love NOI to bits. Also I remember me having this discussion with you early this year and apparently it has come to pass so tell me what theory would explain this, this time around.

YES. We did have this discussion, but apparently, what you're saying I said is not exactly what I said. If you can recall what I said, please do. Now, what exactly is your theory? That increased Oil price is about to expose Nigeria to recession? I need to know what exactly is your point. No argument, I like Dr. NOI, but I do not side with few of her theories but yes I do side with most of it.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ypzilanti: 7:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
Beaf: ^

Abuja cannot make your phucking lazy governor and NURTW LG boss become accountable to you. There is nothing in the constitution that gives it that power, rather you are empowered by the constitution to do exactly that; but instead decide to roll over and and get phucked by LG bosses and state governors. What is worse is that you actually start volunteering your woman, friends etc for the same treatment.

Keep thinking your governor is a mere decoration whose only task is to grow fungi in his head for 4 years and to funnel the awuf for your development straight into his account.

If Nigerian states were developed, nobody would give a damn about the price of oil and the disgrace of the country going into recession as a result would never occur.

GEJ should try campaigning on that premise after his failed government.

I would love to see him explain how his presidency has nothing to do with the death traps called roads on our federal highways. The lack of electric power. the dismal state of education and unemployment. 'It's not my fault...its your governors'

When you concentrate the majority the funds in the center, you bear a majority of the responsibility.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 7:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
ypzilanti:

Whateva, Dude. I forgot that your job was was to promote GEJ's ineffective government. The federal government controls the majority of the oil revenue. They are stealing it and wasting it. They have not advocated true Federalism and resource control. The laws have not empowered and encouraged local governance. GEJ said so himself...infact he admitted while campaigning that local governance is virtually non existent in Nigeria. What laws have been enacted since he came into power to encourage Local governance? see the example of Rocha's okorocha who has tried to innovate a way of bringing local governance to the people. It may not work, but at least you can see the intention.

I'm not a lazy phuck if i am doing my job where I am employed at, or running my business. The president should do his job too.

You are the lazy phuck getting paid to preach lies on the internet.

Don't worry, keep begging GEJ and PDP to come call your ACN/CPC/APGA/LP governor and LG boss to order. When you have finished that, line up for your own awuf as subsidy. If those elected to represent you are unaccountable to you, it is your duty to sieze the streets and set the place on fire. Only a fool would wait for someone else who is already throwing freebies at you to come and help.

Rocha Okorocha is doing well, but your own governor is most likely a person and your LG boss might be better running a motorpark. Ask Rochas Okorocha if he was told by GEJ or if his party APGA asked PDP for permission to perform well.

If Nigeria wasnt filled with lazy toads like you, we wouldn't be in the least bit bosthered about the prize of oil, because industry, agriculture etc would have taken up the slack.

Bloody lazy awuf luv'n phuck.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by armstrongx(m): 7:14pm On Jun 14, 2012
MUMMY TANKX IN MAKING OUR COUNTRY BETA.I HAI; U KEEP ON FIGHTING AND SAYING THE TRUTH.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 7:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
ypzilanti: [/b]

GEJ should try campaigning on that premise after his failed government.

I would love to see him explain how his presidency has nothing to do with the death traps called roads on our federal highways. The lack of electric power. the dismal state of education and unemployment. 'It's not my fault...its your governors'

When you concentrate the majority the funds in the center, you bear a majority of the responsibility.

You want him to campaign to be your governor next? What a clown!
When you talk about funds being concentrated in the centre; it simply arms me with a few questions to riddle your lazy mind with:

1. What if there was no oil, would there have been money to share to your lazy arse?
2. What if there no awuf to give you, would your states have been an almajiri on permanent UN Aid?
3. Does a phucker like you not realise that it is exploitation for 5 states to feed 36?
4. Do you consider your thoughts to be the same as those of a parasite?
5. Would it shock you to learn that there are mere cities that generate more wealth than the entire Nigeria?

Its always interesting to talk to moral and intellectual mud munchers; it reveals a damn lot about the damaged psyches running around the place. This is a post I made on another thread. Enjoy:

Beaf: [size=14pt]What do your state an LG contribute to Nigeria and what have you done to ensure they contribute?[/size]

I am tired of hearing people complain forcefully about Nigeria, while absolving their state and local govts of any responsibility.
It is a shocking approach to our developmental problems.

First of all, in a federal system, ALL government units have a responsibility to generate wealth, representation, fulfilment and wellbeing for the citizens under their wing. However, in today’s Nigeria state and LG's do little more than collect money from the FG on a monthly basis.
The acceptance of this state of affairs by the citizenry is clearly a disgrace that points to exactly why we have so woefully failed to develop.

At the heart of the acceptance of the begging trail to Abuja is a gross misunderstanding of how a federal govt should function. This widespread misunderstanding can be laid firmly at the foot of years of traumatising military rule in which the head of state sat over the country as a great god from whom all things flowed.
It was in the interest of these great gods to sow chaos in the system to ensure that Nigeria was always there for them to milk.

So much energy has been concentrated on easy loot from oil that we have forgotten how to be creative and have become a people who exist as spongers and who only wish to become “better” spongers. Here is what creativity, honest sweat and determination have produced for the cities below that ALL make more money than the ENTIRE Nigeria:

Nigeria: GDP (PPP) 2009 estimate $341.572 billion
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2007&ey=2010&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=694&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=38&pr.y=14

Tokyo (Japan) $ 1479 billion
New York City (United States) $ 1406 billion
Los Angeles (United States) $ 792 billion
Chicago (United States) $ 574 billion
London (United Kingdom) $ 565 billion
Paris (France) $ 564 billion
Osaka (Japan) $ 417 billion
Mexico City (Mexico) $ 390 billion
Philadelphia (United States) $ 388 billion
São Paulo (Brazil) $ 388 billion
Washington D.C. (United States) $ 375 billion
Boston (United States) $ 363 billion
Buenos Aires (Argentina) $ 362 billion

Here are two power plants owned by local governments in the UK. These damn things are not owned by the British govt, but by LG's:

SELCHP (35MW) – Lewisham and Southwark Councils

Greenwich Power Station (117MW) – Standby power station for Greater London

Many of us were out rioting for #Occupy, whereas our states and LG's are rotting edifices with no purpose, outside an awuf scramble.
[size=14pt]WHAT HAVE YOU DONE OR ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO TO MAKE OUR STATES AND LG'S PRODUCTIVE?[/size] angry

https://www.nairaland.com/893780/what-state-lg-contribute-nigeria
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by aljharem(m): 7:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
manny4life:

YES. We did have this discussion, but apparently, what you're saying I said is not exactly what I said. If you can recall what I said, please do. Now, what exactly is your theory? That increased Oil price is about to expose Nigeria to recession? I need to know what exactly is your point. No argument, I like Dr. NOI, but I do not side with few of her theories but yes I do side with most of it.

alj harem:

You answered your own question yourself. Nigeria is not perfect system !!!! We have trashed this times without number.

Nigeria economy does not support economist theories !!! Each economy in each country have different theories that suit them.

Increasing the price of fuel would certainly affect the price of transportation, food etc. Now the worse mistake was to increase to world price, that is dumb because you basically expose your country to world price fluctuation. Also given the fact that Nigeria is a producer of this commodity, it is utterly stu.pid of us.

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by 2mch(m): 7:22pm On Jun 14, 2012
wow, is beaf trying to pass the blame of the recession unto Nigerians? grin cheesy. I never believed this day will come. hahahahaha!!! Let Nigeria experience the recession o jare. Bring it on. The faster this regime gets a taste of their medicine the better. What about the billions allocated to GEJ for food during this recession? I bet they will still be eating well in Aso rock, not so? Obviously the finance minister has nothing much to offer anymore. It is time he finds someone she can be an assistant to. What about that guy they sacked for telling them the truth? I forgot his name now. . . The earlier the better for these pack of foo*ls. Everyday for the thief . . .. Madam still gets paid in dollars not so? ok na.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ayonuga(m): 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2012
Lollllsss, if this isn't a recession already, then I wonder what a recession in Nigeria would look like. I don't think these leaders even know what's happening to the "average" Nigerian that lives on less than $2 a day. WTF people might aswell just start packing their loads to Aso Rock make everyone go dey live for there. God Bless Nigeria
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2012
2mch: wow, is beaf trying to pass the blame of the recession unto Nigerians? grin cheesy. I never believed this day will come. hahahahaha!!! Let Nigeria experience the recession o jare. Bring it on. The faster this regime gets a taste of their medicine the better. What about the billions allocated to GEJ for food during this recession? I bet they will still be eating well in Aso rock, not so? Obviously the finance minister has nothing much to offer anymore. It is time he finds someone she can be an assistant to. What about that guy they sacked for telling them the truth? I forgot his name now. . . The earlier the better for these pack of foo*ls. Everyday for the thief . . .. Madam still gets paid in dollars not so? ok na.

In a single word; yes.
We need a very deep and wicked recession to get us thinking straight and realising that father christmas methods are not the best way to run things.

Let the oil price crash to absolute zero, then we will see who would line up for awuf instead of calling their elected officials to order. They are not mere decorations.
The day money dries up in Abuja is the day the veil of idiocy hanging over our beloved country will be lifted. That is when we will suddenly realise the joys of wearing "Igbo made," the joys of self application. On that day, every Nigerian would drop the current idiotic fad of thinking upside down and employ of critical thinking with pride. On that day, Nigeria will begin exploding developmentally.

If you doubt it, then I'll ask a personal question:
If oil dries suddenly up and the economy bottles, schools fold up, salaries dry up; would you personally join a UN line for a bowl of food from a drum or would get off your arse and do something to bring in the coins? cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG To Halt Importation Of Petroleum Products By 2018 — Aganga / The Origin Of Nigeria [video] / Sirika Arranged With Ethiopian Air To Use Risky Planes For Nigeria Air - Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.