Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,754 members, 7,955,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:25 PM

Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession (12811 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Nigeria Is Sliding Into Economic Recession Under Buhari’s Watch – Olisa Agbakoba / Don’t Pay For Bail Again—police IG Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by manny4life(m): 7:45pm On Jun 14, 2012
@alj harem,

One thing is certain, increase in fuel prices (domestically) will not plunge a $260billion economy into recession. Nevertheless, I will acknowledge that it might slow down economic activities such as spending due to increased prices, BUT DEFINITELY NOT RECESSION. Recession goes beyond domestic fuel prices, 'were talking about something more broad. Take the components of GDP that cause economic growth, reverse their growth and you have an economic slowdown (recession). I do see your argument, but I do not agree 100% with you; just like before, and now again.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by bashr8: 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2012
pls nigerians lets start holding our governors responsible , i know federal govt is looting us blind too but the truth is that they have never denied any state their due allocation ,it is governors and out representatives that are robbing us and not GEJ .lets open our eyes ,every state in nigeria have what it takes to be independent and i think its not too late to start working towards that , u can start from ur sreet, comunity or village or even city or state depending on ur capacity as an individual,company ,ngo etc. remember that when america went into reccession there were states that were still doing fine because those states producd most basic things they need especially food and clothing , its never too late.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
Okonjo-iwealas new "Economic Recession" is just another FRAUD in the making.
The people should be on the watch cos this may be another subsidy style of a new economic policy fraud.

Northern nigeria was merged to the southern part before indepandence due to recession.
So its not new to the masses who's been experiencing recession for decades or could it be she's telling the looters in govt to cut down on their expenses cos the country is broke?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
A lot of Nairalanders use common sense to tackle/comment on advance economic issues. Recession is imminent and Nigeria is not economically immunized to evade it. The dynamics are very apparent. If price of oil falls below $70, for even 6 straight months, there will no salaries for civil servants and politicians. Even if you dont work in those sectors, it means, very little cash running after goods, its called "deflation" so, in essence, a fish seller wont see money to pay his landlord, the okada guy will hardly see passengers and people go hungry. The only people who could survive are people who earn foreign exchange, either via exportation, and any other thing that drives income from abroad independent of the Nigerian economic dynamics etc.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
shocked
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Remii(m): 9:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ngozi okonjo iweala just said on AIT that Nigeria FGN spent N1.03tr on recurrent expenditure and N94b on capital expenditures in 2012 so far, Is that the posture of a country with vision 20 2020 in mind?.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Jun 14, 2012
Remii: Ngozi okonjo iweala just said on AIT that Nigeria FGN spent N1"03tr on recurrent expenditure and N94b on capital expenditures in 2012 so far, Is that the posture of a country with vision 20 2020 in mind?.

This was while she was in charge ooo, and we are less than half way through. grin grin grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by aktunde(m): 9:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
It never seizes to amuse me that people are just talking about impending recession in Nigeria at this time. As far as I am concerned, Nigeria has been on recession since October 1st, 1960 (from the first day of her independence). I am not saying that the colonial era is better, but I do not think things are any better since they left. it has only been good to those in Power. So, spare all all these. Nigeria has been in recession even before I was born. It's not new anymore. We are used to it already. So, madam find something else to say.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by maigaskiya1: 10:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem:

LOL grin grin grin grin Okija juju no kill me o !!! Ok sir I apologise. grin grin grin grin grin grin Okonjo I am sorry o !! courtesy of Okija

Anyway I hope you can explain the fault in my post. (still seriously waiting for Manny4life)
hahaha aji ure wise o u no want okija wahala.dats charmg
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by warrior101: 10:31pm On Jun 14, 2012
Beaf:

Thanks, bro.

I feel very deep shame whenever we discuss issues like this. How many countries apart from Nigeria go into recession, because the oil price has dropped?
It just points us out as a lazy set of people who don't want to do anything for ourselves as far as "free" oil money flows. People ask the FG for things that their LG's and states should be providing and do not feel the slightest shame about it.

Please, fellow Nigerians, we are not disabled people. If your state and LG are not working to add to the economy, get yourselves together and burn down the governor and LG bosses house. According to the constitution, our states and LG's are meant to provide the following with the oil awuf:

Health care.
Primary School education.
Secondary school education.
Employment.
Industrial development.
Roads.
Infrastructure.
Security.
etc etc etc

Even Lagos (a former federal capital) needs the FG to foot 60% of its annual bill. angry
If LG's and states were playing their part, the country would be rich and nobody would give a toss about oil.

Maybe we need a really serious recession to get us thinking and get us creative.

My creative mind tells me to become a ppimp...
Ladies and Gents apply today...

Slogan- $ex Pays tongue
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by defbond1: 10:31pm On Jun 14, 2012
MoD
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by 1025: 10:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
@alj harem,

One thing is certain, increase in fuel prices (domestically) will not plunge a $260billion economy into recession. Nevertheless, I will acknowledge that it might slow down economic activities such as spending due to increased prices, BUT DEFINITELY NOT RECESSION. Recession goes beyond domestic fuel prices, 'were talking about something more broad. Take the components of GDP that cause economic growth, reverse their growth and you have an economic slowdown (recession). I do see your argument, but I do not agree 100% with you; just like before, and now again.

@manny4life,
all these useless borrowed language and grammars will come to an end the day nigerians stand up against these crooks. what did okonjo iweala tell nigerians that made her leave the first time and why did she come back the second time. you think those in charge of the world bank are not wise? they wouldn't give such a sensitive position to a pdp trained/brainwashed fraud.
components my foot. fuel hike, electricity tariff hike, fertilizer hike, corruption, stealing and looting of public funds by the same group that speaks components and recession. why won't there be recession in a country where looting of public funds is legalized?
who told u okonjo iweala and sanusi are saints among evils? na story. they are all partners in the crime. all funds stolen happened with the consent of our able saint okonjo finance minister.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by warrior101: 10:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
Seriously, I think the new visa policy is a good idea...
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by cap28: 10:44pm On Jun 14, 2012
beleive it or not nigeria has been experiencing economic growth since 2009, in 2010 alone Nigeria's economic growth peaked at 7% because of high oil prices - Despite all of this wealth the nigerian masses have continued to get poorer year after year. Since 1985 (babangida's tenure) the standard of living of most nigerians has continued to fall.

In addition the nigerian govt runs one of the world's most expensive govts - with nigerian senators earning more than their US counter parts for doing absolutely nothing. Can anyone count the number of hangers on and useless wastes of space that are in Goodluck Jonathan's entourage - all of these leeches are being paid beleive it or not.

The truth of the matter is that okonjo iweala and her cronies thought that the gravy train of endless loot would never come to an end but being complete fools they didnt realise that the price of oil can go down as well as up -now it looks like the good old days might be coming to a close soon if oil prices continue to fall, hence the warning from Okonjo Iweala that recession lays ahead -what she really means is that when the price of oil falls the nigerian govt will look for new ways to squeeze the already impoverished nigerian masses in order to enable her and her cronies continue to reap where they did not sow. I predict more draconian economic policies which i am certain will push the majority of nigerians over the edge. - Revolution is just around the corner.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Katsumoto: 2:31am On Jun 15, 2012
cap28: beleive it or not nigeria has been experiencing economic growth since 2009, in 2010 alone Nigeria's economic growth peaked at 7% because of high oil prices - Despite all of this wealth the nigerian masses have continued to get poorer year after year. Since 1985 (babangida's tenure) the standard of living of most nigerians has continued to fall.

In addition the nigerian govt runs one of the world's most expensive govts - with nigerian senators earning more than their US counter parts for doing absolutely nothing. Can anyone count the number of hangers on and useless wastes of space that are in Goodluck Jonathan's entourage - all of these leeches are being paid beleive it or not.

The truth of the matter is that okonjo iweala and her cronies thought that the gravy train of endless loot would never come to an end but being complete fools they didnt realise that the price of oil can go down as well as up -now it looks like the good old days might be coming to a close soon if oil prices continue to fall, hence the warning from Okonjo Iweala that recession lays ahead -what she really means is that when the price of oil falls the nigerian govt will look for new ways to squeeze the already impoverished nigerian masses in order to enable her and her cronies continue to reap where they did not sow. I predict more draconian economic policies which i am certain will push the majority of nigerians over the edge. - Revolution is just around the corner.

That I believe is the coded message she was passing on.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Katsumoto: 2:53am On Jun 15, 2012
Beaf:

In a single word; yes.
We need a very deep and wicked recession to get us thinking straight and realising that father christmas methods are not the best way to run things.

Let the oil price crash to absolute zero, then we will see who would line up for awuf instead of calling their elected officials to order. They are not mere decorations.
The day money dries up in Abuja is the day the veil of idiocy hanging over our beloved country will be lifted. That is when we will suddenly realise the joys of wearing "Igbo made," the joys of self application. On that day, every Nigerian would drop the current idiotic fad of thinking upside down and employ of critical thinking with pride. On that day, Nigeria will begin exploding developmentally.

If you doubt it, then I'll ask a personal question:
If oil dries suddenly up and the economy bottles, schools fold up, salaries dry up; would you personally join a UN line for a bowl of food from a drum or would get off your arse and do something to bring in the coins? cool

Whilst I agree that Nigerians should hold their elected officials accountable, your position ignores the following:

1. The government at the centre is bloated, inefficient, and corrupt. It is a complete wastage of scarce resources.

2. The government is responsible for tackling corruption and not ordinary Nigerians. Surely, you can't expect ordinary Nigerians to take the laws into their own hands.

3. Since Nigeria runs a unitary style of government, most states and L.Gs are handicapped since they most wait for the government at the center to formulate and SUCCESSFULLY implement policy.

4. Regardless of whether a country runs a federalist, unitary, confederationist, type of government, the federal government is ALWAYS responsible for setting macro-economic and micro-economic policies.

5. Just as State and LGs have failed in providing essential and required services and infrastructure, the federal government must take the lion share of the blame. death traps on the roads, a murdering aviation sector, uncaring health and underfunded education sectors are all symptoms of an inefficient and ineffective government.

6. The Dogs in the middle and at the back in a dog-sled are dependent on the dogs in front to lead and guide them when in motion. If the leading dogs are useless, the trailing dogs equally become useless.

I understand you always want to defend GEJ but surely, you have to realise that even performing administrators worldwide are not infallible let alone one that isn't performing.

Just my opinion.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Katsumoto: 3:11am On Jun 15, 2012
samkoro:

I disagree
A country is affected by global economic upheavals to the extent its import and export relies on it and not price of fuel within the country.If Nigeria is a perfect system ,fuel price changes will neither have positive nor negatve.

That is to say that if you dicrease fuel ,citizen will pay less and enjoy ;limiting gov income and ependitureIncrease fuel price and citizens pay more while gov gains more money for further developement that may be more important than citizens wasting fuel because its cheap.If mass transit sytem is perfect I.e network of trains,fuel could sell for N500 per litre and still transportation will be cheaper than what we have now

I am sorry but that is just not true. Firstly, there is no perfect system anywhere.
Secondly, a $10 rise in the price of crude shaves the GDP of developed countries by .3% and developing countries by 1.5%.
A simple example - assume you have 100 Naira to spend in a week; if the price of fuel increases from 20 Naira to 25 Naira, you will have 5 Naira less to spend on other products and services which affects the revenues of the companies/business people that miss out.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by aljharem(m): 3:22am On Jun 15, 2012
manny4life: @alj harem,

Ok manny4life, we are still watching. All it takes now is for the government to increase the fuel to 148 or so then you would understand better what I am talking about
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Beaf: 5:55am On Jun 15, 2012
Katsumoto:

Whilst I agree that Nigerians should hold their elected officials accountable, your position ignores the following:

1. The government at the centre is bloated, inefficient, and corrupt. It is a complete wastage of scarce resources.

Wastage of whose resources? Be reminded that oil comes only from the ND, I'm certain that it is only the ND's resources that are being wasted. Ihat begs the question of whate other regions, states and LG's contribute. And since they get awuf (which they waste anyway) for simply sitting at home and fanning their arses; kindly tell me who is wasting the most, the FG that is giving to states and LG's or the states and LG's that are simply conduit pipes for awuf to flow into personal accounts?

What has your state or LG done with its awuf?

Katsumoto:
2. The government is responsible for tackling corruption and not ordinary Nigerians. Surely, you can't expect ordinary Nigerians to take the laws into their own hands.

Last I heard, governor's are the chief security officers of their states. And the governors should be accountable to the people, if it isn't so, then there is a problem with the people who cannot demand the proper price for their vote. Why vote if its to make oneself a footstool to be spat on by all tiers of govt, but the FG?

Katsumoto:
3. Since Nigeria runs a unitary style of government, most states and L.Gs are handicapped since they most wait for the government at the center to formulate and SUCCESSFULLY implement policy.

That is patently false.

Katsumoto:
4. Regardless of whether a country runs a federalist, unitary, confederationist, type of government, the federal government is ALWAYS responsible for setting macro-economic and micro-economic policies.

Lets start from what states and LG's do with their awuf. Since they simply share it into their bank accounts and the people for some unfathomable reason fear to demand accountability for their vote, what would be the effect of any macro-economic and micro-economic policies?
In fact, you have just pointed out one solid reason why Nigeria is failing.

States and LG's are the real seats of corruption in Nigeria. These are places where people get elected to do fuckall and their electorate strangely look aside and blame the FG.

Katsumoto:
5. Just as State and LGs have failed in providing essential and required services and infrastructure, the federal government must take the lion share of the blame. death traps on the roads, a murdering aviation sector, uncaring health and underfunded education sectors are all symptoms of an inefficient and ineffective government.

You are muddling things up, bro. Aside from federal roads, all the stuff you mentioned is the responsibility of the state, LG or private sector.
Its the usual "blame the FG" Nigerian disease.

Katsumoto:
6. The Dogs in the middle and at the back in a dog-sled are dependent on the dogs in front to lead and guide them when in motion. If the leading dogs are useless, the trailing dogs equally become useless.

This is at best grasping air to provide for the stark failures at LG and state levels and the alarming failure of the abysmally ignorant populace to demand a fair price for their vote.

Katsumoto:
I understand you always want to defend GEJ but surely, you have to realise that even performing administrators worldwide are not infallible let alone one that isn't performing.

Just my opinion.

Is GEJ the reason your LG boss and governor are not developing your locality with the awuf they get? Or is he the reason why you refuse to demand accountability from your LG and state?
What if there was no oil to exploit, would your entire state be on a UN food line?
It is not too late to start campaigning for a change in attitude, bro.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by redsun(m): 6:37am On Jun 15, 2012
Recession! In a rogue state where nothing is in place for the common man. This woman likes to sound like a serious minded financial expert in a functional country. She almost sound like the governor of bank of england,talking bull.

She is a crook.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by redsun(m): 6:44am On Jun 15, 2012
There cannnot be recession in a country like nigeria that havent started developing yet. There are millions of basic economic activities to keep the economy going.

Basic needs for the people,not world bank ill crafted economic procedures and magomago. We dont need that.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by crown777(m): 8:30am On Jun 15, 2012
If U had $1 billion(160 billion naira) and spent $1,000(160k) a day, it would take U 2,749 years to spend it all. @ GEJ,OBJ & IBB = Methuselah ... Recession my ass... Bunch of pen robbers
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by davida222(m): 8:41am On Jun 15, 2012
You Nigerians are really suffering and smiling. undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by chiefImam2: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2012
Fellow NL members pls. let's advice them on what to do, and how sure are we that these people are reading this our trend, or is there any other channel we can get in touch with them, or how best can they listen to us. Thanks
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by malc619(m): 10:18am On Jun 15, 2012
Beaf:

States and LG's are the real seats of corruption in Nigeria. These are places where people get elected to do fuckall and their electorate strangely look aside and blame the FG.

Is GEJ the reason your LG boss and governor are not developing your locality with the awuf they get? Or is he the reason why you refuse to demand accountability from your LG and state?

What if there was no oil to exploit, would your entire state be on a UN food line?

I agree with you to an extent....

Charity begins from home, some persons find it impossible to call their state and local govt officials to order, but raise their voices loud when the FG is involved...

Most parts of Nigeria are under-developed not because of the FG but because the state and LGA assume that their only duty is to pay salaries to their over-sized workforce. They do not think of creative ways to attract investments into their regions and boost IGR. These people should be held responsible alongside the FG for Nigeria's problems...
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by ypzilanti: 12:42pm On Jun 15, 2012
Beaf:

Wastage of whose resources? Be reminded that oil comes only from the ND, I'm certain that it is only the ND's resources that are being wasted. Ihat begs the question of whate other regions, states and LG's contribute. And since they get awuf (which they waste anyway) for simply sitting at home and fanning their arses; kindly tell me who is wasting the most, the FG that is giving to states and LG's or the states and LG's that are simply conduit pipes for awuf to flow into personal accounts?

Last I heard, governor's are the chief security officers of their states. And the governors should be accountable to the people, if it isn't so, then there is a problem with the people who cannot demand the proper price for their vote. Why vote if its to make oneself a footstool to be spat on by all tiers of govt, but the FG?

That is patently false.

Lets start from what states and LG's do with their awuf. Since they simply share it into their bank accounts and the people for some unfathomable reason fear to demand accountability for their vote, what would be the effect of any macro-economic and micro-economic policies?

You are muddling things up, bro. Aside from federal roads, all the stuff you mentioned is the responsibility of the state, LG or private sector.

This is at best grasping air to provide for the stark failures at LG and state levels and the alarming failure of the abysmally ignorant populace to demand a fair price for their vote.

Repeating the same argument over and over till infinity.

What steps has the President taken to entrench local governance in Nigeria? Let the Niger Delta keep their resources...I agree.

Now, before we take such a step, to prevent a total breakdown of the so called present State governments, we need to start talking about how to merge states and local governments to make sure that they are viable entities...has PDP taken any steps to do this? NO!

The governors are the security officers without a constitutional state police? yeah...right.

Why is the federal government in charge of airports and seaports that should be the forte of state governments?

The main source of revenue for local governments in other countries is property taxes. Have we amended our constitution to give them the power to collect these taxes? Abi it is akara sellers they will tax and run the local governments?

The truth is that the ACN is the only party championing resource control in Nigeria. Your President who is even from the Niger Delta is moot on the topic. The only reason is because he is a direct beneficiary of the present warped system.

The funny thing is that once he leaves that seat, he will become the loudest voice shouting for resource control and State policing. It is an example of putting self before nation that our Presidents enjoy the benefits of a bad structure of governance, and then as soon as they leave power, they start demanding the restructuring of the system.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by manny4life(m): 12:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
alj harem:

Ok manny4life, we are still watching. All it takes now is for the government to increase the fuel to 148 or so then you would understand better what I am talking about

Well, fuel wouldn't get to N148 without buffer in place.

The time wasted and amount of energy used to criticize this woman, if used to petition the govt and your rep member to change how things are done in Nigeria, perhaps, there might be changes.

Everyone blames this woman for EVERYTHING. The woman ONLY control the federal finances, the states that contribute more than 3/4 of our economic activities, shouldn't they be held accountable as well? undecided undecided undecided

People who hate this woman are YET to tell us what she has done to deserve such hate. embarassed embarassed embarassed I don't know if it's because she's from the WBG, or what. Yall want her to raise the magic wand and solve Nigeria's decay from 50+years ago, meanwhile, yall close your eyes to corruption that's dwindling the economy.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by 401kk: 2:09pm On Jun 15, 2012
Beaf: If the states and LG's were not reliant on oil awuf, there would be no recession.

They have been constitutionally positioned to be perpetually reliant on the federal government. They're not to be blamed for that, rather they should be blamed for their gross inefficiency and maladministration, just like the FG.
The way we go on about oil in Nigeria, you would think the average person was an invalid with an IQ at fish level; too useless to produce anything, work, invent or be useful to society.

That's the problem! Nigerians are not educated.

The way we go on and on about oil, any foreigner would think the country consists of a pack of indolent who think that states and LG's only function as conduit pipes for awuf from Abuja.
True

I feel deep shame each time discussions like this one come up, because it is proof that Nigeria has no future.

We all do my brother.
Let us be in recession forever if that is what will get us thinking. A man who does not work should not eat.

Amen
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Katsumoto: 2:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
Beaf:

The federal government is giving but it doesn’t own it. The federal government itself isn’t generating anything, it is simply administering proceeds of oil from Oil producing states. Since ND isn’t a State or Region, it is a confusing misnomer. The three Regions in the South are all oil producing regions.
Secondly, since Nigeria remains unitary State, revenue being administered by the federal government is for all Nigerians. One would have thought that a president from an oil producing region belonging to a National Party which controls both chambers of the legislative would have should that majority together with his executive office to amend the Nigerian constitution to institute true federalism or confederationism. Can we put a complete inaction to the current system being more suitable for him?

Beaf:

This is a plain lazy argument. Governor’s being state chief security officer is akin to employing a guard and providing him with bow and arrows to fight intruders. The police commissioners in each state report to the IG in Abuja who is himself appointed by the President. Also, my point was about corruption and not security. If a Governor is found to be guilty of corruption, should he be arresting and arraigning himself in court? Isn’t that what toothless and corrupt EFCC is for?

Beaf:

That is patently false.

Please elucidate further.

Beaf:

This is a cop out. While I agree that States and LGs are just as wasteful and corrupt as the FG, the FG is responsible for setting macro and micro economic policies which are NECESSARY tools for growth and development.
Giving a fresh undergraduate all of his tuition in cash without providing guidance, mentoring, fiscal discipline and accountability will result in what obtains in Nigeria. Clear laid out goals and objectives leading to initiatives will ensure that funds are directed at appropriate goals. Just giving cash makes the FG just as complacent in the wasteful spending.

Beaf:

You mean the FG is only responsible for roads in Nigeria? If so, why is the FG keeping 53% of revenues and expecting 36 states and numerous LGs to share 47%. If the FG is spending 53% of Nigerian revenue on roads, then those roads must be the best in the world and not the death traps that they are.
The FG is currently responsible for Education, Health, security & Defense, Infrastructure, Aviation, etc

Beaf:

I disagree vehemently; like I stated earlier, the FG is at the top and should provide vision & direction. If it doesn’t want that responsibility, then the party with the majority should start the process of transferring more powers to the regions. I personally, don’t believe in States and LGs. They are just avenues for those at the center to install their puppets at the local level.

Beaf:

This is funny Beaf; you don’t even know my state or LG. I could be from Ondo state or any other oil producing state. So I could have the same lazy mentality that since I am from an oil producing community, I have more rights and claims to oil revenues.
Since you are throwing that question to me without knowing my background, I will do the same to you. What are you lot in Delta State doing about Uduaghan? Surely he is the most wasteful, corrupt, and incompetent governor in Nigeria. What is the doing about the plight of Deltans despite receiving one of the highest allocations in Nigeria?
GEJ is not performing; end of story.

Not much has changed in Nigeria since Yaradua became president and GEJ became president. You were one of the most vocal critics of Yaradua's govt; if most would agree that the lot of the average Nigerian has worsened, by do you suddenly believe the FG is blameless in their plight and that the blame lies with the people, the states and LGs?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by subterfuge: 4:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
RECESSION KO, RECESSION NI. CRAZY GREEDY WOMAN IS STILL SCHEEMING FOR WHERE TO IMPOSE TAX AGAIN ON THE INNOCENT HELPLESS MASSES IN NIGERIA.
THE WITCHCRAFT/CUM CULTIST MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO SUCCEED THIS TIME ARROUND.
THE HOLY BIBLE SAYS " SUFFER NOT A WITCH TO LIVE"
AFTER FRAUDULENTLY DEFRAUDING NIGERIANS OF THEIR HARD EARNED CASH. AFTER
HELPING TO IMPOVERISH THE ECONOMY OF THIS COUNTRY BY RECEIVING HER SALARIES IN DOLLARS??
THE UNFORTUNATE WORLD BANK PRESIDENT!!!!!!
MAYBE SHE HAS TWO HEADS!!!!
IF EVERY MINISTER IS PAID IN DOLLARS, WILL SHE BE SINGING RECESSION?
SHAMELESS NGOZI IWEALA FOR THE PIT LATRINE!!!
NGOZI FOR THE REFUSE BIN.
NGOZI FOR THE SEPTIC TANK OF EVERY HOME THAT SHE HAS CAUSED TO SUFFER HIGHER COST OF FUEL AND PERSISTENT BLACKOUT!!!!!!! EFFECTIVE POWER FAILURE ALL DAY, WEEK,MONTH, YEAR ROUND.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by sultaan(m): 7:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
Reserve don reach reserve, nobody fit give out loan to Naija when Paris Club sef dey borrow money from China grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession by Nobody: 3:15am On Jun 16, 2012
[size=18pt]Nigerians standard of living has taken a nosedive since Obasanjo commenced his last 8years in power.
Never before have we been warned of impending recession, when the government had previously systematically impoverished the Nigerian masses;

So if we are now being warned of impending recession, I dey fear for una oo, my fellow Nigerians i dey fear ooo!

The latest wave of impoverishment is gonna be so drastic that Nigerians may become dirt poor and amongst the poorest people in the world.

my people pay attention ooo!!

The first phase of the latest bid to impoverish us was hiking of fuel price.

I believe she is preparing us for the devaluation of the Naira, such that exchange rate may become approx $1 = N240

This means that a car that currently costs N99,000 would now cost N150,000

Bag of cement that cost N1,995 will cost approx N3,000

God help us!![/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Understanding The Oil Theft Business In Nigeria (All About Stolen Crude) / FG To Halt Importation Of Petroleum Products By 2018 — Aganga / Produce Apc Membership Card Of Dg Of Dss Or Shut Up, Apc Tells Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.