Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,021 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

"should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" (1927 Views)

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular??? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 26, 2007
i wanna know this
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by efuah(f): 11:31am On Nov 26, 2007
yeah, sometimes i do, some of the songs are not profane/evil. . . . some lyrics are advice and very true undecided
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by dafidixone(m): 11:34am On Nov 26, 2007
It depends what you call "secular" Music. undecided
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by stefykarl: 12:56pm On Nov 26, 2007
[b][/b][color=Black][/color]really is up to you and what u mean by circular, cos their are some songs sang by none believers that are quite inspirational and encouraging, so if u have such types, i dont think their ia a problem with that not the ones with the f and s words in them,
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by mellow(m): 1:08pm On Nov 26, 2007
Yes I do. Don't reall see anything with it.[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2007
A Christian has ears and desires and can listen to practically anything BUT only the spirit of God can convict a person of what is right and what is not good for the soul. I personally do not listen to secular music much as over the years, I have come to find Christian alternatives to the kind of music I used to listen to and I am quite content. I used to blast rock music all day long on my radio but now, I do same but christian rock. I believe the reason for the change has been basically me being sensitive to the spirit more than I am to self and I believe anyone can do same but it is up to the person and what the person is willing to sacrifice for God.
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by qw9049: 11:23pm On Dec 01, 2007
No, Christians should have nothing to do with the occult nor it's fruits.
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by Bobbyaf(m): 9:23am On Dec 02, 2007
Well, put it this way. Secular music can be very appealing, but if secular music means worldly music, then avoid it as best you can. Satan is very deceptive and is skillful in using music to hold many a captive. Another way to look at it is that when we place singers at the level we usually do we run the risk of commiting idolatry. Sometimes if we are not careful we give more glory to these artists than we give to Christ.

One may argue that there is nothing wrong with the lyrics of the songs, as long as they are clean, but what about the lives of the artists? What sort of lives are they living? If you listen keenly to some of the words, and not get caught up in the other aspects, you'll notice the subtle messages they give. Usually there is some subtle message that is hidden in the composition, that goes un-noticed because one is caught up with the beat and sound effects of the song.

An example is with Whitney Houston. She is a beautiful singer but she encourages adulterous practises in most of her love songs. Same goes for Mariah Carey, and a host of others.

The other side of the coin is when christians use the pattern of the world to create what they call "christian rock" or "reggae gospel" or "carnival gospel"

These composers argue that we need to reach people at their level, and especially the youth. Nonsense if you ask me. No amount of sensationalism or emotionalism can substitute for a bible-based and holy-Spirit-directed life in Christ. If Christ through His Spirit isn't pulling then it will not work.

Often times these same young people leave the church after the reality of the christian life confronts them.
Re: "should A Christian Listen To Secular Music?" by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 04, 2007
there are secular songs and there are SECULAR songs. depends. if your Heart's not in it, then don't listen at all. smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

Do The Angels Have Free Will / Do You Understand The Ten Commandments / What Do You Understand By Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.