Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,105 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track (7480 Views)

Senate Probes Obasanjo, Jonathan’s Power Sector Spendings / What Cost Jonathan Power In The End / CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by jmslimx(m): 6:57am On Jun 19, 2012
its only in Nigeria you pay for what you dont use from GSM to Power to Fuel , My bill this month is 18k for 3month with only fridge , flat screen , fan .. as i dey type like this light no dey ..i complained but deaf ears. Power cant change if corruption is not tackled from the people importing fuel to generator importers.

I have always asked my self if this so called government people don't travel abroad or even if they travel them dey put on a coke cola bottle as shades , because i have always asked this power generation in Nigeria , Why cant we use alternative energy , Solar (the northern states have 14 Hours of Sun Light daily what does it take those daf northern governors to build a Solar farm with all the billions we hear they steal on TV look at this link http://cleantechnica.com/2012/04/20/worlds-largest-solar-pv-power-plant-added-to-indias-grid/ this is Just India ooo) , why cant we use LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) which is not accounted for by the FG and that's what we give Ghana to power there power . What happens to windmills on the coastal line from PH to Lagos take a look at this link . How much did they spend and how much did OBJ steal and no body is questioning him http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-23/world/uk.largest.wind.farm_1_offshore-wind-farm-nearest-turbine-wind-turbines?_s=PM:WORLD

other countries are advancing evening making electricity wireless and Nigeria we are still talking of we are doing this we are doing that, it all depends on the youths if we don't standup now and fight this corrupt officials to safe guard the feature of our unborn child then we would be cowards as usual and wasted generation me inclusive
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by swintiney: 8:59am On Jun 19, 2012
jmslimx, i totally agree with you, these people saying all these things that
are not true use all desperate strategies to propagate their facts, most of
them are just new in NL, they try as much as they can to intimidate their
opponents with abusive strategies instead of focusing logically on driving
home their points, though with the exception of a few of them however who have
really been impressive despite speaking for Jonathan's Power Reform,.

The force at which they want to prove that what is not working almost after most
of them just signed up in NL including the poster remains marvelous, however,
i know they are up to a mission, what the mission is remains what time will tell,
however they should remember that the conscience is an open wound that only truth
can heal, and also they will be disappointed if they think they can force it
down our throats by mere bullying.

Let them keep it up, but should remember that they will reap adequate utilization of
darkness, i pass my neighbor generator usage and constant servicing, and the accompanying
environmental/noise pollution.

They should also be aware that a farmer that plants two tubers of yam and lies that
he planted ten tubers will harvest two tubers of yam and eight tubers of lies certainly.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by jmaine: 9:27am On Jun 19, 2012
swintiney: jmslimx, i totally agree with you, these people saying all these things that
are not true use all desperate strategies to propagate their facts, most of
them are just new in NL, they try as much as they can to intimidate their
opponents with abusive strategies instead of focusing logically on driving
home their points, though with the exception of a few of them however who have
really been impressive despite speaking for Jonathan's Power Reform,.

The force at which they want to prove that what is not working almost after most
of them just signed up in NL including the poster remains marvelous, however,
i know they are up to a mission, what the mission is remains what time will tell,
however they should remember that the conscience is an open wound that only truth
can heal, and also they will be disappointed if they think they can force it
down our throats by mere bullying.

Let them keep it up, but should remember that they will reap adequate utilization of
darkness, i pass my neighbor generator usage and constant servicing, and the accompanying
environmental/noise pollution.

They should also be aware that a farmer that plants two tubers of yam and lies that
he planted ten tubers will harvest two tubers of yam and eight tubers of lies certainly.

You have failed to simply refute the OP, yet scream they have a mission . . .

ikorodu axis is having one of their worst power crisis and the resisents are still very hopeful . . you know why ? . . . .new power infrastructure are being installed and old ones replaced e.g Transformers and power poles e.t.c . . .

In my area,light has slightly improved . .though i know this is not enough to shout hurray yet . .but positive things in the power sector are happening . .

Before you lunge in your two footed tackle on the presumed newbies . .make sure you abscond from the endemic nairaland stunts of always criticizing without recourse to certain plain facts . . .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Joey82(m): 9:34am On Jun 19, 2012
Well, i still maintain that the minister is towing same line has his predecessors, relying soley on gas driven plants and not even having an idea how to go about getting the gas to power his projects. why arent we thinking abt other conservative ways like hydro power. there are several rivers elsewhere that can be dammed to produce energy, river gongola is already dammed at kiri and can produce enof energy to power the entire state and beyond, the benue can also be dammed at katsina ala tributory to produce power for both benue and nasarawa, there's also river hadeja which can be dammed at wudil to provide power for jigawa and some parts of kano and lots more i may not know abt, why arent we thinking towards that direction? driving these plants on gas is way too expensive and isnt conservative.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Captainajama: 10:05am On Jun 19, 2012
.@ swintiney, some of us had started regarding you with some respect,but it seems youwan2 lose it . I for one have been on nairaland for a long time,and don't think it is a crime to have a new ID alongside the old one. If you look at the post and nature f arguements, you will agree with me that it does not look like the poster is new.....though am not his advocate but I do not ascribe to he fact that newness on his forum has anything to do with how well. There is a saying that it is not how far,but how well. Moreover, we are deliberating on an important national issue and in all the years I have spent on nairaland,we are and have been advocates of sensible and rational arguements....you inclusive. Let us focus on the issue at hand and stop this immature ways of reasoning and name calling. What attracted me to this topic is the fact that in my area at Agbama Housing estate in Umuahia where we had issues of not seeing NEPA lite for over 2 months and these stupid bills will just pop up with the corrupt NEPA officials(PHCN)coming to cut lite and asking for money to leave it, it has been a different story. The completion of the Alaoji power project and the sub station a ohiya has done an incredible job of power boost,as I speak, you can run your check or ask anyone from Umuahia and it's environs, we have lite for between 15 to 18 hours daily. It came as a shock and funny enough the state governor is taking I as one of his achievements. For every NIgerian to start feeling the impact of what GEJ is doing in this sector, might take a little time due the factors that has been X-rayed on this forum. So, I would appreciate it if some people that are sincerely saying things that are clear to them to be listened to and we can now constructively criticise with factual and substantiable evidences, just like I put to you now( so that you can find out and tell me it is all made up). Maturity is not only when you are 50. Peace.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Kabikala(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2012
Am I the only one that is aware of the massive gas pipeline project by Chevron, Shell and other multinationals in the Delta region of Nigeria? The project will be completed later this year and I am surprised the Minister did not refer to this in his interview.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Captainajama: 10:10am On Jun 19, 2012
Kabikala: Am I the only one that is aware of the massive gas pipeline project by Chevron, Shell and other multinationals in the Delta region of Nigeria? The project will be completed later this year and I am surprised the Minister did not refer to this in his interview.
am surprised too because my elder brother is an engineer on that project and he started changing his power views when he found out about the sincerity and the zeal to complete tha project in time.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Captainajama: 10:11am On Jun 19, 2012
[quote author=Captainajama][/quote] people please don't talk jus because you have mouth @ swintiney, hope you read me right
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Mandelaguy(m): 10:22am On Jun 19, 2012
Hahahaha. U think the poster is new on nairaland? No wahala. It is not for me to explain to you or not @ captainajama, please speak for ur self and don't run ur mouth for others. @ swintiney,if care is not taken, I became a nairalander before you, we are just spicing this forum up for the growth of of minds and the interest of our dear nation.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 19, 2012
hunger na baad thing

more self afirmmation than a becomrich/ucheuche thread
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by davo3286: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2012
hercules07: Working ko Working ni, you guys should stop fooling yourselves, the power sector is as comatose as ever.
If you feel the power sector reform of GEJ through Barth Nnaji is no good, then what contribution(s) can you or any member of your family submit to better it? Could you be kind enough to tell us? Some people wanna talk like they got better things to say but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of nonsense.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by psychu: 12:54pm On Jun 19, 2012
I will comment again by December after the October activity! smiley
bur how can a nation progress if the people do not trust and believe their leaders?
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by swintiney: 2:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
@Captainajama, why would people use multiple profiles, is it to gain advantage over
others? I actually went back to the profiles and discovered they are mostly new and
that the proponents were registered around same period, it actually looked suspicious.
Sincerely the thread was initially emphasizing on abuses rather than logically layed
out and facts which placed a pointer on desperation. However, i'm happy we are in
harmony that at least we should debate based on logic, fact and sound ideas rather
than creating word conflict.

I for one would like to see and say it the way you guys have seen and said it,
unfortunately i haven't been able to do so, many others have not seen it also, maybe
we may need to reach a compromise on whether we should adopt your claims as a syllabus
for power reforms instead of having it to mean that it is working already.
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by jmslimx(m): 6:27pm On Jun 19, 2012
jmaine:

You have failed to simply refute the OP, yet scream they have a mission . . .

ikorodu axis is having one of their worse power crisis and the resisents are still hopeful . . you know why . . . .new power infrastructure are being installed and old ones replaced e.g Transformers and power poles . . .

In my area,light has slightly improved . .though i know this is not enough to shout hurray yet . .but positive things in the power sector are happening . .

Before you lunge in your two footed tackle on the presumed newbies . .make sure you abscond from the endemic nairaland stunts of always criticizing without recourse to certain plain facts . . .

My brother I live in ikorodu too when I came in here there use to be light but this days is worsen and I havent seen any stuff like new transformers nd pole in my zone ooo..believe me brother the corruption is major problem we are facing if we can eliminate corruption our problems would reduce by 70% because I have being to india and south korea and have stayed in those countries u can't compare even as dirty as india is in some state they still have light ..power is best for the youths to stand up and fight this people in all ways. God bless Nigeria
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Mandelaguy(m): 8:22pm On Jun 19, 2012
jmslimx:

My brother I live in ikorodu too when I came in here there use to be light but this days is worsen and I havent seen any stuff like new transformers nd pole in my zone ooo..believe me brother the corruption is major problem we are facing if we can eliminate corruption our problems would reduce by 70% because I have being to india and south korea and have stayed in those countries u can't compare even as dirty as india is in some state they still have light ..power is best for the youths to stand up and fight this people in all ways. God bless Nigeria
Is fashola selective in his approach?
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by dayokanu(m): 8:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
Simple question, where is the light?
Re: Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track by Debokan: 10:13pm On Jun 19, 2012
BetaThings:
Missed milestones of the power sector roadmap

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/commentary/24821-missed-milestones-of-the-power-sector-roadmap

We have the will. This Roadmap shows the way". With those words President Goodluck Jonathan closed his speech in the presence of industry captains, leading government officials, investment bankers, international investors and development bankers as the Federal Government unveiled the Power Sector Roadmap - perhaps the most comprehensive policy document ever put together in Nigeria. It is now approximately 12 months since that gathering at Eko hotel and industry analysts are wondering if they picked up the wrong map. No you didn't. What you may have missed to grab is a territory brief - a detailed description of the socio-political nature of policy implementation in Nigeria.

Let me commence by reinstating, unlike most analysts, my conviction that the privatization boat of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) successor companies will eventually berth, though not without turbulence. Secondly, it is worth refreshing that the Electric Power Sector Reform Act 2005 (EPSR Act 2005) is the underlining document upon which the roadmap draws life. It is misleading to analyze the two documents in isolation. The act establishes what should be done and how. The roadmap simply outlines the plan to accelerate the pace of activity with respect to the EPSR Act. This became necessary as the process lost momentum under late President Yar'Adua.

The Presidential Action Committee on Power (PACP) constituted by President Goodluck Jonathan has done a good job of re-tracking the reform agenda and documenting an implementation path laced with milestones and performance timelines. However, these milestones, regrettably, are consistently being missed likewise the established timelines. Commentators have often blamed Nigeria's perennial sacrificial lamb - "the Nigerian Factor" for this failure. I do not subscribe to this school of thought. Infact, that phrase should now begin to take its place in Nigeria's archives given the renewed resolve, energy and determination of some Nigerians to do the right thing. Evidence can be fetched from the last general elections. Another excuse offered for this failure is the last general elections. Again, this is tenuous. Didn't policymakers know an election year was approaching while setting timelines and targets? Wouldn't it be prudent to anticipate electioneering delays and incorporate it in the programs? Shouldn't the machinery of existing reforms be running while new promises are made to the electorate?

By and large, the success of the reform agenda hinges on two platforms. First, the political will of Mr. President and the relevant political class. Secondly, and by extension, the ability of Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to set an appropriate cost reflective tariff now, not in future. It appears the former is consciously or unconsciously being established. NERC, however seems to be staggering along with its own end of the deal. Understandably, the first milestone established by the roadmap is that NERC will establish a "genuine cost reflective" pricing regime by Q12011. This obviously didn't happen and when the new price regime eventually takes effect in July 2011 the tariff as published by NERC will remain non-reflective of capital investment cost sufficient to attract discerning investors. The question then is why review prices at all if the new tariff regime will still fall short of achieving its objective which is to attract investment?

Policymakers have attempted to justify this by claiming the tariff increases are phased and that tariff will ultimately be increased to a cost reflective level during the transition period. It is further claimed that this approach will prevent a "rate shock" and help consumers within the R1 bracket adjust. This argument is economically defective. The least tariff per kwh that any Nigerian pays to self-generate electricity is in the region of N40-N60/Kwh. This includes capacity charge, energy charge and operation and maintenance charge excluding "inconvenience charge" (noise level, transaction cost, environmental impacts etc) which can double the figure when quantified. Hence, the rate shock argument is not compelling as the average Nigerian already pays thrice the tariff proposed through self-generation.

A second argument that has been put forward by policy makers is that a phased tariff introduction will guarantee potential investors of government's commitment to ultimately adopt a cost reflective tariff regime. Again, this is unconvincing. The Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) - the methodology upon which both arguments and indeed, graduated tariff regimes are based - aims to set electricity tariffs that support the viability and growth of the Industry over a 15year path appears insensitive to the immediate and urgent need for investment in the entire power sector value chain. Substantial volume of the envisaged $3.5billion/year investment in the power sector will be in the form of FDI's. These investors, looking to get in through Federal Government's divestment window, will undoubtedly underwrite parts of their investment in the form of political risk insurance.

Without comparing the risk profile of investments in the telecoms sector, it is worth mentioning that MTN and other telecom operators took similar insurances at the time of entering the Nigerian market. Aside from political disturbances, a prominent risk that investors look to cover under the political risk bundle is failure of regulators/government implementing planned tariff adjustments. This uncertainty undoubtedly adds to the risk premium payable on the bundle and ultimately the cost of service. NERC must understand this relationship and implement a genuine cost reflective tariff urgently. A key component of regulatory function is to balance the investor's quest for "adequate" return on investment with the consumer's desire for quality at a reasonable price. Regulatory policies must be skewed to achieve this balance.

Your post talks about 2011 and cost effective tarrif. We're in 2012 and that has been addressed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo: Nigeria Needs Urgent Action On Food As Population Surges / APC Primaries: Andy Uba Will Appeal The Judgement – Campaign Organization / 'you Are Blessed To Be White'-victoria Pepple of STV To 'white Nigerian'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.