Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. (8557 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . / Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by chucky234(m): 5:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
Its sad and strange but true,we are responsible our ordeal abroad. Many Nigerians abroad indulge in so many bad activities from stealing,fraud,drugs and so on which end up rubbing off on the innocent ones then turn back to hunt us back home.
In the last six months alone Nigerians have been extradited to the US for fraud cases amounting to USD300m,we need to change our attitude before the world can change the way they perceive us.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
Why wouldn't we be? Bad always outshines the good. Nigerians are known for 419, sex trafficking in Europe, drug trafficking in Asia, money laundering in the US, and then there are our countless crooks back home, including armed robbers, kidnappers, corrupt politicians, and terrorists. Aren't those things bad? It's not just Nigerians abroad. It's simply Nigerians.

Funny that the boy who graduated from John Hopkins University with a 3.98/4.0 GPA, Adeboyo Ogunlesi (owner of Gatwick Airport), Dr Olufunmilayo Olopade (appointed by Obama to US Cancer Advisory Board), and countless others come from the same nation.

Nigerians are intelligent people, but the few who use their intelligence negatively continue to give us bad name. Maybe if we try and focus on the good, more people would want to follow that path for recognition. #TeamOptimism

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by DaraAlina(f): 5:54pm On Jun 28, 2012
Everyone needs to realize this.. Within each nationality there are going to be a bunch of bad apples.. It's the same for my own people.. I would admit I read some post on Nairaland about how people hate Akata's (blacks),Latino and Caribbean people.. If I worried and took what every Nigerian said about my own people as truth.. I would of been dead ..

At the end of the day .. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PERCEPTION BE THE BEST WHO YOU ARE .. If a person don't like it tell them to kick HIMALAYAS !!!! wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by omanzo02: 5:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
Wasbayd: I need members to share their experiences and opinion about our Nigeria's bad eggs abroad, they are causing us harm and disgrace, and we suffer from the bad image they paste us. Nigeria is a great country with great name and recognition, but these bad ones make us also majorly stand for anything tagged "BAD" in foreign countries.

@op
The 'bad' tag on Nigerians have never discouraged me from being my ownself, The good thing about most people reasoning in europe where I am don't put everybody into one basket unless u have proven to be added to a bad basket, They may have heard stories about Nigerians and criminality, prostitution, drug etc, but when they meet one they want to find out 'why' it's so, Its is your dutie to educate them of the social decadence/belief behind the disgraceful behaviour, they will come to understand it's not different from what is also happening in their sourrounding, the fact is, it is very minimal among their citizens.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by mikuz(m): 6:08pm On Jun 28, 2012
Same reason why paypal doesnt partner with us
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Biggysmalls919(m): 6:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
We have a problem here at home and all those guys have done is to export their criminal acts.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
Nigeria is tagged so because we are despirate to commit any crime at any time and any where reasons are not far fetch is just becos our leaders pocket the tokens that supose to go to the poor pocket of the masses. This poverty has eat deep in the body of most Nigerian and force them out of the country to tap wealth any how. We are not realy bad but the bad eggs are actually a stigma!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by PJPNIG(m): 6:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
I do not know where to start so I will not even bother to begin.I believe that the average Nigerian knows the answer to this question. Those that are proud to be Nigerian should sit down and list 10 reasons why, and after that list what they have done to make Nigeria a better place to live in. And also God helps those that help themselves.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
It's a combination of things.

I honestly think that the proportion of bad to good Nigerians vs bad to good other-average-african-country is the same. The numbers seem high because of our population.

As far as other (Black) Africans:
Combine the high numbers of bad Nigerians with our competitive and "loud" natures,and ability to garner material success and influence (relative to them) then you have fodder for an interesting mix of facsination/envy/disgust/outright hatred.

As far as other races:

There is a high level of contempt for Black Africans already. The race/looking down on Africa factor, in addition to the explained above (for Black Africans) is a cause for outright derision of Nigerians. I have noticed that when other races describe Nigerians hatefully there is a tone of heightened contempt. Whereas for other Black Africans there is an element of anger and intent to sabotage. I suspect that the race thing is the main reason why Nigerians are generally regarded as worse than romanians, columbians, etc.

Make of it what you will.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 6:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
Spirit of Okija: Cos we are bad...

but we can change. Cant we?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Akiika: 6:46pm On Jun 28, 2012
...so Nigerians for home good abi?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by BlackBaron: 6:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
Quite unfortunate really.

However I disagree with 'only a few bad eggs' line. I'd wager a significant percentage of Nigerians are bad. The sooner we realise that the better. Most of the behaviour of Nigerians abroad is only an extension of the lawless society they originated from. Our society is sadly based on a wobbly foundation, where there is an innate desire to succeed in whatever way possible cue the fake drug manufacturers, to the all singing yahoo-yahozee boys dancing to their victims downfall without a smirk of remorse. Money reigns supreme here whether gotten by hook or crook. Most will still dance to the music of a billionaire armed robber if they had to in order to curry favour from them.

It is so bad even religion could not bring succor, its well known most only attend places of worship only because of the prosperity preaching rather than to derive a moral mantra.

At the end of it, there are still good NIGERIANS from the stories of the cab driver and airplane cabin cleaner returning suitcases of cash and wallets stuffed with huge amount of hard currency respectively to the stories of engineers working for NASA and others performing many medical feats. All this good achievements would still pale in significance to our peculiar over representation in crime statistics hence the issue of generalising and stereotyping of 'Everything Nigerian is bad' by some.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
There is also the media propaganda machine too, especially in countries with a significant (or visible) Nigerian population.

I remember reading somewhere that in Western media, whenever a Nigerian is caught doing bad the press is sure to highlight the fact that he/she is Nigerian, even if he or she is only Nigerian by heritage and a citizen of the said country.

For example - Chiwetel Ejiofor and the Imafidon twins (one of smartest kids in the UK) are labeled British, only incidentally of Nigerian parentage. But you can bet that if these individuals were caught doing a crime or something bad or embarrassing, they would be Nigerian and Nigerian 100% only (citizenship be damned).
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
With 419 and forgery, You cant beat Eastern Europeans to it but it doesnt get much publicity

In drug deals you cant beat Columbians to that.

In gangsterism and cartels and syndicate crimes you cant beat Italians, Asians and Mexicans
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^^ that is why I suspect that race is a main factor. But I could be wrong.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Buc(m): 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
Most Nigerians re bad even in Nigeria. So, what re we talking about? We re not even trying to change things. Imagine the case of Ibori whom our courts set free.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^^ so honestly, there are no other countries where "most people are bad", even if your assertion is true?

Only Nigeria?

If there are other countries (and believe me, I think there are), the question remains - why Nigeria?

You have countries so dissipated in hedonism and corruption, e.g (Thailand, russia, etc) that have more neutral reputations.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Jun 28, 2012
Buc: Most Nigerians re bad even in Nigeria. So, what re we talking about? We re not even trying to change things. Imagine the case of Ibori whom our courts set free.

You dont think most Romanians, Colombians, Ukrainians, Italians are equally bad?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by DaraAlina(f): 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
nnenna.1:
^^^ so honestly, there are no other countries where "most people are bad", even if your assertion is true?

Only Nigeria?

If there are other countries (and believe me, I think there are), the question remains - why Nigeria?

You have countries so dissipated in hedonism and corruption, e.g (Thailand, russia, etc) that have more neutral reputations.

Im in agreement... Thailand is known for transsexuals, AIDS, and human trafficking

Russians... KGB, Mobs, they smell like onion etc...

Chinese.. They do 419 too.. but its a little more upscale .. And let's not forget they bootleg/ knockoff everything
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by chucky234(m): 7:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
BlackBaron: Quite unfortunate really.

However I disagree with 'only a few bad eggs' line. I'd wager a significant percentage of Nigerians are bad. The sooner we realise that the better. Most of the behaviour of Nigerians abroad is only an extension of the lawless society they originated from. Our society is sadly based on a wobbly foundation, where there is an innate desire to succeed in whatever way possible cue the fake drug manufacturers, to the all singing yahoo-yahozee boys dancing to their victims downfall without a smirk of remorse. Money reigns supreme here whether gotten by hook or crook. Most will still dance to the music of a billionaire armed robber if they had to in order to curry favour from them.

It is so bad even religion could not bring succor, its well known most only attend places of worship only because of the prosperity preaching rather than to derive a moral mantra.

At the end of it, there are still good NIGERIANS from the stories of the cab driver and airplane cabin cleaner returning suitcases of cash and wallets stuffed with huge amount of hard currency respectively to the stories of engineers working for NASA and others performing many medical feats. All this good achievements would still pale in significance to our peculiar over representation in crime statistics hence the issue of generalising and stereotyping of 'Everything Nigerian is bad' by some.

Seconded without hesitation
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by babeface3: 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2012
Nigerians are discriminated against in Europe so much; its untalkable that everything that comes from Nigeria is doubted.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 28, 2012
babeface3: Nigerians are discriminated against in Europe so much; its untalkable that everything that comes from Nigeria is doubted.

As far as here in the US, most people try to play political correctness, but I have had the whole Nigerian being bad bit thrown in my face at work, school, etc.

Depressing really.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by PetroDolla: 8:25pm On Jun 28, 2012
you simply have a poor comprehension or your unbriddled hatred for Ghanaians clouded your sense of reasoning. read what the fella narrated. He said the Dutch engineer made a decision to pick the Ghanaian instead of the nigerians. Where did he remotely insinuate that the Ghanaian manipulated the Dutch to pick him? I'm sure if it wasn't a Ghanaian but any other nationality than nigerian that individual would have been picked,instead of a nigerian. it is a fact that nigerians have a terrible image around the world. That wasn't caused by Ghanaians, or was it?

tpia@:

i'm not surprised by this story at all.

in a situation where you have ghanaians and less than two nigerians [or where nigerians are a minority], what happens is the nigerian will get thrown out on his ear while/when/after the ghanaians team up together and manipulate/suck up to/deploy the whites or non-nigerians, to give them [nigerians] a hard time.

anybody who didnt know this before, had better know it now.

the problem with nigerians is our culture is very accomodating and welcoming to strangers- we are raised to play good hosts to people who are different from us, and to not discriminate.

so, when we go outside nigeria, this attitude follows us and when we meet other africans [say ghanaians for example], we think "oh hello, friend" whereas the ghanaian/other african is thinking "you bloody nigerian".

i think it has to do with the cultural mindsets of each tribe or nationality in africa.

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 28, 2012
Wasbayd: I need members to share their experiences and opinion about our Nigeria's bad eggs abroad, they are causing us harm and disgrace, and we suffer from the bad image they paste us. Nigeria is a great country with great name and recognition, but these bad ones make us also majorly stand for anything tagged "BAD" in foreign countries.
Point of correction. There r no 'good eggs when it comes to Nigerians only foul eggs. cos the truth is were really screwed the wrong way. sometimes I wondfer why I have 2 b a Nigerian. Of all the hundreds of countries and I had to be a citzen of this cesspit. If being Nigerian were robes Id cast off mine angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by joerux60: 8:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
statistically, the ratio of "good people" to "bad people" is more or less
the same in each and every country on planet earth. let'a say Nigeria has a pupulation of
150M and Zimbabwe 15M. If the ratio of good to bad people is 10 to 1, in numbers
this would project as 15M "bad Nigerians" to 1.5M "bad Zimbabweans".

So whereever these two groups of people move together, you should expect their deeds
to be more or less the same ratios in whatever they do. but the nigerian population would
be more visible because they are many.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Abrantie: 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
Because of incidents like this..

About 70 Nigerian militants occupying the Korkdam Hotel at Achimota in Accra have been rounded up by the Tesano police.

The Nigerians, who have been staying at the hotel since they arrived in Ghana for a reintegration programme, were in a standoff with the management of the hotel. It is unclear what sparked the altercation.

According to eyewitnesses, the police fired warning shots to disperse the disgruntled Nigerians, who mounted road blocks in the area. Residents of the area, especially some auto mechanics were involved in near fatal clashes with the ex-combatants.

The Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana is reported to have rushed to the area to calm tempers “as well as negotiate for the release of his countrymen,” the editor of the Publisher newspaper Kofi Agyepong, who is at the scene told Citi News.**

https://www.nairaland.com/977157/70-nigerian-ex-militants-rioted-arrested

How can you be invited into someone's country and mount road blocks because you didn't get your way?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by victorian(f): 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
Cos most nigerians are bad and deceptive.. Trust in nigeria, as a country is lost...If anyone of you, trust your neighbours, then i rest my voice....
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
Compulsory monitoring of all internet transactions should be considered in Nigeria. The fact is the bright lights does something to our crude mentality, we forget that behind those beautiful things we see out there, there are hardworking people who put it together, we want everything without putting in the work and therefore the criminal instinct is very strong in us...all Nigerians are open to being corrupt, its only God that's helping us
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by tobiloba82: 10:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
this matter is so simple. we are bad at home and we are bad outside especially when the world has turned to a global village.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by BabaO2: 11:26pm On Jun 28, 2012
Because Nigeria is the only country you cant fly into at past 1am and get to your destination safely, also it is only in Nigeria that if your flight is 4am, you must be within the premises of the airport at 11pm of the previous day. Most useless and worst country in the whole world.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by chris51(f): 11:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
Because they are too much in a hurry to make money. That's why they are on the wrong side of law
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by str8talk1: 5:57am On Jun 29, 2012
tpia@:
nigerians are the ones doing themselves most times.

they place far too little value on their own selves, and far too much value on others who dont value them.
On pt. u took d wind out of my sail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fidet Okhiria: Train Services In Nigeria Cheap, Heavily Subsidised / Boeing Set To Deliver First 737 Max Since Plane's Grounding / Japa 101: Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.