Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,878 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience (75503 Views)

Nigeria Have Suffered (my Experience On A Visit To India). / Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. / Life In The Usa As A Student. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 5:54pm On Nov 18, 2007
As someone who has been to Malta, the Czech Rep, Russia, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Croatia, Canada, Benin Rep. Nigeria, France, Ireland, England, Italy and Spain, i think it's high time i disclosed some certain matters of concern, to narrate some of my important experiences so as to make Nigerians understand more than enough when it comes to travel matters.
   If i mentioned that i was born in Europe, they would say that i'm lost, if i mentioned that i was born in Africa, they would say that i was/am an illegal immigrant in Europe: if i said that i'm new in Europe, they would say that i'm a JJC or inexperienced, and if i said that i've been in Europe for ages, they would say that i'm frustrated and in need of residence permit documents. So, whatever one says, they have negative answers for them. Therefore, i think it is better to leave those who are fault finders to their own puzzles

*Malta Island, February (year withheld). the weather was chill, i surveyed the beautiful country to see what it can offer: the economy was considerably good for its low population of less than 400.000 people, but it doesn't promise much due to its size and limited resources, it is not an ideal place for inflow of legal immigrants how much more for the illegals, the immigration law is remarkably strict due to the fact that they can not accommodate large number of people.

The Czech Rep. February (year withheld): I was in the city of Prague and the temperature during my stay ranged between -17 and -24 degree celsius, all ground covered in white, all through my short stay until my departure day, it was remarkable that i saw no black African, not even one, the only black guy i saw was an American army on transit with his white colleagues. My assessment about the Czech republic is that it's not a place for "hustlers" but it serves as an ideal place for courses, assignments or duties.

*In the course of time, i was involved with the organisation, D.W.B, and was posted to Athens, Greece. i could do without the Greek language, but because of the educational value of the legend Greek language, i took interest to study it; an achievement i'm now pleased about.
   Greece is a very beautiful country and it's a hot spot for tourism: But you rarely see any eminent Nigerian in Greece; believe me, i don't think there are countries that would produce swams of embarrassing citizens who humiliate themselves in the name of "hustle" to the disgrace of their nations than the Nigerians in Greece, Italy and Spain: many thanks to their locations which make them the arrival places for illegal immigrants.
   It is remarkable that 92% of the Nigerians in Greece did not enter the country with visas, they smuggled into the country from neighbouring countries like Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey and Albania.
   The life styles of the Nigerians in Greece are terrible and ridiculously embarrassing, about 90% of them are either illiterate or half educated. thus making them suitable for the demeaning activities that they would carry out to survive: the "GBURU" hustle.
   In the past, there used to be only the Yorubas and a countable number of other Nigerian students in Greece, but things became funny when the "Onitsha" guys flocked in and began to hawk fake Roloi (wristwatches) and then-after, pirated CDs and por'no DVDs. Their target markets are crowded places like Cafeteria, Pubs, Bars, Beaches, and Restaurants where they often make their customers uncomfortable with their body odours. oftentimes you'd see Nigerian guys running in the streets from fat police officers who seldom succeed in catching them: and sometimes, when surrounded by the police while doing their business inside crowded indoor cafeterias, they would manage to escape by jumping over or smashing tables full with drinks and food that would splash and mess up the clothes of the customers, and by pushing away or knocking down those who aren't quick enough to get off their escape way.
   Because of the Nigerian CDs and po'rno DVDs hawkers, the Greek authority was compelled to create a special police unit by recruiting young, agile and athletic officers known as the Alodapon Astynomia (or foreigners mobile squad), these enthusiastic young officers eventually declared total war on both illegal immigrants (or residents) and unauthorized hawkers, thus leading to the mass frustration of the Nigerians living in Greece.

NOTE: I'm a circular person and i do not mind saying the fact no matter what people that are involved. . .
  I'm not specifying that the embarrassing Nigerians are those from "Onitsha", in fact, it wasn't me who nicknamed them "see Onitsha see Europe".  This is the slogan the Ndi-Igbo use against those who they consider to be less educated or over zealous in "hustle".

*The Baltic, June: I Arrived Latvia for my assignment in the Baltic states namely, Latvia Estonia and Lithuania. I'll use Estonia as the subject point to tell you some facts about these three countries and other eastern European countries.
   Estonia, though it joined the EU in 2004, was not a member of the schengen states (until recently, Dec 21, 2007). A visa for Estonia was in accordance with the Baltic States Treaty (an agreement which made it also valid for Latvia and Lithuania only). The Baltic is the sea that connects to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia: These three states are sister countries that used to be under the Soviet Union: in 2006, the temperature there dropped to -40 degree celsius.
   The economy in Estonia is not encouraging for people who want to make it abroad, even the Estonians are everywhere in richer EU states for better paid jobs.
   Estonia (like Latvia and Lithuania) is only popular for tourism purposes, it's not an ideal destination for someone who's in pursuit of greener pastures.
   Estonia is a place where you rarely see black people, perhaps 5 blacks in a month and this is only in Talin, the capital city.
    While most people are curious to make friends with Blacks, the racists there are of high degree: imagine a place where there are uncountable number of Russian skin-heads who would shoot or stab any "makaka" (Russian word for monkey).
   A remarkable percentage of Estonian citizens (Like in Latvia and Lithuania) are ethnic RUSSIANS. The few African students there are hell afraid for their lives, some have witnessed their fellows being shot, stabbed or beaten up in the streets, even to death, they are too few to revolt and many are financially broke, they need help!
   I have been attacked by these skin-heads two times in just three weeks, but i was lucky enough to escape without injuries, not every one is this lucky, they've shot, stabbed and even beaten many Blacks or Asian-looking people to death.
   Imagine a place where a black man is afraid to walk alone in the dark or in an empty street, this is the situation there.
   Though they joined the EU, but the EU laws that forbid open racism do not exist there: God is my witness that i'm saying the truth: you'd consider yourself fortunate if somebody says to your face "Go home nigger" or calls you "makaka" because, the same person could have shot or stabbed you and ran away. Reporting physical abuse or verbal racist attacks is a very familiar thing to the local police: when foreign tourists or residents report such, the police often take little or no action especially if there is no death nor serious injuries involved.
   I do not advise any Nigerian (desperate to make it abroad) to consider Estonia except if you're going with a group of tourists for tourism: I was there on a assignment, but yet, It was not safe, and worse still, you can not make it there except you have to rob a bank; or can you live with $270 (186 Euros) a month in Europe?
   I feel sorry for those potential victims of "check out", and my humble advise is: if you must check out, do so to any of the countries that promise hope but NEVER Estonia.
   Do not take a risk to travel to a country where you can NEVER, and i mean NEVER find a job how much more to talk about the wages: People there do not understand English, just Russian and the Eesti Languages (except some very few young ones who recently began to show interest in English Language).
   Unlike the good EU countries where black people can "vanish" into black communities, a black man in Estonia and other eastern European countries is an obvious figure, so, it's easy to pick him up as soon as his visa expires: a black man can not hide among white people; therefore, attempting to "vanish" into other EU countries from Estonia is as risky as swimming across a river that is infested with crocodiles.
   Estonia population is just 1,415,681, (far less than 1.5 million). Black people don't live in estonia the few you see there are students who are badly in need of help like those in Russia and some other poor European countries.

**********************************************************************************
   *Taking the Urban train as you leave Berlin Schoenefeld airport and passing through those impressive tall office facilities, then looking at your right as you see the huge Mercedes Benz building, even before getting to the city centre, one can tell that Germany indeed merits the title "Europe biggest economy"; to my observation, there's no country in Europe that is more developed than Germany; a coutry full of massive structures, companies and industrial facilities, where everything looks new and clean, where you hardly see any vehicle that is up to 5 years old. Mind you, it's capability of accommodating and maintaining a population of over 83 million people above poverty level explains that its indeed a great nation, and the most developed one in Europe.

*Canada, with it's size bigger than the USA and a population of less than 32 million is highly underpopulated and in need of immigrants, i visited my brother who lives in Ontario region, his wife is an accountant masters degree holder from Nigeria, but she has recently began to attend a school of nursing because of the lucrative medical industry in Canada. Those who are illegal residents are not having hard times there: The good thing is, Canada does not deport immigrants for reason of documentation, the country needs them to stay, but the Canadian authority is only being careful about who they legalise because, despite the overwhelming opportunities in Canada, many Nigerians are involved in illegal activities relating to frauds and scams

*    It's more or less frequently raining in Ireland: temperate maritime; modified by North Atlantic Current; mild winters, cool summers; consistently humid; overcast about half the time.
  Ireland and the UK have their hands full and tight with immigrants; both documented and undocumented, students and families, asylum seekers and naturalised dwellers.
  Though there are opportunities in these two countries, and while Ireland may be appealing because of its rich and generous social welfare programmes,  if you are a student, you are only like any other African or Asia students once in Ireland because, the education system (for those who are already in the state) is come-one-come-all: so, doing your education here does not guarantee you anything enviable afterall, asylum seekers and undocumented immigrants from Africa and Asia do attend same schools. But if you are permitted to work in Ireland, believe me, they pay more than most big name countries in the world, not even the USA nor the UK can compete with Ireland in minimum wages.
   Irish people are very nice but extremely lazy, they enjoy the extravagant "social welfare" system in the country which makes them unwilling to work: they go to the post offices every week to collect free Social, Unemployment, Disability, Sick, or House Allowance "benefit" which is often about 246 Euro ($354) per week: There are also child benefits for every single child in Ireland irrespective of the parent/s status; too many Nigerian women are single parents in Ireland.
   There use to be immigration programmes schemes organised by the Irish government in poor Asian countries like Bangladesh China and the Philippines, this was designed to import working immigrants to the benefit of the Irish economy which has boosted remarkably in recent years, in fact, it's rated the 2nd best in the word after Luxembourg. This programme came to a halt when it became dawn that the EU would expand by 10 additional countries mainly from East Europe with feeble economies, and their citizens would flock into Ireland sooner or later.
  Currently, there are about six hundred thousand Polish nationals in Ireland alone which means, one in six people you see in Ireland is Polish; thus making things complicated for the government to consider giving residence-permit documents to Asylum seekers: the Irish authority believes that they have more than enough immigrants.
  In the past, there used to be an immigration law that says whoever is born in Ireland (irrespective of the parents immigration status) is automatically an Irish Born Citizen (IBC), and their mothers are given residence status of PIBC (Parents of Irish Born Citizen): such residence status known as the Stamp4 recidence card was easy to obtain until December 2004 after Poland and the other poor countries joined the European Union.
  There is seldom border control between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, this made it easy for undocumented pregnant women in the UK to enter the country and give birth to Irish Citizens. Many people, both single and married African women forced themselves pregnant without husbands or regular boyfriends. . . Things became funny when the single mothers would accept payments of about 5000 Euro from Nigerian men who would claim to be the arriving fathers of the IBCs in order to get the PIBC status.  The Irish authority has been fooled in thousands of such frauds, until they introduced the DNA test into immigration which eventually led to the arrests and fleeing of many men who have already benefited from the IBC frauds.
   Many Nigerian women that got pregnant and came to Ireland to give birth are now facing frustrations in Ireland with their kids because the IBC law was amended before they could give birth. They now live in asylum seekers hostels nationwide with uncertain futures. Some have been deported and many more have been served deportation letters; howbeit, many have been granted leave to remain on humanitarian grounds and good conduct reports

The reason i came up with this article is to explain (due to my campaigns) the things that are going on and the fact of what are to be expected in some countries contrary to what "travel agents" would want you to believe.
 Find Love Partners now at Babefishing Dating Community www.babefishing.com

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by dafman(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2007
Interesting piece of information i must say, It's always good to get first hand information from those who have been there and witnessed the situation first hand, back home everyone thinks anything Europe or America or even 'abroad' generally is heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by otele(m): 9:09pm On Nov 18, 2007
chei, nigeria my dear country. . . . .where did we go wrong? cry cry cry cry what happened to the oil rich nations. its citi2ens are scattered all over the world in penury and humiliation. . . .

vcjustice, thanx anyway, it was informative sad

2 Likes

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Dantecmu(m): 10:01pm On Nov 18, 2007
AJALA THE TRAVELLER. So You have being all around the world ad you find it difficult to believe that some pple have being to southafrica, ireland and UK na waoooo.

Armed lion where are you? come see person wey don travel pass me and u o. But i guess u have gone through this and your gutter is still shut. just keep on deceiving yourself.

@vicjustice
Nice 1, But what the hell where you doing in this countries cause i know u couldn't have gone there on Educational grounds, Medical grounds, cant be on business either soooo on what grounds did you visit this countries undecided , am confused o why why why, You got an Irish passport as claimed so why go to Latvia,Estonia,Luthania, am cracking my brains here o why why why?

Or did you go WIFE HUNTING? sorry o i was just asking o i mean no harm. i guess Ur breakthrough came in one of this countries like you said very few blacks in some of this countries and we all know what an AKATA would do for a black man.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by PapaBrowne(m): 10:42pm On Nov 18, 2007
Nice article, slightly informative with lots of holes in it. Lacks credibility though.

You didn't state the years you visited these countries, I believe it is way back in the nineties.

These are my own opinions about the countries you mentioned.

Czech Republic
Prague in Czech Republic, without doubt is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe second only to Paris.It is a magnet for loads of Americans, British and Irish folks.
The allure of the city is so great that I think I'd prefer to live in Prague than any of the major European cities.

If you would like to study in Europe, I'd reccomend Czech as there are more than enough American Universities you can attend and later on transfer to America with relative ease. And their schools are pretty cheap.
Some foreign Universities in Prague include:
Univesity of Nothern Virginia www.unva.edu
University of New York in Prague www.unyp.cz
DePaul University www.depaul.edu
Anglo American College www.aac.edu

Local Universities are free even for foreigners, but you will have 2 learn in their language.

Once again, Czech is a really beautiful country, really!!

Malta
Malta is Gorgeous and in my opinion, the best Holiday spot in Europe. And funnily they seem to love Nigerians and I don't know why.

It also has a marvellous weather and very beautiful seaside.If you like ancient ruins and antiquated history, you'll love it here. However, it is one heck of an expensive place.

This is one place I've set foot, that I've really fallen in Love with.

Greece
One place I've never liked. In my opinion, not a very interesting place except for maybe the Islands of Kreta and Korfu where you get to meet a trailer load of tourists.

On Nigerian's selling CDs etc in restaurants and the like in Greece and other European nations, its just a reflection of what goes on back home.

People hustle in such ways because of deep lack of knowledge compounded by a need to survive. If only they knew what God given right they had to excel anywhere on the planet, despite the odds, they wouldn't be victims of such scenarios.

Estonia
Estonia is a small but very gorgeous European country located in Northern Europe. Tucked in the Scandinavian belt around Norway, Sweden and Finland,the extreme prosperity of these countries have rubbed off positively on Estonia. Nice nice country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by PapaBrowne(m): 10:57pm On Nov 18, 2007
@Dantecmu
Wonder why it has taken you so long to realize what vicjustice,troubleone & Armed Lion are Good people, just that they singular!

Dantecmu:

Or did you go WIFE HUNTING? sorry o i was just asking o i mean no harm. i guess your breakthrough came in one of this countries like you said very few blacks in some of this countries and we all know what an AKATA would do for a black man.

You used the word Akata in a wrong context. It's the name we Nigerians call African Americans.And thats in The US alone.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 11:18pm On Nov 18, 2007
@Papabrown. No ill feeling, old pal, how you dey? I owe you my respect cool
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Ezinwannem: 11:27pm On Nov 18, 2007
you did not tell us about other countries, Thanks for the info but we want to hear about other countries you mentioned in your piece
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Dantecmu(m): 11:34pm On Nov 18, 2007
PapaBrowne:

@Dantecmu
Wonder why it has taken you so long to realize what vicjustice,troubleone & Armed Lion are Good people, just that they singular!

GOOD PEOPLE I SEE!!!!!!

You used the word Akata in a wrong context. It's the name we Nigerians call African Americans.And thats in The US alone.

Well thats your Opinion based on ur own understanding of the Word AKATA it ain't in the dictionary is it? NO. i know the word is Familiar with them HOMEBOYS in da US. But My own definition Of the Word AKATA are them white Girls. Since its not in our Oxford dictionary it could mean anything depending on the User of da word. that aside at least you got no problem with the fact that he went WIFE HUNTING.

Vicjustice:

@Papabrown. No ill feeling, old pal, how you dey? I owe you my respect cool

No ill feelings abi cause u know n i know that he knows more than u do, i mean he just politely told you that your observations where kinda F**ked up. Now you owe him your respect Shame on YOU.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 1:45am On Nov 19, 2007
I'm not in a competition with anyone, i simply wrote my article according to my own experience and observation.

Ezinwannem:

you did not tell us about other countries, Thanks for the info but we want to hear about other countries you mentioned in your piece
  @Ezinwannem. Taking the Urban train as you leave Berlin Schoenefeld airport and passing through those impressive office facilities, then looking at your right as you see the huge Mercedes Benz building, even before getting to the city centre, one can tell that Germany indeed merit the tittle "Europe biggest economy"; to my observation, there's no country in Europe that's more develop than Germany where everything looks new and clean, where you hardly see a car that is up to 5 years old. Mind you, it's capability of accommodating and maintain a population of over 83 million people above poverty level explains that it's indeed a great nation.
   Canada, with it's size bigger than the USA and a population of less than 32 million is highly underpopulated and in need of immigrants, i visited my brother who lives in Ontario, his wife is an accountant masters degree holder from Nigeria, but she has recently began to attend a school of nursing because of the lucrative medical industry in Canada. Illegal residents are not having hard times there.

PapaBrowne:

Nice article, slightly informative, lots of holes in it and lacks adequate crediblity.
You didn't state the years you visited these countries, I believe it is wayback in the nineties.
  @Papabrowne, i have been quite regular in these country until July this year, so i believe i'm more current. . . AND THE INFORMATION THAT I GIVE ABOUT THESE COUNTRIES ARE VALID. if you doubt me, ask other people.

PapaBrowne:

Czech Republic
Prague in Czech Republic, without doubt is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe second only to Paris.It is a magnet for loads of Americans, British and Irish folks.

The allure of the city is so great that I think I'd prefer to live in Prague than any of the major European cities.

If you would like to study in Europe, I'd reccomend Czech as there are more than enough American Universities you can attend and later on transfer to America with relative ease. And their schools are pretty cheap.
  Friend, i do not argue about the beauties of these countries, they're quite beautiful, but who in Nigeria is interested in the beauty of Europe rather than the hope and promises of future which these countries obviously do not offer immigrants?
   But Papabrowne, don't you see that you're making the same point with me, or didn't you read the full article before making your comments? Here's my quote about my assessment of the Czech republic bellow:
Vicjustice:

*The Czech Rep. February (year withheld): I was in Prague and the temperature during my stay ranged between  -17 to -24 degree celsius, all ground covered in white, all through my short stay until my departure day, it was remarkable that i saw no black African, not even one, the only black guy i saw was an American army on transit with his white colleagues. My assessment about the Czech republic is that it's not a place for "hustlers" but it serves as an ideal place for courses, assignment or duties.
   I'M ONLY TRYING TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE THEY GO TO THESE COUNTRIES IT'S A SELFLESS SERVICE. SO, EXCEPT YOU HAVE PERSONAL GRIEVANCE AGAINST ME, I DON'T SEE ANY REASON WHY YOU OR ANYONE ELSE WOULD ARGUE THIS USEFUL FACTS BASED ON MY TRUE LIFE EXPERIENCE. THIS ARTICLE IS NOT MISLEADING, BUT INFORMATIVE.
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian free dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by PapaBrowne(m): 2:34am On Nov 19, 2007
Vicjustice:

I do not argue about the beauties of these countries, they're quite beautiful, but who in Nigeria is interested in the beauty of Europe rather than the hope and promises of future which these countries obviously do not offer immigrants?

Hope and promises of future Nah, nah, nah!! That can only come from within.
Never wait for any country to provide you with hopes and promises for future.

Thats the reason why many Nigerians are complaining that life is hard in UK and Overseas.
Because majority are looking for jobs.

Those that create opportunities for themselves are not complaining.
And you can create oppotunities anywhere, whether in Czech, Swiss, Estonia, Germany,or wherever.
The bottomline is quality of life. And this is the reason people are leaving Nigeria. Quality of life is low.
These people are not leaving because of hope and promises for future. These people just want a better standard of living.A better place to school. A place where electricity works just fine and there is no fear of Armed robbery.
A place where you can move around the city in reasonable time.Just a good place where things work fine.

And I think the countries you mentioned provide these things pretty good.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by PapaBrowne(m): 3:01am On Nov 19, 2007
Vicjustice:

But Papabrowne, don't you see that you're making the same point with me, or didn't you read the full article before making your comments? Here's my quote about my assessment of the Czech republic bellow: I'M ONLY TRYING TO LET OUR PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE THEY GO TO THESE COUNTRIES IT'S A SELFLESS SERVICE. SO, EXCEPT YOU HAVE PERSONAL GRIEVANCE AGAINST ME, I DON'T SEE ANY REASON WHY YOU OR ANYONE ELSE WOULD ARGUE THIS USEFUL FACTS BASED ON MY TRUE LIFE EXPERIENCE. THIS ARTICLE IS NOT MISLEADING, BUT INFORMATIVE.

Yeah, I'm not writing to condemn your article, I'm just trying to complement it. I haven't particularly disagreed in principle with anything in your article.
I am just shedding my personal opinion on these countries in a positive light to serve Nigerians that would want to go to these places maybe for studies or any other non-hustle reasons.
No personal grieviance! Not at all.
As regards constructive arguments, I think its a healthy way of disseminating qualitative information

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by PapaBrowne(m): 3:36am On Nov 19, 2007
Dantecmu:

Well thats your Opinion based on your own understanding of the Word AKATA it ain't in the dictionary is it? NO. i know the word is Familiar with them HOMEBOYS in da US. But My own definition Of the Word AKATA are them white Girls. Since its not in our Oxford dictionary it could mean anything depending on the User of da word. that aside at least you got no problem with the fact that he went WIFE HUNTING.

Interestingly, you can find Akata in Urban Dictionary.
Visit http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=akata

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Ezinwannem: 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2007
Thank you for mentioning other countries as requested, am in Ontario.is ur brother in Toronto?
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 5:18pm On Nov 19, 2007
Ezinwannem:

Thank you for mentioning other countries as requested, am in Ontario.is your brother in Toronto?
He's in Ontario region, he used to be in Toronto city
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian free dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by ifyalways(f): 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2007
okeke gachara agha lota,ole shoe ya  grin
where you on tour or what?
what did you come back with?

good piece of info for the tourists or huzzlers  lol
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by manoy(m): 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2007
Vicjustice,na so u dey talk
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Blackcat(f): 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2007
'Vicjustice' hit the nail on the head. In otherwords he is talking about Europe of today. I am a permanent resident of Europe and I know that what he wrote down is nothing but the whole truth.

'PapaBrowne' on the other hand is talking about the rich and children of the rich.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by proo212(m): 6:48pm On Nov 19, 2007
@Monsieur

I think you will find that Toronto is actually in Ontario. Just wanted to point that out. No offence intended.

As one who actually lives in Germany (7 years now). I used to live in the UK. I have visited some of these countries you mentioned. There are black people (Nigerians) in Czech Republic (Prague). I know! I met a few of them when I visited once for a weekend three years ago. It is not a hustling country and like you said, you cannot disappear within a big immigrant population. Those guys are suffering. I would assume you will need to be married to a citizen/resident to be able to get any kind of employment (if you find any). Last time I checked a good few of them move westwards for a better future. (Very beautiful city like someone pointed out)

Hungary(Budapest) - I met a few Nigerians who are doing well but a good few also are suffering simply because the economy is not as dynamic as the West is. To study is great, a few Nigerians are studying in a University affiliated to University of Hertfordshire. (Also a very beautiful city)

Greece(Athens) - Those guys are suffering too. I once saw these guys fighting in a square over loose change including girls too. I felt really bad as a fellow black person. Granted I don't know the background of the fight but the situation was just not pleasant. The girls were practically 'throwing' it in your face for a few euros.

The same goes for the former eastern bloc countries including Poland. I would not even advice going to countries like Moldova, Albania, and the likes of them.

Germany on the hand can also be very frustrating if you do not have a good job. With a good job it's fantastic! I will not advice going to some places in the East (former Eastern Germany). Your safety cannot be guaranteed. I know what I am talking about. These people were more or less locked up for years before the wall came down. It's been 10 years but attitudes will take a while before they change. It doesn't help that the economic miracle promised for the east hasn't happened and there is a lot resentment.

The west is definitely better than the east but at the same time you still cannot hustle per se. The country is very structured and there are checks and balances every 5 minutes. Up until 7-8 years ago, a black man on the street can be and most likely be stopped by the police and 'controlled' (Basically they want to see your papers). I get stopped a few times a year. I was even handcuffed last year because i didn't have anything on me. I dress smartly to work but that didn't mean anything to the police.

You can get away with living in the country illegally but it is extremely difficult getting a work permit. I know a lot of people who have gone back to Nigeria because of the frustration. One is going back next month. After 5 years of nothing to show for it, he's had enough. I feel really sorry for him. There are tons of them like that who are in refugee camps waiting for the police to say their time is up. I would not advice my enemy to come here and disappear. Even the immigration laws are tighter. Now you have to go Nigeria to get married to a German woman that 'loves' you or agrees to marry you for papers. You visa to come back might not be granted. I know, it's happened to people i know.

They were stuck in Nigeria for months before they could come back. When that happens, you have to be married for 5 years before you get a residence permit (formerly 3 years). If the lady decides not to want you anymore after 4 years and 364 days, you get nothing. Besides every year you have to renew for 5 years. Imagine marrying a woman or man that you will never in your wildest dream marry and 'act' for 5 years playing husband and wife

If you come as a professional, Germany has a perhaps the highest quality of life in Europe. The Scandinavian countries are very nice too and I have travelled widely mostly in Europe and North America

Out of all of these, all the hustling that goes on in Greece, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia cannot happen in Germany so the guys really keep a low profile or else you will be deported straightaway.

Sad but reality.

5 Likes

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Ezinwannem: 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2007
good to point out as ma dear friend did, Toronto is in ONTARIO region, itz actually da capital of Ontario, so where does ur bro. live? Ottawa, Niagara falls, Hamilton, etccc
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by wakagirl: 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2007
Na wa o! see me see trouble o, i think say na me be waka person because i don waka reach like 6 countries inc Ghana, England (like those old papas and mamas dey call am), Dublin, Poland and New york i no no say i never waka at all. Ok i go try small more sha.

I respect una you really be waka!
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by MAURI: 9:32pm On Nov 19, 2007
Vicjustice,
Thanks for sharing this personal informative experience.
What worsens the whole situation is that, Nigerians who are on the ground in these countries and experiencing the agonies refuses to tell the truth to the ones back home.
People wey get ears, make them hear. Blessed are those who are told and will listen.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by romeo(m): 10:23pm On Nov 19, 2007
I am in Spain and i have gone round the whole of Europe too, but your statement about our nationals in Spain, Italy and Greece is stupid and ignorant and the fact that you said that the few good Nigerians in Greece are Yorubas and some few other Nigerian students and that the lousy ones are "onitsha boys" makes your story ridiculously lacking credibility (sounds like ethnic mud slinging to me)

And you did not mention anything about where you are staying!!! how our people there are faring, and if you are in Dublin you should know that the Nigerians in Greece are saints compared to the people in Ireland

my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by doncaster(m): 11:49pm On Nov 19, 2007
proo212:

Germany on the hand can also be very frustrating if you do not have a good job. With a good job it's fantastic! I will not advice going to some places in the East (former Eastern Germany). Your safety cannot be guaranteed. I know what I am talking about. These people were more or less locked up for years before the wall came down. It's been 10 years but attitudes will take a while before they change. It doesn't help that the economic miracle promised for the east hasn't happened and there is a lot resentment.
The west is definitely better than the east but at the same time you still cannot hustle per se. The country is very structured and there are checks and balances every 5 minutes. Up until 7-8 years ago, a black man on the street can be and most likely be stopped by the police and 'controlled' (Basically they want to see your papers). I get stopped a few times a year. I was even handcuffed last year because i didn't have anything on me. I dress smartly to work but that didn't mean anything to the police.
You can get away with living in the country illegally but it is extremely difficult getting a work permit. I know a lot of people who have gone back to Nigeria because of the frustration. One is going back next month. After 5 years of nothing to show for it, he's had enough. I feel really sorry for him. There are tons of them like that who are in refugee camps waiting for the police to say their time is up. I would not advice my enemy to come here and disappear. Even the immigration laws are tighter. Now you have to go Nigeria to get married to a German woman that 'loves' you or agrees to marry you for papers. You visa to come back might not be granted. I know, it's happened to people i know.

They were stuck in Nigeria for months before they could come back. When that happens, you have to be married for 5 years before you get a residence permit (formerly 3 years). If the lady decides not to want you anymore after 4 years and 364 days, you get nothing. Besides every year you have to renew for 5 years. Imagine marrying a woman or man that you will never in your wildest dream marry and 'act' for 5 years playing husband and wife
I somehow disagree with some of the things you wrote about Germany. German Assylum system is far more better than UK. I dont think their is any illegal immigrant in Germany cos you must take asylum and once you did that, go to their asylum camp between 1-3 months they will give you a place to leave, pay you monthly, give you foodstuff every wenesday. Coming to getting papers its again easier than UK cos once you get a child in Germany your problem of immigration is almost solved cos they will give you resident permit to look for work and take care of your child. After 5 years you become a permenant resident looking forward for a german passport. Now in Germany if you have worked for 7 good years as an asylum seeker they give you pasport straight away. Good economy, Good environment, Good House, Better transportation system and on time as well. Recist but then you know they are not in UK everybody is recist but pretend to be your friend.

3 Likes

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 12:11am On Nov 20, 2007
romeo:

I am in Spain and i have gone round the whole of Europe too, but your statement about our nationals in Spain, Italy and Greece is stupid and ignorant and the fact that you said that the few good Nigerians in Greece are Yorubas and some few other Nigerian students and that the lousy ones are "onitsha boys" makes your story ridiculously lacking credibility (sounds like ethnic mud slinging to me)

And you did not mention anything about where you are staying!!! how our people there are faring, and if you are in Dublin you should know that the Nigerians in Greece are saints compared to the people in Ireland

my 2 cents
  What is stupid and Ignorant in my article, what false statement have i made about the Nigerians in Greece, Italy and Spain? Point it out, or are you one of these guys. . .? If so, then my appology. . .
  And do you understand my writing? I said: "In the past, there use to be only Yorubas and a hand-full of other Nigerians students in Greece, but things became funny when the "Onitsha" guys flocked in and began to sell fake Roloi (wristwatches) and then-after, pirated CDs and Indecency DVDs. . ."

nwando:

The guy is an idiot.
A typica Igbo bashing idiot.
You can guess where he's from
 *Funny you, are you suggesting that i'm a Yoruba man? If so, i'll leave that to your own puzzle: for your infomation, I'm a circular person and i do not mind saying the truth no matter what people that are involved. . .
  I did not specify that the embarrassing Nigerians are those from Onitsha, in fact, it wasn't me who nicknamed them "see Onitsha see Europe".  This is the slogan the Ndi-Igbo use against those who they consider to be less educated or over zealous in "hustle".

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Nwaka77: 4:39am On Nov 20, 2007
@Vicjustice

Very informative piece. I am quite familiar with some parts of Europe especially Germany, England, Yugoslavia, and Austria. I have been to these countries. There are parts of Europe where I will not visit. I don't care how beautiful it may look. If the residents there are too rascist and closed minded, count me out. Life is too short to be around people who act weird. Thanks for the info regarding various countries.
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by princeonx: 4:52am On Nov 20, 2007
Poster! poster!! to be honest, I think you're realy confused yourself! if I may ask, did you visit all these countries with visa? you seem to act like the good guy here while others there don't know what they're doing. You said some or even most of them are suffering! I wonder what was chasing you around those nonsence places you called country in Europe! they could be anywhere in Africa! but just simply fall under Europe on the map! you know what? you never see something your waka just dey start but no be your fault na those wey just wan fly regardless of where the plane land! and guess what? all that your info might be important or usefull to those that don't know where they're coming from not to talk of where they're going! You go all these places finish you still no know say Toronto dey Ontario! you sure say no be naija or some african desert you dey waka about call am europe?

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by ndubest(m): 8:30am On Nov 20, 2007
Big Shout out cheesy cheesy cheesy to all the GUILLIVER TRAVELLERS in the house

may be its high time you guys put your heads together and come out with the first travellers book or guide to be posted on the nairaland for pontential travellers.

its really good to read all the sides of the story, the good, the not so good,, the bad, the not so bad and the UGLY

well its left for one to decipher the truth and take your pick

but i still want to repeat the question already asked

@vicjustice, wetin carry you go all these countries sef in a short period of time, abi u go hustle yourself come see say ground no level angry smiley smiley smiley

ANY WAY THANKS FOR THE PIECE

ITS AN EYE OPENER

"Hustlers" beware

1 Like

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by conda00410(m): 9:11am On Nov 20, 2007
prince_onx:

Poster! poster!! to be honest, I think you're realy confused yourself! if I may ask, did you visit all these countries with visa? you seem to act like the good guy here while others there don't know what they're doing. You said some or even most of them are suffering! I wonder what was chasing you around those nonsence places you called country in Europe! they could be anywhere in Africa! but just simply fall under Europe on the map! you know what? you never see something your waka just dey start but no be your fault na those wey just wan fly regardless of where the plane land! and guess what? all that your info might be important or usefull to those that don't know where they're coming from not to talk of where they're going! You go all these places finish you still no know say Toronto dey Ontario! you sure say no be naija or some african desert you dey waka about call am europe?

it is not compulsory you display your INGORATUS MUMU.
seems you beefing the poster,

@Vicjustice
nice piece of information
but don't be suprise other people could have views different from yours.
Nice trend,
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by Vicjustice: 9:18am On Nov 20, 2007
prince_onx:

The article i wrote is from my own experiences, i could have written more, but i didn't want to bore you, so i had to edit it to this size. The subject does not in any way refer to any one personally, neither does it condemn any Nigerian ethnic group, it is not a critic but an information, so, i don't see why any normal person would take it personal and insult me for narrating my observations.
    I'm not that uninformed so as not to know about Ontario, perhaps you don't understand my English, i said: "He's in Ontario region, he used to be in Toronto city"" Or is every body in Lagos state living in Ikeja?
  Whatever took me to these countries is none of your business, i have the capability of conscious choice and decision and intention to go wherever i please. I'd answer that question if you asked in a decent manner.

5 Likes

Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by coolotunba(m): 10:49am On Nov 20, 2007
@Vicjustice,
Thanks so much for your exposition. These pieces of information goes a long way in helping those of us in naija evaluate issues and make decisions better. It seems you are now based in Dublin. And you did not make any statement about Ireland. Can you give us an insight into life in Ireland. Studying, prospects after study, economy and the lot.

One love Nairalanders
Re: Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience by romeo(m): 10:57am On Nov 20, 2007
Vicjustice:

What is stupid and Ignorant in my article, what false statement have i made about the Nigerians in Greece, Italy and Spain? Point it out, or are you one of these guys
. . .? If so, then my appology. . .
And do you understand my writing? I said: "In the past, there use to be only Yorubas and a hand-full of other Nigerians students in Greece, but things became funny when the "Onitsha" guys flocked in and began to sell fake Roloi (wristwatches) and then-after, pirated CDs and Indecency DVDs. . ."
*Funny you, are you suggesting that i'm a Yoruba man? If so, i'll leave that to your own puzzle: for your infomation, I'm a circular person and i do not mind saying the truth no matter what people that are involved. . .
I did not specify that the embarrassing Nigerians are those from Onitsha, in fact, it wasn't me who nicknamed them "see Onitsha see Europe". This is the slogan the Ndi-Igbo use against those who they consider to be less educated or over zealous in "hustle".

The issue is that you did not mention a single thing Nigerians in Spain and Italy are doing to warrant this name smearing, and for that your post about them is ignorant and stupid

You have said it all there qouting yourself about the Yorubas and Onitsha boys in Greece, whether it was in the past or present, according to you the good ones (the Yorubas) were replaced by the bad ones ( Onitsha boys)

And you did not comment on the Ireland thing in my post and i guessed you are in Dublin, so i am sorry if you are one of them too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet Gadzama: The Pilot Who Flew The Crashed King Air 350 Aircraft In Abuja / "There Are No Jobs In Dubai, Nigerians Don't Be Deceived" (Photos/video) / Photos Of The Man That Died With Two Ladies In Sapele Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.