Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. (19237 Views)

Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat / GEJ Media Chat On AIT, NTA: Live Updates / GEJ Media Chat Vs Euro 2012: Which Will You Watch? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by mbulela: 2:37pm On Jun 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Asset Declaration gives the people the power to contest or question abnormalities that may surface during the term. If a politician declares he is worth 300 million, for instance, and the CCB 'investigates' and 'confirms' it, the people can on taking that info, do their own investigation to further validate/invalidate claims made. Also it is a start in holding those in power accountable.
I am not saying that he should not declare his assets, i am just pointing out that there are more important issues and whether he declares or not, the bazaar continues.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by vanstanzy(m): 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
bayooooooo: By SaharaReporters, New York
In a live media chat today, President Goodluck Jonathan stated that the Federal Government is not into any dialogue with the militant Islamist group Jama’atu Ahlissunnah Lidda’awati Wal-Jihad, otherwise known as Boko Haram. Mr. Jonathan declared the sect faceless, stating that his government cannot dialogue with them.

Mr. Jonathan’s comment on Boko Haram was one of several issues he touched on during a presidential media chat that ran live on NTA in Nigeria.

President Jonathan insisted that Boko Haram and their sponsors would not stop Nigerians from working, adding that all agencies of the government including the president, vice president, ministers must keep faith in Nigeria till the end.

He added that Boko Haram was attacking churches in order to instigate religious crises. Mr. Jonathan said, “We are working and will crush it. They are changing tactics. They can as well be attacking mosques to instigate Muslims against Christians.”

Asked to justify his recent trip to Brazil, President Jonathan declared that he had no regrets, noting, “Boko Haram’s main agenda is to destabilize government like all other terrorists.” The Nigerian president stressed that suspending his trip would have given terrorists a boost.

Mr. Jonathan also explained why he had not visited Maiduguri and Damaturu, two hot beds of sectarian violence. He said the airport was ill-maintained for his plane to land, adding that he could not travel by helicopter for security reasons.

Asked why he had not declared his assets, Mr. Jonathan replied in an impatient tone, stating “I don’t give a damn” about declaration of assets. He related that he had gone to the late President Umaru Yar’Adua to caution “that we should not play to the hands of some people [by openly declaring their assets].” Mr. Jonathan added, “That is a matter of principle and I am not going to declare. It is not the president declaring his asset that will end Boko Haram.”

Other highlights of the president’s media chat are in the Premium Times report below:

President Goodluck Jonathan will this evening host a televised media chat with some Nigerian journalists to respond to questions on some topical national issues. We bring you LIVE updates from the chat.

President Goodluck Jonathan is hosting his third Presidential Media Chat since returning to office in May 2011. The first was in September 2011 and the last in January 2012, in the heat of the removal of subsidy on petroleum products.

The challenges confronting the country - insecurity, economy, corruption, fuel subsidy, dearth of infrastructural, among others - are still largely the same since his last media chat.

Refresh the page manually to get latest posts, chronologically.

The phone lines to call in on the presidential media chat is 09-625-1100 or 09-625-1000. If you are calling from outside the country, use the contry code (+234).

19:06 Gvernment ready to discuss with Boko Haram: President Joinathan says he is willing to dialogue with the Boko Haram sect, if they have a "face." He said the sect's members are Nigerians and he will like to transform their lives just like the Niger Delta millitants.

19:12 For now, there is no negotiation ongoing with Boko Haram, the president said.

19:16 President Jonathan said he has not visited Borno state, the center of Boko Haram attacks, because the airport there was not functional at the time he planned to visit. "And we did not want to land somewhere and fly in to Maiduguri with a helicopter for obvious reasons." He promises to visit the state and other states in Nigeria.

19:19 The Brazil Trip: The president said if he hadn't travelled to Brazil while Kaduna was boiling, it would have sent out a very wromg message to the world, and bolster the sect. "The day the international community gets to know that the president of Nigeria couldn't travel because of Boko Haram, then we are finished," the president said. "The Boko Haram and their sponsors cannot stop Nigeria."

19:24 The Body Language on Corruption: The president said he is a calm person and gives people the latitude to do their job in reaction to question bothering on his percieved weak body language on the fight against corruption. "A lot of people misunderstand me," he said.

Whoever says the president's body language does not allow him to fight corruption, he's incompetent

Asset Declaration: The presient says its a matter of principle and whether he is criticised from "head to toe" he will not declare his assets. "It is not right," he said. "I didn't want even want to declare my assets as VP" but was forced by the then president, Umara Musa Yar'Adua. He said asset declaration is "not the right thing to do."

19:35 Oil Subsidy Probe: The president said he initiated the probe of the oil industry even before the Senate and the House of Reps began its probe of the sector.

The president just mentioned that "only yesterday," he directed the EFCC to investigate Nigeria's bank accounts in the United States, following a report on a newspaper.

The presidency said he dealing with the same businessmen former president Olusegun Obasanjo and Late Umaru Musa Yar'Adua hobnobbed with. He speaks in defence of the businessmen, including Femi Otedola who is involved a bribery scandal with chairman of House of Reps Panel that probed the subsidy regime. He however said he did not initiate the sting operation that caught Mr. Lawan.

19:55 Electricity: "When we were campaiging, we didn't know that BH will overtake the priorities of government," the president says.

He adds that what the government is doing with the increased electricity tariff is too ensure that those who earn low income pay lower tariff. "What we are doing with electricity tariff is too ensure that those who earn low income pay lower tariff," the president said.

20:07 Agriculture: The president said his government are revolutionizing agriculture in Nigeria."We are giving cotton seeds free in the North" he said.

Third caller unable to get through to the program.

Nigeria is owing over N100 billion in judgement debts, the president reveals.

20:14 The fourth caller's line fails after he introduced himself as calling from Ibadan.

The President said the government is doing very well in railway construction. "You may not know, but we are working," he said. He added that his government has made a "significant progress" in railway construction. "You should commend us," he adds.

20:19 Ogene Tega's call from Delta state gets through, he introduces himself and the line goes dead again.

20:20 The prsident says they are managing the economy professionally, "It is not Jonathan that is managing it," he said

20:22 The president begs to us first to use two years plus to see what he can do in terms of wealth creation, before talking about 2015. "It is too early to talk about 2015," the president said. "When INEC opens the gate, we will know who will contest or who will not contest."

20:27 Relationship with National Assembly: "I have a good relationship with the National assembly," the president said. "It is not as if there are no issues." He plans to do annual address to the National Assembly and says his being summoned to the National Assembly is not an issue.

"Whenever I travel, I go with atleast two members of the National Assembly," the president reveals.

20:35 The president says he "thinks" Nigerians should still trust him. He blames his poor public perception on the dublicability of IT (social media).

He said Nigerians will begin to see the results of his government in 2013. "People (critics) will begin to change after one year," the president said.

20:42 UNILAG name change: The president said what he did, in terms of law, was correct. You change the name first, then send the bill to the National Assembly later, he argues. "What we did, was the normal procedure," he said.

He also insists that most of the students are too young to know the significance of Moshood Abiola in Nigeria's democracy.

20:46 Call from Victor in Markurdi gets through as the first successful call in for the day. Victor is asking for equitable distribution of You Win grants. He is asking the president to ensure that the grant is not given to only those who know people in government.

20:52 Crude Oil Tefth: "The stealing of crude oil is a Nigerian phenomenon," the president said. He adds that it has gone cancerous. "We will stop it, but it is like allowing a cancerous cell to grow into a major tumor."

20:55 The program ends. Thank you for following our updates.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/5734-LIVE-UPDATES-President-Jonathans-third-media-chat.html

Like a commentator said,
The above is a very clear indication of the backwardness of Nigerian leaders. Unfortunately there was hardly anything inspiring or encouraging in the whole "chat". It either demonstrates either a complete lack of understanding of the Nigerian issues or an under estimation of the gravity and seriousness of those issues. I was completely disappointed with the vagueness and shallowness of the responses to the questions that equally lacked depth. I thought our CIC was supposed to be a Phd holder? Was expecting more intellectual and academic depth, no wonder outsiders beyond the shores of Nigeria often marvel at the celebration of indolence and shoddiness in our country? Sad that the only caller who got through was only able to do so after about an hour? Can you compare this comedy from the Giant of Africa - our leaders should spend more time watching the press engagement between POTUS and the American press! Most certain their IQs are not a million times more.

"THIS GEJ IS A TYRANT IN THE MAKING JUST WATCH AND SEE". GEJ has no ideas at all, as much as i hate saying this, this country is finished with this sort, at the helm of affairs. "GOD PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON US!"
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by uzomagic(m): 4:25pm On Jun 25, 2012
OAM4J: I can not point to anything inspiring in the whole chat.

Good I didn't waste my time watching.
Nothing will inspire you because you lack the capacity to be inspired
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by uzomagic(m): 5:35pm On Jun 25, 2012
engineerd:

I think u are possessed !!! LOL...ok...i apologize for all my prior insults, but i think you should learn to show some diplomacy sometimes when putting your point across!! Strictly speaking, u were right....and all of a sudden GEJ's foot soldiers are no where to be found!
He used the words publicly declare assets. The constitution demands that he declare his assets to the code of conduct bureau and he did that. However he did not declare it to the public. Now if the members of the public want to know, they can demand it from the Code of Conduct Bureau in line with the provisions of the Freedom of information Act which was also signed into law promptly by this administration after its passage by the National Assembly. Jonathan did not have to declare his assets to the media as this would amount to playing to the gallery
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Pukkah: 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2012
uzomagic: Nothing will inspire you because you lack the capacity to be inspired

What part of the chat inspired you? This is what you should point out to him rather than resort to snide remarks.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Elueme: 5:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
akthedream: You are missing it man.He out to have done it as soon as he was voted into power if really he had a sincere mind towards our country Nigeria.Just like oustanding salaries,no matter how long it will take,he should no be above the law.
same they would have said if the president had not gone to Brazil' lily livered GEJ was stopped from representing the country in a very important summit by common Boko Haram'.. The man had demonstrated guts nd meanness, so commend him.. Naija una mouth too much
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Elueme: 5:51pm On Jun 25, 2012
vanstanzy:

Like a commentator said,
The above is a very clear indication of the backwardness of Nigerian leaders. Unfortunately there was hardly anything inspiring or encouraging in the whole "chat". It either demonstrates either a complete lack of understanding of the Nigerian issues or an under estimation of the gravity and seriousness of those issues. I was completely disappointed with the vagueness and shallowness of the responses to the questions that equally lacked depth. I thought our CIC was supposed to be a Phd holder? Was expecting more intellectual and academic depth, no wonder outsiders beyond the shores of Nigeria often marvel at the celebration of indolence and shoddiness in our country? Sad that the only caller who got through was only able to do so after about an hour? Can you compare this comedy from the Giant of Africa - our leaders should spend more time watching the press engagement between POTUS and the American press! Most certain their IQs are not a million times more. If your problem is English u better look for an alternate source to solving your deficiency.. Our president has got a more important issues to deal with other than entertaining disdained elements like u with vocabularies.. I can see u lack insight

"THIS GEJ IS A TYRANT IN THE MAKING JUST WATCH AND SEE". GEJ has no ideas at all, as much as i hate saying this, this country is finished with this sort, at the helm of affairs. "GOD PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON US!"
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Jun 25, 2012
mbulela:
I am not saying that he should not declare his assets, i am just pointing out that there are more important issues and whether he declares or not, the bazaar continues.

I disagree with you. This is a very important issue in the fight against corruption. In fact, this fight will get nowhere if we are not able to correctly TRACK THE NUMBERS and we all know where those digits and dollars end up at the end of it all. In the accounts of those we consider high ranking officials.

How in the world can you suggest that tracking the assets of those in power is not important? Are you having an off day or what? How do you think you catch the stealing senators, or governors or even presidents if you don't at least have a starting point?

1 Like

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Elueme: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2012
Guys, sincerely if wat makes the president's speech shallow and not inspiring is English I guess u look for an alternate source to solving your deficiencies because the cic of the federal republic of Nigeria has got more important issues than entertaining disdained elements like you with melodrama of vocabulary.. Wait why didn't your parents sent you to good schools @ least a grammar school.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by ubandire(m): 6:02pm On Jun 25, 2012
dedeike: Best presidential media chat ever in recent times. mr president clearly won our hearts with his answers on so many of the issues raised. Thank you Bayoooo for posting this summary so that people like KOBOJUNKIE will be well informed

That's if people like junkie put blind sentiment and bias aside.Mr President did very well I've never been let in to the agenda of govt this much all burning issues where handled and explained very well by GEJ,I a bright peaceful future with this man,let's rally round him to achieve his mission,Nigeria is our's.

Kudos GEJ keep it up!
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Jun 25, 2012
Sealeddeal: Is the declaration of assets the only thing dat GEJ talked about yesterday? Why is every1 interested in it and what is the need for Public declaration of asset when constitution didnt stipulate that.what law mentioned was that a public officer should declare his assets to CCB from whom any interested body can obtain it.so public declaration of assest is not lawful.but,even if GEJ flouts the law,i dont think nigerians should be surprised because there is not a single nigeria that obey the law. On other issues presented by GEJ,he is right on point.i commend his govt for its strategy and carefulness.i am not equally saying dat people should not criticised the govt because not everybody will like everything.

Olodo!!! Go educate yourself and stop rambling. There is no such thing as Public or Private declaration of asset. Asset declaration is ALWAYS been to CCB, and CCB is mandated by law (Schedule 3, section 3 of the Constitution) to release all data it receives to any Nigerian who wants it. . . it has never been private and should not be confused with some OPTIONAL protocol out there.

Now, again, go read up on what your law says rather than sitting swallowing up all the gobble-de-gook your politicians say as if they speak truth when they OPENLY BREAK THE LAW , and tell you they don't give a darn. http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Only fools will continue to choose to wallow in ignorance even after wisdom has been given them freely.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by uzomagic(m): 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2012
akthedream: You forgot so points..
1,Asset declaration.
2,Only about 2 people were able to call in.
3.PDP patrons that are being shielded fro EFCC and co
4.Was Azazi's sack due to incompitence?
On asset declaration, statutorily, assets are declared to the CCB but declaring it to the public is discretionary. 2.Given the large coverage and viewership that the media chat received, you'd be foolish not to expect jammed lines. 3. I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "PDP patrons". 4. Azazi was sacked because there was need for a change in security strategy and personnel. And you'd agree that change is good
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by eedriyz(m): 6:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
Calls can't get in? We watches "who wants to be a millioniare" now. That's the most disgusting part. And how can a president use such an abusive word? Damn! Foolish man. Thank God I chosse to watch Euros instead
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Mandelaguy(m): 6:53pm On Jun 25, 2012
Sesan2: Here is what the President said regarding the Brazil trip:

Trip to Brazil

Justifying the trip, he said, “I have no regrets going to Brazil. The issue of security in this country, especially relating to the Boko Haram crisis is pathetic, I have lost people and I have lost property. I sympathise with people who have lost property and relations. I feel the pain.
“As President of this country, even if one person dies, I feel sad. But one thing is that if you know the tactics of terrorists, Nigerians who were worried that I travelled got worried out of ignorance.
“One of the tactics of terrorists is to strangle government. If they heard that the President and the Vice-President wanted to travel but couldn’t do so because they struck, they would celebrate it.”
According to him, Presidents of other countries had always encouraged him to ensure that the government of Nigeria does not stop because of terrorism.

He was incoherent (rambling) in his speech most of the time but we can understand what he was trying to say. Even he said the issue of security in the country is pathetic (I wonder who is to blame). He then went on to say those who felt he should not have gone to Brazil felt so out of ignorance (how can a President speak about a large number of Nigerians in that manner?). What he has failed to grasp is that Nigerians are not saying he should not travel, but they want to make sure he has addressed dire security situations before leaving the country - and a significant number of people do not think he has been able to get to grip with the pathetic security situation in the country. How can anyone think the government of Nigeria has stopped just because the President of Nigeria did not travel to Brazil a few days after over 30 of his citizens have been massacred by terrorists - and not for the first time? Maybe he will care to name any of the 'other Presidents' who travelled out of their own coutries soon after a large number of their people were killed by terrorists.

If he thinks Boko Haram needs him not to travel out of the country before they know they have the upper hand he has another thing coming. What they will be happy about is that instead of him sitting down with his security people and seriously planning their (Boko Haram's) demise, he is more interested in going to Brazil and earning 'estacode'. Boko Haram already have enough to celebrate.

He would probably have earned the respect of Nigerians if he went to see at least some of the victims of the blast, held a meeting with his security people and made a statement on what he is doing about those latest terrorist acts (to let Nigerians know how the security team are tackiling the issue in his absence) before jetting off to Brazil. There is nothing he achieved in Brazil that would not have been achieved if he took a trip to Brazil (if he must) some other time or if he sent other people to represent him (I know he would have missed the Climate Conference but that is really not a big deal in the circumstances).

Here is a poor, incompetent President - not capable of making the right decisions - trying to lecture the rest of us. Absolutely pathetic.

Run a research on JTF, what they have been doing, the fight against terror, GEJ's campaign etc, or do you want him to come on air and reveal security strategies and next line of action? Maybe you want the BH to find out what measures are been put in place to sacrifice our innocent gallant officers. Sorry to disappoint you and your lot.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Jun 25, 2012
uzomagic: On asset declaration, statutorily, assets are declared to the CCB but declaring it to the public is discretionary. 2.Given the large coverage and viewership that the media chat received, you'd be foolish not to expect jammed lines. 3. I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "PDP patrons". 4. Azazi was sacked because there was need for a change in security strategy and personnel. And you'd agree that change is good

Rubbish . . . stop rambling like a to wo bo!!!

Assets are declared to CCB. Jonathan Goodluck HAS NOT declared his asset to the CCB. The media can easily get at the information if it were at the CCB since CCB, under Schedule 3, Section 3 of the Constitution, is required by law to make the information available to any and every Nigerian.

Stop reproducing the gobble-de-gook fed you by others. Your President told you yesterday why he has not declared his assets(declaring assets according to the Constitution means declaring the information at the CCB). If the man himself tells you that he has not declared his asset, don't you think you will have to be an imbe_cile of the highest order to expect that he has?

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#CodeOfConductBureau
1.[size=13pt] The Code of Conduct Bureau[/size] shall comprise the following members:
(a) a Chairman; and

(b) nine other members, each of whom, at the time of appointment, shall not be less than fifty years of age and subject to the provisions of section 157 of this Constitution shall vacate his office on attaining the age of seventy years.

2. The Bureau shall establish such offices in each state of the Federation as it may require for the discharge of its functions under this Constitution.

[size=13pt]3. The Bureau shall have power to:

(a) receive declarations by public officers made under paragraph 12 of Part I of the Fifth Schedule to this Constitution;

(b) examine the declarations in accordance with the requirements of the Code of Conduct or any law;

(c) retain custody of such declarations and make them available for inspection by any citizen of Nigeria on such terms and conditions as the National Assembly may prescribe;
[/size]

(d) ensure compliance with and, where appropriate, enforce the provisions of the Code of Conduct of any law relating thereto;

(e) receive complaints about non-compliance with or breach of the provisions of the Code of Conduct or any law in relation thereto, investigate the complaint and, where appropriate, refer such matters to the Code of Conduct Tribunal;

(f) appoint, promote, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over the staff of the Codes of Conduct Bureau in accordance with the provisions of an Act of the National Assembly enacted in that behalf; and

(g) carry out such other functions as may be conferred upon it by the National Assembly.

The terms and conditions of service of the staff of the Code of Conduct Bureau shall be the same as those provided for public officers in the civil service of the Federation.

This is what the law says in Schedule 3,Section 3.

The information from the declarations will be made PUBLIC! That is what Jonathan is afraid of and hence why he refuses to declare his asset more than a year into the term.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Mandelaguy(m): 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Assets are declared to CCB. Jonathan Goodluck HAS NOT declared his asset to the CCB. The media can easily get at the information if it were at the CCB since CCB, under Schedule 3, Section 3 of the Constitution, is required by law to make the information available to any and every Nigerian.

Stop reproducing the gobble-de-gook fed you by others.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#CodeOfConductBureau

The information from the declarations will be made PUBLIC! That is what Jonathan is afraid of and hence why he refuses to declare his asset more than a year into the term.
junkie,go to CCB and ask for a copy of his declaration tomorrow morning, am sure it will be given to you. This is how you go about spreading lies on unfounded facts. I asked you on the othe thread and I will ask you again, have you gone to CCB for a copy of GEJ's asset declaration and was denied?
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2012
uzomagic: On asset declaration, statutorily, assets are declared to the CCB but declaring it to the public is discretionary. 2.Given the large coverage and viewership that the media chat received, you'd be foolish not to expect jammed lines. 3. I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "PDP patrons". 4. Azazi was sacked because there was need for a change in security strategy and personnel. And you'd agree that change is good

Stop reproducing the gobble-de-gook fed you by others. Your President told you yesterday why he has not declared his assets(declaring assets according to the Constitution means declaring the information at the CCB). If the man himself tells you that he has not declared his asset, don't you think you will have to be an imbe_cile of the highest order to expect that he has?

1.[size=13pt] The Code of Conduct Bureau[/size] shall comprise the following members:
(a) a Chairman; and

(b) nine other members, each of whom, at the time of appointment, shall not be less than fifty years of age and subject to the provisions of section 157 of this Constitution shall vacate his office on attaining the age of seventy years.

2. The Bureau shall establish such offices in each state of the Federation as it may require for the discharge of its functions under this Constitution.

(a) receive declarations by public officers made under paragraph 12 of Part I of the Fifth Schedule to this Constitution;

(b) examine the declarations in accordance with the requirements of the Code of Conduct or any law;

(c) retain custody of such declarations and make them available for inspection by any citizen of Nigeria on such terms and conditions as the National Assembly may prescribe;
[/size]

(d) ensure compliance with and, where appropriate, enforce the provisions of the Code of Conduct of any law relating thereto;

(e) receive complaints about non-compliance with or breach of the provisions of the Code of Conduct or any law in relation thereto, investigate the complaint and, where appropriate, refer such matters to the Code of Conduct Tribunal;

(f) appoint, promote, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over the staff of the Codes of Conduct Bureau in accordance with the provisions of an Act of the National Assembly enacted in that behalf; and

(g) carry out such other functions as may be conferred upon it by the National Assembly.

The terms and conditions of service of the staff of the Code of Conduct Bureau shall be the same as those provided for public officers in the civil service of the Federation.

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by rhymz(m): 7:35pm On Jun 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Olodo!!! Go educate yourself and stop rambling. There is no such thing as Public or Private declaration of asset. Asset declaration is ALWAYS been to CCB, and CCB is mandated by law (Schedule 3, section 3 of the Constitution) to release all data it receives to any Nigerian who wants it. . . it has never been private and should not be confused with some OPTIONAL protocol out there.

Now, again, go read up on what your law says rather than sitting swallowing up all the gobble-de-gook your politicians say as if they speak truth when they OPENLY BREAK THE LAW , and tell you they don't give a darn. http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Only fools will continue to choose to wallow in ignorance even after wisdom has been given them freely.
what exactly is your problem sef, this Junkie Lady, you just like to dey argue for the fun of it.
Has President Goodluck Jonathan and Vice President Namadi Sambo complied with the constitutional provision which required them to declare their assets on assumption of office?
The answer is a bold yes.
It was reported in may 27, 2010 that they had submitted their asset declaration to CCB. Now, if CCB refuses to make it available to the public, it is an entirely different argument whose blame should rest more on the leadership of CCB than with Mr President, shikina.
If Mr President decides to make it a public show like his predecessor, Yaradua did, it is a "jara" that is based on his discretion and not a requirement of the constitution from him. There is no place in the 11th code of the bureau’s handbook for Public Officers, that says that the president must go public in declaring his assets.
Stop distracting Nigerians from the main issues with blind argument that seems to suggest that the man did not the what is required of him in the first place.
After all, Besides Yaradua that did it point to any other Nigerian President that did it.
Like the man said, "it is a matter of principle and not a constitutional requirement", let it rest or better still, get a lawyer and file a complaint.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Jun 25, 2012

(a) a Chairman; and

[/size]

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by rhymz(m): 7:56pm On Jun 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Madam the joke is on you. It is you who is oozing with stupifying ignorance. You can google it up yourself, We all know it your favourite hobby for you to argue based your googled up knowledge, you are not "all-knowing" as you seem to think of yourself, afterall. After Yaradua died Jonathan picked his Vice and on assunption of office, they filled the asset declaration form and submitted them on May 27, 2010 to CCB. However, CCB refused to make its content public, how is that Jonathan's problem?
The FOI act you are flaunting here was aggressively altered to the point of deficiency before the President assented. So, while you are busy shouting FOI act, it should be noted that the FOI Act contains more exemption sections and clauses than sections that grant access to information, alerting that some mischievous public officers can use these sections for unjust and mischievous purposes. For instance, only Sections 1 and 3 grant access to information; but as many as ten sections (Sections 7, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 26) are meant to deny the public access to information.
In view of all these challenges in the FOI act, the leadership of the CCB can easily hide under one of these ten sections to male their arguments and deny the public of such information, has it even crossed your mind at all?
You think lawyers have not seen these loopholes hence their possible reluctance to go to court.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
It seems the PDP politicians are unusually quiet about yesterday's chat. If it went so well, you would think they would at least come out to say something. grin grin grin grin
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by osifred(m): 8:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

What has any of that got to do with you running all over nairaland misquoting the man.
Do you in anyway think you are educating anyone here?
Yes she is

1 Like

Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Johndoe100(m): 9:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
osifred:
Yes she is

You are learning from kobo? Boy I think you should learn from someone who is actually in Nigeria. He, kobo is not all there.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2012
The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act can't make the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) to release assets declaration details of President Goodluck Jonathan, as a provision of the Nigerian constitution has "precluded the bureau the liberty" to do so.

The bureau said this in a letter dated February 20, 2012 and signed by its secretary, Alhassan Ibrahim, in a response to Daily Trust's request of President Jonathan's assets declaration in accordance with the FOI Act signed into law by the President in March 2011.

In a letter dated December 8, 2011, Daily Trust had requested for the President's assets declaration form in CCB's custody. After several follow-ups the bureau responded last week, saying the Nigerian Constitution is supreme to the FOI Act, and therefore "has precluded the bureau the liberty to oblige" to the newspaper's request.

President Yar'adua's example

Late President Umaru Musa Yar'adua, publicly declared his assets less than one month after he was sworn into office in 2007. On July 1, 2007, Yar'adua, through his Special Adviser on Media and Communications, Mr Olusegun Adeniyi, told State House reporters that the president had total assets' value of N856,452,892, including N19 million owned by his wife, Turai. He did this by releasing to the public photocopies of his duly signed and completed assets declaration CCB1 forms.

Adeniyi explained that Yar'adua did that despite pressure from several quarters, adding that, "the bureau, while appreciating the noble intention of the president, counselled against the move on the grounds that such an action from the Number One citizen would put pressure on other categories of public officers to do same, even when the constitution makes the exercise a confidential matter."

"The dilemma of the president in the last four weeks has therefore been where to strike a balance, between the well-meaning concerns of the bureau, and following his conviction that his campaign pledge to Nigerians is a solemn commitment. Having weighed the two sides, the president has come to the conclusion that since he will not be breaking any law, he cannot go back on his promise to the nation," Adeniyi said.

Jonathan isn't going public with his assets

The then Vice President Jonathan also publicly declared his assets like Yar'adua did. But since then and unlike his predecessor, Jonathan has not publicly declared his assets nor allowed CCB to do so. It was as a result of this that on October 21, 2011, the African Centre for Media and Information Literacy (AFRICMIL) dragged the Code of Conduct Bureau to the Federal High Court, Abuja, over the assets declaration of Jonathan.

The suit with reference number FHC/ABJ/CS/877/2011 was filed on behalf of AFRICMIL by Ashimole Felix of Che Oyintumba & Associates, seeking an order of mandamus compelling the CCB to comply with its request of making available to the public the assets declarations of AFRICMIL, had on July 28, 2011, sent a Freedom of Information request to the CCB, asking "to be allowed to inspect and obtain copies of the 2007 assets declaration of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan; the assets declaration of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan after the end of his tenure on May 28, 2011 and the current assets declaration of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan when he assumed office on May 29, 2011."

According to the AFRICMIL Director of Programmes, Mr Lewis Asubiojo, the organisation was concerned that even with the memo from the Presidency that government agencies should subject themselves to the Freedom of Information Act, the CCB refused to act on its request. Mr. Asubiojo noted that for a government that has proclaimed a transformation agenda and wants to fight corruption, it is important that President Jonathan leads by example, and one way he can do that is to make public his assets declaration.

Source http://allafrica.com/stories/201202280678.html

Blind critics, please go to rest
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
^^ I will play Blind Critic so I can ask you some very simple question for you.

You just read that. What do you think that says? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Have you seen what the Constitution itself(not even the FOI) really says that the CCB has to do with every document they have in their possession? I know it is posted up there but I am of the mind that many of you here do not read at all. Prove me wrong if you can.

Are you saying that we should not believe what Jonathan Goodluck said on LIVE TV yesterday then? You mean the President LIED to Nigerians yesterday? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
FOI Act not binding on us - CCB

The Federal Government had in a circular dated January 29, 2012, from the office of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, ordered ministries, agencies, departments and all other public institutions to start implementing the FOI Act. But the bureau argued that it needs the National Assembly "to spell out the conditions and terms" upon which it would reveal such information requested by the newspaper.

The CCB letter read thus: "The Code of Conduct Bureau wishes to acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated 3rd June, 2011 on the above subject and to inform you that the Bureau has adequately and carefully examined your request vis-à-vis the relevant provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the constitutional powers and obligations of the Code of Conduct Bureau.
[b]
"It is the considered opinion of the Bureau that the provision of paragraph 3(c) of Part 1 of the Third Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has precluded the Bureau the liberty to oblige you what you have requested. The provision states thus: 'The Bureau shall have power to retain custody of Assets Declarations and make them available for inspection by any citizen of Nigeria on such terms and conditions as the National Assembly may prescribe.'"

It added that, "it is the contention of the bureau that: (a) The Constitution is Supreme Law of the land. Its provisions, therefore, take precedence over any other Act, Law or Regulation.

"(b) The provisions of the Freedom of Information Act could not substitute the constitutional requirements of the National Assembly to prescribe the terms and conditions under which Assets Declarations could be released.

"(c) The National Assembly, as of date, did not provide the Bureau, as custodian of Asset Declarations, those terms and conditions under which we could release the information to the public.

"In the circumstances, therefore, until the National Assembly prescribes such terms and conditions, the Code of Conduct Bureau would find it impossible to grant your request," CCB said.
[/b]
Adoke's circular on FOI Act implementation

Adoke's circular entitled, "Implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2011 and the Reporting Requirements under Section 29 Thereof" outlined guidelines and modalities to be adopted by the various public institutions in implementing the law.

It said that agencies are required to "work proactively and respond to requests promptly. Public institutions are enjoined to use modern technology to inform citizens of what is known and done by their government," adding that "agencies should readily and systematically post information online in advance of any public request."

The document also urged the agencies to "make it a priority to respond to in a timely manner" any information not previously disclosed, warning that "long delays should not be viewed as an inevitable and insurmountable consequence of high demand."
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
Again . . .

^^ I will play Blind Critic so I can ask you some very simple question for you.

Are you saying that we should not believe what Jonathan Goodluck said on LIVE TV yesterday then? You mean the President LIED to Nigerians yesterday? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by rhymz(m): 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2012
Johndoe100:

You are learning from kobo? Boy I think you should learn from someone who is actually in Nigeria. He, kobo is not all there.
hahahahahahha....kid is mesmerized by Junkie's incessant rant and round and round arguments...lol
na person wey never sabi her go dey yarn d kind jonesing wey the kid dey jones..... Kobo that can start a fight in a an empty room all by herself....lol
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
@kobo junkie

First and foremost. Madame/sir, whichever one, you have been disproved in the above post, of the lies you have been peddling that the president did not make a declaration of his assets prior to his resumption of office, as president of the Federal republic.

The letter from the CCB, clearly answers your questions, the constitution has PROVISIONS !

Which precludes the information from being provided ma / sir.

Search well, you will see it.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Kobojunkie: 10:23pm On Jun 25, 2012
df2006: @kobo junkie

First and foremost. Madame/sir, whichever one, you have been disproved in the above post, of the lies you have been peddling that the president did not make a declaration of his assets prior to his resumption of office, as president of the Federal republic.

The letter from the CCB, clearly answers your questions, the constitution has PROVISIONS !

Which precludes the information from being provided ma / sir.

Search well, you will see it.

Disproved? Are you having comprehension problems? I asked you if the President lied to the Nation yesterday when he declare the truth which is that he has not declared his asset and does not want to go against his principles? sad sad sad

Letter from CCB? [size=14pt]Of course CCB is not bound by FOI but by the Constitution. The Constitution requires that the CCB give the information to every Nigerian Citizen, not FOI. And I already posted it up there for you to read. [/size]

If the President declared yesterday that he did not believe in Asset Declaration, and even said he did not grudgingly in 2007, are you saying the President lied on June 24th 2012 when you suggest that he has in fact declared his asset?
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
It is such terms and conditions, Mr president yesterday, said the National Assembly should clarify, until then his assets declaration remains with the relevant bodies, and not to the public, and he doesn't give a damn what you think about it.
Re: GEJ Media Chat- Summary In Print. by jmaine: 10:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
rhymz: hahahahahahha....kid is mesmerized by Junkie's incessant rant and round and round arguments...lol
na person wey never sabi her go dey yarn d kind jonesing wey the kid dey jones..... Kobo that can start a fight in a an empty room all by herself....lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Uduaghan Commissions New Modern Hospital In Delta State / APC Stakeholders Threaten To Sue President Buhari Over 2019 Elections / Ward Congresses: Aregbesola Loses Out, As Oyetola Takes Control Of Osun APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.