Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,622 members, 7,770,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:40 PM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (959250 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android, Anyone? Part II by honsule(m): 7:26pm On Jun 26, 2012
The former thread had exceeded 100 pages which is the maximum number of pages allowed for a thread on Nairaland.
I hereby officially declare Part II of the thread open today.
ENJOY wink

23 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by aieromon(m): 7:36pm On Jun 26, 2012
honsule: The former thread had exceeded 100 pages which is the maximum number of pages allowed for a thread on Nairaland.
I hereby officially declare Part II of the thread open today.
ENJOY wink

The lawyer has spoken.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by edoyad(m): 8:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
Adios old thread cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by honsule(m): 9:26pm On Jun 26, 2012
aieromon:

The lawyer has spoken.

cool cool coolhow far?long time.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by DAvIt0(m): 1:17am On Jun 27, 2012
this is cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by puskin: 2:12am On Jun 27, 2012
Please.......when dem make me moderator for this section.

Jeez...... shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by gbolahan1(m): 11:35am On Jun 27, 2012
Pls. let's make only meaningful post here so that we won't exhust the limited pages we have in no time. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Donlokobanty(m): 11:47am On Jun 27, 2012
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD PES 2011 ON MY TOUCH 3G SLIDE?

7 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 2kurupt(m): 11:52am On Jun 27, 2012
Don lokobanty: WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD PES 2011 ON MY TOUCH 3G SLIDE?

Google is your best friend

5 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
android not andriod,
Dont let the iphone fanboys see thata gaffe o.

4 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by walcolm(m): 1:56pm On Jun 27, 2012
looks like a new version of the android OS is on the way...Ice cream sandwich about to become Jellybeans grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by honsule(m): 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2012
BoboYekini: android not andriod,
Dont let the iphone fanboys see thata gaffe o.

Thankz for pointing it out.It was an oversight on my part.
Rectified.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by honsule(m): 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
puskin: Please.......when dem make me moderator for this section.

Jeez...... shocked shocked shocked

when u were sleeping grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by malikalhaj: 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2012

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2012
Oh! sad
The thread has been put to sleep? Resurrecting as this?
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:26pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]Welcome to i/0 2012
The Highlights
[/size]

Google has quietly updated the Play Store listing for the Galaxy Nexus GSM with a new, slightly lower price: $349.
Remember, this is unlocked, off-contract pricing.
The new listing page also shows the device running Jelly Bean which Google has promised will come to the Galaxy Nexus by mid July.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:31pm On Jun 27, 2012
Over at Google I/O, the news about Android 4.1 - a.k.a. Jelly Bean, if you haven't heard - just broke.

The first announcement was Project Butter, a new processing framework for Android that should make it run much, much faster - up to 60fps, in fact. The CPU and graphics will now work together in harmony, with the latter being triple-buffered, meaning things like scrolling and transitions should be noticeably faster.

There's also going to be improved voice input, including support for offline voice-to-text, which should be exciting. Speaking of input, there's now going to be 18 more input languages, from Hebrew to improved Arabic support.

For blind users, there will also be improved accessibility, another requested feature.

Notably, the camera app has also been improved - users can now pinch to see the camera and gallery side-by-side, so you can swipe to the photo you just took.

Another improved feature is Android Beam, which will now allow you to share files between phones. You'll also be able to simply tap an NFC-capable speaker to pair with it - nice.

Android's already awesome notification system is also seeing an update, wherein your notifications for a certain app will be grouped together, and devs will be given more APIs. These APIs will allow users to control music apps from within the notification bar, and the notifications will expand or collapse upon your command. Sexy.

Google Search is also being improved, as we've been hearing about. There are now short "cards" with information about celebrities, weather, maps, etc. - so you will no longer have to dig through full Google results (though these will be available should you want them).

Another new feature is Google Now, which uses past actions for which you've used your phone to figure out useful things like faster routes home, bus / train schedules, restaurant menus, flight info, and sport scores. You can access all this from the search box or by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

Jelly Bean will start rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Motorola XOOM mid-July, but the SDK is available today. If you're not drooling yet, there's something wrong with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]The Nexus 7 Is Official - Here's Everything We Know[/size]

We've been hearing about waiting for Google's first tablet, the Nexus 7, to become official for what seems like an eternity. Google just made the official announcement (finally!) - here's everything we know so far:

Specs:

7" 1280x800 IPS display
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
1GB RAM
Super thin and light: only 340 Grams
front-facing camera
Wi-FI, Bluetooth, NFC
4325mAh battery - 9 hours of video playback, 300 hours of standby time
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Along with ASUS, Google designed the Nexus 7 with Google Play in mind. Everything from the homescreens to the way content is consumed, the N7 was designed with these things in mind. One thing that you may have noticed, though, is that it using a phone-like interface, not Android's dedicated tablet-optimized interface. This is clearly a design choice purposefully made by Google, and anyone who has actually used a seven-inch tablet will understand why: the tablet interface is better suited for ten-inch (or larger) devices. Still, we'll have to actually go hands-on to see what a difference this makes for everyday use.

The Nexus 7 will be available for pre-order beginning now starting at $199 for the 8GB version, and $250 for the 16GB version, and should begin shipping in mid-July in the U.S., U.K., Canada, and Australia with more countries to come. The Nexus 7 also comes with a $25 Play Store credit, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, The Bourne Dominion ebook, and several magazines. This way, you get to experience all the content right out of the box that the N7 was designed for.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]This Is The Nexus Q: Google's Front-Line Soldier In The Invasion Of Your Living Room[/size]

The device includes support for optical audio out, as well as micro HDMI video and audio. The device can connect to the internet via WiFi or ethernet. The device connects and can be set up via NFC. The device also includes a micro USB port to "encourage general hackability." This line was, of course, met with thunderous applause.

Because it's social, the device allows anyone with access to your Nexus Q to share media from their Play Store accounts. The Google engineers demoed using the device to share one users movie on someone else's Nexus Q. It's unclear if users will have to be in the room or on the same network with a Nexus Q to allow this to work, or if friends from across the country can share movies and music. The latter seems unlikely due to licensing issues, but hey, we can hope, right?

The price seems prohibitively high, but the experience appears to be incredibly high quality. So, what do you think? Is it sexy enough to justify the price? Or are you going to wait until the price drops?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]Jelly Bean Feature Closer Look: Expandable, Interactive, All-Around Enhanced Notifications[/size]

"Android has always put you in control when it comes to staying notified and connected. Now you can take action directly from the notifications shade," says Android's updated "What's New" page. Indeed, today's Jelly Bean announcement saw a number of improvements to the already handy notification system we've come to know and love in previous iterations of Android. Not only can the new notifications system display larger, richer notifications, developers can create actionable notification with interactive controls for telephony, music, and more.

With a new and improved Notification Builder, apps can create notifications with a height of up to 256dp. The builder also features three template styles. From the Android Developer site:

BigTextStyle — a notification that includes a multiline TextView object.
BigInboxStyle — a notification the shows any kind of list such as messages, headlines, and so on.
BigPictureStyle — a notification that showcases visual content such as a bitmap.

In addition to these styles, developers can create their own styles with up to three actions in a single notification. In addition to all of this, users can long-press notifications for further options, including displaying information about the sender, and the ability to "optionally disable further notifications from the app."

These enhancements allow users to see all the information they need about a notification, while potentially taking any action they could possibly want, all without leaving what they are working on elsewhere. While a revamped notification shade is just one of the improvements we'll see in Jelly Bean, it's a big one, majorly enhancing productivity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]Jelly Bean Feature Closer Look: Project Butter Means Enhanced Animations, Transitions, And More Responsive Apps That "Anticipate" Your Touch[/size]

Another major enhancement we've just learned about with the announcement of Jelly Bean is called Project Butter. Butter (so named likely due to the colloquialism "smooth as butter"wink represents a new, more efficient processing framework for Android's latest and greatest iteration, making the OS much faster (allowing animation up to 60fps). Android 4.1 also makes apps more responsive, reducing touch latency and "anticipating where your finger will be at the time of screen refresh."

"How is such an enhancement possible?" I can almost hear you wondering.

To ensure a consistent framerate, Android 4.1 extends vsync timing across all drawing and animation done by the Android framework. Everything runs in lockstep against a 16 millisecond vsync heartbeat — application rendering, touch events, screen composition, and display refresh — so frames don’t get ahead or behind.

Android 4.1 also adds triple buffering in the graphics pipeline, for more consistent rendering that makes everything feel smoother, from scrolling to paging and animations.

Android 4.1 reduces touch latency not only by synchronizing touch to vsync timing, but also by actually anticipatingwhere your finger will be at the time of the screen refresh. This results in a more reactive and uniform touch response. In addition, after periods of inactivity, Android applies a CPU input boost at the next touch event, to make sure there’s no latency.
from developer's site

Besides these enhancements, Project Butter also brings something called "Tooling" to the table. Tooling involves the use of a new tool called systrace. Systrace uses Android's Linux kernel to essentially paint an overall picture of what's happening on the system at any given moment, stacking time-series graphs representing happenings and allowing developers to "isolate rendering interruptions and other issues." For those interested, the tool is already available in the Android SDK (Tools R20 and higher).

Project Butter, on top of all the other new features we're learning about today, brings a major enhancement to Android, finally delivering on the age-old cliché of "smooth as butter" transitions and animation, while delivering myriad behind-the-scenes enhancements as well.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:56pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]Google announces Google Glass Explorer Edition, $1,500 pre-order shipping next year[/size]

Google has just revealed a new Google Glass Explorer Edition of its prototype camera-equipped glasses at I/O 2012. Pre-orders are open today, only for attendees of the I/O conference, and will cost $1,500 for a delivery early next year. As Sergrey Brin himself confesses, this is by no means intended to be a consumer product, but Google's keen to get the Project Glass hardware out into people's hands and onto their faces.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 7:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
ALL THE INFO COURTESY OF ANDROIDPOLICE AND THE VERGE!
Google no gree give me ticket o! grin

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 8:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]And the lucky sods who attended?[/size]
Google just announced that all 6,000 attendees of I/O will be walking away with an
Android Developer Pack — a Galaxy Nexus phone, Nexus 7 tablet, the latest OTA update of Jelly Bean, and the Nexus Q. Attendees will be able to pick them up at 4pm today — don't forget your badge and ID. We'll see how long it takes for developers to release Jelly Bean into the wild after getting it on their new devices today — we're willing to bet it won't take long.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 8:03pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=13pt]Google shows off Project Glass at I / O with live skydiving and bike jumps[/size]

We've been hearing things about Google Glass, the Google-powered eyeball accessory, for a while now. While the device isn't quite ready for consumers (and won't be for a while), we got an extensive look at what these devices can do...right after Google engineers jumped out of an airplane while on a Glass-based Hangout, then proceeded to bike across rooftops, repel down the side of the Moscone Conference Center, and finally bike into the I/O keynote to deliver the device on stage to Sergey Brin. This is the first product demo in recent memory where a company employee could feasibly have died. Bad a.s.s.

We still haven't gotten a demo of how the UI works, although Sergey hinted that showing off the UI would be difficult to accomplish. Nevertheless, it is nothing short of awe-inspiring to see a live, group video feed from 10,000 feet in the air. The device is certainly powerful. Of course, such a dramatic paradigm shift is not so easily accomplished, and Google, the company best known for being open to letting users beta test its unfinished products, is being remarkably timid with Glass. The device is going to be made available to non-Google personnel, but only those in attendance at Google I/O, and for the cost of $1500.

This is clearly not a consumer device just yet. We still have a long ways to go before us plebeians get our hands on them. However, Google is not making any secret of its desire to get the world's info as close to your brain as possible.

And with product demos like today's show, it's hard not to get excited.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
what a rush

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by aieromon(m): 7:17am On Jun 28, 2012
walcolm: looks like a new version of the android OS is on the way...Ice cream sandwich about to become Jellybeans grin

When the information was leaked,some people called it a rumour.

I intend getting an android phone but it has to have a minimum of ICS installed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
aieromon:

When the information was leaked,some people called it a rumour.

I intend getting an android phone but it has to have a minimum of ICS installed

Just get a Galaxy Nexus.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
I'm very sure a jellybean rom mod will be ported over soon.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
can i ask question here?

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
please i need genuine answer from users. I want to buy good android phone with 3g that has good battery life for moderate daily usage with only 30k or less with me. Iam considering galaxy y pro , but wen i read the review, i learnt that it has poor battery life and hangs alot . Please i need suggestion.
Or wch 3g android tab is durable with less than 200dollars i can order online and what realiable site can i get them,that you will recommend,folks

10 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.