Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,619 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! (49819 Views)

Td Snakes, Eddie Long Dong, Creflo Naira, Oledepo, Pastor Tithe, Rev Moola / Bishop Eddie Long Revisited - Eight Things I Think About Bishop Eddie Long / Eddie Long’s Church Is Collapsing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by paris10: 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2012

When Bishop Eddie Long was accused of sexual misconduct by former church members, his congregation rallied around him and his wife stood by his side. About a year later, the Atlanta megachurch pastor is headed for divorce and stepping away from the pulpit.
Long announced Sunday at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church that he needed a break from preaching to focus on his family. The hiatus leaves New Birth, which once boasted 25,000 members, at a crossroads, its reputation battered and membership dwindling. Their pasts inextricably linked for nearly a generation, both Long and his church face an uncertain future.

"A church is bigger than its pastor," said Goldie Taylor, who has attended New Birth in the past. "For too long, the New Birth family has acted as if it is smaller than its pastor. Its challenge going forward will be its ability to flip that and become a church without walls again."
For many members, Long has been the only pastor they have ever known. He became senior pastor in 1987, taking the helm of a flock of only a few hundred members. Not long after he arrived, the former Ford salesman and Honeywell executive dismissed New Birth's board of directors and took unilateral control of the church, ensuring that he would be the one to determine the date of his departure.
New Birth grew quickly under its charismatic, dynamic young leader, swelling to 8,000 members in five years. A decade later New Birth boasted 18,000 members and the church paid cash for the land and sprawling property it currently occupies in DeKalb County — including a 10,000-seat sanctuary. In addition to its Lithonia, Ga., headquarters, the church has satellites in several cities including Miami, Charlotte and Denver and television and international ministries.
Many who joined the church under Long's tenure were attracted to the prosperity gospel that he preached and practiced. It was a message that mirrored an emerging black middle class in and around Atlanta. Unlike the traditional Southern Baptist preacher, Long owned a $350,000 Bentley and private jet, lived in a $1.4 million house with six bedrooms and nine bathrooms, adorned himself with diamond jewelry and read his sermons on an iPad.
Long's spiritual swagger inspired a loyal and protective congregation. In September 2010, when accusations swirled that he used his lavish lifestyle to seduce four young men into sexual relationships in exchange for cars, clothes and trips, New Birth members supported around their embattled leader, who vowed he was innocent and would fight the cases.

Long settled out of court eight months later for an undisclosed amount and has never admitted any wrongdoing. After that, some changed their opinion of him.
"Once the money was paid, it was like you're hiding something," said Donielle Marshall, who joined New Birth as a college student in 1999. "Did you lie to us? I look at him as just a common man, full of fault, but also a disgrace."

KaCey Venning said she left New Birth about a month after the allegations because she wanted a smaller church. She believes New Birth can get past its challenges "if they are able to stick together and not rally behind somebody in blind support."
"They need to focus getting back to their outreach, getting out in the community," Venning said. "If the focus is going to be around this particular person, if there's no New Birth without him ... there might be a problem."
Long's wife, Vanessa, filed for divorce last week after 21 years of marriage. The couple has three children and a fourth from Long's first marriage. In a statement released by the church, Vanessa Long said she may reconsider her decision to divorce, but her filing followed "attacks in the media that frustrated and overwhelmed me."

The Rev. Kenneth Samuel, who preceded Long, said the allegations hurt.
"With New Birth being as large and prevalent as it is, every church in the area has felt the impact," Samuel said. "And rightly so. I think there has to be a level of accountability. I think it's certainly possible for the church to carry on. My prayer is for growth and progress and to become more committed to open, honest dialogue and discussion."
Marshall said the church can be healed, but also thinks Long needs to step down permanently.
"All things can be renewed, but I think he needs to leave," she said. "Why continue to lead people when you are being dishonest? It shames the church, it shames the followers, and it shames him."

http://news.yahoo.com/megachurchs-future-uncertain-pastor-leaves-233745752.html

1 Like

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by logicboy01: 2:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
Good news and good riddance to a con man.

However, the sheep in his church might still look for another conman pastor to deceive them

3 Likes

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
Maybe there's hope for the winners and the redeemed sheep...

1 Like

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by lepasharon(f): 5:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
see im face
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by dasparrow: 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2012
wow! shocked well ok undecided
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by valencia25(m): 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2012
Eddie Short grin grin
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by SisiKill1: 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2012
It's like a game of 10 green bottles isn't it? Only this time it is

10000 Prosperity Preaching Pastors sitting on a wall
If one 1 Prosperity Preaching Pastor inevitably falls down
There will 9999 Prosperity Preaching Pastors Sitting on a wall

Soon, very soon we will get to 0 and we can start another Rhyme. . .GOOD RIDDANCE!! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by IdiAmin2(m): 7:15pm On Jun 29, 2012
Guilty as sin.
Unfortunately, some members go still dey defend 'Man of God' after the man dey play with youngs boy booty hole in the church and use the member's hard earned money to pay dem youngs boys out of court settlement to the tune of £20 million.

I no know why I no go start church, instead of this everyday job. Enough mugus dey out there abeg

2 Likes

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Lakayana: 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2012
Wetin sef na olny pastors una dey see for nairaland make allow dem breath small na make una carry una wahala go jam imam and juju priest dem, dem sef dey do bad things.

1 Like

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Goldenheart(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2012
One by one, comot bad belle pastor.......
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Sagamite(m): 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2012
Bloody fa[i][/i]ot. undecided
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by logicboy01: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2012
Lakayana: Wetin sef na olny pastors una dey see for nairaland make allow dem breath small na make una carry una wahala go jam imam and juju priest dem, dem sef dey do bad things.

Sharaap

durty apologist
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by logicboy01: 7:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sisi_Kill: It's like a game of 10 green bottles isn't it? Only this time it is

If one 1 Prosperity Preaching Pastor inevitably falls down
There will 9999 Prosperity Preaching Pastors Sitting on a wall

Soon, very soon we will get to 0 and we can start another Rhyme. . .GOOD RIDDANCE!! cheesy

Amen
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Degis(m): 7:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
It is trite to say I told you so, but the prevailing scenario doesn't demand such because the down fall of a Man is not his end. The Church of Jesus Christ is greater than any individual and as such a Pastor's Fall from his place should not elicit any form of triumphant feeling from children of Perdition as seen from previous posts on this thread.

All Bishop Long needs to do is to quit digging because He is already in a Hole and seek for genuine help and repentance from God and undergo therapy and deliverance from this terrible affliction, and also seek forgiveness from the people He has grieved by his actions.

To my fellow Christians, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. (1 Corinthians 10:12 KJV)".

Let us make God, our standard, not man.

I commend my brethren to this Word, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, (Jude 1:24 KJV)

Finally, anybody waiting for the downfall of God's Servants like Pst. E.A Adeboye, Bishop David Oyedepo et al, will be ashamed because the God who sent them will keep them from falling and He who backs them will not leave them behind in Jesus mighty name

12 Likes

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by r231(m): 7:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite: Bloody fa[i][/i]ot. undecided

Lol grin grin
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Caseyfresh: 7:52pm On Jun 29, 2012
Na waw ooh
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Gospelgirl(f): 8:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
This is so disheartening,pastors now fail their congregations(issues ranging from homosexuality,gambling,fraud,immorality the list is so endless) without any fear of God, although one may be quick to ask if indeed God was the one that called them in the first place or they derailed somewhere along the way. Nevertheless We will keep praying for genuine repentance and true salvation of their souls.

Anyway that is why the Bible says ' work out YOUR salvation with fear and trembling,because on the last day I mean when we will stand before the judgement throne(for those that believe in that) we will all stand and give accounts as individuals and not as a church, group or even family. May the Lord continue to help us all.

1 Like

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by floriana(m): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2012
This reminds me of a certain Kris Okotie.
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by manosteel(m): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2012
I'm moved by this type of story, the Bible calls satan the 'the accuser of brethren' he the devil can even mobilize someone to do the same just to bring down. Christ was accused of so many things which he didn't do, the same thing applies to his disciples. Just becareful before jumping to conclusion.
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by thehomer: 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2012
Was this Bishop a true Christian?
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by queensmith: 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite: Bloody fa[i][/i]ot. undecided

just like you!!
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Sagamite(m): 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2012
Gospelgirl: This is so disheartening,pastors now fail their congregations(issues ranging from homosexuality,gambling,fraud,immorality the list is so endless) without any fear of God, although one may be quick to ask if indeed God was the one that called them in the first place or they derailed somewhere along the way. Nevertheless We will keep praying for genuine repentance and true salvation of their souls.

Anyway that is why the Bible says ' work out YOUR salvation with fear and trembling,because on the last day I mean when we will stand before the judgement throne(for those that believe in that) we will all stand and give accounts as individuals and not as a church, group or even family. May the Lord continue to help us all.

Which one do you know that God called?

Was it on MTN or Glo?
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by queensmith: 8:12pm On Jun 29, 2012
now is this the guy that was reppin lil children. . . . . . . took him long enough!
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Decryptor(m): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2012
Hmmm! Bishop Eddie Long decieved his sheep for Long and now he's on a lonnnng thing!

1 Like

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Sagamite(m): 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

just like you!!

No.

Fa[i][/i]ots are heroes of morbidly obese fucktards like you that lie you have a Medical degree from London Schoool of Business and Finance.

No wonder you are a gay champion! grin
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by logicboy01: 8:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite:

No.

Fa[i][/i]ots are heroes of morbidly obese fucktards like you that lie you have a Medical degree from London Schoool of Business and Finance.

I have the feeling that you're a religious bigot......odds are 9/1
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by 4good(m): 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2012
This is no news at all. Totally obsolete. The poster needs to check well before posting. All issues were already ironed out since early this year. How on earth can this now make frontpage as if it is a fresh happening. ONLY GOD IS THE JUDGE. EDDIE LONG IS BACK AT New Birth MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH.

I think each of us can follow the link in the post and do more findings. Again, God is the Judge. All things are open before the Almighty God.

2 Likes

Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Sagamite(m): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2012
logicboy01:

I have the feeling that you're a religious bigot......odds are 9/1

I have a feeling you are a mooron! Odds are 1/9.

I am irreligious, mugu!

Go back to school and slap your psychology teacher.
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by logicboy01: 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite:

I have a feeling you are a mooron! Odds are 1/9.

I am irreligious, mugu!

Go back to school and slap your psychology teacher.

I'd take your odds. 1/9 means that there is over 88% chance that I'm not a slowpoke. Slap you maths teacher.

Sorry about calling you religious but why use the word "fagg.ot"?
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by queensmith: 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite:

No.

he's not just a faggit he is also retarded and dyslexic. Mehn the gods were really asleep the day you were born to be cursed with soo many atrocities.

theres no hope for your life.
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by Sagamite(m): 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

he's not just a faggit he is also retarded and dyslexic. Mehn the gods were really asleep the day you were born to be cursed with soo many atrocities.

theres no hope for your life.

Walrus-figure fugly, why are you so pro-gay?

Some few people close to have come out of the closet and are gay? grin
Re: Disgraced Bishop, Eddie Long Finally Quit New Birth Church!!! by queensmith: 8:49pm On Jun 29, 2012
Sagamite:

Walrus-figure fugly, why are you so pro-gay?

Some few people close to have come out of the closet and are gay? grin

I dragged ur arse out the closet dude. . . .dealwithit!

Amoeba shaped ugly mothafocker

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"I Am Relocating To Israel" - Prophet TB Joshua / Christians Shouldn't Have A Divorce - Chris Oyakhilome / Daddy Freeze Reacts As Father Mbaka Embarrasses Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.