Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program (21083 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / Canada federal skilled workersProgram, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by solomonwis(m): 4:32am On Jun 30, 2012
Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney today announced the latest step in re-designing Canada’s economic immigration system.

Effective July 1st, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will place a temporary pause on new applications to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and federal Immigrant Investor Program (IIP).

“We have been making lots of changes to our economic immigration system,” said Minister Kenney. “We will take the next six months to do a lot of the heavy lifting to get us closer to a fast and flexible immigration system.”

The pause will allow CIC to make important changes to its economic immigration programs before accepting more applications. This is an important step in moving towards a faster, more flexible immigration system, while immigration levels are at a historic high.

Since the launch of Canada’s Economic Action Plan 2012, Minister Kenney has announced a series of changes to CIC’s economic immigration programs. They include:

eliminating the backlog of old FSWP applications;
improving the selection of FSWs;
creating a new Federal Skilled Trades Program;
modifying the Canadian Experience Class to help transition successful skilled temporary workers to permanent residence;
changing business immigration programs to target more active investment in Canadian growth companies and more innovative entrepreneurs; and
moving towards a new application management system, to develop a pool of skilled workers who arrive in Canada ready to begin employment.

“This temporary pause on new Federal Skilled Worker applications will allow us to set the program on a new course as we intend to launch revised selection criteria soon,” said Minister Kenney. “The pause has no impact on the number of workers Canada admits into the country, as CIC continues to process applications already received. Current immigration remains at historically high levels.”

Application intake is expected to resume in January 2013, when the proposed FSWP regulatory changes – which will be published in the Canada Gazette in the coming months – are expected to come into force.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act allows the Minister to issue special instructions to immigration officers to enable the Government of Canada to best attain its immigration goals. Since the 2008 Action Plan for Faster Immigration, four sets of “Ministerial Instructions” have been issued relating to Economic Class applications.

Under this fifth set of Ministerial Instructions, CIC will also introduce a pause on new federal IIP applications. This pause will remain in place until further notice, allowing the Department to make progress on processing its existing inventory.

As Minister Kenney announced earlier in April, CIC will be consulting with provinces, territories and stakeholders on ways to reform the current IIP in order to maximize the economic benefit to Canada. The Department is also consulting on whether to create a new investor program on a short-term basis, to promote growth in the Canadian economy.

The temporary pause on FSWP applications does not apply to candidates with offers of arranged employment or those applying under the PhD eligibility stream. The full set of Ministerial Instructions will be available online in the Canada Gazette tomorrow.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-06-28.asp
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by miteolu(m): 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2012
Pls, I need summary.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by zaboy: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
miteolu: Pls, I need summary.

you won't get canadian visa, so dont bother applying.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by obitobe: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2012
zaboy:

Lmao............
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by miteolu(m): 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2012
zaboy:

Have gotten any? embarassed lipsrsealed cry
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2012
Oh yeah, great news. Kudos Canada.

Atleast, this will make our so called graduated "economic migrant" to think something out for themselves or better yet Revolt against their government instead of running away at the slightest hint for already made pie.

Business,study and tourism purposes sounds more reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by OmichaelO: 4:30pm On Jun 30, 2012
*confused*
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Ogbodavies(m): 4:43pm On Jun 30, 2012
so what,next news pls
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by osram(m): 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2012
Abeg make Dm introduce 'CANADIAN VISA LOTTERY' JOR

2 Likes

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by ceejay80s(m): 6:17pm On Jun 30, 2012
Canada visa no sure for anybody
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 30, 2012
This only affects those who intend to migrate to Canada as skilled workers or investors. You simply can not apply until the new system is put in place.
It does not stop you from applying for study or tourist or any form of temporary visit.

[b][/b]
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by hagma37yahoocom: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2012
i can just understand wetin people dey go do for inside dat heavy cold called canada mteeeeew
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by sizzlers(m): 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2012
hagma37@yahoo.com:
i can just understand wetin people dey go do for inside dat heavy cold called canada mteeeeew
i wonder o!
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Effwazobia: 7:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
hagma37@yahoo.com:

You are kidding me right? FYI- Better life, better place to raise your children, more opportunities, stable economy, better healthcare system, more structured system that is governed by rules. Need I go on?

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by kunlaxo: 7:50pm On Jun 30, 2012
Effwazobia:

You are kidding me right? FYI- Better life, better place to raise your children, more opportunities, stable economy, better healthcare system, more structured system that is governed by rules. Need I go on?

Bros..All that glitters are not GOld..in same canada same people enjoy good road network..health facilities..best cars BUt no money in the pocket..all they they live on is credit card and crunch..debts and loan of all kinds..they cant even afford to maitain more than one car or even build a 2 Bedroom apartment in nigeria supports their family member back home and when they die of cold they get sent back home on nothing.i just lost a friend last 2months died of cold.
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Siga: 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
Guys relax....not everywhere in Canada is extremely cold all year round now....currently its over 30c....winter time go up and down...at least where I dey...it goes to -35 windchill on a bad winter day and I no die...

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Curiouscity(m): 9:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
kunlaxo:

Bros..All that glitters are not GOld..in same canada same people enjoy good road network..health facilities..best cars BUt no money in the pocket..all they they live on is credit card and crunch..debts and loan of all kinds..they cant even afford to maitain more than one car or even build a 2 Bedroom apartment in nigeria supports their family member back home and when they die of cold they get sent back home on nothing.i just lost a friend last 2months died of cold.

Typical naija mentality. So now money defines success and quality of life? This mentality of getting money and showing it is what is driving most of us to early graves in Nigeria.Let half of what U name here, like being able to buy things on credit,happen in Nigeria, and we'll say it is heaven on earth.
At least Canadians are not lining up foreign embassies for visa like we do. Is there any foreign embassy in Lagos and Abuja that we don't line up for visa? Let's be sincere to ourselves, WHY DOES EVERYONE WANTS TO LEAVE NIGERIA?

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by AjanleKoko: 9:44pm On Jun 30, 2012
Curious_city:
WHY DOES EVERYONE WANTS TO LEAVE NIGERIA?

Point of correction there.
Less than 1% of Nigerians apply for any kind of visa, statistically speaking.
So it would appear that the other 99% do not have any plans of leaving.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Curiouscity(m): 10:17pm On Jun 30, 2012
AjanleKoko:

OK, thanks for the correction. Maybe I should say why do most Nigerians wish to leave Nigeria.
The 1% U are referring is of the total population. Can U find the % of literate and exposed Nigerians
like most graduates. After all, I wouldn't expect my illiterate grandma to apply for visa.
Get 10 of your friends/relatives and introduce them to how to get US visa, then come back and
confirm ur statistics. Or wait till October when the US visa lottery is out. BTW how many Canadians
apply for Nigerian Visa per annum?

The point I was trying tell U, is that U were biased in ur previous post.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by renewnaija(m): 10:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
AjanleKoko:

If given the opportunity, most of them will leave. Did you see what Effwazobia listed out? I would never trade these for anything.

Effwazobia:

Bro, you are so on point. Quality of life (security, health, sleeping with two eyes closed, etc) for me is key for I & my children.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by chijokz(m): 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2012
renewnaija:

If given the opportunity, most of them will leave. Did you see what Effwazobia listed out? I would never trade these for anything.

Bro, you are so on point. Quality of life (security, health, sleeping with two eyes closed, etc)[b][/b] for me is key for I & my children.

Gbam!
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Siga: 10:52pm On Jun 30, 2012
People need to realise that leaving Nigeria for White man land is not only about money....security is huge part of it...imagine running out of salt while cooking at night...u can go out even at 2am to go shopping...good roads...excellent healthcare system...and the fact that no one can oppress u wit watever car or house dem get....u can get same car with good credit....so...its way better...if u have the opportunity...leave and make good of it...it will be rough at the beginning...but u can make it work

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by tunnytox(m): 11:22pm On Jun 30, 2012
Baddd news I have few of my relatives already waiting for 1st of july so they can submitt their application sad
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by tiebe: 11:24pm On Jun 30, 2012
all these arguments on whether or not to leave Nigeria is a little old na. to each his own. life na per head. Nigeria favours some while obodo oyibo favours others. security and standard of living outside Nigeria is good stuff, and then in Nigeria, with a certain kinda job, u can afford the kinda life that wont mean u're missing much on what oyibo land has to offer.

Canada temporarily closing skilled visa applications must b bad news for people who were considering moving. i think canada has received more applications this yr especially as uk don tighten belt.
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by birdman(m): 11:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
renewnaija:

Bro, you are so on point. Quality of life (security, health, sleeping with two eyes closed, etc) for me is key for I & my children.

You can have those same things in Nigeria, within reason, if you put in the hard work you undoubtedly will be forced to in Canada. And owning a house debt free is something you will probably never be able to do abroad. Dont forget the standard of living is falling too. There are PhDs from good schools sweeping streets and driving taxis in Canada. Living abroad has its pluses, but is not a slam dunk (or gbam) as you think.
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by tunnytox(m): 11:47pm On Jun 30, 2012
birdman:

You can have those same things in Nigeria, within reason, if you put in the hard work you undoubtedly will be forced to in Canada. And owning a house debt free is something you will probably never be able to do abroad. Dont forget the standard of living is falling too. There are PhDs from good schools sweeping streets and driving taxis in Canada. Living abroad has its pluses, but is not a slam dunk (or gbam) as you think.

Sometimes I wonder how some people reason, if you like Nigeria so much that you want to stay there at all costs then so be it. People migrate for different reasons and mind you sweeping streets with Phd is better than roaming about with your Phd with nothing to do. In the end its down to choice, in a country like Nigeria if you have some health problems its undoubtedly a death sentence. In the UK here government can spend several thousands of pounds on just one patient, some patient with kidney failure can have dialysis 3 times a week free, tell me if you have such problem in Nigeria how can you survive even with your hard work? abi na persin wey sick go dey do hard work?
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:03am On Jul 01, 2012
....actually you guys are making some point,my prayer is that God will raise a good leader in Nigeria and africa as whole.Instead of fighting a civil war on Nairaland forum, let us begin to direct our anger to every corrupt leader because they are the root of all evil.US,UK,Canada,France...government knows their citizen will never take a "F**K that is the more reason they make sure they satify them.In Nigeria we take a lot of "nosense that is why they keep giving us "cheat".I heard you guys talking about credit cards,Credit cards are not cheap to come by, it is equivalent of your monetry worth.If you dont have a good job you can never have a credit card.My brothers,if you have the opportunity to travel out the country legally do it,within a year you will have a good story to tell.
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by Lisa1: 1:06am On Jul 01, 2012
Good point
Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by factbox(f): 3:11am On Jul 01, 2012
Hynmmmmmmm! after reading all the correspondent posts so far, here is my advice for all our youth back home, before i write anything i will like to aknowledge some ppl dat will get back @ me for posting dis simple truth. buh d truth still needs to be told anyways, There is no where like home HONESTLY! here i am in Hamilton Ontario Canada, i am a student here and i have couple of naija folks here too ranging from young to adults.
No big deal about abroad to be very factual ppl come back home to tell us different stories which is far different from what i saw when i got here. There is serious suffer head here despite d fact dat there are all those facilities Tonnytox talked about but yet we pay handsomely to enjoy them all, what is d essence of good facilities without money in d pocket moreso who are those lying to u ppl dat free medical for everybody dat are citizens here BLANTANT LIE ppl here just get part of it paid by the government but d biggest part of it is paid by d invalid himself.
Alot of lies ppl come back to tell us but my advice here is seeing is believing because there are lots of things to talk about buh i have no tym to type for long. EAST OR WEST HOME IS D BEST .we dont always understand dis until we see for ourselves,PEOPLE ALWAYS BELIEVE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE INSTEAD OF WETTING THE GRASS THEY ARE STANDING ON.
When u get here u will realise dat (Canada is urs to discover).
THIS IS A WONDERFUL TRUTH DAT NOT SO MANY PPL HERE WILL LIKE TO TELL because THEY WANT OTHERS TO COME EXPERIENCE SAME WIF THEM............... my little coin.

1 Like

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by guddylover(m): 3:29am On Jul 01, 2012
Hey, you dey Canada, you dey discourage people from going abroad. You should learn how to understand this,the fact that people still suffer abroad just because they are still students doesnt mean it will be the same forever, do you think it will all be same after Graduation? from my own opinion, i think people should be able to make their choices.

If suffer dey Canada, why you never go back Nigeria.

No place like home my foot.

factbox: Hynmmmmmmm! after reading all the correspondent posts so far, here is my advice for all our youth back home, before i write anything i will like to aknowledge some ppl dat will get back @ me for posting dis simple truth. buh d truth still needs to be told anyways, There is no where like home HONESTLY! here i am in Hamilton Ontario Canada, i am a student here and i have couple of naija folks here too ranging from young to adults.
No big deal about abroad to be very factual ppl come back home to tell us different stories which is far different from what i saw when i got here. There is serious suffer head here despite d fact dat there are all those facilities Tonnytox talked about but yet we pay handsomely to enjoy them all, what is d essence of good facilities without money in d pocket moreso who are those lying to u ppl dat free medical for everybody dat are citizens here BLANTANT LIE ppl here just get part of it paid by the government but d biggest part of it is paid by d invalid himself.
Alot of lies ppl come back to tell us but my advice here is seeing is believing because there are lots of things to talk about buh i have no tym to type for long. EAST OR WEST HOME IS D BEST .we dont always understand dis until we see for ourselves,PEOPLE ALWAYS BELIEVE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE INSTEAD OF WETTING THE GRASS THEY ARE STANDING ON.
When u get here u will realise dat (Canada is urs to discover).
THIS IS A WONDERFUL TRUTH DAT NOT SO MANY PPL HERE WILL LIKE TO TELL because THEY WANT OTHERS TO COME EXPERIENCE SAME WIF THEM............... my little coin.

6 Likes

Re: Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program by canadaik(m): 4:13am On Jul 01, 2012
hagma37@yahoo.com:

As if say if they give u chance go, you no go jump carry your bag mtcheeew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4)

How Can I Get Egypt Visa / Best Asian Country For A Nigerian To Hustle / FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.