Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1787575 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Eifeh(m): 8:28am On Feb 20, 2013
How Gov. Chime has him resume work?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by exago(m): 9:19am On Feb 20, 2013
spyder880: And did you ever know, that we have a BIG BEN in Enugu, just like London grin

These are landmark buildings.....its the state heritage and history, should not be touched but preserved
coming from an Urban planner
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by exago(m): 9:43am On Feb 20, 2013
spyder880: At the site where they are building the new multi-level state secretariat, there are houses still standing, this one was built in 1928, but may still be demolished to build the new floors.

These are landmark buildings.....its the state heritage and history, should not be touched but preserved
coming from an Urban planner
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 1:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Enugu is beautiful cool
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HighChief4(m): 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2013
Honestly, Chime has really done a good work in Enugu, all am praying for is continuity, though Enugu is always blessed with good Governors(at least compared to other states)
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
Ozonna: Spyda, i think its time you open another thread. wink
Maka gini kwanu? Nka ezugo.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:08am On Feb 26, 2013
I think (and this goes for any city in Nigeria besides Abuja) the best time to showcase a city (like Saint-Solo has just done with Enugu) is just after a rainfall; so everywhere isn't so dusty.

You can all see how Enugu is looking so untidy now with refuse heaps visible and streets not swept; i hope this is owing to the governors recent absence, and that work will now start in ernest to clean THE WHOLE city and bring it back to the 'clean' status for which it is known.

Also, the roads in the inner-streets need to be looked into as it seems the gov't (within Enugu metropolis) is focusing more on major dual-carriage ways and Independence layout/GRA to the neglect of other roads.

But nice effort though.

Video courtesy of Saint-Solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guz6qNt1NMg
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by WarriPikin1: 2:13am On Feb 26, 2013
O'l boy, i watched the whole 9 videos on youtube. Enugu is beautiful o'jare!
The Governor, Chime is really working. They just have to take aesthetics seriously. If Enugu roads had more trees and flowers especially in the median,the city will be totally transformed.

Those who used to know Kigali,Rwanda will attest to how proper use of flowers and ornamental palm and other trees especially planted in the median and around the roads have transformed it from a rural dusty town into a beautiful garden city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCHXRO_Vk4
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 26, 2013
@ Warri Pikin. I agree that aesthetics will make Enugu one of the most beautiful cities in Nigeria.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:29am On Feb 26, 2013
Warri _Pikin: O'l boy, i watched the whole 9 videos on youtube. Enugu is beautiful o'jare!
The Governor, Chime is really working. They just have to take aesthetics seriously. If Enugu roads had more trees and flowers especially in the median,the city will be totally transformed.

Those who used to know Kigali,Rwanda will attest to how proper use of flowers and ornamental palm and other trees especially planted in the median and around the roads have transformed it from a rural dusty town into a beautiful garden city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCHXRO_Vk4

^^^Warri_Pikin, thanks for the video; it was quite revealing!

Somebody remind me again....is Rwanda exporting crude oyel?; isn't it a landlocked country?; aren't they recovering from a genocidal war (which a truth and reconciliation body helped to heal) yet their country looks so peaceful and organized? I'm really impressed. smiley
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:37am On Feb 26, 2013
CFCfan: @ Warri Pikin. I agree that aesthetics will make Enugu one of the most beautiful cities in Nigeria.

^^^Our problem in Nigeria is that either we think things like tree-lined streets, well-trimmed grass verges, swept and spotless roads, road markings, sidewalks, signage......we think all this is not necessary; or when they're considered at all, they're only meant for the well-heeled in society and their neighbourhood.

Trees like the ones we see in the Kigali video could help hide a multitude of 'sins' in our cities. wink
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:50am On Feb 26, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Our problem in Nigeria is that either we think things like tree-lined streets, well-trimmed grass verges, swept and spotless roads, road markings, sidewalks, signage......we think all this is not necessary; or when they're considered at all, they're only meant for the well-heeled in society and their neighbourhood.

Trees like the ones we see in the Kigali video could help hide a multitude of 'sins' in our cities. wink

Exactly. Those things are typically reserved for Lagos Island, Abuja and a few state capitals. Nigerians don't generally appreciate aesthetics.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:41am On Feb 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA20y54qBSk&playnext=1&list=PLvQkeYRiKdawWRDh2CIAPTliKMDFDcENC&feature=results_video

......... and just to put how rich Rwanda is in perspective,

The entire Rwandan 2013 national budget of $835 million dollars which converted into Nigerian Naira (N160 naira for $1) is a paltry N133.6 billion naira
It is MUCH LESS Than: many Nigerian state budgets.

Rivers State budget= N490 billion,Lagos = N497 Billion naira,Akwa Ibom = N 459 billion naira,
Kano= 235.3 Billion naira,Ogun = N 211.9 Billion naira,
Delta State= 398.3 Billion naira,Borno = 184 Billion,
Kaduna= N179 Billion naira, Ondo= N151 Billion naira, Oyo= N160 Billion,
Bayelsa= N285 Billion, Imo State= N 197 billion naira,Edo = 150 Billion naira
etc.

Yet, unlike Rwanda,all these states have no army, police or air force to fund or a population of 13 million people or diplomatic missions around the world, which Rwanda must cater for with just N 133 billion naira! In spite of that, Rwanda finds money to build shining cities to shame our so called Nigerian state capitals, even from states earning double Rwanda's national income!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:45am On Feb 26, 2013
^^
To be fair, Lagos State has a population of 18 million. But with an over $3 billion budget, I expect better from them (LASG) and other state govts.
The total state budgets in Nigeria might be around N2 trillion, or $13 billion!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 3:55am On Feb 26, 2013
Why do we as Nigerians compare the national capitals of other countries to anything but our own national capital?
Kigali pass Abuja?

more importantly Enugu already has tree lined streets, it just needs more.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/365458_Bisala_Road_near_New_Haven_JPG9ab9039002bafbc53ad85763c93da7dd
www.nairaland.com/attachments/365457_Bisala_Road_JPG7970acad837ebea73f550f18a4c75441
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 4:08am On Feb 26, 2013
Ikengawo: Why do we as Nigerians compare the national capitals of other countries to anything but our own national capital?
Kigali pass Abuja?
O'l boy don't be silly. How can you compare tiny Rwanda with a budget of mere $835 million dollars to Nigeria with a budget of more than $33 billion dollars?
Rwanda's budget is the equivalence of Nigerian states. That is why it is compared to our states that earn similar or slightly more amount of money.
Just like you cannot compare Nigeria directly to China with 1.3 billion people and a budget of $ 10 trillion dollars? But you can compare what Nigeria was able to achieve with $33 billion dollars and 167 million people to a region of China with similar budget and demographic.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:37pm On Feb 26, 2013
Ikengawo: Why do we as Nigerians compare the national capitals of other countries to anything but our own national capital?
Kigali pass Abuja?

more importantly Enugu already has tree lined streets, it just needs more.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/365458_Bisala_Road_near_New_Haven_JPG9ab9039002bafbc53ad85763c93da7dd
www.nairaland.com/attachments/365457_Bisala_Road_JPG7970acad837ebea73f550f18a4c75441

^^^Ikengawo, not so fast mate! Chima is spot on in his analysis; and besides those pics you posted of Enugu are from a few years back when it was clean and the roads fairly new and swept daily; also i'm getting sick and tired of peeps showing only pics of independence layout and GRA whenever anyone wants to talk of Chimes' good governance, as if independence layout and GRA are the sum total of the whole Enugu metropolis!

Going by the video i posted yesterday, i'll score the state gov't/ESWAMA 25% (this is for cleanliness and appearance of the state capital).
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 4:44pm On Feb 26, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Ikengawo, not so fast mate! Chima is spot on in his analysis; and besides those pics you posted of Enugu are from a few years back when it was clean and the roads fairly new and swept daily; also i'm getting sick and tired of peeps showing only pics of independence layout and GRA whenever anyone wants to talk of Chimes' good governance, as if independence layout and GRA are the sum total of the whole Enugu metropolis!

Going by the video i posted yesterday, i'll score the state gov't/ESWAMA 25% (this is for cleanliness and appearance of the state capital).
God bless you!
I keep saying same on this forum.
Enugu can be so much better.
It is a very well planned city, which doesnt need so much to keep it spotless.
Have you driven down lower Presidential road?
It has apparently 'NEVER' been swept because grass is growing by the kerb right in the middle of the road!
Yet ESWAMA is putting new refuse collectors.
What does it take to sweep street roads with thousands of unemployed citizens roaming about.
Even for the few roads that are swept, work starts anytime from 10am.
hmmm.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:02pm On Feb 26, 2013
Another short video of a Kigali suburb. I'm still amazed at how this country is developing in leaps and bounds with such a small budget! shocked

Kigali oni baje o! grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZpNtrDte4

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 26, 2013
In terms of aesthetics,enugu hasn't got it. And they are not really serious about it.
But compared to most nigerian states,it is among the best.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 1:20am On Feb 27, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
Another short video of a Kigali suburb. I'm still amazed at how this country is developing in leaps and bounds with such a small budget! shocked

Kigali oni baje o! grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZpNtrDte4
MEnn! enugu is a fine cityooo the guy with the bike as he was cruising,i thought it was some big man area like hamstead in london shocked that area must be for richman dem area i guess tongue
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 1:57am On Feb 28, 2013
Enugu State University of Science & Technology. (ESUT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_vjMpIIRE
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by backtosender: 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2013
ENUGU BEAUTIFUL AND BLESS CITY..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Activity77(m): 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
spyda...u ve done a great work here.pls can u help us with the latxt pix of enugu life style and golf city.i cant wait 2 c dat...tnx alot

SULLIVAN IS TRULY WORKIN
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by joeluv: 9:47am On Mar 10, 2013
Okunino-agbudu-afiammaya road

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by joeluv: 9:49am On Mar 10, 2013
Ozalla

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by joeluv: 9:51am On Mar 10, 2013
Enugu underground works

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by princepee: 1:37pm On Mar 10, 2013
my gov pls extend this development to my villa aguobu owa ezeagu LGA most road project there have been abandond
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 1:54pm On Mar 19, 2013
It appears the indiscriminate dumping of refuse on the Enugu PH highway towards ENUGU is on the increase.
ESWAMA seems to have completely neglected that aspect of Enugu.
The flyovers have been defaced with refuse.
ESWAMA pls do sth before it gets out of hand
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 2:27pm On Mar 19, 2013
eaglechild: It appears the indiscriminate dumping of refuse on the Enugu PH highway towards ENUGU is on the increase.
ESWAMA seems to have completely neglected that aspect of Enugu.
The flyovers have been defaced with refuse.
ESWAMA pls do sth before it gets out of hand

^^^Don't you think pics would have been a more effective way to convey your message?

Honestly, i don't know what's happening with Enugu gov't/ESWAMA anymore.

Why the fuc/k is it difficult to maintain an effective waste disposal system and sweep your roads on a DAILY basis?; yet they collect all their rates/levies/taxes without fail, and local gov'ts (who should have been responsible for environmental sanitation in the first place) receive their monthly allocation from the centre as and when due.

These gov't officials go abroad and see how spotless the streets are in national and regional/provincial capitals yet they come back home and let standards slip, while officials incharge are not held to account!

If the governor or his assistants responsible for keeping Enugu spotless bother to leave the comfort of their airconditioned offices and homes, they'd be in a good position to know when ESWAMA is slacking and then call them to order.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 8:10am On Mar 20, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Don't you think pics would have been a more effective way to convey your message?

Honestly, i don't know what's happening with Enugu gov't/ESWAMA anymore.

Why the fuc/k is it difficult to maintain an effective waste disposal system and sweep your roads on a DAILY basis?; yet they collect all their rates/levies/taxes without fail, and local gov'ts (who should have been responsible for environmental sanitation in the first place) receive their monthly allocation from the centre as and when due.

These gov't officials go abroad and see how spotless the streets are in national and regional/provincial capitals yet they come back home and let standards slip, while officials incharge are not held to account!

If the governor or his assistants responsible for keeping Enugu spotless bother to leave the comfort of their airconditioned offices and homes, they'd be in a good position to know when ESWAMA is slacking and then call them to order.
You are very right.
The DAILY sweeping of roads is what really bothers me.
Why is it so difficult for a state govt to do sth so routine?
You just summarised everything on my mind.
I couldnt really get pics bc i was in a moving car.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
This is the stage of work at our secretariat complex. More than 6 more sites being built at the same time around this area.

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (698) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.