Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (403) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1782865 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
OreMI22:
Spyder is that the location of the airport hotel on the map?

Yes, right at the entrance to the local wing which is in use now. Makes me think this might be a private hotel.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 11, 2015
You're very correct!

OreMI22:

At a point, i also supported 3sc, especially when Abiola wanted to own it.
I noticed that Nigeria was not so tribalistic in the past as it is now. I think after the civil war, Nigerians learned the dangers of tribalism and taking each other's tolerance for granted. I believe sometime from Abacha's regime to the present time, tribalism has assumed a central role in nigeria. it will probably lead to nigeria's demise unless a great leader is able to make some structural changes to defeat the role of tribalism in Nigeria. Unfortunately, all the leaders we have at present believe they have benefited from tribalism and will definitely not do anything to kill what has benefited them politically.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
cjrane:

They have not added an inch taxiway to where they abandoned the taxiway since 2013 August 23rd commissioning for international flights. The taxiway has not even linked the new(intl.) and old terminal buildings talk more of reaching one end of the runway. All other international airport including Kaduna airport has taxiway to both ends of the runway which is typically 3.25km long. With Lagos being 4km long while Kano and Abuja are 3.5 km long. Only Enugu runway is 3km long.The length of runway at 3km, isn't really bad as it can still take many large plane
I have monitored the development of Akanu Ibiam Intl. from multiple sources on the ground and online.

As for Buhari's commitment to completing the project, only time will tell. I can only say that I was glad with spyder's recent pictures showing work was still ongoing on the new terminal building.

What is of the biggest concern is that we seem to have relaxed for only Ethiopian to service the airport. Lufthansa flies 3 times/week from Malabo Intl. airport to Frankfurt, Enugu state govt. can lobby Lufthansa to make the route Malabo-Enugu-Frankfurt, which I'm sure they'd be glad to add Enugu to that route to make it more lucrative for the airline. Which will also give the needed vital link from Enugu to Europe and USA.
Also, Air France can fly Libreville-Enugu-Paris or Brussels airline can fly Douala-Enugu-Brussels 2 or 3 times a week. Many Intl. airlines already fly Kano-Ndjamena-Istanbul and other similar combinations of Kano with other small Intl airports in north Africa into Europe. We must work hard to collaborate Enugu International airport with some smaller African countries International airports around us that have airlines going to Europe and USA but have low passengers volume.That will be a win-win situation for all parties. It must not be a direct flight between Enugu-Frankfurt or somewhere in Europe as many tend to think it should.

Hopefully, we'll work with large european airlines unprofitably plying small central or west african capitals to do a combination flights with Enugu to improve their profit margin, the way Kano combines with Ndjamena airport.
Combining Enugu with Douala, Cameroon or libreville, Gabon is the fastest way to attract these European carriers to Enugu right now and establish the link into Europe from Enugu.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2015
If eventually, its a mall I think they would come with a different concept and items, since polo mall has dominated the market. The info I got was that it's park 'n' shop. Which ever, let them build fast and mop some of these unemployed youth.

Enugu State House of Assembly has condemned the indiscriminate allocation of land within Independence Layout and the concession of Water Corporation to a private firm.

The lawmakers made the condemnation in the resolution adopted at the Assembly’s plenary in Enugu on Tuesday.

The lawmakers condemned the allocation of the land beside the Assembly to a firm, Park ‘n’ Shop, stressing that no shopping centre was located within the three arms zone anywhere in Nigeria.

“This House resolves to condemn the allocation of parts of Enugu International Conference Centre and the old Eastern Nigeria Industrial Layout, Zik Ave., Uwani, Enugu, to private residents.

“That this House advise the allotees of such land to suspend development of the plots as it is against the public interest of Enugu State people.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/04/enugu-lawmakers-flay-allocation-land-within-independence-layout/

OreMI22:

Judging from Obodo oyibo style, it looks like a mall. I think it will do good even in Independence Layout as long as Keke napep people will agree to drop people there. Most Malls in Obodo oyibo are also in their own secluded piece of land away from the city center and people take public transport or drive to the place to for shopping.Typically, what is available in this mall and the price will determine if they grow in leaps and bounds or not.

If they for instance they sell frozen meat at competitive prices in a large frozen meat section, they will pull a certain type of customers who want to buy meat, fresh fruits, vegetables and few household goods. But if they hope to anchor another shoprite and copy polo park mall verbatim, they have failed already.

i bookmarked Spyder's blog and visit it almost on daily basis to see what's going on. grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2015
Lol grin grin I am still single unlike you cheesy so leave the calls for us wink

spyder880:

Just come in and join, no rituals grin Just beware of these......... except you have some "credit" , then you can make a call grin grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 6:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
omicron:
Very mischievous Order.

All those properties should be returned to the state government as they were stolen from the state and not the federal government.

Enugu state AG should file a suit asap.

This country sef
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

It's indeed a very abnormal order to ask that resources allegedly stolen from Enugu state should be forfeited to the federal government instead of the state it was stolen from? Nigeria is filled with thieves. Imagine someone recovering ill gotten wealth is also at the same time trying to steal the forfeiture from the rightful owners? That is why i don't trust our so called anti-corruption war.

The Enugu attorney general should immediately file for the forfeiture to be given to Enugu state government that the resources were stolen from and not the federal government.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
I think they are repainting our Eiffel tower grin

12 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2015
centje:
If eventually, its a mall I think they would come with a different concept and items, since polo mall has dominated the market. The info I got was that it's park 'n' shop. Which ever, let them build fast and mop some of these unemployed youth.

Enugu State House of Assembly has condemned the indiscriminate allocation of land within Independence Layout and the concession of Water Corporation to a private firm.

The lawmakers made the condemnation in the resolution adopted at the Assembly’s plenary in Enugu on Tuesday.

The lawmakers condemned the allocation of the land beside the Assembly to a firm, Park ‘n’ Shop, stressing that no shopping centre was located within the three arms zone anywhere in Nigeria.

“This House resolves to condemn the allocation of parts of Enugu International Conference Centre and the old Eastern Nigeria Industrial Layout, Zik Ave., Uwani, Enugu, to private residents.

“That this House advise the allotees of such land to suspend development of the plots as it is against the public interest of Enugu State people.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/04/enugu-lawmakers-flay-allocation-land-within-independence-layout/

Without sentiments, a shopping center opposite the fence of the state house of assembly is a very very poor judgement from those that thought up such nonsense idea. Just like awarding the land for the prestigious Intl. Conference center as plots to private persons is sacrilegious. Enugu is one of the few planned cities in Nigeria and every effort must be made to make it remain that way like Abuja.

I hope the state assembly back their words with action and reclaim these lands. These people can always find land along Enugu-Abakaliki road at Emene or Independence layout phase II. Building shops inside the three arms zone is just a silly proposition.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
OreMI22:

Without sentiments, a shopping center opposite the fence of the state house of assembly is a very very poor judgement from those that thought up such nonsense idea. Just like awarding the land for the prestigious Intl. Conference center as plots to private persons is sacrilegious. Enugu is one of the few planned cities in Nigeria and every effort must be made to make it remain that way like Abuja.

I hope the state assembly back their words with action and reclaim these lands. These people can always find land along Enugu-Abakaliki road at Emene or Independence layout phase II. Building shops inside the three arms zone is just a silly proposition.

l shouttd about this, the whole of IMT campus and ESUT old sites has been allocated and buildings completed on them. What is really happening?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:
The FTZ area will be about a 15 sq. km in size. That will be a fantastic new Enugu city!
It already has an International airport and a railway line to the ONNE port for export/Import. Two vital requirements for a FTZ to succeed.

It will be a stunning new opportunity to replicate Abuja style planning in Enugu!

If we can build a road like in the picture below to link Enugu-Abakaliki road at Emene, to the Enugu-Nsukka road at 9th mile. We would have opened a whole new city for development in our lifetime.

spyder880:

l shouttd about this, the whole of IMT campus and ESUT old sites has been allocated and buildings completed on them. What is really happening?

The effort to distort the Enugu city master plan should be resisted vigorously as the plan to distort Abuja master plan was thwarted.

i have said it that the state government must not only demolish those illegal structures, but open more high brow housing areas such as Independence layout phase 2 and the Emene area for new housing by building access roads and electricity poles. It is not enough to stop people from building in illegal places, if you do not provide new legal estates for them to build.

Gov. Ugwuanyi should build access road to open up the linking of Abakaliki road at Emene to the Nsukka road at ninth mile corner called the Enugu Free trade zone(FTZ) road. If that access road link is built, that will open up a massive new area for property developers to build new estates in that area. they can plan that whole area like this layout posted earlier. That will open a huge area for developers.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 11, 2015
Biggest shout out to spyder for always keeping all man updated with latest pictures and developments!! If not for him I don't know what this thread would've been like!
spyder880:
This is the new construction for the airport hotel, today.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by akanuson: 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2015
is this Enugu ?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 11, 2015
Please stop posting pictures that have nothing to do with Enugu city! Please
OreMI22:

The effort to distort the Enugu city master plan should be resisted vigorously as the plan to distort Abuja master plan was thwarted.

i have said it that the state government must not only demolish those illegal structures, but open more high brow housing areas such as Independence layout phase 2 and the Emene area for new housing by building access roads and electricity poles. It is not enough to stop people from building in illegal places, if you do not provide new legal estates for them to build.

Gov. Ugwuanyi should build access road to open up the linking of Abakaliki road at Emene to the Nsukka road at ninth mile corner called the Enugu Free trade zone(FTZ) road. If that access road link is built, that will open up a massive new area for property developers to build new estates in that area. they can plan that whole area like this layout posted earlier. That will open a huge area for developers.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 10:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
ifeanyi199555:
Please stop posting pictures that have nothing to do with Enugu city! Please
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am sure you immediately wanted to copy the picture and post on skyscrapers as usual, but realized at the last minute. Goshhh! grin Thank God you read for once and saw it was an illustration.
Learn to post ONLY your own pictures on skyscrapers. You should stop posting pictures from here onto Skyscrapers claiming the credits that you took those pictures, unless you have Spyder's permission and you know Enugu very well to know the locations where they were taken and you have read the post to know if it were an example of something. Some of you have really embarrassed yourselves by copying blindly without even reading the posting that accompanied the pictures you are copying.You posted a picture someone used here as an example in 2013 and recently the completed roof of Enugu International conference center on skyscraper, not even realizing someone had used it as an illustration because you don't have time to read posts before copying.Thank God you took it down because someone raised the issue. We are here to put forward ideas and sometimes illustrate our ideas by posting a picture in London, USA or Dubai where it was done. We occasionally have debates about open gutters and we post pictures from elsewhere to illustrate how covering the gutter could transform our environment for the better.

You need to go back this thread and see that this isn't a praise singing thread for Enugu, but to explore better ways while showcasing the achievements so far.This is a thread to principally discuss Enugu's development, strategies that can be adopted, where those strategies worked etc, unlike skyscrapers where you are measuring d.ck with Ghanians and South Africans about which country is more beautiful, to no real political substance about how to improve anything. We know government people view this thread, at least during Chime's administration. That is why we are not concerned about singing praises here as if everything is now perfect and government people need not do better.Even though we know Enugu is already better than most places in Nigeria with a fraction of the money available in those states, we are not comparing with those failed states of Nigeria. Enugu focuses on comparing with other world class African and world cities and we are here to support that quest with practicable ideas in consideration of the meagre resources. We are exploring ideas about how to improve our state,southeast nigeria, free trade zones, airport,economy, fruitful political alignments etc.
See the original link here, everyone but you knows i'm reiterating someone else's previous example. https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east/395

12 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
My brother I have never posted anything on skyscraper before o! I get your point sha!
But once I saw the pics I immediately knew it wasn't Enugu! Although I am from Anambra, I fee up in 042 and I'm a true Enugu boy!
OreMI22:
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am sure you immediately wanted to copy the picture and post on skyscrapers but realized at the last minute. Goshhh! grin Thank God you read for once and saw it was an illustration.
Learn to post ONLY your own pictures on skyscrapers. You should stop posting pictures from here onto Skyscrapers unless you know Enugu well or you have read the post to know if it were an example. Some of you have really embarrassed yourselves by copying blindly without even reading the posting that accompanied the pictures you are copying.You posted a picture someone used here as an example in 2013 and recently the completed roof of Enugu International conference center on skyscraper, not even realizing someone had used it as an illustration because you don't have time to read posts before copying.Thank God you took it down because someone raised the issue. We are here to put forward ideas and sometimes illustrate our ideas by posting a picture in London, USA or Dubai where it was done. We occasionally have debates about open gutters and we post pictures from elsewhere to illustrate how covering the gutter could transform our environment for the better.

You need to go back this thread and see that this isn't a praise singing thread for Enugu, but to explore better ways while showcasing the achievements so far.This is a thread to principally discuss Enugu's development, strategies that can be adopted, where those strategies worked etc, unlike skyscrapers where you are measuring d.ck with Ghanians and South Africans about which country is more beautiful, to no real political substance about how to improve anything. We know government people view this thread, at least during Chime's administration. That is why we are not concerned about singing praises here as if everything is now perfect and government people need not do better.Even though we know Enugu is already better than most places in Nigeria with a fraction of the money available in those states, we are not comparing with those failed states of Nigeria. Enugu focuses on comparing with other world class African and world cities and we are here to support that quest with practicable ideas in consideration of the meagre resources. We are exploring [size=17pt] ideas[/size] about how to improve our state,southeast nigeria, free trade zones, airport,economy, fruitful political alignments etc.
See the original link here, everyone but you knows i'm reiterating someone else's previous example. https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east/395
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 11:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
ifeanyi199555:
My brother I have never posted anything on skyscraper before o! I get your point sha!
But once I saw the pics I immediately knew it wasn't Enugu! Although I am from Anambra, I fee up in 042 and I'm a true Enugu boy!

if it wasn't you posting those pictures on skyscraper, i'm sorry.
Ujoinme typically posts the same pictures of Uyo both in NL and skyscrapers because they are his pictures.This dude just roams the internet (especially this thread) just picking pictures and posting in Enugu thread on skyscrapers and he is really an embarrassment.Even someone from London will know better with some of the American pictures he simply copies and posts, not even recognizing what an Enugu picture could look like, while at the same time swearing to all that he actually lives in Enugu and owned the pictures.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
spyder880:

Just come in and join, no rituals grin Just beware of these......... except you have some "credit" , then you can make a call grin grin
Bad guy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:23am On Jul 12, 2015
Ver funny indeed! grin grin grin grin
OreMI22:

if it wasn't you posting those pictures on skyscraper, i'm sorry.
Ujoinme typically posts the same pictures of Uyo both in NL and skyscrapers because they are his pictures.This dude just roams the internet (especially this thread) just picking pictures and posting in Enugu thread on skyscrapers and he is really an embarrassment.Even someone from London will know better with some of the American pictures he simply copies and posts, not even recognizing what an Enugu picture could look like, while at the same time swearing to all that he actually lives in Enugu and owned the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 10:28am On Jul 12, 2015
spyder880:

Let them keep sharing. One day, there will be no land to be shared. I was think that by now the government would have come up with a master plan for Enugu City, so that we all know where is which. No, everybody comes up, shares public properties to individuals who pay next to nothing on them.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 5:32pm On Jul 12, 2015
centje:
The issue is, will it be a mega hotel with high class services or the usual 'bungalow' hotel we see around.

You are 1000% correct bro.

I wish our business people will graduate and start building world class hotels to attract tourists and not just chalets with rentable rooms called hotels. Grand Hotel Asaba initially started well, then suddenly relapsed into the usual room business focus of our hotel system.

A modern hotel should be a fun place not just simply a room to let and sleep in at night, the way we envisage what a hotel should be in Nigeria. A good hotel alone with world class facilities is enough to attract tourists into Enugu to holiday than all the local festivals, caves,waterfall we are so keen to advertise or market. That does not mean those caves or festivals are not important to develop, but the average regular tourist simply wants a good holiday vacation and not really the anthropology adventure of exploring medieval caves etc.That is why Cape Town SA leads the rest of Africa in attracting tourists, yet it has no festivals or carnivals, but great hotels!

Imagine this picture below is a hotel in a small town of montego bay Jamaica! Notice how they planted coconut trees all over the pool area to give it a tropical paradise feel.
Paradoxically, we Igbos living in the tropical Africa cannot do anything close to the standard of this hotel because we concentrate too much on the chalets/rooms part of the hotel. The hotel this picture was taken cost only $150 million dollars to build the entire place! Most of our shoddy hotels cost twice that price to build. Arthur Eze can build a hotel of this standard and with pool area, coconut trees like in the picture only if he gets the advise from well exposed architects. Such architects in our clime are very scarce in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
Cjrane2:

I wish our business people will graduate and start building world class hotels to attract tourists and not just chalets with rentable rooms called hotels. Grand Hotel Asaba initially started well, then suddenly relapsed into the usual room business focus of our hotel system.
A modern hotel should be a fun place not just a room to let and sleep in at night, the way we envisage what a hotel should be in Nigeria. A good hotel alone with world class facilities is enough to attract tourists to Enugu than all the local festivals, caves,waterfall we are keen to advertise or market. That does not mean those caves or festivals are not important to develop, but the average regular tourist simply wants a good holiday vacation and not really the anthropology adventure of exploring medieval caves etc.That is why Cape Town SA leads the rest of Africa in attracting tourists, yet it has no festivals or carnivals, but great hotels!

Imagine this picture below is a hotel in a small town of montego bay Jamaica! Notice how they planted coconut trees all over the pool area to give it a tropical paradise feel.
Paradoxically, we Igbos living in the tropical Africa cannot do anything close to the standard of this hotel because we concentrate too much on the chalets/rooms part of the hotel. The hotel this picture was taken cost only $150 million dollars to build the entire place! Most of our shoddy hotels cost twice that price to build. Arthur Eze can build a hotel of this standard and with pool area, coconut trees like in the picture only if he gets the advise from well exposed architects. Such architects in our clime are very scarce in Nigeria.
150m dollars is 30bn plus..i doubt any hotel in east cost up 5 billon to build let alone double that of 150m dollars..I doubt foreigners would leave their country with soul aim to visit hotels in another country unless there is something unic in that hotel and even if it is that there has to be other sightseeing spectacles otherwise I guarantee you that patronage of foreigners would still be low...forget festivities but things like exploratory caves,unic natural endowments,wild lifes,weather and historical sites are the greatest tourist pullers...great hotels are more of ancillary items

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
asha80:
150m dollars is 30bn plus..i doubt any hotel in east cost up 5 billon to build let alone double that of 150m dollars..I doubt foreigners would leave their country with soul aim to visit hotels in another country unless there is something unic in that hotel and even if it is that there has to be other sightseeing spectacles otherwise I guarantee you that patronage of foreigners would still be low...forget festivities but things like exploratory caves,unic natural endowments,wild lifes,weather and historical sites are the greatest tourist pullers...great hotels are more of ancillary items

Perhaps not building as massive as the 450 rooms Montego bay hotel. My point is that even building an 80 room hotel, but incorporating the highest standards around the world in a smaller scale.
For example, I particularly love Chime and Godswill Akpabio because they believe in quality not quantity.

When Akpabio builds a stadium, hospital or library he strives to meet international standard in each category.Not just because his state is oil producing, because we have seen the standard of similar projects in Rivers and Delta which are also oil producing. That is precisely what i'm saying here. Try to build one which meets world standard than 300 which are all low grade stuff.

Back to the hotel thing, Two great hotels have sprung up in Akwa Ibom since 2011.
1.The Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort cost about $95 million dollars http://www.lemeridienibom.com/
2.The newly completed Four points Sheraton at Ikot Ekpene are standard hotels. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1718454&page=4
Now, since 2011, many other "hotels" have equally been built in Bauchi, Gombe, Ibadan, Owerri etc which nobody knows about because they have one thing in common-Third world hotels standard. As a billionaire already, Arthur Eze now needs iconic investments to his name. If he can afford $100 million dollars, let him invest it in this hotel and make it iconic. I believe he should strive to at the minimum replicate the standard of the Ikot Ekpene Four points by sheraton in this new Enugu Intl. airport hotel. Anything less will be disappointing.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kettykin: 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2015
I think all enugu needs to draw people to the city is to get a section of the city to be at par with Europe in beauty and aesthetic finishing, say independent layout and 2 other adjoining areas, have 3 very good tastefully finished hotels for foreign visitors with recreational facilities, superb night life, have an artificial beach with blue lake ( the importance cannot be over emphasised) quality golf course and game centre, reduce crime rate to 0% in those areas then go all out to the world to market the city as a tourist destination ,host sporting events like marathon races in conjunction with sponsoring companies, promote the city as Nollywood movie shooting city, create 2 or 3 very cool theme parks with private investors managing, invest in the football industry by repackaging rangers football club and promote friendlies with European clubs that would be beamed to the world.
Go into partnership with travelling agencies like wakanow to organise holiday packages for tourists in Europe, America Africa etc. Do documentaries on the city and it's tourist attractions. Promote eastern cuisine for visitors with side attractions like wine villa for wine tasting etc.
This will bring tourist ,investment and businesses and the government can recoup their investment through tax returns of companies, income taxes of people working in the city, investments of companies etc

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ZeroTolerance: 8:02pm On Jul 12, 2015
Make money and build the hotel of your choice. How do you guys feel discussing things that are meant to be done by mere mortals and private individuals like you?

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
Cjrane2, that money much o cheesy I doubt anyone can sink such in hotel, in Enugu at the moment. But we can still do a great design at lower cost.
I may be wrong tho' because most people thought polo mall wouldn't survive but here we are witnessing malls spring up at every corner in Enugu.

I am both surprised and happy with the way people are heavily investing in Enugu, especially in residential homes, medium scale businesses and industry. Whatever Chime did is seriously working, I thought it will take years to reap the benefits of his government's works and policies, I forsee greater benefits in future.

I just saw a billboard with render of proposed National metrology institute around PRODA area, Emene industrial layout.

Tuesday, 12 May 2015
Nigeria to establish national metrology institute with UNIDO’s assistance

ENUGU, Nigeria, 12 May 2015 – A ground-breaking ceremony held today in the Enugu State of Nigeria marked the beginning of the construction of the country’s first of a kind national metrology institute, which will help enhance the metrology infrastructure system and assure the accurate calibration of instruments.

The institute is part of the EU-funded “National quality infrastructure” project that the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is implementing in Nigeria in cooperation with the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, and the Standards Organization of Nigeria.

“The national metrology institute is one of the quality control bodies required to house the national primary standards and to regulate the operation of enterprises, so that the measurement systems used for commerce are not subject to abuse and exploitation. Once completed, it will provide services for all national economic sectors as well as those in the ECOWAS region,” said Chuma Ezedinma, Officer in Charge at the UNIDO Regional Office in Nigeria.

He urged the Government of Nigeria to take strategic steps to support the institute in obtaining international recognition.

The institute will cover over 61, 000 square meters and is scheduled to be completed in 2016.

http://www.unido.org/news/press/nigeria-to-establish.html

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 9:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
I thought someone would raise this issue over the years but none so far. I know it will become an issue sooner than later under Buhari Presidency as people look for the slightest safety concern to deny other regions an Intl. airport. Anyhow, its good to keep our facilities safe and sound.
So, with the Enugu International expected to grow in time. I was just wondering if it is time to relocate these innocent folks living at the tip of the runway for their own safety? Besides, NCAA might cite this as a reason for deeming the airport unsafe, they way they did to Asaba airport, if that village or slum continue to grow with attendant cooking smoke etc coming out from the location which might obscure pilot's visibility just at the point of touch down on runway 26. The state govt. should act proactively and relocate the folks so close to the foot of the runway before NCAA drops the hammer and disrupts operations at the airport for weeks or months over something the govt. could so easily quietly take care of.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by waternopassgari: 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2015
OreMI22:
I thought someone would raise this issue over the years but none so far. I know it will become an issue sooner than later under Buhari Presidency as people look for the slightest safety concern to deny other regions an Intl. airport. Anyhow, its good to keep our facilities safe and sound.
So, with the Enugu International expected to grow in time. I was just wondering if it is time to relocate these innocent folks living at the tip of the runway for their own safety? Besides, NCAA might cite this as a reason for deeming the airport unsafe, they way they did to Asaba airport, if that village or slum continue to grow with attendant cooking smoke etc coming out from the location which might obscure pilot's visibility just at the point of touch down on runway 26. The state govt. should act proactively and relocate the folks so close to the foot of the runway before NCAA drops the hammer and disrupts operations at the airport for weeks or months over something the govt. could so easily quietly take care of.

That is common sense. All the residential Area in and around the run way must be relocated ASAP with urgency for health and safety reason. They should not be within site and sight

Give them the same land mass for free in another location plus build modern housing to compensate them.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by waternopassgari: 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2015
OreMI22:

The free trade zone will need some kind of dry land port like has been approved for Kaduna. It should be built with accesss to rail line for railway container transport.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by waternopassgari: 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
Cjrane2:

A modern hotel should be a fun place not just simply a room to let and sleep in at night, the way we envisage what a hotel should be in Nigeria. A good hotel alone with world class facilities is enough to attract tourists into Enugu to holiday than all the local festivals, caves,waterfall we are so keen to advertise or market. That does not mean those caves or festivals are not important to develop, but the average regular tourist simply wants a good holiday vacation and not really the anthropology adventure of exploring medieval caves etc.That is why Cape Town SA leads the rest of Africa in attracting tourists, yet it has no festivals or carnivals, but great hotels!

Our people are still learning how to build and add value to property. That picture is just the pool aea economy only with pool side recreation non achololic bar.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2015
OreMI22:

^^^This is why i reckon Princess Stella is miles better than Osita Chidoka! Instead of him to have used the time he was minister to properly reposition AIIA for growth as an international airport, he was busy blowing grammar and carrying 'one Nigeria' for head like persin wey dey hawk groundnut!

I've noticed most of our political elite from the South East and South South tend to act this way while others use any opportunity they have to grab and locate everything to their region and favour their kinsfolk over others! GEJ is another example of the type of elite we produce.....too scared and wanting to act all fair and shi't!

Goodluck to any brother who thinks that under a Buhari presidency AIIA will get the necessary assistance and all it needs to be established and progress as a new international airport!

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2015
waternopassgari:

The free trade zone will need some kind of dry land port like has been approved for Kaduna. It should be built with accesss to rail line for railway container transport.

Correct!
I'm not sure, but i believe an Inland container port was approved for Enugu & Aba during Obasanjo 2nd term days when the hassle to upgrade Enugu airport for Intl. access was still ongoing.. In any case, if the state government seriously work towards establishing a functional FTZ, it will be easier to lobby the FG to cite an inland container port with a functional FTZ facility than arguing for a container port, when no effort whatsoever is made to develop the FTZ that had been approved.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^This is why i reckon Princess Stella is miles better than Osita Chidoka! Instead of him to have used the time he was minister to properly reposition AIIA for growth as an international airport, he was busy blowing grammar and carrying 'one Nigeria' for head like persin wey dey hawk groundnut!

I've noticed most of our political elite from the South East and South South tend to act this way while others use any opportunity they have to grab and locate everything to their region and favour kinsfolk over others! GEJ is another example of the type of elite we produce.....to scared and wanting to act all fair and shi't!

Goodluck to any brother who thinks that under a Buhari presidency AIIA will get the necessary assistance and all it needs to be established and progress as a new international airport!

The Osita Chidoka guy or whatever he calls himself is a useless efulefu.
I never had any faith in him. he was totally confused and wanted to dedicate his time on how to chop without ruffling the feathers of yourbas in aviation ministry , than improving anything at all.

Precisely why i applaud Anambra North people for voting a proven fighter as Stella Oduah to represent them in the Senate.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.