Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (419) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1782410 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 8:42am On Sep 12, 2015
BuddahMonk:

I normally see anybody that claims Ikwerre as Igbos as stuupid person, what has Ikwerre got to offer to the Igbo nation.
I have only met one in my life and I detest having anything to do with them.

I would have loved your response if not that you used hate word. I've long concluded that it is best for Igbos to restrict whom they see as brothers to only Southeast + Aniocha and Oshimili in Delta State. The rest will rather see themselves as Senegalese than to be Igbo. Forget them my brothers.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:55am On Sep 12, 2015
BuddahMonk:

I normally see anybody that claims Ikwerre as Igbos as stuupid person, what has Ikwerre got to offer to the Igbo nation.
I have only met one in my life and I detest having anything to do with them.
Ths is one of the bane of the Igbo nation. I have nothing against Ikwerre peeps. It' just the denial is overwhelming and as such we should let them be. Let's develop the area known as the South-East and also keep an open arm to anyone who wants to join. But we shouldn't go out of our way to try to force an identity on other people. It hampers our progress. I feel the same way about Anioma. Not just because of Ika and Ukwuani areas who mostly disclaim their Igboness but due to the fact that even the Aniocha/Oshimili people are in a state where there are non Igbos, so it will be difficult to embark on a regional integration that involves Delta state.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 9:10am On Sep 12, 2015
There's no gain saying that Enugu is now a hub for residential estates. It's no surprising as a lot Igbos who live all over Nigeria and the world have found Enugu as their home due to it's status as the defacto capital of Eastern Nigeria and Igboland. I think we need to start looking at creating world class business and industrial districts that will put Enugu in a competitive level with cities all over Africa and the world. That's the only area that i think Enugu is lacking.

17 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 11:39am On Sep 12, 2015
The economy is currently being seriously Mismanaged. It could flash red any momeny from now. How do we ensure that the whole igboland and ally states are shielded from the impending disaster? I HATE FIRE BRIGADE APPROACH WITH PASSION. I CAN'T EVEN STAND PEOPLE WITH THE ATTITUDE.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MrEverest(m): 12:42pm On Sep 12, 2015
biafrandream:

I have always been of the opinion that it's counter-productive trying to force an identify on someone.

'Every man has got a right to decide his own destiny', say Bob Marley. I can decide not to identify as an Igbo and so are Ikwerres. When you try to force an adult to identify with something he doesn't like, he is likely to resist it even to death, even when such identity will favour him. The key word is coercion!

Let's leave Ikwerres to decide who they are, and only time will tell who really belongs where. Make Igboland what it ought to be, stop developing non core Igbo States, I bet the Ikwerres and their likes will oneday somersault and start claiming Igbos.

One of the problems I have with Nnamdi Kanu is calling Efiks and Ibibios, Igbo people. Yet he will deny that Igbos have any ancestral link with the Yorubas even when some Igbo words and syllables have some semblance to the Yorubas.

Nobody has the prerogative to assign heritage to anyone. We all know our history, we tell history but it should stop at that.

If anyone for whatever reason known to him decides he doesn't belong to any tribe, I think their decision should be respected. I do not like the idea of constantly reminding an adult that he who he says he is not.

Psychologically, people tend to rebuff cheap and unsolicited friendly advances. If a beautiful educated girl walks up to a guy and tells him she loves him; it's natural for the guy to feel too important even when he is a nobody, and also perceive the girl as cheap.

As long as we Igbos persistently remind the Ikwerres and Aniomas that they are Igbos, a handful of them will continue to feel too important and rebuff our friendly advances.

As you just pointed out, the Ikwerres have nothing that other Igbos don't have. There's absolutely nothing they can offer Igbos.

However, I feel it's not right to force identity on people. Personally, I don't do that.
You are probably a psychologist, judging from the way you analyzed the situation. All you said is the absolute truth. They are free to call themselves Ikwerre, kalabari, Ijaw or whatever they like, I believe we should just let them be and forget they exist!!! The more we embrace and call them brother, the more they have this larger than life impression of importance even when the reality on ground does not support such fallacy. About what you said on Nnamdi Kalu calling Ibibios and Efiks brothers, I think probably stems from the fact that since history till date, they have always remained our most trusted ally, again if eventually Nigeria breaks up, its most likely they would be the first to want to join Biafra. I, personally as an Igbo-man would be far more comfortable to invest in Akwa Ibom or Cross river rather than Rivers state. Anytime I look at P.harcourt, I only feel pity at its situation viz-a-viz at what it should have been if Igbos world-wide pulled resources together in developing it without discrimination the same way we invested in Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Onitsha etcundecided undecided P.Harcourt is like a still-born baby, with all its potential as the oil and gas capital of Nigeria, it still has this "slum dog millionaire outlook" Over 80% of inhabitants live in sub-human shanties. The oil money circulates within oil workers, contractors, politicians and expatriates while the majority live in penury. Uyo of yesterday now boasts of better infrastructure than P.Harcourt that has been in existence since 1910, what a shame grin grin Today oil is gradually becoming worthless and with the lifting of embargo against Iran, the future really looks bleak for oil dependent regions. I am happy to say that of all the six Geo-political zones in Nigeria, the S.east and Lagos state will be the least affected.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Igbonazy: 1:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
You guys dont seem to get it, i dont give a damn what ikwerre says they are or are not even if they go to war to reject being called igbo its complete rubbish and doesnt change a thing or what they are - Rivers igbo.
Ikwerre sounds very close to other eastern languages,they will be categorized as igbo by those who study languages or something like that even if they are from Mars, there is ABSOLUTLY nothing they can do about it except they greatly alter their language from sounding like other eastern languages.

No one is Really igbo in Eastern Nigeria... Now listen carefully, doo nti gi aka: The name IGBO is used in describing tribes with very similar languages just like biologists use Primate to describe Animals with similar features (like monkey,gorilla,chimpanzee,human etc). If you go to jupiter now and find animals that share thesame feature with earth Monkeys, baboons, gorrilla,human etc you will call them PRIMATE likewise if you go to Jamaica and find a tribe that speaks something close to what ikwerre,anambra or nsukka man speaks,that tribe AUTHOMATICALLY get grouped as IGBO. Nobody is really born Igbo in Eastern Nigeria,it's just collection of tribes that speak very similar languages. IGBO is just a " Collective term" for languages that are very similar.
I am an Nsukka man,Abiriba or Abatete man not really an igboman,what makes them call me an igboman is the similarity my nsukka language for example shares with owerri or other Southeastern languages...
NSUKKA man says <papa gu ne eku gi>(your father is calling you) OWERRI man says <papa gu la apko gi>
the only difference is the EKU and AKPO.This many similarity is why both nsukka and owerri are group under the igbo nation.
Owerri for example can easily quit the igbo Union but can never quit being igbo because the Igbo grouping is like a formula that can never be altered. Nobody i repeat No igbo can wakeup one day and decide not to be igbo.

We are all novice in this field and are driven by our emotion. Let's leave the argument for the professional and move on.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Igbonazy: 2:02pm On Sep 12, 2015
The list of Igboland remains unchanged and will NEVER change:

*Igweocha(oyibo name: portharcourt)
*Enugu
*Nsukka
*Nnewi
*Akwa
*Asaba etc

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 2:51pm On Sep 12, 2015
Igbonazy:

*Enugu
*Nsukka
*Nnewi
*Akwa
*Asaba etc

Please what part of igboland is Akwa?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2015
Afam4eva:
There's no gain saying that Enugu is now a hub for residential estates. It's no surprising as a lot Igbos who live all over Nigeria and the world have found Enugu as their home due to it's status as the defacto capital of Eastern Nigeria and Igboland. I think we need to start looking at creating world class business and industrial districts that will put Enugu in a competitive level with cities all over Africa and the world. That's the only area that i think Enugu is lacking.

Yes much is not happening in industrial Enugu, real estate could be the highest contributor to Enugu GDP I stand to be corrected as well.

AVOP need to be revive to put check to Okomu oil dominating the palm oil market currently, fruit juice company need to set up for the pineapple plantation that is going on in Enugu.

Enugu is in the center of food producing areas of Nigeria, Benue, Ebonyi and Kogi State are very closer to Enugu so the need for evacuation of farm produce wouldn't take that long to do.

Enugu need to be processing those foods being grown around her and sell to those place around her like Abia, Anambra, Imo, Rivers and Delta State.

Food processing will be very lucrative in Enugu because of proximity to source of raw materials and markets aswell.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 4:06pm On Sep 12, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Yes much is not happening in industrial Enugu, real estate could be the highest contributor to Enugu GDP I stand to be corrected as well.

AVOP need to be revive to put check to Okomu oil dominating the palm oil market currently, fruit juice company need to set up for the pineapple plantation that is going on in Enugu.

Enugu is in the center of food producing areas of Nigeria, Benue, Ebonyi and Kogi State are very closer to Enugu so the need for evacuation of farm produce wouldn't take that long to do.

Enugu need to be processing those foods being grown around her and sell to those place around her like Abia, Anambra, Imo, Rivers and Delta State.

Food processing will be very lucrative in Enugu because of proximity to source of raw materials and markets aswell.

Wooing PRIVATE INVESTORS to establish companies at Emene Industrial layout by creating tax incentives and tarring access roads into the industrial estates as well as making land acquisition easier is the best way to industrialize Enugu.

AVOP was established the same time as Life vegetable oil, AVOP is since bankrupt while life is still making profit because it is a PRIVATE company. AVOP should be sold out-rightly to private investors. The more government wastes funds rehabilitating industries it is not in any shape to run, the worst we are repeating the same mistakes of the past which we should have learnt from by now.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AnambraDota: 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2015
Cjrane2:

Wooing PRIVATE INVESTORS to establish companies at Emene Industrial layout by creating tax incentives and tarring access roads into the industrial estates as well as making land acquisition easier is the best way to industrialize Enugu.

AVOP was established the same time as Life vegetable oil, AVOP is since bankrupt while life is still making profit because it is a PRIVATE company. AVOP should be sold out-rightly to private investors. The more government wastes funds rehabilitating industries it is not in any shape to run, the worst we are repeating the same mistakes of the past which we should have learnt from by now.

Yes many moribund companies need to be sold while government should retain percent of shares in the company.

If Enugu abi Eastern Nigeria should retain 30% stake in all the moribund coys that litter Enugu that will be very good.

Am not asking for government to revive it but to shop for investors aggressively to buy them up no matter the cost.

I have been to Emene but once, the day I was there I was impress with many companies I saw.
Now Leventis has completed its plant in Ibadan but we are yet to know what ANAMMCO is doing currently, no media coverage, no tangible products.
Unless if Emene has detoriated but I don't see any need again for government investing heavily in that place because the roads where good when I visited there.

Another poser is why do we Igbos request heaven and earth from our government to set up a business in Igboland but when we go abroad we water deserts and sandfill Oceans without government help to establish businesses.

Ask an Igbo in Kano or Ilorin to establish company in East he will start asking you for seaport or airport whereas in Kano there is no seaport.

Atiku kept everything at Adamawa State, university, colleges, farms, feedmill, et al but ours will relocate to Lagos or Abuja to site theirs

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AnambraDota: 8:00pm On Sep 12, 2015
I was in Asaba last month, this is the moribund companies I could remember seeing, calculate them with number of jobs lost and opportunities missed.

Asaba Textile.

Asaba steel.

SIO Agrosack.

Asaba Aluminum.

Many I can't recollect now

What we have now in Asaba as the biggest contributor to GDP are hotels and guest houses, real estate and trading.

We need to revive this companies by looking for private investors and tell them to take over while paying installmentaly, it will be wholly private sector driven with minimum government oversight monitoring.

I think its high time Ndigbo established a Chamber of Commerce that will monitoring commercial activities in Igboland.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2015
AnambraDota:

Yes many moribund companies need to be sold while government should retain percent of shares in the company.

If Enugu abi Eastern Nigeria should retain 30% stake in all the moribund coys that litter Enugu that will be very good.

Am not asking for government to revive it but to shop for investors aggressively to buy them up no matter the cost.

I have been to Emene but once, the day I was there I was impress with many companies I saw.
Now Leventis has completed its plant in Ibadan but we are yet to know what ANAMMCO is doing currently, no media coverage, no tangible products.
Unless if Emene has detoriated but I don't see any need again for government investing heavily in that place because the roads where good when I visited there.

Another poser is why do we Igbos request heaven and earth from our government to set up a business in Igboland but when we go abroad we water deserts and sandfill Oceans without government help to establish businesses.

Ask an Igbo in Kano or Ilorin to establish company in East he will start asking you for seaport or airport whereas in Kano there is no seaport.

Atiku kept everything at Adamawa State, university, colleges, farms, feedmill, et al but ours will relocate to Lagos or Abuja to site theirs
guy it seems you are behind when it comes to news
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/172143-anamco-restarts-operations-assembles-trucks.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/abc-subsidiary-firm-roll-locally-assembled-trucks/

This happened last yr while the truck they produce now I shaqman

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AnambraDota: 8:10pm On Sep 12, 2015
Though Igboland is not the only place that witnessed mass closures of manufacturing outfits in Nigeria, many other states incurred it as well, let list the death textile mills in Nigeria.

UTC, Ikeja is death.

Asaba textile.

GCM Onitsha.

Arewa textile.

Aba textile.

Last month I was watching CNN and I saw where Kano dye pit merchants were protesting over lack of patronage and death of the famed industry because of influx of low cost Chinese fabrics, they said during the heydays that Kano dye pits were close to 3000 working but now less than 150 is working.
The whole place look dejected and showed signs of business activities gone bad.

www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/05/kano-residents-protest-presence-of-chinese-textiles-in-their-market/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 12, 2015
Enugu is an overrated camp you called city! Jeez! angry cry
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AnambraDota: 8:19pm On Sep 12, 2015
asha80:
guy it seems you are behind when it comes to news
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/172143-anamco-restarts-operations-assembles-trucks.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/abc-subsidiary-firm-roll-locally-assembled-trucks/

This happened last yr while the truck they produce now I shaqman

Thanks so much for the info, am glad its happening.

I must not be versatile about the media coverage and PremiumTimes and SaharaReporters are the last website I will open with my MB and read their thrash.

They would have reported to the mainstream media houses now, even the company have no website to start with. No advert yet both in newspapers, radios, TVs, internet or billboards...they are not communicating

When I saw media coverage they need to be not just being reported by newsmedia houses but on social networks like facebook and twitter.

We need all these things, great things are happening down East bu many don't know, even those in East rely on Lagos media to feed them.

We need it

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 8:28pm On Sep 12, 2015
AnambraDota:

Thanks so much for the info, am glad its happening.

I must not be versatile about the media coverage and PremiumTimes and SaharaReporters are the last website I will open with my MB and read their thrash.

They would have reported to the mainstream media houses now, even the company have no website to start with. No advert yet both in newspapers, radios, TVs, internet or billboards...they are not communicating

When I saw media coverage they need to be not just being reported by newsmedia houses but on social networks like facebook and twitter.

We need all these things, great things are happening down East bu many don't know, even those in East rely on Lagos media to feed them.

We need it
many media reported it ..dont know about their website...http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=7330

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/anammco-abc-assemble-chinese-trucks-in-enugu/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christmalachy(m): 8:46pm On Sep 12, 2015
government need to start building international market and shopping malls in Enugu just like other eastern states...

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2015
all4naija:
Enugu is an overrated camp you called city! Jeez! angry cry

I think you have mental issues, i really do. It might help to visit a psychiatrist/psychologist.
Cheers

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
Unemadu:

I think you have mental issues, i really do. It might help to visit a psychiatrist/psychologist.
Cheers
What an excuse you got there. I don't have any mental problem. You just hate to hear the truth. Enugu is a f**king camp!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
Latest real estate developments from Golf estates, near New market, Enugu.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:15pm On Sep 13, 2015
More magnificent edifices.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Sep 13, 2015
More.....

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
Enugu is turning into something else, if only we can get industrial developement to grow as fast as residential building here, am sure even the Germans will be coming to learn work here cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:18am On Sep 14, 2015
Hahn Air System is a German owned aircraft most likely leased to Med View Airline.
biafrandream:
So a new airline called Hahn Airlines System is operating Enugu-Lagos route and nobody has said anything about it.

Please what is the airline like?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by achi4u(m): 10:26am On Sep 15, 2015
Enugu/Igboland is growing everyday despite the economic hardship of this country, our little known secret is waking up every morning and remembering that we have nobody, no govt or politicians to help us but our selves.
That is IGBO man mentality immediately he steps out of his village to pursue his dreams.

May God help Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi not to draw the hands of clock back.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofodirinwa: 10:29am On Sep 15, 2015
agree. The future is in making our dreams possible without leaving the village so that every village becomes a township and every township a city or the highest standard.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 10:33am On Sep 15, 2015
achi4u:
Enugu/Igboland is growing everyday despite the economic hardship of this country, our little known secret is waking up every morning and remembering that we have nobody, no govt or politicians to help us but our selves.
That is IGBO man mentality immediately he steps out of his village to pursue his dreams.

May God help Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi not to draw the hands of clock back.

^^^This is my prayer as well! He needs to do more than our Sullivan did.....no ifs or buts will be accepted!

Not so confident about Imo and Abia at this point in time! Ebonyi?.....Nobody really knows what's going on there one way or the other! undecided

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by achi4u(m): 10:39am On Sep 15, 2015
Igbonazy:

*Enugu
*Nsukka
*Nnewi
*Akwa
*Asaba etc
What you are saying is the home truth but if your brothers keeps denying you, keeps distancing themselves and can join other forces to track you down, what else will you do other than to shove them aside and keep moving forward.
You rather replace P.H with Abakaliki which most of hardly mention when discussing IGBO cities or town.

But if you choose to throw us out from S.East which we found ourselves...no problem.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 10:39am On Sep 15, 2015
The only difference between these estates and ones abroad is the internal roads!

This shows the stark difference between individual effort (which i give 100%) and gov't effort (which i give 50%)! Individuals are playing their part, but then gov't comes along and provides substandard internal roads with open gutters, uneven sides, no sidewalks and no street lights!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 10:51am On Sep 15, 2015
achi4u:

What you are saying is the home truth but if your brothers keeps denying you, keeps distancing themselves and can join other forces to track you down, what else will you do other than to shove them aside and keep moving forward.
You rather replace P.H with Abakaliki which most of hardly mention when discussing IGBO cities or town.

But if you choose to throw us out from S.East which we found ourselves...no problem.
wonder why you took those places he wrote personal...he added etc np be so? Did you see owerri umuahia or even aba there?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 15, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.