Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,426 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Money Is Not Our Problem, But How To Spend It - Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Money Is Not Our Problem, But How To Spend It - Gowon (7279 Views)

$2.1 Billion Arms Money Is Biggest Propaganda Of 2015 / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / I Made $500m From Oil Block, But Didn’t Know How To Spend It — Danjuma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Money Is Not Our Problem, But How To Spend It - Gowon by BizBooks(m): 1:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
Money is not our problem, but how to spend it. This statement was made by Gen Yakubu
Gowon in 1973 during his tenure as head of state. At that time, Nigeria was awash with oil
money. On first read, that statement sounds naive if not reckless. But on a closer look, one
can clearly see that it was true in the 70s when Gowon made it and even more so today.

In fact, since the discovery of oil, money has never been Nigeria's problem. The problem
lies in how it is spent or squandered as some will say. For instance, the money Nigeria
spends to run her so-called democracy is mind-boggling. Billions of Naira are funneled
each month to local councils and governments, senatorial districts, states etc with little
or nothing to show for it.

If just half of this money is spent judiciously, Nigeria will be in a far better place today.
But as a result of massive corruption and ineptitude, we are where we are. At this
point, you the reader may feel the need to ask me "What is your solution?". The truth is
that I have none. Corruption is so entrenched in the fabric of the Nigerian society that no
progress can be made under it's dominance. The best I can do is point out the differences
I have noticed between Nigerian and Western democracies with the US as a case in point:

1. In Western countries like the US, elections are largely financed by the public. If you
are running for election in the US, it will be financed by individuals and organizations
that support your candidacy through donations in cash and manpower. Even if you are
wealthy, that will usually be the case. For instance, Mitt Romney, the Republican candidate
in the upcoming US presidential elections is reported to have a net worth of about 200 Million
Dollars. But his candidacy is being financed by individuals and groups in the Republican
Party. In contrast, elections in Nigeria are largely financed by candidates with their own
personal resources or with the help of wealthy "god fathers". If such a candidate wins an
election, his primary duty may be to recover the money spent by him or his godfather. In
most cases, the amount involved is not small.

2. In the US, politicians get rich after they leave office not while they are in office.
The reason for that is simple and logical. While you are in office in the US, several
companies will be coming to you for assistance in securing contracts or passing laws. Once
you leave office, many of these same companies will eagerly hire you as a full time staff or
consultant. In that position, you will further help them get access to your former colleagues
in government. That is why the board of several to US companies are filled with retired and
defeated politicians.

3. In the US, the act of governance is divided into small, manageable parts. For instance,
if you discover a pot hole on your street, you do not call or wait for your state governor
or Senator. Rather, you call your Mayor or councilman. In most cases, they are able to
resolve such problems swiftly. Contrast that with the situation in Nigeria where most
people do not know their councilman. Even if they do, it may not make much difference.

P.S: In case you are wondering whether Gowon actually said "Money is not our problem but
how to spend it", he has admitted saying so. Below is a portion of an interview he granted to a
journalist in 2005:

Journalist: Did you really say so?

Gowon: All right, I said so. But come along; it was merely in a manner of speaking!

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/achebe-foundation/the-chinua-achebe-foundation-interviews-15-general-yakubu-gowon.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Is Not Our Problem, But How To Spend It - Gowon by Alamutatalo: 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2012
Nigerian democracy as it is cannot be sustained.The cost of running government is so high one wonders if political office holders and government appointees are expatriates.What value do most of this office holders add?The honorable representing my constituency can conveniently pay my salary for the next 30 years at my present grade from his allowances for one year.
Re: Money Is Not Our Problem, But How To Spend It - Gowon by BizBooks(m): 6:27pm On Jul 02, 2012
Alamutatalo: Nigerian democracy as it is cannot be sustained.The cost of running government is so high one wonders if political office holders and government appointees are expatriates...

You are right. The cost of running our government at local, state and national levels is
extremely high. To make matters worse, we have nothing to show for it.

(1) (Reply)

I'll Perform Better In 2013 - Jonathan / No Intelligence Report That Chibok Girls Are In Sambisa Forest - Air Force / Detractors Are Out To Destabilise Peace, Tranquility In Enugu – Nwodo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.