Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative (23981 Views)

11 Year Old South African Asanda Jezile Going Through To The Finals! BGT! / South African Tv To Show 24 Hours Adult Channels / South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by lagbaja(m): 9:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
Recently there was a new pay TV launch in Nigeria called Gotv. GOtv is owned by Multichoice, the owners of the almost monopolistic DSTV. This new product is created to "kill" StarTV same way they killed HITV, a fully indigenous payTV company. StarTv had since inception started a price war, which had helped to bring down the cost of payTV subscription, Multichpoice doesnt feel happy about this, having been used to carting away huge ROIs in the past years without any challenge. Multichoice's only way of guaranteeing a continuous flow of the "crazy" return is to kill any semblance of competition.

The GOtv introduction goes to further prove why the federal government of Nigeria and the National Assembly urgently needs to do something about introduction of an anti-trust law to check the unhealthy business practises of South Africans (and any other countries) in Nigeria and protect Nigerian consumers from this draculian South African capitalists who are not interested or committed in any way to long term development of our economy. It may surprise you to know that MTN owns no property in Nigeria, most are leased, meaning they can walk away with their investment at will.

Until the entry of Glo during the early days of the GSM introduction, MTN (another South African company) made us believe that it was impossible to do per second billing. MTN today, still smiles back to its south African bank with huge foreign exchange having made the kind of profits no one could imagine in other parts of the world in spite of very poor services. No thanks to their unfair competitive advantages.

Let us protect what is ours, let us know our true friends and the pretenders. Its time for Anti-trust law in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by gbogboti: 10:28pm On Jul 04, 2012
You very right bro. As at today, STARTIMES forced their decoder price to N4000 with 1 Month subscription. South Africans are bet on killing any communications stuffs or company that is indigenous in collaboration with our people.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 05, 2012
gbogboti: You very right bro. As at today, STARTIMES forced their decoder price to N4000 with 1 Month subscription. South Africans are bet on killing any communications stuffs or company that is indigenous in collaboration with our people.
is it their fault that we have fools among us? 'eni to ri ese were tio bu.....?'

2 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by RichDad1(m): 7:05am On Jul 05, 2012
Startimes is not a Nigerian company either.so let the competition begins cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by honeric01(m): 9:00am On Jul 05, 2012
Rich Dad: Startimes is not a Nigerian company either.so let the competition begins cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Where are they from?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by jmaine: 9:41am On Jul 05, 2012
In business, the most savvy and most appealing products wins . . .

When there is competition . . .we the customers always win . .

So let GOTV and STARTV slug it out . . .Shikena . .abi you want us to institute a $300k requisite amount for foreign business men to operate in Naija cheesy
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by jmaine: 9:54am On Jul 05, 2012
STARTV is an asian firm in collaboration with the NTA . . .so it's no Nigerian firm . .

HITV messed up big time when they started harassing football viewing centers, hotels,bars,nights clubs e.t.c with a threat of piracy if they do not comply in paying an exorbitant fee they prescribed, citing the strictly residential clause in their terms and condition . . .
Most football viewing centers simply called of their bluff by refusing to pay for the monthly N20,000 subscription slapped on them, with some packing up .This was a clear deviation from multichoice tradition of profit making via selling all units irrespective of what you want to use it for . . .while they made serious money . .peeps who also used them for business were also happy . .

If you seek to blame, blame it on the wrong approach from the HITV crew in generating revenue which pitted them against their huge customers base

6 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by honeric01(m): 10:13am On Jul 05, 2012
^^^

Collaboration, do you mean "partnership"?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by jmaine: 10:15am On Jul 05, 2012
honeric01: ^^^

Collaboration, do you mean "partnership"?

Yep, Partnership . . .
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by honeric01(m): 10:18am On Jul 05, 2012
jmaine:

Yep, Partnership . . .

Then they are more Nigerian than multi-choice.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by jmaine: 10:47am On Jul 05, 2012
honeric01:

Then they are more Nigerian than multi-choice.

Your correct . .but not totally Nigerian like HITV . . . Which the OP also cited as the victims of multi choice . .

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by honeric01(m): 11:05am On Jul 05, 2012
jmaine:

Your correct . .but not totally Nigerian like HITV . . . Which the OP also cited as the victims of multi choice . .

HITV ran more than their shadow, trying to run before crawling..they thought they have arrived, wanted to start misbehaving, lost the loyalty of their clients, then were left out in the cold to freeze.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by scopusng(m): 11:06am On Jul 05, 2012
Op, do you know what market competition is all about? Abeg, leave gotv alone and buy which ever apeal to most.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by jmaine: 11:19am On Jul 05, 2012
honeric01:

HITV ran more than their shadow, trying to run before crawling..they thought they have arrived, wanted to start misbehaving, lost the loyalty of their clients, then were left out in the cold to freeze.

absolutely correct cool
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by lagbaja(m): 12:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
my emphasis is putting in place an anti-trust law as it is done in other climes, HiTV and StarTv may have done somethings wrong or may not totally be Nigerian, that still does not justify a monopolistic tendency. I stand on the side of consumers, we need competition to get best value for our money.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by honeric01(m): 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
lagbaja: my emphasis is putting in place an anti-trust law as it is done in other climes, HiTV and StarTv may have done somethings wrong or may not totally be Nigerian, that still does not justify a monopolistic tendency. I stand on the side of consumers, we need competition to get best value for our money.

Let them come well prepared for the race and no one's going to shoot them down. multichoice didn't become big overnight, they also started small, so Hitv and startv should learn to be consistent, a step at a time and not to be too greedy.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by naptu2: 1:14pm On Jul 05, 2012
If we had anti-trust laws, Multichoice would not have been able to buy up ABG's assets in the early '90s. That was the beginning of their monopoly. We need the kind of anti-trust laws that took care of Standard Oil and the Bell Company.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Jul 05, 2012
jmaine: In business, the most savvy and most appealing products wins . . .

When there is competition . . .we the customers always win . .

So let GOTV and STARTV slug it out . . .Shikena . .abi you want us to institute a $300k requisite amount for foreign business men to operate in Naija cheesy
That's how it should be. If i find rwandan products more appealing then Rwanda it is.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
I use SPACE's MyTV, i think its powered by multiTV Ghana. the good news is that they have about 32 free channels without monthly charges, then if you want more channels you buy their smart card and pay 1500 monthly. the only disadvantage is that they televise football matches after it has been played but for sure my favorite channels are there for free they are-
1. BBC World, 2. France24 3. Aljazeera, Nollywood Plus etc.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Reference(m): 3:46pm On Jul 05, 2012
lagbaja: my emphasis is putting in place an anti-trust law as it is done in other climes, HiTV and StarTv may have done somethings wrong or may not totally be Nigerian, that still does not justify a monopolistic tendency. I stand on the side of consumers, we need competition to get best value for our money.

I thought anti-trust laws are set up to prevent connivance amongst hitherto competitors to set artificially high prices to the disadvantage of the consumer. In effect reducing competition. Is GoTV not doing the opposite, increasing competition within the DVB market to the advantage of the public. The charge that they want to kill off competition is unfounded and will never stand in any trial.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Reference(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2012
mankand: Ya'll waiting your time. Contact me, i can unlock your Free to air strong Decoder to receive and watch DSTV or any fucking TV station for free.

Why waste your money on thieves whn you can get it for free?

destayo87@gmail.com

And who's the thief here.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 3:53pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rich Dad: Startimes is not a Nigerian company either.so let the competition begins cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Errrr, not quite. It is a partnership between the Chinese, Start Times and the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

Read this:

NTA signs pact with Chinese firm, over digital transmission

THE Management of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) has entered into agreement with a Chinese international firm, StarTimes, to boost its operations in the country from the current analogue to digital broadcast transmission.

This was disclosed yesterday, by the Zonal Director, NTA Kaduna, Alhaji Bala Hassan, at a press briefing by StarTimes officials in conjunction with the NTA.

Hassan said that at the time the television station was discussing how to go digital on its broadcast, the Chinese firm, StarTimes came into its rescue by introducing digital transmission through decoder to the station.

The zonal director pointed out that in striking the deal, NTA had no option than to grab the opportunity since it came at a time the NTA management was in need of the digital outlook.

The effect of the partnership with StarTimes, according to the NTA Zonal boss was the introduction of channel 24 by the NTA which is a 24 hours transmitting station, operated digitally and viewed globally.

According to Hassan, “it is a kind of business actually, there was a time the director-general of the NTA was briefing us on how to go all digital. Some officials from StarTimes visited Nigeria and the idea was discussed with the director-general, and honestly that was the time when the NTA was struggling to expand.

“We were struggling to have new 24 channels, sports channel, entertainment channel, and by the time the officials came from the StarTimes, we realised it was a big relief for us, because they were coming in with digital transmission signals while we were all struggling to expand, and at the same time struggling to digitalise.”

“So by the time they met the DG, it was a good idea and an opportunity and it was discussed by the management with the Ministry of Information and the government bought the idea. It was not done by NTA alone, government came in. So that was how it all started, and later it became something great for us because it helped us, in the digitalisation effort.”

The General Manager, StarTimes, Kaduna, Mr. Jess Jing explained that the choice of partnership with NTA was borne out of the fact that the station was more experienced, exposed and has management skills and capability than any television station in the country.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86404:nta-signs-pact-with-chinese-firm-over-digital-transmission&catid=31:business&Itemid=562
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Ladipodeal: 3:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
My Startimes box is up for salefor #2000. Changing to GOTV 1500 package
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by amosy007: 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
We cant blame them. If d indegenous company can compete favourably with them . U will knw that nigerians are patriotic.. U cnt expect me to subscribe to mediocrity with me hard earned money..

On the issue of mtn.. Number portability will kill them ..coz many people on mtn people like me aint using mtn becoz i like them or their services buh becoz i duno how to change without losin me number

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 4:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
Huh? smiley
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by CHouse: 4:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
Anticipating the day American-owned DirecTV makes it way into naija. DSTV go run ehn, them legs no go reach ground. They ought to be running pay as you Go platform since electricity is a luxury in naija but no, exploitation no go allow the gluttons. Pri.cks!

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by damoskiy(m): 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
to be since you can get a package totally free for 10,000 i think.i bought daar sat when it came out but now they are no more.there is a way they would configure your decoder and you would stop paying subcribtion.i complement mine with dstv now because i use it for business.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by speaktoinzaghi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
HITV never had a game plan before they came, they thought it was all about football, the other channels they have aside from BBC, Sky news,Fox news and some few channels, the others are quack, imagine the likes of Hinolly, Gamji(ℓ☺ℓ), Amuludun Tv(lmao), and so on. Dstv on the other side has so many channels u can always pick on to watch. I could remember those days, watching a premiership match on Hitv, after the match the next thing is to switch of the decoder for there is nothing to watch again, Dstv knowing Hitv's weaknesses made sure they secured the total right to air all football matches of the premier league and other leagues for the next 2-3yrs or so leaving Hitv clueless....So any company that wants to be the game must have a good plan I.è having enough entertaining channels asides from the sport channels and should have a friendly package for the viewers
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by caye(m): 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
Does anybody in the house know how we can get free satellite tv in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by RichDad1(m): 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
maclatunji:

Errrr, not quite. It is a partnership between the Chinese, Start Times and the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

Read this:

NTA signs pact with Chinese firm, over digital transmission

THE Management of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) has entered into agreement with a Chinese international firm, StarTimes, to boost its operations in the country from the current analogue to digital broadcast transmission.

This was disclosed yesterday, by the Zonal Director, NTA Kaduna, Alhaji Bala Hassan, at a press briefing by StarTimes officials in conjunction with the NTA.

Hassan said that at the time the television station was discussing how to go digital on its broadcast, the Chinese firm, StarTimes came into its rescue by introducing digital transmission through decoder to the station.

The zonal director pointed out that in striking the deal, NTA had no option than to grab the opportunity since it came at a time the NTA management was in need of the digital outlook.

The effect of the partnership with StarTimes, according to the NTA Zonal boss was the introduction of channel 24 by the NTA which is a 24 hours transmitting station, operated digitally and viewed globally.

According to Hassan, “it is a kind of business actually, there was a time the director-general of the NTA was briefing us on how to go all digital. Some officials from StarTimes visited Nigeria and the idea was discussed with the director-general, and honestly that was the time when the NTA was struggling to expand.

“We were struggling to have new 24 channels, sports channel, entertainment channel, and by the time the officials came from the StarTimes, we realised it was a big relief for us, because they were coming in with digital transmission signals while we were all struggling to expand, and at the same time struggling to digitalise.”

“So by the time they met the DG, it was a good idea and an opportunity and it was discussed by the management with the Ministry of Information and the government bought the idea. It was not done by NTA alone, government came in. So that was how it all started, and later it became something great for us because it helped us, in the digitalisation effort.”

The General Manager, StarTimes, Kaduna, Mr. Jess Jing explained that the choice of partnership with NTA was borne out of the fact that the station was more experienced, exposed and has management skills and capability than any television station in the country.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86404:nta-signs-pact-with-chinese-firm-over-digital-transmission&catid=31:business&Itemid=562
I hear you.How many NTA stations on Startimes?(1) and How many Chinese stations?(4) dont let them deceive you cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
honeric01:

They missed the elementary business class first lecture..... cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Harry Potter Actor, Dies Aged 69 / #BBNaija: Tboss' Rumoured Husband Denies Being Married To Her In New Video / Alfa Sule Oruka Nla Instrumentals Mp3 Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.