Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative (23979 Views)

11 Year Old South African Asanda Jezile Going Through To The Finals! BGT! / South African Tv To Show 24 Hours Adult Channels / South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by chucky234(m): 1:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
HiTV were not prepared for the stiff competition before opening for business and they were very desperate to make money from match viewing centers operatives.
DSTV research team are very efficient set of guys,they know what they want to stay in business and never fail to implement.
Had both DSTV and HiTV,HiTV was a huge disappointment.

StarTV has no pedigree and should not be mention when DSTV and HiTV are being discussed,StarTV froze like scratched CD with very poor image quality.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
lets compare: GOTV stations vs startimes stations of the same genre[b] PLS FEEL FREE TO CORRECT, ADD AND SUBTRACT FROM THE LIST[/b]

GOTV
Africa Magic Hausa*****
Africa Magic Movies
Africa Magic World
Africa Magic Yoruba*****

STARTIMES
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
REAL STARS
ORISUN (YORUBA MOVIES)****
E-STARS

GOTV
AIT
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
MITV
LAGOS TV
NTA 1

STARTIMES
NTA News 24
NTA LAGOS/NTA ABUJA
NTA 2 CHANNEL 5
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
NTA KIDS
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
LAGOS TV
MITV
GALAXY
TVCONTINENTAL
DBN

GOTV
Al Jazeera
CNN not sure. dont think so

STARTIMES
ALJAZEERA
FRANCE 24
MSNBC
BBC WORLD
CCTV WORLD

GOTV
BET
Channel O
SOUNDCITY
MTV Base

STARTIMES
MTV BASE
BET
KENNIS MUSIC
STV MUSIC
NIGEZIE

GOTV
Discovery World
NatGeo Wild

STARTIMES
DISCOVERY WORLD
NATURE/HISTORY CHANNEL
EXPLORER/CRIME CHANNEL
ANIMAUX*****

GOTV
E! Entertainment

STARTIMES
E! ENTERTAINMENT

GOTV
eTV Africa

STARTIMES
eTV Africa
STV1
STV2

GOTV
Islam Channel
TBN
One Gospel

STARTIMES
IQRAA
TBN

GOTV
KidsCo
NICKELODEON

STARTIMES
KIDSCO
NICKELODEON

GOTV
Sony Max***

STARTIMES
STAR PLUS****
STAR GOLD****
BOLLYWOOD TV*****

GOTV
SELECT SPORT

STARTIMES
NTA SPORT
SETANTA AFRICA
MCS INTERNATIONAL****
MCS EXTREME *****
STARTIMES KUNG-FU (KUNGFU MOVIES AND SERIE A MATCHES)

GOTV
The Style Network

STARTIMES
FASHION TV
FASHION ONE

AND STARTIMES STILL HAS THE FOLLOWING

TRUE MOVIES
FOX
MGM
CCTV4 ****
STVC1 (CHINESE KUNGFU MOVIES)*****
PHOENIX******

The asterisked stations are language challenged.

so quite obviously, unless you are a big africa magic fan and thats ALL you watch on tv, there is no way in the world GOTV is a better deal to startimes.

people need to stop peddling lies and halftruths about. its pretty annoying. both platforms dont really offer anything outstanding, but it is definitely a lie to argue that GOTV is better at present

and need i say, startimes actually uses NTA infrastructure. their main investment is in the multimedia center installtion in abuja, and sourcing for stations(paying if at all, as most of those stations are free to air)

so tell me, how is Multichoice going to price them out of the market?

4 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by damilarelr(m): 2:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: lets compare: GOTV stations vs startimes stations of the same genre[b] PLS FEEL FREE TO CORRECT, ADD AND SUBTRACT FROM THE LIST[/b]

GOTV
Africa Magic Hausa*****
Africa Magic Movies
Africa Magic World
Africa Magic Yoruba*****

STARTIMES
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
REAL STARS
E-STARS

GOTV
AIT
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
MITV
LAGOS TV
NTA 1

STARTIMES
NTA News 24
NTA LAGOS/NTA ABUJA
NTA 2 CHANNEL 5
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
NTA KIDS
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
LAGOS TV
MITV
GALAXY
TVCONTINENTAL
DBN

GOTV
Al Jazeera

STARTIMES
ALJAZEERA
FRANCE 24
MSNBC
BBC WORLD
CCTV WORLD

GOTV
BET
Channel O
SOUNDCITY
MTV Base

STARTIMES
MTV BASE
BET
KENNIS MUSIC
STV MUSIC
NIGEZIE

GOTV
Discovery World
NatGeo Wild

STARTIMES
DISCOVERY WORLD
NATURE/HISTORY CHANNEL
EXPLORER/CRIME CHANNEL
ANIMAUX*****

GOTV
E! Entertainment

STARTIMES
E! ENTERTAINMENT

GOTV
eTV Africa

STARTIMES
eTV Africa
STV1
STV2

GOTV
Islam Channel
TBN
One Gospel

STARTIMES
IQRAA
TBN

GOTV
KidsCo
NICKELODEON

STARTIMES
KIDSCO
NICKELODEON

GOTV
Sony Max***

STARTIMES
STAR PLUS****
STAR GOLD****
BOLLYWOOD TV*****

GOTV
SELECT SPORT

STARTIMES
NTA SPORT
SETANTA AFRICA
MCS INTERNATIONAL****
MCS EXTREME *****

GOTV
The Style Network

STARTIMES
FASHION TV
FASHION ONE

TRUE MOVIES
FOX
MGM
CCTV4 ****
PHOENIX******

so quite obviously, unless you are a big africa magic fan and thats ALL you watch on tv, there is no way in the world GOTV is a better deal to startimes.

people need to stop peddling lies and halftruths about. its pretty annoying. both platforms dont really offer anything outstanding, but it is definitely a lie to argue that GOTV is better at present

and need i say, startimes actually uses NTA infrastructure. their main investment is in the multimedia center installtion in abuja, and sourcing for stations(paying if at all, as most of those stations are free to air)

Secondin you.. The solution Startimes offered for the NEPA wahala is the weekly recharge card at 300 naira and 500 naira for two weeks and 1k for one month. MultiChoice will never put assorted stations on GoTv, or else they want to close the rain-threatened dish business. GoTV has been in Ibadan since January, but Startimes has fully gained ground as far back as October 2010

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by ObiIgwebuike: 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
Welcome competition actually. This is all about targeting your competitor's profit sanctuary. For information about business management and competition, visit boardroomng.com. You may want to see one of our articles on competition and competitive strategy. http://boardroomng.com/the-business-of-core-competence/
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2012
Competition this December is going to be INSANE!
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by kinguwem: 8:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
Multichoice is monopolistic because nigerian enterpreneurs are not serious. Hitv was closed down because of the greed and incompetence of the management.
The fact that Multichoice leases property is a source of income to local property owners. The company creates jobs for owners of viewing centres, technicians and dealers.
Most nigerian local stations produce obsolete programmes and are still in existence because they serve the interest of the government.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by segun20: 1:16pm On Jul 07, 2012
startimes is in partnership with NTA and the main aim is to take nigeria from the analogy life to digital life. That is why u will see that all they do is to first make sure every home have something to watch. Nta has so many channels on it and other local stations and they plan to take up more local and international stations as they launch in different cities.
Currently now they just won the licence to show champions league too for 2012 to 2015.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by temmytanny(m): 2:15pm On Jul 07, 2012
se-gun:
startimes is in partnership with NTA and the main aim is to take nigeria from the analogy life to digital life. That is why u will see that all they do is to first make sure every home have something to watch. Nta has so many channels on it and other local stations and they plan to take up more local and international stations as they launch in different cities.
Currently now they just won the licence to show champions league too for 2012 to 2015.
Also have rights to spanish league and NATGEO channel will follow soon, now tell me if GOTV with only sport select can ever compete with Startimes in number of channels and programmes quality. DSTV will never make GOTV more quality becos it could affect DSTV itself and so for us that love sports,indian films,music and documentaries ,its STARTIMES all the way.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by TCD: 2:58pm On Jul 07, 2012
How many million years will it take star times to reach far and wide into Nigeria? Only very few states, that's poor in my opinion.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by temmytanny(m): 3:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
TCD: How many million years will it take star times to reach far and wide into Nigeria? Only very few states, that's poor in my opinion.
Thats why we customers need competition like the one GOTV brought. It keeps rivals on their toes
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by segun20: 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2012
In no time I believe startimes will get there,and will provide Good content & services to nigerians. It took DSTV 16 years before getting to where they are today. Pls let ask our self a simple question, if Gotv add full sport, Indian movie and other interesting channels to their bouquet do you think DSTV will have people subscribe to them.
Am a subcriber of DSTV and I do so because of CBB's but I stop paying for DSTV because I have star-times and Gotv. Statimes shows local drama,news,Indian channels and gotv is given me Disney junior sot tell me I don't need DSTV. If I want to watch premiership game I will go club that means DSTV is loosing out and I am sure multi choice will not want their premium brand to die because they are the content backbone for Gotv.

2 Likes

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by temmytanny(m): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2012
this is why i love competition. startimes just added 4new stations. FX(american movies),B4U(indian movies),BABYTV(cartoon),NATGEO(documetary).they nw av 59stations. this is why i said china no dey carry last. DSTV maynt survive this battle.some of their smaller bouquet may suffer for this
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by segun20: 10:06am On Jul 11, 2012
That is it my brother, competition is good and I love it. I believe there is need for us to understand one thing and that is “brand must have the people in mind over anything & everything they are producing. Startimes is growing and they have their customers in mind.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by sewa36447(m): 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
Competitor is very good for we the customers because it will make the company to be very serious with their product, service and most especially, their Customers. While i like StarTimes is that they came in with low decoder price and cheap subscription and have too many officeS with in lagos while DSTV as at 2 yrs back has few offices with lagos. I took my decoder to DSTV Office for complain and i stood on queue for over 3 hours before it was my turn but if they have many offices in lagos, i will not waste much time before i will be attended. because of StarTimes that we knew that some1 can watch digital program as cheap as 1k for a month but DSTV Least price was 2.5k per month with no interesting channel. Hi-tv came in and start killing Nigerians with high charges because we love watching football but after the match, there will be no interesting program to watch. So the coming of StarTimes has help to reduce the prices of decoder and subscription. I will even want more competitors to come in but All Thanks to StarTimes for opening the eyes of Nigerians.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by dicksonadams(m): 10:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
are the new channels for classic subscriber (1000) or banquet subscribers (1800)

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by seunlayi(m): 5:24pm On Jul 21, 2012
Startimes is better than gotv. Here in ibadan, the recepton of gotv is really bad and i doubt if they can stand the text of time with their dstv Godfather who only allow them to serve as competitors wth startimes.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Salesmultichoi: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
Need a gotv frm Dstv cal Direct Sales Agent on 08073803562.....@ ur door steep delivery....
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by bolu(m): 11:08pm On Jul 24, 2012
Sales@multichoi:
Need a gotv frm Dstv cal Direct Sales Agent on 08073803562.....@ ur door steep delivery....

Is it at the normal rate or with a premium?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:58am On Jul 26, 2012
dicksonadams: are the new channels for classic subscriber (1000) or banquet subscribers (1800)

classic 1000
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by geniusbami(m): 5:17pm On Aug 04, 2012
henry247: Startimes is crappy n useless.it cracks every minute even though I use d ext. Antanna,so how can they compete wit their poor quality services.their recent upgrade didn't help matters as most important stations like discovery for example has bin removed frm d 1000nira category n now 2000nira.d most annoyin is d inability to just watch for 2minutes witout cracking.mine is up for sale @3k wit ext antanna inclusive.

How can I get ur decoder and antenna? I'm at Ipaja part of Lagos.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Holyrule(m): 9:29am On Oct 03, 2012
henry247: Startimes is crappy n useless.it cracks every minute even though I use d ext. Antanna,so how can they compete wit their poor quality services.their recent upgrade didn't help matters as most important stations like discovery for example has bin removed frm d 1000nira category n now 2000nira.d most annoyin is d inability to just watch for 2minutes witout cracking.mine is up for sale @3k wit ext antanna inclusive.
brother i use startimes together with external Binatone remote controlled antenna, and it doesn't scramble one bit except on rare occasions and when it does, all i need do i use the remote control and rotate the antenna a bit and its stable. So i put it to you that startimes is weather friendly unlike other services that uses dishes. Just get a good antenna oki
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Holyrule(m): 10:12am On Oct 03, 2012
se-gun:
i've not actually watched Champions league yet on Startimes, i am Chelsea fan, guess they select the match they show to viewer abi.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 10:15am On Oct 03, 2012
Holyrule:
i've not actually watched Champions league yet on Startimes, i am Chelsea fan, guess they select the match they show to viewer abi.

I think Star Times did deceptive marketing. What they are showing is the Europa Cup not the Champions League. angry
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by seunlayi(m): 6:48am On Dec 08, 2012
Holyrule:
they are actually showing some selected star matches. I think this is ok. Thumb up for you
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 8:46am On Dec 08, 2012
seunlayi: they are actually showing some selected star matches. I think this is ok. Thumb up for you

Yeah! They didn't pay their money for Champion's League complete cheesy. There is loads of French League Matches too. So far, so good. It has been value for money on Star Times especially the N2,000/month bouquet.

Star Times should pay me for this endorsement. #LOL
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by bigmaut: 9:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
Upon all d chinko com.satelites we dey spend big money launch in space we no fit get common indegenous paytv like ghana we no even get satelite we be agbaya!wee no dey shame :'
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Telez(m): 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2012
pls is der anybody in osogbo using startimes
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Azaw(m): 5:28pm On Apr 26, 2013
Is gotv showing big brother?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by tupaz96: 8:41am On May 20, 2013
good news for.mtn users...u can now browse and send sms free of charge...

for more info on how to activate and configure ur sim contact 08107735263 or facebook.com/judoc.topaz or 2go @ tupaz96
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by tripledub: 9:14pm On May 22, 2013
4llerbuntu: lets compare: GOTV stations vs startimes stations of the same genre[b] PLS FEEL FREE TO CORRECT, ADD AND SUBTRACT FROM THE LIST[/b]

GOTV
Africa Magic Hausa*****
Africa Magic Movies
Africa Magic World
Africa Magic Yoruba*****

STARTIMES
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
REAL STARS
E-STARS

GOTV
AIT
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
MITV
LAGOS TV
NTA 1

STARTIMES
NTA News 24
NTA LAGOS/NTA ABUJA
NTA 2 CHANNEL 5
NTA ENTERTAINMENT
NTA KIDS
SILVERBIRD TV
CHANNELS
LAGOS TV
MITV
GALAXY
TVCONTINENTAL
DBN

GOTV
Al Jazeera

STARTIMES
ALJAZEERA
FRANCE 24
MSNBC
BBC WORLD
CCTV WORLD

GOTV
BET
Channel O
SOUNDCITY
MTV Base

STARTIMES
MTV BASE
BET
KENNIS MUSIC
STV MUSIC
NIGEZIE

GOTV
Discovery World
NatGeo Wild

STARTIMES
DISCOVERY WORLD
NATURE/HISTORY CHANNEL
EXPLORER/CRIME CHANNEL
ANIMAUX*****

GOTV
E! Entertainment

STARTIMES
E! ENTERTAINMENT

GOTV
eTV Africa

STARTIMES
eTV Africa
STV1
STV2

GOTV
Islam Channel
TBN
One Gospel

STARTIMES
IQRAA
TBN

GOTV
KidsCo
NICKELODEON

STARTIMES
KIDSCO
NICKELODEON

GOTV
Sony Max***

STARTIMES
STAR PLUS****
STAR GOLD****
BOLLYWOOD TV*****

GOTV
SELECT SPORT

STARTIMES
NTA SPORT
SETANTA AFRICA
MCS INTERNATIONAL****
MCS EXTREME *****

GOTV
The Style Network

STARTIMES
FASHION TV
FASHION ONE

TRUE MOVIES
FOX
MGM
CCTV4 ****
PHOENIX******

True talk. God bless u for the analysis. I used to be proud of startv from introduction but since this crafty gotv came on board, i started talking less of my beloved startv. Thank u for boasting my confidence again.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by trustmybiz: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2013
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Anuoluwap(m): 10:52pm On Aug 17, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Harry Potter Actor, Dies Aged 69 / #BBNaija: Tboss' Rumoured Husband Denies Being Married To Her In New Video / Bbnaija Reunion: Prince Was Not Sincere With Me — Dorathy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.