Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative (23978 Views)

11 Year Old South African Asanda Jezile Going Through To The Finals! BGT! / South African Tv To Show 24 Hours Adult Channels / South African Movie Industry Vs Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by tayejay(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
991: I use SPACE's MyTV, i think its powered by multiTV Ghana. the good news is that they have about 32 free channels without monthly charges, then if you want more channels you buy their smart card and pay 1500 monthly. the only disadvantage is that they televise football matches after it has been played but for sure my favorite channels are there for free they are-
1. BBC World, 2. France24 3. Aljazeera, Nollywood Plus etc.
[color=#000099][/color]

Please how much space's myTv go for? Thnx
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Chongaiman: 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
I checked online for what both StarTimes and GoTV are offering. The difference is clear. For my money's worth, I will go for GoTV. Anyone knows if it is already in operation in KD?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by henry247(m): 4:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
Startimes is crappy n useless.it cracks every minute even though I use d ext. Antanna,so how can they compete wit their poor quality services.their recent upgrade didn't help matters as most important stations like discovery for example has bin removed frm d 1000nira category n now 2000nira.d most annoyin is d inability to just watch for 2minutes witout cracking.mine is up for sale @3k wit ext antanna inclusive.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
Bros u Dey work 4 star time this is business like u said COMPETITION is the name of the game SURVIVAL (more customer) the tactics Multi choice no come Nigeria to count bridge ask star times to step up their game. Ask ur govt how much dem collect as license fee.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2012
All these local guys should bring station that will fully compete with Dstv.When MTN came,nigerians thought that is the best but today,there is a strong competition in Nigeria that even if MTN decides to pull out,they are on their own.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by ohlala1: 5:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
I just pity Mytv in all these. Let the competition continue.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2012
as anyone start using gotv in lagos cos i see their marketers everyday and i was always tempted to buy it. I was just wondering about the reception for now. Pls share ur experience and your location. I just know that it has come to stay for two reasons
1. It is used by many african countries
2. Operated by almighty multichoice. Pls share your experience compare to startimes.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by TCD: 5:22pm On Jul 05, 2012
Never heard of GOTV before, just checked it out online. And boy if it came to my locale I'd pick it over startimes 100 times. They offer better channel selection than startimes. No time to waste my hard earned money subscribing to a substandard product in the name of patriotism. I have never seen anywhere they say, patriots gather and they start sharing free money to them. undecided

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by scopusng(m): 5:38pm On Jul 05, 2012
4bobo: as anyone start using gotv in lagos cos i see their marketers everyday and i was always tempted to buy it. I was just wondering about the reception for now. Pls share ur experience and your location. I just know that it has come to stay for two reasons
1. It is used by many african countries
2. Operated by almighty multichoice. Pls share your experience compare to startimes.

If they are almighty as you claimed why are skeptical about the reception
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Chongaiman: 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
oh-lala:

grin cheesy wink smiley grin cheesy wink smiley grin cheesy wink smiley grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
CHouse: Anticipating the day American-owned DirecTV makes it way into naija. DSTV go run ehn, them legs no go reach ground. They ought to be running pay as you Go platform since electricity is a luxury in naija but no, exploitation no go allow the gluttons. Pri.cks!

No mind them bruv, I even heard from someone that Dstv offers pay as u go service in south Africa. We need more coy to bring about competition so as to benefit the customers.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by ohlala1: 6:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
Is it the same DSTV that Nigerians have been complaining of that is now the darling?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
TCD: Never heard of GOTV before, just checked it out online. And boy if it came to my locale I'd pick it over startimes 100 times. They offer better channel selection than startimes. No time to waste my hard earned money subscribing to a substandard product in the name of patriotism. I have never seen anywhere they say, patriots gather and they start sharing free money to them. undecided

Lolz..badt guyz
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by fesse(f): 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rich Dad: Startimes is not a Nigerian company either.so let the competition begins cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

China
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by temmytanny(m): 6:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
I have checked both but i will stil go for Startimes cos of more channels(51+). Though i pay over 2k everymonth for it but i prefer them to GOTV cos of their indian movies channels,FOX,MSNBC,KUNGFU,SETANTA etc. Just had they av rights to UCL N spanish league n will soon add NATGEO to their bouquet. i cant be moved by GOTV african magic channels,same of the same repetition of DSTV.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
[size=15pt]God bless OP. Just this afternoon i was thinking about the Nigerian society and can't but shake my head helplessly at the fact that there is something fundamentally wrong with us all and nobody can save us but ourselves.
Have you ever asked yourselves what the Nigerian DREAM is?
[/size]
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by otunba9ja: 8:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
Chongaiman: I checked online for what both StarTimes and GoTV are offering. The difference is clear. For my money's worth, I will go for GoTV. Anyone knows if it is already in operation in KD?

Pls, educate us on the differences you have noted.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by otunba9ja: 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
henry247: Startimes is crappy n useless.it cracks every minute even though I use d ext. Antanna,so how can they compete wit their poor quality services.their recent upgrade didn't help matters as most important stations like discovery for example has bin removed frm d 1000nira category n now 2000nira.d most annoyin is d inability to just watch for 2minutes witout cracking.mine is up for sale @3k wit ext antanna inclusive.

BROS, WE NEED TO CHECK OUT WHERE U DEY LIVE.......ABI NA JUNGLE OR BELOW SEA LEVEL.......MANY PPLE ARE DUMPING DSTV/GOTV 4 STARTIMES. OR WHY DO YOU THINK DSTV INTRODUCED GOTV.......SIMPLY because THEY ARE FEELING THE HEAT.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by temmytanny(m): 8:48pm On Jul 05, 2012
otunba 9ja:

BROS, WE NEED TO CHECK OUT WHERE U DEY LIVE.......ABI NA JUNGLE OR BELOW SEA LEVEL.......MANY PPLE ARE DUMPING DSTV/GOTV 4 STARTIMES. OR WHY DO YOU THINK DSTV INTRODUCED GOTV.......SIMPLY because THEY ARE FEELING THE HEAT.
I doubt if they will win the battle this time around cos Chinese no dey carry last. Go and ask HUAWEI and ERICSSON

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Biggysmalls919(m): 9:55pm On Jul 05, 2012
i've written on this times without number. There is no comparism b/w mutichoice vs nta star tv. Startimes channels are just normal local lagos channels(lagos residents) and some yeye chinese stations dat we don't understand d language, and the series of nta channels dat have nothing to show. As for gotv they can boast of better channels and so would do better in d market.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by maclatunji: 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rich Dad:
I hear you.How many NTA stations on Startimes?(1) and How many Chinese stations?(4) dont let them deceive you cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Rich Dad:
I hear you.How many NTA stations on Startimes?(1) and How many Chinese stations?(4) dont let them deceive you cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Rich Dad:

Excuse me, you have Nta News 24, NTA Education, Nta Sports, Nta 2, Channel 5 on Star times. By 2015, all stations have to go digital. NTA don't have a choice and have adopted StarTimes as their platform. Your word against my word + documentary evidence.

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by rhymz(m): 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
Competition is good jare
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by SkyRider1(m): 12:53am On Jul 06, 2012
jmaine: STARTV is an asian firm in collaboration with the NTA . . .so it's no Nigerian firm . .

HITV messed up big time when they started harassing football viewing centers, hotels,bars,nights clubs e.t.c with a threat of piracy if they do not comply in paying an exorbitant fee they prescribed, citing the strictly residential clause in their terms and condition . . .
Most football viewing centers simply called of their bluff by refusing to pay for the monthly N20,000 subscription slapped on them, with some packing up .This was a clear deviation from multichoice tradition of profit making via selling all units irrespective of what you want to use it for . . .while they made serious money . .peeps who also used them for business were also happy . .

If you seek to blame, blame it on the wrong approach from the HITV crew in generating revenue which pitted them against their huge customers base

Please always confirm ya information.

Wrong!!! HITV went down because its owner went on spending spree while disregarding his bankers who he owed millions of dollars.

Wrong again! DSTV haunts commercial customers as well. one of their agents quietly sneaks into a bar, garden, hotel... etc copies the code displayed on live soccer programmes. he sends this to multichoice switch. next morning the commercial subscriber gets a phone call that his subsequent subscriptions will now be N14,400

1 Like

Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by SkyRider1(m): 1:04am On Jul 06, 2012
oh-lala:

MYTV is coming with all channels in HD (High definition). You can't beat that. They are Seriously in the game. DSTV is mainly used in urban areas. while MYTV maintains a firm grip on rural areas.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by yamakuza: 1:10am On Jul 06, 2012
oh-lala:

DaarSAT nko?
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Revolva(m): 1:40am On Jul 06, 2012
Daarsat hahah they should just forget about it haha they should merge with startime and skatter dstv
Even dstv also cracks whenever it rains and its annoying
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by nikkyshyne(f): 7:57am On Jul 06, 2012
Is Mytv in lagos? I think Mytv is equally good having similar channels to Dstv. And yes, the problem with startimes is d cracking thing. And sometimes, it goes off with "no signals"
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by scopusng(m): 8:48am On Jul 06, 2012
So, people still pay monthly to watch dstv? I watch all dstv channels for free for the past 1 year including free intenet browsing(unlimited)but was illegally done.My own way of cheating dstv people. I hope nobody would come here and start preaching to me that i am cheating on dstv.Mtcheeeeew in advance.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by nikkyshyne(f): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2012
scopusng: So, people still pay monthly to watch dstv? I watch all dstv channels for free for the past 1 year including free intenet browsing(unlimited)but was illegally done.My own way of cheating dstv people. I hope nobody would come here and start preaching to me that i am cheating on dstv.Mtcheeeeew in advance.
Thief, Ole!!
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Boboribo: 12:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
Sky Rider:

MYTV is coming with all channels in HD (High definition). You can't beat that. They are Seriously in the game. DSTV is mainly used in urban areas. while MYTV maintains a firm grip on rural areas.

You will agree with me that Nigerians consider cost first before content. They will eventually seek content later but the first question is how does it cost to suscribe per month? On that score Mytv of 1900 is still high. People only use the Mytv frequency position to get free Church Channels.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by Boboribo: 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
For those complaining about startimes cracking, do two things. Get an external antenna and make sure your antenna is far away from generator noise. You may notice that in the evenings once your generator or your neighbours generator is on, the signal drops.
Re: GOTV Targeted At Startv: Another South African Anti Competition Initiative by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2012
maclatunji:

Excuse me, you have Nta News 24, NTA Education, Nta Sports, Nta 2, Channel 5 on Star times. By 2015, all stations have to go digital. NTA don't have a choice and have adopted StarTimes as their platform. Your word against my word + documentary evidence.

ur head dey correct jare

dem go just dey yarn as if them get exclusive to the things in question.

by the way i challenge anyone to list the GOTV channels and use them to critique star tv!

we have had this discussion before. other than personal preference, there is no practical difference and star tv actually trumps them sef.

DSTV is not going to put any sensible station on gotv na, y would they? u want them to spoil the dish market?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Harry Potter Actor, Dies Aged 69 / #BBNaija: Tboss' Rumoured Husband Denies Being Married To Her In New Video / Bbnaija Reunion: Prince Was Not Sincere With Me — Dorathy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.