Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day (16985 Views)

Journalists In Tipper Truck For Ghana’s 59th Independence Day / Happy Independence Day America! USA Celebrates Its 238th Independence Day! / Israeli Group Launches Anti-Islam Campaign on U.S Public Buses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 05, 2012
A YOUNG Nigerian is among a selected few U.S. military servicemen who were sworn in yesterday as U.S. citizens by President Barack Obama as the country celebrated its Independence Day while also honouring the commitment of the immigrants to America’s national security.

A White House statement released yesterday morning said Oluwatosin K. Akinduro, was born in Lagos, but graduated from a high school in Houston, Texas, where there is a considerable population of Nigerian immigrants.

According to the White House statement, “he joined the Army National Guard in search of new opportunities and a new challenge to lead by example.”

The U.S. government often offers citizenship status to immigrants in the U.S. who joined the nation’s military service as a way of honouring their service and highlighting their dedication to the defence of the nation.

At the “naturalisation ceremony for active duty service members,” Obama picked out a few of the new citizens for mention, including Akinduro.

“We salute a young man from Nigeria who came here as a child,” Obama said.

Obama quoted Akinduro as saying: “I left Nigeria with the dream that we all have a destiny in life and we are all born with the resources to make a difference.”

Obama went on: “We are confident he will make a difference. We congratulate Oluwatosin Akinduro.”

Commenting on the event, which he does yearly as president, Obama noted that “I have to tell you, just personally, this is one of my favourite things to do.”

According to him, this is because “it brings me great joy and inspiration because it reminds us that we are a country that is bound together not simply by ethnicity or bloodlines, but by fidelity to a set of ideas. And as members of our military, you raised your hand and took an oath of service. It is an honour for me to serve as your Commander-in-Chief. Today, you raised your hand and have taken an oath of citizenship. And I could not be prouder to be among the first to greet you as “my fellow Americans.”

The White House statement added that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director, Alejandro Mayorkas, presented the countries of the candidates for naturalisation since all the active duty military servicemen like Nigeria’s Akinduro were all immigrants to the U.S.

Also, the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, delivered the oath of allegiance and the audience was composed of the service members and their families.

In all there were about 20 of such immigrants from different countries who have joined the U.S. military and were sworn-in as citizens in a yearly event conducted specially by the U.S. President at the White House.

Other naturalisation ceremonies go on regularly, but the U.S. specially honours those from the military for special focus with the active involvement of the U.S. President.

However, all new U.S. citizens always receive a letter(s) from the sitting president after their naturalisation.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91367:obama-honours-nigerian-on-us-independence-day&catid=1:national&Itemid=559#comments

2 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by ifihearam: 11:49am On Jul 05, 2012
Hmmmmm
Tosin so you cannot make a difference here in Nigeria abi?
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by undet: 11:50am On Jul 05, 2012
I congratulate you Akinduro, if its your dream i believe you can become a congress man someday. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by undet: 11:51am On Jul 05, 2012
ifihearam: Hmmmmm
You have a problem with is life pattern? You can decide to go there too o. grin

1 Like

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by foyeks2001(f): 11:53am On Jul 05, 2012
congrats Tosin

2 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by brightleave(m): 11:55am On Jul 05, 2012
some dey abroad dey repair nigeria, while some dey nigeria dey scatter the country

10 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by Forzap: 11:55am On Jul 05, 2012

to make a difference, where? Naija?guy u don high ooo

3 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by joejeezy(m): 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
Shame on him, so he can't fulfill his destiny in naija, hw many americans are in the nigerian army?...#smh#
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by Tattooboy: 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
na dis guy go first bomb Nigeria if war begins. On my way to the US, the best Nation in the World.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by kinectik: 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
another slave boy fighting in the white man's army and for white imperialism. onye ara
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by timmy1999(m): 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
Tosin was my classmate in high school in bariga..he went to usa in 1999 and join the military later..but he don forget us now..anyway sha..best of luck

3 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by ifihearam: 12:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
See guys dey claim relationship oooo
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by inspirenet: 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2012
timmy1999: Tosin was my classmate in high school in bariga..he went to usa in 1999 and join the military later..but he don forget us now..anyway sha..best of luck
smiley
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by cyril83(m): 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2012
timmy1999: Tosin was my classmate in high school in bariga..he went to usa in 1999 and join the military later..but he don forget us now..anyway sha..best of luck
story story
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by boyendowed(m): 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nice one
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by francis247(m): 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
dear Tosin, thanks 4 partly patching d torn arse of this Tribalised skunk called Nigeria. More grease 2 ur bow joints.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by talk2tosep(m): 12:16pm On Jul 05, 2012
grin@timmy 1999..now you dey form familiarity grin@timmy 1999..now you dey form familiarity
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by ayox2003: 12:16pm On Jul 05, 2012

He did not forget you. Experiences and distance factor-in on our individual lives.

Frawzey.
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by IleIfe2(m): 12:18pm On Jul 05, 2012
kinectik: another slave boy fighting in the white man's army and for white imperialism. onye ara

SMH for you
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by confetti(f): 12:18pm On Jul 05, 2012
How nice to live in an achievement oriented environment.
Big Congrats Tosin, ur definitely making a difference.
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by coolgb(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2012
I salute his courage
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by dagreen14: 12:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Thats what he looks like ....Shun Sir

1 Like

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by blackboi(m): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2012

NDA admission don't come easy
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by alaoeri: 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2012
Eyah sorry oh double υя hustling. grin
Eyah sorry oh double υя hustling.
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by nwanioma(f): 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nice one, Its always good to here our country Nigeria mentioned in a good light! and the people that take it there I salute!
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by 27naira(m): 12:24pm On Jul 05, 2012
kinectik: another slave boy fighting in the white man's army and for white imperialism. onye ara

As long as there is night and day, id.iots shall never cease to abound.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by Tsmooth1(m): 12:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
Did he graduate from covenant uni? he looks like he bought a firstclass degree in there.
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by slap1(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
Goodluck, bro. At least you are in a country that knows your worth.
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by REMMEI(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2012

are yu serious?. . Do yu mean CMS grammer school in bariga?. .
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by Shankboye(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
C me see wahala, hundreds of nigerian are joinin d military everyday here in d state, just because of citizenship, 2weeks after u join, u will become a citizen but d repercurssion is dat ur next assignment will be in iraq..I will rather wait 3yrs and get my citizenship dan joining d military...mtchew
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by sensydin: 12:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
Keep representing well o dude
Re: Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day by lacasa: 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
joejeezy: Shame on him, so he can't fulfill his destiny in naija, hw many americans are in the nigerian army?...#smh#

Gbam!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

West African Countries Shower President Ramaphosa With Honours & Titles On Tour / New York: State Of Emergency Declared As Life-Threatening Storm Causes Flooding / Wildfires Rage In Colorado , USA ( Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.