Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:23 PM

What Is The Right Age To Start School? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Right Age To Start School? (36716 Views)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by jcflex(m): 1:09pm On Aug 12, 2018
Thank God for this tread. learn smthing new again.

I have been having this running battle now for my son who clock 2 last july to enrol in sch. which i vehemently refuse.

the love of money from parent push them to enrol little kids in sch. entrusting little kids to the sch teachers. who have not even take care of his/her own kids.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nams77: 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2019
I had to find out this thread to find out what others are saying. I'm beginning to face pressure now about my son who is just one year and seven months. I have decided he will start when he is two but them no wan let me rest for house o. Baby must start by January. Well I have put my foot down. No Jupiter can force me to go against my will

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2019
nams77:
I had to find out this thread to find out what others are saying. I'm beginning to face pressure now about my son who is just one year and seven months. I have decided he will start when he is two but them no wan let me rest for house o. Baby must start by January. Well I have put my foot down. No Jupiter can force me to go against my will

Good for you and your baby too!
Glad this thread is still on and teaching young parents
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 8:50am On Jan 09, 2019
nams77:

You can target Nursery 1 at age 3 which will give you Primary 1 at age 5 and then Primary 5 or Primary 6(depending on the school) at age 10. This will mean that the child is ready to enter secondary school at age 10 and not less. Even at this age 10 in secondary school, the child will still struggle a bit with children that are older.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 11:51am On Jan 12, 2019
NL1960:

You can target Nursery 1 at age 3 which will give you Primary 1 at age 5 and then Primary 5 or Primary 6(depending on the school) at age 10. This will mean that the child is ready to enter secondary school at age 10 and not less. Even at this age 10 in secondary school, the child will still struggle a bit with children that are older.

What happened to kg classes... they start with kg 1 and kg 2 before Nursery.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 4:19pm On Jan 12, 2019
nifeseun:

My kids did not do kg classes as i did not consider them as that important. I was after development of the brain and maturity. They did their kg classes at home. They started Nursery 1 at age 3 which i believe is the standard age for Nursery 1.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by LadySarah: 5:36pm On Jan 12, 2019
nifeseun:

It depends on when they started and what name the school calls it.
When I enrolled my 2 Yr old in school,they called pre nursery busy bee,another school called it toddler class while the next school I made enquiries from called it activity and the other playgroup or whatever.causing confusion every where.
He is 3 now and in nursery one.
We relocated and the new school I enrolled them now calls theirs sensory motor,it WS the class his 2 Yr old younger bro will be .
The children that were rushed into school below 3 will still be met by those who stayed at home till 3 and these latter ones tend to excel more because they are mentally and psychological ly ready for it.

They just keep causing confusion everywhere but what .all explained to me was
Under 1 Yr:creche
1-2yrs--playgroup
2-3yrs--pre nursery
3yrs-4yrs- nursery and so on though depends on what your child is able to do as each class has its own target .
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2019
NL1960:

My kids did not do kg classes as i did not consider them as that important. I was after development of the brain and maturity. They did their kg classes at home. They started Nursery 1 at age 3 which i believe is the standard age for Nursery 1.

I wish i can let my son stay at home till age 3, but he doesn't take me serious when I want to teach him and some pple, xpecially my mil is already complaining that am keeping her grandson at home at 2.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 9:22pm On Jan 12, 2019
LadySarah:

When I enrolled my 2 Yr old in school,they called pre nursery busy bee,another school called it toddler class while the next school I made enquiries from called it activity and the other playgroup or whatever.causing confusion every where.
We relocated and the new school I enrolled them now calls theirs sensory motor,it WS the class his 2 Yr old younger bro will be .
The children that were rushed into school below 3 will still be met by those who stayed at home till 3 and these latter ones tend to excel more because they are mentally and psychological ly ready for it.

1-2yrs--playgroup
2-3yrs--pre nursery
3yrs-4yrs- nursery and so on though depends on what your child is able to do as each class has its own target .

That's true, am presently looking for a school for my son and the confusion is too much, from pre school, reception 1 and 2 or toddler classes, i guess they are all same.. the schools are kinda expensive dis days, may God help us o.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 9:18am On Jan 14, 2019
nifeseun:

I wish i can let my son stay at home till age 3, but he doesn't take me serious when I want to teach him and some pple, xpecially my mil is already complaining that am keeping her grandson at home at 2.

He doesn't take you serious because he is still at the playful age. He has not yet reach the age of learning. Your mil should just relax. Iam sure she wants to go and 'boast' to her inner circle that 'my grandson has started school'. When she pressures you again, tactically ask her the age your husband(her son) started school. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 9:24am On Jan 14, 2019
LadySarah:

1-2yrs--playgroup
2-3yrs--pre nursery

You hit the nail on the head. When my wife was pressurizing me to enroll our son in school because those he is senior to have started, i just ignored and told her the father of the son he is referring to started school before me but i graduated before him from the university. When my son now started from nursery 1 at age 3 and the man saw the speed with which he knew things that his son that has been in school did not know, he started blaming the school and i pointed out to him where the issues were. His second son did not start until he was 3.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 3:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
NL1960:

He doesn't take you serious because he is still at the playful age. He has not yet reach the age of learning. Your mil should just relax. Iam sure she wants to go and 'boast' to her inner circle that 'my grandson has started school'. When she pressures you again, tactically ask her the age your husband(her son) started school. grin

Hubby started at 6month o, cos she was working lipsrsealed undecided
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 3:54pm On Jan 14, 2019
nifeseun:

Hubby started at 6month o, cos she was working lipsrsealed undecided

Shuooooo. wahala dey o.

Is it that he started school at 6 months or daycare at 6 months?. There is a difference.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 4:07pm On Jan 14, 2019
NL1960:

Shuooooo. wahala dey o.

Is it that he started school at 6 months or daycare at 6 months?. There is a difference.

Daycare ooo my sister, my son started pre school today sef, he came home mumbling a song, it is well, at least the school is close by and he closes around 2pm. Mil is happy now smiley
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 4:30pm On Jan 14, 2019
nifeseun:

Daycare ooo my sister, my son started pre school today sef, he came home mumbling a song, it is well, at least the school is close by and he closes around 2pm. Mil is happy now smiley

The next meeting of her inner circle will be super special. It will be with extra bounce and smiles of 'my grandson has started school' during the meeting. Every phone call will also end with that phrase. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 8:40am On Jan 15, 2019
NL1960:

The next meeting of her inner circle will be super special. It will be with extra bounce and smiles of 'my grandson has started school' during the meeting. Every phone call will also end with that phrase. cheesy cheesy

Lolzz, i am telling you ehn, am sure my mum sef would have started talking about it. we thank God for their lives.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by egojeny1(f): 6:15pm On Jan 15, 2019
NL1960:

Hahaha.

Following
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 6:39pm On Jan 15, 2019
NL1960:

wink Allow her to gloat small na. It's not easy to have a grandchild about to conquer academics o
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 10:48am On Jan 16, 2019
smartmom:

wink Allow her to gloat small na. It's not easy to have a grandchild about to conquer academics o

grin its not easy oo na God's grace.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Grimtalpo: 12:55am On Jul 12, 2021
The earlier you start school is much, much better, as entering older is sometimes a problem in terms of learning, when we are more apt for the uptake of information and academic instruction, but anyone who wants to excel; so for these cases study at any age is always a good thing.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Lamanii22(f): 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2022
nams77:
had to find this thread as well, I’m facing the same pressure too about my daughter who is just 1yr and 8 months… they want me to put her in school this September but I feel she’s still too small for school plus she’s just picking her words and still using diaper… I’m scared to put her now…

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Fejiromichelle: 10:47am On Sep 06, 2022
This Thread has just helped me this morning with my decision.. My daughter is 1 year and 6 months, so we are planning to register her in school, because of my work.. I can no longer take take her with me. My husband thinks she should start with crèche, till she is two, before going to play group 1,i was thinking she should start with play group 1.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman In Tears As She Reunites With Mentally Challenged Son Who Went Missing (vi / NSCDC Officer, NYSC Member Trade Blows over Food at FCTA Event / My In-laws Driving Me Nuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.