Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students (13657 Views)

Macedonian Government Scholarships For Foreign Students. / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by senateservices(m): 10:34am On Jul 08, 2012
Chikenan! Lobatan o! I tink with introduction of one on one accademic interview, doz rich but empty skull foriegn prospective students won't even boda to apply for admmission cheesy again. grin wink
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by freecocoa(f): 10:38am On Jul 08, 2012
Later people will come on NL and say "English is not our mother tongue,so spare us"

Una don hear am na,no english,no pass interview,no school for Britain.cheesy

2 Likes

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2012
justwise:

You really have problem with your little self, what is all these rants all about? Those cities i pointed out to you have a large number of Asians hence in a way agreeing with you that if you live in those cities it will feel as if you live in India.

it's obvious he doesn't understand your statement - it's quite difficult making meaning from your earlier comment about Bradford & Luton if one doesn't live in the UK. little wonder he took umbrage and lashed out uncouth comments grin grin grin grin grin. Although your comment supports his, he COMPLETELY failed to comprehend it. funny innit? and a 'complex' is apparent in that rant.ignorance laced with insolence!

1 Like

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by justwise(m): 10:43am On Jul 08, 2012
senate services: Chikenan! Lobatan o! I tink with introduction of one on one accademic interview, doz rich but empty skull foriegn prospective students won't even boda to apply for admmission cheesy again. grin wink

grin grin grin grin grin Chinese students will be greatly affected, at the moment all you need to do is to present TOEFL result with acceptable scores and it will be accepted but we all know that some people paid someone to write it for them.

One-on-One interview will expose quite a lot of people.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by freecocoa(f): 10:43am On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

it's obvious he doesn't understand your statement - it's quite difficult making meaning from your earlier comment about Bradford & Luton if one doesn't live in the UK. little wonder he took umbrage and lashed out uncouth comments grin grin grin grin grin. Although your comment supports his, he COMPLETELY failed to comprehend it. funny innit? and a 'complex' is apparent in that rant.ignorance laced with insolence!
Now this is what i call POLITE INSULT grin grin grin grin
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 10:46am On Jul 08, 2012
senate services: Chikenan! Lobatan o! I tink with introduction of one on one accademic interview, doz rich but empty skull foriegn prospective students won't even boda to apply for admmission cheesy again. grin wink

freecocoa: Later people will come on NL and say "English is not our mother tongue,so spare us"

Una don hear am na,no english,no pass interview,no school for Britain.cheesy

I don't think any Nigerian graduate who desires to be in the UK for postgraduate studies will find it difficult passing their interviews. the only problem they may face is the difference in accent. if you grasp their accent, that's a piece of cake.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by justwise(m): 10:46am On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

I rather agree with you on that highlighted part but will avoid saying it myself grin grin grin
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 08, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Yea. . .that is if you live in Bradford, Luton or some part of Leicester.

emmhh, including Manchester, Trafford, Bolton, Salford, Ashton-u-lyne, Rochdale. Infact the whole of greater Manchester.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by FindOut(m): 10:51am On Jul 08, 2012
Mr.Lu.Gold:

"justnotwise" i live in Abuja, Calabar and Lagos. Three places i'm prouder to say i live in than Camden or Central London or whatever metropolis in UK you live in that makes you feel you are more special than the dust i swept out of my office this morning. That's right! i said it Negro!!

Jeeezzzz!!!! Why the hostility i'm seriously tempted to think you are beefing the dude. Abeg, lets be civil here please.

May God provide UK visas for those who earnestly yearn for it. Amen.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by justwise(m): 10:52am On Jul 08, 2012
saxywale:

emmhh, including Manchester, Trafford, Bolton, Salford, Ashton-u-lyne, Rochdale. Infact the whole of greater Manchester.

The list keep coming. grin grin grin if you look at those areas carefully you will notice alot of bogus colleges there, Manchester especially, those bogus colleges created this problem foreign students are having now
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by alaoeri: 10:53am On Jul 08, 2012
All boils down to cameroon administration the guy no too like foreigners.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

I don't think any Nigerian graduate who desires to be in the UK for postgraduate studies will find it difficult passing their interviews. the only problem they may face is the difference in accent. if you grasp their accent, that's a piece of cake.

what if they are interviewed by someone from Liverpool, Newcastle or Scotland ...lol
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 08, 2012
justwise:

The list keep coming. grin grin grin if you look at those areas carefully you will notice alot of bogus colleges there, Manchester especially, those bogus colleges created this problem foreign students are having now

True, most of the bogus colleges are actually owned by Indians and Pakistanis. grin
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by solomonwis(m): 10:58am On Jul 08, 2012
I cannot agree less that the policies introduced by the government of the day will greatly affect the fortune of the educational institutions in the UK and I think they can foresee this.

I know this much when I confronted a UKTI Nigeria Director in Lagos when they brought an institution to come and give “seminar” instead of the usual on the spot admission program.

I told the official to his face {even though he jokingly told me I wasn't supposed to be invited for the program because I was promoting another country that the UK will lose prospective students to} that the policy isn't fair as non-EU students won't spend so much to be educated and they push them out back to their country even though that's an eventuality.

If care is not taken the UK will need to do a lot with winning back prospective students from all over the world.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 11:15am On Jul 08, 2012
saxywale:

what if they are interviewed by someone from Liverpool, Newcastle or Scotland ...lol

EXACTLY my point. the first time I heard the Newcastle geordie accent, goosh!! I thought it was french they were speaking grin grin grin grin grin grin. it took me over 3mnths to adjust to that geordie accent. grin grin grin grin.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by KINGwax(m): 11:18am On Jul 08, 2012
Billyonaire: Why do people go to Britain apart from vacation and tourism ? That country is not innovative. Its like a retired City. Its not a market place like China or Turkey
another overpriced country like dt in africa is ghana. Biliv me
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by mrkels(m): 11:20am On Jul 08, 2012
Thinking of doing masters there, does this mean I should bone it and think of another alternative?
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by norrisman: 11:22am On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

they have pulled the trigger on themselves! besides increasing maintenance fees, the cancellation of PSW will discourage MANY students. no student is willing to part with over £20,000 [5mil] and be turned away just like that after the programme without the 2yr opportunity/grace to get a job, garner some useful experiences and prolly make some cash. it shows how self-centred the UK is. they are only interested in milking others without giving anything in return. how I wish this rule was in place before I came. grin grin grin grin. I go siddon for house.

It depends on your definition of the word STUDENT. When I came to the UK to study just 10 years ago, there was nothing like PSW, HSMP, Fresh Talent (Scotland), Tier 1 e.t.c, it was just something called SEGS (for engineering graduates) and the employer sponsored work permit but myself and hundreds of thousands of others still came in search of quality education.

If your main reason for coming to the UK is to get a PSW visa or work during term time, then maybe you are not really coming here for the education. Regardless of what the UKBA do, hundreds of thousands of prospective students from all over the world will still flock to their nearest High Commission or Embassy in search of that student visa.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Vergil: 11:28am On Jul 08, 2012
justwise:

You really have problem with your little self, what is all these rants all about? Those cities i pointed out to you have a large number of Asians hence in a way agreeing with you that if you live in those cities it will feel as if you live in India.

Guy is hating! Leave him!
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by BUSHMAN1: 11:29am On Jul 08, 2012
r231:

Lol

I am ready

East Ham, West Ham! Uptown Park , barking ETC ETC grin grin grin full of Asian pple
you forgot green street,white chapel,and bethnal green
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Ndata(m): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2012
@Afrokarma
So you are saying in essence that people should not go to Britain to study and earn degrees that are better respected in Nigeria than the sham ones doled out in the billions of glorified high schools masquerading as universities in Nigeria.
So people should go and study in "market places" like China and Turkey.The post has nothing to do with vacation or tourism. I don't think you understand the word "study",so if you like;get a "market place" degree from China or Turkey and apply for jobs in Nigeria with your "market place" degree against someone with a degree from Britain and see who gets the job.

I think you are the one who had a problem understanding what the guy said.He was simply referring to the so called "bogus" students who don't have prove of admission into Uk universities and can't speak English.Its obvious that those guys are going to Uk to hustle.So,the guy was saying that China and Turkey would have been a better destination for such guys.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 11:32am On Jul 08, 2012
norrisman:

It depends on your definition of the word STUDENT. When I came to the UK to study just 10 years ago, there was nothing like PSW, HSMP, Fresh Talent (Scotland), Tier 1 e.t.c, it was just something called SEGS (for engineering graduates) and the employer sponsored work permit but myself and hundreds of thousands of others still came in search of quality education.

If one's main reason for coming to the UK was to get a PSW or work during term time, then maybe they are not really oming here for the education. Regardless of what the UKBA do, hundreds of thousands of prospective studenst from all over the world will still flock to their nearest High Commission or Embassy in search of that student visa.

a critical analysis of your comment shows that you speak for yourself. hence the first person singular ''I'' in bold font. let's speak in this context with respect to the generality of students [particularly the average Nigerian student]. we are all aware of how Nigerian employers hanker about experience, and talking about experience, who wouldn't appreciate the chance to add a UK experience with reputable institutions to their CV's. if you are in the UK for a PG Degree in banking for instance, a 2yr post qualification experience with leading financial institutions [e.g Llyods Tsb, Barclay's, or HSBC] wouldn't be a bad idea. the same goes for other fields. In as much as some students [like you] are ready to come, pick up a certificate and zoom off once their certificates are handed to them [some dont even mind the certificates being mailed to them in their home country], very many others are more than willing to wait and gain knowledge relevant to their qualification. really, it's the whole essence of that international exposure and may likely enhance the chances of getting a good offer when you are back to your home country.

the way employers pant about experience 10yrs ago isn't the same today. 10yrs ago, while they may be willing to waive the experience part of it or be less rigid about it, today, they insist INTRANSIGENTLY about experience. so, why would a student who has been searching for a job and has not been successful because he's always been turned away in the name of 'experience' want to gather so much funds, advance his academics [possibly to enhance employability], chose not to capitalise on that 2 yrs PSW to add the much needed experience? PSW remains a main motivation.

2 Likes

Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by yankidelta(m): 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2012
[quote author=Billyonaire]Why do people go to Britain apart from vacation and tourism ? That country is not innovative. Its like a retired City. Its not a market place like China or Turkey[/quote

Few reasons
1.Colonial ties
2.Language
3.Family ties(a lot of us have relatives there)
4.Education(perceived high standards)
5.Ignorance
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by solomonwis(m): 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2012
@Pato405,you have spoken well...I'm right behind you! You deserve an award for your last mention!
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by norrisman: 12:21pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

a critical analysis of your comment shows that you speak for yourself. hence the first person singular ''I'' in bold font. let's speak in this context with respect to the generality of students [particularly the average Nigerian student]. we are all aware of how Nigerian employers hanker about experience, and talking about experience, who wouldn't appreciate the chance to add a UK experience with reputable institutions to their CV's. if you are in the UK for a PG Degree in banking for instance, a 2yr post qualification experience with leading financial institutions [e.g Llyods Tsb, Barclay's, or HSBC] wouldn't be a bad idea. the same goes for other fields. In as much as some students [like you] are ready to come, pick up a certificate and zoom off once their certificates are handed to them [some dont even mind the certificates being mailed to them in their home country], very many others are more than willing to wait and gain knowledge relevant to their qualification. really, it's the whole essence of that international exposure and may likely enhance the chances of getting a good offer when you are back to your home country.

the way employers pant about experience 10yrs ago isn't the same today. 10yrs ago, while they may be willing to waive the experience part of it or be less rigid about it, today, they insist INTRANSIGENTLY about experience. so, why would a student who has been searching for a job and has not been successful because he's always been turned away in the name of 'experience' want to gather so much funds, advance his academics [possibly to enhance employability], chose not to capitalise on that 2 yrs PSW to add the much needed experience? PSW remains a main motivation.

How many countries offer you the chance to get this experience you talk about on a platter of gold i.e. PSW and the likes? Definitely not the US, not even immigrant friendly Canada. You have to work hard for it in places like the US (and now the UK)where you may get lucky to find an employer wishing to sponsor you. If as someone quoted, 300,000 student visas were handed out last year are you saying those 300,000 thousand should have unchecked access to the job market when they graduate without consideration for the settled population, during a recession ?
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2012
norrisman:

How many countries offer you the chance to get this experience you talk about on a platter of gold i.e. PSW and the likes? Definitely not the US, not even immigrant friendly Canada. You have to work hard for it in places like the US (and now the UK)where you may get lucky to find an employer wishing to sponsor you. If as someone quoted, 300,000 student visas were handed out last year are you saying those 300,000 thousand should have unchecked access to the job market when they graduate without consideration for the settled population, during a recession ?

I'm enjoying your argument. but it beats me that you are in support of the cancellation of PSW and their unfriendly inconsistencies with student visas. it has always been about students, students and students. WHY? anyway,I wish we could have an opportunity to debate about this face-to-face because NL pages won't contain my in-depth explanations grin grin. these guys are smart and their targets are mainly African students.it's all a conspiracy. you and I are fully aware that over 60-80% [conservatively] of students who stay behind for PSW are African students and may be Indian students . many Chinese students [who also form the bulk of their revenue] are not usually keen on part-time work while studying or post study work. hence, they can have their cake and eat it by mainly recruiting Chinese students and others who are willing to come in with loads of money and leave immediately rather than those who'll be willing to pay and stay behind for two years. this, they believe will not only cut down on the back-log of students staying behind, it will also help them cut down on their responsibility to afford these students an opportunity for employment particularly in recession times like these when some competent foreign students jostle for limited employment spaces with their own home students. so, the strategy is bring them in annually, let them pay the exorbitant tuition fees and let them leave immediately. that yields lots of money annually and also leaves spaces for employment for their own home-students. although employment rules favours home graduates and EU nationals, there are clauses that support recruitment of non-EU members but this strategy will obviate such clauses and make the coast entirely devoid of foreign students. it's a win-win situation for them.

secondly, other countries you mentioned - US and Canada..e.t.c are not these stringent with students staying behind after studies. UK is one hot-spot because tuition is sometimes more affordable and duration of PG courses are shorter. the PSW even makes it more attractive..alas, now, they have decided to take the patronage of foreign nationals/students for granted and I'm sure it's a decision they'll not only rescind soon [because they've been consistently inconsistent with student visa regulations], they'll regret it. as if those who gain employment from PSW don't pay the 33% tax and contribute more money to their economy.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by norrisman: 1:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
pato405:

I'm enjoying your argument. but it beats me that you are in support of the cancellation of PSW and their unfriendly inconsistencies with student visas. it has always been about students, students and students. WHY? anyway,I wish we could have an opportunity to debate about this face-to-face because NL pages won't contain my in-depth explanations grin grin. these guys are smart and their targets are mainly African students.it's all a conspiracy. you and I are fully aware that over 60-80% [conservatively] of students who stay behind for PSW are African students and may be Indian students . many Chinese students [who also form the bulk of their revenue] are not usually keen on part-time work while studying or post study work. hence, they can have their cake and eat it by mainly recruiting Chinese students and others who are willing to come in with loads of money and leave immediately rather than those who'll be willing to pay and stay behind for two years. this, they believe will not only cut down on the back-log of students staying behind, it will also help them cut down on their responsibility to afford these students an opportunity for employment particularly in recession times like these when some competent foreign students jostle for limited employment spaces with their own home students. so, the strategy is bring them in annually, let them pay the exorbitant tuition fees and let them leave immediately. that yields lots of money annually and also leaves spaces for employment for their own home-students. although employment rules favours home graduates and EU nationals, there are clauses that support recruitment of non-EU members but this strategy will obviate such clauses and make the coast entirely devoid of foreign students. it's a win-win situation for them.

secondly, other countries you mentioned - US and Canada..e.t.c are not these stringent with students staying behind after studies. UK is one hot-spot because tuition is sometimes more affordable and duration of PG courses are shorter. the PSW even makes it more attractive..alas, now, they have decided to take the patronage of foreign nationals/students for granted and I'm sure it's a decision they'll not only rescind soon [because they've been consistently inconsistent with student visa regulations], they'll regret it. as if those who gain employment from PSW don't pay the 33% tax and contribute more money to their economy.

I am not in support of the cancellation but I am just looking at it objectively. One thing I definitely do not agree with is the moving of the goal posts by the UKBA for people like yourself who came to the country with the belief that they would be able to get some work experience at the end of their studies only to find out later that they cant.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by pato405(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2012
norrisman:

I am not in support of the cancellation but I am just looking at it objectively. One thing I definitely do not agree with is the moving of the goal posts by the UKBA for people like yourself who came to the country with the belief that they would be able to get some work experience at the end of their studies only to find out later that they cant.

I was qualified to apply for PSW but didn't because I got a PG research privilege after PG Maters. hence, I had to go for tier-4 extension. smiley. but, i won't deny coming with that intention to gain some experience after PG taught Masters. However, events changed and rather than going for the experience, I had to make a turn for something else entirely - PG research. I strongly believe there are many out there who also nurse that intention/plan to work after studies before going back. I will advice that if you DO NOT have a ready made job back home [e.g on study leave], or if you need a UK job to recover some of your investment on your studies - DO NOT COME TO THE UK!!! it's a WRONG destination for you except you want to just get a certificate and return to your country. talk of knowledge or quality of educaton, DONT let that be the basis of your sentiments for preferring UK. there are many schools all over the world where you can gain same if not better knowledge and be allowed to explore further - US, Canada, Australia, Germany, Netherland etc. except your passion for Cambridge, Oxford, UCL,LSE, Warrick and co is just so unfathomable that ALL you want is to grab one of their kpali and run back home to continue your job or continue your search, DONT dare come an inch closer.

ma 2 penny.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Legalplayerz: 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2012
The UK government will not make much money like before,and the universities will feel the pain too. It's time for students to look at other countries.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by IYANGBALI: 2:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
Chaydee: Lobatan! cheesy cheesy
omo loba pari o,END OF DISCUSSION.
Re: UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students by Elueme: 2:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
The UK authority should first look inwards for the numerous bogus institutions giving bogus admissions to bogus students.. Then they can come let's dialogue.. For now it's their flicking headaches

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Qatar Airways To Start Operations In Enugu, Kano, Port Harcourt Airports / First International Flight Set To Be Receved At Kaduna Airport This Morning.PICS / Vulture Stalking Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.