Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,477 members, 7,819,739 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage (9582 Views)

Why Men Should Only Do Traditional Marriage / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by martin123: 4:04pm On Jul 08, 2012
Hell house, I am preparing for my traditional marriage, and I want to know who takes responsibility for the reception, is it me or the family of my wife to be?? Please I want serious minded people to answer the question, not the children in NL

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Dimples316(f): 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
From where I come from the bride's family takes responsibility for the reception and in my opinion that's the way it should be any where else because they (the bride & her family) are receiving visitors who should be warmly received and well catered for.

I mean think about it, when you get news that a relative or friend would like to visit or is coming to visit at a set date you usually would go out of your way to welcome them and make their stay a pleasant one, either by stocking up your kitchen with food or your refridgerator with drinks, renewing your Dstv subscription etc.

I don't see why it should be any different with a traditional marriage, after all you are going to be milked dry so they may as well host & treat you well while they rip you off. No offence meant though

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Dimples316(f): 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2012
Reading through my first post I realize there might be a chance of me being misunderstood so please note that, you are essentially responsible for providing what the elders/in-laws to be, ask of you before they give their daughter out in marriage.

You and your folks are visitors, visiting with an intent and for a purpose. The bride and her family on the other hand have a responsibility to see that these visitors are received warmly and treated well. That's what I mean by the bride's family being responsible for the reception.

Going by the topic of your thread, I would say a man is largely responsible for making a traditional marriage happen.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by isalegan2: 2:15am On Jul 09, 2012
martin123: Hell house, I am preparing for my traditional marriage, and I want to know who takes responsibility for the reception, is it me or the family of my wife to be?? Please I want serious minded people to answer the question, not the children in NL

In almost all societies in the world, including African groups, the bride's family is responsible for wedding preparations and party expenses. The groom is merely responsible for the bride price and the gifts requested by the bride's parents. So, the bride's family will pay for the Reception.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.
1) Some couples already share responsibilities and if the man is more financially able, the groom will often give his fiancee the money she will give her parents to help with the party expenses; Conversely, some brides will help their fiance pay for some expenses, although, it is a general belief, that a bride should never help the man pay for the bridal price or gifts. (she can help him pay for other things, like lending him money to give his family for car rental or other extraneous expenses not directly involving the actual bride price and gifts.)
2) There was a thread on here where some of the princesses of NL swore up and down they would never lift a finger or donate a penny to assist in paying for their wedding - some said it's their culture - that the man pay for every expense of the wedding. It's not that way in mine, so I cannot verify it.

Bottomline, I would check with your people what your tradition and culture dictate. Since it is for the 'traditional' wedding, I'm sure you want to stick to the real cultural traditions of her culture and yours. From my personal observation, you, being the man really have nothing to worry about. Women, especially the bride's mother (along with your mom and fiancee) will love to do A to Z of the wedding preparation. cool All you have to do is send some bread to your mom every couple of weeks before the big day. lol. cheesy

Congratulations! smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by xyloxloto(m): 4:14am On Jul 09, 2012
brides family is responsible for the traditional
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by blank(f): 9:10am On Jul 09, 2012
Where i am from, the man provides the money, while the bride's family uses it to do the party/reception. Sometimes, the bride's family is nice and takes up more responsibilities but its not compulsory.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 09, 2012
Oga carry your family go meet your inlaws make una discuss am now, abi na for nairaland you wan do the wedding. i tire for some people cool

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by tasandra: 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
Op,all the comments,are correct.ur brides family..
u only need to give them money,4 the cookin and all other thins smileyhappy married life.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
From what I know, it's the bride's family - but our culture has been bastardized.. grin

Traditional marriage is boring anyway, I don't have time for all that funky celebration. undecided
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex: From what I know, it's the bride's family - but our culture has been bastardized.. grin

Traditional marriage is boring anyway, I don't have time for all that funky celebration. undecided
So says a British Nigerian. Na trditional wedding dey sweet pass.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by ronkebp(f): 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
afam4eva:

Gbam...i can't imagine a wedding without the traditional aspect, it will be so boring!!!!!
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
martin123: Hell house, I am preparing for my traditional marriage, and I want to know who takes responsibility for the reception, is it me or the family of my wife to be?? Please I want serious minded people to answer the question, not the children in NL
Stupid Question from a very intelligent person. grin
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Onyejonchi: 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2012
The husband to be is financially responsible for traditional wedding. That is why the family of the wife to be give u long list which u must provide earlier b4 the wedding date to enable them prepare 4 their visitors.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
Till today i despise my in laws for refusing to bring the money for food and drink during my trad. Marriage. Where I come from the man gives the girl's parents money for the preps necessarry, but they refused to do it. If you really love the person you are marrying better do things their way, else she will resent your family for it if they were the ones that influenced that decision.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by 27naira(m): 5:21pm On Jul 09, 2012

Niiiga pay up! stop shying away from dropping the dough. grin

Where i come from, the groom pays to the last cent! shey na you wan marry?? undecided

Congrats! aka gum.. cheesy
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by manny4life(m): 5:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
ronkebp:

Gbam...i can't imagine a wedding without the traditional aspect, it will be so boring!!!!!

Lol, did you just use the word; "One of the things that annoy him on Nairaland"... grin grin grin

@OP, idk because I'm not married...Ask your in-laws to be.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
Oooooooo
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2012
afam4eva:

All their time wasting antics isn't really my thing.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by zeklng(m): 5:29pm On Jul 09, 2012
the in law to be ....but u, as a human being will buy food stuff and ingredent and send to them for the preparation....because i remember my uncle buying cow meat,bags of rice,other things then
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by kemioo77(f): 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2012
From where I come from,the bride's family is responsible for the traditional wedding but if ur wife to be family is not that wealthy,I think it will be better to support them financially and u can only do that through their daughter.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by ebamma(m): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
guy you are about to pay ransom to the bride family
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2012
Ogbeni Op, which version do u want out of over 250 ethnic groups n 9ja. Se u no knw say diff cultures get dem diff styles. Hence d replies u r getting. Now dat pple don give u diff views. Oya chose all of dem.
& 2 ur topic, y u dy ask us ds kind questn wen d answer s right dr n ur skull!

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by CY09: 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
@ OP, i think bringing such issue to social forum worsens the whole issue. I suggest you ask your wife to be what is obtainable in their custom. If after that, i guess you will know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by sakaba(m): 6:11pm On Jul 09, 2012
Man all u gotta do is ask ur wife to be, dumbass!
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Cwhyte(m): 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2012
U don't nid to abuse the guy, he asked a simple question.

My take is:
First, say discuss it with your wife.
Secondly, I think the bride's parent should be responsible for some of the reception items (food, drinks, venue, chairs and musicals) and the groom's family should provide all d items on d long list including things like: cake, renting cars, video coverage and some money sha to assist the bride's family.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 09, 2012
sakaba: Man all u gotta do is ask ur wife to be, dumbass!
Stupid cuck sucker... What's wrong with the BACK button on your browser? Dumbass!
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by dayokanu(m): 7:12pm On Jul 09, 2012
In my side of the country that is in Yorubaland, the wife's family is responsible for the traditional wedding expenses, WHile the groom brings the gift
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by sholavick(f): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
[quote author=Billy[quote][/quote]onaire] Stupid Question from a very intelligent person.

Sholavick(quote)
@ Billynaire you don't have to abuse him,he has just asked a simple question. Well to be candid its always good to assist your wife's to be family financially for the preparation even if you were not asked,you should try and discuss with ur woman and know where they would be needing your help. During mine my hubby rendered some assistance despite all they were required to bring. Its proves to the parent that you are responsible which earns you a lot of respect from them, even if it was their duty to provide all.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Sike(m): 9:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
991: Oga carry your family go meet your inlaws make una discuss am now, abi na for nairaland you wan do the wedding. i tire for some people cool
Take it easy now.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by Aringon(m): 1:56am On Jul 10, 2012
Bros u r the one to give money to your wife to prepare for the drinks, food and gbogbue, don't shy away from it and let your family come with their food too in the booths of the cars in case there is shortage frm ur inlaw
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by pat077: 9:46am On Jul 10, 2012
just discuss wit ur inlaw.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Traditional Marriage by vxtr(m): 1:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
27naira:

Niiiga pay up! stop shying away from dropping the dough. grin

Where i come from, the groom pays to the last cent! shey na you wan marry?? undecided

Congrats! aka gum.. cheesy
hahahhaahhhaha some of dis nairaland pikin go finish person wit laughter. U no suppose abuse d guy naw.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pregnant For A Yoruba Man. I Am African American. HELP!! / Is Courtship Before Marriage Important? / Boy Or Girl, Which Is Preferable As Your First Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.