Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions (5780 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Why Do Nigerians Love Titles So Much? / Igbo's Start Planning/Actions And Stop Talking Too Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by RIchibabe(f): 3:21pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Prayer can never give anyone money. Prayer is a medium of personal spiritual growth and not for physical or financial growth. If you pray to God to give you money, you are bound to die poor. Money is a reward for hardwork, smartwork, enterprise mindset and strategy. Praying for money is illusion and self-deceit. It doesnt work.
Have u forgotten that the same God said that IF we ask ANYTHING in his name he will do it, matt;7v7
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by emmanbol: 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Some of us re wrong here pls. Yes we need to work hard. Prayer or church or christianity as d case may be is not only for material things but also and majorly for spiritual edification and spiritual growth. Prayer mortifies our flesh to hear God, it saves us when no logical tin or human law av been expended. Christians are in this world but not of this world. There re laid down success princple in this world that u can engage urself and u wil make it onthis world. What is ur hope of hereafter, ur stand as far as salvation is concerned, your manner to fellow human being and ur relationship with others. We pray to enforce his will on earth and to make it home. I love prayer that is seasoned with the word of God especialy
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Chiopatra: 3:52pm On Jul 12, 2012
So Agiliti you prefer a very harsh God whom when you sin he shows no mercy.But direct sudden violence,except you offer a sacrifice to him.You dont like the direct communication and friendship given to you?pls dear appreciate what you have.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by stagger: 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
Agiliti: I think it's mainly caused by christianity, the bible is a very wise book, but somethings just don't make sense to me in it. How can one man who is supposed to be all powerful be beaten and crucified by his enemies and instead of showing them his true power, all he does is to forgive them for they don't know what they're doing?? but the same person can resurrect lazarus, heal the sick, make food from thin air, and even walk on water. In a place like Naija, the new testament does more harm than good and exalts weakness. at least the old testament was better with a no nonsense God

If you preferred the old testament way of doing things, none of us here would be alive, especially when you remember how in days gone by, we would use the 10kobo given us for offering in Sunday school to buy chewing gum or ice cream, or we use swear words and take God's name in vain, or how we lie and cheat and blaspheme the name of God, or how we have at one time or another broken the 10 commandments repeatedly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Biggysmalls919(m): 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yea, but they are too fanatical. Despite all the worship centres in every nuke & cranny d country is still not moving fward
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2012
Na 2daaaay!!!
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 12, 2012
I have nothing against prayers or praying, let's just say I've never really understood why you need God to solve man made problems undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Fhemmmy: 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
naijababe: I have nothing against prayers or praying, let's just say I've never really understood why you need God to solve man made problems undecided

Cos sometimes, you made some problem cos we are limited in some ways . . . And God being Who He is, is always willing to give us a better chance BUT only if we call Him into the situation via prayers
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by blackborn7(m): 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2012
bisi16: Coz Nigerians are lazy and always waiting 4 d "God factor" to do everything 4 dem.. B4 exec meetn, Jonah go pray, even tho him know say muslims dey there. Hav u eva seen Obama or Cameron pray b4 a meetn? Even tho Christianity is d major language. Its best I stop here b4 I talk plenty out of vexation.
thanks to ur no6 askin u to stop purging out ur ignorance.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by blackborn7(m): 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2012
bisi16: Coz Nigerians are lazy and always waiting 4 d "God factor" to do everything 4 dem.. B4 exec meetn, Jonah go pray, even tho him know say muslims dey there. Hav u eva seen Obama or Cameron pray b4 a meetn? Even tho Christianity is d major language. Its best I stop here b4 I talk plenty out of vexation.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2012
@ Fhemmy, Nigeria is only the place on earth where people expect to pick manna in their living rooms. I was taught to believe that heaven helps those who help themselves.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by fesse(f): 4:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yes we have to put our Creator first but we fail to do the right things.

We are always using organized nations as examples. What makes them organized? They have respect for the law than religion. When the law is being respected, then we will pray less. The Bible says Obedience is better than sacrifice.

We pray so much and had because we don't give a dam to the LAW of the land. Respect the law and free yourself from crimes and much prayer.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Isaleeko2: 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
We all see the way the miracle and signs and wonder churches are filled to the brim every Sunday. It is in the nature of Nigerians to look for quick fixes without the hard work. A lot of Nigerians have a sense of entitlement and the mantra of the average Nigerian is ise kekere, owo nla (means small work, big money). You see the symptoms all around you, everywhere you go. People pray, go for job interviews then end up doing the job shabbily with poor customer service. This gets worsened by miracle testimonies of people who sit down at home and then someone brought money for them out of nowhere; they then go to church and give testimonies and the Pastor (mini-gods) tell them if they pray the same miracle will happen if they bring half of their salaries to support the prayer.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by buJu234: 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
thats the main reason why they say in church pray 4 Nigeria; i dont waste my time...

because IS GOD DEAF?

JUST IMAGINE THE OVER 10MILLIONS CHRISTIANS PRAYING FOR NIGERIA FOR THE PAST 10YRS FOR NIGERIA;
SO IS GOD DEAF; IS HE SO WICKED?

THAT HE CANT HEAR US....

OK IF ITS because OF OUR SINS; PEOPLE LIKE KUMUYIs ETC; ARE THEY STILL SINNERS ALSO................??

its high time; christians wake up to the reality of life..

in the book of James; it said it all.....

FAITH WITHOUT WORK IS DEATH.

go to Ukraine; go and see what a Nigerian pastor; Sunday Adelaja did? how he motivated his congregation and there was an uprising that change
the countries life forever ( Atleast we saw the country in Euro 2012.

The US blacks still talk abt Martin Luther King; of how he & his congregation change the inequality in the US...
etc

BUT WHAT ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS DOING.... nothing... but buying big big cars; answering big big titles etc....

lets b real;

If ADEBOYE (G.O) OF REDEEM; BISHOP OYEDEPO OF WINNERS; CHRIS OYAKILOME OF CHRIST EMBASSY; KUMUYI OF DEEPER LIFE; OLUKOYA OF MOUNTAIN OF FIRE; CATHOLIC CHURCH & ANGLICAN CHURCH...

can jst tell their members; to stage a one week protest against corruption; and the Muslims did same...

I tell u the truth; the change that we have been praying 4 decades will show within weeks...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by fesse(f): 4:36pm On Jul 12, 2012
Biggysmalls919: Yea, but they are too fanatical. Despite all the worship centers in every nuke & cranny d country is still not moving fward

It is because both pastors, Imams and their members refused to do the right things. They don't have regard for the Law of the land.

A pastor will preach against abortion, rubbery, fornication, etc to his congregation during church services but will impregnate a church member and abort it secretly, collect bribe, speak evil of other faiths and churches and at the same time mandate his followers to pray had against the devil.

Yes we will not relent in prayers but there are human created errors we don't need God to do for us, we have to correct it ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by BRUNO17: 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
We Nigerians are hypocrites!!! We are the most religious country in the world and yet the most corrupt in the world, with no self repect for one another. I live in the UK and wat I obsevered was the white have learnt long time age how to seprate reality from religion. This can be found in how their society operates. A society where the rule of law is upheld strongly and the respect of their fellow citizens is at the highest.

Religion is one of the biggest factor holding Africa back, we need to learn how to sepreate reality from religion and be more proactive than being complasant and expecting God to do everything for us. Even in the bible King David will pray and ask God for victory b4 he goes to war. And when he goes vistory is his, he did no wait for God to fight his wars.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by bisi16(m): 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2012
blackborn7: thanks to ur no6 askin u to stop purging out ur ignorance.

It is ur type dat is holding dis country hostage... Imbe.cile!
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by ernestleon(m): 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: To become a billionaire, you must work as if there is no God......
I wonder how much money you have made
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by pecopeco: 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2012
cool ACTION
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Roland17(m): 5:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
Even in the act of commiting treacherous acts Nigerians pray!!!!

Our leaders pray the economy never improves, so that corruption, embezzlement and mismanagement of tax payers money continues.

Students pray they succeed in their exams through all forms of Malpractice.

Robbers/kidnappers pray they are succesful in their God forbidden trade.

Pastors and many religious clerics continue to pray for robbers, killers, fraudsters etal to have more rainbows in their sky so they can give more offering and tithe.

Athletes/beauty queens continously falsify their ages and pray feverently to the same God i pray to so as not to be caught.

Super Chickens always pray they defeat opponents without any form of training or commitment.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by AzaMontana(f): 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
I actually used to respect this country because i saw that we love and know Jehova who is the creator of heaven and earth. Believe it or not Poster but you were also created by the Lord who today you wonder why we pray. I am ashamed of someof the comment i see here. Are you people satanic? how can you say all these bad things about prayer? who said when we pray we do not work hard 2. This post is very stupid because i personal blv i would not survive without prayer. I worship the lord day in day out and i will continue to honour and adore Jehova, I will continue to work hard too because you can not separate the 2.I can survive without prayer and i cant survive without smart / hard work and you can not question the 2. Praying and believing God for a miracle is not being lazy. Yol are too demonic man.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by marvel10: 6:15pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yes, Naijas love to pray too much. I think Ppl would be more productive if they prayed less and worked harder or even applied more common sense to everyday situations.
I find it shocking that grown men and women flock to church to nod to someone say 1 + 1 is 2. It is bloody 2 and has always been 2. There is very little revealed each Sunday and yet ppl don't see religion as a money fleecing movement. My love for God has little to do with any pastor.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by igbo2011(m): 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
Shuffering and smiling mentality. We as a people are too religious.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2012
Faith without work is dead,says Bible.
realcele: It is simple because nigerians dont read the bible but the pastors. The bible say watch and pray math 26:41 i.e action, shine your eyes and then pray, deal with the physical then ask God spiritual assistants.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by BUSHMAN1: 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2012
nigerians are hypocrites on the way home from church they will take bribe even though they just prayed to GOD to stop corruption
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Olaone1: 9:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
naijababe: @ Fhemmy, Nigeria is only the place on earth where people expect to pick manna in their living rooms. I was taught to believe that heaven helps those who help themselves.

naijababe: I have nothing against prayers or praying, let's just say I've never really understood why you need God to solve man made problems undecided
Always on point, that's my babiest babe
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by dasparrow: 9:52pm On Jul 12, 2012
all4naija:

Now, why do Nigerians love to pray more than to act?

Nigerians love to pray more than to act because most of them are hypocrites of the highest order. I am personally not against prayers. As a matter of fact, the bible encourages believers in Christ to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). However, the same bible also says that prayer without works is dead. So in other words, if you sit there praying all day and not going out to work hard to earn a living, then don't expect manna to fall from heaven. God helps those who make a conscientious effort to help themselves.

Most Nigerians worship their pastors and not the Almighty Jehovah God. They worship religion and do not take time out to establish an intimate relationship with Christ Jesus. They crowd churches on sundays and mosques on fridays yet the average Nigerian is a shameless bigot! If most Nigerians are not treating you in a discriminatory manner due to tribal difference, then they will discriminate against you due to religious differences. If it is not due to religious differences, then it is due to gender differences or due to marital status. Nigerians are only 'kind' to foreigners since the average Nigerian suffers from severe inferiority complex and low self esteem. And then you wonder why all the praying that Nigerians do has still not gotten our country anywhere. If anything, Nigeria has and continues to get worse. Go figure.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by ndigbo: 10:32pm On Jul 12, 2012
This has beaten me, up to my marrow.
In the face of all odds that we can think of, we Nigerians would rather pray than act !
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by manmustwac(m): 10:38pm On Jul 12, 2012
Can prayers move mountains? Can prayers make amputated limbs grow back? Has prayers ever helped any country to progress? Since the obvious country to all these questions is NO! Why waste your time with pointless prayers.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Emioga: 1:52am On Jul 13, 2012
This is the real reason i have stuck to IFA.i have no regrets (i am always at peace)so sue me
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Obijulius: 5:27am On Jul 13, 2012

Ur post smacks of foolishness and chronic inferiority complex. So us and uk cabinet are now a global model for every other meeting.clearly u spoke out of vexation, even without thinking.

Think with ur head and not with your fingers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tiv People Are People From East African Descent / What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? / Do We Still Have Some Communities In Igbo Land Still Eats Humans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.