Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,917 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! (10173 Views)

Lady Who Slept With Her Bosses For Promotion Cries Out / Hilarious Relationship Between Workers And Their Bosses(pic) / Our Male Bosses Punish Us For Refusing Their Sexual Advances: Policewomen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by Trinity213: 12:42am On Jul 14, 2012
i use to have a sadist as a boss, he was so emotionally abusive but i tolerated him because my fellow hods were always standing up for me but he used my absence due to bed rest because of a multiple pregnancy to blackmail me before my colleagues and shortlisted my name for downsizing, even though it was against the wishes of other management staff he went ahead to forward my name to our head office, i was laid off my job when i was still in the hospital after undergoing cs for the birth of my beautiful triplet. my crime was that i was not the one he wanted to head my department despite the fact that i was more qualified so he tried frustrating me.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 12:54am On Jul 14, 2012
Trinity213: i use to have a sadist as a boss, he was so emotionally abusive but i tolerated him because my fellow hods were always standing up for me but he used my absence due to bed rest because of a multiple pregnancy to blackmail me before my colleagues and shortlisted my name for downsizing, even though it was against the wishes of other management staff he went ahead to forward my name to our head office, i was laid off my job when i was still in the hospital after undergoing cs for the birth of my beautiful triplet. my crime was that i was not the one he wanted to head my department despite the fact that i was more qualified so he tried frustrating me.

Your story touches the very depth θf my sympathetic soul! I am moved by most θf the experiences shared on this thread to do something beyond offering words θf encouragement via posts on NL. This abuses, harrassments and oppression in the work place has got to end!
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by FriendMark(m): 2:25am On Jul 14, 2012
It can be so fustrating...
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by Afodot0022(m): 9:15am On Jul 14, 2012
i work in a bank where 90 percent of staff re on contract.my boss was so abusive verbally. Calls u name like u are useless, akuko, c ur dam life ,olodo etc. He tries to take issues from no issue. Am just feedup of him and cant wait to leave cos my contract ends by nov. IT student in banks are treated like slaves and no regards for them.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by gbokukueba(m): 9:34am On Jul 14, 2012
I do not want o derail this trail but from a HR professional point of view, people that have suffered some form of emotional torture by the bosses end up doing worse when the occupy such positions.

You will be a boss soon if you are not one already what will people say about you? I always regarded myself as the coolest boss anyone can wish for until i had one NYSC girl work with me and for the 10 months or so she cried in front of me like 3 times when i complain about some of her deliverables.

I stumbled on her twitter post about me where she described me as evil and all sort of unprintable names even though i didn't confront her, i just realize i might be doing this things and not being self aware.

My advise if you find yourself in such situation take time to confront your boss and let them understand that what they are doing is hurting your morale, i will advise you do this outside the office.

If things remain the same then know that only Jesus can save you!!!

1 Like

Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by kakaG: 10:08am On Jul 14, 2012
The truth is that its thesame everywhere. The only difference is the degree at which this wicked attitude is manifested.
My story is not too far from what I have read from you all today.
You see, I worked for a company from 2009 to 2010 when I had to throw in the towel for fear of being permanently damaged emotionally. At that time, I was called every useless thing just because I got the job through my elder brother who is highly placed. The fact is that the MD didn't let me work well because I took over some accounts formerly handled by his mistress, a colleague also and so he made sure he made me suffer. To him, nothing was ever right about me and so he called me names like lazy, dumb, stupid etc this information soon got to the chairman and CEO of the coy who was already looking for ways to cut down on his marketers and he asked what the so called MD what his intention was concerning the dept. And o
My name and a fellow colleague were penclled down for termination. But for the immediate intervention of my brother, I would have been sacked. I got another offer in the heat of the moment and moved on.

This is my present story.

The CEO of my former coy knew he would loose the connection to my brother so he wanted me back but I was not forth coming so he did the worst.

My new bo$$ was his MD too. He liked me and trusted my judgment when I resumed but when he visited my old coy, the CEO fed him with what his MD told him about me years ago. From that moment to this moment as I make my report we have been fighting. Not physically, but technically. I ‎​​A̶̲̥̅♏ a very experienced marketer with contacts in my industry, but because my former coy has spread lots of trash about me here and there it is almost impossible to achieve anything.

My bo$$ on ther other hand calls me names like fool, empty brain, lazy man, etc.

The truth is that this is gradually making me loose confidence in my self and it is begining to tell and show on the job. I almost no longer trust my own judgment anymore. I make avoidable mistakes for fear of being called names.

The good news is that I intend to leave prety soon.

Thanks.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2012
gbokukueba: I do not want o derail this trail but from a HR professional point of view, people that have suffered some form of emotional torture by the bosses end up doing worse when the occupy such positions.

You will be a boss soon if you are not one already what will people say about you? I always regarded myself as the coolest boss anyone can wish for until i had one NYSC girl work with me and for the 10 months or so she cried in front of me like 3 times when i complain about some of her deliverables.

I stumbled on her twitter post about me where she described me as evil and all sort of unprintable names even though i didn't confront her, i just realize i might be doing this things and not being self aware.

My advise if you find yourself in such situation take time to confront your boss and let them understand that what they are doing is hurting your morale, i will advise you do this outside the office.

If things remain the same then know that only Jesus can save you!!!

There is nothing wrong with criticizing your employees or subordinates, just ensure that the criticism is constructive. Focus on needful things, make the necessary correction without tearing down the person's image! I do not believe that you could be a bad boss and not know it, except you have become so conceited that you are blind to your actions.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 11:03am On Jul 14, 2012
kaka G: The truth is that its thesame everywhere. The only difference is the degree at which this wicked attitude is manifested.
My story is not too far from what I have read from you all today.
You see, I worked for a company from 2009 to 2010 when I had to throw in the towel for fear of being permanently damaged emotionally. At that time, I was called every useless thing just because I got the job through my elder brother who is highly placed. The fact is that the MD didn't let me work well because I took over some accounts formerly handled by his mistress, a colleague also and so he made sure he made me suffer. To him, nothing was ever right about me and so he called me names like lazy, dumb, stupid etc this information soon got to the chairman and CEO of the coy who was already looking for ways to cut down on his marketers and he asked what the so called MD what his intention was concerning the dept. And o
My name and a fellow colleague were penclled down for termination. But for the immediate intervention of my brother, I would have been sacked. I got another offer in the heat of the moment and moved on.

This is my present story.

The CEO of my former coy knew he would loose the connection to my brother so he wanted me back but I was not forth coming so he did the worst.

My new bo$$ was his MD too. He liked me and trusted my judgment when I resumed but when he visited my old coy, the CEO fed him with what his MD told him about me years ago. From that moment to this moment as I make my report we have been fighting. Not physically, but technically. I ‎​​A̶̲̥̅♏ a very experienced marketer with contacts in my industry, but because my former coy has spread lots of trash about me here and there it is almost impossible to achieve anything.

My bo$$ on ther other hand calls me names like fool, empty brain, lazy man, etc.

The truth is that this is gradually making me loose confidence in my self and it is begining to tell and show on the job. I almost no longer trust my own judgment anymore. I make avoidable mistakes for fear of being called names.

The good news is that I intend to leave prety soon.

Thanks.

How long will you keep running? Truth is inspite θf the demoralizing fact that sadistic bosses abound in the workplace, most employees contribute immensely to the way they are being treated and I sincerely hope that you aren't responsible for the treatment you are receiving and have received in the past!

I have read that reputation precedes an individual but you can also work hard at changing your reputation! If you are as deligent in your job as you claim, your results will speak for you and consequently over ride every wrong assumptions. I deduced from your post that the only reason your CEO wanted you back in the first company wasn't because he realised your worth and missed your input but because he didn't want to loose his connection with your brother! And now, you claim you can't achieve results because trash has been said about you! Oh dear please, you have got to take responsibility! Infact now is the best opportunity you have to proove that you are super duper dynamo! Proove to them and mostly to yourself that you rock!

1 Like

Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by phadat(m): 11:07am On Jul 14, 2012
fankasibe: I once had a boss who always say to me 'what is d relationship btw u and my daughter' 'i don't like u looking at my daughter like that' 'must u always ask for salary everymonth?'
my boss is a womanizer, he once dated my girl fwend telling me i'm too small to keep one.
that ur chick is a bitch I guess its cos of cash SMH
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by mentorx4u(m): 11:36am On Jul 14, 2012
Lets al immitate D movie 'horrible bosses...'(kil dem al)jst jokin...i'm stil prayin nd hopin 2 b boss of my own...
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by marjo: 12:36pm On Jul 14, 2012
@trinity u shud have sued them. It is illegal to sack a woman on maternity leave. So many pple don't know the law and those who know don't want 'wahala'.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
marjo: @trinity u shud have sued them. It is illegal to sack a woman on maternity leave. So many pple don't know the law and those who know don't want 'wahala'.

How long will the case drag at our Nigeria court θf law? Also if the company is one θf those "mighty" multinationals, what is the likelyhood that she stands a chance? However, I am much interested in the true outcome if she were to go that route. Are there any legal practitioners in the house?
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by oladayo042: 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
Don't be surprised if your boss is on NL reading all these comments. grin
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 3:57pm On Jul 14, 2012
oladayo042: Don't be surprised if your boss is on NL reading all these comments. grin

Let them read and either turn a new leaf or watch their backs!!!

1 Like

Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by ezicat: 11:20pm On Jul 14, 2012
Trust me - this doesn't occur just in Nigeria. There are a-holes and biatches in every society. In some, their powers are restricted by working civil courts and codes of conducts. None the less, the situation can still be intolerable.

The best thing of course is to leave (that's what I did, thank goodness. Love the new job), but that isn't an option for a lot of people; the next best thing is to confront them - some like to claim that they are not aware of what they're doing - I personally don't believe it - if you're that emotionally daft, you shouldn't be a manager! But just so they don't have that excuse, you really should confront them - with incidents in writing and specific examples (the same way you would give a professional presentation). Your boss has a boss and their boss has a boss; even the CEO has a board to answer to, and a company their customers to answer to. Let them know that you'll be taking it to their superiors - that usually gets their attention.

Now, most people are of course afraid to lose their jobs. But, guess what - you might lose it anyway. Isn't it better to take a stand? It certainly will be for your morale.

Or just key their cars and puncture their tires grin
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by cecegorz(m): 1:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
I think that companies are beginning to realize that these Jerks are costing organizations dearly, in terms of loss of human capital.
So what my HR has been doing recently is sensitizing staff about 'Jerk Behaviour' and warning Supervisors to desist from exhibiting certain attitudes towards their subordinates.
If your subordinate reports you to HR and has proofs to support you've been acting like a Jerk, you may well be on your way OUT!
So the catch phrase is, 'Be a team player, Don't be a Jerk'!

2 Likes

Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by monex(m): 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
i once had a very abusive Exec Director in a coy i worked for previously. He once called me an slowpoke. His abusive words never affected me though; partly because he does same to others and also partly because i was into private consulting at the same
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by akabad: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
Its not common that most horrible bosses are female..
I work in the UK and my last 3 bosses were women, i have come to understand that when its THAT TIME OF THE MONTH, they could get very randy, impatient and easily upset.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 8:50pm On Jul 19, 2012
Lol at " be a team player not a jerk", lol at "beware when its that time θf the month". But really, your inability to keep your emotions in check displays your deficiency as a leader! Time θf the month or not! You are a woman and a leader, you ought to know by now that your emotions become unstable at "that time θf the month" and so should take extra measures in "fixing" them instead θf accepting what nature has created!
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by bikay(f): 1:35pm On Jul 22, 2012
I quite agree with posters dat said nothin is as good as been your own boss.My advise for those with such bosses is to keep on persevering till they get a better offer or become an enterpreneur.
I work in a bank and had dis BOSS dat was just too nice(in quote) She gives queries at will n copies our 2nd level supervisor for every error made up to the point of lying against the staff in question..Pple were not just happy on the job cos she made it so difficult.You must show up in the office when sick. She went as far as scoring us low in appraisal and giving horrible remarks lyk ''Remain on same grade''
She apprvd our leave for only 10days instead of 22days and several other inhuman stuffs lyk dat.
We turnd to God for help n HE answered.
She was moved to another branch n presently works in Cash mgt centre. How d high n mighty fall, u wil say from the post of a Branch operations mgr I believe its d law of karma cos u reap wat u sow.
Thnk God for the new dawn anyway.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by minute(f): 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
Human resources should not take sides. I would find out who they answer to and take

it to them after going to the HR if they don't take you seriously. You can sue a

former employer for saying anything derogatory if a prospective employer calls them.

All they can verify is long you were there, what you were paid, etc.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by spicyv1(f): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2012
@Bikay: yayyyy! Me likie what became θf that nice boss θf yours! The icing on the chocolate cake would be that her superiors give her double θf all she gave to you guys.

@Minute: really? In Naija?
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 23, 2012
my lips are sealed lipsrsealed
ogbeche77:
I surely know who you are talking about, let me give u a clue, your office is at Ikeja... Right?
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by obowunmi(m): 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2012
Naa waa ooo. My eyes.
Re: Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! by bisiswag(f): 4:57am On Aug 24, 2012
Na wa oh,i once had dx female boss in a hospital setting,damn,was she mean. What irritated me the most abt her was that she wld gossip and spoil ur name with the nurses n wen u come arnd,she will be saying,hmn,hmn. I had just lost my fiance,@27,yet she never said a word of comfort,never appreciated anything cos i worked tirelessly in clinic all day. I look back now n thank God am a lil bit stronger now @28,n mourning less. May she see evil in her lifetime wen she least expects,witch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sterling Bank Appoints Abubakar Suleiman As CEO / Army Council Approves The Promotion Of Senior Army Officers / PSC Approves Promotion Of 4,542 Police Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.