Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,848 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. (9881 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 7:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
chucky234: Boxer and singlet will do the magic, dont forget to go with a matching bathroom slippers.
Why wear jeans and T-shirt to corporate meeting?

Hahahahaha, thank goodness this spicy noodle wasn't in my mouth as at the time I was reading your post!
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by richyrich4life(m): 7:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
You just really have to dress to the occasion...
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by frikuenci(m): 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2012
This thread is getting more interesting.pls house I need suggestions. WHAT OTHER WAY can one dress for a job interview if one can't get a suit within a short period due to financial constraint. I have ties and other wears but no suit. Thanks. Its urgent.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2012
Danka7777:

You have to understand that stuttering is a medical and physiological condition. Yes, some people stutter out of fear but some don't have control over it and are very smart. I knew a guy who graduated with 4.0 G.P.A, couldn't get a word out without stuttering but he was hell smart and when he wrote on paper, then it hits you that he is hell brilliant but has this condition holding him down. So, I get your drift but there are other words that could be used as opposed to stuttering.

I am so sorry if you misunderstood me.
I didn't mean stuttering as a condition. I actually meant it in terms of "out of fear or fright".
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Demdem(m): 8:01pm On Jul 16, 2012
acidtalk:

Be kinmd enough to post one.
Using my tablet now and typing alone is a night mare already.

I wont be requesting for it if i have any.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2012
frikuenci: This thread is getting more interesting.pls house I need suggestions. WHAT OTHER WAY can one dress for a job interview if one can't get a suit within a short period due to financial constraint. I have ties and other wears but no suit. Thanks. Its urgent.

I am not a corporate dresser but I believe a normal well ironed long sleeve shirt and trousers will do with the tie.

I don't think suit is a must.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by greatgod2012(f): 8:09pm On Jul 16, 2012
i know a friend who has never worn suit to job interviews,yet he often get d job, i think it depends on various factors like carriage,posture, fluency, confidence, knowledge of d job in question,etc. However,what works for a person may not work for another person, so,know urself and what works for u
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Cyberconnect12: 8:30pm On Jul 16, 2012
spicy v:

Your dressing is determined by the kind θf meeting you are going for. I think its irresponsible and a display θf nonchalance or disregard for your counterparts to dress casually to a meeting that requires a tux. Unless otherwise indicated.

As for your observation regarding top biz consultants around the world dressing casually to meetings, I am wondering! Because no name comes to mind, from the Sorinyan's θf Naija to the Donald Trumps θf the U.S,that suit gives you the extra confidence boost required to demand the needed attention.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 8:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
greatgod2012: i know a friend who has never worn suit to job interviews,yet he often get d job, i think it depends on various factors like carriage,posture, fluency, confidence, knowledge of d job in question,etc. However,what works for a person may not work for another person, so,know urself and what works for u

You are so on point.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by SisiKill1: 8:44pm On Jul 16, 2012
frikuenci: This thread is getting more interesting.pls house I need suggestions. WHAT OTHER WAY can one dress for a job interview if one can't get a suit within a short period due to financial constraint. I have ties and other wears but no suit. Thanks. Its urgent.
Dude as long as your shirt and pant is clean and well pressed, your shoes are well polished and you well groomed, that is. . .no scraggy looking hair poking out from any part of your body, your nails are clean and you are well shaved . . .I don't think should worry too much about not having a suit.

If you have a long way to go for your interview and you are not driving. . .I'd advice that you don't wear your shirt, you don't wanna go into the interview room with large sweats stains on it.

Try to get there at least an hour before the interview so you can put yourself together and please, please, please whatever you do just make sure you use deodorant (I'll even go as far as saying carry it with you sef. . .nothing can turn people off faster than BO angry )
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by kushe: 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
Naija is too hot for all this suits all of una dey wear.coats were designed for temperate regions and not a hot place like Lagos and besides,the companies wey dey make money pass,dem no dey wear suit ooo,dey dress the way that will best bring out their creativity.

As for the dress the way you want go be addressed,if you see bill gates,u for don slap am finish before u realize who him be or is it jeff bezos or larry page.abegiii show us the money and stop wearing cloth.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by osifred(m): 8:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
You are asking if wearing "causal jean,shirt and face cap' to corporate meeting and interview.

@op you wear casual cloth to casual settings and corporate wear to corporate setting. Or has jeans and face cap now regarded as corporate wear?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by spicyv1(f): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2012
osifred: You are asking if wearing "causal jean,shirt and face cap' to corporate meeting and interview.

@op you wear casual cloth to casual settings and corporate wear to corporate setting. Or has jeans and face cap now regarded as corporate wear?

God bless your sweet soul for stating in clear terms what I have released an album over!!! Tiank you wellu wellu!!!
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 16, 2012
I hate to dress up with a passion. God know's I also hate to think of what to wear.

The founders/directors of a certain company in the uk that's listed on the london stock exchange wear jeans and T-shirt to work. The said company caters to high end customers of the society.

Funnily, they'd encourage us to dress in like manner.

Their reason was simple: they wanted to be approachable. Not overly officious.

On my return to Nigeria, I took to their idea. I find that people I met for the first time were taken aback. I always got that you can't be serious look. In return I give them 'I don't give a rats ass' look. Can we get started already??

Una go tell me if na fashion parade we dey gather for?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Ardedaryor(m): 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
me no gbadun the combination jooooorrooo
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by frikuenci(m): 10:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
acidtalk:

I am not a corporate dresser but I believe a normal well ironed long sleeve shirt and trousers will do with the tie.

I don't think suit is a must.

@Sisi_Kill, thanks to you both for your contributions. Its quite helpful.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
[b][/b]
ebamma: its all about preference,afterall mark zuckerberg(facebook md) has never worn a suit while at work.

MD not grade 2 guy....I am always on one jean π a shirt with folded sleeves. But when need be, I unfold my sleeves π look for d next available pant to wear in place of a Jean. Wisdom is profitable to direct my guy.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by RuuDie(m): 5:31am On Jul 17, 2012
The type of setting or organization hosting the event and the venue also matters. A gathering of I.T geeks, media + entertainment or sports folks probably won't require being all formally clothed. A formal event on a rig, construction site or offshore location definitely doesn't require formal attire. Financial sector, most often than not, you'd have to be formally decked. . .et al.

Bottomline, especially for an "upstart" looking to make the right impression, its best you dress as the occasion or location demands, this means getting to know a little about where you are going and what is expected of you.

Then again, as long as your dress code at the time won't have significant bearing or any adverse, long-term negative effects on your person or whatever it is you are doing where you go, then you can dress anyhow you like to just about anywhere you want. But courtesy at least demands that you look very neat and attractive to the eye.
Me, for instance, haven't had a cause to wear a suit now for about 6-8 years and counting.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by NigeriaKwenu(m): 6:10am On Jul 17, 2012
osifred: You are asking if wearing "causal jean,shirt and face cap' to corporate meeting and interview.

Can you define corporate dressing?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Jarus(m): 7:23am On Jul 17, 2012
RuuDie: The type of setting or organization hosting the event and the venue also matters. A gathering of I.T geeks, media + entertainment or sports folks probably won't require being all formally clothed. A formal event on a rig, construction site or offshore location definitely doesn't require formal attire. Financial sector, most often than not, you'd have to be formally decked. . .et al.

Bottomline, especially for an "upstart" looking to make the right impression, its best you dress as the occasion or location demands, this means getting to know a little about where you are going and what is expected of you.

Then again, as long as your dress code at the time won't have significant bearing or any adverse, long-term negative effects on your person or whatever it is you are doing where you go, then you can dress anyhow you like to just about anywhere you want. But courtesy at least demands that you look very neat and attractive to the eye.
Me, for instance, haven't had a cause to wear a suit now for about 6-8 years and counting.

This summarizes it.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by phaya(f): 8:24am On Jul 17, 2012
No matter how the world has changed a lot in terms of fashion/dressing, the best is still wearing a good suit for business meetings(u will be taken more seriously). There are some people out there still keeping it real.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by kodewrita(m): 9:32am On Jul 17, 2012
Its a cultural thing. A friend of mine who works in a multinational narrated a recent global conference they had. On this side of the screen ( nigeria) you could see all manner of people looking stuffy in business suits while on the other side, all manner of people dressed casually in jeans, hijabs, jalabya, frocks and t-shirts. The conclusion was that most of the extra-strict rules we have here in nigeria are simply cultural bondage.

Same guy dresses differently in different climes. So when he's in Europe where they are not so culturally caged, he goes for meetings dressed casually and when in nigeria ( where people might hold it against you ) he dresses like he's getting married.

The key learning for me is to dress to expectation if you have something you need such people for. If attire is very important to them OR if it can be used to achieve a certain strategic objective, then i will dress to suit that purpose.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by AjanleKoko: 10:16am On Jul 17, 2012
OMO IBO: I hate to dress up with a passion. God know's I also hate to think of what to wear.

The founders/directors of a certain company in the uk that's listed on the london stock exchange wear jeans and T-shirt to work. The said company caters to high end customers of the society.

Funnily, they'd encourage us to dress in like manner.

Their reason was simple: they wanted to be approachable. Not overly officious.

On my return to Nigeria, I took to their idea. I find that people I met for the first time were taken aback. I always got that you can't be serious look. In return I give them 'I don't give a rats ass' look. Can we get started already??

Una go tell me if na fashion parade we dey gather for?

This means what exactly? That Nigerians don't know how to wear Jeans and T-Shirt?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by IleIfe2(m): 10:53am On Jul 17, 2012
If i'm the boss i'll wear what makes me feel comfortable.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by Lilybabes: 10:59am On Jul 17, 2012
wear d right thing for the supposed occasion,you musn't feel comfortable.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by acidtalk: 11:29am On Jul 17, 2012
AjanleKoko:

This means what exactly? That Nigerians don't know how to wear Jeans and T-Shirt?

It simply means Nigeria will copy other people's culture and become slaves to it. Even when the real owners never take it so serious.

Do you people see how Barack Obama dresses most times folding his sleeves and all that? Most CEO's here in Nigeria will never feel comfortable dressing that way because they will be scared of people terming them "toutish mode of dreesing"

Nigerians are just tooooooo fake.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by AjanleKoko: 11:52am On Jul 17, 2012
acidtalk:

It simply means Nigeria will copy other people's culture and become slaves to it. Even when the real owners never take it so serious.

Do you people see how Barack Obama dresses most times folding his sleeves and all that? Most CEO's here in Nigeria will never feel comfortable dressing that way because they will be scared of people terming them "toutish mode of dreesing"

You're talking smack.
Are Nigerians the only people in the world who have adopted suits as formal wear, or for that matter jeans and t-shirts as casual wear?
And FYI, Obama NEVER folds his sleeves when he is addressing the media. Maybe when he's in some chill-out mode or something. But every time he is in full glare of the media, he is always formally dressed. Lord knows what you're watching, maybe 106 and Park?
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by yeahryt(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
<u dress d way u want 2 be addressed bo> i wud rada be addressed as a responsible canny young man dan a despondable danny boy.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by iykak47: 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2012
This topic reminds me of the late Steve Jobs, who would never wear suit and tie during the launch of Apple products but still he was a great and well respected innovator.
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by GoodBoi1(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
^^^Just what I was thinking
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by SisiKill1: 1:01pm On Jul 17, 2012
acidtalk:

And you know where this is most apparent? The Courthouse!!!

Why 'em lawyers still wear that ridiculous, clown looking garb is beyond me!!!! undecided
Re: Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. by AjanleKoko: 3:46pm On Jul 17, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

And you know where this is most apparent? The Courthouse!!!

Why 'em lawyers still wear that ridiculous, clown looking garb is beyond me!!!! undecided

Nothing ridiculous about the wig and gown. It's British tradition. Many commonwealth countries still use the wig and gown. Even British lawyers are protesting against it. I believe the Irish have since stopped. But it's still worn in Canada and Australia.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Horizon Vs Niit Which Will You Recommend For Training In Oracle Database / New Procedure For ICAN Induction: TCI Lectures & Exam / Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.