Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,597 members, 7,820,145 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. (2078 Views)

Deepsight: Is Consciousness A Divine Attribute Or An Accident Of Evolution? / PASTOR AIO, Let's Discuss IFA. / Pastor AIO, Come Teach Us The Truth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by plaetton: 6:21pm On Jul 16, 2012
Martian:

Why are you people always getting so easily offended? Correct me if I'm wrong. Did or didn't James Cameron use the Gaia hypothesis or something similar as an inspiration for Pandora?

Life can take many forms as we all know,both concious and unconcious but this is a proposition that a whole planet is sentient. It could be true and it could be false,and that's why I was asking you to clarify what you meant.

I am not offeneded. I just did not want the thread to veer off into any unproductive areas.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Kay17: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2012
Awareness at least in a basic state, is a readily product/effect of matter, of which consciousness an advanced state must exist.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by InesQor(m): 7:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
Martian:

I think you're just anthropomorphizing "mother" earth. These geological events have been observed on other planets and moons, so I think it's just the human hubris to think that natural events happen because the earth is defending itself againt humans. I'm not saying that human actions do not contribute but thinking the earth is a concious entity because of geological changes is a little bit too much.

http://geology.com/articles/active-volcanoes-solar-system.shtml
http://science.discovery.com/tv/how-the-universe-works/
I beg to differ, we are not just anthropomorphizing Earth.

These "natural" geological events are expected responses to stimuli, as they are not just random occurrences. There is current research into the accurate prediction of earthquakes with respect to the level of perturbation of the earth.

The earth is alive. Living things respond to stimuli, and all living things experience a form of consciousness; as I stated in my answer to point (2) earlier on.

ETA: You said "These geological events have been observed on other planets and moons", and I say "The other planets (even those that have no support for life) are also living, and thus they have a form of consciousness".
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 16, 2012
InesQor:
I beg to differ, we are not just anthropomorphizing Earth.
These "natural" geological events are expected responses to stimuli, as they are not just random occurrences. There is current research into the accurate prediction of earthquakes with respect to the level of perturbation of the earth.
The earth is alive. Living things respond to stimuli, and all living things experience a form of consciousness; as I stated in my answer to point (2) earlier on.

ETA: You said "These geological events have been observed on other planets and moons", and I say "The other planets (even those that have no support for life) are also living, and thus they have a form of consciousness".

Are we now expanding the meaning of conciousness to include geological events? I can understand "alive" being used as a metaphor for the natural events that take place, but are we now going to claim that the earth is concious because of these events.

If all living things experience conciousness, is a bamboo tree "concious"
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by InesQor(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
Martian:
Are we now expanding the meaning of conciousness to include geological events? I can understand "alive" being used as a metaphor for the natural events that take place, but are we now going to claim that the earth is concious because of these events.
Geological events are observed to be responses to stimuli, and not random occurrences.

Martian: If all living things experience conciousness, is a bamboo tree "conscious"
Yes a bamboo tree is conscious, in the sense of perception or phenomenality. Obstruct the sunlight and watch its branches grow in search of the nearest source of light. Or watch its roots bend in various directions to avoid stones in search of water.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2012
InesQor:
Geological events are observed to be responses to stimuli, and not random occurrences.

I know that. Like the moon influencing the tides and Jupiter's influence on Io.

InesQor:
Yes a bamboo tree is conscious, in the sense of perception or phenomenality. Obstruct the sunlight and watch its branches grow in search of the nearest source of light. Or watch its roots bend in various directions to avoid stones in search of water.

Isn't this stretching the definition of conciouness? I thought conciouness depends on a central nervous system. Response to stimuli and roots following the best course doesn't mean they are concious. But if that's the definition you're working with, it's cool.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by jayriginal: 10:07am On Jul 17, 2012
Deep Sight:

@ Pastor AIO, great rally u had there with Kag. I wonder is KAG is aware of the existence of chess playing robots and their ability to respond to complex strategic scenarios with jaw dropping intelligence. Such robots are neither self aware or conscious, not to speak of possessing knowing sentience.

I'll be back.
Actually they do NOT respond with any kind of intelligence at all. I could as well say that a computer which performs calculations in a few seconds that would take a team of humans a year to do is intelligent. Its not.

It is like Pastor AIO said, sophisticated programming.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 10:25am On Jul 17, 2012
Kay 17: Awareness at least in a basic state, is a readily product/effect of matter, of which consciousness an advanced state must exist.

You say that so authoritatively. As if you've done the experiment by configuring matter in the lab in such a way that Awareness was produced.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Kay17: 12:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
Pastor AIO:

You say that so authoritatively. As if you've done the experiment by configuring matter in the lab in such a way that Awareness was produced.

No, but we have no experience of awareness/consciousness floating in mid-air.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 2:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
Kay 17:

No, but we have no experience of awareness/consciousness floating in mid-air.

The only consciousness we have experience of is our own. I cannot experience your consciousness. You cannot experience my consciousness. As far as I may be aware you might just be a well programmed neurological robot, An AI.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by LDaVinci: 2:33pm On Jul 17, 2012
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Kay17: 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
Pastor AIO:

The only consciousness we have experience of is our own. I cannot experience your consciousness. You cannot experience my consciousness. As far as I may be aware you might just be a well programmed neurological robot, An AI.

I'm not aware of your consciousness?! An AI is at most is aware, but a sophisticated AI could be self conscious, given aware of one's identity as the criteria.

I like to think of life as a biochemical robot/AI.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2012
One of the most persistent difficulties for reductive physicalism has been the apparent inability of physicalistic explanations to capture qualitative features of conscious experience. It has been persuasively argued that qualia--the experiential feels of 'what it is like' to be in a conscious mental state--cannot be captured by any physicalistic explanations in principle[b] because physicalistic explanations inherently refer to objective or public features of phenomena, whereas the experiential features of consciousness are inherently subjective or private[/b] (Teller 1992, pp. 190-191). While such arguments for the irreducibility of consciousness are not the last word on the subject, they have not been decisively refuted either--at least not in the view of several prominent philosophers.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/keith_augustine/thesis.html#distinction
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 2:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
Kay 17:

I'm not aware of your consciousness?! An AI is at most is aware, but a sophisticated AI could be self conscious, given aware of one's identity as the criteria.

I like to think of life as a biochemical robot.

I don't want to get into a round and about argument over whether or not you can be aware of my consciousness when I know that all those who have dedicated their lives to the issue, even professionally, admit that it is an inherently subjective phenomena. This is admitted by Atheists philosophers as Keith Augustine above as well as everyone else that has tried to tackle the issue. I've had these conversations before and I don't really fancy going there again.

Perhaps if you had a look at the matter here:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/ . . . .

. . . and after reading you subsequently felt that you had an insight that hasn't been touched on yet by philosophers etc, then I would be delighted to hear what your insight was.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 2:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
I apologise in advance if the above comes across as arrogant. I don't mean it that way.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by Kay17: 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2012
^^

No problem.

Do you actually think its impossible to ascertain the consciousness of any object?!
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 10:29am On Jul 18, 2012
Kay 17: ^^

No problem.

Do you actually think its impossible to ascertain the consciousness of any object?!

hmmmm. . . . what if the consciousness of any object is the same consciousness as mine?

I'm not saying it is, I'm just throwing it out there as an hypothetical notion.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by maymurph(m): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2012
benodic:
according to the The Cosmic Sea of Words, Eckankar Lexicon, Consciousness is that state of being in which the individual lives daily, which is divided into two parts, the phenomenal and the transcendental. the phenomenal depends upon the sense organs for its expression, the transcendental is independent of the physical senses and works directly with the ECK (Holy Spirit)
consciousness is also the reality of a particular kind of Awareness which is independent of the mind's activity.

consciousness is actually an attribute of Soul. the level of a Soul's consciousness determines where it will find its expression which can be at the mineral, plant, animal or human level

it is a living conscious entity and not just a ball of dirt and water floating in space. it has a unique state of consciousness which gives rise to the events in the world.

there is both individual consciousness and a collective consciousness. a collective consciousness of for example a particular tribe or country is comprised of aggregations of the individual consciousness within that tribe or country.

@benodic and ajayi..Im very happy seeing u guys discuss eckankar with this much intelligence and good depth,not to mention plenty of grace.Im loving it.Thanks a lot guys.Keep it up. smiley smiley
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by mnwankwo(m): 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2012
plaetton: Consciousness defines reality. An Altered state of consciousness produces an altered perception of reality.
The universe, is , ultimately, a projection of our consciousness.

We see how drugs can alter our reality by simply elevating or altering the vibrational rate of our consciousness(our brain waves).
Therefore, Reality does not exist without the consciousness that defines it.

This brings us a very important question- Can an individual consciousness survive the physical dematerialisation(death) of the body?

If yes, how does the surviving intangible consciousness percieve any reality?

If no,does't that mean that universe ceases to exist since that consciousness no longer exists to percieve it?
The implication is that universe is probably a holographic projection that consciousness uses as an interface between it and nothingness.
It would mean that universe does not really exist except for the 7 billions units of exiled consciousness that percieve it as real in this planet.

And this again brings me to another question.
Did consciousness exist prior to the formation of the universe, or, is consciousness a by-product of energy interactions within the universe?

Were we conscious before we were born or did we grow into consciousness as our foetal brain waves reached a critical threshold?

This has great implications for the idea of an aftelifer, for , if we grew into consciousness, then consciousness would not be expected to survive the destruction of the physical body.
In this case the notion of an afterlife quickly becomes a big dud.
Not so?

Where is N Nwankwo? I would love to see his opinions on this.

Hi Plaetton. Thanks for inviting me to your interesting thread. I will offer my perception on the issues that you have raised on or before the weekend. Stay blessed.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by PastorAIO: 5:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
I think that a distinction can be made between Pure Consciousness and Consciousness that is mixed with an awareness of The Other, or An Other.

I do not think that Pure Consciousness can be altered. Rather it is our Perceptions, ie the way we see other things, that undergoes alteration.
Re: Deepsight,pastor AIO, And Everyone Else, Lets Discuss CONSCIOUSNESS.. Again. by plaetton: 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
Deepsight and N. Nwankwo, We are still awaiting your inputs to this almost-forgotten post.

Yawn.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zahid Khan's 32 Sins Of The Prophet OF ISLAM / Lessons On Surah 58. Surah Al Mujadilah (the Pleading Woman) / French Muslims Refuse To Bury Teenager Who Killed Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.