Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? (14756 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 10:55am On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:
authoritative figure in the broad sense isnt necessarily god or a diety or a religion.it includes parents,teachers,friends,adversaries,girlfriends,etc.in that sense,everybody learns from an authoritative figure
so you agree that learning right and wrong brings one subject to a higher authority of knowledge?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by PastorAIO: 10:56am On Jul 15, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Heroism/self-scarifice do not serve any self interest? You wouldnt protect your children with your life?

Heroism etc do serve an interest. Whether that interest is self interest or not would require us to make an appraisal of just what is the Self. In other words we must face the Problem of Identity again.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by buzugee(m): 10:58am On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: morality bieng innate? I dont understand..
yes morality is innate. however there are people who are created with satanic spirits who are amongst us. these people are used by the lord to wreak vengeance on people. these have no innate morality.

ecclesiasticus 39 vs 28 There be spirits that are created for vengeance, which in their fury lay on sore strokes; in the time of destruction they pour out their force, and appease the wrath of him that made them.

jeffrey dahmer ? he was one of those kind of spirits. he was targeting homosexuals.

leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

the lord is terrible grin PSALAMS 47 VS 2 For the LORD most high is terrible

HE HAS PEOPLE ON EARTH WITH NO MORALITY FOR VENGEANCE AND EVIL

PROVERBS 16 VS 4 The LORD has made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 10:58am On Jul 15, 2012
Pastor AIO:
so we can ask now, How much of an authority is Conscience and Why so?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:00am On Jul 15, 2012
buzugee: yes morality is innate. however there are people who are created with satanic spirits who are amongst us. these people are used by the lord to wreak vengeance on people. these have no innate morality.

ecclesiasticus 39 vs 28 There be spirits that are created for vengeance, which in their fury lay on sore strokes; in the time of destruction they pour out their force, and appease the wrath of him that made them.

jeffrey dahmer ? he was one of those kind of spirits. he was targeting homosexuals.

leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

the lord is terrible grin PSALAMS 47 VS 2 For the LORD most high is terrible

HE HAS PEOPLE ON EARTH WITH NO MORALITY FOR VENGEANCE AND EVIL

PROVERBS 16 VS 4 The LORD has made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
the wicked who are doomed to hell?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by buzugee(m): 11:13am On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: the wicked who are doomed to hell?
there is no such thing as a place called hell. hell is when your knowledge and spirituality has been turned off and you are dumb blind and in total darkness. being put in a state of complete spiritual and mental darkness. thats hell. like we have in africa. see hell is a set of conditions imposed on you by God.
1-your light is turned off
2-your light been turned off means satan has more power than you and hence you will be getting whooped regularly by satan ( the proverbial red man with pitchfork scenario )
3-your intelligence has been turned off meaning you are in a state of dumbness and lack of creativity.
4-then while in all this darkness, the lord sends those spirits that are made for vengeance after you ( such as was witnessed in colonialism, slavery, unfair trade etc etc. those are those spirits always on you forking you up every chance they get )

that my friend is hell. not a physical place. ALL BIBLICAL.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 11:18am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel: Atheism is by definition a no God existence, but there still resides within these ingrates that gift of conscience and awareness of right or wrong , therefore it is not unusual to see some of these creatures exhibit some flashes of goodness from time to time.

However , when a state is founded on atheist ideologies like Maoism and Stalinism, what we have is a pretty much 'lawless' society where human life is devalued and morality becomes a relative term.

Just look at Russia and the effect of decades of atheism, Vodka addiction, violence, the most horrendous kind of racism and gross intolerance for the ideas for a democratic society.

Atheists without Christ are a lost cause and of all men to be the most pitied.

Only Christ can deliver them from their almost seemingly impenetrable blindness.

This is harsh but true.

Atheism is simple. Disbelief in Gods (supernatural). It doesn't come with a code of ethics package, its doesn't define a way of life, it doesn't prescribe an ideology.

As a result, you can't blame atheism for moral deficiencies.

My morals are in line with those of humanism, which is more comprehensive than atheism.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by PastorAIO: 11:20am On Jul 15, 2012
The following is from a previous thread back in the day.
https://www.nairaland.com/148054/paul-kurtz-great-public-intellectual/2
:

Krayola sir,  I think sometimes the best way forward is to go back.  May I refer you to some of my earliest posts on Nairaland.  It will help matters immensely.

JayFK:

If you want to quote, when you click on reply scroll down to topic summary, by the person's post you'll see "insert quote"

Thank you

JayFK:

Me I do not believe in god, and I do good because I'm a moral person, apathetic at times but moral.  I do good because well, its the right thing to do and I expect it to be reciprocated, it's like altruism.  Even among animals, the mother bison defenders her young from the lion, she's not doing it for a higher power its more like she's bound to it.

We are all moral people, it is ingrained in us. And you are right we are BOUND to it.  This is a complex subject and I fear that I might do it injustice if I don't tread carefully and take things step by step.  Being Moral means that we will always pursue what we believe to be the highest value.  or as some like to put it, The Greatest Good.  This highest value is different from individual to individual (and from society to society) but each one pursues his/her own highest value.
A lot of the time what you call the 'good' is merely what you have been taught by society as good.  A word of warning though. If you really expect the good you do to be reciprocated you will get mightily disappointed.  I just think you ought to know that, it might help buffer the shock.
I don't think the mother Bison is a good example though.  Her actions may be explained as instinctive rather than moral.  With morality I see a subject having a choice between two actions and choosing the superior one.  A mother's fierce protection of her young is not a choice but rather an instinct.

The thing about our morality is that it determines our behaviour.

JayFK:

Also, I think "morality" as we know it is an innate behaviour, something that we do not need a "holy book" to guide us for, do you understand my point? 

Having a moral/value system is innate, but just what is contained in that system is arbitrary.  Everybody values some things higher than others, some actions higher than others, but just which things lie at the top of the morality scale differs from person to person, and from culture to culture.  For instance, in some societies bravery in battle/hunting is highly esteemed as is speaking and acting directly face to face.  In other societies Cunning might be higher esteemed than Upfrontery (my word that i've just made up. nice uh?).  In yet another society diplomacy may be higher esteemed than the sword while for their neighbours diplomats and people who talk are regarded with derision while the sword is respected. 
These various value systems are what give each culture it's characteristics.  And to the extent that individuals differ in their values, our various value systems give us our individual characteristics. 

Morality is a value system that shapes our character and behaviour.  That is all I was trying to say.
This value system that we carry around with us is informed by our environment and yes, accepting the bible as a guide in your life will influence your morals.  I'm that Bush feels no qualms about dropping bombs on Iraqi babies, his moral codes supply him with plenty of precedents that say it is okay. 

I suspect that you are coming from the school of 'Deep down in Everyone's conscience we know what is Good'.  I disagree.  If you were raised as an aborigine in Papua New Guinea you would have no qualms about having another human being for dinner.  I don't mean as a guest for dinner, but actually having him on the table, salted and peppered.  I don't believe in an Absolute Morality that lies within all of us.  Morality is relative.  Your so called innate moral behaviour is a product of your upbringing and your environment.

JayFK:

.  I believe that "morality" is innate and is constantly molded by the society we live in,.  Definition of "morality" is constantly changing I guess,  but my position remains that the bible is not needed for morality contrary to what many Christians may think.

I'm in total agreement with you here.  Everybody has a Moral structure, it is ingrained, innate, and hardwired into what we are.  It informs the way we think and the choices we make and the actions we commit.  There is no such thing as an A-moral human being.  And yes there have been moral codes in all societies since the dawn of time without the need of the bible.  And as immoral behaviour is shocking in christian society, so are behaviours that violate their moral codes shocking in non christian society.  And to the same degree of shock and revulsion and disgust. 

Where I think an important distinction must be emphasised is that the actual articles of any moral code are not fixed, absolute or universal.  Murder is not always despicable, not even in biblical Israel.  I've heard arguments from humanists claiming that everyone agrees that murder is wrong.  Yes every society disapproves of murder, but only within the society.  Theft, only within the society etc.  It's okay to kill the neighbouring tribe, and to steal their cattle and to take over their land flowing with milk and honey.  The injunction not to kill or steal was the code of conduct to be applied by israelites within the Israelite community.  It makes perfect sense that any society that allows it's members to kill each other is not going to last very long.  The bible has proved to be no different from the moral guides of other societies on this matter. 

The definition of Morality is a scale of Values with Good at the top and Evil at the bottom.  This is fixed and true for everyone.  The Specific articles that are contained within a morality, ie what is considered Good and what is considered Evil, is not fixed and neither is it true for everyone.  We are all moral creatures. In any situation every human being will always try to do what he thinks is best.  It's just that one man's morality is another man's immorality. 

I also do not think that if a man despoils a woman that he must then marry her.  The sheer fact that he had to resort to despoil in the first place would suggest that the woman wasn't much interested in the guy in the first place.  That laws comes from a mindset that does not take the feelings of women into much consideration.  My mindset is rather different.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=124453.msg2121735#msg2121735
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by PastorAIO: 11:22am On Jul 15, 2012
Kay 17:

Atheism is simple. Disbelief in Gods (supernatural). It doesn't come with a code of ethics package, its doesn't define a way of life, it doesn't prescribe an ideology.

My morals are in line with those of humanism, which is more comprehensive than atheism.

Hmm . . . check the Paul Kurtz thread too:
https://www.nairaland.com/148054/paul-kurtz-great-public-intellectual
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 15, 2012
Kay 17:

Atheism is a way of life my friend, one which is free from the acknowledgement of GOD and his great providence.

Besides no one is blaming or has blamed atheists for the world's problems. Evil is caused in my opinion by men freely choosing evil over good.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: Russian state system is gosateizm not atheism as it based on marxism-leninism.

Mate , Marxism is atheism period , just another more developed brand of the same ideology and mindset. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:
you intend to lump fascism and communism into the same category as atheism.thats wrong.besides since the fall of the soviet union and introduction of democracy,russia has fared better
nigeria with all our Godism,how far have we gone?

Well I could also say that you intend to lump the crusades into the same category as Christianity, let us not go down this route , there will be no winners.

However some of the most evil and tyrannical nations to exist were founded by atheists who practised Marxism and or Leninism.

Basically , these guys did not believe in a GOD, thought they had all the answers, instead they destroyed lives and made a mockery of the human intelligence.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:37am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

Mate , Marxism is atheism period , just another more developed brand of the same ideology and mindset. grin

it is not(Its a State Religion due to Political Idealogy)..or is rastafarian movements christainity?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MacDaddy01: 11:38am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

Well I could also say that you intend to lump the[b] crusades into the same category as Christianity, [/b]let us not go down this route , there will be no winners.

However some of the most evil and tyrannical nations to exist were founded by atheists who practised Marxism and or Leninism.

Basically , these guys did not believe in a GOD, thought they had all the answers, instead they destroyed lives and made a mockery of the human intelligence.

Crusades is a part of christianity.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:38am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

Well I could also say that you intend to lump the crusades into the same category as Christianity, let us not go down this route , there will be no winners.

For the benefit of doubt..Please list them
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:39am On Jul 15, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Well, that part of church history can certainly not be erased..
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:43am On Jul 15, 2012
Dat ting taya me o, my buroda!!! grin
They all worship a despicable evil deity and yet, they can't stop talking about how morally upright they are because of the worship of this very same diety(s).
Zodiac61: Why don't you just ask the question you really want to ask - Is morality possible without god?
Yes it is.
I am amazed when christians and muslims cliam that their gods are the source of morality.
Have they ever read the bible or the koran?
Antone who reads both books objectively will come to the conclusion that the gods depicted therein anre immoral characters.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 15, 2012
Avicenna:

Just keep wondering how this guy makes false assertions with a bold face. See what decades of religious brainwashing can do to a normal rational person.

Not brainwashed at all with vague , unproven , impossible to decipher gibberish called evolution and other atheist ambiguous notions and ideas grin

I base my analysis on facts , well most of the time , anyway.

Just look at Nigeria and the effect of decades of religiosity, corruption, alcohol addiction, religious violence, and the most horrendous kind of tribalism and gross intolerance of for the ideas of democratic society!

Our problems in Nigeria are caused by greed and corruption and to an extent militant ISLAM not religion generally.

Peaceful Muslims and Christians just want to get on with their lives like everyone else, but we are under the oppressive governance of selfish and greedy men, many of whom use religion as a guise to achieve wicked ends.

Indeed there is also an increase in the malpractice of Christianity. which is why we spend a substantial amount of time on this forum trying to direct people back to the BIBLE and not the personal interpretations or whims of Men.

Learn to be objective. Communism not atheism caused those countries to be like that.

Sorry in the case of Russia it was caused by the lack of GOD, communism destroyed not just the moral fabric of society , but also the worth and dignity of MAN .

And yes communism is state funded atheism - Fact.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 15, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Based on your lack of depth in the historical context of actual event and fact.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: Well, that part of church history can certainly not be erased..

Neither can that of Stalinism be erased from atheism , lol.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel: Atheism is by definition a no God existence, but there still resides within these ingrates that gift of conscience and awareness of right or wrong , therefore it is not unusual to see some of these creatures exhibit some flashes of goodness from time to time.

However , when a state is founded on atheist ideologies like Maoism and Stalinism, what we have is a pretty much 'lawless' society where human life is devalued and morality becomes a relative term.

Just look at Russia and the effect of decades of atheism, Vodka addiction, violence, the most horrendous kind of racism and gross intolerance for the ideas for a democratic society.

Atheists without Christ are a lost cause and of all men to be the most pitied.

Only Christ can deliver them from their almost seemingly impenetrable blindness.

This is harsh but true.

you are now a professional derailer right? Stay on Topic or I'll ban You
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Delafruita(m): 11:54am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

going by your analogy of atheism been responsible for evil,stalinism would have just been living up to its billing.however going by your analogy of your yahweh been the "loving,caring" god,the crusades will be the exact opposite of your potrayal.
safe to say,according to your analogy,atheism acts according to its words while yahweh says one thing and does another
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:54am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

You haven't answered my question..if marxism and stalinism is atheism then is rastafari/Lord's Resistance movement glorified christainity?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

what you are saying is in the past right? what about today?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 11:56am On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

Not brainwashed at all with vague , unproven , impossible to decipher gibberish called evolution and other atheist ambiguous notions and ideas grin

I base my analysis on facts , well most of the time , anyway.

Our problems in Nigeria are caused by greed and corruption and to an extent militant ISLAM not religion generally.

Peaceful Muslims and Christians just want to get on with their lives like everyone else, but we are under the oppressive governance of selfish and greedy men, many of whom use religion as a guise to achieve wicked ends.

Indeed there is also an increase in the malpractice of Christianity. which is why we spend a substantial amount of time on this forum trying to direct people back to the BIBLE and not the personal interpretations or whims of Men.

Sorry in the case of Russia it was caused by the lack of GOD, communism destroyed not just the moral fabric of society , but also the worth and dignity of MAN .

And yes communism is state funded atheism - Fact.
and the presence of God has not been destroying the moral fabric,worth and dignity of man? Give me a break...
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: and the presence of God has not been destroying the moral fabric,worth and dignity of man? Give me a break...

The presence of GOD is what sustains the universe young man , the gravity, the life, the energy , we are simply beneficiaries of God's goodness and kindness.

The same breath that gives you life actually belongs to God and were he to withdraw it , all your noise and ill conceived notions will cease and perish forever.

Better give him glory now when you can see the blue sky, a time comes when we must all die and after that judgement.

No second chances, stop pushing your luck.

"Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them." - Malachi 4:1

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 12:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

The presence of GOD is what sustains the universe young man , the gravity, the life, the energy , we are simply beneficiaries of God's goodness and kindness.

The same breath that gives you life actually belongs to God and were he to withdraw it , all your noise and ill conceived notions will cease and perish forever.

Better give him glory now when you can see the blue sky, a time comes when we must all die and after that judgement.

No second chances, stop pushing your luck.

"Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them." - Malachi 4:1
is that all? Cos the true God i know is fair and just because you can't tell me that its a true God that gave go-aheads for blood to be spilled in his name..
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 12:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: You haven't answered my question..if marxism and stalinism is atheism then is rastafari/Lord's Resistance movement glorified christainity?
Mr Frosbel answer this please
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by emofine2(f): 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
Is morality inherent or learnt?

Just inches before I was to press the submit button I was to vote for the latter however I just remembered a little article I read a while back. It detailed the bond developed between twins in the womb, and it showed an ultrasound where one twin was reaching out to comfort the other twin and in other cases there are twins that struggle with each other in the womb.
Now I don’t believe such behaviour was learnt or necessarily inherent but perhaps environmentally influenced or an adaptation.
However I believe an “authoritative source” elicits our ability to discern. And discernment influences our moral conduct.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45: Mr Frosbel answer this please

Of course not , they are not Christian by any stretch of the human imagination.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Enigma(m): 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
Elephant in the room: what is the basis of anything being "moral" or "immoral"?

Afterall cannibalism is "moral"; even genocide is "moral"! wink

cool
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 12:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel:

Of course not , they are not Christian by any stretch of the human imagination.

then Stanlism and Marxism are not atheism but separate ideologies Sir.......if you think otherwise then Rastafari and The Lord Resistance Movement's are Christians cos they is what they say they are....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? / Evolution 101 / The Joshua Iginla Matter By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.