Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,008 members, 7,835,422 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? (14807 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 5:03pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Now, cultures or not, there is nobody on earth you will show love to especially as defined in 1 Corinthians 13 and the person will honestly judge it as evil.
Any action not born from this core of love goes against man's conscience. It is irrelevant whether or not it is accepted by a particular culture.
If any society rejects it, then that society is evil.

I'll show you something more,
...But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things

Galatians 5:22-23

The above verse lists the characteristics of a christian. No law can justly condemn these attributes

Which one? But the love for a man is not the same with the love for a woman or love of a wife, or love of a brother or a sister?? Why is Love for a countryman is different from love for a human??
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
Kay 17:

Which one? But the love for a man is not the same with the love for a woman or love of a wife, or love of a brother or a sister?? Why is Love for a countryman is different from love for a human??
I thought I was specific enough when I said love as defined in 1st Corinthians 13. Or was I not?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 5:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
Martian:

It's a good moral basis for those naive enough to think they live in Utopia but that doen't mean that it's objective like you claim. It doesn't matter if it came from shakespeare, achebe or voltaire, it still won't be the objective standard.
Well, may I remind you that you still haven't been able to provide any other objective moral standard. Mind you, this seriously hampers your worldview where you always ask for objective proof for existence.

Love as your moral foundation is all fine and dandy, but when you say you hate the sin, it usually involves the persecution of the sinner, directly or indirectly. Is that part of love too?
If I discipline my kids, it doesn't mean that I hate them, but it shows I hate their bad behaviour.

In my opinion, the only equality men have is the equal right to live as they see fit without interfering with their neighbor's well being. That equality doe not require a god, and if it did require a god, I don't think it would be a god who has a "chosen" people. But that's either here nor there. Equality as a concept is more secular than religious anyway because religions, christianity included, are largely dependent on heirarchy, so it's laughable when an adherent says that they are all equal under god.
Actually in christianity, there is no heirarchy, The "christian" celebrity cults you see today violate the Spirit of Christianity. Besides, men can never be truly equal from a subjective/personal viewpoint. Men can only be truly equal when viewed from God's point of view.
About God's "chosen people", I will like you to note that God also severely punished his "chosen people" when they sinned as He did other nations. That is how impartial God is.

What if they person loves his neighbors but loves the yoruba pantheon of gods, does "love your neigbor as yourself still make sense?
Then we will subject his gods to our little moral supremeness test and see if the basis for his morality makes sense.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Well, may I remind you that you still haven't been able to provide any other objective moral standard. Mind you, this seriously hampers your worldview where you always ask for objective proof for existence.

When did I say that there is an objective moral standard? You're the one who says that there is an objective standard and yet you haven't produced one. I don't see how this hampers me at all.

Mr_Anony:
If I discipline my kids, it doesn't mean that I hate them, but it shows I hate their bad behaviour.

You can't draw that analogy because the people being "disciplined" by your prejudice and "love the sinner" dogma are not liable to live by your morals. They are individuals who have the right to do as they please and I haven't seen them persecuting christians, so there should be no need for you to try to impose your particular worldview on them. what you term "bad" behavior doesn't necessarily mean that they consider it bad and that's why morality is not objective and you shouldn't expect them to acknowledge your moral code or your love for the "god of israel".

Mr_Anony:
Actually in christianity, there is no heirarchy, The "christian" celebrity cults you see today violate the Spirit of Christianity. Besides, men can never be truly equal from a subjective/personal viewpoint. Men can only be truly equal when viewed from God's point of view.

Christianity is all about heirachy because it is authoritarian. Certain people are closer to god and he talks to them and tells them to set the agenda for others to follow. There lower levels are that, from assistant pastor, to junior pastor, to deacons, etc. If christians practiced equality, how come all churches have certain people sitting on podiums while the rest of the laymen seat facing them? One thing about christianity is that it perverts the meaing of words. It's only christianity that calls a concept of god that would torment people for eternity ,"omnibenevolent".
God's point of view is nothing but the views of ancient hebrew men from a primitive culture and some hellenized jews.

Mr_Anony:
Then we will subject his gods to our little moral supremeness test and see if the basis for his morality makes sense.

Why can't "love your neighbor as yourself" be enough? Why do you have to subject his gods to your god's moral tests? Doesn't he have the right to believe as he wants?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I thought I was specific enough when I said love as defined in 1st Corinthians 13. Or was I not?

Could you write it out?! I don't have a bible.

Also I have shown u, that no two societies share the same culture and morality, THEREfore morality is neither objective or universal.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
It is not an assumption, the nature of brahman will contradict itself if it attempts to judge morality. Read through my discourse with martian

But the nature of your god doen't contradict itself AND reality?

Seriously, how can an omnipotent and omniscience god who will torture someone for "eternity" for being born into the "wrong" religion judge anyone? He fail his own moral standard by creating hell. How is is just to punish someone for eternity because of the sins commited in 75 years of life?

Assuming your god is real, does the punishment even fit the crime? Is that the objective moral standard giver?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 6:11pm On Jul 18, 2012
Kay 17:

Could you write it out?! I don't have a bible.

4 Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
6 It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.
7 Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].
8 Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 6:24pm On Jul 18, 2012
Martian:

When did I say that there is an objective moral standard? You're the one who says that there is an objective standard and yet you haven't produced one. I don't see how this hampers me at all.
In your worldview, you want objective proof for everything. For instance if I talked about a God's existence, you will immediately ask me for objective proof that God exists. How come that when it comes to morality, you are willing to ignore this practice?

You can't draw that analogy because the people being "disciplined" by your prejudice and "love the sinner" dogma are not liable to live by your morals. They are individuals who have the right to do as they please and I haven't seen them persecuting christians, so there should be no need for you to try to impose your particular worldview on them. what you term "bad" behavior doesn't necessarily mean that they consider it bad and that's why morality is not objective and you shouldn't expect them to acknowledge your moral code or your love for the "god of israel".
I think the analogy of parent and child fits quite well. In the case of an adult, you cannot punish him/her you can only preach the gospel i.e. tell the person about the evil of his/her ways and the goodness of God. If that is the definition of persecution for you, then I am afraid you don't know the meaning of the word.

Christianity is all about heirachy because it is authoritarian. Certain people are closer to god and he talks to them and tells them to set the agenda for others to follow. There lower levels are that, from assistant pastor, to junior pastor, to deacons, etc. If christians practiced equality, how come all churches have certain people sitting on podiums while the rest of the laymen seat facing them? One thing about christianity is that it perverts the meaing of words. It's only christianity that calls a concept of god that would torment people for eternity ,"omnibenevolent".
God's point of view is nothing but the views of ancient hebrew men from a primitive culture and some hellenized jews.
The highlighted comment shows me that you know next to nothing about christianity. There is no christian who is more christian than another

Why can't "love your neighbor as yourself" be enough? Why do you have to subject his gods to your god's moral tests? Doesn't he have the right to believe as he wants?
Of course he has the right to believe whatever he wants but that doesn't automatically make what he believes to be true.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
In your worldview, you want objective proof for everything. For instance if I talked about a God's existence, you will immediately ask me for objective proof that God exists. How come that when it comes to morality, you are willing to ignore this practice?

I don't need objective proof of everything because there are some things that your accept as a rule of thumb. But I'm not ignoring objectivity here, YOU said there is an objective moral standard and it's based on the love of your god. And I said, that, that is just your opinion and it's one of many subjective opinions about morality.

Mr_Anony:
I think the analogy of parent and child fits quite well. In the case of an adult, you cannot punish him/her you can only preach the gospel i.e. tell the person about the evil of his/her ways and the goodness of God.

But can't you people see that you're being arrogant and intolerant by preaching your gospel to people who don't want to hear it. The analogy doesn't fit because people are not obligated to acknowledge you, your god or your moral standards nor are you a parental figure. Your religion is yours to believe and your moral code is yours to live by, just don't impose it on other people.

Mr_Anony:
If that is the definition of persecution for you, then I am afraid you don't know the meaning of the word.

You ignored the part where I said directly or indirectly. Of course you people can't literally persecute people like you used to do because of secular laws. But christians still persecute other people indirectly by voting against equality, trying to impose their myth as an objective eductaional standard,protesting against medical advancements and birth control for women (SOME OF WHO ARE NOT EVEN CHRISTIANS)

Mr_Anony:
The highlighted comment shows me that you know next to nothing about christianity. There is no christian who is more christian than another

lol. Maybe there is no authoritarian christianity in your world but in this one, the pope, bishops, deacons, MOGs etc make christianity a very heirachical institution.

Mr_Anony:
Of course he has the right to believe whatever he wants but that doesn't automatically make what he believes to be true.

you have the right to believe whatever you want but that doesn't automatically make what you believe to true. You both have the right to be "equally" wrong without you condemning him because of your beliefs.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 7:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
Martian:

I don't need objective proof of everything because there are some things that your accept as a rule of thumb. But I'm not ignoring objectivity here, YOU said there is an objective moral standard and it's based on the love of your god. And I said, that, that is just your opinion and it's one of many subjective opinions about morality.
There are some things you accept as a rule of thumb? Wow, could this also mean that there are some things you accept by faith?

But can't you people see that you're being arrogant and intolerant by preaching your gospel to people who don't want to hear it. The analogy doesn't fit because people are not obligated to acknowledge you, your god or your moral standards nor are you a parental figure. Your religion is yours to believe and your moral code is yours to live by, just don't impose it on other people.
Wow, How does telling someone about Christ become imposition? You are free to accept or reject the message. most preaching these days is about as forceful as a coca-cola advert (some commercial adverts are even more in your face than your regular gospel sermon). The reason why you perceive it as imposing beliefs on you is because your conscience pricks you every time you here the gospel and you want to escape from it.

You ignored the part where I said directly or indirectly. Of course you people can't literally persecute people like you used to do because of secular laws. But christians still persecute other people indirectly by voting against equality, trying to impose their myth as an objective eductaional standard,protesting against medical advancements and birth control for women (SOME OF WHO ARE NOT EVEN CHRISTIANS)
Nonsense, these people live in a democratic society and have every right to vote in accordance with what they believe is right for their society. I thought you were the one who is all for people not persecuting other people but here you would rather deny someone else his right to vote on issues that concern his society. I hope you can see your double standard.

lol. Maybe there is no authoritarian christianity in your world but in this one, the pope, bishops, deacons, MOGs etc make christianity a very heirachical institution.
You really know little of Christianity

you have the right to believe whatever you want but that doesn't automatically make what you believe to true. You both have the right to be "equally" wrong without you condemning him because of your beliefs.
Exactly that is why I suggested we put our beliefs to the test.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 7:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
@ mr anony

Can the same love between a husband and wife be shared between two men?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
Kay 17: @ mr anony

Can the same love between a husband and wife be shared between two men?
Love as defined by the bible. Yes!

But if you mean romantic love then...........
Can it? yes, maybe
Should it? No, definitely not.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
There are some things you accept as a rule of thumb? Wow, could this also mean that there are some things you accept by faith?

Wow, How does telling someone about Christ become imposition? You are free to accept or reject the message. most preaching these days is about as forceful as a coca-cola advert (some commercial adverts are even more in your face than your regular gospel sermon). The reason why you perceive it as imposing beliefs on you is because your conscience pricks you every time you here the gospel and you want to escape from it.

Nonsense, these people live in a democratic society and have every right to vote in accordance with what they believe is right for their society. I thought you were the one who is all for people not persecuting other people but here you would rather deny someone else his right to vote on issues that concern his society. I hope you can see your double standard.

Perfect answer
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 8:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Love as defined by the bible. Yes!

But if you mean romantic love then...........
Can it? yes, maybe
Should it? No, definitely not.

What is romantic love, can it be shared btw siblings.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:

No. It has nothing to do with faith; especially you concept of faith. I mean, making an educated guess or practical common sense for things you're used to and things that seem practical in whatever context.

Mr_Anony:
Wow, How does telling someone about Christ become imposition? You are free to accept or reject the message. most preaching these days is about as forceful as a coca-cola advert (some commercial adverts are even more in your face than your regular gospel serrmon). The reason why you perceive it as imposing beliefs on you is because your conscience pricks you every time you here the gospel and you want to escape from it.

I meant using your biblical beliefs when trying to impose your beliefs on the rest of society. I meant using your biblical beliefs as a basis for your prejudice even when it goes agaisnt what we can observe naturally. About your chistian preaching being as forceful as coca cola adverts, I've never seen anybody post anything complaining about noise due to coca cola adverts in Nigeria.

Mr_Anony:

No, I'm not denying anybody the right to vote. I'm talking by christians using their right to vote to interfere with other people's wellbeing. It's not only by voting either. An example will be denying g@y people the opportunity to marry because it conflicts with their religious beliefs. The way I see it, christians are just preventing other people from enjoying some economic benefits from being married but christians see it as a duty to vote agaisnt them because of god. If god doesn't like something about human affairs, then he needs to show up himself and tell everyone.Men saying that "god wants this or that" isn't acceptable.
That's an example of christian morality interfering with othr people. You paragraph was a straw man, lol, how amI trying to take their rights?!!

Mr_Anony:

You just keep repeating this. Apart from the platitude, "we are all equal under god", do you have anything else to say to show that christianity is egalitarian and not hierarchical?

"slaves, obey your masters". Does this phrase belong in the guidebook of a religion that claims equality?

Mr_Anony:

For what reason?? The guy is already living at peace with his neighbors and worshipping his god without imposing or judging others'. Why do you need to put his beliefs to the test? Can't you just live and let live?!
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 9:57pm On Jul 18, 2012
Martian:

No. It has nothing to do with faith; especially you concept of faith. I mean, making an educated guess or practical common sense for things you're used to and things that seem practical in whatever context.
Lol, "my concept of faith"? what exactly do you suppose my concept of faith to be?

I meant using your biblical beliefs when trying to impose your beliefs on the rest of society. I meant using your biblical beliefs as a basis for your prejudice even when it goes agaisnt what we can observe naturally. About your chistian preaching being as forceful as coca cola adverts, I've never seen anybody post anything complaining about noise due to coca cola adverts in Nigeria.
Really? Can you honestly say that you haven't heard of any noisy coca-cola adverts or other such commercial adverts? besides if the core of Christian belief is love, prejudice by nature goes contrary to love. How then can our belief be a basis for prejudice?

No, I'm not denying anybody the right to vote. I'm talking by christians using their right to vote to interfere with other people's wellbeing. It's not only by voting either. An example will be denying g@y people the opportunity to marry because it conflicts with their religious beliefs. The way I see it, christians are just preventing other people from enjoying some economic benefits from being married but christians see it as a duty to vote agaisnt them because of god. If god doesn't like something about human affairs, then he needs to show up himself and tell everyone.Men saying that "god wants this or that" isn't acceptable.
That's an example of christian morality interfering with othr people. You paragraph was a straw man, lol, how amI trying to take their rights?!!
Still more nonsense, whenever you vote one president over another, you have used your right to vote to "interfere with another person's wellbeing".
What about denying people the right to smoke marijuana all because it conflicts with your personal beliefs?
or denying people the right to build a new shopping mall in your area all because you simply don't want it built?
You have no case here.

You just keep repeating this. Apart from the platitude, "we are all equal under god", do you have anything else to say to show that christianity is egalitarian and not hierarchical?

"slaves, obey your masters". Does this phrase belong in the guidebook of a religion that claims equality?
Lol, "slaves obey our masters" as a phrase on it's own is not immoral and it ties in with "turn the other cheek".
Perhaps you may want to show me where in the New Testament it says "Masters oppress your servants" then you'll probably have a case.

For what reason?? The guy is already living at peace with his neighbors and worshipping his god without imposing or judging others'. Why do you need to put his beliefs to the test? Can't you just live and let live?!
Then he won't have a problem if I introduce him to the true God. Because I love him, I can't just stand by and watch him worship in ignorance. I have to show him the truth.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 10:01pm On Jul 18, 2012
Kay 17:

What is romantic love, can it be shared btw siblings.
So we have now moved into the realm of ridiculous questions abi?
Fine, let's play your game: what is siblings? what is shared? what is can? what is btw?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
^ ^^ omo, see as laugh wan kill me for here. You're just brilliant, Anony
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 10:52pm On Jul 18, 2012
I'm not playing any game, you already know its ridiculous to believe Love is the same element that binds all relationships.

There is no universal morality among communities around the world, even love plays diverse roles in the most unusual situations: incest. This is not of speculation or guesses, but a simple observation. AND you have been unable to provide otherwise. The best you can do is use your obscure morality to review others.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, "my concept of faith"? what exactly do you suppose my concept of faith to be?

lol, you know the kind of faith I'm talking about.

Mr_Anony:
Really? Can you honestly say that you haven't heard of any noisy coca-cola adverts or other such commercial adverts? besides if the core of Christian belief is love, prejudice by nature goes contrary to love. How then can our belief be a basis for prejudice?

Because it creates a either/ or mentality. It imposes a false dichotomy based on archaic beliefs. Your perverted idea of love only applies to those who agree with your dogma. Those who don't are the "sinners" who your loving god will tourture forever.

Mr_Anony:
Still more nonsense, whenever you vote one president over another, you have used your right to vote to "interfere with another person's wellbeing".
What about denying people the right to smoke marijuana all because it conflicts with your personal beliefs?
or denying people the right to build a new shopping mall in your area all because you simply don't want it built?
You have no case here.

lol, you really should see how these christians do it in the U.S.... Olaadegbu's Obama madness should give you a clue about how christians try to impose their dogma on everyone regardless of personal beliefs...............Hell, we are going to get to an example of you doing the same thing soon. Your marijuana argument and shopping mall arguments are straw men so I won't bother with them. I'm like a Bob Marley incarnate though.......lol

Mr_Anony:
Lol, "slaves obey our masters" as a phrase on it's own is not immoral and it ties in with "turn the other cheek".
Perhaps you may want to show me where in the New Testament it says "Masters oppress your servants" then you'll probably have a case.

So slavery is not immoral in your book and it's also egalitarian for people to own slaves?
let me point out your hypocrisy. Why did you write "servant" instead of "slave"? Could it be because you know slavery doesn't quite fit in the modern world's profressive moral standards but you loathe to admit that your holy book implicitly endorses it?

Mr_Anony:
Then he won't have a problem if I introduce him to the true God. Because I love him, I can't just stand by and watch him worship in ignorance. I have to show him the truth.

The arrogance. The sheer hubris. This is the example I refered to above. Why can't you live and let live? It's the same kind of "show him the truth" thinking that led to the Romanus Pontifex which later led to your black African a$$ kowtowing to jewish bullsh#t.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:08am On Jul 19, 2012
Martian:
lol, you know the kind of faith I'm talking about.
I trust God the way I trust my senses. If that's the kind of faith you are talking about, then we are in sync.

Martian: Because it creates a either/ or mentality. It imposes a false dichotomy based on archaic beliefs. Your perverted idea of love only applies to those who agree with your dogma. Those who don't are the "sinners" who your loving god will tourture forever.

Oh yes, love cannot stand evil and seeks justice. If a man sins, justice demands that he should pay so God will have to mete out punishment, however Jesus Christ was sent to deliver us from sin. If a man decides to reject God's gift, then it is not God's fault that the man chose hell. Why should God force him into His presence forever against his will?

Perverted idea of love? Would you mind telling me about this unperverted love that you seem to know of.

Martian: lol, you really should see how these christians do it in the U.S.... Olaadegbu's Obama madness should give you a clue about how christians try to impose their dogma on everyone regardless of personal beliefs...............Hell, we are going to get to an example of you doing the same thing soon. Your marijuana argument and shopping mall arguments are straw men so I won't bother with them. I'm like a Bob Marley incarnate though.......lol
On the highlighted, please show this example.
Funny enough Olaadegbu posts his opinions on an internet forum, he doesn't force anybody to accept them.
The marijuana and shopping mall instances were examples of situations where no matter on which side you vote, you are "interfering with someone's wellbeing".

Martian: So slavery is not immoral in your book and it's also egalitarian for people to own slaves?
let me point out your hypocrisy. Why did you write "servant" instead of "slave"? Could it be because you know slavery doesn't quite fit in the modern world's profressive moral standards but you loathe to admit that your holy book implicitly endorses it?
"slaves obey your masters" is not endorsing slavery but is directed at the slave telling him how to act towards his master. That is not the evil in slavery. The evil in slavery is masters oppressing slaves. Now please show where it says "Masters oppress your slaves" in the New testament. (....and oh sorry about using the word servant in place of slave)

Martian: The arrogance. The sheer hubris. This is the example I refered to above. Why can't you live and let live? It's the same kind of "show him the truth" thinking that led to the Romanus Pontifex which later led to your black African a$$ kowtowing to jewish bullsh#t.
Arrogance?? Since when did it become sheer arrogance to tell someone the truth in love?
Will you apply the live and let live philosophy if your wife was dancing dangerously at the edge of a cliff? Is it arrogance to warn her that she is in danger of falling to her death?
No my friend, we share the gospel because we do not want people to go to hell and that includes you. I love you too much to just let you go to hell. I will continue to preach it until you and others like you see the truth.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 6:12am On Jul 19, 2012
Here we go again, HELL.

1. Did you forget that at least six world religions also have hell. What if any of them is the right religion?

2. Why would a so-called Omnipotent Creator need to use eternal hell to generate worship from his mere creatures?

3. Mr Anony, Will you still serve this God (infact, will you be a moral person) even if there is no heaven or hell?

These are some the senseless absurdities that makes religion repulsive to many people.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by caezar: 10:21am On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
So we have now moved into the realm of ridiculous questions abi?
Fine, let's play your game: what is siblings? what is shared? what is can? what is btw?

Respect.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:41pm On Jul 19, 2012
cyrexx: Here we go again, HELL.

1. Did you forget that at least six world religions also have hell. What if any of them is the right religion?

2. Why would a so-called Omnipotent Creator need to use eternal hell to generate worship from his mere creatures?

3. Mr Anony, Will you still serve this God (infact, will you be a moral person) even if there is no heaven or hell?

These are some the senseless absurdities that makes religion repulsive to many people.

Lol, you seem to really dread hell.

1. All different religions must be put to the test so as to determine their "rightness".
2. Misconception. We don't worship God because we are afraid of hell, we worship God because He created us and He loves us even before we came to know Him.
3. Will I still serve God if there was no heaven and hell? Yes. In fact I will not even be able to not serve Him.

About senseless absurdities, I will tell you what is a senseless absurdity: It is atheism.
Atheism says that man's existence is meaningless and that anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded. This is most absurd.

2 Likes

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 19, 2012
^ Sweet grin
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I trust God the way I trust my senses. If that's the kind of faith you are talking about, then we are in sync.

Good for you.

Mr_Anony:
Oh yes, love cannot stand evil and seeks justice. If a man sins, justice demands that he should pay so God will have to mete out punishment, however Jesus Christ was sent to deliver us from sin. If a man decides to reject God's gift, then it is not God's fault that the man chose hell. Why should God force him into His presence forever against his will?

How is eternal punishment for the sins of a lifetime spanning an average of 75 years fair? I'll just leave you to your convuluted doctrines about heaven/hell/god/eternity. It's a waste of time because it's all mythology to me
anyway.

Mr_Anony:
Funny enough Olaadegbu posts his opinions on an internet forum, he doesn't force anybody to accept them.
The marijuana and shopping mall instances were examples of situations where no matter on which side you vote, you are "interfering with someone's wellbeing".

Where do you think he gets his opinions but from the christian propaganda machines? Olaadegbu can't impose his views on anyone because he doesn't even live in the county he's obsessed with. But the people he gets the materials from do try to impose their myopia on everyone regardless of beliefs.
Marijuana and shopping malls are practical matters that can be resolved and are resolved through reasoning. The people who support or oppose marijuana or shopping malls do not cite their religious dogmas when the issues come up, so you can't put them in the same category as christian opposition of stem cell research, abortion, science, equal marraiage rights, etc. based on the "word of god".

What you can't seem to understand or refuse to understand is that what you call the "word of god" is nothing but an ancient book with primitive beliefs to other people. Your so called "truth" is yours and not to be imposed on others.

Mr_Anony:
"slaves obey your masters" is not endorsing slavery but is directed at the slave telling him how to act towards his master. That is not the evil in slavery. The evil in slavery is masters oppressing slaves. Now please show where it says "Masters oppress your slaves" in the New testament. (....and oh sorry about using the word servant in place of slave)

So according to your supreme moral code courtesy of the almighty jew, the evil in slavery is the oppression.
It seem mankind's moral code as evolved past that because in most progressive societies, the evil in slavery is the ownership of another person. Not oppression. The very act of owning another person is what I, with my man made moral code, think is evil. I'm sure most people would agree, except for christians like you of course.
"Slaves obey your masters" is not endorsing slavery? How dishonest can you be?!!!
You claim equality under your hebrew superman, yet the guidebook is giving instructions to slaves on how to be properly owned. Where is the equality in a Master/Slave relationship?
Judging by your morals, slavery should still be legal and you should still be on a plantation somewhere obeying your master.

Mr_Anony:
On the highlighted, please show this example.

Here is ANOTHER eample of you being a self righteous, arrogant, ignorant, christian.

Mr_Anony:
Arrogance?? Since when did it become sheer arrogance to tell someone the truth in love?
Will you apply the live and let live philosophy if your wife was dancing dangerously at the edge of a cliff? Is it arrogance to warn her that she is in danger of falling to her death?
No my friend, [b]we share the gospel because we do not want people to go to hell and that includes you. [/b]I love you too much to just let you go to hell. I will continue to preach it until you and others like you see the truth.

The guy is already living a good life, being tolerant of his neighbors, being a law abiding citizen, and worshipping the God of his culture. What gives your black a$$ the right to push your jewish beliefs on him?
Hell is what you believe in, rational people don't take your ideas seriously and you shoud learn to let people be without "preaching the gospel" at them. If they want to live by your gospel, they will come to your church.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Enigma(m): 12:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Lol, you seem to really dread hell

1. All different religions must be put to the test so as to determine their "rightness".
2. Misconception. We don't worship God because we are afraid of hell, we worship God because He created us and He loves us even before we came to know Him.
3. Will I still serve God if there was no heaven and hell? Yes. In fact I will not even be able to not serve Him.

About senseless absurdities, I will tell you what is a senseless absurdity: It is atheism.
Atheism says that man's existence is meaningless and that anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded. This is most absurd.

When evangelical atheists say they have read the Bible but only ever come up with the same "contradictions" or what we Christians call "difficult passages", they wonder why we are tempted to laugh at them for their ignorance or to shake head sadly for them for their duplicity/dishonesty ---- because of course they fail to point out or explore basic things/passages in the Bible as e.g.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has to do with punishment. He that fears is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

cool

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Lol, you're confusing atheism with absurdist/existentialist philosophies. Anyway, absurdism doesn't imply that anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. It generally states that religion is one of the ways that people use to deal with the absurdities of life and give meaning to their existence.
And it's apparent that it's true becaue you've said times without number that your god and your religion give meaning to your life. That's the observation of aburdist philosophy.

Mr_Anony:
In fact I will not even be able to not serve Him.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
[quote author=Martian]

Good for you.
Great for me. Thank God!

How is eternal punishment for the sins of a lifetime spanning an average of 75 years fair? I'll just leave you to your convuluted doctrines about heaven/hell/god/eternity. It's a waste of time because it's all mythology to me
anyway.
It is fair in the same way eternal reward for righteousness spanning a short lifetime of 75 years is fair.

Where do you think he gets his opinions but from the christian propaganda machines? Olaadegbu can't impose his views on anyone because he doesn't even live in the county he's obsessed with. But the people he gets the materials from do try to impose their myopia on everyone regardless of beliefs.
Marijuana and shopping malls are practical matters that can be resolved and are resolved through reasoning. The people who support or oppose marijuana or shopping malls do not cite their religious dogmas when the issues come up, so you can't put them in the same category as christian opposition of stem cell research, abortion, science, equal marraiage rights, etc. based on the "word of god".
You are yet to show me exactly how these christians are imposing anything on you other than letting their opinions be heard either by telling other people what they believe or voting in accordance with their beliefs, just like you also share your opinions and vote. Perhaps your problem with them is that they are outvoting you. Too bad.

What you can't seem to understand or refuse to understand is that what you call the "word of god" is nothing but an ancient book with primitive beliefs to other people. Your so called "truth" is yours and not to be imposed on others.
Well my friend, you still haven't been able to come up with a "better truth" than the one found in this ancient book

So according to your supreme moral code courtesy of the almighty jew, the evil in slavery is the oppression.
It seem mankind's moral code as evolved past that because in most progressive societies, the evil in slavery is the ownership of another person. Not oppression. The very act of owning another person is what I, with my man made moral code, think is evil. I'm sure most people would agree, except for christians like you of course.
"Slave obey your masters" is not endorsing slavery? How dishonest can you be?!!!
You claim equality under your hebrew superman, yet the guidebook is giving instructions to slaves on how to be properly owned. Where is the equality in a Master/Slave relationship?
Judging by your morals, slavery should still be legal and you should still be on a plantation somewhere obeying your master.
Funny chap, don't you know that whoever/whatever has authority over you and can control you is your master in a sense? The sin is not in serving, the sin is in the oppression.

Here is ANOTHER eample of you being a self righteous, arrogant, ignorant, tactless christian.
Lol, I am not self-righteous, God is my righteousness, I am not arrogant neither am I not ignorant. I know the God that knows all things. Perhaps I am tactless but then, tact is a relative thing.

The guy is already living a good life, being tolerant of his neighbors, being a law abiding citizen, and worshipping the God of his culture. What gives your black a$$ the right to push your jewish beliefs on him?

There was a guy just like that in the bible; his name was Cornelius. You see if you are truly living a "good life", you will immediately jump for joy when you hear the good news of Christ.

Hell is what you believe in, rational people don't take your ideas seriously and you shoud learn to let people be without "preaching the gospel" at them. If they want to live by your gospel, they will come to your church.
Lol, Hell is real and reasonable people know it, the fact that you have chosen to delete hell from your reality is your problem. I don't preach the gospel at anyone, I preach the gospel to people. I cannot wait for someone to come to a building to hear the gospel. I have to take it out to them. I can't help it, the gospel is such good news and I am way too excited about it that I can't just keep it to myself.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
Martian:

Lol, you're confusing atheism with absurdist/existentialist philosophies. Anyway, absurdism doesn't imply that anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. It generally states that religion is one of the ways that people use to deal with the absurdities of life and give meaning to their existence.
And it's apparent that it's true becaue you've said times without number that your god and your religion give meaning to your life. That's the observation of aburdist philosophy.

Give me one logical reason why I should discard the reason for my existence and replace it with a no-reason
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You are yet to show me exactly how these christians are imposing anything on you other than letting their opinions be heard either by telling other people what they believe or voting in accordance with their beliefs, just like you also share your opinions and vote. Perhaps your problem with them is that they are outvoting you. Too bad.

Voting in accordance with their beliefs is cool,everyone does. What I'm pointing out is that there is no logical reason for what they oppose except the same old religious dogmas, but fortunately, living in a secular country ensures that their radical views are not enforced on others. Everything christians oppose is their prerogative, all I'm saying is that they shouldn't bother trying to enforce their views on society at large. If they don't like abortion amongst themselves, fine, but making it hard for others ho don't share their beliefs is jut asinine.

Though they're unwavering in their opposition to embryonic stem cell research, conservative Christians know they face a stiff uphill climb in the court of public opinion, especially after culturally conservative Missouri voters amended their state Constitution to protect embryonic stem cell research in 2006. The Christian right hasn't been able to reverse public support for embryonic stem cell research, but it has made progress. A Pew poll shows that support for embryonic stem cell research is eroding somewhat, from 57 percent in 2005 to 51 percent in 2007.
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/god-and-country/2009/03/09/the-politics-behind-obamas-embryonic-stem-cell-research-decision

You don't like stem cell research, fine. But don't try to stop progress just because your religious sensibilities are offended. You don't like it, then don't try to benefit from it.......................yeah right, christians would be inline with everybody else if stem cell research proves productive

Mr_Anony: Well my friend, you still haven't been able to come up with a "better truth" than the one found in this ancient book

I'm not trying to present a "better truth" but to show you that your "truth" is just your belief. Your subjective beiefs are not universal and if you can understand this then you will understand "live and let live".
Where do you live by the way?

Mr_Anony: Funny chap, don't you know that whoever/whatever has authority over you and can control you is your master in a sense? The sin is not in serving, the sin is in the oppression

No!! Man!!! Having authority over someone doesn't mean that they are your master. You have a choice to walk away for any relationship, both professional and personal, but does a slave have that choice?
The "sin" is not in the oppression, the "sin" is the ownership of another human beings. Slavery is not the same as willingness to be under the authority of someone. considering the way some of you reason,it's no wonder your ancestors were enslaved and colonised for almost 400 years. slavery = serving?! The myopia must be genetic.
Slavery is not serving someone. It is being "owned" by someone. People get compensated for their service, slaves do not even have the right to demand compensation excpet food to keep them alive like livestock.

Mr_Anony: There was a guy just like that in the bible; his name was Cornelius. You see if you are truly living a "good life", you will immediately jump for joy when you hear the good news of Christ.

There was also a guy called Gilgamesh, who slayed the bull of heaven and then met the only survivor of the great flood.............

Mr_Anony:
Lol, Hell is real and reasonable people know it, the fact that you have chosen to delete hell from your reality is your problem. I don't preach the gospel at anyone, I preach the gospel to people. I cannot wait for someone to come to a building to hear the gospel. I have to take it out to them. I can't help it, the gospel is such good news and I am way too excited about it that I can't just keep it to myself.

Sugarcandy mountain is also very real and those who can't get in will go to hell where the punishment will the the absence of sugar and every other sweet thing forever and ever and ever and ever.....................
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Give me one logical reason why I should discard the reason for my existence and replace it with a no-reason

I don't have any reason to tell you to discard your religion. Most of you are not mentaly equipped to deal with the existential angst that may come with realizing the non existence of your gods and the wishful thinking that gives you hope. Hold on to tightly to your faith.

Absurdism observes how people deal with the "meaning/meaninglessness of life".
Yours is the jewish fairy tale about yahweh's love/heaven/ hell and jesus.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Pastor Prays For "Miracle Money" To Enter Members' Bank Accounts / Osun Ushers In 2021 With Inter-Religious Prayer (Pictures) / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.