Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? (14755 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 2:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
I didn't say cannibalism is universally immoral, but that its unpleasant to admit it.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

You are being silly and you (should) know it. The inconsistency is with your atheism and holding cannibalism to be "universally immoral". The two are incompatible as I have shown you before; and as atheist "intellectuals" like Nietszche, Sartre etc acknowledged as I have also pointed out to you previously. wink

cool

Why don't you come out in planer ways and give your opinions as its hard to follow your exact meanings...
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Delafruita(m): 2:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

If you mean your own question, my answer is that "morality" is not possible without an objective reference point which may possibly be what you mean by an "authoritative source".

I have placed "morality" in quotes very deliberately because another issue would be whether you regard "morality", as you are using it, as universal or relative/local/individual etc.

For example, the logic that many atheists have presented here is that cannibalism is not immoral insofar as it is acceptable in a/the particular society where it is practised.

Can we say cannibalism is always and universally immoral?

cool
there is nothing like universally moral or universally immoral.however there's certain things that are called crimes and those go beyond the case of morality or immorality.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Delafruita(m): 2:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45:

Why don't you come out in planer ways and give your opinions as its hard to follow your exact meanings...
what you really want to hear is that everybosy needs god as an authoritative figure.sorry to burst your bubble bro,but thats just not the case
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Enigma(m): 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
EDIT ballsed up copy and paste!

cyrexx: cyrexx:

you mean the cannibalism of when Jesus says his followers should eat his flesh and drink his blood

and genocide of when the bloodthirsty Yahweh orders his followers to murder everyone in the whole town including all children and women.

Oh, basis for moral indeed!

you mean the "genocide" of when the bloodthirsty Yahweh orders his followers to murder everyone in the whole town including all children and women.

It was right in those days but wrong in these days, abi?

basis for objective morality indeed!

^^^ If you are trying to get my attention, I ignored that previously because it is simply juvenile.

And I am not insulting you, just stating a fact. I think even honest and objective atheists will tell you the same.

cool

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
If you're brought up by a serial killer, that'll be your moral base 'cause you don't know better. Same applies to those brought up by tree-hugging hippies, in a tree-hugging hippie environment. But if you grow up without external influence (say in a secular orphange), you'll see your moral base leaning more towards karma.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:
what you really want to hear is that everybosy needs god as an authoritative figure.sorry to burst your bubble bro,but thats just not the case

Mr Delafruita

Why are you trying to say what is not? Mr, I am not a theist so which of what you 'bolded' do you think i am referring to....
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Enigma(m): 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kay 17: I didn't say cannibalism is universally immoral, but that its unpleasant to admit it.

Oh sorry then; so you admit also that cannibalism can be moral? Then I have no problem with your atheism stance then and the issue of compatibility. smiley

mkmyers45:

I think my opinion and meaning are clear enough. One thing that has become clear to me though is that you still ned to do a lot of careful thinking on the topic.

Wish you all the best. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
@mkmyers, It is clear that you purposely didn't understand me. You are letting your anti-God bias get in the way. Please read my words in red.

mkmyers45:

WRONG....An authoritative figure cannot be limited to a super-natural being as humans can serve as such figures...
1. The point was that the more authority and power an entity has, the more qualified it is to judge. Omnipotent would mean ultimate power and authority.
I had not yet gotten to supernatural vs natural, I was only laying criteria.

WRONG...Even human law-makers cannot fully understand all concept so how do we then get laws of right and wrong?
2. The point again here is that for an entity to qualify as the best judge in any case, it must fully understand everything about right and wrong. The more it knows, the better it's judgment. ultimate knowledge would be omniscience i.e. the most knowledgeable.
Unless you are saying that human law makers are omniscient, I fail to see your contention.

Ok, What about the biblical account of Uzzah? Was things seen from his own angle?
3.I won't answer this question yet because i have not yet laid out any entity I am only supplying criteria for judgment, and I don't know if you agree or disagree with the criteria laid out. But the point is that the more angles from which you can observe a case, the better you will be at making judgment. All-seeing simply means that one can see from every angle possible. So do you agree with this criteria?

Ok
I take it you agree with 4 and 5

NONSENSE...Please how do you relate permissiveness and change of standard?
6. This is simple, The ultimate judge must be firm. what is evil must always be evil and what is good must always be good i.e good is rewarded and evil is punished, but this doesn't mean that If the judge chooses to be merciful and not punish an evil, that it automatically makes that evil good because the judge allowed it for the time being.

I dont get this statement...mind re-phrasing?
7. The point here is that the entity must be singular and not comprised of different contradicting parts. That's quite clear.

Do you agree? = NO, I DONT

The bolded you didn't understand was simple if u didn't already have a bias. I was stating that the validity of any judge may be based on:-
1. How much power it has,
2. How much it knows about the case
3. If it can see the case from diverse veiwpoints,
4. If it has a good conscience and yet discernible
5. If it is impartial
6. If it is firm and unwavering
7. If it is singular in essense and purpose

Do you agree now with these criteria for a moral authority?

If you don't, please explain why. And then absent your anti-God bias, please provide separate criteria a moral authority must meet.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 2:55pm On Jul 15, 2012
Mr_Anony: @mkmyers, It is clear that you purposely didn't understand me. You are letting your anti-God bias get in the way. Please read my words in red.

The bolded you didn't understand was simple if u didn't already have a bias. I was stating that the validity of any judge may be based on:-
1. How much power it has,
2. How much it knows about the case
3. If it can see the case from diverse veiwpoints,
4. If it has a good conscience and yet discernible
5. If it is impartial
6. If it is firm and unwavering
7. If it is singular in essense and purpose

Do you agree now with these criteria for a moral authority?

If you don't, please explain why. And then absent your anti-God bias, please provide separate criteria a moral authority must meet.

@Bolded...I am not anti-God

Ok, in some ways more than one it may be so...

Lets move forward with your points...
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 2:55pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

Oh sorry then; so you admit also that cannibalism can be moral? Then I have no problem with your atheism stance then and the issue of compatibility. smiley

I think my opinion and meaning are clear enough. One thing that has become clear to me though is that you still ned to do a lot of careful thinking on the topic.

Wish you all the best. smiley

Sir, can you kindly summarize everything you've been saying into two simple sentences...
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 2:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

^^^ If you are trying to get my attention, I ignored that previously because it is simply juvenile.

And I am not insulting you, just stating a fact. I think even honest and objective atheists will tell you the same.

LOL,
I disagree

besides, i am not looking for your attention, i dont need it.

I posted that to show (not just you) that the basis for morality you are talking about is not universal. any honest reader, theist or atheist, will agree with me.

I only posted it second time when i felt its relevant to what's being discussed. Your disagreement doesn't automatically render it juvenile.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Enigma(m): 3:03pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45:

Sir, can you kindly summarize everything you've been saying into two simple sentences...

My posts have all been very short ---- and deliberately so. In fact, I think your inquiry was already sufficiently addressed when I answered your question at your behest with the below.

Enigma:

If you mean your own question, my answer is that "morality" is not possible without an objective reference point which may possibly be what you mean by an "authoritative source".

I have placed "morality" in quotes very deliberately because another issue would be whether you regard "morality", as you are using it, as universal or relative/local/individual etc.

For example, the logic that many atheists have presented here is that cannibalism is not immoral insofar as it is acceptable in a/the particular society where it is practised.

Can we say cannibalism is always and universally immoral?

cool

Again, at your latest request: there is need for an objective reference point when deciding on morality.

Is that objective reference point merely the society/environment in which one finds oneself? If we say it is, then we will have to accept that anything at all (cannibalism, genocide etc etc) can be moral. If anything at all can be moral and, as you say, depending on time and place, then what is your problem with "God" as in can you then justly accuse "God" of acting "immorally"?

smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 3:04pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

Therefore:

- cannibalism can be moral as it has been at some places and times.

- genocide can be moral as it has been at some places and times.

What then is your problem with "God" again? wink

cool

I agree with Mazaje that morality is always dependent on place and time in history, and as you yourself rightly stated, "morality" is not possible without an objective reference point. I do see your what you're getting at here though.

However, the problem with "God" is that, considering the attributes generously bestowed upon him (omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, omnibenevolence), one would expect that his own sense of morality should easily transcend any time and place in history. According to the bible, he is the same yesterday, today and forever. Therefore, if God was "right" to have ordered genocide and slavery in the past, then by his very nature described in the bible, he still holds the same views today and tomorrow, and everyone should really be wary of him.

Now, if one of those super attributes were withdrawn, then maybe, just maybe, not many would have much "problems" with "God".
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2012
Oh No, Front page?! No! no no and no!!! undecided
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2012
Authoritative source has nothing to do with morality...

Morality is a culturally conditioned response, and an individual's level of consciousness.

The first morals a person learns is indoctrinated into them by their parents at an early age - that lays the foundation for everything.

Your level of consciousness and societal values (culture) take charge from there.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by plaetton: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
frosbel: Atheism is by definition a no God existence, but there still resides within these ingrates that gift of conscience and awareness of right or wrong , therefore it is not unusual to see some of these creatures exhibit some flashes of goodness from time to time.

However , when a state is founded on atheist ideologies like Maoism and Stalinism, what we have is a pretty much 'lawless' society where human life is devalued and morality becomes a relative term.

Just look at Russia and the effect of decades of atheism, Vodka addiction, violence, the most horrendous kind of racism and gross intolerance for the ideas for a democratic society.

Atheists without Christ are a lost cause and of all men to be the most pitied.

Only Christ can deliver them from their almost seemingly impenetrable blindness.

This is harsh but true.

And just look at Nigeria and the effects of centuries of jesus and mohammed. jesus and mohammed are part of the reasons why you are not enjoying, the warmth and fresh air of your native land.

Athiesm was not the driving force behind communism. It was the quest for equality. It was an experiment, albeit, a failed one.
Just look at all the basket case economies in the world and you will find an abundance of religious fervour.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
I dont believe that an authority is overlying morality,but spirituality.To say that morality is linked to the existence of a godhead is illogical and cannot be proven, and that which cannot be proven is a fallacy.morality does exist in the abscence of a godhead.Though the presence of an authority may induce morality in some cases,it ll be a fallacy to make it the only determinant of morality.The presence of atheists proves it to be a fallacy (except you are telling me that atheists believe subconsciously in God).Since atheists dnt believe in anything,it wont be bad labelling them all immoral (from your own words).

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45:
@Bolded...I am not anti-God

Ok, in some ways more than one it may be so...

Lets move forward with your points...
Ok, let me agree that you are not anti-God.

Now, I need you to make a firmer statement. ".....in some ways more than one it may be so....." is not firm enough for me. It is either you totally agree with the criteria or you don't and wish to make some amendments. If we cannot firmly agree on a basis for judgment, we cannot move forward with our discourse.

By the way, I noticed the thread has made frontpage so I think I'm going to stay off it for a while until the excitement has died down a bit and then we'll continue, plus I have to go to church soon.

Cheers
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
Reyginus: I dont believe that an authority is overlying morality,but spirituality.To say that morality is linked to the existence of a godhead is illogical and cannot be proven, and that which cannot be proven is a fallacy.morality can exist in the presence/abscence of a godhead.Though the presence of an authority may command morality,it ll be a fallacy to restrict it there.The presence of atheists proves it to be a fallacy (except you are telling me that atheists believe subconsciously in God).

Apologies, but this post of yours makes little or no logical sense.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by plaetton: 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
Enigma:

First of all, I am not sure you are right as there are probably still cannibalistic societies out there.

More importantly in any event, you are saying cannibalism was moral yesterday but it is not today.

[b]Genocide was moral in Rwanda only a few years ago but maybe it is not moral there anymore.

[/b]So "morality" to you is basically dependent on place and time! smiley

In what way was genocide moral in Rwanda? The perps were driven by hate and clearly understood the evil the were doing.

In times past, every society defined its own moral boundaries. The more peoples and societies interacted , the more their moral boundries converge.
As we live in a global village today, we can say that much of world share the same basic moral precepts. Most moral precepts have been gradually replaced with ethical laws and codes of conduct.

For example, even a community decides to engage in slavery or cannibalism, it would be in violation of the laws of the nation state, its continental cummunity laws such as EU,Ecowas or AU, and of course, the UN charter of human rights.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 3:44pm On Jul 15, 2012
shymmex: Authoritative source has nothing to do with morality...

Morality is a culturally conditioned response, and an individual's level of consciousness.

The first morals a person learns is indoctrinated into them by their parents at an early age - that lays the foundation for everything.

Your level of consciousness and societal values (culture) take charge from there.

is that not an authoritative source?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 15, 2012
This post has been erased
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 3:46pm On Jul 15, 2012
Reyginus: I dont believe that an authority is overlying morality,but spirituality.To say that morality is linked to the existence of a godhead is illogical and cannot be proven, and that which cannot be proven is a fallacy.morality can exist in the presence/abscence of a godhead.Though the presence of an authority may command morality,it ll be a fallacy to restrict it there.The presence of atheists proves it to be a fallacy (except you are telling me that atheists believe subconsciously in God).

The authority talked about here is not restricted to a 'God-head'

Cheers
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 3:47pm On Jul 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Ok, let me agree that you are not anti-God.

Now, I need you to make a firmer statement. ".....in some ways more than one it may be so....." is not firm enough for me. It is either you totally agree with the criteria or you don't and wish to make some amendments. If we cannot firmly agree on a basis for judgment, we cannot move forward with our discourse.

By the way, I noticed the thread has made frontpage so I think I'm going to stay off it for a while until the excitement has died down a bit and then we'll continue, plus I have to go to church soon.

Cheers

Ok, for the purpose of enlightenment i agree with your points...
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 3:49pm On Jul 15, 2012
Reyginus: Show me where i went wrong then

I dont believe that an authority is overlying morality,but spirituality.To say that morality is linked to the existence of a godhead is illogical and cannot be proven, and that which cannot be proven is a fallacy.morality can exist in the presence/abscence of a godhead.Though the presence of an authority may command morality,it ll be a fallacy to restrict it there.The presence of atheists proves it to be a fallacy (except you are telling me that atheists believe subconsciously in God)

mkmyers45:

The authority talked about here is not restricted to a 'God-head'

Cheers
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
Reyginus: Show me where i went wrong then
Of course I will, but a bit later. I dey come
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 15, 2012
The problem with the 'Intellectual Atheists' on Nairaland is that they keep assuming that the Christian God is an all-benevolent deity.

Study every religion, every deity is a duality of benevolence and malevolence.

There is NO god elsewhere that does not reward his/her followers and punish the infidels.

So why do you expect the christian God to be some sort of father-christmas in the sky?
Even our bible in Deut 4:24 states that "The Lord your God is a consuming fire"

Yes we know religion may be an artificial construct designed by man to make sense of unfamiliar situations.
Yes we know religion has long been a tool to manipulate the masses in the name of God
Yes we know some pastors are getting rich of christianity

Yes we know at the end of the day, amadioha might have been the true god after all

BUT we choose to believe in our lord Jesus Christ as our saviour...
If you dont believe, its cool....

But stop the religion bashing on here for faacksake!

Fanatical Atheists are no different from Fanatical Theists...

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45:

Ok, for the purpose of enlightenment i agree with your points...
Ok fine, I now challenge you to provide a moral judge that fits all those criteria other than God or better than God.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by mkmyers45(m): 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
jackbauersballs: The problem with the 'Intellectual Atheists' on Nairaland is that they keep assuming that the Christian God is an all-benevolent deity.

Study every religion, every deity is a duality of benevolence and malevolence.

There is NO god elsewhere that does not reward his/her followers and punish the infidels.

So why do you expect the christian God to be some sort of father-christmas in the sky?
Even our bible in Deut 4:24 states that "The Lord your God is a consuming fire"

Yes we know religion may be an artificial construct designed by man to make sense of unfamiliar situations.
Yes we know religion has long been a tool to manipulate the masses in the name of God
Yes we know some pastors are getting rich of christianity

Yes we know at the end of the day, amadioha might have been the true god after all

BUT we choose to believe in our lord Jesus Christ as our saviour...
If you dont believe, its cool....

But stop the religion bashing on here for faacksake!

Fanatical Atheists are no different from Fanatical Theists...

Dude...did you read this post at all or is your childish brain on compulsive impulse to post without comprehending?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
mkmyers45:

is that not an authoritative source?

My bad, I thought you guys were talking about God as the authoritative source....
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
Quick to fish out the errors(maybe to humiliate), but slow to recommend a solution-THE HEART OF MAN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? / Evolution 101 / The Joshua Iginla Matter By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.