Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! (7775 Views)

Amaechi, Ayade, Ita-Giwa March For 'Plant-A-Tree' Event At Calabar Carnival / Traffic Law: Lagos Lists Vehicles That Can Operate From 6am-9pm / Climate Change: Lagos May Vanish In 50 Years - Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 4:27am On Jul 16, 2012
antitpiah:

And they are doing that by . . . planting flowers?

My grand mother was trying to plant some trees in her compound the other day, she broke her back in the process and now she is bed ridden . . . hows that for better life and environment?

If you sabi the importance of planting trees, u no go ask such ignorant, shallow and unintelligent question. No offense.

About your grand mother? I don't believe you. Where were you and and why did you and the rest of the males and other members of your family allow your grandmother to do menial or hard work like tree planting? You people are too lazy or you just have no respect for your grandmother ni?

Lastly, your grandmother breaking her back while planting tree doesn't change the fact that tree planting is good for us and the rest of the world. Accidents is part of life. People die in car accidents everyday, but it doesn't mean driving cars is no good and we should all stop driving.

You people need to get off these ignorant and layman nonsense.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 4:30am On Jul 16, 2012
Top 10 Reasons Why Trees Are Valuable and Important

Trees are important, valuable and necessary to our very existence. It's not too hard to believe that, without trees we humans would not exist on this beautiful planet. In fact, some claim can be made that our mother's and father's ancestors climbed trees - another debate for another site.
Still, trees are essential to life as we know it and are the ground troops on an environmental frontline. Our existing forest and the trees we plant work in tandem to make a better world.

1. Trees Produce Oxygen
Let's face it, we could not exist as we do if there were no trees. A mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen in a season as 10 people inhale in a year. What many people don't realize is the forest also acts as a giant filter that cleans the air we breath.
2. Trees Clean the Soil
The term phytoremediation is a fancy word for the absorption of dangerous chemicals and other pollutants that have entered the soil. Trees can either store harmful pollutants or actually change the pollutant into less harmful forms. Trees filter sewage and farm chemicals, reduce the effects of animal wastes, clean roadside spills and clean water runoff into streams.
3. Trees Control Noise Pollution
Trees muffle urban noise almost as effectively as stone walls. Trees, planted at strategic points in a neighborhood or around your house, can abate major noises from freeways and airports.
4. Trees Slow Storm Water Runoff
Flash flooding can be dramatically reduced by a forest or by planting trees. One Colorado blue spruce, either planted or growing wild, can intercept more than 1000 gallons of water annually when fully grown. Underground water-holding aquifers are recharged with this slowing down of water runoff.
5. Trees Are Carbon Sinks
To produce its food, a tree absorbs and locks away carbon dioxide in the wood, roots and leaves. Carbon dioxide is a global warming suspect. A forest is a carbon storage area or a "sink" that can lock up as much carbon as it produces. This locking-up process "stores" carbon as wood and not as an available "greenhouse" gas.
6. Trees Clean the Air
Trees help cleanse the air by intercepting airborne particles, reducing heat, and absorbing such pollutants as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide. Trees remove this air pollution by lowering air temperature, through respiration, and by retaining particulates.
7. Trees Shade and Cool
Shade resulting in cooling is what a tree is best known for. Shade from trees reduces the need for air conditioning in summer. In winter, trees break the force of winter winds, lowering heating costs. Studies have shown that parts of cities without cooling shade from trees can literally be "heat islands" with temperatures as much as 12 degrees Fahrenheit higher than surrounding areas.
8. Trees Act as Windbreaks
During windy and cold seasons, trees located on the windward side act as windbreaks. A windbreak can lower home heating bills up to 30% and have a significant effect on reducing snow drifts. A reduction in wind can also reduce the drying effect on soil and vegetation behind the windbreak and help keep precious topsoil in place.
9. Trees Fight Soil Erosion
Erosion control has always started with tree and grass planting projects. Tree roots bind the soil and their leaves break the force of wind and rain on soil. Trees fight soil erosion, conserve rainwater and reduce water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
10. Trees Increase Property Values
Real estate values increase when trees beautify a property or neighborhood. Trees can increase the property value of your home by 15% or more.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 4:42am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile:

If you sabi the importance of planting trees, u no go ask such ignorant, shallow and unintelligent question. No offense.

Why dont you tell me professor, I am here to learn from your awesome self.

About your grand mother? I don't believe you./quote]

I dont believe you dont believe me.

[quote]Where were you and and why did your and the rest of the males and other members of your family allow your grandmother to do menial or hand work like tree planting? You people are too lazy or you just have no respect for your grandmother ni?

First off, she insisted on doing it herself, She has always been hardworking and a hands-on person, Secondly, she broke her back while planting the tree in her toilet, she wanted to follow the pimpled face governors advice to the letter. That is, what is sauce for the family compound, is sauce for the bathroom. So in the process of planting a tree, an iroko tree, in her bathroom, she slipped, fell, and the tree fell over her. Now she is bedridden and too ill to work and unable to give me pocket money. . . See how your pay-master's ill thought advice has changed my life for the worse, Now i have to start looking for job in my young age of 24. lipsrsealed

I guess my question is hows planing Okra flowers gonna change anything? Hows that gonna bring food to my table? Hows that gonna pay for my grandma's hospital bill and flight to and from MGH? Please answer
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 4:57am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile: Top 10 Reasons Why Trees Are Valuable and Important
1. Trees Produce Oxygen

Can you prove that using third order differential equation?

How do they do that. Tree actually contribute to noise pollution especially in windy areas

Prove that using the modified solow model.

6. Trees Clean the Air

Doesnt that contradict Legendre transform as it relates to Gibbs energy, especially spontaneous reactions ? Please prove me wrong
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 4:58am On Jul 16, 2012
antitpiah:

Why dont you tell me professor, I am here to learn from your awesome self.

Though you are too lazy to read up and understand the importance of tree planting which is even available all over google, I still posted something for you to read and educate yourself with.

I still don't believe your silly story about your grandmother. Who plants tree in the toilet? You are just another ignorant troll and a circus clown on NL. Even your comedic skills su.uckkkss
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 4:58am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile: Top 10 Reasons Why Trees Are Valuable and Important

Trees are important, valuable and necessary to our very existence. It's not too hard to believe that, without trees we humans would not exist on this beautiful planet. In fact, some claim can be made that our mother's and father's ancestors climbed trees - another debate for another site.
Still, trees are essential to life as we know it and are the ground troops on an environmental frontline. Our existing forest and the trees we plant work in tandem to make a better world.

1. Trees Produce Oxygen
Let's face it, we could not exist as we do if there were no trees. A mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen in a season as 10 people inhale in a year. What many people don't realize is the forest also acts as a giant filter that cleans the air we breath.
2. Trees Clean the Soil
The term phytoremediation is a fancy word for the absorption of dangerous chemicals and other pollutants that have entered the soil. Trees can either store harmful pollutants or actually change the pollutant into less harmful forms. Trees filter sewage and farm chemicals, reduce the effects of animal wastes, clean roadside spills and clean water runoff into streams.
Trees muffle urban noise almost as effectively as stone walls. Trees, planted at strategic points in a neighborhood or around your house, can abate major noises from freeways and airports.
4. Trees Slow Storm Water Runoff
Flash flooding can be dramatically reduced by a forest or by planting trees. One Colorado blue spruce, either planted or growing wild, can intercept more than 1000 gallons of water annually when fully grown. Underground water-holding aquifers are recharged with this slowing down of water runoff.
To produce its food, a tree absorbs and locks away carbon dioxide in the wood, roots and leaves. Carbon dioxide is a global warming suspect. A forest is a carbon storage area or a "sink" that can lock up as much carbon as it produces. This locking-up process "stores" carbon as wood and not as an available "greenhouse" gas.
6. Trees Clean the Air
Trees help cleanse the air by intercepting airborne particles, reducing heat, and absorbing such pollutants as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide. Trees remove this air pollution by lowering air temperature, through respiration, and by retaining particulates.
7. Trees Shade and Cool
Shade resulting in cooling is what a tree is best known for. Shade from trees reduces the need for air conditioning in summer. In winter, trees break the force of winter winds, lowering heating costs. Studies have shown that parts of cities without cooling shade from trees can literally be "heat islands" with temperatures as much as 12 degrees Fahrenheit higher than surrounding areas.
8. Trees Act as Windbreaks
During windy and cold seasons, trees located on the windward side act as windbreaks. A windbreak can lower home heating bills up to 30% and have a significant effect on reducing snow drifts. A reduction in wind can also reduce the drying effect on soil and vegetation behind the windbreak and help keep precious topsoil in place.
9. Trees Fight Soil Erosion
Erosion control has always started with tree and grass planting projects. Tree roots bind the soil and their leaves break the force of wind and rain on soil. Trees fight soil erosion, conserve rainwater and reduce water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
10. Trees Increase Property Values
Real estate values increase when trees beautify a property or neighborhood. Trees can increase the property value of your home by 15% or more.

http://forestry.about.com/od/treephysiology/tp/tree_value.htm

Always provide your sources because I know you are not smart enough to write this.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 5:00am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile:

Though you are too lazy to read up and understand the importance of tree planting which is even available all over google, I still posted something for you to read and educate yourself with.

I still don't believe your silly story about your grandmother. Who plants tree in the toilet? You are just another ignorant roll and a circus clown on NL. Even your comedic skills su.uckkkss

. . . Not as much as your writing skills, agree?

Your writing is beyond atrocious. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by dasparrow: 5:02am On Jul 16, 2012
antitpiah:

And they are doing that by . . . planting flowers?

My grand mother was trying to plant some trees in her compound the other day, she broke her back in the process and now she is bed ridden . . . hows that for better life and environment?

I am so sorry that your grandma got injured planting trees. May the Good Lord heal her in Jesus Name, Amen. I hope your mom and dad can help you with some pocket money in the meantime till mama feels better.

@Post

Here in america, planting trees are highly encouraged because there are quite a number of benefits that come from planting trees. I therefore support what Fashola is doing by encouraging people to plant trees. I just hope thieves don't use tall trees planted in residential compounds as an avenue to climb into people's homes to rob them. You know, one must always keep the peculiar security situation in Nigeria in mind. Other than that, I say, ride on governor Fashola!
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by tpia5: 5:03am On Jul 16, 2012
Just a lil correction, Trees breath in oxygen and exhale Carbon IV oxide as animals . .they only utilize Carbon IV oxide during photosynthesis

i dont think this is correct.

feel free to prove me wrong while i doublecheck that.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by ektbear: 5:06am On Jul 16, 2012
lmao @ the last few posts
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 5:06am On Jul 16, 2012
tpia@:

i dont think this is correct.

feel free to prove me wrong while i doublecheck that.

Olodo ni e Tpia. Olodo ni e. This is advanced stuff here. Even if I prove you wrong, you still wouldnt understand. Why waste my high intellect on lost souls like your ugly self?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by tpia5: 5:14am On Jul 16, 2012
^scram.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by tpia5: 5:15am On Jul 16, 2012
Trees breath in oxygen and exhale Carbon IV oxide as animals . .they only utilize Carbon IV oxide during photosynthesis

are you referring to plant respiration at night?

will look it up.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by ektbear: 5:17am On Jul 16, 2012
tpia@: It is true though that trees do consume more CO2 than then produce, right?

That is what I vaguely remember from school..
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 5:21am On Jul 16, 2012
^^^

So you sef dont know. lol
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 5:23am On Jul 16, 2012
tpia@:

are you referring to plant respiration at night?

will look it up.

How many times do you want to look it up. The problem is you wont understand, it is a complex mathematical ish. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by ektbear: 5:27am On Jul 16, 2012
Heh, I don't know what this says about you that you are surprised that there are certain things I don't know.

Even I am not all-knowing. Though from our previous interactions, it seems that you have gotten the opposite impression grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 5:40am On Jul 16, 2012
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 5:43am On Jul 16, 2012
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 5:56am On Jul 16, 2012
Where will they be planted?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 5:58am On Jul 16, 2012
eledalo: so that you can charge me 'tree tax' and 'vegetation cultivation charge' in a years time abi? wink bros abeg focus on 4th mainland

lol1
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by member479760: 6:03am On Jul 16, 2012
nikkyshyne: Fashola and trees enh...are u sure he is not an Ogbanje!

Yes, you and your Ogbanje' friends will be hosting meeting under the trees.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by pendusky(m): 6:07am On Jul 16, 2012
U guys d make mouth oh, when we hav bought 7 palmwine tree to plant at lekki grin grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by lastround(m): 6:38am On Jul 16, 2012
Is a pity most of us are still arguing about plant a tree instead of looking at the future benefits those trees will bring to us. Just realised that we don't even care about the environment we live how to then improve our quality of life. Please let us do what Mr Governor said plant trees.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Davgwen(f): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2012
Oh come on i dont tink there should be any argument here.theres notin wrong in planting trees.na wa oo

1 Like

Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 16, 2012
So I shld plant a tree today only for it to be used as firewood in yrs to come? Does it make sense?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Reference(m): 8:14am On Jul 16, 2012
jmaine: Where is the space to even plant a tree grin . . .

My exact thoughts. At least 3 million households living back to back in the main. No where to park cars, no where to locate generators. Is it trees people will plant. Any available private space will probably be built over by greedy lanlords at the bequest of the increasing populace.

Poverty does wonders for the environment.

1 Like

Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 8:25am On Jul 16, 2012
ekt_bear: So what is the problem with his suggestion?

Is planting trees ineffective or detrimental...?

I thought that the opposite was true

Planting trees is highly beneficial on the long run in fighting global warming cos it naturally takes several years for them to act as good carbon sinks . . .

We are simply having a lil joke over this cos it is practically impossible for some peeps to plant trees cos of lack of space and a good percentage of homes in Lagos have massive concretized flooring, which is some what a deterrent to implementing this nice tree planting initiative wink
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by ektbear: 8:42am On Jul 16, 2012
So, if you cannot plant, then don't. I don't think Fashola's message is directed at those who are unable to comply with his request..

Anyway, I'm sure you guys already knew that, but wanted to be mischievous on purpose grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 8:50am On Jul 16, 2012
You call it mischievous, but we call it plain reality . . . . . .A good initiative can only be a success if factors militating against it are minimal. . . .and we are simply saying, though it's nice to plant trees . . .there are constraints to implementing that on a large scale at present . . .

No need to dey para !!!!
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 8:54am On Jul 16, 2012
Reference:

My exact thoughts. At least 3 million households living back to back in the main. No where to park cars, no where to locate generators. Is it trees people will plant. Any available private space will probably be built over by greedy lanlords at the bequest of the increasing populace.

Poverty does wonders for the environment.

The last sentence sums it up nicely cheesy
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by babestella: 10:20am On Jul 16, 2012
jmaine: Where is the space to even plant a tree grin . . .

No space, but seriously, you can plant a tree in your room, I have a coconut and a mango tree in my room. lol lol lol lol, cos the next governor might just hate trees and green vegetation. It happened in Festac town, one good morning I woke up and alas! all trees from 1st avenue to 7th avenue were all gone, turned into fire wood for akara sellers along the road. Reason?? order from Local govt council. So better plant your in your room, it is safer. Muheheheheeehhehehehe. I laugh in latin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Farmers Sue Fulani Herdsmen For N100bn / Buhari Wears Uniform With Rank Of A Field Marshal As He Commands Army(video) / Sanwo-Olu: Lagos Completed 1,097 School Projects In Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.