Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! (7774 Views)

Amaechi, Ayade, Ita-Giwa March For 'Plant-A-Tree' Event At Calabar Carnival / Traffic Law: Lagos Lists Vehicles That Can Operate From 6am-9pm / Climate Change: Lagos May Vanish In 50 Years - Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
grin grin grin Hehe. This is what I have been stressing.

Now Fashola is thinking Futuristic.

The question is; will the trees be planted on tarred roads or tarred compounds?

The future is green economy. Market economy is destructive and will grind to a halt. Seek futuristic skills and be on par with the world.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by horny4u(f): 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
jmaine:

Just a lil correction, Trees breath in oxygen and exhale Carbon IV oxide as animals . .they only utilize Carbon IV oxide during photosynthesis wink

Thanks !

I did not know that...Learnt something new wink
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
jmaine: Where is the space to even plant a tree grin . . .

grin grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2012
horny4u:

Thanks !

Your welcome smiley
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
cheddarking: How many people even live in their own house in Lagos?
Should Tenants plant trees too?
Besides most of the grounds in people's compounds are cemented or bricked.

True talk bro. So much for short sighted "Urban development".
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2012
horny4u:

Thanks !

For real ?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Sunofgod(m): 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
horny4u:

Thanks !

So tree's breath in and exhale - Wow!!
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 15, 2012
Sun of god:

So tree's breath in and exhale - Wow!!

Not really but they are aerobes, that is, they require oxygen to grow despite they produce it during photosynthesis(taking in oxygen and given out carbon dioxide). In other words, they produce what they need to grow.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by subzero2(m): 10:06pm On Jul 15, 2012
Why is dat acn governors only perform in their 1st tenure? Wen they come back 4 2nd tenure, they seem not 2know wot they r doin. Ok na... Make i go plant my tree.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
sub_zero: Why is dat acn governors only perform in their 1st tenure? Wen they come back 4 2nd tenure, they seem not 2know wot they r doin. Ok na... Make i go plant my tree.
Plant 2, one for me
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
all4naija: Good idea, but the state government should not deter its policy from doing most of the planting. The government should be responsible for the road and park planting of trees. Also, private companies, multi-national and big banks can be parts of this tree planting project.

This is going on already and we post pictures from these activities every year. Banks and other private busineses are involved. I remember posting a picture where zenith bank designed and beautified a street with trees and flowers. You saw the picture too.

You are not saying anything new, they are ahead of you.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by S2kluv: 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
I have plant my own just now. So wat next/ the outcome.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Azidogen2: 10:35pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Property owners are responsible for their properties, whether they live there or not. Cemented grounds can be broken to create space for at least one tree
abeg borrow me hammer to take break all my cemented floor so that i go fit plant enough trees to make a forest. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Kobojunkie: 10:38pm On Jul 15, 2012
S2kluv: I have plant my own just now. So wat next/ the outcome.

I think this is a really common sense solution that Lagoscians should really not wait to be forced to implement. We all know from back in the days that on sunny days, sitting under the tree shade is a good way to relax and cool off. The outcome is that you, and those who live in your property are bound to reap the benefits of this.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 15, 2012
Eko Ile:

This is going on already and we post pictures from these activities every year. Banks and other private busineses are involved. I remember posting a picture where zenith bank designed and beautified a street with trees and flowers. You saw the picture too.

You are not saying anything new, they are ahead of you.
i don't know what you are talking about though. I am not living in Nigeria. I have only visited three times. So, don't be offended about some of my comments.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I think this is a really common sense solution that Lagoscians should really not wait to be forced to implement. We all know from back in the days that on sunny days, sitting under the tree shade is a good way to relax and cool off. The outcome is that you, and those who live in your property are bound to reap the benefits of this.
Which type of tree should I plant ? Christmas Tree ?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
Billyonaire: Which type of tree should I plant ? Christmas Tree ?

Whichever one suits you. Here, most every house has at least one tree in the back yard, and one in the front yard. Typically people plant trees to provide them needed shade. But you could always plant a fruit tree or an oak. During the last heat wave(some days ago) we sat in the backyard, under the tree in the back for some cooling and a barbeque. The house was hot but opening the windows and the back door still let some cool air in.

My Grandmother's house in Nigeria had 3 huge trees in the front year( an avodado pear tree, a Guava tree, and a tree that grows a vegetable typically eaten by easterners), and in the back yard, she had, I believe a giant Oak tree and some pawpaw trees, along with a vegetable garden.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Whichever one suits you. Here, most every house has at least one tree in the back yard, and one in the front yard. Typically people plant trees to provide them needed shade. But you could always plant a fruit tree or an oak. During the last heat wave(some days ago) we sat in the backyard, under the tree in the back for some cooling and a barbeque. The house was hot but opening the windows and the back door still let some cool air in.

My Grandmother's house in Nigeria had 3 huge trees in the front year( an avodado pear tree, a Guava tree, and a tree that grows a vegetable typically eaten by easterners), and in the back yard, she had, I believe a giant Oak tree and some pawpaw trees, along with a vegetable garden.
Well...I love plastic Christmas Tree....am sure fashola wouldnt mind.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by EkoIle1: 11:40pm On Jul 15, 2012
all4naija: i don't know what you are talking about though. I am not living in Nigeria. I have only visited three times. So, don't be offended about some of my comments.

I'm not in anyway offended, just letting you know what's going on. Like I said, we post pictures all the time and if you really care, visit the governors website from time to time and stay informed.

This is a government that's doing everything in its power to create a better life and environment for the people of lagos state and if you think there is something they need to be doing and they are not doing, I can prove to you with facts and pictures that they are. Maybe not enough because of money constraints, but they are doing something unlike many other states in Nigeria.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
Billyonaire: Well...I love [b]plastic [/b]Christmas Tree....am sure fashola wouldnt mind.

ROFLMAO!! grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Switchi: 12:02am On Jul 16, 2012
jmaine:

Just a lil correction, Trees breath in oxygen and exhale Carbon IV oxide as animals . .they only utilize Carbon IV oxide during photosynthesis wink
. U re wrong. Trees breath go carbon iv oxide and give out oxygen. If trees are nt dere, dere will green hse gas effect go which carbon iv oxide is a green hse gas leading to global warming. So trees has to be planted 2 utilize dis carbon iv oxide so as to prevent ozone depletion which in turn causes global warming

1 Like

Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by Switchi: 12:02am On Jul 16, 2012
jmaine:

. U re wrong. Trees breath in carbon iv oxide and give out oxygen. If trees are nt dere, dere will be green hse gas effect in which carbon iv oxide is a green hse gas leading to global warming. So trees has to be planted 2 utilize dis carbon iv oxide so as to prevent ozone depletion which in turn causes global warming
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by braine(m): 12:20am On Jul 16, 2012
Billyonaire: Which type of tree should I plant ? Christmas Tree ?

You can't plant just any tree. You need to consider the morphology of the adult plant characters such as the kind of root it possesses. Some trees such as the Almond and Delonix trees when grown can destroy home walls wjth their roots if planted close to one. I recommend Eucalyptus tree.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by babaowo: 12:35am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile: lmao. These NL illiterates no go kill pesin I swear. Do they even have to tell you the importance if tree planting regarding the air you breath, the weather, environment and the world you live in?

What hope is there for Nigeria with so many ignorant clowns running around?
...... pls tell them ..
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by braine(m): 12:53am On Jul 16, 2012
Switchi: . U re wrong. Trees breath go carbon iv oxide and give out oxygen. If trees are nt dere, dere will green hse gas effect go which carbon iv oxide is a green hse gas leading to global warming. So trees has to be planted 2 utilize dis carbon iv oxide so as to prevent ozone depletion which in turn causes global warming

Plants are able to produce their 'own' food and they need oxygen to break the food down (respiration) but they use less oxygen in the process which usually happens at night when there is no photosynthesis. They are important in global warming because they are the only ones that use up the carbon dioxide produce which other living things can't use up.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 1:48am On Jul 16, 2012
Switchi: . U re wrong. Trees breath in carbon iv oxide and give out oxygen. If trees are nt dere, dere will be green hse gas effect in which carbon iv oxide is a green hse gas leading to global warming.

I forgive your errors grin . . .let me further inform you that it takes tree plants an average of 20 years to become good carbon sinks . .so while at their growth phase, they also pump in Carbon IV oxide into the atmosphere via respiration hence, adding to our global warming challenges grin . . .

They only become huge Carbon sink when they solely begin to photosynthetically utilize carbon IV oxide to add more biomass . .A reason why on going depletion of the amazon forest is a big global issue, cos those aged giant trees who acted as major carbon sink spanning years, are now being destroyed

Planting of trees does not immediately curtail global warming challenges, cos those trees are net exporters of Carbon into the atmosphere during their growth phase . .but the long term benefit is what we are looking at and where Fashola admin is seeking to secure smiley

Switchi: . So trees has to be planted 2 utilize dis carbon iv oxide so as to prevent ozone depletion which in turn causes global warming

How does carbon IV oxide lead to ozone layer depletion shocked grin. . .Carbon only has a direct link with Global warming and acid rain formation . .while Ozone layer depletion has the major culprits being the CFC's

Make we no turn here to biology class

Back to the thread wink
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by kawkab: 1:57am On Jul 16, 2012
Most houses and compound in Lagos do not even have space for trees
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by jmaine: 2:08am On Jul 16, 2012
Abeg na who get mallet to lend me . .My german flooring will require some severe mallet blows to kick start our tree planting initiative . . . grin
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by antitpiah: 2:50am On Jul 16, 2012
Eko Ile:

I'm not in anyway offended, just letting you know what's going on. Like I said, we post pictures all the time and if you really care, visit the governors website from time to time and stay informed.

This is a government that's doing everything in its power to create a better life and environment for the people of lagos state and if you think there is something they need to be doing and they are not doing, I can prove to you with facts and pictures that they are. Maybe not enough because of money constraints, but they are doing something unlike many other states in Nigeria.

And they are doing that by . . . planting flowers?

My grand mother was trying to plant some trees in her compound the other day, she broke her back in the process and now she is bed ridden . . . hows that for better life and environment?
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by LordBabs(m): 3:48am On Jul 16, 2012
I hope the same tree they plant will not collapse upon them during rainstorm, just as a CJN's wife was murdered by the same tree that shades their household.
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by LordBabs(m): 3:52am On Jul 16, 2012
antitpiah:

And they are doing that by . . . planting flowers?

My grand mother was trying to plant some trees in her compound the other day, she broke her back in the process and now she is bed ridden . . . hows that for better life and environment?

this really got me laughing! Sorry for your grandma. Ekoo ni baje o!
Re: Climate Change: Lagos Lists Mitigation Measures - Go Plant A Tree! by ektbear: 4:03am On Jul 16, 2012
So what is the problem with his suggestion?

Is planting trees ineffective or detrimental...?

I thought that the opposite was true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Wears Uniform With Rank Of A Field Marshal As He Commands Army(video) / Akpabio Lost His Senatorial Seat? / Can IPOB Assault A ''Tinubu'' in Germany?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.