Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,993 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City (6253 Views)

James Ibori Marries Senami Sosu As Second Wife? - The Capital / David Mark Solely Sworn In As A Mark Of Respect / AWKA: A Capital City In Race To Catch Up With Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Spare me your brain-farts first!

Spare us your LIES first before anything else. Why are you hiding the name of your state? Liar pig.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Dainfamous: 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: bia mai gaskiya i never say the donkey issue is in imo.a nwu m onye ara?who does not know where donkeys a are found in the country? In case one wants to know the city was lafia in nassarawa
i was thinking hw is it possible to find donkeys in the SE?? is only in northern nigeria you see donkeys and camels
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: mai gaskiya read before replying@ obiagu i am not not saying that the villages should be turned to urban jungles.what i mean is that basic things public water or borhole as the case may be,good tarred roads within and connecting the villages and even well equiped schools etc.i even prefer this type of setting than the kind of urban settings we have.

The village, where I can sneak away, switch of all phones, forget the computer and go hunting and fishing for catfish and crabs!

The village, far from the madding crowd!

1 Like

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Obiagu1(m): 3:52pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: mai gaskiya read before replying@ obiagu i am not not saying that the villages should be turned to urban jungles.what i mean is that basic things public water or borhole as the case may be,good tarred roads within and connecting the villages and even well equiped schools etc.i even prefer this type of setting than the kind of urban settings we have.

You're right. However, we should not judge development by whether roads are tarred or not which I know some people do.
I think a village or small town should have an accessible hospital and school (within a specified radius), water supply (central or personal), accessible post office, electricity (a must), waste disposal system etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by brabus(m): 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
#Afanna:

i like what oshiomhole is doing in edo..i wish he was my state gov... angry
i live in benin city i know Comrade Adams Oshiomole is doing his best..

Some of Gov Adams Oshiomole rural roads in Edo state..

My state Governor is the best amongst all. See for yourself the roads in our cities and rural areas.

City: SAGAMU
State: OGUN
Governor: IBIKUNLE AMOSUN

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

I said they should have basic infrastructure that MUST include electricity. Water supply depends the size of the village, here some have no central water supply system and depend on personal boreholes. Roads must not be tarred, there are many untarred but well maintained dirt roads everywhere in North America. You don't waste money tarring roads that are barely used like is done in most Northern states; that's how resources is managed in North America.

a) Every village has to have central water supply -- that you do not see a huge thank above DOES NOT mean there is no water supply to the village here in America. In fact, please supply the name of ONE VILLAGE here in America without a water supply system installed. We can easily investigate that particular situation to verify claims that there is none.

b) In Nigeria, most roads are either tarred or left to the elements, and that means terrible conditions.Villages required good roads just as surrounding towns and cities. I am not sure what part of the law suggests that villages can or should go without. Dirt roads in North America are not dirt roads in Nigeria. Dirt roads in America do not turn into gullies and driving nightmares as those in many of our villages in Nigeria do, and are allowed to remain all year round.

c) I don't think it is sensible to argue that because roads in villages will not get a lot of auto traffic, that they should not be built.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 3:55pm On Jul 15, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Spare us your LIES first before anything else. Why are you hiding the name of your state? Liar pig.

Again . . .
Kobojunkie:

Spare me your brain-farts first!
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by maigaskiya1: 3:55pm On Jul 15, 2012
Bornu state we hav maiduguri alone,biu d 2nd city is a vilage.bama writ off.adamawa we hav yola nd mubi d rest juge ur sf.bauchi we have bauchi nd azare.ynbe we hav damaturu wit 2 roundabot,nd potiskum wit broken down trailers.plateau, apart frm jos town wer else.apart frm kano we hav wudil wey no reach vilage standard 4 south.its only kaduna state benue i kan say its oky in rural development in d north.if u go 2d west dat wan na isue.wel mak i shut up b4 dm stone me ijebu juju
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

You're right. However, we should not judge development by whether roads are tarred or not which I know some people do.
I think a village or small town should have an accessible hospital and school (within a specified radius), water supply (central or personal), accessible post office, electricity (a must), waste disposal system etc.

Actually good roads are considered a part measure of development.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

The village, where I can sneak away, switch of all phones, forget the computer and go hunting and fishing for catfish and crabs!

The village, far from the madding crowd!

And the people in villages tell you that what they want of their lives is no access to computers, and all the same base infrastructures found in cities and towns??
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 3:59pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Yeah, the roads being tarred will mean more traffic with vehicle horns disturbing the peace. It will not allow me to listen to the chirrping of birds, or mating calls of the toads, plus other nature sounds that help to remind us that we are all creatures of nature and make us less big headed.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:04pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

And the people in villages tell you that what they want of their lives is no access to computers, and all the same base infrastructures found in cities and towns??

Of course nobody is stopping them from getting them, if I just sat down in the village and day dreamed about computers, will I get them?
Some people in the village will give anything to remain the way they are. There are many things in life that will surprise you!
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Obiagu1(m): 4:05pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

a) Every village has to have central water supply -- that you do not see a huge thank above DOES NOT mean there is no water supply to the village here in America. In fact, please supply the name of ONE VILLAGE here in America without a water supply system installed. We can easily investigate that particular situation to verify claims that there is none.

b) In Nigeria, most roads are either tarred or left to the elements, and that means terrible conditions.Villages required good roads just as surrounding towns and cities. I am not sure what part of the law suggests that villages can or should go without. Dirt roads in North America are not dirt roads in Nigeria. Dirt roads in America do not turn into gullies and driving nightmares as those in many of our villages in Nigeria do, and are allowed to remain all year round.

c) I don't think it is sensible to argue that because roads in villages will not get a lot of auto traffic, that they should not be built.

Many of those that live in villages depend on boreholes though they are all inspected, approved and documented. I don't need to list names but we have so many small villages here in Canada.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Again . . .Spare me your brain-farts first!

Is that another trashy term you picked up from ''North America''? Olodo.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by asha80(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880 and obiagu having tarred roads in villages or more importantly connecting does not neccesarily mean increase in vehicular traffic.a tarred road passes my hometown house but vehicular interval a the gate of our home about 4 to 10 mins
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Of course nobody is stopping them from getting them, if I just sat down in the village and day dreamed about computers, will I get them?
Some people in the village will give anything to remain the way they are. There are many things in life that will surprise you!

Save your breath. She'll never understand that bit of wisdom. To her, everything must look like it does in ''North America''.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Many of those that live in villages depend on boreholes though they are all inspected, approved and documented. I don't need to list names but we have so many small villages here in Canada.

Wait, so you are saying there are APPROVED water supply systems but you don not want APPROVED water supply systems in Nigerian villages??
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

I think what you are saying has little to add to this argument. We are talking here of how development should not be limited to cities when towns and villages also require same.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Obiagu1(m): 4:13pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: spyder880 and obiagu having tarred roads in villages or more importantly connecting does not neccesarily mean increase in vehicular traffic.a tarred road passes my hometown house but vehicular interval a the gate of our home about 4 to 10 mins

Roads are generally tarred based on the vehicular traffic. You don't tar roads that are barely used except, of course, in the city. Well maintained dirt roads could serve some villages. We waste so much money tarring roads while we leave other more important things undone like water supply, electricity, clinics etc.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Acidosis(m): 4:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
Nice Thread! !

People should look beyond state capitals.

Without any element of doubt, Delta state is the most developed state in Nigeria after Lagos and Abuja. They look beyond Asaba. Asaba is a nice capital but most people would talk about Warri immediately you call ''Delta''. Virtually all the towns in Delta state has a standard Stadium. But I know some states in Nigeria without a (1) single stadium. Delta state has 2 airports in different towns but how many states in Nigeria can even boast of one?

Take for instance Edo state, the first and only thing that comes to mind is Benin-city, and may be Auchi Poly any other place incuding Ekpoma is not better than a village. But people instead of comparing Delta as a state with Edo, they don't seem to see beyond Benin city vs Warri. This is a major reason while our Governors in the east lavish state's allocations on Government house, Governors lodge, e-library, dual-roads, street lights. . .all in the state capital!

Whenever you see development, projects and constructions going on in a village, then you already know the Governor's home town. Thats the mentality of an average Nigerian politician.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Acidosis(m): 4:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
Nice Thread! !

People should look beyond state capitals.

Without any element of doubt, Delta state is the most developed state in Nigeria after Lagos and Abuja. They look beyond Asaba. Asaba is a nice capital but most people would talk about Warri immediately you call ''Delta''. Virtually all the towns in Delta state has a standard Stadium. But I know some states in Nigeria without a (1) single stadium. Delta state has 2 airports in different towns but how many states in Nigeria can even boast of one?

Take for instance Edo state, the first and only thing that comes to mind is Benin-city, and may be Auchi Poly any other place incuding Ekpoma is not better than a village. But people instead of comparing Delta as a state with Edo, they don't seem to see beyond Benin city vs Warri. This is a major reason while our Governors in the east lavish state's allocations on Government house, Governors lodge, e-library, dual-roads, street lights. . .all in the state capital!

Whenever you see development, projects and constructions going on in a village, then you already know the Governor's home town. Thats the mentality of an average Nigerian politician.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Obiagu1(m): 4:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
^^^

Are you sure? More developed than Anambra? By the way, stadium is not a measure of development.
In my small unheard village in Anambra, we have water supply (government and private complimenting each other), post office, police station, electricity, well maintained tarred and dirt roads, schools, clinics etc. It's very hard to see undeveloped lands anymore though more than 80% of us live outside the town.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
Much as I like urban centers, I still think every place dont need to be developed with the same speed like capital cities. This is important so that people who need to have an alternative lifestyle different from what is obtainable in cities can find a place to hide away and relax.

Some people hate to drink refrigerated water, or even pipe borne water. Some people hate the telly, and have so many things to keep them occupied and give their life a meaning. They even laugh at us and wonder how silly we are with our stressed-out livestyles.

I believe those people should have a right to stay where they are, without having us intrude on their solitude with our own idea of what developement should be. Have you enjoyed a purely local dish before? (Not Mac Donalds fries)
Very fresh vegetables with free crabs and farmed yams straight from the barns with fresh local palm oil? Have you sat down under a 90 year old tree and drank fresh palm wine with bush meat without the distraction of blaring horns, have you ever drank water 'frozen' under a thatched hut?

My people, allow some things to be the way they are!

2 Likes

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I think what you are saying has little to add to this argument. We are talking here of how development should not be limited to cities when towns and villages also require same.

Some local areas might not need the type of developement you have in mind, read my last post.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Some local areas might not need the type of developement you have in mind, read my last post.

Let the people in those areas VOTE AGAINST SUCH developments but until then villages need to be given EQUAL access to development as the cities and states around them.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Acidosis(m): 4:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Roads are generally tarred based on the vehicular traffic. You don't tar roads that are barely used except, of course, in the city. Well maintained dirt roads could serve some villages. We waste so much money tarring roads while we leave other more important things undone like water supply, electricity, clinics etc.

roads that leads to villages are meant for the initiators i.e the Governors whenever they are going for campaign. But again, a good road is the first step to development. How do you convey your goods, building materials without a motorable road and these days when grading a road without planning how you'll get it tarred, then I am sorry. . .
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880: Much as I like urban centers, I still think every place dont need to be developed with the same speed like capital cities. This is important so that people who need to have an alternative lifestyle different from what is obtainable in cities can find a place to hide away and relax.

Some people hate to drink refrigerated water, or even pipe borne water. Some people hate the telly, and have so many things to keep them occupied and give their life a meaning. They even laugh at us and wonder how silly we are with our stressed-out livestyles.

I believe those people should have a right to stay where they are, without having us intrude on their solitude with our own idea of what developement should be. Have you enjoyed a purely local dish before? (Not Mac Donalds fries)
Very fresh vegetables with free crabs and farmed yams straight from the barns with fresh local palm oil? Have you sat down under a 90 year old tree and drank fresh palm wine with bush meat without the distraction of blaring horns, have you ever drank water 'frozen' under a thatched hut?

My people, allow some things to be the way they are!

One Question: Did everyone in your village ever VOTE against development at this place? Or is this some convenient reason from someone who himself probably lives in the city and considers the village his vacation home, ignoring the fact that some people live in the village 365 years of their year there?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
Acidosis:

roads that leads to villages are meant for the initiators i.e the Governors whenever they are going for campaign. But again, a good road is the first step to development. How do you convey your goods, building materials without a motorable road and these days when grading a road without planning how you'll get it tarred, then I am sorry. . .

Thank you! Good roads are needed so those in the village can move their goods to the near towns and cities for sale. Even those who ride bicycles to the nearest towns need good, motorable, in Nigerians case, tarred roads, to get their goods out and to get jobs in neighboring communities.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by kabba7(m): 4:38pm On Jul 15, 2012
[b][/b][color=#990000][/color]can.lokoja of Kogi state be called a developed state capital not to talk of local government / rural area's.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Let the people in those areas VOTE AGAINST SUCH developments but until then villages need to be given EQUAL access to development as the cities and states around them.

Please, dont forget that the same rural people own the capital cities and dont require a visa if they decide to relocate there either temporarily or permanently.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Please, dont forget that the same rural people own the capital cities and dont require a visa if they decide to relocate there either temporarily or permanently.

We are on access that people who live 365 days of their lives in the villages/towns should have to have to development happening in the capital cities.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

One Question: Did everyone in your village ever VOTE against development at this place? Or is this some convenient reason from someone who himself probably lives in the city and considers the village his vacation home, ignoring the fact that some people live in the village 365 years of their year there?

People in my village that required the type of developement you are talking about (like me) had to travel only 2 kilometers to meet the city, and many of us sneak back there everytime to savour what we left behind. Most of us has mansions in the village also. There are no restrictions and yes, we also own our state capitals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Government Sabotage: President Buhari, APC Are Their Own Saboteurs / Aisha Buhari Visit To US: The Intelligent Question We All Failed To Ask. / PDP Bot Leadership Illegal, Makarfi Must Go – Sheriff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.