Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City (6254 Views)

James Ibori Marries Senami Sosu As Second Wife? - The Capital / David Mark Solely Sworn In As A Mark Of Respect / AWKA: A Capital City In Race To Catch Up With Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

We are on access that people who live 365 days of their lives in the villages/towns should have to have to development happening in the capital cities.

Their choice entirely, the village is not a prison.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Their choice entirely, the village is not a prison.

Then rather than deny them the choice, we should instead demand that they have the same right to development.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 4:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Then rather than deny them the choice, we should instead demand that they have the same right to development.

I am more concerned about the radical changes it might cause to their way of life, and if those changes might affect their life spans negatively. What about us that like to periodically hide awy there, where do we go to?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

I am more concerned about the radical changes it might cause to their way of life, and if those changes might affect their life spans negatively. What about us that like to periodically hide awy there, where do we go to?

What radical changes? If anything a possible positive is that more people will move back to the villages and our cities will be decongested. Agriculture might even get the needed injection it needs, finally.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Obiagu1(m): 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
Acidosis:

roads that leads to villages are meant for the initiators i.e the Governors whenever they are going for campaign. But again, a good road is the first step to development. How do you convey your goods, building materials without a motorable road and these days when grading a road without planning how you'll get it tarred, then I am sorry. . .

I'm not talking about unmaintained dirt roads, of course they should be motorable. In the North, they have many tarred roads that lead to nowhere whereas the villagers have no water and have to fetch water from very deep wells with the help of mai ruwas. The money used to tar those roads should have served the locals better if they were used to build boreholes with pumps.
My point is that roads should be motorable, tarred or not.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by asha80(m): 5:00pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880 are you saying that peeps in your villa will not welcome basic infrastructure like constant light,water ie public or borehole,well equiped public primary and secondary schools,clinics etc if it is not already available?having these does turn an area to hustling and bustling city you know.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Acidosis(m): 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
@Kabba7, are you an indigene of Kogi state? I weep for that colony. The Okun people regret ever leaving Kwara state even though it isn't their idea to leave in the first place. The Igala people have ruined that state. For 13+years now, the Igalas have been ruling a state with 3 major tribes. They spent those years wasting allocations only on their land without any meaningful thing to show. The state capital is the worst in the Federal. No airport, No stadium, No state transport service, Bad roads, government house like shrine, no light. These Igala people employ themselves, they deprived the Okuns and Igbiras, they are corrupt, they hate development and every good things of life.

The only way forward is creating a new state for the Okun people. Kogi is too large in size, a journey from Egbe to Anyigba will take atleast 8 hours without any traffic.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by asha80(m): 5:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

I'm not talking about unmaintained dirt roads, of course they should be motorable. In the North, they have many tarred roads that lead to nowhere whereas the villagers have no water and have to fetch water from very deep wells with the help of mai ruwas. The money used to tar those roads should have served the locals better if they were used to build boreholes with pumps.
My point is that roads should be motorable, tarred or not.
obiagu you and i know that a large stretch of untarred road(though mainly ill maintened) in the south east is an invitation to erosion in some parts especially now that trees are being cut down(another issue on its own) because of population increase.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 5:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What radical changes? If anything a possible positive is that more people will move back to the villages and our cities will be decongested. Agriculture might even get the needed injection it needs, finally.

Radical changes like tearing a high tension electic wiring installation up above the village people or drilling a mine or rig in their village that will render them incapable of going to their normal farming routines or stopping them from eating the type of food or drink they have been used to because the valley they called their farms is now a construction site along a new 4 lane highway.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Radical changes like tearing a high tension electic wiring installation up above the village people or drilling a mine or rig in their village that will render them incapable of going to their normal farming routines or stopping them from eating the type of food or drink they have been used to because the valley they called their farms is now a construction site along a new 4 lane highway.

So people in the village should not get electricity ? They should be denied beneficial employment?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: spyder880 are you saying that peeps in your villa will not welcome basic infrastructure like constant light,water ie public or borehole,well equiped public primary and secondary schools,clinics etc if it is not already available?having these does turn an area to hustling and bustling city you know.

In truth, many will.
But what about the thousands that dont like the idea because thats the way they grew up to love life. Do you know that there are people that hardly stay two days in urban settings before starting to fall sick because of the "change".

Constant light is a mirage even in urban areas
Pipe borne water have an alternative in clean spring water
Hospitals are new additions, these guys do herbal medicine like before before
The schools are there and as functional as other poor public schools even in the towns
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

In truth, many will.
But what about the thousands that dont like the idea because thats the way they grew up to love life. Do you know that there are people that hardly stay two days in urban settings before starting to fall sick because of the "change".

Constant light is a mirage even in urban areas
Pipe borne water have an alternative in clean spring water
Hospitals are new additions, these guys do herbal medicine like before before
The schools are there and as functional as other poor public schools even in the towns

What thousands?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
Can you guys define what a village is because most Nigerian towns and cities look like villages to me? grin
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: spyder880 and obiagu having tarred roads in villages or more importantly connecting does not neccesarily mean increase in vehicular traffic.a tarred road passes my hometown house but vehicular interval a the gate of our home about 4 to 10 mins

If you are truly from Imo state as you claimed, we need to preserve our natural envrironment and not cover everywhere with coaltar and what have you.

The only thing we need is limited tarred roads that connects major areas - Rochas is doing a good job; steady Electricity, good health care and well equipped schools. The rest will take care of itself. .

Each time i visit SE, I am very impressed the way people still plants things in their compounds even after building mansions and they get free natural food and fruits from them.

What do you think gives you good weather in SE ? The Trees and so on. People there are healthier and fresher than those who went away chasing money here and there.

We need futuristic skills and investments to maintain the beauty and nature. Good water is abundant. I can't remember the last time i bought certain fruits and vegetables with money. Because my people grow them in the compound. Now, don't tell me Orji is a stark village.

Green economy is the future. We must not turn Imo state into an urban jungle and industrial wasteland with the pollutions that comes with it.

Join hand in making ita futuristic developed green state.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

So people in the village should not get electricity ? They should be denied beneficial employment?

They should get if they like, but the environment should also be protected. Employment is everywhere, even in the farms. Those who want should stay in the villages if rural-urban drift should be halted. Some erroneously believe it should be halted by developing villages, I think the reverse should be the case. Big people can relocate on the basis of the "cool greens" and not the noise.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 5:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What thousands?

Village people.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Village people.

Let us let them have the say
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: isn't it funny that some people judge a state by the CAPITAL CITY alone?someone once made a statement here on nairaland that cross river is a developed state because she visited calabar and saw the beauty there.what is the size of calabar compared to cross river state?same thing i hear about owerri and imo state.reminds me of state i once visited and on just about a km of living the capital city i saw donkeys and human beings struggling for water in a stream.u

Besides, have you been to Oguta, Ikeduru, Mbano, Okwelle.

In fact, we will fully develop Imo with the FUTURE in mind. That is why Rochas is encouraging education to develop the minds of the people, so that everything will fall into place.

Prof Moses O. E Iwuala published a lecture about sustainable development in which Rochas and Engineering professors from FUTO attended.

A movement is starting to this end. If you are in Owerri, you can follow it up on the Statesman newspaper.

The Western countries are beginning to make a U-turn to Green Solutions. They are re-orientating their mode of development.

No wonder Sigmund Frued wrote "Civilization and its Discontent".
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by asha80(m): 6:02pm On Jul 15, 2012
Olodostein:

Besides, have you been to Oguta, Ikeduru, Mbano, Okwelle.

In fact, we will fully develop Imo with the FUTURE in mind. That is why Rochas is encouraging education to develop the minds of the people, so that everything will fall into place.

Prof Moses O. E Iwuala published a lecture about sustainable development in which Rochas and Engineering professors from FUTO attended.

A movement is starting to this end. If you are in Owerri, you can follow it up on the Statesman newspaper.

The Western countries are beginning to make a U-turn to Green Solutions. They are re-orientating their mode of development.

No wonder Sigmund Frued wrote "Civilization and its Discontent".

i understand you my brother and i think we are on the same page.i do not like the urban jungle style of most nigerian cities.i am more of a green man too but i still think villages and towns shoul be connected with good tarred roads and also intra town roads.water(public taps),schools well equiped,electricity should be available.i even think orji is a bit overpopulated.i have been to mbano(anara) but that was a longtime ago when i was still in sec. School.what about oguta,ikeduru and okwelle?since you seem to be home how is that multicity development that the governor proposed going?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

They should get if they like, but the environment should also be protected. Employment is everywhere, even in the farms. Those who want should stay in the villages if rural-urban drift should be halted. Some erroneously believe it should be halted by developing villages, I think the reverse should be the case. Big people can relocate on the basis of the "cool greens" and not the noise.

So people in the village should not be allowed mining opportunities because they are villagers? Instead they should remain limited in choices and opportunities?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 6:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

So people in the village should not be allowed to be allowed mining opportunities because they are villagers?

What about pollution? Every development idea should be well thought out to avoid creating another Odi town everywhere just because we need mines. Some places should be left the way they are, Alaska, the Amazon etc etc.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2012
In fact, do you know that cool green and very natural areas are all attributes of development?
Let us not see development as only the concrete jungles with attendant noise, air and other environmental polutants.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by macjive01: 6:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
this is exactly the reason i have been promoting the concept of local government governance .

a situation where the LGA will decide what the Lg wants,

housing style

city plan

what constitute crime and its punishment. - community service etc

level and kind of development - an LGA will decide if they want presence of hotels or ashawo joints/brothels etc

which road construction needs priority and hence more resources .

as well as benefit- the LG will know who need it more.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

What about pollution? Every development idea should be well thought out to avoid creating another Odi town everywhere just because we need mines. Some places should be left the way they are, Alaska, the Amazon etc etc.
spyder880: In fact, do you know that cool green and very natural areas are all attributes of development?
Let us not see development as only the concrete jungles with attendant noise, air and other environmental polutants.

Villages and those that live there 365 days of the year should be able to make that decision for themselves. It should not be based on what someone who lives out in one of the cities thinks or says. Villages and towns need equal access to development, no matter how small or rural. Those in these villages and towns should have the right to decide whether they want to keep the the fauna as is or would rather trade it all for the lights and sounds you find in the cities.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
Hey, it a Sunday people!
I am somewhere in a village in Udi enjoying fresh palmwine and abacha. I drove more than 10 kilometers to get here, what a price to pay because I live in a "city"

Cheers everyone! more pictures in my Enugu thread later.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880: Much as I like urban centers, I still think every place dont need to be developed with the same speed like capital cities. This is important so that people who need to have an alternative lifestyle different from what is obtainable in cities can find a place to hide away and relax.

Some people hate to drink refrigerated water, or even pipe borne water. Some people hate the telly, and have so many things to keep them occupied and give their life a meaning. They even laugh at us and wonder how silly we are with our stressed-out livestyles.

I believe those people should have a right to stay where they are, without having us intrude on their solitude with our own idea of what developement should be. Have you enjoyed a purely local dish before? (Not Mac Donalds fries)
Very fresh vegetables with free crabs and farmed yams straight from the barns with fresh local palm oil? Have you sat down under a 90 year old tree and drank fresh palm wine with bush meat without the distraction of blaring horns, have you ever drank water 'frozen' under a thatched hut?

My people, allow some things to be the way they are!

Man, I love your thought process and you understand.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the western countries are regretting and gradually making a U-turn in their mode of development by championing green solutions.

Over there, they engage in large scale farming by using genetically modified crops. Exposure to radiation there is high because of certain industries . Lack of organic food produce, stress and other things that decreases the quality of life. The worst thing is that people in our cities and beginning to embrace this lifestyle.

This is what a renowned western economist said about sustainable development;

"In emerging economies and developing countries,the gains are likely to be higher than in industralised countries because the former can leapfrog to green technology rather than replace obsolete resource intensive infastructure".
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 6:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Villages and those that live there 365 days of the year should be able to make that decision for themselves. It should not be based on what someone who lives out in one of the cities thinks or says. Villages and towns need equal access to development, no matter how small or rural. Those in these villages and towns should have the right to decide whether they want to keep the the fauna as is or would rather trade it all for the lights and sounds you find in the cities.

Most of us left the village to live in the city, and maintain a good presence there to be able to understand the inner workings.
The woman selling pammy and abacha with bushmeat to us, the pammy tapper, the abacha farmer, the vegetable seller, the roasted corn seller and the hunter of bush meeat may not survive very well if you turn thair homes into cities. They will have nothing to exchange as I and other city dwellers will never go there on weekends to pay them as much as we do. They are very useful members of the overall service chain.

2 Likes

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Most of us left the village to live in the city, and maintain a good presence there to be able to understand the inner workings.
The woman selling pammy and abacha with bushmeat to us, the pammy tapper, the abacha farmer, the vegetable seller, the roasted corn seller and the hunter of bush meeat may not survive very well if you turn thair homes into cities. They will have nothing to exchange as I and other city dwellers will never go there on weekends to pay them as much as we do. They are very useful members of the overall service chain.

That all is besides the point . . . the point remains that those in the villages, and towns need to have equal opportunities at development and growth. And the choices should be left only to those who live there 365 days of the years, not the 'part timers' or those who occasionally patronize village businesses.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

That all is besides the point . . . the point remains that those in the villages, and towns need to have equal opportunities at development and growth. And the choices should be left only to those who live there 365 days of the years, not the 'part timers' or those who occasionally patronize village businesses.

Okay, you suggest everywhere in Nigeria be turned into urban centers?
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by kittykat1(f): 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
shymmex: Can you guys define what a village is because most Nigerian towns and cities look like villages to me? grin
Just Shut UP
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Clemzy16(m): 6:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
ROSSIKE:

That villagers are fetching water from a stream does not imply there is an ''absolute absence of amenities''. Also, could you tell us the NAME of this state, because they are not too many places one goes in Nigeria and sees donkeys... especially ''a km outside the city''. Care to name the city/state or have you forgotten?
Like he said, the donkey and people struggling for water was a mere joke. He was trying to be ironical. You guys were suppose to view the statement from the other side but unfortunately the reverse is the case here.... Or didn't you do literature while in secondary school...

1 Like

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by ipromise: 7:09pm On Jul 15, 2012
Ondostate as example some good governance novice even our governor Mimiko believed that urban infrastrutural development is democracy and rural neglection is ok by him..Beautification of akure city alone does it mean he is DEMOCRATIC?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Helipad At OTUEKE/OTUABA In Ogbia Bayelsa State / Breaking News: Dr Ikpeazu Just Lost His Appeal At The Supreme Court Now ! / Obiano Apologizes To IPOB Over May 30 2016 Killing Of Members In Onitsha.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.