Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City (6255 Views)

James Ibori Marries Senami Sosu As Second Wife? - The Capital / David Mark Solely Sworn In As A Mark Of Respect / AWKA: A Capital City In Race To Catch Up With Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
People should not need to migrate to the cities, like Akure, before they can get access to good roads, good water, electricity, good healthcare systems, good schools . . these things need to be found [b]everywhere [/b]in the state.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880:

Okay, you suggest everywhere in Nigeria be turned into urban centers?

Again, equal opportunity at growth. Your today's city could become tomorrow's village. Today's village needs to have the opportunity to become tomorrow's city if it wants to and can achieve it.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
spyder880: Much as I like urban centers, I still think every place dont need to be developed with the same speed like capital cities. This is important so that people who need to have an alternative lifestyle different from what is obtainable in cities can find a place to hide away and relax.

Some people hate to drink refrigerated water, or even pipe borne water. Some people hate the telly, and have so many things to keep them occupied and give their life a meaning. They even laugh at us and wonder how silly we are with our stressed-out livestyles.

I believe those people should have a right to stay where they are, without having us intrude on their solitude with our own idea of what developement should be. Have you enjoyed a purely local dish before? (Not Mac Donalds fries)
Very fresh vegetables with free crabs and farmed yams straight from the barns with fresh local palm oil? Have you sat down under a 90 year old tree and drank fresh palm wine with bush meat without the distraction of blaring horns, have you ever drank water 'frozen' under a thatched hut?

My people, allow some things to be the way they are!

God bless you for this comment.

The other day I went to my village, and then I and my cousin from Lagos went to visit our extended village family members, who live inside inside the village. The peace and quiet in that place was indescribable. We just sat outside within the compound as they brought palm wine freshly tapped that afternoon, water from the traditional pot inside the house (God it tasted beautiful and pure), then they brought Ncha (African salad) plus Ugba, (oil bean) with roast yam, palm oil and smoked fish etc..They were not 'rich', but what they had they shared with love, pride and joy. The environment, totally quiet and peaceful, the compound shaded by huge trees, not the sound of a single car or bike could be heard anywhere, the gentle breeze blowing. The compound swept clean. The red earth of the soil welcomed you in its own timeless, beguiling way. It just had me thinking to myself, that these people are actually the ones living life the way it should be lived. I've never felt so free and peaceful as I did that day. We cannot allow ourselves to lose all that in this mad rush to so-called modernity.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 9:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
^^^ if only you saw me in my "adulthood" jumping from branch to branch on a mango tree 2 years ago to select from over 500 mango fruits in the village.

The best things in life are free!
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
^^^LOL. grin grin Do you know I can't remember when last I plucked fruit from a tree? cool cool
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by 1forall: 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
Na so for Nigeria
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
Climbing Mango trees should have nothing to do with whether you live in a Village or a city. There are kids on the trees in the park, or around the homes here too. They do not have to move out to the boondocks to experience such joys of childhood.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Sleekjd(f): 9:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
Ondo state is a good example of what the op is talking about. Aside the state capital Akure and the gov's town Ondo other towns r neglected.
In Ikare, the commercial nerve center of Akoko, the road in the town is horrible. If u board a bus 'agolo' be sure of terrible pains when you alight, don't go on a bike cos that might be your undoing. When it rains, God!, you will weep for the town. The governor built a market and the road leading there is not accessible even by leg... lol.
The car that fits the road in this town is a hummer jeep. My car ends up in the mechanic workshop each time I go to n fro work. Infact most times I prefer the busy n d accompanying back aches cos its cheaper
Abeg, I work here n the town is so ugly that I am ashamed of inviting friends, cos its embarassing.
I served in a village Achi in Oji River, Enugu state n it was the best year of my life d serenity n all. But a town shud be well developed @ least.
I'm clamouring for transfer cos this town is not it @ all. I was in a bus last week n a guy who prolly just came back from the states said " Ikare is the way it is 15 yrs ago" Imagine!
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by UdembaBenjamin: 10:06pm On Jul 15, 2012
I don't really want to comment on dis topic, what i want to kn is hw to post topic for dia nairaland, pls i need replys
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Abagworo(m): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
I think asha80(poster) made a gross mistake by using Imo as an example. I went to Orlu 2 weeks ago and was surprised. From Orlu to Uga in Anambra state and from Orlu to Nwangele was almost totally urbanised. Though the roads were not in the best of condition, I noticed the level of ongoing construction works. From Oguta to Owerri via Mgbidi is as smooth as Abuja roads. The bad road I passed although a bit late was from Anara to Owerri. That area is almost entirely urbanised too. Owerri to Ph highway(Federal) is under construction.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2012
Road construction = Urbanized?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
asha 80: i understand you my brother and i think we are on the same page.i do not like the urban jungle style of most nigerian cities.i am more of a green man too but i still think villages and towns shoul be connected with good tarred roads and also intra town roads.water(public taps),schools well equiped,electricity should be available.i even think orji is a bit overpopulated.i have been to mbano(anara) but that was a longtime ago when i was still in sec. School.what about oguta,ikeduru and okwelle?since you seem to be home how is that multicity development that the governor proposed going?

Major roads that linked villages and towns should be tarred. Intra town roads should be maintained but not tarred. The ground and trees needs to absorb water after rainfall. Nature should be preserved. Orji may appear a bit populated on the outside because of the Major Okigwe road, but the inside is quite and suburban. The Natural surroundings should be nurtured and preserved.

Multi city developments is ongoing but like I highlighted in my posts, there is a growing awareness of emphasis on sustainable development. The 4tier government Rochas introduced is helping matters. Oguta, Ikeduru, Okwelle, Mbano, Orlu, etc are all towns to be reckoned with and growing.

Everywhere should be developed and have the fundamental infrastructures but let it be sustainable.

Did you see the fires in Colorado and floods in Japan? What about Lagos? Are these dire occurrences mere coincidence? Nature does not play dice.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by publisher(m): 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
For me,without any bias,I give it to the South east in terms of real industrial Urbanization even with little or no federal government support. Though i must confess that on my recent trip to the East,i saw on going reconstructions of many Federal roads. Every major non-state capital towns in the East seems to be rich in REAL economic activities;starting from Onitsha down to Nnewi,Nkpor,Aba,Okigwe,Orlu and Ihiala just to mention a few.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Abagworo(m): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
I think asha80(poster) made a gross mistake by using Imo as an example.You've not been home for so long. I went to Orlu 2 weeks ago and was surprised. From Orlu to Uga in Anambra state and from Orlu to Nwangele was almost totally urbanised. Though the roads were not in the best of condition, I noticed the level of ongoing construction works. From Oguta to Owerri via Mgbidi is as smooth as Abuja roads. The bad road I passed although a bit late was from Anara to Owerri. That area is almost entirely urbanised too. Owerri to Ph highway(Federal) is under construction.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
Again . . .
Road construction == Urbanized?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by emiye(m): 11:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
A very common fallacy, even among the supposed enlightened ...
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by SisiKill1: 3:44am On Jul 16, 2012
Can people not write complete words anymore?

Jeez, the first page of this thread was practically unreadable with all the. . D 2 4 jargons.

Very appalling, especially for people who are supposed to be adults. undecided
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 16, 2012
Where's that dude that is clamoring for Delta State? From history, Warri was supposed to be the state capital but due to politics, Asaba was chosen.
Also, Warri is an oil town.
So don't tell me that Delta is developed in all towns!
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Abagworo(m): 8:51am On Jul 16, 2012
madambini: Where's that dude that is clamoring for Delta State? From history, Warri was supposed to be the state capital but due to politics, Asaba was chosen.
Also, Warri is an oil town.
So don't tell me that Delta is developed in all towns!

All these ethnic bigoted insinuation kind of piss me off. Warri was the largest city in Delta just like Onitsha to Anambra and Aba to Abia but because of spread in development the capital was fixed in Asaba, Awka and Umuahia.

So please tell us what qualifies Warri as a better site for capital than Asaba without ethnic sentiments.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by spyder880(m): 10:25am On Jul 16, 2012
In Enugu state, Nsukka is very urbanized, will compete with Enugu town in many aspects. Nsukka surrounding towns are also coming up. Agbani too is pushing things deep into Nkanu hinterlands. There are now boreholes in most parts of the state, govt projects and individual sponsored, there is light in many towns, companies are all outside the city capital, with Ninth mile corner having up to 4 blue chip companies operating there.

Most of the new housing projects are happening outside Enugu city limits, following the long roads tearing into the bushes. You can imagine a place as deep as Akpugo and Ugbawka towns getting private universities! (Madonna and Renaissance universities)

I showed all these in my Enugu thread.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by megxo(m): 11:44am On Jul 16, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] @op, nice question..... imagine a visitor enters ur house n see ur Living Room unkept n looking dirty ;, wen he goes out, he assumes d whole house is SHYTE gringringringringrin
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by Kobojunkie: 11:47am On Jul 16, 2012
megxo: [color=#006600][/color] @op, nice question..... imagine a visitor enters ur house n see ur Living Room unkept n looking dirty ;, wen he goes out, he assumes d whole house is SHYTE gringringringringrin

That is to be expected though. The WHOLE STATE, not some parts of the state should be developed.
Re: Why Judge The Development Of A State Solely On The Capital City by achi4u(m): 11:51am On Jul 16, 2012
nature should be preserve at all cost.
@spyder88,your comments makes sence but the villagers still needs:
*tarred roads
*bridges if any.like that of 'Ebonyi 16 unity bridges'.
*light
*hospitals
*schools...etc.etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Irony Of The Igbo Marginalization Theory. / Is this a Government Or A Mistake? - BBC News rubbishes Buhari / Biafra:what Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Getting Right- Philip Effiong [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.