Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,061 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (308732 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by smithjanetstore: 9:45pm On Feb 28, 2013
@Ms Nas its not want you think i was only trying to help flynbrb out from this trash because the school privacy does not mean anything to us and this thread is meant for enquires while flynbird is not ready to give out the school name am sorry if i might done something wrong but but the stuff never reach that level to tell me SHUT IT its seems you ve been searching for me for a long time na whaooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by blawi1(f): 10:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
@ imperiouxx

Pls do you still have GRE materials? If yes kindly send them to nike.seyifunmi@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mansay(m): 10:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
sOmebody should reply me please
mansay: [/color][color=#000099] undecidedPLease how can ℓ̊ get addmission into any high school in the USA..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
mansay: sOmebody should reply me please

Same process except that you may need your JS3 Certificate (can't remember what its called). We didn't have to do any evaluation for that. You may start at Ninth grade which is JS3 in NIG. What grade are you trying to get into? *You cannot be above 18*
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mansay(m): 10:27pm On Feb 28, 2013
Gat ma jss3 certificate but ma passport is gonna be 18by june plz send me the info
Yvete:

Same procedure except that you may need your JS3 Certificate (can't remember what its called). We didn't have to do any evaluation for that. You may start at Ninth grade which is JS3 in NIG. What grade are you trying to get into? *You cannot be above 18*
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Isobutylene: 4:14pm On Mar 01, 2013
Hi guys,I really appreciate you guys for providing valuable information on this thread. Now, I need advice from guys already in the States. I have been admitted into the University of South Carolina, Lousiana State University and University of Houston for a graduate program (PhD), with full tuition waver and assistantship. Now, I would like to know the best of these 3 in terms of cost of living,life in general (i.e.boring or lively) and relaxation centers. I do not trust my findings on the internet so I need a first-hand information from my fellow Nigerians. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 5:21pm On Mar 01, 2013
Isobutylene: Hi guys,I really appreciate you guys for providing valuable information on this thread. Now, I need advice from guys already in the States. I have been admitted into the University of South Carolina, Lousiana State University and University of Houston for a graduate program (PhD), with full tuition waver and assistantship. Now, I would like to know the best of these 3 in terms of cost of living,life in general (i.e.boring or lively) and relaxation centers. I do not trust my findings on the internet so I need a first-hand information from my fellow Nigerians. Thanks in anticipation.

Go Houston!!!

Don't think twice. I will be back with my reasons later in the day.

Congrats on your admission into those top US schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 5:26pm On Mar 01, 2013
Isobutylene: Hi guys,I really appreciate you guys for providing valuable information on this thread. Now, I need advice from guys already in the States. I have been admitted into the University of South Carolina, Lousiana State University and University of Houston for a graduate program (PhD), with full tuition waver and assistantship. Now, I would like to know the best of these 3 in terms of cost of living,life in general (i.e.boring or lively) and relaxation centers. I do not trust my findings on the internet so I need a first-hand information from my fellow Nigerians. Thanks in anticipation.

Congrats ... it's HOUSTON all the way! But what program are you going for? Shouldn't that also be a factor? Abi na only faaji matter to you grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Isobutylene: 6:21pm On Mar 01, 2013
Yeah, thanks guys!!!...Though overall, UH ranks highest among the three but the truth is that the Professor in my field of expertise (Reaction Engineering) is an old man (his interest is closest to mine among all) and I need an Assistant Professor or at worst an Associate Professor. I don't want to be begging my advisor to review my manuscript before sending it to Journal for publication, in view of that, I need someone who is still VERY active in research!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2013
Isobutylene: Yeah, thanks guys!!!...Though overall, UH ranks highest among the three but the truth is that the Professor in my field of expertise (Reaction Engineering) is an old man (his interest is closest to mine among all) and I need an Assistant Professor or at worst an Associate Professor. I don't want to be begging my advisor to review my manuscript before sending it to Journal for publication, in view of that, I need someone who is still VERY active in research!

You are fine...America is not Nigeria where you will have to beg a professor or carry his/her bags before they attend to you. You should be happy you have a Prof with a lot of experience, who prolly is an emeritus, which technically means he has published the results of his several researches in reputable journals, has friends/colleagues in research institutions, highly connected and can recommend you for future jobs etc.

I would personally go for the old Professor...Experience they say is the best teacher.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by smithjanetstore: 9:26pm On Mar 01, 2013
NAIRALANDERS i need help my cousins admission packet and I-20 arrived today from so so so university............. and has to resume at the school no lather than august is going for undergraduate studies but his school cert is 2005 somebody pls help me out on how to fill the 8yrs GAPS in order for him to stand the V.O questions beacuse some of the V.O yilori gan and which date will be very ok for his interview i mean before the school resumption date a month, or more than or less than i need quick response please because his days are limited he has only few months to go
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 9:51pm On Mar 01, 2013
smithjanetstore: NAIRALANDERS i need help my cousins admission packet and I-20 arrived today from so so so university............. and has to resume at the school no lather than august is going for undergraduate studies but his school cert is 2005 somebody pls help me out on how to fill the 8yrs GAPS in order for him to stand the V.O questions beacuse some of the V.O yilori gan and which date will be very ok for his interview i mean before the school resumption date a month, or more than or less than i need quick response please because his days are limited he has only few months to go
Is it you or your cousin? OjaP answer him o

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 9:53pm On Mar 01, 2013
smithjanetstore: NAIRALANDERS i need help my cousins admission packet and I-20 arrived today from so so so university............. and has to resume at the school no lather than august is going for undergraduate studies but his school cert is 2005 somebody pls help me out on how to fill the 8yrs GAPS in order for him to stand the V.O questions beacuse some of the V.O yilori gan and which date will be very ok for his interview i mean before the school resumption date a month, or more than or less than i need quick response please because his days are limited he has only few months to go

lloll smithjanet don come again ooo everytime na wha for una grin grin smithjanet from now till august is 5 months so theres still time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 10:02pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ms Nas:
Is it you or your cousin? OjaP answer him o

Smith Janet: I don't even think it is necesaary to know if it is you or your cousin at this time.

The school resume by August right? So, why do you need quick response?

You still have up to 5 months to apply fo Visa. So how are your days limited? Sorry, how are your cousin's days limited?

8 years gap: Do you want us to come up with a story when you haven't told us anything about your cousin before? What do you expect us to say or advice about someone who we don't know his highest qualifications or job? Give us a brief summary of what you or your cousin have been doing since 2005, then we can help you polish it.

BTW, is this not the same SmithJanet that was fuming that flynbird didn't wanna disclose the name of her school? So, why are you now hiding the name of your cousin's school....grin grin

Congrats on your cousin's admission. grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by smithjanetstore: 10:21pm On Mar 01, 2013
@Ms Nas i cant lie for such thing now is for my cousin so you poeple dont trust me @ all oga oooo i hope i have apologized for the comments i made abt flynbird it seems u dont like it or u still angry with me ni ? @ OjaP u sound so harsh most of the time and straight forward ok he works has an account clerk @Mamacita007 you right from now till august is 5 months so theres still time. yes but i only want everything to be done fast thats why because am out of nija and my cousin does nt know much abt this dubs thats y...............
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mansay(m): 10:30pm On Mar 01, 2013
Yvete:
Brov am still wating for your reply plz..
Same procedure except that you may need your JS3 Certificate (can't remember what its called). We didn't have to do any evaluation for that. You may start at Ninth grade which is JS3 in NIG. What grade are you trying to get into? *You cannot be above 18*
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 10:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
Now the people attacking flynbird can start a new war. shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 11:07pm On Mar 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Now the people attacking flynbird can start a new war. shocked shocked
And the people are ready to disappoint you this time around. No one is going to ask about the school..........lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 11:25pm On Mar 01, 2013
@Isobutylene,congrats mehn! Can't say the same for me.I got a rejection from weill cornell pharmacology a few days back and haven't heard anything from albert einstein of yeshiva and stony brook pharmacology.Guess i didnt apply to the right schools. May be our friends on the yankee side of this thread can be of help to me(advice). what second-rate biomedical schools can one apply to? is my GRE too low for doctoral admission?
my stats: MSc pharmacolgy(ibadan) with weighted average of 67%
GRE: V-152,Q-157 AW-3.5
TOEFL-104
please criticisms are welcome. i need to get it right this time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 11:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
I will interprete it o. Lol...how una dey na. I have missed everybody o.

Yvete:

Gini ka i na-ekwu? O soso *yimu* ka i ma asu! Haha!
Nobody will intepret this for you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 11:44pm On Mar 01, 2013
winbyforce: @Isobutylene,congrats mehn! Can't say the same for me.I got a rejection from weill cornell pharmacology a few days back and haven't heard anything from albert einstein of yeshiva and stony brook pharmacology.Guess i didnt apply to the right schools. May be our friends on the yankee side of this thresd can be of help to me(advice). what second-rate biomedical schools can one apply to? is my GRE too low for doctoral admission?
my stats: MSc pharmacolgy(ibadan) with weighted average of 67%
GRE: V-152,Q-157 AW-3.5
TOEFL-104
please criticisms are welcome. i need to get it right this time.

Sorry to hear about your case bro. It is so difficult to get into those IVY league schools/colleges of medicine. It is highly competitive, so they go for the brightest students especially when you are seeking a graduate degree. I will advise you talk to Imperriouxx, he is the only "metabolite" I know of here, and I believe he will be willing to advise you.

I am also thinking an average of 67% and combined GRE of 309 may be too low to get an admission into any of these big schools. You may have to be relaxed with your choice of school. I wish you the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 11:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
@OjaP, thanks a lot. Actually 67% by ibadan marking scheme is very good and is stated in the trancripts. However, i need to look for grade B schools to apply to since my entire package may not be so convincing by American standards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 11:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
winbyforce: @OjaP, thanks a lot. Actually 67% by ibadan marking scheme is very good and is stated in the trancripts. However, i need to look for grade B schools to apply to since my entire package may not be so convincing by American standards.
I agree with you. Try www.msinus.com to check out schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FutureDon(m): 12:32am On Mar 02, 2013
@winbyforce.

Based on what I've read (and still reading) on gradcafe, PhD admission decision is heavily influenced by your research areas. You really need to peruse research pages for each faculty to determine how 'fit' your research areas are. For instance, let's say a prospective student's area is neuropyschopharmacology of mood disorders; if there is no faculty currently working on a related topic in such area, it is unlikely that such prospective student would be accepted into the program.

Did you contact Profs prior to your application?

You should try and apply to more schools (both top and averagely ranked), I read somewhere on gradcafe about people applying to more than 8 PhD programs. Admission into biosciences doctoral programs are really competitive. Just like you, I'm looking at Neuroscience PhDs for next Fall.

My advise is based on what I've learned so far from gradcafe. I honestly think your MSc grade is really good, don't be bothered by it as there is nothing you can do to raise it up. Also, be sure to ask the right set of people for recommendation letters, not the lazy naija lecturers that will only write 2 lines.

Good luck bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 12:54am On Mar 02, 2013
@FutureDon

You are so correct...that is exactly how it works. But I think we should first of all be sure we meet the general requirements before applying or contacting a Prof. I am so sure Winbyforce would have done that during the admission process. A professor will only fight your case if you meet the general requirements or slightly below what they expect. Then, they may let you take some pre-requisites.

But honestly, a GRE score of 309 will be less than 1200 (Old GRE). Most of these big schools want a score of over 1200 atleast and may be a higher quantitative score if you are applying to the engineering school. If I am not wrong, Nigeria's PhD grade is having a MS weighted average of atleast 60%. Winbyforce 67% average will prolly be within the range of 3.0 - 3.4 (US equivalent)which is a good average, but unfortunately doesn't look too good when applying to top schools. Though, most school's admission page will say a minimum of 3.0 but I can assure you that these schools have their pick of the best/brightest students. Most candidates that were accepted usually have a GPA within the range of 3.75-4.0 and a very high GRE scores. Remember you are competing with the best students all over the world.

I will advise winbyforce to consider the "B" schools too when shortlisting PhD schools.

I wish him the very best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 1:15am On Mar 02, 2013
@FutureDon and @OjaP,thanks a lot guys. your comments have been very insightful.309 =1220(old GRE),that's why i didn't bother re-writing the test.might have to do that now to boost my scores though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FutureDon(m): 1:34am On Mar 02, 2013
@OjaP

That's thoughtfully worded, weldone bro.

@Winbyforce

No worries bro, you must win by force (by fire) smiley. You might want to peruse these blogs;

http://science-professor..co.uk/2007/12/writing-to-me.html

https://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/downloads

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:29am On Mar 02, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:00am On Mar 02, 2013
mansay: Yvete: Brov am still wating for your reply plz..

I am not a "brov".
Same process I explained above. Did you complete secondary education in Nigeria, did you drop out or are you still enrolled in a Secondary School over there? Who is your sponsor and why do you choose to go back to High School? What state are you looking at? Any sibling in the US (above 21)?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:04am On Mar 02, 2013
cheesy grin cheesy
SMITHJANETSTORE!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mansay(m): 7:10am On Mar 02, 2013
Droped out want 2 go back cos that's the only way ℓ̊ can get 2 enter uni or college but gat no sibbling over there but cousins m looking for a cheap one ɑ̤̥̈̊n̶̲̥̅̊d̶̲̥̅̊ m̶̲̥̅̊y̶̲̥̅̊ sponsor is m̶̲̥̅̊y̶̲̥̅̊ bro..thanks
Yvete:

I am not a "brov".
Same process I explained above. Did you complete secondary education in Nigeria, did you drop out or are you still enrolled in a Secondary School over there? Who is your sponsor and why do you choose to go back to High School? What state are you looking at? Any sibling in the US (above 21)?

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Need Help With Direction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.