Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (898168 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Functionoftime(m): 5:35pm On Sep 11, 2022
Conner44:

Okay. Ask the previous owner if he had ever replaced the gearbox oil and when last he changed it. Also ask him the exact type of oil he used, if he used the wrong type you’d need to change it out asap to save the gearbox.

Also since your check engine light is on you will need to find a way to scan the vehicle. That’s the only way you can know exactly what is wrong with it.
He changed it a month and half ago with atf oil.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 8:25pm On Sep 11, 2022
Functionoftime:

He changed it a month and half ago with atf oil.

I think you’d have to finally change that gearbox.

The previous owner must have used the wrong types of oils whenever he was changing it before. I am sure he was also experiencing issues with that same gearbox, hence the reason he was changing oils.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Maxijoe(m): 8:42pm On Sep 11, 2022
Good evening everyone, the wire on the negative terminal on my battery got disconected and I drove straight back home for over 15km without connecting it back. which means I drove back home batteryless. Did I have anything to worry about. saying this because the battery has finally ran down. I fixed the wire as soon as I got home, run it for some time, locked the car and went to rest only for me to come back to pick sometging from the car
and discovered the battery has completely run down. Pls, anything to worry about?
Thanks.
@GAZZUZ, LUVINGHUBBY,KINGREIGN
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by WycliffeSMB(m): 9:08am On Sep 12, 2022
Good morning House...
Pls there is something I need clarity on...

I noticed that both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors on my Honda Odyssey 2001 model are disconnected, and yet the Check-engine light is NOT on.

The vehicle runs smoothly, no issues...

But from my observation it seems the fuel consumption is a bit higher than normal.

I need suggestions on what steps I need to take if necessary.

Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 8:00am On Sep 14, 2022
Hello guys!

I use 2008 honda Accord and I've been servicing it with Mobil 1 5w 20 which is recommended for it since I bought it almost a year ago as toks. I may have to start using the normal Mobil 20w50 for it because the price for mobil 1 keeps increasing and Naija no easy now. My question is this,will it have a negative effect on the engine and is there anyone here who has been using 20w50 to service his Honda Accord without any issues?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by brosiye99(m): 8:12am On Sep 14, 2022
Please keep on using the Mobil 1 5w30 oil. Budget to change it twice a year because the full synthetic of that oil grade can go 10,000 miles before next service which is about 16,000Km. To be safe, you can change the oil at 7,000 miles or 11,000km. If you cover that distance in one year, then it should be once a year servicing. Else if you drive frequently and always enter stop and start traffic,you can do twice a year. It is better for you in the long run. Engine price is crazy expensive now.
agoodman:
Hello guys!

I use 2008 honda Accord and I've been servicing it with Mobil 1 5w 20 which is recommended for it since I bought it almost a year ago as toks. I may have to start using the normal Mobil 20w50 for it because the price for mobil 1 keeps increasing and Naija no easy now. My question is this,will it have a negative effect on the engine and is there anyone here who has been using 20w50 to service his Honda Accord without any issues?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Dozieson(m): 9:05am On Sep 14, 2022
agoodman:
Hello guys!

It is cheaper to use 5w 20 as the poster above has said

If you wish to downgrade go with 5w 30 semi synthetic but you still have to change it every 3000km. Do the price calculations.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 9:41am On Sep 14, 2022
brosiye99:
Please keep on using the Mobil 1 5w30 oil. Budget to change it twice a year because the full synthetic of that oil grade can go 10,000 miles before next service which is about 16,000Km. To be safe, you can change the oil at 7,000 miles or 11,000km. If you cover that distance in one year, then it should be once a year servicing. Else if you drive frequently and always enter stop and start traffic,you can do twice a year. It is better for you in the long run. Engine price is crazy expensive now.

I don't change it twice a year because the maintenance light always comes on every 3000miles and i don't like driving it like that when the maintenance light comes on.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GreekDon: 9:54am On Sep 14, 2022
agoodman:
Hello guys!

I know paying 30k for the Mobil 1 hurts. But it's actually the better option. 20W50 is too heavy for the K24. You don't want to start dealing with failed VTC actuators.

If you don't suffer from Oil burns and blue smoke, please stick with original Mobil 1 5w20. You gonna enjoy that engine for a long time.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GreekDon: 9:57am On Sep 14, 2022
agoodman:

I don't change it twice a year because the maintenance light always comes on every 3000miles and i don't like driving it like that when the maintenance light comes on.

If you use good quality oil, you are good to run 5k miles or 6 months before the next oil change. Resetting the 3k miles oil minder is easy. Look up on how to reset your oil minder on youtube.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 10:37am On Sep 14, 2022
agoodman:

Synthetic oils can go longer . Use miles to measure instead. You can do 5k safely so long as the oil is original. Make sure it's fully synthetic from top brands . Biko don't buy the cheap stuff then run it for too long ooo
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by selfmadeOLX(m): 10:56am On Sep 14, 2022
agoodman:
Hello guys!

Oil is cheap, engines are not
Do not be penny wise in the short run and pounds foolish in the long run

Switch to another brand of full synthetic 5w-20 that’s cheaper like valvoline. Make sure you get authentic

OR

For every 1k miles, buy 1 liter of oil at 5-7k and keep. At the end of 5k miles, you would have jusy enough for service. Rinse and repeat wink

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nbg4real: 5:42pm On Sep 14, 2022
Good evening all. Please what are the common problems with Honda CR-V . 2008 to 2011 models?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:16pm On Sep 14, 2022
Nbg4real:
Good evening all. Please what are the common problems with Honda CR-V . 2008 to 2011 models?

The only issue is the use of the wrong weight of oil or oil starvation (due to leaks or burning) which will affect the VTC cam gears and cause the dreaded 3 second rattle at startup.

The crv is a sturdy vehicle all round
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by selfmadeOLX(m): 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2022
WycliffeSMB:
Good morning House...
Pls there is something I need clarity on...

I noticed that both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors on my Honda Odyssey 2001 model are disconnected, and yet the Check-engine light is NOT on.

The vehicle runs smoothly, no issues...

But from my observation it seems the fuel consumption is a bit higher than normal.

I need suggestions on what steps I need to take if necessary.

Thank you.

They have either removed the LED that lights up the CEL or covered it with black tape from the inside the instrument cluster

Get a scanner and scan the vehicle. Pull out the codes and post on google for interpretation of the codes.

You’ll know what to do next
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Reelz: 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

Oil is cheap, engines are not
Do not be penny wise in the short run and pounds foolish in the long run

Switch to another brand of full synthetic 5w-20 that’s cheaper like valvoline. Make sure you get authentic

OR

For every 1k miles, buy 1 liter of oil at 5-7k and keep. At the end of 5k miles, you would have jusy enough for service. Rinse and repeat wink
what type of advise is this pls in the second paragraph..
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Chae: 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2022
Guru's
My 08 honda civic ac is tripping of after working for some minutes and it may or may not pickup after 2min, and av change relay, my rewire told me that my thermostat is weak need replacement, ofwhich he gave me 2 option
1 they wil remove d dashboard and replace d thermostat
2 they wil work manual thermsort and relay outside
Pls am on a cross road here
I need your candid advice sirs
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ManAdii: 10:11pm On Sep 15, 2022
Please which car scanner do you guys use?
I want to get one. I'm a first time car owner abeg make una no vex.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Burchester: 10:15pm On Sep 15, 2022
Namzy:

You can test for the vtc solenoid using an advanced scan tool.

Help me with the name of the app and scanner. Will like to be scanning myself.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Namzy(m): 8:19am On Sep 16, 2022
Burchester:

Help me with the name of the app and scanner. Will like to be scanning myself.

Nexzdas NL300.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sirnioking(m): 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2022
Good evening, all. I will love to change my 2012 4plug (2 pots) Honda accord catalyst to the original (Oyibo kind) type. How much will it cost me pls, and am in PH. Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Greatmatty: 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2022
Greatmatty:
Hello fam,

my civic 06 is slowly leaking power steering fluid, i've had to top it from time to time. Mechanic said its the seal connecting the steering pump or so that is weak, he has fixed it severally but nothing permanent.

Pls how can this be fixed without changing pump completely?

gazzuzz kingrein luvinhubby Conner44 Collione

modified

A different mech changed seals inside the pump, pressure hose was weak and cut open, changed it and leakage has stopped completely.

Anyone having similar issue can learn. 1 love

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Millyyyyy: 11:11am On Sep 17, 2022
Good morning everyone. Some few days ago my Honda crv started making this very loud noise from the engine bay. Immediately I start the car, the noise will start very loudly, but once I put it in gear, D, it will instantly reduce like almost disappear, but starts again when I press the throttle. Since the noise started I noticed the engine performance has reduced, the gear change struggle to change from gear 1-2-3-4 and the car doesn’t move as fast

What could be happening? Want to send it to the mech but also have an idea what’s happening so they
won’t play me.

Please help
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 5:21pm On Sep 17, 2022
Millyyyyy:
Good morning everyone. Some few days ago my Honda crv started making this very loud noise from the engine bay. Immediately I start the car, the noise will start very loudly, but once I put it in gear, D, it will instantly reduce like almost disappear, but starts again when I press the throttle. Since the noise started I noticed the engine performance has reduced, the gear change struggle to change from gear 1-2-3-4 and the car doesn’t move as fast

What could be happening? Want to send it to the mech but also have an idea what’s happening so they
won’t play me.

Please help

If the check engine light is on then please scan and share the results
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by quam9997(m): 7:03pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hello bosses, happy weekend my Oga.
I’ll like to know what’s making my car steering ceasing when I try to steer and immediately it’ll turn off my dashboard and I’ll feel the car jerk a bit. It recently started happening. Then today I noticed that whenever I turn left the car creaks on the left tire. What could be wrong my Ogas. I’ll like to know before visiting the respective experts
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nbg4real: 9:08pm On Sep 17, 2022
[quote author=Conner44 post=116673160]

The only issue is the use of the wrong weight of oil or oil starvation (due to leaks or burning) which will affect the VTC cam gears and cause the dreaded 3 second rattle at startup.

The crv is a sturdy vehicle all round thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by quam9997(m): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2022
quam9997:
Hello bosses, happy weekend my Oga.
I’ll like to know what’s making my car steering ceasing when I try to steer and immediately it’ll turn off my dashboard and I’ll feel the car jerk a bit. It recently started happening. Then today I noticed that whenever I turn left the car creaks on the left tire. What could be wrong my Ogas. I’ll like to know before visiting the respective experts

Good evening house .. I also scanned it yesterday and it brought this code

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2022
[quote author=Nbg4real post=116763154][/quote]

What year?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by quam9997(m): 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2022
quam9997:

Good evening house .. I also scanned it yesterday and it brought this code

I’m waiting on the experts in the please
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Dozieson(m): 7:32pm On Sep 18, 2022
quam9997:

I’m waiting on the experts in the please

You explanation is not clear. What is the drivability issues you are having?

The code is related to faulty wiring, blown fuse or battery related.

Please throw more light of what happens to the car when driving

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by quam9997(m): 9:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
Dozieson:

You explanation is not clear. What is the drivability issues you are having?

The code is related to faulty wiring, blown fuse or battery related.

Please throw more light of what happens to the car when driving

Okay.. so basically for like a week whenever I try to reverse my car. My infotainment goes off and immediately the steering becomes stiff.

Not until yesterday evening, I wanted to turn and all off sudden the steering wasn’t moving and each time I forcefully moves it, it drags me back and Almost immediately my infotainment will trip off and on too.

I don’t know if this is clear enough but in essence it felt like I could not turn, reverse or even drive the car as the steering was static, not until I turned off the ignition and on back .

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.