Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (368) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (895038 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 11:48am On Sep 20, 2022
Conner44:

Don’t worry, the car will love you back wink

High end synthetic oil costs around N30k
High grade conventional costs around N15k

Please what specific type of engine oil do you use that costs the N23k you usually spend in buying it?

LOL! I just serviced my '15 Accord with Total Synthetic Future 0W20. The oil alone cost me 37k at Total Service Centre at Slaughter, Port Harcourt.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:23pm On Sep 20, 2022
Hugoboi:

LOL! I just serviced my '15 Accord with Total Synthetic Future 0W20. The oil alone cost me 37k at Total Service Centre at Slaughter, Port Harcourt.

Wow nice. I’ve never tried these total oils before.

But if I had 37k to spend on engine oil I’d have gotten mobil 1 instead so far it’s original. I trust their brand.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:28pm On Sep 20, 2022
quam9997:

Okay.. so basically for like a week whenever I try to reverse my car. My infotainment goes off and immediately the steering becomes stiff.

Not until yesterday evening, I wanted to turn and all off sudden the steering wasn’t moving and each time I forcefully moves it, it drags me back and Almost immediately my infotainment will trip off and on too.

I don’t know if this is clear enough but in essence it felt like I could not turn, reverse or even drive the car as the steering was static, not until I turned off the ignition and on back .

Did you swim through floods recently? This issue is electrical since it’s intermittent. Is your power steering electronic? Check your fuses to see if any is bad first, even relays can mess up at times.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by folario: 4:16pm On Sep 20, 2022
Please what’s the best oil and filter for Honda Accord 2000 Ex V6 kindly assist pls
Can I use the pix attached and what’s the best oil filter

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:45pm On Sep 20, 2022
folario:
Please what’s the best oil and filter for Honda Accord 2000 Ex V6 kindly assist pls
Can I use the pix attached and what’s the best oil filter

Use what you have using before, not good to switch oils anyhow
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:48pm On Sep 20, 2022
Hugoboi:

The cost of genuine 0W20 Ultimate(long life) full synthetic oil is N35,000 for gallon

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Demmtek(m): 10:17pm On Sep 20, 2022
quam9997:

Okay.. so basically for like a week whenever I try to reverse my car. My infotainment goes off and immediately the steering becomes stiff.

Not until yesterday evening, I wanted to turn and all off sudden the steering wasn’t moving and each time I forcefully moves it, it drags me back and Almost immediately my infotainment will trip off and on too.

I don’t know if this is clear enough but in essence it felt like I could not turn, reverse or even drive the car as the steering was static, not until I turned off the ignition and on back .
i did experience similar issue with my 2014 accord, turns out the battery terminal is not tight enough,
The glitch happens very fast like within 1-2secs the whole electrical systems trips on and off

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 18wheeler: 7:32am On Sep 21, 2022
I’m planning to change tyres for my accord 2016 v6 sometime between October and November. The brands I see here are not trustworthy. Someone said I can go for Grade A tokunbo tyres of established brands which are not more than 2 years old. He means I can get 2020-2021 manufactured tyres of high quality. Can anyone confirm that for me because I think I will be more comfortable with a tokunbo Bridgestone than any of these china brands I see around here. Someone advise please. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 9:52am On Sep 21, 2022
Conner44:

Wow nice. I’ve never tried these total oils before.

But if I had 37k to spend on engine oil I’d have gotten mobil 1 instead so far it’s original. I trust their brand.

My mechanics are Syrians and they categorically advised me to stick to Total oils. According to them, 90% of Mobil and other imported foreign lubricants sold in the Nigerian open market are fake. These guys have been in the business for over two decades here in PH and they have no affiliation whatsoever to Total (at least to the best of my knowledge). Before now, it was Castrol 5W30 for my Toyota back to back for 7 years.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 9:55am On Sep 21, 2022
luvinhubby:

The cost of genuine 0W20 Ultimate(long life) full synthetic oil is N35,000 for gallon

I saw a lot of this in the market when I was looking around for oils but I didn’t trust the authenticity.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:59am On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

My mechanics are Syrians and they categorically advised me to stick to Total oils. According to them, 90% of Mobil and other imported foreign lubricants sold in the Nigerian open market are fake . These guys have been in the business for over two decades here in PH and they have no affiliation whatsoever to Total (at least to the best of my knowledge). Before now, it was Castrol 5W30 for my Toyota back to back for 7 years.

Ahh me i know fakes abound in the market these days. They fake these oils even from abroad and package them before exporting and It’s easier to distinguish the Nigerian fakes from the foreign ones. This unhealthy practice became rampant circa 4 years ago.

Now me I use the mobil semi synthetic for two oil changes and then use the full synthetic for one oil change. I keep cycling it like that so that the full synthetic can at least clean some crud in the engine once in a while. It helps my pocket and the engine in the long run.

Me I can’t come and kill myself oh grin

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 10:01am On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

My mechanics are Syrians and they categorically advised me to stick to Total oils. According to them, 90% of Mobil and other imported foreign lubricants sold in the Nigerian open market are fake. These guys have been in the business for over two decades here in PH and they have no affiliation whatsoever to Total (at least to the best of my knowledge). Before now, it was Castrol 5W30 for my Toyota back to back for 7 years.

And you trust those Syrians??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:02am On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

I saw a lot of this in the market when I was looking around for oils but I didn’t trust the authenticity.

It’s going to be very hard to produce fakes of the Honda genuine types of engine oils that luvinhubby stocks. The container/can design is niche/generic and not profitable to reproduce on a large scale unlike mobil oil cans that you can even pick on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GreekDon: 11:50am On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

Please what's the name of this Garage? You seem quite confident of them.( Hope it is not that Honda Place at Trans Amadi)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 12:15pm On Sep 21, 2022
GreekDon:

Please what's the name of this Garage? You seem quite confident of them.( Hope it is not that Honda Place at Trans Amadi)

Speed Autos. It’s just behind Cheers Bar and before the Redeemed Church on Abacha Road. Once you pass Enclave, it’s on the left.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 12:23pm On Sep 21, 2022
luvinhubby:

I am a newbie to this Honda business but when I was on Toyota, they never disappointed me plus the caliber of equipment in their garage and their technical know how shows they know what they are doing. So yeah, I do trust them.

I have been on NL since 2005 and I know you are one of the top Honda heads on this platform so I’d also take your word for it but where I reside, the fake lubricant business is like crack cocaine in Harlem back in the 70s. Every one is making a killing of it at the detriment of the consumers.

That said, give me a quote for the Honda oil plus filter and waybill to PH so I’ll get from you for my next service.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Hugoboi(m): 12:33pm On Sep 21, 2022
Conner44:

Ahh me i know fakes abound in the market these days. They fake these oils even from abroad and package them before exporting and It’s easier to distinguish the Nigerian fakes from the foreign ones. This unhealthy practice became rampant circa 4 years ago.

Now me I use the mobil semi synthetic for two oil changes and then use the full synthetic for one oil change. I keep cycling it like that so that the full synthetic can at least clean some crud in the engine once in a while. It helps my pocket and the engine in the long run.

Me I can’t come and kill myself oh grin

I try to stick to full synthetic to avoid stories that touch. I ran my 09 2AZ Camry from when I got it at 78k to 215k on full synthetic and the engine remained pristine and sludge free. The Honda came at 32k genuine miles so it’s full synthetic for me. Engine too cost, I can’t shout

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

I try to stick to full synthetic to avoid stories that touch. I ran my 09 2AZ Camry from when I got it at 78k to 215k on full synthetic and the engine remained pristine and sludge free. The Honda came at 32k genuine miles so it’s full synthetic for me. Engine too cost, I can’t shout

grin Oga your vehicle will love you for this. No need to shout at all at all wink

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2022
luvinhubby:

Bwahahahahaha grin grin
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:30pm On Sep 21, 2022
Hugoboi:

I am a newbie to this Honda business but when I was on Toyota, they never disappointed me plus the caliber of equipment in their garage and their technical know how shows they know what they are doing. So yeah, I do trust them.

I have been on NL since 2005 and I know you are one of the top Honda heads on this platform so I’d also take your word for it but where I reside, the fake lubricant business is like crack cocaine in Harlem back in the 70s. Every one is making a killing of it at the detriment of the consumers.

That said, give me a quote for the Honda oil plus filter and waybill to PH so I’ll get from you for my next service.

Call details on my signature
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mejai(m): 4:59pm On Sep 22, 2022
@Luvinhubby, please, what could make my gear to stall while in motion. If I slow down, acceleration will be slow and it won't engage unless I switch off the car and restart it. Also, the ignition switch is trying to act funny. At times to put in the key to start becomes hard.

Accord DC i4
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Functionoftime(m): 7:20pm On Sep 22, 2022
I want to change my civic 10 battery. Any recommendations?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by shuri: 7:26pm On Sep 23, 2022
luvinhubby:

Please how do I know if my rear Acura MDX shocks absorber is the one with the sensors? It is a 2007/08 Acura MDX!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sniperwolf(m): 11:36pm On Sep 23, 2022
shuri:

Please how do I know if my rear Acura MDX shocks absorber is the one with the sensors? It is a 2007/08 Acura MDX!

If you can change between Sports and Comfort mode, then you have the Active Damper System

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:06am On Sep 24, 2022
mejai:
@Luvinhubby, please, what could make my gear to stall while in motion. If I slow down, acceleration will be slow and it won't engage unless I switch off the car and restart it. Also, the ignition switch is trying to act funny. At times to put in the key to start becomes hard.

Accord DC i4

Not downshifting properly.
Anything between dirty fluids, bad shift sensor or burnt clutch fibre.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 3:54am On Sep 26, 2022
GreekDon:

I know paying 30k for the Mobil 1 hurts. But it's actually the better option. 20W50 is too heavy for the K24. You don't want to start dealing with failed VTC actuators.

If you don't suffer from Oil burns and blue smoke, please stick with original Mobil 1 5w20. You gonna enjoy that engine for a long time.

Thanks for your help. I'm suffering from oil burns despite using only Mobil 1 to service the car since I bought it late last year. I've only driven a little over 3000miles and the oil has gone really down and I'm beginning to worry. The car drives well,no smoke of any kind and fuel consumption is good and it hasn't overheated once. Everything is still in factory settings. What should I do about the oil burns?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by brosiye99(m): 7:13am On Sep 26, 2022
Wow! If it has really gone down at 3000 miles, that's not optimal. Usually, you must have at least one litre extra to top up probably at about 5-6K miles as no matter how pristine the engine is, there must be some oil shortage. However, your oil burn at 3000 miles may be because of the type of driving... frequently driving in traffic is a causative factor of oil shortage and also the way you drive...slow and gradual acceleration or mad Max driving are factors too.

agoodman:

Thanks for your help. I'm suffering from oil burns despite using only Mobil 1 to service the car since I bought it late last year. I've only driven a little over 3000miles and the oil has gone really down and I'm beginning to worry. The car drives well,no smoke of any kind and fuel consumption is good and it hasn't overheated once. Everything is still in factory settings. What should I do about the oil burns?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:50am On Sep 26, 2022
agoodman:

1. What type of car and what engine?

2. What is the mileage of the car presently?

3. Did you buy it as tokumbo or Nigeria used?

4. Have you personally stood behind the vehicle while it was being revved or driven to ascertain for sure that the engine burns oil?

5. Have you been able to bend down and look under your engine or on the ground for leaks?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 10:31am On Sep 26, 2022
Conner44:

4. Have you personally stood behind the vehicle while it was being revved or driven to ascertain for sure that the engine burns oil?

5. Have you been able to bend down and look under your engine or on the ground for leaks?

2008 Honda Accord 4 plugs

Bought tokumbo October last year and I've been servicing it with Mobil 1 5w-20

Mileage is 144000. The mileage it was at when I bought it was 132000.

The engine doesn't smoke so I don't know for sure if it burns oil and I've bent down,looked under the engine and there was no leak whatsoever.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 10:32am On Sep 26, 2022
Conner44:

2008 Honda Accord 4 plugs

Bought tokumbo October last year and I've been servicing it with Mobil 1 5w-20

Mileage is 144000. The mileage it was at when I bought it was 132000.

The engine doesn't smoke so I don't know for sure if it burns oil and I've bent down,looked under the engine and there was no leak whatsoever.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:58am On Sep 26, 2022
[quote author=agoodman post=117022205][/quote]

How many times in total have you serviced it with the mobil 1 5w20 since you got the vehicle? During the other times you changed the oil before you serviced it again did you notice this exact same type of oil consumption?

Have you checked your pcv valve? (It’s a switch with a black rubber pipe in plugged front of the engine behind your power steering pump)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by agoodman(m): 11:31am On Sep 26, 2022
Conner44:

How many times in total have you serviced it with the mobil 1 5w20 since you got the vehicle? During the other times you changed the oil before you serviced it again did you notice this exact same type of oil consumption?

Have you checked your pcv valve? (It’s a switch with a black rubber pipe in plugged front of the engine behind your power steering pump)

I've been servicing it in total since I got it and I've done that 4 times already. This is the first time I'm noticing this consumption. I've not checked the pcv valve but will check. What should I look out for in the pcv valve?

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: Toylove

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.