Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (898478 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by quam9997(m): 12:53am On Dec 15, 2022
kingreign:

Put car in Neutral and try to roll engine with a wrench/spanner, if it rolls fine, if it still doesn’t roll, remove belt and starter motor, roll again, and if it still doesn’t roll, Otilo!

The Rewire tried the first method but I wasn’t sure if he put it on neutral or not but the second one he only removed the belt but did not touch the starter.

In both cases it did not roll
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Igemburg(m): 3:07am On Dec 16, 2022
Good day guys

So I have this experience on my HONDA CIVIC 09
When I startup in the morning, it moves smoothly, when when the temperature rises to the optimal, it drags until I force pedal before it pick normal speed.

Scanned the vehicle but no error code, serviced the pump, nozzles, EGR, changed plug, serviced the gear solenoid still the same. Sometimes it even forces itself when changing gear( you will feel the hard shift and will shake the vehicle). Do you think my gear is bad or what?

Kindly help please.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 8:40pm On Dec 16, 2022
Igemburg:
Good day guys

So I have this experience on my HONDA CIVIC 09
When I startup in the morning, it moves smoothly, when when the temperature rises to the optimal, it drags until I force pedal before it pick normal speed.

Scanned the vehicle but no error code, serviced the pump, nozzles, EGR, changed plug, serviced the gear solenoid still the same. Sometimes it even forces itself when changing gear( you will feel the hard shift and will shake the vehicle). Do you think my gear is bad or what?

Kindly help please.

Check your air filter, check if your maf sensor is dirty and also check if your throttle body is dirty
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by MrBuzy: 10:40pm On Dec 16, 2022
Good day. Please how much is the gear box of Honda Odyssey 2002 model.

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by RuneKingThor: 8:28am On Dec 17, 2022
quam9997:

The Rewire tried the first method but I wasn’t sure if he put it on neutral or not but the second one he only removed the belt but did not touch the starter.

In both cases it did not roll

This is sounding like engine problem oo. shocked
Tell your rewire/mechanic to try the neutral method in your presence.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 8:39am On Dec 17, 2022
Good morning everyone, I noticed online that honda civic 2007 comes with 1.8L engine. But surprisingly the 2007 Honda civic Toks I bought few weeks ago comes with 2.0L. A Mechanic even said the engine is 2.4L EOD engine. I think this will affect my fuel consumption?

A friend of mine entered my car today, and by just looking at the steering he said the car is sport model. Could someone identify a sport car by just looking at its steering?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:31am On Dec 17, 2022
Lekan239:
Good morning everyone, I noticed online that honda civic 2007 comes with 1.8L engine. But surprisingly the 2007 Honda civic Toks I bought few weeks ago comes with 2.0L. A Mechanic even said the engine is 2.4L EOD engine. I think this will affect my fuel consumption?

A friend of mine entered my car today, and by just looking at the steering he said the car is sport model. Could someone identify a sport car by just looking at its steering?

If it’s an automatic gearbox it has then you’ve just bought a Frankenstein build (aka cut & join moto). All civic type SI and type R come with manual transmission from factory.

But why are you like this? undecided

Pictures of engine or steering you no post, and you’re asking us this kind of questions . . . why?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 234GT(m): 11:00am On Dec 17, 2022
My newly acquired evil spirit has this low tire pressure light on the dashboard on even after I guaged all 4 tires. The symbol is like a U with exclamation mark in the middle. How do I clear it please.

All other warning lights on the dashboard go off when the car is running. Only this one. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 11:04am On Dec 17, 2022
234GT:
My newly acquired evil spirit has this low tire pressure light on the dashboard on even after I guaged all 4 tires. The symbol is like a U with exclamation mark in the middle. How do I clear it please.

All other warning lights on the dashboard go off when the car is running. Only this one. Thanks

Congrats
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 3:42pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

If it’s an automatic gearbox it has then you’ve just bought a Frankenstein build (aka cut & join moto). All civic type SI and type R come with manual transmission from factory.

But why are you like this? undecided

Pictures of engine or steering you no post, and you’re asking us this kind of questions . . . why?
ok. On it. Honda civic 2007

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lekan239:
ok. On it. Honda civic 2007

Wow! You are one lucky bas*ard grin

What you have got there is a JDM (Japanese) built 2007 civic with the high powered K20A (2.0) i4 engine. It’s a 2 liter engine but spits the same power as the regular 2.4 liters engines in the eod and dc. They used an automatic transmission on it also for the Australian (NZ) market as well. The one built for the USDM (American) market was the civic SI and always came with the manual gearbox. Have you checked to see if the dashboard was converted from right hand to left hand drive?

That vehicle is awesome and highly sought after by Honda racing enthusiasts (especially if it had come with the manual transmission) but your automatic transmission is better suited for our climes.

If I were you I’d baby it very well, use only the recommended fluids and make sure there’s no engine malfunction lights on its dash. Purchase a lightweight scanner and don’t allow any yeye mechanic work on it anyhow. If you mess up and that engine spoils you will cry blood first angry before you start mixing different engines and transmission plus brainbox to get it back in shape or sell as scrap. I had that exact same engine in my vehicle before I converted it to the 2.4l type.

Enjoy your ride, it’s a unicorn wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 4:36pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

What you have got there is a JDM (Japanese) built 2007 civic with the high powered K20A (2.0) i4 engine. It’s a 2 liter engine but spits the same power as the regular 2.4 liters engines in the eod and dc. They used an automatic transmission on it also for the Australian (NZ) market as well. The one built for the USDM (American) market was the civic SI and always came with the manual gearbox. Have you checked to see if the dashboard was converted from right hand to left hand drive?

That vehicle is awesome and highly sought after by Honda racing enthusiasts (especially if it had come with the manual transmission) but your automatic transmission is better suited for our climes.

If I were you I’d baby it very well, use only the recommended fluids and make sure there’s no engine malfunction lights on its dash. Purchase a lightweight scanner and don’t allow any yeye mechanic work on it anyhow. If you mess up and that engine spoils you will cry blood first angry before you start mixing different engines and transmission plus brainbox to get it back in shape or sell as scrap. I had that exact same engine in my vehicle before I converted it to the 2.4l type.

I didn't even know bout the car until my brother make comment bout it yesterday. I started making research to learn more bout the car. Its my first car. I learn how to drive with it
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 5:00pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lekan239:
I didn't even know bout the car until my brother make comment bout it yesterday. I started making research to learn more bout the car. Its my first car. I learn how to drive with it

Was it purchased as tokumbo or 9ja used? Let me know so I can advise you properly in how to care for it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 5:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

Was it purchased as tokumbo or 9ja used? Let me know so I can advise you properly in how to care for it.
it was purchased tokunbo last month
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 5:11pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lekan239:
it was purchased tokunbo last month

Wonderful.

For engine oil make sure you use only good brands with the 5w30 weight. There is pricey but superb mobil1 or the regular black cover mobile 2000 in the market here. Anything else and your engine will depreciate faster than normal.

For transmission oil change use ATF-DW1 only. Anything else is to kpafuka the gearbox.

Your power steering oil should be clear (whitish looking) and not red like the ones we usually use here. Only use original Honda power steering fluid in your pump except your vehicle comes with the electronic steering system.

Most importantly buy a small Bluetooth or wired car scanner it is only for your own good.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 5:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

Wonderful.

For engine oil make sure you use only good brands with the 5w30 weight. There is pricey but superb mobil1 or the regular black cover mobile 2000 in the market here. Anything else and your engine will depreciate faster than normal.

For transmission oil change use ATF-DW1 only. Anything else is to kpafuka the gearbox.

Your power steering oil should be clear (whitish looking) and not red like the ones we usually use here. Only use original Honda power steering fluid in your pump except your vehicle comes with the electronic steering system.

Most importantly buy a small Bluetooth or wired car scanner it is only for your own good.
thanks I have screenshot this.

I haven't change the oil except break oil since I bought the car. What time frame should I be Changing the engine oil, power steering oil, transmission oil. Is it per month or per two month?

I have already the Bluetooth scanner, still learning how to use it. Will watch some videos on YouTube bout that.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dadabashua1(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

I swear down everything you said here is 100% spot on,he is a lucky dude,the ride is one of the most sought-after Japanese products and not much was made out there...chaiii I envy him cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 5:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lekan239:
thanks I have screenshot this.

I haven't change the oil except break oil since I bought the car. What time frame should I be Changing the engine oil, power steering oil, transmission oil. Is it per month or per two month?

I have already the Bluetooth scanner, still learning how to use it. Will watch some videos on YouTube bout that.

Good you have a scanner. Keep it safe.

If you’re using the regular mobil 2000 (black cover) sold in the Nigerian market you should change it out after every 3000 miles (4,500 kms) or every 6 months if you’ve not driven that far in that timeframe. If it’s the usa mobil1 I’d suggest you use it till 5000 miles (7000 kilometers) or after a year If you’ve not driven as far as the above mileage.

Leave in the power steering and gearbox oil for now until you can go to oyingbo and buy the replacement Honda power steering fluid and the original dw1 transmission fluid. First use the vehicle for some months and observe how it functions before you start changing the transmission or power steering fluid.

But seriously, keep that vehicle very functional. If there are 100 people with that 2007 civic in Nigeria the people who have the exact configuration of yours won’t be up to 5. It’s a very rare car you’ve got right there.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 6:14pm On Dec 17, 2022
Conner44:

Good you have a scanner. Keep it safe.

If you’re using the regular mobil 2000 (black cover) sold in the Nigerian market you should change it out after every 3000 miles (4,500 kms) or every 6 months if you’ve not driven that far in that timeframe. If it’s the usa mobil1 I’d suggest you use it till 5000 miles (7000 kilometers) or after a year If you’ve not driven as far as the above mileage.

Leave in the power steering and gearbox oil for now until you can go to oyingbo and buy the replacement Honda power steering fluid and the original dw1 transmission fluid. First use the vehicle for some months and observe how it functions before you start changing the transmission or power steering fluid.

But seriously, keep that vehicle very functional. If there are 100 people with that 2007 civic in Nigeria the people who have the exact configuration of yours won’t be up to 5. It’s a very rare car you’ve got right there.
6 month wow. I once used a ladies bike and I do change the oil every month.

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation. I really appreciate
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by MrBuzy: 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2022
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PresEmeka: 9:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
kingreign:

Put car in Neutral and try to roll engine with a wrench/spanner, if it rolls fine, if it still doesn’t roll, remove belt and starter motor, roll again, and if it still doesn’t roll, Otilo!

hello sir , is it adviseable to buy a nigerian used honda with fan connected directly
all the nigerian used i have come across have their fans connected directly
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 1:15am On Dec 18, 2022
Lekan239:

If you just purchased it and claim you learned with it then you should be very careful on the road and while you’re driving. Even with regular everyday driving it will still take at least 2 months to master the road and your new vehicle.

Concerning your vehicle, you see that your gear lever? don’t put it on the S mode unless you want to use the paddle shift buttons on your steering wheel . Seeing as you’re still a learner and you didn’t learn to use a manual gear you should forget about using the S for now and focus on your regular driving. Always use the D mode to drive. If you mistakenly put it on S and drive with it your engine or gearbox can get damaged.

Go and get that small white board with big red L boldly written on it for learner and put in your front and back. Don’t be ashamed to show other road users that you’re still learning, it will even make people give you chance on the road (ask experienced drivers and they will tell you)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PresEmeka: 2:56am On Dec 18, 2022
PresEmeka:

hello sir , is it adviseable to buy a nigerian used honda with fan connected directly

Conner44
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Chae: 5:50am On Dec 18, 2022
Guru, i neeed gud mecho that can replace my shaft oil seal, dis is d third tym i wil be replcing it, seems my mecho dont sabi work again o, so annoying, oil was just dropping even after changing d seal 3x. (honda civic 08)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:02am On Dec 18, 2022
PresEmeka:

You should check the engine properly before buying. For the fans to have been run directly it’s possible it’s overheated before and maybe had a head gasket job done.

Check for engine smoking, check for sludge and make sure the compression of the engine (engine power) is still within specifications.

The fans can be run back to factory by a good auto electrician.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:03am On Dec 18, 2022
Chae:
Guru, i neeed gud mecho that can replace my shaft oil seal, dis is d third tym i wil be replcing it, seems my mecho dont sabi work again o, so annoying, oil was just dropping even after changing d seal 3x. (honda civic 08)

Use another mechanic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by eddiense: 10:31am On Dec 18, 2022
Please my people. I want to find out where this hose connects to. The circled hose in the attached picture

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lekan239(m): 11:21am On Dec 18, 2022
Conner44:

If you just purchased it and claim you learned with it then you should be very careful on the road and while you’re driving. Even with regular everyday driving it will still take at least 2 months to master the road and your new vehicle.

Concerning your vehicle, you see that your gear lever? don’t put it on the S mode unless you want to use the paddle shift buttons on your steering wheel . Seeing as you’re still a learner and you didn’t learn to use a manual gear you should forget about using the S for now and focus on your regular driving. Always use the D mode to drive. If you mistakenly put it on S and drive with it your engine or gearbox can get damaged.

Go and get that small white board with big red L boldly written on it for learner and put in your front and back. Don’t be ashamed to show other road users that you’re still learning, it will even make people give you chance on the road (ask experienced drivers and they will tell you)
yeah. I have been riding with L for a month. I just removed it few days ago. I learnt driving with old age so I learnt and got familiar easily.

A cousin taught me how to use the paddle shift yesterday, but I won't be using it frequently.

There is this sound the car gives when accelerating. The sound those big racing car usually make. It make other drivers and user curious if they see its an Honda
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 11:56am On Dec 18, 2022
eddiense:
Please my people. I want to find out where this hose connects to. The circled hose in the attached picture

It either connects to the intake bypass thermal valve under the black plastic cover at the spot circled in BLUE OR it connects to that black pipe coming out the top side of your valve cover circled in YELLOW in the picture below.

Check which it is.

1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PresEmeka: 11:58am On Dec 18, 2022
Conner44:

You should check the engine properly before buying. For the fans to have been run directly it’s possible it’s overheated before and maybe had a head gasket job done.

Check for engine smoking, check for sludge and make sure the compression of the engine (engine power) is still within specifications.

The fans can be run back to factory by a good auto electrician.

GOOD MORNING SIR , i have gone from wanting a passat cc to almost getting a honda accord 2009
however my friend who happens to be a mechanic says hondas have bad engines and have a low resale value
the accord 08 -11 i have seen nigerian used are going for well above 2milion naira

please is this correct ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by spininaroundsun(m): 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2022
Dear gurus in the house.

I am interested in a naija used V4 2012 accord.

During a routine check of the car, I stuck my finger in the silencer and discovered a small black substance inside. However, black smoke does not appear to come out of the silencer when I press the throttle. Everything else appears to be fine.

I've attached the image and the dashboard.

Can you advise me on whether I should go ahead with the purchase?

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:05pm On Dec 18, 2022
PresEmeka:

GOOD MORNING SIR , i have gone from wanting a passat cc to almost getting a honda accord 2009
however my friend who happens to be a mechanic says hondas have bad engines and have a low resale value
the accord 08 -11 i have seen nigerian used are going for well above 2milion naira

please is this correct ?

Your friend is ignorant. Honda engines are bulletproof with the normal maintenance so far you purchased a good unit.

Concerning the low resale value it’s just the factors of demand and supply that came into play plus the herd mentality that they people have in these climes.

Honda vehicles are easier to understand and maintain than Volkswagen products of similar year and segment but buy whatever you would be proud of driving and not what other people tell you they like for themselves wink

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.