Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (385) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (895619 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:10pm On Dec 18, 2022
spininaroundsun:
Dear gurus in the house.

I am interested in a naija used V4 2012 accord.

During a routine check of the car, I stuck my finger in the silencer and discovered a small black substance inside . However, black smoke does not appear to come out of the silencer when I press the throttle. Everything else appears to be fine.

I've attached the image and the dashboard.

Can you advise me on whether I should go ahead with the purchase?

Erm . . . Are you sure the pictures you posted was from the same vehicle? undecided

After you put your fingers into the tail pipe and rubbed it in between your fingers did it feel oily or dry ?

If it felt dry then it’s okay and very normal as it’s just the byproduct of internal combustion BUT if it felt oily then it means the vehicle either has a bad PCV valve or it is burning oil.

From the look of things that engine’s combustion process seems sound to me. If you decide to purchase it then make sure you continue to use the same engine oil type that the previous owner uses.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Asquare84(m): 12:14pm On Dec 18, 2022
234GT:
My newly acquired evil spirit has this low tire pressure light on the dashboard on even after I guaged all 4 tires. The symbol is like a U with exclamation mark in the middle. How do I clear it please.

All other warning lights on the dashboard go off when the car is running. Only this one. Thanks

One of the tire sensor is missing. Doesn't mean much provided your tire is well gaged
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by spininaroundsun(m): 12:19pm On Dec 18, 2022
Conner44:

Erm . . . Are you sure the pictures you posted was from the same vehicle? undecided

After you put your fingers into the tail pipe and rubbed it in between your fingers did it feel oily or dry ?

If it felt dry then it’s okay and very normal as it’s just the byproduct of internal combustion BUT if it felt oily then it means the vehicle either has a bad PCV valve or it is burning oil.

From the look of things that engine’s combustion process seems sound to me. If you decide to purchase it then make sure you continue to use the same engine oil type that the previous owner uses.

Thanks boss.

That's me inside my own EOD after the inspection.

After I put my fingers into the tail pipe and rubbed it in between my fingers it felt dry and not oily.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2022
spininaroundsun:

Thanks boss.

After I put my fingers into the tail pipe and rubbed it in between my fingers it felt dry and not oily.
Then the engine seems fine. Inspect other areas of the vehicle as well.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by eddiense: 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2022
Conner44:

It either connects to the intake bypass thermal valve under the black plastic cover at the spot circled in BLUE OR it connects to that black pipe coming out the top side of your valve cover circled in YELLOW in the picture below.

Check which it is.

All the pipes in the circled colours are all connected. So I guess it's not there
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 234GT(m): 5:20pm On Dec 19, 2022
Asquare84:

One of the tire sensor is missing. Doesn't mean much provided your tire is well gaged
Thanks sir
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PresEmeka: 3:29am On Dec 20, 2022
Conner44:

Your friend is ignorant. Honda engines are bulletproof with the normal maintenance so far you purchased a good unit.

Concerning the low resale value it’s just the factors of demand and supply that came into play plus the herd mentality that they people have in these climes.

Honda vehicles are easier to understand and maintain than Volkswagen products of similar year and segment but buy whatever you would be proud of driving and not what other people tell you they like for themselves wink

thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PresEmeka: 3:30am On Dec 20, 2022
spininaroundsun:

Thanks boss.

how much are you getting it ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by BoyiBernard(m): 6:27pm On Dec 20, 2022
What if the oil life indicator get to 0% and the mileage is not up to 5000 or 1 year for mobil1? I use my car mostly short trips within the area and in a year i have done less than 4k miles but after about 6-7 months the oil life indicator is at 0%.

Conner44:

If you’re using the regular mobil 2000 (black cover) sold in the Nigerian market you should change it out after every 3000 miles (4,500 kms) or every 6 months if you’ve not driven that far in that timeframe. If it’s the usa mobil1 I’d suggest you use it till 5000 miles (7000 kilometers) or after a year If you’ve not driven as far as the above mileage.

Leave in the power steering and gearbox oil for now until you can go to oyingbo and buy the replacement Honda power steering fluid and the original dw1 transmission fluid. First use the vehicle for some months and observe how it functions before you start changing the transmission or power steering fluid.

But seriously, keep that vehicle very functional. If there are 100 people with that 2007 civic in Nigeria the people who have the exact configuration of yours won’t be up to 5. It’s a very rare car you’ve got right there.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 6:51pm On Dec 20, 2022
BoyiBernard:
What if the oil life indicator get to 0% and the mileage is not up to 5000 or 1 year for mobil1? I use my car mostly short trips within the area and in a year i have done less than 4k miles but after about 6-7 months the oil life indicator is at 0%.

Oil is usually changed on a TIME or MILEAGE basis. Some cars now come with oil life monitors which the users are supposed to follow. It is a rule of thumb that frequent ’short trippers’ like yourself need to change your oil more frequently than those who drive for longer or further hence your oil life getting to 0% when you’ve not driven far enough.

For conventional oil you either use it for 3000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first and for synthetic oil you either use it for 5000 miles or not longer than a year whichever comes first

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2022
BoyiBernard:

Replace the oil with quality fully synthetic oil
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mejai(m): 9:32pm On Dec 20, 2022
Conner44:

Oil is usually changed on a TIME or MILEAGE basis. Some cars now come with oil life monitors which the users are supposed to follow. It is a rule of thumb that frequent ’short trippers’ like yourself need to change your oil more frequently than those who drive for longer or further hence your oil life getting to 0% when you’ve not driven far enough.

For conventional oil you either use it for 3000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first and for synthetic oil you either use it for 5000 miles or not longer than a year whichever comes first

Collione:

Replace the oil with quality fully synthetic oil

Honda Accord especially with oil maintenance reminder will never let you enjoy those benefits of 5000, 7000 or 10,000 miles/km b4 oil change. Infact, the ones I know are just for 3000km and the oil life percent hits 0. Next thing is negative counting. I deliberately watched the negative counting in a DC got to almost -500% b4 I could change it. (I was topping oil cos it was consuming oil)

So if u buy the most expensive high mileage engine oil with approved rating, once it gets to 0%, u mind won't be at rest. But in other cars, u are sure of getting a good mileage.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2022
mejai:

Honda Accord especially with oil maintenance reminder will never let you enjoy those benefits of 5000, 7000 or 10,000 miles/km b4 oil change. Infact, the ones I know are just for 3000km and the oil life percent hits 0. Next thing is negative counting. I deliberately watched the negative counting in a DC got to almost -500% b4 I could change it. (I was topping oil cos it was consuming oil)

So if u buy the most expensive high mileage engine oil with approved rating, once it gets to 0%, u mind won't be at rest. But in other cars, u are sure of getting a good mileage.

All those pre 2011 Honda accords had their oil life monitoring set at a rather FIXED count (mainly determined by mileage, idle time) mostly because those vehicle’s engines didn’t specify the use of synthetic oil so the ECU is factory programmed to calculate its change interval as if you’re using conventional oil in your engine. Some vehicles of that era even allowed you the user to program how many miles you want to drive before the maintenance light comes up.

The newer accords that specify the use of synthetic oil have a rather DYNAMIC range for their oil life counter because they take data from more sensors in the ecu (ie. Heat, outside temperature, stop/starts, idle time etc.)

If I was using a vehicle with the earlier versions of the oil life monitoring and the light came on at 3000 miles, I’d reset the minder and continue using my oil and filter till the right mileage or time for a change arrives but only if the oil is synthetic
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 8:36am On Dec 21, 2022
mejai:

Where can this oil life be seen ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mejai(m): 9:54am On Dec 21, 2022
Sportwin:

Where can this oil life be seen ?
If u press the knob on the instrument cluster (speedometer control), u will see trip A, trip B and the next to show should be oil reminder.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by zarakikenpa(m): 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2022
Please recommend a good Honda mech within Kosofe/Shomolu Lagos.
My 08 accord vibrates a bit when accelerating. Took it to a mech, he said ball joints need changing; bought the pair. After changing on the driver side, he said the passenger side is still okay. Did alignment thereafter but still notice the vibration.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 3:24pm On Dec 21, 2022
zarakikenpa:
My 08 accord vibrates a bit when accelerating. Took it to a mech, he said ball joints need changing; bought the pair. After changing on the driver side, he said the passenger side is still okay. Did alignment thereafter but still notice the vibration.

Next place to check will be your CV joints aka Shafts. Left and right side.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2022
mejai:

If u press the knob on the instrument cluster (speedometer control), u will see trip A, trip B and the next to show should be oil reminder.

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
zarakikenpa:

Gazuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by tunnamaniah(m): 6:12pm On Dec 21, 2022
I have a 2008 Honda Accord, 4cl. I recently changed the radiator after the previous radiator was leaking seriously.

I noticed rising engine temperature when in traffic with ac on. I have taken it to the mechanic for inspection, the radiator and condenser fins have been flushed and the fans have been inspected, the water too. The car does not overheat at all when I'm moving fast.

Once I get into traffic for 15-30 minutes. The temperature gauge passes the half mark.

One of the mechanic believe it's a blown head gasket problem while the other mechanic is suggesting I change the radiator.

The current radiator in the car is a double cell eod radiatorand I have no thermostat. All the mechs are saying the radiator should work just fine.

I'm about to pour some money on purchasing a new radiator tomorrow. But I am not Soo sure that's the solution to the problem. I would appreciate response from the car gurus or anyone with similar experience
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by vivalavida(m): 10:01pm On Dec 21, 2022
zarakikenpa:

Alert me when you find a solution. I am facing same issue. I have done everything. It still persists. Have even changed hub. Four mechanics have checked my shaft and tie rod and ball joints and said they are OK. I have done three alignments. Done tyre rotation. Even bought a new tyre for the side I feel the vibration. Still it still happens.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 10:03pm On Dec 21, 2022
tunnamaniah:
I have a 2008 Honda Accord, 4cl. I recently changed the radiator after the previous radiator was leaking seriously.

I noticed rising engine temperature when in traffic with ac on. I have taken it to the mechanic for inspection, the radiator and condenser fins have been flushed and the fans have been inspected, the water too. The car does not overheat at all when I'm moving fast.

Once I get into traffic for 15-30 minutes. The temperature gauge passes the half mark.

One of the mechanic believe it's a blown head gasket problem while the other mechanic is suggesting I change the radiator.

The current radiator in the car is a double cell eod radiatorand I have no thermostat. All the mechs are saying the radiator should work just fine.

I'm about to pour some money on purchasing a new radiator tomorrow. But I am not Soo sure that's the solution to the problem. I would appreciate response from the car gurus or anyone with similar experience

Does the radiator fluid dry up?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by tunnamaniah(m): 5:34am On Dec 22, 2022
No it doesnt
Collione:

Does the radiator fluid dry up?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Collione: 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2022
tunnamaniah:
No it doesnt

And your mechanic is sure that the fans are running at the normal speed
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by markpenk: 3:30pm On Dec 22, 2022
Does the vibration feel like it's shaking from side to side between 20 and 40 mph but smoothens out afterward?

If yes, it's your shafts --specifically the inner shaft cup on the passenger side and/or driver's side. You should have one or both of them replaced.

You may also want to check the mid-shaft in the passenger side of the car (goes directly into the gear). If it has significant clearance or excessive play, you may want to replace that too.

Also @zarakikenpa

vivalavida:

Alert me when you find a solution. I am facing same issue. I have done everything. It still persists. Have even changed hub. Four mechanics have checked my shaft and tie rod and ball joints and said they are OK. I have done three alignments. Done tyre rotation. Even bought a new tyre for the side I feel the vibration. Still it still happens.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by vivalavida(m): 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2022
markpenk:
Does the vibration feel like it's shaking from side to side between 20 and 40 mph but smoothens out afterward?

If yes, it's your shafts --specifically the inner shaft cup on the passenger side and/or driver's side. You should have one or both of them replaced.

You may also want to check the mid-shaft in the passenger side of the car (goes directly into the gear). If it has significant clearance or excessive play, you may want to replace that too.

Also @zarakikenpa

Exactly. but the vibration is from the passengers side at that speed level you stated and later smoothens out. So what do i change? the full shaft or just the shaft cup?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sonssyo: 8:29pm On Dec 22, 2022
Please recommend engine oil for my Honda baby boy
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by duos: 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2022
tunnamaniah:

Check and change the radiator cap. You should be fine
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 12:20am On Dec 23, 2022
Good evening house
I just got a honda accord 2008 2.4
On receiving the car and driving
Just before I got home
I noticed the radiator place had a burst and mist or something like smoke pr boiking water vapor was coming our
So I packed and what I saw is the picture below

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Sportwin(m): 12:23am On Dec 23, 2022
After leaving it for a while
I then drove it home
Same thing

Also noticed the temperature rises quick even without driving

Just switch on the ignition and in a few the car temp rises

Then that misty stuff starts coming out

First honda car
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by berbs112(m): 2:45am On Dec 23, 2022
zarakikenpa:

I had similar issue in the past and did all that was listed here. The solution to mine was a change of brake pads and it solved the vibration. Get original brake pads.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by duos: 5:27am On Dec 23, 2022
Sportwin:
Good evening house
I just got a honda accord 2008 2.4
On receiving the car and driving
Just before I got home
I noticed the radiator place had a burst and mist or something like smoke pr boiking water vapor was coming our
So I packed and what I saw is the picture below

First, Look out the reason for overheating, like failed thermostat, or maybe your fan stopped working to avoid reoccurrence. In as much as you can replace that broken cover for a token, ask and verify well if the radiator is still working properly, if not buy a NEW radiator.

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.