Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London (18444 Views)

Madukar Orji Harassed At MMIA By DSS - Man Alleges / Sule Lamido Being Harassed By EFCC While Amaechi Walks Free! / APC Members Killed And Harassed In Rivers – Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by marocguy(m): 10:25am On Jul 22, 2012

Public angst against the London trip of wives of Oyo State legislators has spread to London, where irate indigenes of the state living in the British capital stormed the Custom House London hotel, where they were lodged, to protest their stay.

The 31 women, who were led by Speaker of the state’s House of Assembly, Jumoke Sumonu, were in London to attend a workshop on how to support their husbands for effective performance in their legislative duties.

The trip has generated public anger and criticisms, as it was funded with state funds, allegedly to the tune of N50 million, with stipends given to the women for shopping.

According to online media network, newsbreaknigeria, Oyo citizens resident in London, who got wind of the jamboree, staged a peaceful demonstration, vowing to occupy the venue until the women left town. They were said to have rained curses and abuses on the lawmakers and their spouses for allegedly wasting “the scarce resources of the state”.

Sumonu, who headed the delegation, was reported to have called in the London police when it became obvious the protesters were not ready to shift ground. The police, on arrival, appealed to the protesters to disperse. The protesters reportedly left the hotel after police persuasion.

Locally, there have been wide condemnations of the state government’s sponsorship of the programme, with the Zonal Publicity Secretary of the party, Kayode Babade, querying the constitutionality, justification and relevance of the trip .

The state’s PDP group through Dotun Oyelade also expressed misgivings over the trip “at a time thousands of indigenes have lost all they have and most structures in the state under severe stress”. The Speaker in an interview with yet another online journalist, Kola Ogundamisi, defended the training programme, which she admitted also had sight-seeing component during the weekend.

She described as false claims that the hotel was booked for 10 days, or that each room cost £100, adding that a room cost £75, while two women were paired in a room. Sumonu said no principal officer of the house was involved, while she was the only legislator on the trip. Dismissing criticisms, she said: “Oyo is not the only state doing this. Some other states had been around before.”

She said the various media attacks as well as invasion of the hotel by Oyo indigenes in London have made her apprehensive because the wives of the legislators were already jittery, just as many of them said they were no longer interested in the programme.

According to her, “everywhere in the world, leaders get paid from public funds; the only thing is to ensure that money is judiciously spent.” Asked whether it would not have been more judicious to hold the course in Nigeria, Sumonu brushed the suggestion aside, saying many Nigerians, especially those in Diaspora, like to run good things down

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/article/uk-trip-oyo-indigenes-london-harass-lawmakers%E2%80%99-wives
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by marocguy(m): 10:30am On Jul 22, 2012
I say a commendable one from oyo indigenes resident in london. If more nigerians can learn from them and make these thieves uncomfortable with our money and stop celebrating them.
Moderators,i hope this makes front page for all to read and learn.
Once again,kudos to the oyo london group for that timely one

27 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ochukoccna: 2:07pm On Jul 22, 2012
marocguy: I say a commendable one from oyo indigenes resident in london. If more nigerians can learn from them and make these thieves uncomfortable with our money and stop celebrating them.
I concur
Waste of public funds in funding jamborees
This is what Nairalanders ought to be doing instead of online tribal mauling &warfare

11 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Afam4eva(m): 3:28pm On Jul 22, 2012
This is highly commendable.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Mrchippychappy(m): 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
Good one.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
This people HªvΣ ₪O plans τ̅o stop disgracin us I̶̲̥̅̊n ∂α† london I̶̲̥̅̊n particular!

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
Nigerians in the Diaspora are playing their part. I wonder what the people at home are doing. Its time to hold these vagabonds accountable. I just cannot understand how this makes sense to anyone!! We need more protests of this sort AT HOME TOO!!

9 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by inspirenet: 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
marocguy: I say a commendable one from oyo indigenes resident in london. If more nigerians can learn from them and make these thieves uncomfortable with our money and stop celebrating them.

cheesy
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by qplus(m): 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
Will this trip make any change in d price of garri? If not, its a waste to d dumb brain dat put it together.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by zangality(m): 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2012
Am so happy to hear this...
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ifihearam: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2012
In asmuch as I agree with you,the pdp in the state has no right to condemn them becos they are worst.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
I wished they were stoned. She even has the audacity to say they went for an hotel room that cost 75pounds and its public funds well spent. Rubbish.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by tonyx4x44(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2012
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by niyiduke01(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2012
Nigeria can be describe as one big network for the unscrupulous politicians cos all the political parties are the same. I.e old wine in new bottles..I pity those people that fight each others in the name of parties supporters..Politicians in Nigeria packaged their lies under different numenclature in order to rob this great nation blind...So the likes of lagos busines school(pat utomis) and centre for management development,Shangisha which are nearby cannot train them?....I rest my case for now.

6 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ypzilanti: 3:40pm On Jul 22, 2012
Public angst against the London trip of wives of Oyo State legislators has spread to London, where irate indigenes of the state living in the British capital stormed the Custom House London hotel, where they were lodged, to protest their stay.

The 31 women, who were led by Speaker of the state’s House of Assembly, Jumoke Sumonu, were in London to attend a workshop on how to support their husbands for effective performance in their legislative duties.

The trip has generated public anger and criticisms, as it was funded with state funds, allegedly to the tune of N50 million, with stipends given to the women for shopping.

According to online media network, newsbreaknigeria, Oyo citizens resident in London, who got wind of the jamboree, staged a peaceful demonstration, vowing to occupy the venue until the women left town. They were said to have rained curses and abuses on the lawmakers and their spouses for allegedly wasting “the scarce resources of the state”.

Sumonu, who headed the delegation, was reported to have called in the London police when it became obvious the protesters were not ready to shift ground. The police, on arrival, appealed to the protesters to disperse. The protesters reportedly left the hotel after police persuasion.

Locally, there have been wide condemnations of the state government’s sponsorship of the programme, with the Zonal Publicity Secretary of the party, Kayode Babade, querying the constitutionality, justification and relevance of the trip .

The state’s PDP group through Dotun Oyelade also expressed misgivings over the trip “at a time thousands of indigenes have lost all they have and most structures in the state under severe stress”. The Speaker in an interview with yet another online journalist, Kola Ogundamisi, defended the training programme, which she admitted also had sight-seeing component during the weekend.

She described as false claims that the hotel was booked for 10 days, or that each room cost £100, adding that a room cost £75, while two women were paired in a room. Sumonu said no principal officer of the house was involved, while she was the only legislator on the trip. Dismissing criticisms, she said: “Oyo is not the only state doing this. Some other states had been around before.”

She said the various media attacks as well as invasion of the hotel by Oyo indigenes in London have made her apprehensive because the wives of the legislators were already jittery, just as many of them said they were no longer interested in the programme.

According to her, “everywhere in the world, leaders get paid from public funds; the only thing is to ensure that money is judiciously spent.” Asked whether it would not have been more judicious to hold the course in Nigeria, Sumonu brushed the suggestion aside, saying many Nigerians, especially those in Diaspora, like to run good things down
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ypzilanti: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
ypzilanti:

Justifying bad behaviour, by pointing out other peoples bad behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by rajiade: 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
“Oyo is not the only state doing
this. Some other states had been around
before.”

Is that an excuse to lavish public fund?

According to her, “everywhere in the world, leaders get paid from public funds; the only thing is to ensure that money is judiciously spent.” Asked whether it would not have been more judicious to hold the course in Nigeria,
Sumonu brushed the suggestion aside, saying many Nigerians, especially those in Diaspora, like to run good things down.

This woman deserves a dirty slap.

London Metropolitan Police should deport these senseless and good for nothing women ASAP!
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
How clueless can this lawmakers be.Training on how to support their husbands.This is not funny.Nice move by oyo indigenes in the diaspora.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
cheesy
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by vanstanzy(m): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2012
marocguy:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/article/uk-trip-oyo-indigenes-london-harass-lawmakers%E2%80%99-wives

Oyo state indigenes resident in london, i love u guys, more grease to ur elbows. Let these looters learn that they cant fool the people all the time.
Moderators, this is good music to my ears. Keep 'em coming.

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by passionate88: 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
ACN is working
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
''The 31 women, who were led by Speaker of the state’s House of Assembly, Jumoke Sumonu, were in London t[b]o attend a workshop on how to support their husbands for effective performance in their legislative duties.[/b]''

We have serious problems if we also need the whites to teach our women how to support their husbands.

In fact we've lost our minds, and all dignity and sense of shame. Colonialism has rendered us mad.

What next? We attend workshop in London to teach us how to wipe our asses after shiitting??
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Acidosis(m): 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
good
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Jettage: 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
http://akinbami..com/2012/07/a-shrine-type-curse-from-oyo-speaker.html

The twitter handle was agog yesterday, because of the reactions of Monsurat Jumoke Sunmonu of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, I had no prior knowledge of her personality until my phone beeped out battery life from reaction on Twitter, I heard that the Politician rained curse on all who dared to dig into allegations of a scam. she was said to have reacted like a shrine worshipper with a curse saying 'I invoke God's Curse on those writing false reports about me on fb & other blogs. Whoa! If there is a false report indeed, It is just a matter of time, Nigerians home and abroad will dig it out. Epele o, Mrs Sumonu.

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Super1759: 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
Seriously,this woman gat guts,so she isn't ashamed that she left her mother's house and married someone after years now went to learn how to cook for the husband(for get cover-up grammer)..hmm I wonder if oyibo are now expert in cooking amala.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by jude33084(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
she said: “Oyo is not the only state doing this. Some other states had been around before.

So if other states are misusing public fund, must Oyo state join them in τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ act? Just asking τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ madam undecided
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by EmmyBoy2(m): 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2012
They shld be welcomed @ d airport here with more protests and embarrassment.

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by vanstanzy(m): 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2012
ochukoccna:
I concur
Waste of public funds in funding jamborees
This is what Nairalanders ought to be doing instead of online tribal mauling &warfare
No mind those women, na white co/ck them find go london. Train on how to assist their husbands in governance, my foot. I bet they were overjoyed to learn they were travelling to london. That would provide 'em enof opportunity to stash theirs' and their husbands stolen public funds.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2012
These politicians and their wives just loose their correct thinking faculty once they assume office. I can't believe what that lady is saying!! How ridiculous.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by JideTheBlogger(m): 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2012
Might be a PDP arrangement.. Mtchew**
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by seunlayi(m): 4:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
At last, another good move from those Londoners from Oyo state. Despite d poor performance of this politicians, they still remember to go to London to waste the funds they claim are not available. What a disgrace.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by itsme2(m): 4:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mehn! Ds news don make my day baje baje! Yeye people!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Eid-El-Kabir: FG Declares Friday & Monday As Public Holidays / Judge Refuses To Give Judgement In Case Between Cecilia Adams And Ayade / House Of Rep Summons Fashola Over Epileptic Power Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.