Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London (18441 Views)

Madukar Orji Harassed At MMIA By DSS - Man Alleges / Sule Lamido Being Harassed By EFCC While Amaechi Walks Free! / APC Members Killed And Harassed In Rivers – Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Reference(m): 5:12pm On Jul 22, 2012
NovusHomo: Those of us who are members of the Nigerian diaspora are mostly surprised at how compliant people are at home. You do not ask for an account of how government revenues are spent; you do not demand for hospitals, roads, electricity, new school buildings (or at the least, rehabilitation of the old), no water, and the list goes on and on. Billions of $s are stolen everyday and not a sound is made by you, Its unbelievable! What kills me is that you ask us to give you money: the children are sick, you call us; school fees, you call us, some would even ask you to help their son who is getting married, regardless that he has no job. Somehow you still build houses and you ask us to help with the gate or something else, yet you don't think we need to do the same for ourselves. Its about time people stood up for their rights. I have a suggestion, why dont you give these legislator's wives a "rousing" welcome reception at Murtala Mohammed Airport. How about protesting in front of the Oyo Assemby? But then you wont so long as there is Western Union. Guess what? That is about to stop because we are so fed up with your lack of interest in calling your rulers to order only to have us refund your money that they keep stealing. For in essence that is what you make us do.

Its different here. Over there the police will calmly usher you away. Back home you can just imagine what the police will do to you thoughtless of party sponsored thugs. Remember the Lekki tollgate protest.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
U see the thng, everybody s greedy n nigeria, men, women, children and everybody. Y cant they just go and learn wateva in Calabar or Sokoto in order to foster greater unity of Nigeria! That makes better sense but less money. This trip must be the brainwork of widemouthed Madam speaker, u know, a greed that Nigerian men know, their women know better grin
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by NovusHomo(m): 5:15pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ROSSIKE.

IS this a surprise Internet warrior? So you go to Japan and London on visit. I guess the wives of the legislators could be counted among you. So if every Nigerian is comfortable with the situation in Nigeria, why put pressure on your family members both inside and outside of the country while you watch as your political leaders steal your commonwealth(joint property). You are probably one of the lucky ones. If so, you must have come under some pressure for some economic assistance. If so, don't you ever wonder when it is going to end? Don't you think the quality of your life will be better without the hassle? But it won't be because you will always miss the point while your leaders are taking your life from you 1 stolen $ at a time. This might help to educate you:

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/570425608/timeline/story?ut=2&hash=-4976681384812988621&wstart=1341126000&wend=1343804399&__user=770208844

So if every Nigerian is comfortable with the situation in Nigeria, why put pressure on your family members in the diaspora while you watch as your political leaders steal your commonwealth (joint property). By the way, can we be polite if that is not too much to ask?

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ayox2003: 5:18pm On Jul 22, 2012
naijaforlife: Na today! even wives of local government councillors in Lagos, yes Lagos, just returned from similar trip to South Africa. Mtcheeew

Its seems this the latest trend now. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Money for rehabilitation don vanish for SA. cheesy cheesy cheesy. Meanwhile people dey suffer for Makoko. cry cry

Frawzey.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Haryoryhemie(f): 5:19pm On Jul 22, 2012
Infact those women were suppose to be flog with cain, so that wen there husband see them they wil ......
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
NovusHomo: @ROSSIKE.

IS this a surprise Internet warrior? So you go to Japan and London on visit.

Who said anything about ''going to Japan and London on visit''. You even lack basic comprehension yet you're lecturing others. Pathetic.

I guess the wives of the legislators could be counted among you. So if every Nigerian is comfortable with the situation in Nigeria, why put pressure on your family members both inside and outside of the country while you watch as your political leaders steal your commonwealth

Sorry I've no clue what the hell you're talking about. Why don't you return to secondary school, or even primary school, and learn basic comprehension before contributing to a thread such as this?? And next time cut out your pompous, ignorant, patronising foolishness.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by aljharem(m): 5:21pm On Jul 22, 2012
gooood !!!
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by adconline(m): 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2012
Just shows that there is no difference between PDP and ACN. Corruption is the only union that bonds together.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by NovusHomo(m): 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
isuomo: This Oyo Speaker worked for so many years in the Home Office in UK rising to become a senior manager, she lived in London for over 25years her children are all in London this puts a lie to the thinking that only diaspora Nigerians can save Nigeria. I spoke with the Chief of Staff to Oyo State governor on Friday and he said the governor is hopping mad with anger 'cos this trip was arranged without the knowledge of the executive he was of the opinion that they cleverly avoided Ajimobi because he would have kicked against the trip big time.

You might want to read this:

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/570425608/timeline/story?ut=2&hash=-4976681384812988621&wstart=1341126000&wend=1343804399&__user=770208844

By the way, no one said only diasporans could save Nigeria and Nigerians. Why, there is foreign and loans of various types, not to mention charitable organizations. but how much of these actually get to the poor and the needy. These are people I refer to, not to the "working class". Its a simple call to action. As usual, some won't get it.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by donlemson(m): 5:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
dis can on hapen in nija
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by isuomo: 5:31pm On Jul 22, 2012
I am not defending anybody here o, but i am told the executive was kept in the dark regarding the trip how far that is true me i don't know but the COS to the governor who is a personal friend Dr. Adeolu Akande said as much. If it is the Ajimobi i know, i will be surprised if he approved this trip it is tantamount to a Damascus conversion. The man is averse to spending money whether his or govts.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by IYANGBALI: 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
pls in what country is diaspora?i which to migrate to the country.

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Oluabayomi1(m): 5:34pm On Jul 22, 2012
It might be that 80% or more of the legislator's wives have neva been to London and feel it's high time they went. Mrs J Sumonu must be out of her senses if it's true that she rained curses on some social media user like FB e.t.c
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Teoluxfabs: 5:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
BUNCH of(shameless) WHORES,nd THIEFS.........ought to hav bin beaten.....
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by ayox2003: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
isuomo: I am not defending anybody here o, but i am told the executive was kept in the dark regarding the trip how far that is true me i don't know but the COS to the governor who is a personal friend Dr. Adeolu Akande said as much. If it is the Ajimobi i know, i will be surprised if he approved this trip it is tantamount to a Damascus conversion. The man is averse to spending money whether his or govts.

I can relate to that! He's a shrewd fella!

But how will the speaker leave this country for days without the knowledge/permission of the Governor? Haba!

Akande wants to wash the govts hand off the matter when it finally blew way out of proportion!

Them be thieves!

Frawzey.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by seunlayi(m): 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
Please, nobody should come here to put up any useless defence of the Gov. How can u explain to a primary school pupil in Oyo state that wives of the 30+ house member left Ibadan for London and the Governor did not know about it? Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by olapluto(m): 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2012
Like I said earlier, IF this trip was approved by Ajimobi, then that is his downfall. Civil servants in the state deserve to go on strike for this. He halted their salary increase and promised a prudent governance. Is this how prudence is defined? Take from the poor and sponsor the wives of friends on international trip?
Even more insulting is the title, aims and supposed objectives of the training. A look at the picture showed some of the training topics; British Etiquette was one of them! I will wait for the governor's response before further comment.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by MT: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2012
There is no doubt,this is the beginning of the end of ACN in Oyo state. I might not be able to protest in Nigeria due to my fear of being shot but I have sent a strongly-worded mail to the UK embassy in Nigeria on this fraud. I have also encouraged many of my friends to do the same.

I also indicated the link to this nairaland page so that they can see the reactions of the people to this trip. This is the least I felt I could do in this regard for my state and I encourage others to create ways of putting pressure on these shameless politicians.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2012
It's a shame.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by andyanders: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2012
Many people lost their homes and idd-iots in government house now organize what I can call fun trip to pay back those harl-ots they call wives in government houses. These government officials should be stoned. Look at the way people died as a result of erosion. Instead of the channel this money to better the lives of these less privileged, they went for fun. One day, they will die a like chicken.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2012
mekaboy: THE LAST MAN WHO CONDUCTED A PROTEST IN NIGERIA , WAS SHOT IN THE STOMACH. CHECK THE FROM PAGE FOR DETAILS grin grin grin

SamAfrik: The only thing restricting those @ home is their safety.
Protests like that could bring hail of bullets & tear gas frm our poverty ridden police.
Politicians wil alwys blame d opposition for such protests unlike d devpd nations.

Lmao. Once the women get to naija, na police with AK47 protection.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by gulfer: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
ypzilanti:

Justifying bad behaviour, by pointing out other peoples bad behaviour.
He is a fool, Simple. The money voted for this will repair the bridge that was damaged by flood.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by poj(m): 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2012
This is sickening, we must begin to practicalise our asseriveness as a people. These pple are unwittingly attracting curses on themselves by the way they govern us. Just imagine, majority of graduates and over graduates cannot afford 3 square of meals yet madam speaker is funding jamboree. We will wake up one of these days against all these i surely belief.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
LOL Somborri plz tell me this thread is a joke cheesy
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by isholabode: 6:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
Abeg, when all dis yanma yanma go stop sef? Too much rotten news. Wife of Presido becomes permanent secretary of her state. Now, legis-looters wives go on London jamboree to learn how to legis-loot and support their husbands@ N50m cost.Haba!!! Naija we hail thee! Shiooooor
embarassed shocked
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by juman(m): 6:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
The trip has generated public anger and criticisms, as it was funded with state funds, allegedly to the tune of N50 million, with stipends given to the women for shopping.

They just wasted N50 million like that! Unfortunate!

They spent like that because the money came freely from oil money, they didn't work for it.

One nigeria is our problem. Useless people.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
ypzilanti:

Public angst against the London trip of wives of Oyo State legislators has spread to London, where irate indigenes of the state living in the British capital stormed the Custom House London hotel, where they were lodged, to protest their stay.

The 31 women, who were led by Speaker of the state’s House of Assembly, Jumoke Sumonu, were in London to attend a workshop on how to support their husbands for effective performance in their legislative duties.

The trip has generated public anger and criticisms, as it was funded with state funds, allegedly to the tune of N50 million, with stipends given to the women for shopping.

According to online media network, newsbreaknigeria, Oyo citizens resident in London, who got wind of the jamboree, staged a peaceful demonstration, vowing to occupy the venue until the women left town. They were said to have rained curses and abuses on the lawmakers and their spouses for allegedly wasting “the scarce resources of the state”.

Sumonu, who headed the delegation, was reported to have called in the London police when it became obvious the protesters were not ready to shift ground. The police, on arrival, appealed to the protesters to disperse. The protesters reportedly left the hotel after police persuasion.

Locally, there have been wide condemnations of the state government’s sponsorship of the programme, with the Zonal Publicity Secretary of the party, Kayode Babade, querying the constitutionality, justification and relevance of the trip .

The state’s PDP group through Dotun Oyelade also expressed misgivings over the trip “at a time thousands of indigenes have lost all they have and most structures in the state under severe stress”. The Speaker in an interview with yet another online journalist, Kola Ogundamisi, defended the training programme, which she admitted also had sight-seeing component during the weekend.

She described as false claims that the hotel was booked for 10 days, or that each room cost £100, adding that a room cost £75, while two women were paired in a room. Sumonu said no principal officer of the house was involved, while she was the only legislator on the trip. Dismissing criticisms, she said: “Oyo is not the only state doing this. Some other states had been around before.”

She said the various media attacks as well as invasion of the hotel by Oyo indigenes in London have made her apprehensive because the wives of the legislators were already jittery, just as many of them said they were no longer interested in the programme.

According to her, “everywhere in the world, leaders get paid from public funds; the only thing is to ensure that [size=16pt]money is judiciously spent[/size].” Asked whether it would not have been more judicious to hold the course in Nigeria, Sumonu brushed the suggestion aside, saying many Nigerians, especially those in Diaspora, like to run good things down

This woman no dey shame. Imagine the bolded
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Abrantie: 7:02pm On Jul 22, 2012
Oh Nigeria! You are so divided. Why does it have to be ONLY the Oyo state indigenes who went to protest? Why couldn't it be ALL NIGERIANS?
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by rajiade: 7:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
Abrantie: Oh Nigeria! You are so divided. Why does it have to be ONLY the Oyo state indigenes who went to protest? Why couldn't it be ALL NIGERIANS?

The big Q?
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by chris51(f): 7:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kudos to Oyo indegenes in London. I bet you, many of those legislators' wives cannot speak simple correct English. How would they follow the program? Our money should be put to better use.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers' Wives Harassed In London by Ezichimdon: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
Everybody prays to get to d house where u 'll be paid wardrope and party allowancesEverybody prays to get to d house where u 'll be paid wardrope and party allowancesEverybody prays to get to d house where u 'll be paid wardrope and party allowances

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Protesters Block EFCC Office, Want Lamorde Sacked / Buhari Weighs Options On Incoming Cabinet / Edo Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.