Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,432 members, 7,836,732 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 (8996 Views)

Poll: Your ipinion?

I support this.: 38% (10 votes)
I don't support this.: 61% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos From FUTO Convocation As Okorocha Bags Doctorate Degree / Students: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree By XFIRE / 10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 9:30pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

so lets wait till we have light and all amenities before having educational standards.

mental laziness. Suspend all activity and improvements till its all perfect! angry

abeg Richy tell her, some people will wait forever to make improvements.

The truth is, majority of the lecturers, at least in the Federal Universities are qualified, the lazy ones who don't want to comply are the ones who will make all the noise.

Which kind of PhD are you going to study in Nigeria with the kind of educational system you have now over there for crying out loud?  Like I said it is not a matter of laziness--some just cannot afford to do so at this time and they should not be penalized. 

You have to make lots of sacrifices to go through with this programme.  Most are married and are sole breadwinners of their homes.  This PhD mess if for old folks.  When I hear 25 year olds getting Phds I just shake my head and laugh.  That is something you want to do when you have the time and concentration to do so--not when you should be making babies and enjoying your family life!  All we are going to end up with is a bunch of juvenile PhD holders with wasted years and nothing to show for it.

Lecture for like 20 years then go into this PhD nonsense when you are tired of moving around! cheesy If they do not want to go further, fine.  Just leave them where they are and let those who want to go forward.  Let them continue to do what they are doing.  If they are not going to be promoted, do not demote them either!  Simple!  Is it easy?

Biology 100 or English 100 do not change much.  Which kind of PhD do you need to keep lecturing those for 20 years? shocked  Did you write the books?  Even after the so-called PhD, you will still end up copy-righting others.  So what the heck? tongue
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2007
almondjoy:

That is America!  They took their time to get things to that level.  They provided their lecturers with the best of the best to make sure they "grew" in their field.  They have light and water oh!  Research facilities and were compensated while they did all these.    In Nigeria what are you up against?  Yes, there are standards in America.  But it is not at gun point and the atmosphere is conducive for meeting such standards.  They do not make it stressful to accomplish those goals.

All these ones you guys are making noise here, who will feed these guys families while the lecturers are in some cave battling this Ph.D mess?  Is it that easy to live what you are doing and devote all your time to this rigorous studies without your wife or husband divorcing you for neglecting your home or being deficient in your financial responsiblities?  What are the incentives and what kinds of "grants" and "scholarships" are available to make this process as stress free as possible.

I have a cousin who has to do this Phd thing and has been seperated from her family for almost 2 years now.  She only sees them once or twice a year since she opted to do this PhD mess out of the country.  At the end is it really worth it?

I also see that as a problem. We are trying to get  to the same place the rest of the civilized world are now, in 2 minutes. The Law, like I said earlier has been in place for almost 20 years but during that same time, resources for those who decided to go the PhD route has been seriously limited. Questions I do have for the NUC are these

1) What does demotion really mean?? That those affected would no longer be able to continue their jobs as is now??

2) If this be the case, does the country/will the country have enough PhD holders by 2009 to take over??

3) Is there any emphasis being placed on the Quality of the PhD at least??
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by debosky(m): 9:39pm On Dec 14, 2007
It is not simple, neither is it easy.

There is a statute that has been on the books since 1989, we do not need 100,000 professors if half of them do not meet the standard, lets keep the good and get rid of those not ready to comply.

THIS IS NOT A NEW DIRECTIVE! OVer 20 years and no compliance? How long do we keep waiting?

It should not be optional, because if you know anything about Nigerian Inertia, people do not act unless pushed, they consider the jobs like government jobs from which they cannot be sacked, they need to improve themselves or get kicked out. Let us know where we truly stand as to our educational manpower instead of having a bunch of unserious people masquerading as academics.

We might as well cancel all the other educational programs since you wonder what kind of PhD we are going to study. If you cannot afford to do it, GO and do something else. Universities are not Charities to cater to misfits

If you cannot count money, dont aspire to be a cashier simple! Meet the requirements for the job or LEAVE. I'm sure thats how it works where you are employed Almond, you are not allowed to just 'be wherever you want'

Resources limitation is not the issue, it has been a case of lowering of standards, we don't need people managing, or just getting by, meet the standard sor get out. If you are not ready to pay the price DO NOT GO INTO IT!

I repeat, this is a calling, even going to school for BSC is stress, so all these arguments are moot.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by RichyBlacK(m): 9:39pm On Dec 14, 2007
almondjoy:

That is America! They took their time to get things to that level. They provided their lecturers with the best of the best to make sure they "grew" in their field. They have light and water oh! Research facilities and were compensated while they did all these. In Nigeria what are you up against? Yes, there are standards in America. But it is not at gun point and the atmosphere is conducive for meeting such standards. They do not make it stressful to accomplish those goals.

All these ones you guys are making noise here, who will feed these guys families while the lecturers are in some cave battling this Ph.D mess? Is it that easy to live what you are doing and devote all your time to this rigorous studies without your wife or husband divorcing you for neglecting your home or being deficient in your financial responsiblities? What are the incentives and what kinds of "grants" and "scholarships" are available to make this process as stress free as possible.

I have a cousin who has to do this Phd thing and has been seperated from her family for almost 2 years now. She only sees them once or twice a year since she opted to do this PhD mess out of the country. At the end is it really worth it?

You're focusing too much on the materialistic aspects. With change sometimes comes pain. It will be painful but we need standards.

In America, you don't seem to appreciate that universities were not always like it is today. The universities were initially sponsored by the various churches/denominations they were affiliated with. The government came in much later. Then, the attraction to the universities was not the facilities, but the need to engage in intellectual discourse and to find solutions to problems that defied half-hearted attempts at solving them. The libraries developed gradually from contributions by individuals, gifts from the churches and from wealthy individuals. It was not the case that the government built all and then invited people to come in. So, Nigerians have to make sacrifices, contributions and show interest in our universities, if we want them to survive.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 9:49pm On Dec 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I also see that as a problem. We are trying to get to the same place the rest of the civilized world are now, in 2 minutes. The Law, like I said earlier has been in place for almost 20 years but during that same time, resources for those who decided to go the PhD route has been seriously limited.

That is exactly my problem.  They want to get things done but have not mechanism to help you achieve these things. Like the government will feed your families while you are in school for the next 3-5 years.  I am all for the lecturers improving the art of lecturing.  Research part of academics is optional.  There should be incentives to get you there not as a means of punishment.  How many can afford these programmes in Nigeria if I may ask?  Even if na beans?

debosky:

It is not simple, neither is it easy.

There is a statute that has been on the books since 1989, we do not need 100,000 professors if half of them do not meet the standard, lets keep the good and get rid of those not ready to comply.

THIS IS NOT A NEW DIRECTIVE! OVer 20 years and no compliance? How long do we keep waiting?

It should not be optional, because if you know anything about Nigerian Inertia, people do not act unless pushed, they consider the jobs like government jobs from which they cannot be sacked, they need to improve themselves or get kicked out. Let us know where we truly stand as to our educational manpower instead of having a bunch of unserious people masquerading as academics.

We might as well cancel all the other educational programs since you wonder what kind of PhD we are going to study. If you cannot afford to do it, GO and do something else. Universities are not Charities to cater to misfits

If you cannot count money, don't aspire to be a cashier simple! Meet the requirements for the job or LEAVE. I'm sure thats how it works where you are employed Almond, you are not allowed to just 'be wherever you want'

Resources limitation is not the issue, it has been a case of lowering of standards, we don't need people managing, or just getting by, meet the standard sor get out. If you are not ready to pay the price DO NOT GO INTO IT!

I repeat, this is a calling, even going to school for BSC is stress, so all these arguments are moot.

And I say the "statute" is not feasible.  How many can afford this programme?  In 20 years most of these lecturers' standards of living have diminished considerably. Most do not even own cars and are still renting homes. 20 years ago would have been more condusive to accquiring this kind of mess. Now in 2008?  When things have gotten considerably worse? undecided  Please get real for once! After making these lecturers go through this whole thing, then you will relegate them to offices without airconditioning or even a toilet in their offices. Worse of all, to keep teaching in Jakande classrooms of universities. Let me tell you something. After most of them finish--you have only succeeded in making it easier for them to leave the country and to teach in other countries. What are you left with?---Back to square one! So Enjoy. I would be mad to go through all that and come back to Nigeria to teach whom or to research what? shocked I say you are not serious! Go and ask Chinua Achebe--RIP or others who fled the country after the Phd haitus!

RichyBlacK:

You're focusing too much on the materialistic aspects. With change sometimes comes pain. It will be painful but we need standards.

In America, you don't seem to appreciate that universities were not always like it is today. The universities were initially sponsored by the various churches/denominations they were affiliated with. The government came in much later. Then, the attraction to the universities was not the facilities, but the need to engage in intellectual discourse and to find solutions to problems that defied half-hearted attempts at solving them.

The libraries developed gradually from contributions by individuals, gifts from the churches and from wealthy individuals. It was not the case that the government built all and then invited people to come in. So, Nigerians have to make sacrifices, contributions and show interest in our universities, if we want them to survive.

You are joking right? Don't you have IBB, Dangote and Adeboye in Nigeria?  What stopped them from contributing over the past 20 years to make sure Nigeria is catching up with the rest of the world?  Please don't even go there!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 9:54pm On Dec 14, 2007
almondjoy:

That is exactly my problem.  They want to get things done but have not mechanism to help you achieve these things. Like the government will feed your families while you are in school for the next 3-5 years.  I am all for the lecturers improving the art of lecturing.  Research part of academics is optional.  There should be incentives to get you there not as a means of punishment.  How many can afford these programmes in Nigeria if I may ask?  Even if na beans?

And I say the "statute" is not feasible.  How many can afford this programme?  In 20 years most of these lecturers' standards of living have diminished considerably. Most do not even own cars and are still renting homes. 20 years ago would have been more condusive to accquiring this kind of mess. Now in 2008?  When things have gotten considerably worse? undecided Please get real for once!

You are joking right? Don't you have IBB, Dangote and Adeboye in Nigeria?  What stopped them from contributing over the past 20 years to make sure Nigeria is catching up with the rest of the world?  Please don't even go there!

That was good!!!! LMAO!!!!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by debosky(m): 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2007
your argument is moot Almond

Some of these 'suffering lecturers' have PhD's why should their compatriots not get the same qualification and earn the same pay?

You are allowed to disagree with the statute, so are the lecturers. If you don't agree with the contract of employment, LEAVE!!

IT IS NOT BY FORCE! I am being very real my dear, anyone who bothered to get into academics must seriously pursue the right qualifications, even people working low level jobs sacrifice to go to night school, do certification exams and all to get ahead in their professions, but the lecturers supposed to train our future generations should be allowed to just get by and manage?

I reject that notion in its entirety! angry

No one is saying this is a cakewalk, but it is a NECESSARY change.

Speaking of the Adeboye's, they are building their institutions, Bowen University, Ajayi Crowther Uni, Covenant Uni, and a host of others who will be in the forefront in the coming future.

Standards need to be enforced. Their salaries have gone up more than 300% since Obj came in, things have improved somewhat in that area, it is only fair that the lecturers sit up and begin to improve as well. Things may not be perfect for the lecturers, but they aren't for the rest of the country or for individuals struggling to improve themselves, Let everyone strive.

If you do not meet the set criteria QUIT
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

Some of these 'suffering lecturers' have PhD's why should their compatriots not get the same qualification and earn the same pay?

You are allowed to disagree with the statute, so are the lecturers. If you don't agree with the contract of employment, LEAVE!!

IT IS NOT BY FORCE! I am being very real my dear, anyone who bothered to get into academics must seriously pursue the right qualifications, even people working low level jobs sacrifice to go to night school, do certification exams and all to get ahead in their professions, but the lecturers supposed to train our future generations should be allowed to just get by and manage?

Speaking of the Adeboye's, they are building their institutions, Bowen University, Ajayi Crowther Uni, Covenant Uni, and a host of others who will be in the forefront in the coming future.

Standards need to be enforced. Their salaries have gone up more than 300% since Obj came in, things have improved somewhat in that area, it is only fair that the lecturers sit up and begin to improve as well. Things may not be perfect for the lecturers, but they aren't for the rest of the country or for individuals struggling to improve themselves, Let everyone strive.

Sorry.  You do not have the power to do that quitting crap!  Like I said, as soon as I get that PhD nonsense that I can never use in Nigeria--"Andrew" is checking the hell out of Nigeria!!!  You are still going to be left with those lazy lecturers you want to reject.  So get real I say.  I cannot imagine getting a PhD in Nigeria and sitting my arse there in some ditch of an environment that will rob me of all I have learned.

Why do you think the non-compliant rate of this bogus decree that has been in existence almost 20 years is still an issue? Most of your gaddem PhD holders are out of the country! He he he he he he he grin cheesy grin cheesy grin While you are stewing in this juice, more are checking out! kiss

BTW, how many of your PhD fellows stay in Nigeria?  I say you are not serious.  We also need IBB and Dangote to contribute! tongue
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Iman3(m): 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2007
One of the criteria for measuring the quality of education is the lecturer to students ratio.Ideally,it should be around 20 students to one lecturer.In Nigeria,we often have about 300 students to 1 lecturer.

If all the lecturers who can't complete their PHD within the next 1 and half-years(is their a 1 and half-year PHD programme?) were to leave,the students to lecturers ratio will even go higher to more absurd levels.In effect,we lower the standards of education in a foolhardy bid to lift it.

Nigeria and Nigerians are notorious for their allergy to pragmatism.The stupidity of this policy is glaring for all to see.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by debosky(m): 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2007
stop talking in ignorance Almond, it doesn't suit you wink

MOST lecturers in Nigerian Universities (Federal ones at least) have PhD's and you cannot simply 'check out' with a PhD, you need to publish papers and achieve a lot, as well as teaching experiences . N/A departments are full to the brim with aspiring PhD's so they have more than adequate supplies. If you learned all you have in the 'ditch of an environment' then I'm sure it wont rob you of anything, rather you use what you've learned to make a difference.

Most [/i]PhD's in Nigeria remain in Nigeria madam Almond, they are committed enough to the system that they remain in it due to their passion and drive. Some leave, but that will always happen. If the non-PhD's are converted, then even if some leave, we will still be left with a pool of PhD professors, even if few.

This is education darling, quality is much preferred over quantity.

If it is one university of quality we have, let us know now and stop fooling around with Bsc holders masquerading as lecturers.

The drive for improvement at all levels must begin now, we must simply ensure we hold the government to a higher funding status for the institutions in [i]consonance
with these drives,NOT as a prerequisite

@ I-man a short term drop in exchange for long term improvements. . .take your pick

would you endure not being able to drive your car for a month on your street so it can be fixed or will you insist on driving your car till it breaks down on the pot holed street? The choice is yours
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

I do not believe she is arguing for a scraping of the plan. You misunderstand her stand in this. You and I know that over the past 20 or so years in Nigeria, people have had to struggle to pay for their education, let alone pay for a PhD degree.
I personally have an aunt who, after over 10 years obtained her PhD degree even though she died only a month afterwards. She had to depend on her husband for over 70% of what she needed for transportation and living in the school during the weeks.

I mean you posted earlier of stipends available to person who are interested in earning a PhD degree in Nigeria, yet there have been more people who have had to struggle through the program with barely any help from the government during that 20 year period. Some people with great interest in the degree have had to scrap their dreams due to the state of things during that period. You mention obasanjo increasing pay 300% for the lecturers during his time. My question is when was this actually put in place?? and then when did the lecturers actually start receiving the increase?? I can go on and on with questions I have on this law which is supposedly to expire in 2009 but it remains that if the NUC has not provided detailed information on how they propose to go about this change if by that date their are not enough PhDs in the country.

Example,   MAJORITY OF THE STAFF IN THE CHEMICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT ARE NOT PHDS http://www.futy.edu.ng/academic/dchmeng.htm  FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY YOLA

2) FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AKURE , http://www.futa.edu.ng/VCs_Office.htm
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by dot2002(m): 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2007
No more China? wink
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by debosky(m): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2007
@ Kobo

those are some of the reasons I feel strongly about these matters - what will a BSc holder have over the students he is teaching apart from 3 years from school for goodness sake? What knowledge is passed on?

Now tell me, if someone can comfortably be an 'assistant lecturer' with a B.Eng, what in this world will make him want to increase qualifications except some mandatory requirements? An entire department with ONE PhD? That is not a realistic endeavour.

Shut down the department if need be for a few years and stop admitting students till they are ready. One way or the other, we need to bite the bullet and make these changes.

So it is funding that kept ALL the 'lecturers' in the department save one from having a PhD? I don't think so. There are cases worth mentioning I'm sure, but those guys would at least have started, and with some sacrifices, can finish by 2009.

No change is easy my brother, but this needs to be done and NOW. Lets see how things unfold, I don't have all the details either, but the plan is definitely a step in the right direction. We may suffer a bit in achieving it, but nothing worth having comes easy.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 14, 2007
a step in the rite direction
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Lady2(f): 11:04pm On Dec 14, 2007
"I am sorry if you feel I am selling Nigeria short but I can not deny what I lived first hand and have experienced over and over now. Yes, I did school in Nigeria and yes, many of the graduates fall short. Infact, I will go a step further and say that private high school students here are taught most the same things an undergraduate in Nigeria is spending time on. Case and Point a friend of mine who happened to be top of her class in one of the medical schools in Nigeria. On arriving here found it hard to catch up for to pass her USMLE. Why ?? The Teaching she got from medical school down there did not prepare her for the exam. I have cousins who instead of being taught how to use a computer are still dealing with DRAWING a computer, in primary 5.

Now if your claim is half true, are you going to then tell me that the reason more and more students go abroad to get an education is because they have thousands of dollars/pounds to waste??"

Like I said I do work for the department of education and I do deal with the university sector and trust me it's no comparison.

Am sorry that ur friend wasn't able to catch up easily, it may be that she did not prepare herself, yes u are given an education, however, if u do not study hard and take advantage of an education, it is ur fault (this is in no way to insult ur friend, just stating a fact)

I also schooled in Nigeria and so did my friends, upon arrival we found the school system boring, it wasn't challenging enough, I also encounter many Africans not just Nigerians who are bored with the system because they've encountered many of the lectures before.

And no people don't travel abroad to waste money on education, they travel because they THINK abroad has better education, and then when they get here, they see that the grass isn't greener on the other side.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Lady2(f): 11:15pm On Dec 14, 2007
To my understanding this has been going on for 20 years and it's now that it's really being pushed.

U know what amazes me?
We ask the government to hurry and now that they are we are complaining, LOL, is there no pleasing us?
If the lecturers cared they would have started working on it years ago, honestly on average it takes about 2-3 years to receive a Ph.D and last I recall there are Ph.D holders who aren't lecturers, what about them? I think this creates job opportunities too.

If the lecturers today don't obtain their Ph.Ds on time they can be lecturers but won't be held to the same esteem as before and those with PhDs can be recruited.

It's really not rocket science people, merely common sense (but then again, not everyone has that) lipsrsealed
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 11:15pm On Dec 14, 2007
~Lady~:

"I am sorry if you feel I am selling Nigeria short but I can not deny what I lived first hand and have experienced over and over now. Yes, I did school in Nigeria and yes, many of the graduates fall short. Infact, I will go a step further and say that private high school students here are taught most the same things an undergraduate in Nigeria is spending time on. Case and Point a friend of mine who happened to be top of her class in one of the medical schools in Nigeria. On arriving here found it hard to catch up for to pass her USMLE. Why ?? The Teaching she got from medical school down there did not prepare her for the exam. I have cousins who instead of being taught how to use a computer are still dealing with DRAWING a computer, in primary 5.

Now if your claim is half true, are you going to then tell me that the reason more and more students go abroad to get an education is because they have thousands of dollars/pounds to waste??"

Like I said I do work for the department of education and I do deal with the university sector and trust me it's no comparison.

Am sorry that your friend wasn't able to catch up easily, it may be that she did not prepare herself, yes u are given an education, however, if u do not study hard and take advantage of an education, it is your fault (this is in no way to insult your friend, just stating a fact)

I also schooled in Nigeria and so did my friends, upon arrival we found the school system boring, it wasn't challenging enough, I also encounter many Africans not just Nigerians who are bored with the system because they've encountered many of the lectures before.

And no people don't travel abroad to waste money on education, they travel because they THINK abroad has better education, and then when they get here, they see that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

I beg to differ. I have met Nigerians here who have to study day and night just to catch up though. Infact, I know of more cases of such than I do you case.

Are you sure the last line of your post makes sense there?? For over 50 years, Nigerians and Africans in general have increasingly moved out to other countries to obtain degrees in fields. Companies in Nigeria can even tell you that foreign educated employees come more skilled than locally educated employees. The Government of Nigeria is scrambling to raise the standard of Education in Nigeria to rival that in developed nations and you are trying to, after 50 years of having thousands actually study abroad and come back to tell of how much better it is , tell us that the level of Education in Nigeria is way higher than that in those countries? I guess the move by the NUC is just for cosmetic ( just so we can now boast of having all PhD faculty) then since we are already ahead of the rest of the world.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 11:39pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

stop talking in ignorance Almond, it doesn't suit you wink

MOST lecturers in Nigerian Universities (Federal ones at least) have PhD's and you cannot simply 'check out' with a PhD, you need to publish papers and achieve a lot, as well as teaching experiences . N/A departments are full to the brim with aspiring PhD's so they have more than adequate supplies. If you learned all you have in the 'ditch of an environment' then I'm sure it wont rob you of anything, rather you use what you've learned to make a difference.

Most [/i]PhD's in Nigeria remain in Nigeria madam Almond, they are committed enough to the system that they remain in it due to their passion and drive. Some leave, but that will always happen. If the non-PhD's are converted, then even if some leave, we will still be left with a pool of PhD professors, even if few.

This is education darling, quality is much preferred over quantity.

If it is one university of quality we have, let us know now and stop fooling around with Bsc holders masquerading as lecturers.

The drive for improvement at all levels must begin now, we must simply ensure we hold the government to a higher funding status for the institutions in [i]consonance
with these drives,NOT as a prerequisite

@ I-man a short term drop in exchange for long term improvements. . .take your pick

would you endure not being able to drive your car for a month on your street so it can be fixed or will you insist on driving your car till it breaks down on the pot holed street? The choice is yours

Me? Ignorant?  Okay!  I think say you like research and evidence well well?  Now go and find out how many of your so called PhD holders stay in Nigeria.  Come back and tell us on Nairaland. kiss
I-man:

One of the criteria for measuring the quality of education is the lecturer to students ratio.Ideally,it should be around 20 students to one lecturer.In Nigeria,we often have about 300 students to 1 lecturer.

If all the lecturers who can't complete their PHD within the next 1 and half-years(is their a 1 and half-year PHD programme?) were to leave,the students to lecturers ratio will even go higher to more absurd levels.In effect,we lower the standards of education in a foolhardy bid to lift it.

Nigeria and Nigerians are notorious for their allergy to pragmatism.The stupidity of this policy is glaring for all to see.

Chi Ching!!!!!! Hear ye!  Hear ye! kiss

Kobojunkie:

I do not believe she is arguing for a scraping of the plan. You misunderstand her stand in this. You and I know that over the past 20 or so years in Nigeria, people have had to struggle to pay for their education, let alone pay for a PhD degree.
I personally have an aunt who, after over 10 years obtained her PhD degree even though she died only a month afterwards. She had to depend on her husband for over 70% of what she needed for transportation and living in the school during the weeks.

I mean you posted earlier of stipends available to person who are interested in earning a PhD degree in Nigeria, yet there have been more people who have had to struggle through the program with barely any help from the government during that 20 year period. Some people with great interest in the degree have had to scrap their dreams due to the state of things during that period. You mention obasanjo increasing pay 300% for the lecturers during his time.

My question is when was this actually put in place?? and then when did the lecturers actually start receiving the increase?? I can go on and on with questions I have on this law which is supposedly to expire in 2009 but it remains that if the NUC has not provided detailed information on how they propose to go about this change if by that date their are not enough PhDs in the country.

Example,   MAJORITY OF THE STAFF IN THE CHEMICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT ARE NOT PHDS http://www.futy.edu.ng/academic/dchmeng.htm  FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY YOLA

2) FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AKURE , http://www.futa.edu.ng/VCs_Office.htm

I rest my case!!!

People like Debosky is the main reason why people should not have PhDs in their 20s--they become insensitive to the realities of what real adults have to face while struggling to make ends meet.

@debosky
Tell a lecturer with a wife and 4 children to leave his classroom to go and study for 3-5 years on an empty stomach and be prepared to tell NUC to devise a better programme to achieve these goals.  It lacks sensitivity, feasiblity, vision or purpose! kiss

Like everything in Nigeria--no plans, no goals, no implementation, no evaluation, no foresight.  At the end of the day--all na abandoned project while people have suffered to get to where they are. Some crazy individual will just wake up from one hangover from his pammy drinking weekend and begin to dream off ways to catch up with the developed world without looking at the kinds of conditions that exist in Nigeria.

Gosh!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Iman3(m): 11:55pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

We know for certain that the quality of education will suffer significantly in the short to medium term-a 6-10 year period-due to the lack of lecturers.Your claim is that we will reap the benefit in the longer term but that is only speculation. The cost is guaranteed,the benefit isn't.There is little reason to be certain that we will have the same student to lecturer ratio we had prior to the reforms.It is just as likely that many more Nigerians will be deterred by the idea of spending 5 or 6 more years pursuing a PHD leading to a net fall in the amount of lecturers.

The result will be more PHD lecturers,fewer lecturers in general with the resultant lowering of standards.Why must all lecturers in Nigeria have a PHD by 2009 when not even Britain requires same?
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by busygirl(f): 2:37am On Dec 15, 2007
I just saw this topic shocked shocked. . . .I don't know what to call this. . What then happens to those that haven't had their PH.d by then. Are they going to be Jobless? The reason why the educational standards in nigeria have fallen doesn't have much to do with the lecturer but rather the goverment. The only reason why other countries have succeeded in their educational aspect is because the government is really spending so much money. Taking my school for example, I know how much worth of equipments and facilities we have. It's is alot and this must have caused the government so much money, Also each student gets like £30 every week, in the sixth form( A level) not to even talk about uni. Tell me, what is the use of a bunch of Phd holders without teaching facilities? Of what use are they, when the government isn't willing to assist? There is just more to this matter than the random decision NUC is taking presently. . .I will blame our corrupt leaders, who would yet send their kids abroad to get the best education, whereas, they are damaging our educational system by their greedy and selfish act. .IT'S HIGH TIME NUC STOOD UP TO GET WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY THIERS!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by stunatic(m): 2:46am On Dec 15, 2007
Whose seen p-square perform ?
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 3:54am On Dec 15, 2007
[/quote]From iykrion
@Kobojunkie,
You seem to infer that the more one studies for higher degrees, the less oppurtunities available. Or better put, the less salary he/she gets.

From all you have written, it's clear that you don't even merit a First Degree . Infact, in your own world, a Diploma holder earns more than a Professor in the same field.

Why did you bother to go for the Master's degree -which I doubt- you have? I suggest you follow Revive's advice, so that, at least you may be revived.

From Geniall

There are also cases where people with MScs, MBAs and whatever else, as well as people with no academic degrees whatsoever, have been seen driving cabs. So what exactly is your point?

From dot2002
How would a master holder earn more than a more technically proficient PhD holder? it beats me, where is the common logical sense in your discussion junkie? [quote]

Lol Thank you oo. wink
May be employers -the executive directors , board of directors (and advisory board) of an industry/company who are themselves PhD holders will employ a masters degree holder and pay this masters holder more than what they themselves (the employers) get.

Hey oya! masters holders in Bio-pharmaceutical industries, oil companies, engineering construction/production companies, Chemical industries, Molecular/biotechnology industries etc mobilize yourselves and campaign against your bosses that you should be getting more pay compared to those your bosses with PhD because u have been going through rigorous industrial experience from one caompany to the other all your life. And don’t forget to quote this forum as your source of information that a Masters holder gets paid more than a PhD holder in the same field and same work area.

Oya! Oya! hurry up!
grin
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 3:57am On Dec 15, 2007
[/quote]From debosky
PS if you want to talk about 'devotion to research and becoming world experts' please name one Nobel Prize winner (apart from literature and peace) who does NOT have a PhD.

from RichyBlacK

Excellen  question!!!

Let us see the ratio in this set of PhDs to non-PhDs.

From RichyBlacK

Stop to misyarn!

What is the ratio of PhDs to non-PhDs in the set of all those who have won Nobel Prizes in Economics?

From RichyBlacK
Among professors, across the globe, only a small fraction, are not PhDs. So, what's wrong if Nigeria puts in place a policy inline with what obtains in the rest of the world?[quote]

Thumbs up! Very smart and rational posts with good sense of logical and positive thinking. Keep it up

Yup the more educated we are the better. They may not have to sack present lecturers without PhD, but if they want the policy to be effective they can hence forth be recruiting only lecturers with PhD as main staff. A lot of PhD holders may not want to go into lecturing, no worries not every body will lecture and not all PhD research is for lecture purpose anyway. All the same there will still be people who want to lecture.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by debosky(m): 4:45am On Dec 15, 2007
almondjoy:

People like Debosky is the main reason why people should not have PhDs in their 20s--they become insensitive to the realities of what real adults have to face while struggling to make ends meet.

@debosky
Tell a lecturer with a wife and 4 children to leave his classroom to go and study for 3-5 years on an empty stomach and be prepared to tell NUC to devise a better programme to achieve these goals. It lacks sensitivity, feasiblity, vision or purpose! kiss

grin grin grin
Why shouldn't you get your PhD in your 20's? That way there's no excuse of 'wife and 4 kids' getting in the way - bottom line, do what is right at the appropriate time. Many people sort out their education before getting all these responsibilities or MAKE PLANS TO DO SO AT A LATER STAGE . . .not fasting and praying each night for NUC Secretary to 'fall down and die' grin grin or for the policy office of NUC to be consumed by flames grin grin

Don't make me vex and change my mind oh! I still have enough time (If I hurry) to get my PhD before 30 grin

My mum left work when I was 10 to go do a Master's degree. . .she was 40 something and no spring chicken so I know what I'm talking about. We all made sacrifices then, and it was beneficial in the end.

Is it NUC's fault that the man waited till he had 4 kids and a wife before getting his qualifications? Sensitivity does not mean condoning mediocrity

If someone is not good enough for a job, enough of manage manage. . .we should not twist the system for the benefit of some lazy people. . .there is funding (albeit limited) available for work study and other programs. . .If he is serious about those four kids, he wouldn't have stayed till this long without getting a PhD knowing what the regulations were (I repeat - set over 20 years back). Knowing that and not doing anything about it is irresponsible, he is culpable for any suffering his family endures as a result of his omission. Even still, there is still room to be a graduate assistant while doing the PhD, a reduced income for a while to achieve necessary status is a sacrifice people should be ready to make

@ I-man

your point about reward/cost deserves some attention. There is a plan by the NUC to structure some of the first generation universities to produce higher quantum of PhD's, do to their relatively better equipment and faculty resources, so as to help begin to meet this need for PhD's, these plans are underway and we'll hear more soon.

If someone is 'deterred' by having to study more to hold a position of responsibility over budding minds, then we do NOT need such a person in academia, we want people who are prepared to endure and go through the rigours of research, not some quick fix folks out there to do just another J-O-B

People are not inspired except by a few luminaries because a lot of these 'lecturers' are the left overs who couldn't get anything better, no passion or zeal for the job, no determination to research or do anything original. We DO NOT need such. Your overdue emphasis on numbers is not a reflection of all quality measures.

If there must be fewer lecturers than we have now. . .so be it. Its high time we knew what our true capacity for higher education is, not this proliferation of mushroom schools no better than secondary schools all in the name of bearing 'university' so much so that the standard has been watered down.

Fewer lecturers will not necessarily lower standards, a few quality people are better than a whole lot of mediocre chaps with nothing to offer.

If all we can produce 20,000 quality graduates a year, lets do that, instead of spreading the resources so thin that we do not get any quality products.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by vowiski(m): 7:27am On Dec 15, 2007
how can somebody complete his PH.d within 2 years.
NUC is a complete failure and the people workin there are illetrates that bought their various degree.

THIS IS OUR PROBLEM WE MAKE LAWS THAT EVEN A MAD MAN'S KNOWS WOULD NEVER WORK.
for me sha dem wan just make Noise Make we for no say dem still dey exist.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by riskit33: 3:07pm On Dec 15, 2007
Hey, just joined!!! how do I get started??
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Akolawole(m): 5:32pm On Dec 15, 2007
@Lady and Debo

Nice one couple  grin

@Topic

My church recently had a youth program and most of these UI bigwigs were there.

According to them, there is  wind of change blowing in our education sector. UI and few other universities had been mandated to admit more postgraduate students than undergraduate.

In the current admission a sizeable number of Jambites were admitted.

There is a "promise" of building research centres et all in those chosen Universities.

Lets hope for the best.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2007
vowiski:

how can somebody complete his PH.d within 2 years.

Did you have a look at this link? (in the 1st post {poster's post})  undecided http://www.ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php?nid=5569

And did you note these?  undecided:

"The directive that lecturers must acquire doctorate degrees have been in the statute books since 1989.

Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission,,  - stated that the non-possession of a doctorate degree will not be the end of the teaching career of the lecturers but the National Universities Commission may resort to the American model where such lecturers are graded as tutors and their authority over academic programmes restricted to an auxiliary level."

Shall it be repeated over and over again that it has been in the book since 1989 for it to get into people's ears? undecided
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 5:53pm On Dec 15, 2007
Akolawole:

, , there is wind of change blowing in our education sector.

There is a "promise" of building research centres et all in those chosen Universities.

Lets hope for the best.

That's good news. In concordance, I also say "Lets hope for the best" and support good motives
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by vowiski(m): 5:59pm On Dec 15, 2007
you and i know that there is no way on earth the wortless policies can ever work, even with the confused president we have on ground.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 6:03pm On Dec 15, 2007
If we do not want good policies to work in our nation, how then do we expect positive changes in the nation? cry
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by cybersleek(m): 6:15pm On Dec 15, 2007
Without meaning to denigrate anybody, i would like everybody on this forum to take about 30 minutes to read through the threads concerning this discussion, then you will find out why the educational system in Nigeria needs an overhaul. I dont think the standard of education in the UK or in the US is higher or even better than the one in Nigeria, but the governments here spend a lot on facilities and infrastructure, even on human capital development. Most people who live in the UK know that the government encourages teachers with first degree here to go for a highly subsidized 2nd degree, all these were also available during the golden age of Nigerian universities, i graduated from UI and my department alone had over 14 professors in a pool of about 20 lecturers with almost all those professors with foreign higher degrees at the expense of the federal government of Nigeria. I live in the UK presently, and i have the opportunity of interacting with a lot of academics and i would tell you that it is not so much the standard of education but the fact that facilities are very available that make the UK better than Nigeria, and the fact that thousands of Nigerian students pay a fortune to ensure that the British kids can get better facilities and better funding to study. Before anybody starts condemning the Nigerian educational system again, dont forget that every year, you still have students coming out of Nigerian universities and becoming the best students in the same UK universities you think are citadels of heaven.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unimaid Admission Is Out!!! / Ilesa Prison Prepares 30 Inmates For University Education / Registration For A'level Admission IJMB | NABTEB A'LEVEL Now Open !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.