Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,386 members, 7,836,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 (8994 Views)

Poll: Your ipinion?

I support this.: 38% (10 votes)
I don't support this.: 61% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos From FUTO Convocation As Okorocha Bags Doctorate Degree / Students: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree By XFIRE / 10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On Dec 15, 2007
cybersleek:

Without meaning to denigrate anybody, i would like everybody on this forum to take about 30 minutes to read through the threads concerning this discussion, then you will find out why the educational system in Nigeria needs an overhaul. I don't think the standard of education in the UK or in the US is higher or even better than the one in Nigeria, but the governments here spend a lot on facilities and infrastructure, even on human capital development. Most people who live in the UK know that the government encourages teachers with first degree here to go for a highly subsidized 2nd degree, all these were also available during the golden age of Nigerian universities, i graduated from UI and my department alone had over 14 professors in a pool of about 20 lecturers with almost all those professors with foreign higher degrees at the expense of the federal government of Nigeria. I live in the UK presently, and i have the opportunity of interacting with a lot of academics and i would tell you that it is not so much the standard of education but the fact that facilities are very available that make the UK better than Nigeria, and the fact that thousands of Nigerian students pay a fortune to ensure that the British kids can get better facilities and better funding to study. Before anybody starts condemning the Nigerian educational system again, don't forget that every year, you still have students coming out of Nigerian universities and becoming the best students in the same UK universities you think are citadels of heaven.

Standard of education is not same as Quality of education. Yes, students from Nigerian can still excel in European schools. Why ?? cause the students themselves have come to understand that they have to do most of the work themselves. I mean there are students in the same schools who are Nigerians who fail in European schools. This is not about putting down the Nigerian educational system but actually stating things as they are. I happened to have attended one of the many colleges down there myself. I have friends who did same and had to move out to European schools for one reason or another. I can tell you this, majority would tell you, that they would not pay anything to go back. Why ?? Cause the quality of the teachers/professors is not same.

The Standard of education down in Nigeria I believe is in line with that in the UK  but the Quality of education in Nigeria stinks. No matter which way you slice and dice it, we need to call for a complete change to this.  I remember the curriculum when I was in public school was same as that in private school down there. But you can not compare the quality of education recieved from the public school system with that from private school system. I mean it was clear as day and night that the two were and have remained different.

I don't believe telling things as they really are is akin to badmouthing Nigeria's educational system in anyway. Providing the school with facilities only goes so far. I remember when I first started on my own program, the school recieved some private money to help but at the end, most of the machines were only there for show. NO one knew how to use them, let alone teach us to use them and I am talking of medical school. There was rarely electricity to power up the ECG machines, let alone show us how it works. Students coming out of that setting and then excelling in other schools only points to the fact that we have brilliant intelligent students who want to learn but are we necessarily feeling their minds well in the system as it is now?? In secondary school, we had a physics teacher who was rarely present to teach his students. Towards final year, he came up with a scheme to get us to buy handouts and promised that we would pass the WAEC if we bought this or that. I had to buckle up and hit the books on my own cause I knew that it was then up to me and I am glad I had people who encouraged me to do my best and bought me all the tools I needed at home. I was one of the few students in my school to pass the Physics exam. Majority had to go back.

Bear in mind, we are not speaking of education in the year 1990, we are speaking of the year 2007/08. Is Nigeria really where it ought to be compared to the rest of the world??
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by OMUWUNMI: 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2007
anoda monkey business wan start again for naija.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by oge4real(f): 9:53pm On Dec 15, 2007
I do not agree with this policy at all.This is because of the politics involved in obtaining a phd these days in our universities.
Paper qualification should be deemphasised and experience rewarded.
Our phd in this country has now become PUSH HIM DOWN thereby denying some qualified but uncompromising candidates the opportunity of imparting what they have to the next generation.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by grafikdon: 10:00pm On Dec 15, 2007
You can earn your PHD in two years in Nigeria? Has anyone ever accomplished that, with all the instability, frustration and strike? Could this be an extension of our favourite game of Chasing Shadows?
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by quinofhart(f): 10:09pm On Dec 15, 2007
grafikdon:

You can earn your PHD in two years in Nigeria? Has anyone ever accomplished that, with all the instability, frustration and strike? Could this be an extension of our favourite game of Chasing Shadows?

i know right!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by vowiski(m): 10:25pm On Dec 15, 2007
nothing dey happen na me talk am.
na noise dem dey make.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 7:31am On Dec 16, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Standard of education is not same as Quality of education. Yes, students from Nigerian can still excel in European schools. Why ?? cause the students themselves have come to understand that they have to do most of the work themselves. I mean there are students in the same schools who are Nigerians who fail in European schools. This is not about putting down the Nigerian educational system but actually stating things as they are. I happened to have attended one of the many colleges down there myself. I have friends who did same and had to move out to European schools for one reason or another. I can tell you this, majority would tell you, that they would not pay anything to go back. Why ?? Cause the quality of the teachers/professors is not same.

The Standard of education down in Nigeria I believe is in line with that in the UK but the Quality of education in Nigeria stinks. No matter which way you slice and dice it, we need to call for a complete change to this. I remember the curriculum when I was in public school was same as that in private school down there. But you can not compare the quality of education recieved from the public school system with that from private school system. I mean it was clear as day and night that the two were and have remained different.

I don't believe telling things as they really are is akin to badmouthing Nigeria's educational system in anyway. Providing the school with facilities only goes so far. I remember when I first started on my own program, the school recieved some private money to help but at the end, most of the machines were only there for show. NO one knew how to use them, let alone teach us to use them and I am talking of medical school. There was rarely electricity to power up the ECG machines, let alone show us how it works.

Students coming out of that setting and then excelling in other schools only points to the fact that we have brilliant intelligent students who want to learn but are we necessarily feeling their minds well in the system as it is now??
In secondary school, we had a physics teacher who was rarely present to teach his students. Towards final year, he came up with a scheme to get us to buy handouts and promised that we would pass the WAEC if we bought this or that. I had to buckle up and hit the books on my own cause I knew that it was then up to me and I am glad I had people who encouraged me to do my best and bought me all the tools I needed at home. I was one of the few students in my school to pass the Physics exam. Majority had to go back.

Bear in mind, we are not speaking of education in the year 1990, we are speaking of the year 2007/08. Is Nigeria really where it ought to be compared to the rest of the world??

Well done Kobojunkie! kiss Nothing more to add at all. You just about buried this topic! Nothing more to add I say! kiss
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by SignorZax: 11:15am On Dec 16, 2007
Just watch out! The NUC Boss just wants to be heard.
The policy will not work even in 2015. Have you considered how many RELATIONS of the "powers that be" that lecture in these Universities even with 3rd Class?

Uhm um! My people, the in-thing in Nigeria now is to talk and be heard especially if you are in politics.
Don't laff, Don't cry, JUST SIDON LOOK and YOU WILL SEE.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 11:58pm On Dec 16, 2007
Depending on context, standard can also stand for quality.
If you do not know, see dictionary.com definition of standard (number 4 ). It defines standard as :

“4.  An average or normal requirement, quality, quantity, level, grade, etc.: His work this week hasn't been up to his usual standard.”  cheesy
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/standard

Perhaps cybersleek is actually talking of standard in its ‘quality context’ undecided
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Lady2(f): 3:52am On Dec 17, 2007
"Without meaning to denigrate anybody, i would like everybody on this forum to take about 30 minutes to read through the threads concerning this discussion, then you will find out why the educational system in Nigeria needs an overhaul. I don't think the standard of education in the UK or in the US is higher or even better than the one in Nigeria, but the governments here spend a lot on facilities and infrastructure, even on human capital development. Most people who live in the UK know that the government encourages teachers with first degree here to go for a highly subsidized 2nd degree, all these were also available during the golden age of Nigerian universities, i graduated from UI and my department alone had over 14 professors in a pool of about 20 lecturers with almost all those professors with foreign higher degrees at the expense of the federal government of Nigeria. I live in the UK presently, and i have the opportunity of interacting with a lot of academics and i would tell you that it is not so much the standard of education but the fact that facilities are very available that make the UK better than Nigeria, and the fact that thousands of Nigerian students pay a fortune to ensure that the British kids can get better facilities and better funding to study. Before anybody starts condemning the Nigerian educational system again, don't forget that every year, you still have students coming out of Nigerian universities and becoming the best students in the same UK universities you think are citadels of heaven.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Lady2(f): 3:57am On Dec 17, 2007
"Without meaning to denigrate anybody, i would like everybody on this forum to take about 30 minutes to read through the threads concerning this discussion, then you will find out why the educational system in Nigeria needs an overhaul. I don't think the standard of education in the UK or in the US is higher or even better than the one in Nigeria, but the governments here spend a lot on facilities and infrastructure, even on human capital development. Most people who live in the UK know that the government encourages teachers with first degree here to go for a highly subsidized 2nd degree, all these were also available during the golden age of Nigerian universities, i graduated from UI and my department alone had over 14 professors in a pool of about 20 lecturers with almost all those professors with foreign higher degrees at the expense of the federal government of Nigeria. I live in the UK presently, and i have the opportunity of interacting with a lot of academics and i would tell you that it is not so much the standard of education but the fact that facilities are very available that make the UK better than Nigeria, and the fact that thousands of Nigerian students pay a fortune to ensure that the British kids can get better facilities and better funding to study. Before anybody starts condemning the Nigerian educational system again, don't forget that every year, you still have students coming out of Nigerian universities and becoming the best students in the same UK universities you think are citadels of heaven."

Thanks. Straight to the point.

I wonder how people expect Nigeria to get better when they don't realise that policies like this will make it better.
Abroad universities have better research facilities because they're lecturers are researchers, researches come up with theory and they support it, their theory can be supported, hence more funding.
It's not only about the classroom. Point blank research pulls funding for schools. The more the funding, the better the infrastructure of the institutions.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by PTH(m): 4:05am On Dec 17, 2007
~Lady~:

[b]I wonder how people expect Nigeria to get better when they don't realise that policies like this will make it better.[/b]Abroad universities have better research facilities because they're lecturers are researchers, researches come up with theory and they support it, their theory can be supported, hence more funding.
It's not only about the classroom. Point blank research pulls funding for schools. The more the funding, the better the infrastructure of the institutions.

Thank you for the words in blue. The policy sounds stupid now and unattainable but it is this kind of strict adherence to such a policy that makes foreign universities as good as they are today.

Another thing to note is the emergency of medical doctors as researchers today. Medicine is no longer about administering drugs and diagnosing ailments, foriegn doctors now run their own research labs.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 5:57am On Dec 17, 2007
And the thread derailment continues------------------------

Like anyone is opposing the "brilliant" ideas of accquiring PhDs and encouraging research in academic institutions.

Sometimes I just wonder.
undecided
The means of going about it is what the problem is.  Not the idea in itself. Is it by the magical powers of David Copperfield? undecided

Gosh!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 7:40am On Dec 17, 2007
PTH:

Thank you for the words in blue. The policy sounds stupid now and unattainable but it is this kind of strict adherence to such a policy that makes foreign universities as good as they are today.
Another thing to note is the emergency of medical doctors as researchers today. Medicine is no longer about administering drugs and diagnosing ailments, foriegn doctors now run their own research labs.

No ONE has so far said anything about the policy itself being stupid. That assumption is only carried on by persons who have not taken time to actually READ and UNDERSTAND what the conversation has been about from the beginning. THE POLICY itself is a BRILLIANT one BUT we have to DO oTHER things to make sure it works and STICKS since we are DEALING with a COUNTRY called Nigeria and not Singapore or some european country with the basics already in place to facilitate the shift.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 7:42am On Dec 17, 2007
almondjoy:

And the thread derailment continues------------------------

Like anyone is opposing the "brilliant" ideas of accquiring PhDs and encouraging research in academic institutions.

Sometimes I just wonder.
undecided
The means of going about it is what the problem is.  Not the idea in itself. Is it by the magical powers of David Copperfield? undecided

Gosh!

Do you ever notice that people do not actually READ POSTINGS but RUN off with ASSUMPTIONS that are based on their own imaginations  in here?? I keep having to encourage people to read before they jump to post responses, LMAO!!!! It is almost as if one is having a conversation with ADD patients. They can not seem to read what other's post but are quick to cut down and claim they are wrong in their assertions. What the heck is thisLMAO!!!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 8:32am On Dec 17, 2007
~Lady~:

"Without meaning to denigrate anybody, i would like everybody on this forum to take about 30 minutes to read through the threads concerning this discussion, then you will find out why the educational system in Nigeria needs an overhaul. I don't think the standard of education in the UK or in the US is higher or even better than the one in Nigeria, but the governments here spend a lot on facilities and infrastructure, even on human capital development. Most people who live in the UK know that the government encourages teachers with first degree here to go for a highly subsidized 2nd degree, all these were also available during the golden age of Nigerian universities, i graduated from UI and my department alone had over 14 professors in a pool of about 20 lecturers with almost all those professors with foreign higher degrees at the expense of the federal government of Nigeria. I live in the UK presently, and i have the opportunity of interacting with a lot of academics and i would tell you that it is not so much the standard of education but the fact that facilities are very available that make the UK better than Nigeria, and the fact that thousands of Nigerian students pay a fortune to ensure that the British kids can get better facilities and better funding to study. Before anybody starts condemning the Nigerian educational system again, don't forget that every year, you still have students coming out of Nigerian universities and becoming the best students in the same UK universities you think are citadels of heaven."

Thanks. Straight to the point.

I wonder how people expect Nigeria to get better when they don't realise that policies like this will make it better.
Abroad universities have better research facilities because they're lecturers are researchers, researches come up with theory and they support it, their theory can be supported, hence more funding.

1) Why are you not in Nigerian studying in the schools there??

2) Does having similar curriculum with that in the UK mean that schools in Nigeria are as good as those in the UK??

3) If the Standards as you claim are the same, why are we even bothering with the move to have all lecturers get their PhD's? Does that mean the quality of education you can get from a Nigerian school AS IS, is same with that you get from UK schools? Are you in essence saying that those going abroad to study are wasting there time since our teachers in Nigeria can and will give them the same quality of education if they stayed back

4) If the Standard of education in Nigeria is as good as that in the UK, why do Nigerian schools keep failing to meet up when it comes to international scoring of the schools?? Why are Nigerian schools way low on the list of top schools in Africa?? Is it that those in charge of rating schools do not know this information that you seem to have on the schools??

5) If the Standard of education in Nigeria is OK, why are we having this conversation?? Why don't we just continue doing what we have been doing all this while and not need to change anything since we already rival the system in countries like the UK

6) Why even try to fix what is not broken ( according to you) , when all we have to do is buy a couple of equipments here and there and we will be ALL GOOD

Please Let us not be blinded by our feigned love for Nigeria as is. Nigeria is a state of total chaos and changes need to be made in the way we implement ideas. We have for decades had good ideas and totally bungled when it came to actually implementing these ideas why?? Cause we have continually taken the one-eyed approach to issues. We know what we want and we continue to try walking straight lines to get to our destination without considering the many pits in the road that need to be filled to make sure our plan does not collapse on us. We, as Africans, need to stop acting like numbskulls and start looking at the 360 of decisions and plans we make and make sure that we try to cover all possible grounds to insure that the plan not only succeeds but does not crash on us.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2007
Good Diplomats!
Finally we have at least agreed on something. I L-O-O-O-O-O-OV-E Naija peeps. wink

Now that we have diplomatically agreed that the policy is good and that the only problem is how to implement it, lets now move into the new stage which is ;

BEST WAY TO IMPLEMENT THE POLICY:
So all those who know the best ways of implementing the policy, file them up and post in here so that the poster will collect them and send to NUC.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by laudate: 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2007
grafikdon:

Don't mind them. Someone plucked the deadline of two years out of thin air, without bothering to consider the fact, that in many universities in Nigeria, a Ph.d programme actually takes 3-5 years, depending on the course and the university. Before enrolling for the Ph.d programme, you would have spent another 2 years getting an MPhil. degree in addition to your Masters' degree, before being allowed to enrol for a Ph.d., like I said earlier. Exemptions are only granted for those with a 1st class Bachelor's degree.

Those who are currently engaged in a Ph.d programme, are unlikely to be able to complete it in 2 years, if the body of research they have done, hasn't gotten up to the level that is required for the university to award them a Ph.d.

Secondly, in many universities in Nigeria there has been a dearth of Professors due to a variety of reasons. Many Professors have retired, joined the brain-drain bandwagon to relocate outside Nigeria, and new replacements to take up their positions, have not been nurtured by the universities themselves. So how many post-doctoral fellows are available to supervise the Ph.d candidates adequately?

Even the cost of pursuing a Ph.d programme is on the high side. How many grants exist nationwide for those who wish to embark on Ph.d programmes? 10? 20? 50? What is the proportion of Ph.d candidates who are currently within the universities, that can get access to these grants or benefit from them?

Why can't they implement the deadline in phases? For example, those currently on the programme, who have done 80% of their research work needed for a Ph.d, should be given grants by the universities to complete their work, or offered assistance in some way to round-up their programme in the next 2-3 years?
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2007
laudate:

Don't mind them. Someone plucked the deadline of two years out of thin air, without bothering to consider the fact, that in many universities in Nigeria, a Ph.d programme actually takes 3-5 years, depending on the course and the university. Before enrolling for the Ph.d programme, you would have spent another 2 years getting an MPhil. degree in addition to your Masters' degree, before being allowed to enrol for a Ph.d. Exemptions are only granted for those with a 1st class Bachelor's degree.

Those who are currently engaged in a Ph.d programme, are unlikely to be able to complete it in 2 years, if the body of research they have done, hasn't gotten up to the level that is required for the university to award them a Ph.d.

Secondly, in many universities in Nigeria there has been a dearth of Professors due to a variety of reasons. Many Professors have retired, joined the brain-drain bandwagon to relocate outside Nigeria, and new replacements to take up their positions, have not been nurtured by the universities themselves. So how many post-doctoral fellows are available to supervise the Ph.d candidates adequately?

Even the cost of pursuing a Ph.d programme is on the high side. How many grants exist nationwide for those who wish to embark on Ph.d programmes? 10? 20? 50? What is the proportion of Ph.d candidates who are currently within the universities, that can get access to these grants or benefit from them?

Why can't they implement the deadline in phases? For example, those currently on the programme, who have done 80% of their research work needed for a Ph.d, should be given grants by the universities to complete their work, or offered assistance in some way to round-up their programme in the next 2-3 years?

THANK YOU!! I hope this time people actually spend time reading your post instead of running off posting disconnected rebuttals.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by laudate: 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2007
Right now, with the influx of new private universities, a lot of the existing Ph.d holders in some federal and state-owned universities have decided to head for the private universities to take up teaching appointments.

Who are those going to replace these Ph.d holders that have left the federal and state-owned universities?

Yet, our government is still licensing more private universities without compelling existing universities to place more focus on training Ph.d candidates that would teach in such new universities. They are licensing universties without giving much thought to those who would occupy faculty positions in such universities. Go to several state-owned polytechnics in our country. Many departments offering 7 or 8 courses, have just one or two Ph.d holders in the entire dept., ably supported by other less qualified teaching staff.

What is needed to produce more Ph.d holders are incentives, lower academic fees, more grants, research facilities, accomodation and supervisory support, to ensure that qualified candidates are attracted to undertake and graduate from Ph.d programmes, in larger numbers.
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 1:47pm On Dec 17, 2007
laudate:

Don't mind them. Someone plucked the deadline of two years out of thin air, without bothering to consider the fact, that in many universities in Nigeria, a Ph.d programme actually takes 3-5 years, depending on the course and the university. Before enrolling for the Ph.d programme, you would have spent another 2 years getting an MPhil. degree in addition to your Masters' degree, before being allowed to enrol for a Ph.d., like I said earlier. Exemptions are only granted for those with a 1st class Bachelor's degree.

THANK YOU! X100! kiss
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 1:50pm On Dec 17, 2007
laudate:

Right now, with the influx of new private universities, a lot of the existing Ph.d holders in some federal and state-owned universities have decided to head for the private universities to take up teaching appointments.

Who are those going to replace these Ph.d holders that have left the federal and state-owned universities?

Yet, our government is still licensing more private universities without compelling existing universities to place more focus on training Ph.d candidates that would teach in such new universities. They are licensing universties without giving much thought to those who would occupy faculty positions in such universities. Go to several state-owned polytechnics in our country. Many departments offering 7 or 8 courses, have just one or two Ph.d holders in the entire dept., ably supported by other less qualified teaching staff.

What is needed to produce more Ph.d holders are incentives, lower academic fees, more grants, research facilities, accomodation and supervisory support, to ensure that qualified candidates are attracted to undertake and graduate from Ph.d programmes, in larger numbers.

Common sense is not so common after all!!!!! Generational imbeciles on patrol in Nigeria always!!!!! The most difficult thing for most people in Nigeria to do is to think!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2007
laudate:

Exactly what we have been saying all along!!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Revive(f): 2:28pm On Dec 17, 2007
Revive:

BEST WAY TO IMPLEMENT THE POLICY:

laudate:

,  those currently on the programme, who have done 80% of their research work needed for a Ph.d, should be given grants by the universities to complete their work, or offered assistance in some way to round-up their programme in the next 2-3 years?
laudate:

We are getting some where: The policy is good, we only need good implementation. Others pour in your well thought implementation ways.

Poster, get really to take feedback to NUC
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by laudate: 2:32pm On Dec 17, 2007
debosky: stop talking in ignorance Almond, it doesn't suit you

MOST lecturers in Nigerian Universities (Federal ones at least) have PhD's and you cannot simply 'check out' with a PhD, you need to publish papers and achieve a lot, as well as teaching experiences . N/A departments are full to the brim with aspiring PhD's so they have more than adequate supplies. If you learned all you have in the 'ditch of an environment' then I'm sure it wont rob you of anything, rather you use what you've learned to make a difference.

Most PhD's in Nigeria remain in Nigeria madam Almond, they are committed enough to the system that they remain in it due to their passion and drive. Some leave, but that will always happen. If the non-PhD's are converted, then even if some leave, we will still be left with a pool of PhD professors, even if few.

This is education darling, quality is much preferred over quantity.

If it is one university of quality we have, let us know now and stop fooling around with Bsc holders masquerading as lecturers.

The drive for improvement at all levels must begin now, we must simply ensure we hold the government to a higher funding status for the institutions in consonance with these drives,NOT as a prerequisite.

Debosky, please tell us you were joking when you made that statement in bold type. Have you taken a tour of all the universities in Nigeria (both North & South) recently? Have you gone to the federal & state-owned universities & polytechnics to see the numbers of candidates that are currently enrolled on Ph.d programmes? My brother, they are few. Scratch that. They are miniscule. shocked

If na MBA programme you dey talk. . . . . ehen, plenty people boku for there. grin But Ph.d?? Kai! angry Some departments will tell you that they have not even graduated a single Ph.d candidate from their place, in the last three years!!

So which departments are full to the brim with aspiring PhD's so they have more than adequate supplies, like you said?? Kindly name them. For every dept., that you can call, I can also give you the names of those that do not have a single Ph.d candidate on their books! And many of them are science-based depts.!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by almondjoy(f): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2007
laudate:

Debosky, please tell us you were joking when you made that statement in bold type. Have you taken a tour of all the universities in Nigeria (both North & South) recently? Have you gone to the federal & state-owned universities & polytechnics to see the numbers of candidates that are currently enrolled on Ph.d programmes? My brother, they are few. Scratch that. They are miniscule. shocked

If na MBA programme you dey talk. . . . . ehen, plenty people boku for there. grin But Ph.d?? Kai! angry Some departments will tell you that they have not even graduated a single Ph.d candidate from their place, in the last three years!!

So which departments are full to the brim with aspiring PhD's so they have more than adequate supplies, like you said?? Kindly name them. For every dept., that you can call, I can also give you the names of those that do not have a single Ph.d candidate on their books! And many of them are science-based depts.!

Some people are only book smart and despite the fact that the have bumper stickers on their vehicles that read--I[b] have an honor role student at Harvard[/b]--they still remain very deficient in simple common sense applications.

If I were to choose between being "book smart" and being "street smart"---I would definitely choose "street smartness"!

Debosky--take note! kiss  Please I am waiting for your ever knowledgeable reply to Laudate!  Mr. Evidence and Research!
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by osemega(m): 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2007
thats a very good decision. In my view it would help upgrade the general standards of our higher institutions
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Omolulu(m): 8:36pm On Dec 26, 2007
it's a good idea, whether the right incentives or structures are there or not, the policy serves as a step in the right direction, in future things might get better as a result of such a move, better now than never wink
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by Miketomi: 11:54am On Jan 05, 2008
After taking my precious time to go through all the posts, I realised most of the posters rarely understands what it takes to be a good lecturer.
I must say this, IT IS NOT BY PHD.

My discussion is centered around enginering education in Nigeria.

I have been opportune to be lectured by Engineering Professors, PhD Holders, Msc and First degree holders.
I tell you the truth and I lie not, most of the so called PhD holders and Professors are out of tune with recent happenings in their field.
Their lecture delivery is nothing to write home about.

A PhD holder in Nigeria who has no form of industrial experience in Engineering , no access to any serious research centres will not do any better in lecturing than a Graduate Assistant.
I graduated with the best possible grade in any academic endeavours and I tell you the truth, PhD as minimum qualification
for lecturing will not solve our educational problem especially in Engineering.

Most of our lecturers can not even relate their so called theories/research with realities. It is that bad.
Someone like me, I will surely go for PhD and finally return to university to lecture but not until I have acquired the necessary technical know-how in my field.
We need seasoned experts who are doing greatly in their field not necessarily because they have PhD to lecture Engineering students and groom professionals and not mathematicians. I must say, most of our Engineering lecturers are nothing but great mathematicians.

If you would agree with me there is a great world of difference between mathematics and engineering. Mathematics is a tool for Engineers not the other way round.

Imagine a lecturer taking Electrical services design, Computer Networking and so many other core professional courses in our Universities who has never participated in any of these jobs on the field. Even if the lecturer is a professor, he is simply taking the students tutorials.

In summary, compelling all lecturers to have minimum of PhD will not solve our problem. Encouraging them to do so is a welcome idea but most importantly, do these lecturers have the necessary technical-know-how??
Re: NUC: Lecturers Must Obtain Doctorate Degree By 2009 by jamifa(m): 4:55pm On Jan 05, 2008
This is not feasible. I beleive that PhDs do not make a person a better disseminator of knowledge. By this policy the NUC has once again shown us that the Nigerian Educational system will always be unstable. How is the NUC going to cater for the short fall, if universities like UNiLag which is the only Nigerian university in Africa's top 50 universities has only graduated only 30 PhDs students in the last 36 years in Social sciences. We are in trouble,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Predegree And IJMB: Which Should I Choose / University Of Ilorin 2007 Post Jamb / Unimaid Admission Is Out!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.