Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! (2158 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview / Free N5000 For A Writer Here Every Month! Click To See How! / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 12:29pm On Jul 24, 2012
A couple of months ago, I posted a notice here on Nairaland, stating that I need some writers to assist me whenever I have some bulk writing projects, which I cannot handle all by myself due to my tight schedule. Expectedly, I got loads of application in my email.
One thing I didn't just find funny while reading through the applications is that, most applicants are not just fit to be called writers, going by the bunches of grammatical, punctuation, and style errors I found in their applications and attached samples. I was forced to conclude that there are very few good writers in Nigeria. Of all the applicants, I could only manage to work with 1 or 2 of them. And as for those, I could't even risk sending their writings directly to my clients without taking my time to edit and proofread their work.
One thing I've come to realise is that, most people think they'll make good writers simply because they're good speakers. No, they are different. Writing requires training. Punctuation alone takes time to master, let alone other aspects. Of course, when you speak, you don't mention punctuations. So, you won't know you're very poor in your usage of punctuations while writing.
I used to write badly before too until I met a client of mine who was a world-class writer. Yes, a graduate of a writing school in Connecticut. He groomed me, taught me, inspired me, and helped me improve my writing. Now, with confidence, I've raised my charges and my clients aren't complaining. In fact, when I look at the articles I wrote long ago when I just began writing, I find it hard to believe that I wrote those articles. Even though, then, I looked at myself as a "good" writer.
Fellow writers, you don't have to bag a degree in English or journalism to excel as a freelance writer. You do not need to have a vast vocabulary (in fact, my clients, most of whom are Americans, would complain when I use big grammar).
My advice to every aspiring writer is to get closer to editors, and experienced writers. You'll gain a lot this way.
Personally, I can assist anyone who wishes to have his/her writing assessed. I'll scrutinize and check for errors, then send tips to you on how you can improve your writing. In addition, to interacy with other writers, you can search for the facebook group with the name "FREELANCE WRITING TIPS" and request to join. I'll accept your request as soon as possible.
If you need my assistance in any way, I'll be willing to assist (no charges). Just check out my blog, the link to which you'll find in my signature box below, and reach me via my contacts page.
Becoming a writer is not hard. With some determination, openness to criticism, and practice, you'll get there. The web is constantly in need of people like you. Yes, every website has a text content. Content rocks! Content is king!

PS: Don't mind any errors in my writing. I wrote this on phone while in school, during a practical session. So, I couldn't edit before posting right away.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by wiseman123: 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2012
If you need a writer who can write error free content, my service is available.
Call 08035978352 or email ayodeleade2002@yahoo.com
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2012
Iam a writter wanna be,but iam not sure if my work is perfect.would it be possible to review my work if I send u a piece?I would be honoured to
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 2:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: Iam a writter wanna be,but iam not sure if my work is perfect.would it be possible to review my work if I send u a piece?I would be honoured to
No problem, send any samples of your writing to basicfreelance@gmail.com, and I'll be more then willing to check it for you.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 2:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
wiseman123: If you need a writer who can write error free content, my service is available.
Call 08035978352 or email ayodeleade2002@yahoo.com
Show me online samples of your published writing. I need someone who can write for the web. I mean the "blog post style", interactive writing, not the "journalistic style" writing. If we match, fine!
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by ANYPEN(m): 1:16am On Aug 23, 2012
Basic: A couple of months ago, I posted a notice here on Nairaland, stating that I need some writers to assist me whenever I have some bulk writing projects, which I cannot handle all by myself due to my tight schedule. Expectedly, I got loads of application in my email.
One thing I didn't just find funny while reading through the applications is that, most applicants are not just fit to be called writers, going by the bunches of grammatical, punctuation, and style errors I found in their applications and attached samples. I was forced to conclude that there are very few good writers in Nigeria. Of all the applicants, I could only manage to work with 1 or 2 of them. And as for those, I could't even risk sending their writings directly to my clients without taking my time to edit and proofread their work.
One thing I've come to realise is that, most people think they'll make good writers simply because they're good speakers. No, they are different. Writing requires training. Punctuation alone takes time to master, let alone other aspects. Of course, when you speak, you don't mention punctuations. So, you won't know you're very poor in your usage of punctuations while writing.
I used to write badly before too until I met a client of mine who was a world-class writer. Yes, a graduate of a writing school in Connecticut. He groomed me, taught me, inspired me, and helped me improve my writing. Now, with confidence, I've raised my charges and my clients aren't complaining. In fact, when I look at the articles I wrote long ago when I just began writing, I find it hard to believe that I wrote those articles. Even though, then, I looked at myself as a "good" writer.
Fellow writers, you don't have to bag a degree in English or journalism to excel as a freelance writer. You do not need to have a vast vocabulary (in fact, my clients, most of whom are Americans, would complain when I use big grammar).
My advice to every aspiring writer is to get closer to editors, and experienced writers. You'll gain a lot this way.
Personally, I can assist anyone who wishes to have his/her writing assessed. I'll scrutinize and check for errors, then send tips to you on how you can improve your writing. In addition, to interacy with other writers, you can search for the facebook group with the name "FREELANCE WRITING TIPS" and request to join. I'll accept your request as soon as possible.
If you need my assistance in any way, I'll be willing to assist (no charges). Just check out my blog, the link to which you'll find in my signature box below, and reach me via my contacts page.
Becoming a writer is not hard. With some determination, openness to criticism, and practice, you'll get there. The web is constantly in need of people like you. Yes, every website has a text content. Content rocks! Content is king!

PS: Don't mind any errors in my writing. I wrote this on phone while in school, during a practical session. So, I couldn't edit before posting right away.

I write articles on a website I own. I just need someone to read, edit & possibly make better my article before I upload it on the web. Don't know if I can reach you on the same e-mail address
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 4:45am On Aug 23, 2012
ANY-PEN :

I write articles on a website I own. I just need someone to read, edit & possibly make better my article before I upload it on the web. Don't know if I can reach you on the same e-mail address
sure, you can reach me via the same address. Go ahead!
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by wiseman123: 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2012
Send your articles to me for editing.
I will proofread and edit it free.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
Basic:
No problem, send any samples of your writing to basicfreelance@gmail.com, and I'll be more then willing to check it for you.
helo,I just sended u a piece of my writting for a review?Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Nkele
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 12, 2012
@OP! I disagree with u!! Punctuation n all that, doesn't make one a bad writer! It provides a market n job for people we call editors n proof-readers!!
The word "writer" is ambiguous. U may be referring to novelist as well!

HumbledbYGrace: helo,I just sended u a piece of my writting for a review?Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Nkele

Lol!!! Humour!!
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:37am On Sep 12, 2012
nchewi: @OP! I disagree with u!! Punctuation n all that, doesn't make one a bad writer! It provides a market n job for people we call editors n proof-readers!!
The word "writer" is ambiguous. U may be referring to novelist as well!

Lol!!! Humour!!
It gets me wat I want
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 12:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: helo,I just sended u a piece of my writting for a review?Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Nkele
Your piece is quite long. By "samples", I meant short excerpts of your writing. Anyway, I'll look at some of it and give a feedback.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2012
nchewi: @OP! I disagree with u!! Punctuation n all that, doesn't make one a bad writer! It provides a market n job for people we call editors n proof-readers!!
The word "writer" is ambiguous. U may be referring to novelist as well.

Editors are meant to rectify mistakes that are usually pardonable. That's why they must have keen eyes. As for a goood writer, even if your writing isn't perfect, only a professional writer or editor should be able to see your mistakes, not the layman.
If average level writers and laymen can pick errors in your writing, then it's not good enough and you need to work on it.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
So far, the best Nigerian freelance writer I've come across is the author of this blog:
www.naijawriterscoach.
Even without any editorial scrutiny, his writing is just stellar. I'm not promoting him here, but I'm just telling you that he's a very good writer. Interestingly, he shares on his blog, tips on how to write well. Check out the blog, and see it for yourself.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Krysstie: 12:35pm On Sep 12, 2012
Basic: So far, the best Nigerian freelance writer I've come across is the author of this blog:
www.naijawriterscoach.
Even without any editorial scrutiny, his writing is just stellar. I'm not promoting him here, but I'm just telling you that he's a very good writer. Interestingly, he shares on his blog, tips on how to write well. Check out the blog, and see it for yourself.

am new on nairaland n seems u r an experienced writer.....i write too n i've wirtten jst a piece on nairaland. It's actually a story....help check it out n tell me what you feel. Sure u can view it from my profile.
Thanxx
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by 2ruink(m): 4:17pm On Sep 12, 2012
yes peeps i writed two writings that i will wanted to puted here for you peeps to readed. yes i likes to learn how to writings because i know i needs to learn from peeps like you. thank 4 your asistents
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 5:16pm On Sep 12, 2012
2ruink: yes peeps i writed two writings that i will wanted to puted here for you peeps to readed. yes i likes to learn how to writings because i know i needs to learn from peeps like you. thank 4 your asistents
Are you for real?
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by 2ruink(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
yes i likes learning. i thinks of wrote a novel of a very very good storis. i know u can thought me pls
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2012
2ruink: yes peeps i wrote two pieces of writting that i would like to put here for you peeps to read. yes it would be my pleasure to learn a thing or two from you. because i know i need to learn from people like you. thanks 4 your help
If you need ppl to help u,let's start with ur tense dude and pls learn to be polite whenever you address people you don't know and more especially when you need help.

Keep shouting m just an email away
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
2ruink: yes i likes learning. i thinks of wrote a novel of a very very good storis. i know u can thought me pls
Dude wr dd u learn english?
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Cuddlemii: 5:23am On Sep 14, 2012
@op, you did not space your write-up.

It is very important to space your write-up to make it easy for the eyes wink

When you are marketing a brand, you must ensure you conform totally with it, no careless mistakes!
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by filigees: 1:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
i would be happy to get honest criticism from you. You can visit my blog i wont even lie i'm a real amateur and i"m very guilty of breaking punctuations and spacing rules but since people are visiting and commenting i must be doing something right, right?, do reply

http://mythotsonpaper..com/
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:45pm On Sep 14, 2012
filigees: i would be happy to get honest criticism from you. You can visit my blog i wont even lie i'm a real amateur and i"m very guilty of breaking punctuations and spacing rules but since people are visiting and commenting i must be doing something right, right?, do reply

I will visit
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by 2ruink(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: Dude wr dd u learn english?
thank yo i likes wen i c u people wroting dat is why am pleading to be thought. abeg go on and teaching me i could pay for the service you know
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
2ruink:
thank yo i likes wen i c u people wroting dat is why am pleading to be thought. abeg go on and teaching me i could pay for the service you know
we hv to start with ur english
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by 2ruink(m): 11:05pm On Sep 14, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: we hv to start with ur english
i was knowing that my english is poor. that is why am interesting to know. please let's start learning now. hint me on how thanko o
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 9:54am On Sep 15, 2012
Cuddlemii: @op, you did not space your write-up.

It is very important to space your write-up to make it easy for the eyes wink

When you are marketing a brand, you must ensure you conform totally with it, no careless mistakes!

Sorry, did you read the whole post? I stated clearly the reason for the spacing and other errors - I typed the whole thing on my phone and I couldn't edit!
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 10:00am On Sep 15, 2012
filigees: i would be happy to get honest criticism from you. You can visit my blog i wont even lie i'm a real amateur and i"m very guilty of breaking punctuations and spacing rules but since people are visiting and commenting i must be doing something right, right?, do reply

From what I can deduce from your most recent post, you'll have to learn extensively on the use of punctuation, as you made many punctuation mistakes. But you've got fine grammar - not perfect though!
I advise you to download "The elements of style by J.R. Strunk". You'll get it for free online (just Google it). It's a concise but very helpful book for writers and editors.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by Basic(m): 10:02am On Sep 15, 2012
2ruink:
i was knowing that my english is poor. that is why am interesting to know. please let's start learning now. hint me on how thanko o
Now, I don't know if you're for real or you're just playing a clown. If you're joking, please stop it.
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by whiteflag: 1:59pm On Sep 15, 2012
Hi sir, I was trying to send you an email but for some odd reason the page didn't allow me to send it, hence my writing to you here.

I would be interested in writing for you.

My written diction is generally free of errors (not here but on formal writing pieces) and I do all proofreading myself.

Please contact me here if you feel that i can be of help or assistance.

Thanks

M
Re: You May Think You're A Writer When You're Not One! by BossLadyDiana(f): 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2012
Hi i would like to inquire if you have still got openings for writers;If you do I am game you can hook up with me via my email add which is dayana.eseka@yahoo.com; cheers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

#riddle# / Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. / [story] I Called It R.*.p.e (rated 18+)… Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.