Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office (18322 Views)

An Awkward Moment At The Office Today / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Displaying Family Pictures In The Office: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by nahinbdis: 8:19pm On Jul 24, 2012
I work in one of the foriegn Banks in VI. I have this close pal (a team leader) that recently started selling his wife's chin-chin in the office. I found he initially brought some for product testing in order to obtain valuable feedback for improvement. However people loved it and asked him to keep bringing and he has just started.

Thing is the guy is not broke (I know his pay and he drives an SUV). Someone commented today that he must really love the wife to do that. Another said its not so cool. I think its not so bad afterall particularly because the wife is just starting. What do you think?

4 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Acidosis(m): 9:25pm On Jul 24, 2012
Now that he drives an SUV, does it mean he can't do business again? Some bad friends can surely kill a man's dream.
No wonder Dangote keeps counting billions, even if it means frying plaintain chips, he will do it as long as there is profit.

Please bros, never let anyone discourage that man.

45 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
people should just learn to mind their own business. What does it matter if he sells his wifes chin chin or boli and epa in the office. If he were selling his wifes cocaine, then yes you can gossip about that.

Not so cool kini undecided People and their stuupid fake airs and graces. Since when did a honest days work become a crime. People are sooooooo ignorant. The owner of Tasty fried chicken started baking in her kitchen and look where she is today.

Please give that man a big hug from me. He is a man who recognizes his wifes potential and has decided to support her dream and encourage her rather than kill it.

BTW Since when did owning a SUV mean that one has totally arrived? I said it before and I am saying it again . . . some people are just soooooooo ignorant angry

23 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by tpia5: 10:25pm On Jul 24, 2012
poster

how e take concern you!!!

jeez.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by nahinbdis: 11:15pm On Jul 24, 2012
Because he is my friend.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 12:02am On Jul 25, 2012
nahinbdis: Because he is my friend.

Is he complaining or what is your own?

The guy is happy to sell his wife chin chin and you are having a conniption fit over it.

You need something to occupy your mind. . .something that affects you directly. undecided

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by mkmyers45(m): 12:37am On Jul 25, 2012
tpia@:
poster

how e take concern you!!!

jeez.

Hey did you read the op at all?

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by mkmyers45(m): 12:38am On Jul 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

The guy is happy to sell his wife chin chin and you are having a conniption fit over it.

You need something to occupy your mind. . .something that affects you directly. undecided
kindly re-read the op

3 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Claus(m): 12:46am On Jul 25, 2012
Na wa o!

Why the venom at the poster? Especially since the poster ended by saying it's not so bad.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of small/medium sized enterprises as they form the backbone of many economies. Many of them also grow to become significant having started from humble beginnings. Even though he may have a good job, the potential for the business to grow certainly makes it worthwile.

The only misgivings I would have would be if the selling of chin chin somehow affected the professional environment in the office. From management's perspective, I would probably insist that the selling only happened at lunchtime, or before/after office hours in order to keep things professional especially where external clients may visit.

8 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by armyofone(m): 1:07am On Jul 25, 2012
leave him alone. that little side money can be used to buy kortex and jabaki.

a real man with head for him shoulder, i'm sure he has a good relationship with madam.

those are the type of guys who will prefer to come home to madam than hitting niteclub drinking beer and developing pottybelle.
ezigbo mmadu carry on and don't mind what others are saying.

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 1:32am On Jul 25, 2012
mkmyers45: Hey did you read the op at all?

Why?
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by mkmyers45(m): 1:45am On Jul 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Why?

oo...you skipped it then? no prob

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 2:08am On Jul 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

oo...you skipped it then? no prob
Point is. . .

If Hubby does not mind selling the Chin Chin.

If wife does not mind making the Chin Chin for husband to sell.

And if people at work are happy to buy the chin chin wife is making for husband to sell.

. . . .if all the parties INVOLVED are happy with the arrangement. Why is OP worrying his pretty l'il head about it?

I bet if just one person had responded in a negative manner to this thread, first thing tomorrow morning OP will be trying to dissuade his friend from selling his wife's chin chin. . .despite of the fact that Hubby does not mind doing it. He would probably tell him he is embarrassing himself and he has turned to a whipped hubby blah blah blah. . .and before any of us can say flour and sugar. . .hubby will stop selling, wife is left hanging and what was once a lovely thing becomes the cause of acrimony in the home. Marriage is already complicated enough with bigger issues, why add more to the heap?

Let him leave them to their business and find something else to worry about. . .something that affects him directly.

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by rexana: 2:12am On Jul 25, 2012
NA JEALOUSY GO KILL YOU THIS MAN YOU WANT MAKE DEY ADVICE MAKE YOU START TO SELL YOU WIFE OWN PRODUCT FOR OFFICE MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 25, 2012
undecided Why do you want to crucify OP. I can read clearly that he says it`s not a bad idea before asking for your opinion. So why yall acting so wild?

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 25, 2012
Should NL now consider him less of a man just because he supports and helps advance his wife's business?

Abi, what is the basis for this story? Should we start throwing stones? undecided

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 2:37am On Jul 25, 2012
Just for the record @ Op. I think your friend is a good man for giving that kind of support to his wife.

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by braveheart2012(m): 3:48am On Jul 25, 2012
I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Besides, it's just reflects poor judgement. It's a different thing if his wife came in to the office everyday to sell her chin-chin. But the man is selling it himself? Is this the same man I am supposed to promote to a leadership position and trust to safeguard my company's resources? What will he do when he becomes office manager? Convert the office into a supermarket? How are his subordinates supposed to look-up to a man that will jeopardize his career for less than 20k naira in profits per month? This is the type of man that will sell/rent-out office property and collect bribes to make extra-money on the side. If I were his boss, I would fire him immediately.

PS - My viewpoint is very westernized (although I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have no work experience in Nigeria). Given how upside-down and backwards most of Nigeria is, it wouldn't surprise me if this type of behavior is endemic at Nigerian corporations.

18 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 4:03am On Jul 25, 2012
@Braveheart. A German friend once told me you could lose out on a business proposal for just yawning during discussions.
I`m sure no one would like to lose out that way.
TIA. This is Africa.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 4:04am On Jul 25, 2012
Brand_new: @Braveheart. A German friend once told me [b]you could lose out on a business proposal for just yawning [/b]during discussions.
I`m sure no one would like to lose out that way.
TIA. This is Africa.

lmfao cheesy cheesy

braveheart2012: I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Besides, it's just reflects poor judgement. It's a different thing if his wife came in to the office everyday to sell her chin-chin. But the man is selling it himself? Is this the same man I am supposed to promote to a leadership position and trust to safeguard my company's resources? What will he do when he becomes office manager? Convert the office into a supermarket? How are his subordinates supposed to look-up to a man that will jeopardize his career for less than 20k naira in profits per month? This is the type of man that will sell/rent-out office property and collect bribes to make extra-money on the side. If I were his boss, I would fire him immediately.

PS - My viewpoint is very westernized (although I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have no work experience in Nigeria). Given how upside-down and backwards most of Nigeria is, it wouldn't surprise me if this type of behavior is endemic at Nigerian corporations.

So true lol. Wasn't looking at it this way

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Claus(m): 4:27am On Jul 25, 2012
@braveheart2012, I like x 1000.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 25, 2012
Braveheart is right but situations like that is common place here. Lots of walk in traders do go to offices to do business and it seems to be an accepted business culture here in Nigeria.
I`m sure no business owner would like to see his employees use his property for such activities so i hope he doesn`t get fired.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 25, 2012
Looks like The poster changed his opening post. I could have sworn that He has just added the last sentence "It is not so bad" to his post.

Anyway, reading between the lines we can see that he is not so bothered about the corporate setting implications, but the worth of the chin chin, hence his reference to the guys pay and the car he drives. Something tells me that if the wife was selling Thomas Pink Shirts or suits in the office, then no one will bat an eyelid.

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by ITbomb(m): 8:52am On Jul 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

which reader did you use in primary school?
Its obvious the one you used never had any
provision for "comprehension" lessons, you
deserve a refund of any fee you paid I tell u!

3 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 25, 2012
braveheart2012: I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Pleas quit being fake!

Does the man have a showcase for his chinchin? Does he 'hawk' it in the office? Probably distributes strictly on request. I doubt if that is such a huge professional crime (even in your 'west')!

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ujujoan:

Pleas quit being fake!

Does the man have a showcase for his chinchin? Does he 'hawk' it in the office? Probably distributes strictly on request. I doubt if that is such a huge professional crime (even in your 'west')!
This is one of the poorest posts I've seen so afar on Nairaland.

If you can't see reason in BraveHeart's reply, then I feel sorry for you.

Forget about how unprofessional it is in corporate setting. Let's bring it down to a small scale business. It is outrageous to find an employee on a salary, using your premises as a front for their own business no matter how small the merchandise may seem.

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
ITbomb:
which reader did you use in primary school?
Its obvious the one you used never had any
provision for "comprehension" lessons, you
deserve a refund of any fee you paid I tell u!
Obviously it is the reader you used that should be called into question or you won't be picking on my post when many others on the same thread practically stated the same thing I did.

Now run along. . .was gonna say you should go learn comprehension but I fear it is far too late for you. My advice -Go learn how to nod your head convincingly so you can get away with feigning understanding when people talk to you.

Best of luck. smiley

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by amdman: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2012
My friend (poster Nahinbdis) just showed me this post now and I am the one he is referring to.

Wifey is currently doing her NYSC here in Lagos. We had previously resolved that she would not be going into paid employment upon completion. Because of her industrious nature, she mooted the idea of starting a catering business while she is still serving, as a learning process before going bigger. And I think any husband in a great marriage such as I have would support her.

I don’t actually ‘hawk’ the stuff in the office. Like OP said, I brought it to the office for testing and people just loved it, and asked that I keep bringing (including my supervising manager), and right now when people know that I bring, demand exceeds supply. It doesn’t affect my job at all (issues raised by Braveheart are germane) as I have drawn up a list of those interested and I just ask them if they want. However, the selling is a short term thing as there are avenues I am currently exploring that will take care of that (a bigger platform) in about 2 weeks or so.

And the truth is there is profit in it (for wifey though). She told me yesterday that she has started saving N2000 per day as untouchable profit (other profits are reinvested) and we have not even done 1% of the actual marketing and sales in our business plan. She is so anxious to start the real stuff and am the one holding her on a leash right now (so she does not put too much on her plate).

Do I really care what people think? Sometimes. But when I look at the big picture I kill those thoughts. Someday, this will be part of the testimony and it would all have been worth it.

44 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2012
@ amdman
You are a good man jare with a very very good head on your shoulders.

Best of luck in everything both you and your wife choose to embark on.

Tell her not to forget us little people when her business becomes a mega corporation oh. grin

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by WuzilistiQ(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
Abi na you dey sell am? U wan sample opinions from here or u wan carry your wife bizness enter una jala too? I thought the bank premises was suppose to be a cooperate office, u come dey open una y*arsh about una tidings for NL keep it to yourself meeehn. This wan na for FBK not NL

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 25, 2012
stereo:
This is one of the poorest posts I've seen so afar on Nairaland.

If you can't see reason in BraveHeart's reply, then I feel sorry for you.

Forget about how unprofessional it is in corporate setting. Let's bring it down to a small scale business. It is outrageous to find an employee on a salary, using your premises as a front for their own business no matter how small the merchandise may seem.

Stop displaying your ignorance. A good business man knows he has to explore ALL opportunities to market his products. The goods in question is a snack and which is something people use/take in the office - during office hours. Why do canteens exist in offices? Is that also unprofessional too?

This is a BANK and his chin-chin is not a competitor!

PS: He's not using it as a front for business. If you read the OP you'll see that he first brought samples to get his colleague's opinion. Whatever he sells now is strictly on request.

I wonder when Nigerians will quit being hypocritical!

5 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2012
amdman: My friend (poster Nahinbdis) just showed me this post now and I am the one he is referring to.

Wifey is currently doing her NYSC here in Lagos. We had previously resolved that she would not be going into paid employment upon completion. Because of her industrious nature, she mooted the idea of starting a catering business while she is still serving, as a learning process before going bigger. And I think any husband in a great marriage such as I have would support her.

I don’t actually ‘hawk’ the stuff in the office. Like OP said, I brought it to the office for testing and people just loved it, and asked that I keep bringing (including my supervising manager), and right now when people know that I bring, demand exceeds supply. It doesn’t affect my job at all (issues raised by Braveheart are germane) as I have drawn up a list of those interested and I just ask them if they want. However, the selling is a short term thing as there are avenues I am currently exploring that will take care of that (a bigger platform) in about 2 weeks or so.

And the truth is there is profit in it (for wifey though). She told me yesterday that she has started saving N2000 per day as untouchable profit (other profits are reinvested) and we have not even done 1% of the actual marketing and sales in our business plan. She is so anxious to start the real stuff and am the one holding her on a leash right now (so she does not put too much on her plate).

Do I really care what people think? Sometimes. But when I look at the big picture I kill those thoughts. Someday, this will be part of the testimony and it would all have been worth it.

Dont listen to what these hypocrites are saying. As long as it doesdn't affect your work and you don't disregard any company policy, keep doing your thing in a professional and reserved manner.

People come into banks to sell jewlries, clothes, shoes e.t.c to the workers. Why can't you sell your snack

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Parents Take Son To Court To Force Him To Get A Job / What Do You Do To A Father Who Batters And HumiliatesYour Mum In Front Of You? / There Is No Need For DNA Test, There Is Love In My Family - Woman Says (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.