Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

9jaBlogger's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9jaBlogger's Profile / 9jaBlogger's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 26 pages)

Politics / Ndukwe Must Apologize To Abia Speaker - More PDP Chieftains Tell Commissioner by 9jaBlogger: 11:28am On Jan 10, 2021
More pressure is piling on the Abia state Commissioner for Trade and Investment, Rt. Hon. Cosmos Ndukwe to apologize to the Abia Assembly Speaker Rt. Hon. (Engr) Chinedum Orji over Ndukwe’s unjustifiable attacks on the former, mid last year, IgbereTV reports.

The Deputy Chairman of Bende Local Government Council in Abia State, Hon. Promise Uzoma Okoro, Chief Ubani Dannie and other PDP stakeholders who spoke through several channels called on Ndukwe to apologize to the Abia Assembly Speaker, describing the former as a hypocrite.

This comes after the Commissioner, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, on Thursday, played host to the Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, an All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator, at his (Ndukwe) private residence in Abia.

The Bende Deputy Chairman said Ndukwe was an hypocrite to have lambasted the Abia Assembly Speaker Chinedum Orji over a courtesy call he (Chinedum) paid on the Abia-North Senator and former Abia Governor, Orji Kalu, in the past. He, therefore, demanded an apology from Ndukwe to Chinedum.

In an article entitled, ‘Time to apologize to Ikuku (Speaker Chinedum Orji)’, obtained by Igbere TV, the Bende local council deputy chairman, while calling for apology to the Speaker, his benefactor, lamented “when it concerns IKUKU, it is called betrayal, but when they are involved, they tag it condolence visit.”

He wrote; “Tentatively 7 months ago, some political jobbers went hellwire(sic), brandishing all manner of write ups against the Speaker of the Abia State House of Assembly Rt. Hon. Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji for visiting the Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu in his Abuja home.

”Notable among them were the Deputy Chief of Staff in the Office of the Deputy Governor, Sir Don Ubani, immediate past Transition Committee Chairman for Umunneochi Local Government Area, Barr Eze Chikamnayo and the current Commissioner For Trade and Investment in Abia State, Hon. Cosmos Ndukwe, among others.

“They insulted the Speaker in their write ups to the extent of calling for his Impeachment.

“The script writer in that failed attempt to incite our amiable Governor against his friend and Speaking Speaker, has been using all means humanly and spiritually possible to plead for pardon after abusing his Office.

“Today, the Commissioner for Trade and Investment Hon Cosmos Ndukwe can comfortably host Senator Orji Uzor Kalu in his Akanu Item country home and expect not to be lambasted.”

On why he was writing in official capacity as deputy chairman of a local government council, Okoro, a former media aide to the Abia Assembly Speaker, said “when they attacked my benefactor, they were all occupying sensitive government positions.”

“I am an unapologetic loyalist of Rt. Hon. Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji, therefore, it is not out of place to ask all those concerned to render apology over their insult against him,” the Bende local council deputy chairman insisted.

The visit of Senator Kalu to the home of Commissioner Ndukwe is raising eyebrows within the circles of the ruling PDP in Abia, who have given different political meanings to the visit, with rumours rife that the Commissioner may be on his way to the APC, having been seen in gatherings of the opposition party of recent.

Giving more credence to the rumour is the recent defection of top chieftains and heavyweights of the PDP in Abia to the APC led by Orji Kalu as Southeast leader amidst rumours that the State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu is warming up to join the ruling party at the national level soon.

Efforts to obtain comment from the Abia State Trade and Investment Commissioner, Hon. Cosmos Ndukwe proved abortive. When this reporter called, on Sunday, Ndukwe hung up immediately he introduced himself as a journalist with IgbereTV.

As at the time of filing this report, subsequent calls placed to Ndukwe’s phone lines went unanswered. Similarly, text messages sent to all his known phone lines were yet to be responded to even though it returned the 'message delivered' notification.

https://igberetvnews.com/1378570/must-apologize-ikuku-pdp-chieftains-tell-cosmos-ndukwe/

Politics / Re: Certificate Forgery: High Court Verdict, Victory For Rule Of Law - Obaseki by 9jaBlogger: 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2021
Lalasticlala
Politics / Certificate Forgery: High Court Verdict, Victory For Rule Of Law - Obaseki by 9jaBlogger: 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2021
The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has hailed the ruling of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on the certificate forgery case brought against him by the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Justice Ahmed Mohammed had on Saturday dismissed the case filed by the APC and a chieftain of the party, Williams Edobor, against the governor, Igbere TV reports.

In a statement forwarded to Igbere TV, in reaction to the victory, Obaseki said the judgement is a triumph of the rule of law and a testament to the fact that truth would prevail ultimately no matter how vehemently detractors push lies in the face of incontrovertible evidence.

According to the governor, “The verdict of the Federal High Court, delivered by Honourable Justice Ahmed Mohammed is well-received and a victory for the rule of law. It was a most needless attempt by desperate individuals trying to undo the will of the people through the backdoor but we are happy today that justice and truth have prevailed.”

He noted that the verdict confirms once again that Edo people were well-guided in trusting him to lead them in the September 19th governorship election, promising to continue to prioritise the development of the state not minding the darts thrown by those who are embittered by their loss and continue their attempt to put spanner in the works even when they have been roundly beaten on all fronts.

“My profound gratitude goes to the judiciary who have stood indefatigably for truth and justice; the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR); my party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); our party leaders and members; my teeming supporters; the good people of Edo State and all Nigerians.”

Igbere TV recalls that the APC and its chieftain, William Edobor had filed the suit alleging that Governor Obaseki presented a forged certificate to seek re-election in the Edo State governorship election held on September 19, 2020.

According to the plaintiffs, the said document was purportedly issued by the University of Ibadan, while the governor presented same to Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) which conducted the poll.

Obaseki, who ran on the Peoples Democratic Party platform in the poll, secured 307,955 votes to beat his rival, Mr. Osagie Ize-Iyamu of the APC, who got 223, 619 votes.

Governor Obaseki had defeated Ize-Iyamu as the APC candidate in the 2016 governorship election while the latter was the PDP candidate.

https://igberetvnews.com/1378517/obaseki-reacts-court-victory-thanks-buhari-nigerians/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / ABSUTH Turn To Kalu For Intervention Over 18 Months Unpaid Salaries by 9jaBlogger: 7:35pm On Jan 05, 2021
“The average person in Abia cannot access health care, we are pleading with you sir to come to the aid of doctors in Abia State”. Those were the words of the Abia State Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr. Okwuonu Chimezie to Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Kalu during a courtesy visit of the medical body to Kalu’s Igbere country home.

Pained by the non-payment of their 18 months salaries and other pressing issues, Igbere TV reports that Doctors of the Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH) under the NMA on Monday took their plight to the home of Kalu, a former Governor of the state.

The Doctors who spoke through the NMA lamented the deteriorating state of the teaching Hospital. According to them, due to the non-payment of their 18 months salaries, doctors in the state have become demoralised which has in turn affected Healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr. Okwuonu in his speech disclosed further that, due to the anomaly, hundreds of doctors have since migrated from the state's teaching hospital in search of greener pastures to other states and abroad.

He lamented that unlike in the past ABSUTH was no longer competitive. He emphasised that the sector had deteriorated so badly, asking Senator Kalu to intervene.

Okwuonu commended Senator Kalu's strides in the health sector during his tenure as Governor which included building and relocating ABSUTH to its permanent site, consistent payment of workers salaries amongst others.

According to Okwuonu, Senator Kalu as Governor of the state repositioned the state's health sector which produced medical doctors that are currently pioneering so many sectors of the medical field both national and international sectors.

In his words, “You built and transferred the Abia State Teaching Hospital to its current site and that teaching hospital as at the time you were the Governor of this state(Abia) produced so many medical doctors that are currently pioneering so many sectors of the medical field both national and international sectors.

“In fact one of the key neurological surgeons in the world today is a graduate of ABSUTH and a good number of them are playing key roles in the United States of America and the United Kingdom in ensuring that health care delivery is sustained in these places.”

He continued, “Our major aim for visiting you today is to intimate you of our plans to partner with you to continue to deliver health care in that teaching hospital. You may also be aware of the current state of the Teaching Hospital, it is not a hidden secret that workers in that hospital are demotivated, as we speak the medical doctors and other health care workers are owed salaries to the tune of 18 months and the motivation in ABSUTH is very poor. All the workers under the umbrella of Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) are on strike and health services have been grounded for months now.”

Okwuonu appealed to Senator Kalu to deploy his numerous influence regardless of political affiliation to intervene so that the workers salaries would be paid and to also improve the health care delivery in ABSUTH.

He said, “We know that people like you have the reach to attract NGOs and other foundations while on our side we can provide the requisite man power in any area you need it to ensure that your mission and your dreams and your lofty ideas are carried out. Another issue is we have an NMA house that we are currently building , so we need your assistance to see that the building is completed because the building will take care of the welfare of the doctors in Abia State, the building will serve as a secretariat and event center for hosting our programmes.”

In his response, the Senate Chief Whip thanked the association for the visit, disclosing his readiness to partner with the association using his Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and others to improve health care delivery in the state.

“We have a foundation that has been a lot, particularly in the health sector, recently we went on a medical outreach to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camps. We distributed drugs to vulnerable persons, so this visit is good so we can explore other areas to partner so we can do more,” he said.

On their salaries, Senator Kalu assured the association that he would reach out to the relevant stakeholders to ensure that their salaries were paid.

Speaking further, Kalu enumerated his achievements in the health sector during his eight years tenure as governor of Abia.

His words: “I awarded a 1 billion naira contract for the construction of the teaching hospital, the contractor partnered with a German company to equip the hospital to a first class standard. We promptly paid workers their salaries because we understood that when workers are duly paid the economy will grow. Unfortunately my successors failed to build on where we stopped. Democracy is redefined by the Government being guided by majority of the people not Government for the people and by the people.”

https://igberetvnews.com/1377946/absuth-turn-sen-kalu-intervention-18-months-unpaid-salaries/

2 Likes

Politics / “I Rejected N864m”, Policeman ‘Who Never Took Bribe’ Resigns Over Non-Promotion by 9jaBlogger: 8:32am On Jan 02, 2021
IGBERE TV

CSP Francis Osagie Erhabor, the policeman and divisional police officer (DPO) in charge of ‘D’ division Itam in Uyo, the capital of Akwa Ibom state, who is acclaimed to have never taken a bribe since over 30 years in active service, has resigned from the profession.

Erhabor, who made headlines after rejecting a whopping N864 million bribe, was on December 10, 2020, at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, in Abuja, during the 2020 IgbereTV Leadership Excellence Awards named ‘Police officer of the year’ after coming tops in the nationwide online voting.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with IGBERE TV on New Year day, 1st January 2021, the police officer lamented that he feels cheated by the system, having been denied promotion more than thrice despite all his efforts and sacrifices for the police force and the country.

His words: “I joined this noble profession as a cadet inspector on the 2nd of April, 1990. I was 17 years plus at the time. I was told by cerebral and seasoned Police officers like AIG Albasu, AIG Akagbosun, AIG Iyamabo, and DIG Ugowe all retired, that the force needed folks like me. Youths who were patriotic and passionate.

“I loved and believed in this project called Nigeria, and the profession, the Nigeria Police was a great platform to serve my fatherland. I sincerely believed in this job, loved this job and sacrificed so much for this job.

“Looking back, all I see is "nobody cares". Being cheated out of promotion not once, twice or thrice. Served over thirty years meritoriously and stainless by God's grace, and not honoured by the system, instead have only enjoyed promotion only 5 times. I thank God for His grace, that insulated me for the past 30yrs.”

On how he rejected N864m bribe, CSP Erhabor said, “As a pipeline Commander in Edo state, I turned down N6.5m weekly; N24m monthly; N288m yearly, and a whooping sum of N864 for the 3years I served as a commander.”

Asked if he regrets his actions, he said, “I have no regrets for doing this.” “If given the test again, I will repeat same feat, without thinking twice, even though some of my colleagues term me a fool,” CSP Erhabor added.

“I even volunteered as an instructor, to train Police Mobile Personnel at Limakara, Gwoza, Borno State for over 3 years. Discharged my duty as an instructor, in the most harshest and difficult condition, without any commendation reward, or promotion, and today only for just working within the corridors of power; or being able to grease some palms or, as claimed, being attacked because of #EndSARS, Juniors will just be promoted above their superiors just like that.”

He said he feel hurt seeing his junior police officers promoted over him, insisting nothing had been done by the Force despite the formal complaints where he asked for the ratification of his promotion.

“I have witnessed my juniors get promoted over me over and over again, and it hurts deeply. I filed a complaint, asked for ratification of my promotion date, and was even investigated, with the outcome verified in my favour, yet nothing has been done to remedy the situation.”

‘I have wasted 30 years serving my fatherland’

CSP Francis Erhabor said he feels he has wasted 30 years of his precious time serving his ‘fatherland’, in a police profession he once believed to be a “noble” one.

According to Erhabor, rather, the system rewards mediocrity, nepotism, and all other ignoble acts and care less about those who tread on the path of dignity and honour.

“This profession I once called a noble one, doesn't care about those of us who tread the path of honour and dignity. I once had a dream about the the Nigeria Police Force, becoming the people's force; the country's pride. So sad, I no longer believe in the system as a noble one, but one were mediocrity, nepotism, and all other ignoble acts are given higher preference.

“I am sorry I let all my fans down. I am deeply sorry for not finishing where you all expected me to finish. Thanks for your strong and relentless faith in me. I remain forever grateful to you all,” CSP Erhabor added.

https://igberetvnews.com/1377616/breaking-rejected-n864m-policeman-never-took-bribe-resigns-non-promotion/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Chima Anyaso Visits Kalu, Joins him for Alex Ikwechegh's Xmas Get-together (Pix) by 9jaBlogger: 8:36am On Dec 28, 2020
Lalasticlala

Politics / Chima Anyaso Visits Kalu, Joins him for Alex Ikwechegh's Xmas Get-together (Pix) by 9jaBlogger: 8:35am On Dec 28, 2020
Chima Anyaso Visits Sen Kalu, Joins him for Alex Ikwechegh's Xmas Get-together (Photos)

Igbere town was set alight on Saturday as prominent billionaire industrialist, philanthropist and politician, Hon. Chima Anyaso paid his fellow kinsman and Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu a courtesy visit at his palatial Camp Neya country home.

Igbere TV reports that the arrival of Chima triggered excitement amongst staff and non-staff within the premises of Senator Kalu's home. The workers who got wind of Chima's presence expressed their excitement with shouts of joy, while others rendered various forms of praises recounting his numerous philanthropic gestures.

Chima Anyaso who also hails from Igbere, the hometown of the Senate Chief Whip asides being a politician, is a Nigerian Entrepreneur and Hotelier popularly known for his foray in the Nigerian downstream oil and gas sector.

Igbere TV recalls that Chima in 2019 won the nomination to represent the people of Bende Federal constituency in Abia under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), but however, didn't succeed during the general elections. The seat is currently occupied by Hon. Benjamin Kalu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who doubles as spokesman of the House.

Meanwhile, on entry, Chima and his entourage proceeded to Kalu's expansive furnished sitting room. On sighting the Chief Whip, fellow kinsman and Senatorial representative Hon. Chima expressed his excitement greeting Kalu with a bow and other respectable pleasantries.

Our correspondent who monitored the visit reports that Senator Orji Kalu welcomed Chima and his entourage, and engaged them briefly before heading for a private discussion with Chima which held in Kalu's private office.

Shortly after the meeting, Senator Kalu invited Chima to join him in his official vehicle to attend the annual Christmas party organised by popular businessman and Igbere born philanthropist, Chief (Hon) Alex Ikwechegh.

https://igberetvnews.com/1376940/chima-anyaso-visits-senator-kalu-joins-xmas-get-together-photos/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Chima Anyaso Visits Senator Kalu, Joins Him For Xmas Get-together (Photos) by 9jaBlogger: 7:48am On Dec 28, 2020
Lalasticlala

Politics / Chima Anyaso Visits Senator Kalu, Joins Him For Xmas Get-together (Photos) by 9jaBlogger: 7:47am On Dec 28, 2020
Igbere town was set alight on Saturday as prominent billionaire industrialist, philanthropist and politician, Hon. Chima Anyaso paid his fellow kinsman and Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu a courtesy visit at his palatial Camp Neya country home.

Igbere TV reports that the arrival of Chima triggered excitement amongst staff and non-staff within the premises of Senator Kalu's home. The workers who got wind of Chima's presence expressed their excitement with shouts of joy, while others rendered various forms of praises recounting his numerous philanthropic gestures.

Chima Anyaso who also hails from Igbere, the hometown of the Senate Chief Whip asides being a politician, is a Nigerian Entrepreneur and Hotelier popularly known for his foray in the Nigerian downstream oil and gas sector.

Igbere TV recalls that Chima in 2019 won the nomination to represent the people of Bende Federal constituency in Abia under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), but however, didn't succeed during the general elections. The seat is currently occupied by Hon. Benjamin Kalu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who doubles as spokesman of the House.

Meanwhile, on entry, Chima and his entourage proceeded to Kalu's expansive furnished sitting room. On sighting the Chief Whip, fellow kinsman and Senatorial representative Hon. Chima expressed his excitement greeting Kalu with a bow and other respectable pleasantries.

Our correspondent who monitored the visit reports that Senator Orji Kalu welcomed Chima and his entourage, and engaged them briefly before heading for a private discussion with Chima which held in Kalu's private office.

Shortly after the meeting, Senator Kalu invited Chima to join him in his official vehicle to attend the annual Christmas party organised by popular businessman and Igbere born philanthropist, Chief (Hon) Alex Ikwechegh.

https://igberetvnews.com/1376940/chima-anyaso-visits-senator-kalu-joins-xmas-get-together-photos/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Sen Lawan Bags Chieftaincy Title In Igbere, Orji Kalu’s Hometown (photos) by 9jaBlogger: 6:37am On Dec 28, 2020
Lalasticlala

Politics / Sen Lawan Bags Chieftaincy Title In Igbere, Orji Kalu’s Hometown (photos) by 9jaBlogger: 6:37am On Dec 28, 2020
Traditional rulers in Igbere under the auspices of Igbere traditional council, have conferred the 'Nwanne Di Na Mba(a friend in Diaspora) 1 of Igbere Kingdom' title on President of the Senate, Dr Ahmad Lawan.

The conferment was on Sunday December 27 at the 10th year Remembrance Anniversary/Memorial Service of late Chief Johnson Uzor Kalu, father of Senator Orji Kalu, at Igbere, Bende local government of Abia State.

Announcing the conferment, while decorating the Senate President, Igbere TV reports that the traditional rulers said the honour was in recognition and appreciating Lawan for always standing with their son, Kalu.

Accepting the recognition and honour, the Senate President said he was happy to always identify with Senator Kalu, whom he described as childhood friend and former roommate at the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID).

He commended the political leaders in attendance for putting party difference aside and honouring Kalu's late father, adding, "we can achieve more when united" as "Nigeria needs each and everyone to be better."

With the latest title as a 'friend from Diaspora' in Igbere Kingdom, Senator Ahmad Lawan openly declared that he is now a son of the soil with a promise to always associate with Igbere, and the Abia North senatorial district.

Dignitaries at the event included the Senate President Ahmad Lawan, Governors Hope Uzodinma, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and David Umahi of Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi State respectively.

Others were former Chief of Army Staff, General Azubuike Ihejirika (rtd.); Minister of Technology, Chief Ogbonanya Onu, Senators T.A Orji and Eyinanya Abaribe of Abia Central and South senatorial districts respectively.

Also present were former Abia chief of staff, Chief Mascot Uzor Kalu; Philanthropist, Alex Ikwechegh; PDP chieftain, Dr. Chima Anyaso; House of Reps deputy whip, Hon. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha and Reps spokesman, Hon. Benjamin Kalu, amongst others.

Igbere TV reports that the Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development and APC candidate in the 2019 Abia governorship election, Dr. Uchechukwu Sampson Ogah, represented the President, Muhammadu Buhari at the event.

Earlier during a sermon to mark the memorial service, the prelate of the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria, His Eminence, Nzie Nsi Eke described late Pa Johnson Uzor Kalu as an accomplished man who lived an impeccable lifestyle while alive.

IGBERE TV recalls that Pa Johnson Uzor Kalu who died in 2010 lived for 90 years.

https://igberetvnews.com/1376866/sen-lawan-bags-chieftaincy-title-igbere-orji-kalus-hometown-photos/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Visits Popular Cleric, Rev. Uma Ukpai (photos) by 9jaBlogger: 6:05pm On Dec 26, 2020
Lalasticlala
Politics / Sen. Orji Kalu Visits Popular Cleric, Rev. Uma Ukpai (photos) by 9jaBlogger: 6:05pm On Dec 26, 2020
Chief Whip of the Senate and former Governor of Abia State, Senator (Dr) Orji Uzor Kalu, on Saturday, paid a courtesy visit to revered Christian leader and preacher, Reverend Uma Ukpai.

Igbere TV reports that Kalu's visit to the clergyman comes shortly after departing St. Anthony’s Parish Amaekpu, Ohafia, for the homecoming reception of Most Rev Michael Kalu Ukpong, the Auxiliary Bishop of Umuahia Diocese.

The Abia-North Senator arrived the Ohafia hilltop residence of the popular evangelist at exactly 12:30 pm and proceeded to the inner chamber where he and the Cleric spent few minutes in a brief engagement before taking his leave at exactly 1:00 PM.

Details later....

https://igberetvnews.com/1376785/just-sen-kalu-visits-popular-cleric-rev-uma-ukpai-photos/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Kankara: Garba Shehu Apologises For Saying Only 10 Students Were Kidnapped by 9jaBlogger: 9:44am On Dec 19, 2020
K
Health / Re: ‘We're Overwhelmed’, FG Raises Alarm Over Spike In COVID-19 Cases by 9jaBlogger: 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2020
Shortly..
Health / ‘We're Overwhelmed’, FG Raises Alarm Over Spike In COVID-19 Cases by 9jaBlogger: 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2020
...Calls For Strict Enforcement Of Compliance Protocols

The President Muhammadu Buhari led federal government has raised the alarm over the spike in coronavirus (COVID-19) cases across the country.

The alarm was raised by the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

At the meeting, held virtually, members of the NEC said they decided to act on the strict enforcement of measures to contain the spread of the disease across the country.

In a resolution released after the meeting attended by State Governors, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory and other federal ministers, the Council noted that it "is alarmed that the current trends are now approaching or surpassing the levels reached during the lockdown imposed at the height of the epidemic earlier in the year."

In the resolution forwarded to Igbere TV, the NEC announced the enlargement of membership of its Ad-Hoc Committee on COVID-19, while mandating it to urgently come up with additional measures to deal with the spike in cases.

NEC noted that, “The country is now experiencing a huge resurgence of COVID-19 patients needing intensive care and the existing health facilities are fast becoming overwhelmed.”

The Committee chaired by the Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa with the Governors of Lagos, Bauchi, Plateau, Kano, Anambra and the FCT Minister, has now been enlarged with the addition of the Governors of Ogun and Kaduna.

The Minister of Health is also a member of the Committee, while the Federal Ministers of Information and Youth and Sports have also been asked to join.

Osinbajo is constitutionally the chairman of NEC which meets monthly to deliberate on the coordination of economic planning and programmes of various levels of government.

NEC comprises the 36 state governors, Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Minister of Finance, Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, and other relevant government officials whose duties hinged on the economy.

Today's meeting anchored from the Yellow Room, Office of the Vice President, was the seventh for the year as the nation strives to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://igberetvnews.com/1375706/overwhelmed-fg-raises-alarm-spike-covid-19-cases/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Politics / Re: Edo 2020: “Meet Us In Appeal Court”, APC Tells Obaseki by 9jaBlogger: 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2020
Lalasticlala
Politics / Edo 2020: “Meet Us In Appeal Court”, APC Tells Obaseki by 9jaBlogger: 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2020
The All Progressives Congress (APC) says it was prepared to meet Governor Godwin Obaseki at the Court of Appeal over a case of forgery and perjury preferred against him by the Party and William Edobor at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

Chief Akin Olujimi who is the counsel to the plaintiffs (APC, Edobor) told the court today that his interest was for the case to be heard and that he would appear at the court of appeal tomorrow for the continuation of the case.

The plaintiffs in the suit marked FHC/B/CS/74/2020, sighted by Igbere TV, prayed the court for an order disqualifying Obaseki from contesting the September 19 Edo governorship election on the grounds that he supplied false information on oath to INEC, an act said to be contrary to Section 31(5) and (6) of the Electoral Act, 2010.

They accused the governor of forging his university certificate presented to INEC in aid of his qualification for the governorship election in Edo State. The plaintiffs also claimed that there are discrepancies in the subject Obaseki claimed he passed in his West African Examinations Council (WAEC) exam.

Igbere TV had reported how Obaseki through his lawyer Ken Mozia, SAN applied to the Federal High Court to expunge some pleadings of the plaintiffs; an application the court declined.

Obaseki thereafter approached the appellate court to challenge the refusal and decision of the high court to expunge some paragraphs in the APC's reply to his affidavit and applied for a stay of proceedings and for the matter to be adjourned sine die (indefinitely) at the Federal High Court pending the determination of the appeal.

However, Chief Akin Olujimi, who argued for the APC urged the court to dismiss Obaseki's motion for indefinite adjournment of the certificate forgery suit on the grounds that it was a pre-election matter and was bound by time.

Olujimi contended that since the case had a life span of 180 days that would terminate by January 2021, it was in the interest of justice for the court to continue with proceedings.

His words, “Notwithstanding the documents produced by Obaseki in support of his request for sine die adjournment, this court is still endowed with jurisdiction to proceed with hearing in this certificate forgery suit.

“This court is bound to continue with the hearing since the suit is sui generis. Nothing shall be done to clog the smooth wheel of proceedings in a suit of this nation especially in line with fourth alteration act.”

But the application by the Governor for a permanent stay of prosecution scaled through on Wednesday, further dimming his opportunity to clear his name after a worrisome delay tactics since he was first charged with certificate forgery and perjury pre-Edo state governorship election in September 19th, this year.

He should have been prosecuted in 2016, when the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) noticed the discrepancies in Obaseki’s academic records but the case suffered tactical delay and was later struck out after the expiration of its statutory days of 180 days.

The PDP had embarked on a vicious political campaign against the Governor – to pillory him in the court of public opinion, yet never gave him the opportunity to clear his name.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed in a ruling on Wednesday late afternoon said the court was not in doubt that an appeal had been lodged and both counsel conceded. Whether to proceed with the main suit or stay proceedings – the Judge said, “this court is not prepare to go on a collision course with the court of appeal and the suit is adjourned” to allow the appellate court determine the case before it.

https://igberetvnews.com/1375470/edo-2020-meet-us-appeal-court-tomorrow-apc-tells-obaseki/

1 Like

Politics / Re: FG Approves Five-Year Plan To Reduce Hunger, Malnutrition by 9jaBlogger: 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2020
Ok
Politics / Re: Osinbajo Discusses Nigeria-UK Post BREXIT Relations With Johnson’s Trade Envoy by 9jaBlogger: 5:52pm On Dec 15, 2020
VP (academics)

1 Like

Politics / Re: Insecurity: Senate Summons Defence Minister, Service Chiefs, Others by 9jaBlogger: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2020
The won't come ee
Like PMB, like service chiefs.

8 Likes

Celebrities / Re: Uganda: Omah Lay, Tems 'Il Be Home Soon, Mr P AssuresAssures by 9jaBlogger: 3:04pm On Dec 15, 2020
Lalasticlala
Celebrities / Uganda: Omah Lay, Tems 'Il Be Home Soon, Mr P AssuresAssures by 9jaBlogger: 3:04pm On Dec 15, 2020
Singer Peter Okoye aka Mr P of the defunct P Square music group, says artiste Omah Lay and Tems who are currently in police custody in Uganda, would soon be home.

The musician in a post on his Twitter page, sighted by Igbere TV, noted that there has been major progress with the situation and the music stars are expected to be on their way back to Nigeria soon.

"Good morning guys! Just to inform you all that there’s a huge progress now and @Omah_Lay and #Tems will be on their way back home soon! Pls let’s all be calm! Thanks,” he wrote.

https://twitter.com/PeterPsquare/status/1338754930664992769?s=19

Igbere TV recalls that the trio of Stanley Didia, aka Omah Lay; Temilade Openyi, alias Ms Tems; and Muyiwa Awomiyi were arrested in Uganda.

Omah Lay was later remanded at the Kitalya prison and Ms Tems at Kigo prison - both in Uganda.

They were charged in a magistrate court in Makindye, Uganda, on Monday for “negligently doing acts likely to spread an infectious disease C/S 171 of the Penal Code Act.”

They were jointly charged with four other Ugandans and remanded till Wednesday.

The crew got arrested in Uganda by Katwe Police after performing at a concert in the country.

The concert is said to contravene President Museveni’s directives on social gatherings in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The president placed a ban on all music concerts, closed down bars, banned fans at all sporting events and reduced the number of people who could attend church services.

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44
Health / Re: 26 Soldiers Test Positive For COVID-19 As Army Fumigates Headquarters by 9jaBlogger: 12:09pm On Dec 15, 2020
Hmmm. N30bn cost
Politics / Re: Sani Tells FG: Hasten Efforts Before Boko Haram Moves Students Across Border by 9jaBlogger: 10:44am On Dec 15, 2020
Hmmm
Foreign Affairs / Re: US Electoral College To Confirm Biden's Win Today by 9jaBlogger: 9:23am On Dec 14, 2020
Good
Politics / Re: Ayade Orders Demolition Of Armed Robbers And Kidnappers’ Houses by 9jaBlogger: 9:15am On Dec 14, 2020
Good
Politics / Re: I'll Quit Active Politics In 2023, Ex-abia Governor, Sen. Orji Insists by 9jaBlogger: 8:08am On Dec 13, 2020
Lalasticlala
Politics / I'll Quit Active Politics In 2023, Ex-abia Governor, Sen. Orji Insists by 9jaBlogger: 8:08am On Dec 13, 2020
Former Governor of Abia State and Senator representing Abia Central Senatorial District, Senator T.A. Orji, has for the umpteenth time restated his commitment to quit politics in 2023 “for the younger ones to take over”.

The Senator stated this Friday at the traditional wedding ceremony of former Miss Somtochukwu Favour Ezebuiro and Prince Nnanna Orji held at Umuajatta Olokoro in Umuahia South LGA, Igbere TV reports.

He told his listeners, “your future as Abians is bright. I have since decided to quit politics in 2023 so as to give way for all of you. If I don’t quit, there won’t be space for you. But I have to quit so that you can take over.

“I’ll support you in every way possible. You have all been supporting me since the inception of my political career, thank you so much for that; it’s the for me to support you in your own careers, too.”

While admonishing the couple, Senator T.A. Orji said they should focus on the Lord for all they need for their marriage to work stating that “the future is bright not only for them but also for every young Abian”.

“I congratulate you on this successful traditional wedding ceremony. Let me assure you that the future is bright. Don’t be afraid! The Lord will take control of everything”, the senator said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 26 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.