Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

9jaroof's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9jaroof's Profile / 9jaroof's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

Politics / Re: Some Nigerians Call Me Baba Go Slow - President Buhari (VIDEO) by 9jaroof(m): 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
I love this man, For he is unlike others, he dont lie!!!
Politics / Read President Buhari’s Full Speech At US Institute Of Peace by 9jaroof(m): 9:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
I am delighted to be here this morning, and I wish to thank the United States Institute for Peace (USIP), the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), the Atlantic Council, the National Democratic Institute (NDI), the International Republican Institute (IRI), and the International Foundation of Electoral Systems (IFES) for providing me with this platform to share with this distinguished audience of eminent personalities, my hopes and thoughts about my country, Nigeria.
2.​The think tanks that came together to organize today’s event are by no means new to Nigeria. Several of them and a good number of individuals have, over the years, organized meetings and symposia to shed light on diverse issues pertaining to Nigeria. Others, like the NDI, IRI, and IFES have for a long period been partners in Nigeria’s electoral processes.
3.​The contributions of the IRI, NDI and IFES to the success of the 2015 general elections in Nigeria are well documented. I would like to use this opportunity to thank them for their partnership and support to the democratization process in Nigeria. Your doggedness, in calling a spade a spade in 2003, 2007 and 2011 have been greatly appreciated by us Nigerians who are dedicated to ensuring free and fair elections in our country. My appreciation also goes to the CSIS, USIP, and the Atlantic Council for their continued engagement and interest in Nigeria. The unique perspectives and clarity you bring to bear on your analyses of contemporary issues in Nigeria are of profound importance to my country. Thank you for the interest you have consistently shown on elections in our country.
4.​Naturally, being far removed from the arena of action, and not being participants in the events you analyze on a regular basis, has its own pitfalls, the most common being arm-chair analysts. Let me illustrate with just one example. In the months leading up to the recent general elections in Nigeria, very few in the mass media and the policy community here in Washington gave Nigeria as little as half a chance to pull through. All over this city, the common view held and frequently expressed was of Nigeria on the brink.
5.​As far as the critics and doomsday merchants were concerned, Nigeria’s end was the 2015 general elections. Nigeria was not expected to make it. The general perception was that Nigeria would be undone by violent and disputed elections riven with deep ethnic and religious divisions.
6.​You all know what happened. Nigeria confounded the pessimists and its critics. All those who predicted the worst possible post-election scenarios for Nigeria missed the mark by very wide margins, because the premises upon which their narratives were based were simply wrong.
7.​The peaceful conduct and outcome of the 2015 general elections attest to the fact that elections in Africa can be conducted in a free, fair and credible manner, just like in any other part of the world. Those elections were different from previous ones, not only because citizens were allowed to vote, but more importantly, because their votes counted. I must therefore, salute the patriotism and commitment of the Nigerian people who conducted themselves peacefully and responsibly during and after the elections. Similarly, I must also commend the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the civil society organizations, and other non-state actors for their various efforts at improving the electoral process and entrenching the democratic culture.
8.​I would like to seize this opportunity also, to once again, pay tribute to my predecessor, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for his uncommon display of statesmanship in setting the pace for Africa. His conduct and outlook in the aftermath of the elections have further proven that the African electoral system is gaining strength and maturity.
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,
9.​Important lessons are being learned from the successful conduct of those elections. Our electoral processes are evolving. Nigerians of all political leanings recognize that there is much work to be done to improve electoral transparency and the integrity of elections. I feel confident that, going forward, our electoral body will apply lessons learned to improve its processes, including the use of appropriate technologies in the conduct of elections, and innovative approaches to voter education. To this end, I intend to raise the cost of impunity by working with the National Assembly to strengthen our electoral laws in ways that would provide stiffer penalties against all forms of electoral malpractices. The enforcement of the laws would equally be given greater impetus.
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,
10.​On the issue of terrorism, Nigerians have lived with fear and insecurity for far too long. The human and material costs of the insurgency in my country and to my people are staggering and unacceptable.
11.​Defeating Boko Haram and finding a durable solution to the underlying causes of the insecurity in Nigeria are therefore a major priority of the new administration. Nigerians understand that terrorism stifles development and undermines the stability of society. The Government that I lead is committed, and will do whatever it takes, to free Nigeria from the menace of terrorism. No matter how long it takes, we will reclaim every inch of Nigerian territory that is under the control of Boko Haram. We shall continue to do these within the framework of the rule of law and in compliance with our international and domestic human rights obligations.
12.​Let me emphasize that, as a Government, we have no illusions whatsoever about the enormity of the challenges ahead of us. We know that it will be a long and bruising struggle, but this is a fight we are in to win. Failure is not an option for us. We do not contemplate it.
13.​In the first week of my presidency, I visited Chad and Niger to strengthen cooperation within the Lake Chad Basin Commission Members, the primary region of the Boko Haram insurgency. Upon my return to Nigeria from the US, I shall visit Cameroon on the 29th of July to further strengthen our sub-regional efforts at countering terrorism. Already, I have released twenty-one million US Dollars ($21 million) for the rapid take-off of the Multi-National Joint Task Force. This is the force set up by the countries of the Lake Chad Basin Commission, comprising Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria plus Benin to jointly combat the insurgency.
14.​We are confident that we will defeat terrorism in our country and region, because we have the will to win this fight. We will win because we have the support of the Nigerian people who voted us into office to do things differently in order to secure them from harm and provide for their prosperity and well being. We will win because the United States and indeed, the International Community have pledged to stand with us in solidarity.
15.​But winning the battle against terrorism means we have to do things differently; after all, the race for the future will never be won by going backward or standing still. Winning means we must change our strategy in a manner that will prioritize the mobilization of maximum capacity to fight terrorism, while ensuring the safety and protection of local communities in the frontline of the fight against terrorism. We are also improving cooperation and coordination with our neighbours and other international partners to add depth and muscle to our overall strategy.
16.​In our efforts at combating the activities of Boko Haram, the new Government has sought and obtained the support of not only our neighbours other international friends and partners. Regrettably, the blanket application of the Leahy Law by the United States on the grounds of unproven allegations of human rights violations levelled against our forces has denied us access to appropriate strategic weapons to prosecute the war against the insurgents. In the face of abduction of innocent school girls from their hostels, indiscriminate bombings of civilians in markets and places of worship, our forces have remained largely impotent because they do not possess the appropriate weapons and technology which they could have had, had the so called human rights violations not been an obstacle.
17.​Unwittingly, and I dare say, unintentionally, the application of the Leahy law amendment by the U. S. Government has aided and abated the Boko Haram terrorist group in the prosecution of its extremist ideology and hate, the indiscriminate killings and maiming of civilians, in raping of women and girls, and in their other heinous crimes. I believe this is not the spirit of the Leahy Laws. I know the American people cannot support any group engaged in these crimes.
18.​I therefore strongly appeal to both the Executive Arm and the US Congress to examine how the US Government can provide us with far more substantial counter-terrorism assistance with minimal strings. The longer we delay, the deadlier the Boko Haram gets. At all events, we have re-written the rules of engagement protecting the rights of combatants and in particular safeguarding civilians in theatres of conflict.
19.​As we ramp up our efforts to defeat Boko Haram, we know that winning this battle sustainably will require that we expand economic opportunities and create jobs for our teeming young population. We must also improve the quality of governance; ensure that governments at all levels are responsive, inclusive, transparent and accountable, and that public institutions deliver services in a timely and efficient manner. We must win and sustain the trust of the people we govern.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
20.​The fight against corruption is a full time job that the Federal Government will carry with sustained resolve. I have always maintained zero tolerance for corruption. I am even more committed to fighting this number one enemy decisively because I am convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the much needed impetus for our country’s survival is held back by corruption. I will not allow this to continue. Again, as with every action of the government that I lead, we would be fair, just, and scrupulously follow due process, and the rule of law, as enshrined in our Constitution. I will lead by example to ensure the prudent management of Nigeria’s resources. The government will plug the leakages that fuel corruption in Nigeria.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
21.​I believe that the future of Nigeria, indeed the future of Africa, lies in democratic governance, not only because it is the expression of the will of the people, but because democracy can help us build fair, just and inclusive societies. Only in a democracy can Africa’s numerous ethnic, cultural and religious diversities find harmonious expression, and the freedoms and opportunities that come with it.
22.​The Federal Government is well aware that building a strong economy will help us build a prosperous, stable, and secure country; a nation where democracy will thrive, businesses will flourish, and where citizens can live and pursue their dreams with dignity and freedom under the protection of the law. I believe the United States can help the democratization process gain roots by investing in the expansion of our educational, health and economic opportunities for the millions of our youth.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
23.​Fixing Nigeria’s problems, as formidable as they are, is the responsibility of Nigerians. The international community can only assist, but the hard work belongs to Nigerians and their government. I will as President, lead from the front, but all Nigerians, including the opposition parties, civil society, business and religious leaders, public servants, labourunions, the youth and professional associations all have important roles to play to get our country back on a sound economic footing.
24.​The political opposition must see itself as an integral part in ensuring development and good governance for the citizenry. Governance in a democracy is always a shared responsibility, a fact underscored by the current power configuration in Nigeria in which the opposition parties not only has a strong representation in the National Assembly, but also control 14 out of the 36 states in our federal arrangement. In the United states the Republicans are in fact in control of both Houses of Congress.
25.​Ladies and Gentlemen, let me end by restating here that, despite our current challenges, Nigeria’s commitment to good governance, anti-corruption, democracy and security of lives and property remains firm. Similarly, I must reaffirm that despite the current challenges that we face domestically, we are ready and willing to face our duties to international peace, stability, security and development as we have done in the past. We shall not shirk our international responsibilities and obligations; we shall do what is expected of us.

http://www.naijaroof.com/2015/07/22/read-president…itute-of-peace/

Cc lalasticlala
Politics / Pres. Buhari Arrives United State, See His Agenda by 9jaroof(m): 12:29am On Jul 20, 2015
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari, Sunday, arrived the Joint Base Andrews Airport, Washington DC, to begin his four-day official visit to the United States.

With him is an official entourage of 33, including his son, Yusuf.buhari arrival

On the President’s entourage are Governors Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, Nasarawa; Adams Oshiomhole, Edo; Kashim Shettima, Borno; and Godwin Emefiele, CBN.

Others are Abiola Ajimobi, Rotimi Amaechi, Senator Hadi Sirika, Ambassador Paul Bulus Z, Ambassador Ayodele Oke, Alhaji Aliyu Ismaila, Ambassador A. A. Musa, Ambassador. G. B. Igali, Aliyu Yahaya Gusau, Dr. Mahmud Mohammed, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Ismaila Isa Funtua, Mr. Femi Adesina and Dr. Sanusi Rafindadi.

The rest are Malam Garba, Mohammed Sarki, Kalu Abba-Snr, Ambassador Lawal A. Kazaure, Air Commodore N. B. Bali, Nura Rimi, Bashir Abubakar, Lt. Col. M. Lawal Abubakar, Abdulkarim Dauda, Yau Abdullahi, Sabiu Yusuf, Yusuf Maiyaki, Adamu Sambo, Emmanuel Anrihi, Bayo Omoboriowo, Baba Ujah, Lawal Mato (Snr), Gbenga Folagbade and Shehu Lawal Abubakar.

He was welcomed at the White House with a breakfast meeting of five at the Naval Observatory, the official residence of the US Vice President, Senator Joe Biden.

Apart from issues of common interest to Nigeria and the US such as security and trade, one of the high points of the visit is Buhari’s expected lecture at the United States Institute of Peace, USIP, Thursday.

The lecture, which would have been held last February at the peak of the March 28 presidential campaigns, will offer Buhari an opportunity to highlight his policy direction and expectations to a large audience of US policy makers, academics, business leaders, and Nigerians in the Diaspora.

Among other engagements, President Buhari will hold talks with Dr. Muhammad Ali Pate of the World Health Organisation, WHO, on economic assistance programme for the North-East and other important stakeholders on Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, a bilateral meeting with Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, US Trade Representative, Michael Froman.

The President will also hold talks on corruption with Loretta Lynch, US Attorney General; talks on strengthening the Nigerian economy with Jack Lew, US Secretary of the Treasury, Governor of the Central Bank, Godwin Emefiele, Permanent Secretary, MFA and Director General of the Budget as part of his team.

Apart from receiving in audience the US Black Caucus in the House of Representatives, Buhari will be at the Capitol Hill, the equivalent of the National Assembly, holding sessions with the Senate and House committees on Foreign Affairs, with lunch hosted by US Secretary of State, John Kerry.

After his meeting with the US Director of the CIA, President Buhari will host his colleagues of the Class of 1980 of the US Army War College at the Nigerian Embassy and later meet with a group of potential investors in the agricultural sector, among others.

http://www.naijaroof.com/2015/07/19/pres-buhari-ar…see-his-agenda/
Cc lalasticlala
Politics / Military Reportedly Restores Checkpoints Across The Country by 9jaroof(m): 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
The Nigerian military has started restoring checkpoints across the country following the recent clarifications by the National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), that President Muhammadu Buhari never ordered the dismantling of all the roadblocks.

Clarifying the need for the checkpoints, the Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Col. Sani Usman, confirmed the development saying that the restored checkpoints are merely 'snap checkpoints'.'What we have in those areas are not permanent checkpoints without a time line but a snap one based on the prevailing security situation,' Usman said.

Speaking further, Usman said, 'The directive was that those checkpoints that were not necessary should be removed forthwith and that was complied with. However, the language is that the Chief Of Army Staff should use his discretion to remove all those checkpoints that are not necessary but that those in the North-east and South-south, for obvious security reasons should not be removed.

'The COAS has gone further to direct all the General Commanding Officers (GOCs) and other Commanders to discuss with the respective state governments where they are involved in internal security operations on how to apply this.

'This is because whenever there is serious security threats there can be snap re-establishment of the checkpoints,', Usman explained.

Speaking in the same vein, the COAS, Lt-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, said, 'So the road blocks and check points will remain in certain areas. And in the areas where they cause hardship for citizens we are taking steps to ensure that they are presented in such a way that citizens experience less hardship.'
http://naijaroof.com/2015/07/11/military-repor…ss-the-country/ ‎
cc lalasticlala
Politics / Pres. Buhari Rejects Proposal To Buy N400m Armoured Mercedes Benz S-600 Cars by 9jaroof(m): 5:06am On Jul 10, 2015
A Presidency source has informed that President Muhammadu Buhari turned down a Federal Government proposition to procure five new armoured Mercedes Benz S-600 (V222) cars for his use.

The source told journalists in Abuja on Thursday, July 9, that Buhari learnt about the procurement plan when the Permanent Secretary, State House, Nebolisa Emodi, was briefed him of his ministry’s activities on Wednesday.

The President was said to have described the procurement as unnecessary and a waste of scarce resources.

According to the Villa source, Buhari said that the cars he inherited from former President Goodluck Jonathan are good enough for him.

“I don’t need any new cars. The ones I am using now are just fine,” the source quoted the President as saying.

It was gathered that the proposal to procure the new cars was first made to Jonathan before he left office.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/07/10/pres-buhari-re…-armoured-cars/ ‎

Cc lalasticlala
Politics / US Will Provide Lethal Weapons To Nigerian Military To Fight Boko Haram by 9jaroof(m): 10:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
The United States government has restated its commitment to assist Nigeria in the fight against Boko Haram and rescue the Chibok girls.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, and the Commander United States Africa Command (USAAFRICOM), General David Rodriguez, made this known in a joint online press conference.

Thomas-Greenfield said President Muhammadu Buhari is going to be in Washington later this month for meetings with the administration.

"And we will have discussions with him on what we can do to continue to assist Nigeria and their effort to fight against Boko Haram.

"Part of that discussion will be how we can provide the equipment and support that Nigerians require.

"Part of what we will do is to engage with the new government, we will have discussion on what we can do to continue to assist Nigeria in the fight against Boko Haram.

"Human rights are an important value for the United States and in any place that we are providing lethal weapons.

"We want to know that the miiltaries that we are providing those weapons to do not use that in a way that violates the human rights of ordinary civilians so we will have that discussion moving forward,” she said.

Thomas-Greenfield said the U.S. government will discuss these issues with the Nigerian government, adding that they will also discuss how to better prepare Nigerian military to support communities.

"And build confidence in communities and not be victimised by the efforts of the military in the fight against Boko Haram.’’

Thomas-Green also said that the rescue of the abducted Chibok girls is high priority for the U.S. government.

"This has been an extremely high priority for the U.S. government to assist in bringing these girls home and also hundreds of other girls and young boys who were forcefully abducted by Boko Haram.

"We will not let up on our efforts; we will continue to work with the government.’’

She commended Buhari and his wife for visiting their families and letting them know they have not been forgotten.

On his part, Rodriguez said the U.S. has continued to share intelligence with the Nigerian leadership, about the Chibok girls as well as other people who have been taken by Boko Haram.

"We will continue to do that and pursue the effort of rescuing the girls.’’

The commander said the U.S. will continue to promote peace and security in Africa as a priority and that was why the command exists.

He said the command supports peace keeping efforts and strengthens the capacity of Africa military through partnership.

"The United States government is commitment to assisting African countries as they build their capacity to counter terrorism, which AFRICOM is key to providing such assistance.

"In Nigeria we continue to share intelligence with the Nigerian military in the fight against insurgency.’’

The officials further expressed concern that growing extremist violence undermines the peace and stability that Africa needs to strive and to prosper.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/07/02/us-will-provid…ght-boko-haram/ ‎
Cc lalasticlala
Politics / Ex-finance Minister Okonjo-iweala Spent $2.1bn Without Approval by 9jaroof(m): 5:48am On Jun 30, 2015
The National Economic Council, chaired by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, on Monday accused former Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, of spending $2.1bn from the Excess Crude Account without authorisation.

“We looked at the numbers for the Excess Crude Account. The last time the former Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, reported to the council, and it is in the minutes, she reported by November 2014 that we had $4.1 bn.
Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole told State House correspondents after the NEC’s 58th meeting in Abuja.

“Today, the Accountant-General Office reported we have $2.0bn. Which means the honourable minister spent $2.1bn without authority of the NEC and that money was not distributed to states, it was not paid to the three tiers of government,”

According to the economic council, the ‘unauthorised’ spending is among the several anomalies discovered in the management of the nation’s economy between 2012 and May 2015.

Within the period, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was said to have earned a total of N8.1 tn but remitted only N4.3tn.

Due to this reason, the Federal Government has constituted Oshiomhole, Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai; Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel; and Gombe State Governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo, into a panel to probe the NNPC and the ECA between 2012 and May, 2015.

Oshiomhole, el-Rufai, Emmanuel and the Zamfara State Governor, Abdulazeez Yari, jointly briefed journalists at the end of the meeting.

Yari told journalists, through the Director of Funds, Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, Mr. M.K. Dikwa, that council members received the report of the ECA and unremitted funds by the NNPC.

He said:

“On that line, a four-man committee consisting of the governors of Edo, Gombe, Kaduna and Akwa Ibom states was constituted to go through the books of the NNPC and Excess Crude as well as the Federation Account.

”The four-man committee will check the books of the NNPC, most especially the issue of excess crude and what is not remitted into the Federation Account.

“The Federal Government, in conjunction with the Central Bank of Nigeria, will look inwards to see how to support and how much they will give to states, especially on the issue of outstanding salaries owed by the states and even the Federal Government.”

Explaining what happened at the NEC meeting, Oshiomhole said the NNPC and the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation were compelled for the first time to provide information on the total sales of Nigeria’s crude from 2012 to May 2015.

The Edo governor said,

“We are talking about transparency; we are talking about change. And what we saw from those numbers, which I believe that Nigerians are entitled to know, is that whereas the NNPC claimed to have earned N8.1tn, what NNPC paid into the Federation Account from 2012 to May 2015 was N4.3tn.

“What it means is that the NNPC withheld and spent N3.8 tn.

“The major revelation here is that the entire federation, that is the Federal Government, the states and all the 774 local governments, the amount the NNPC paid into the Federation Account for distribution to these three tiers of government came to N4.3 tn and the NNPC alone took and spent N3.8tn.

“This means that the cost of running the NNPC is much more than the cost of running the Federal Government. That tells you how much is missing, what is mismanaged and what is stolen. There are huge figures.”

“If the Federal Government cannot spend without appropriation, why should any agency spend without appropriation.

“This is what the Constitution provided for and this is what President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to do; henceforth all money must go to the Federation Account.

“If you were doing that, you would not have a situation where the NNPC alone will spend N3.8trn and remit to the federal, states and local governments N4.3trn, which means NNPC is taking about 47 per cent and that explains all the leakages you are talking about.”

El-Rufai said the account was set up in order to be accountable such that every state and local government would know what they had in the account though they could not spend it.

He said,

“The Excess Crude Account is 52 per cent owned by the Federal Government and 48 per cent owned by the states and the local governments.

“So the decision of the NEC is to set up this committee of four to look at the operations of the Excess Crude Account and make recommendations to council on its future.

“The other thing the committee will do is to look at the operations of the Federation Account, particularly the shortfall and again come back to council with very clear recommendations as to what to do.

“We have not been given a time frame but as you can imagine state governments are under pressure, many of our state governments are unable to pay salaries on time without recourse to borrowing, so this is very important to us.

“This is an all-governors’ committee; we wear the shoes and we know where they pinch. So we are going to do this as quickly as possible.

“The next meeting of the council is on July 23; we hope to complete our work and be in a position to report to council on that day. So within the next one month, we will be done by God’s grace.”
http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/30/ex-finance-min…thout-approval/ ‎

Cc: lalasticlala
Politics / Five (5) Major Steps President Buhari Has Taken Since Assuming Office by 9jaroof(m): 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari was sworn in on May 29, 2015, and has since then been accused of being too slow in taking important decisions concerning his administration.

Buhari has been especially criticized for his delay in appointing ministers, an action which many believe has prevented his administration from actually taking off.

However, the President has taken some important steps since assuming office. 5 of them are:

1. Visiting Chad and Niger for talks on Boko Haram.

2. Attending and taking a place of honour at the G7 summit where he secured the help of the US and the UK for the fight against terrorism.

3. Relocating Military Command Centre to Maiduguri to intensify the fight against Boko Haram.

4.Ordering the removal of military checkpoints across the country.

5. Dissolving the board of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/26/five-5-major-s…ssuming-office/

cc: lalasticlala
Politics / Pres. Buhari Attends First Jumat Prayer Inside Aso Rock by 9jaroof(m): 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday joined Muslim faithful for the Jumat service inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

That was the first time a Jumat service will be held in the premises.

All former Muslim Presidents and Vice Presidents have been taking part in the services at the National Mosque, Abuja.

Since his inauguration on May 29, Buhari had taken part in three Jumat services at the National Mosque. He was in his hometown, Daura, Katsina State, last Friday.

The Friday prayer was led by the State House Chief Imam, Abdulwaheed Suleiman.

Buhari was joined by aides and other workers in the villa.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/26/pres-buhari-at…nside-aso-rock/

Politics / Buhari To Visit US On July 20th After Ramadan by 9jaroof(m): 5:25pm On Jun 25, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari will visit his United States counterpart, Barrack Obama, on July 20,2015, the White House announced in a statement on Thursday.

Obama would host Buhari in a symbolic show of solidarity, during which they would discuss combating Boko Haram militants as well as economic and political issues.

“President Obama will host Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari at the White House on July 20; The visit will mark our support for the Nigerian people following their historic democratic elections and peaceful transfer of power,” the statement added.

Obama’s administration had faced criticism for not planning to visit Nigeria during a two-nation Africa tour to Kenya and Ethiopia also slated for July.

The White House said Obama looks forward to discussing with Buhari the two countries’ many shared priorities including US-Nigeria cooperation to “advance a holistic, regional approach to combating Boko Haram, as well as Nigeria’s efforts to advance economic and political reforms that will help unlock its full potential as a regional and global leader.”

During the visit, Buhari’s advisers are expected to meet with their American counterparts and discuss building a stronger bilateral relationship.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/25/buhari-to-visi…-after-ramadan/ ‎
Cc lalasticlala

2 Likes

Politics / Pres. Buhari To Move Into Aso Villa, Announce Some Appointments Next Week by 9jaroof(m): 5:47am On Jun 19, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari is set to move into the Presidential Villa next week to continue his governance and may also name the first set of top government officials to start off the administration, a competent Presidency source confirmed.

Since being declared winner of the 2015 Presidential election, Buhari has been operating from the Defence House in Maitama and has been conducting official business of government from there, having taken over the mantle of leadership on May 29, 2015 from former President Goodluck Jonathan.
It was leant that the President was ready to move from Defence House to the Villa possibly early next week following completion of renovation of the President’s residence.

“It is true that the construction company has completed the President’s wing and he is set to move in any moment from now. As at today, it is only the Vice President’s residence that is yet to be fully completed.

“We expect that the two men will move into the villa by next week since the work in the Vice President’s apartment is not a serious one,” an official in the Presidency explained.

The source explained that Buhari was set to begin naming some key officials of his government as soon as he moves into the Villa to prepare the grounds for the take off of serious work for Nigerians who have been expecting action from the administration.

As a prelude to setting up his administration, Buhari has reportedly handed over the 800-page Transition Committee Report to a trusted team of his associates, headed by former Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola; former Ekiti governor, Kayode Fayemi and others to reduce into a sizable and workable document.

Fashola is being tipped to emerge as Chief of Staff to the President because of his pedigree as a former Chief of Staff, governor and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

An impeccable source said that it was Buhari who instructed that after all others had completed working on transition report, they should hand over the voluminous document to Fashola to reduce into an implementable format for him to read and take necessary actions.

The source said:

“Hopefully, from next week, some appointments would be announced. Buhari is a fast reader and he will be able to take immediate actions based on the transition report.”

A member of the Buhari Transition Committee, who pleaded anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter, confirmed that the final report presented to the president last week was a comprehensive document meant to guide him in taking decisions as to the shape and nature of his administration to bring about the needed change in the country.

The member said that what they presented to the President was more of a blueprint and how best to go about it in order to bring the country out of the woods. The member said: “The final report is very rich and we believe it will help Mr. President in putting a solid structure of his government and give him policy direction as well.”

http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/19/pres-buhari-to…ents-next-week/ ‎

cc lalasticlala
Islam for Muslims / Rules For Muslims And Non-muslims During Ramadan by 9jaroof(m): 9:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
What are the Ramadan fasting rules?

The most basic tenant of the Ramadan fast is not eating or drinking (even water) between dawn and evening, according to local sunrise and sunset times. Ramadan 2015 will be 14 hours here in Nigeria and it will involve long fasts for American and other Muslims in the Northern Hemisphere. Near the Arctic Circle, for example, the fast will last around 22 hours. In Australia, in the Southern Hemisphere, the fast will last around 12 hours.

However, Some Muslim-majority countries ban eating and drinking in public for all residents, even non-muslims and most restaurants are closed during daylight hours.

Daytime fasting during Ramadan has an ascetic quality. Muslims basically go about their normal routine, including work school and social functions. However, observers of Ramadan are expected to “abstain from food, drink and other sensual pleasures,” according to the Council on Islamic American Relations (CAIR). Sensual pleasures include sexual intercourse.

While already banned or discouraged in Islam, extramarital sex, smoking and drinking are even more discouraged during Ramadan. Minor indulgences such as lying require a small penance. Major offenses — day sex, eating, drinking — require a major penance such as additional fasting or feeding poor people.

Fasting is only required for people who are physically able to do so. The elderly, sick and mentally ill are all exempt. Pregnant, nursing and menstruating women are also exempt from fasting rules.

How can non-muslims participate?

Some non-muslims participate in fasting, especially if they live in a muslim country or have lots of Muslim friends. In Nigeria where food and drink are flowing through the day during Ramadan throughout the day right under their hungry and thirsty mouths, non-muslims can support their muslim friends by not eating or drinking in front of them. Non-muslims are also often invited to Ramadan feasts. Ramadan isn’t all about abstinence. Post-sunset dinners during Ramadan can be decadent feasts. Called “iftar,” the fast-breaking meal is open to non-muslims.

CAIR has urges local Muslim leaders to hold interfaith iftars and have put out a guide on how to do so.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/18/rules-for-musl…during-ramadan/ ‎

Cc lalasticlala
Politics / Former Governor Ohakim Leaves EFCC Custody by 9jaroof(m): 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2015
Read the press statement from Ohakim's office below...

Former Governor of Imo State Chief Ikedi Ohakim has left the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to his house in Asokoro. Ohakim spent less than five hours with the anti-graft Agency, before he was left to go home.

Chief Ikedi Ohakim who was at the EFCC office few hours past five pm, yesterday expressed surprise that overzealous officials of the anti-graft Agency could go ahead to invade his house with paid media men in order to score cheap points and achieve some credibility stunts.Having left office as Governor more than four years ago, the former Governor was investigated by the EFCC on the same charges as the present one, as a result of the same frivolous petition sponsored by enemies of Imo State and Igboland who feel that their criminal plans against the State Ndi Igbo would be thwarted by the highly respected elder Statesman.

Ohakim clarifies that he is always ready to honour any invitation extended to him by all legitimate agencies of government, since he does not have any skeletons in his cupboard.He warned however, that all public officials, especially those charged with the sensitive responsibility of fighting graft must not allow themselves to be used as pawns, by desperate political renegades, who cling to the smallest straw for political survival and relevance.

A more detailed press statement will be out soon.

http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/18/former-governo…s-efcc-custody/

Cc lalasticlala
Politics / Pres. Buhari Reveals Why He Haven’t Chosen Ministers by 9jaroof(m): 10:51pm On Jun 16, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, explained that he was yet to appoint his ministers because former President Goodluck Jonathan’s transition committee submitted its report on the previous administration late.
Speaking with newsmen at the African Union Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa, the president wondered why people are anxious over his choice of minister.
“I don’t know why people are so anxious about ministers. But eventually we will have (them). But the main reason is that I have an interim committee which I agreed with the former President Jonathan that the ministers of the outgoing government should hand over their notes or their documents to this interim committee so that a position can be prepared for the new government to start from with clear records from ministers.
“But the ministers knew that they were going while the technocrats, the permanent secretaries and directors and so on, would remain. If anything goes wrong they would be invited to explain, but unfortunately the outgoing government did not cooperate.
“So, what the committee did was to divide itself into about five sub-committees and got a resource person that was willing to come and bring the document, and so they prepared and I got the report I think three days ago.
“I was waiting for this report because I would like to know the position of things in the government especially in terms of finance and petroleum industry. So, I am not in a hurry to get ministers.
“I want to get ministers after at least I have seen the report because I don’t have to appoint a minister today and sack him the next week because this report would give me what actually happened in terms of security, and economy of the country.
“And since I have to have ministers from politicians and technocrats, I wouldn’t make the mistake of getting somebody, who has been involved on account of accountability,” he said.
Commenting on the emergence of Sen. Abubakar Saraki as Senate President, Buhari said that the onus was on the National Assembly to resolve the issue as it had its own criteria for choosing its officers, which was why he did not want to interfere in the exercise.

http://naijaroof..com/2015/06/pres-buhari-reveals-why-he-havent.html

Politics / Photos: Sule Lamido Returns To Nigeria by 9jaroof(m): 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2015
Immediate past governor of Jigawa state, Alhaji Sule Lamido, who has been accused of conspiring with his sons, Aminu and Mustapha Lamido to steal about N1.3 billion from his state while he was governor, returned to Nigeria yesterday June 15th. He went on holiday immediately after handing over power to the new governor. When he returned yesterday, he was welcomed by his teaming supporters at the Dutse International Airport.

Alhaji Lamido while responding to questions from newsmen at his home in Bamaina village in Birninkudu Local Government area of the state said he is aware of the EFCC invitation and he will be honoring it.

http://naijaroof..com/2015/06/photos-ex-jigawa-gov-sule-lamido.html

Politics / Insurgency: Buhari, Security Chiefs In Closed-door Meeting by 9jaroof(m): 8:13pm On Jun 10, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday met behind closed doors with some security chiefs to marshal the country’s plans that will be presented at a meeting of the Lake Chad Basin Commission in Abuja on Thursday.

National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.); Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence, Ismail Aliyu; Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh; and Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Usman Jibrin attended the meeting held inside the Defence House in Abuja.

Aliyu briefed State House correspondents at the end of the meeting that lasted less than two hours.

He said they discussed issues relating to the operationalisation of the Multinational Joint Task Force and the contributions of each member state.

He said the President, at the meeting, reiterated his desire to end insurgency in the country and the region in shortest possible time.

Aliyu said, “We came to brief Mr. President on the meeting of the Lake Chad Basin Commission which the Head of States are attending on Thursday.

“The arrangement of the meeting held between the Chiefs of Defence Staff of the Lake Chad Basin and Ministers of Defence which is culminating in the President’s meeting on Thursday.

“We have discussed the issue of the operationalistion of the Multinational Joint Task Force and the citing of its headquarters in N’Djamena and the contribution from various states.

“This is with the objective of fighting the insurgency within that region. Some issues came out that the President identified, he wants us to see the end of this fight for the purpose of peace, security and prosperity of the region.”

Source:http://www.punchng.com/news/insurgency-buhari-security-chiefs-in-closed-door-meeting/
http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/10/insurgency-buh…d-door-meeting/ ‎
Sports / Ucl:barcelona Vs Juventus : UCL (3 - 1) (download Full Highlight)on 6th June 201 by 9jaroof(m): 10:11pm On Jun 06, 2015
The Spanish side opened the scoring after just four minutes, with Alvaro Morata equalising in the second half before the Uruguayan and the Brazilian secured the win
Download link@ http://naijaroof.com/2015/06/06/uclbarcelona-v…-6th-june-2015/
Politics / Photos: Another Trekker To Reach Abuja From Niger Rep. In Honor Of Buhari by 9jaroof(m): 11:00pm On May 14, 2015
A picture above shows a man (one with Donkey) willing to reach Abuja from Niger Rep., he is now in Funtua.
http://naijaroof.com/2015/05/14/photos-another-trekker-to-reach-abuja-from-niger-rep-in-honor-of-buhari/

Politics / No Girl Should Be Married Before The Age Of 17- Aisha Buhari, Calls For Legisla by 9jaroof(m): 12:28am On May 13, 2015
Mrs Aisha Buhari says no girl should be married before age 17. According to her, girls who are of 18 to 20 years old are better matured to give birth to a child than those who are 17 and below. Mrs Buhari said this while speaking to Channels TV at the side-line of the Global Women Conference held in Buenos Aires, Argentina shortly after her presentation on the danger women and girl child contend with daily. She pushed for legislation against early marriage..

“We have heard so much from the Ministers of Women affairs from different countries. We are trying to tally it with what is happening in Nigeria, to find out how we are lacking and in which aspect of women affairs that we are lacking and the ones that we have gone ahead. I think so far its quite encouraging. We just need to put everything in practice than being in theory. If the government can stand up and say every girl child must attend basic primary and secondary school education before getting married. I think nobody, no girl should be married before the age of 17 because if you really attend secondary school, you will have to be like 16 and 17 and I think by the time you are 18- 20, its quite a moderate time of having a child”she said

http://naijaroof.com/2015/05/12/no-girl-should-be-married-before-the-age-of-17-aisha-buhari-calls-for-legislation-against-early-marriage/

3 Likes

Politics / Open Letter To Mr. President-elect, Buhari - By Charly Boy by 9jaroof(m): 6:39pm On May 11, 2015
Sequel to his opinion on the zoning formula and our polity, CharlyBoy, writes the president elect, Gen. Buhari an open letter that mirrors not just his mind but that of many others. Find below...

Oga GMB,
How far? I trust you have been getting enough rest and getting ready for the mother of all battles in your life. You know how hard and how long you have fought for this and now that you have it, we can’t wait to see how our lives will change!

You must understand that our expectations are high, but you can't blame us too much. By faith or design, you have become a symbol of renaissance for a nation that has been battered by mismanagement and unprecedented corruption. Kai! Odiegwu!

Many of us were sold on your Change Campaign, tired of the usual statuesque and many more just wanted a better life for ourselves and our loved ones. All eyes are on you, I trust you know that by now. This Change should demonstrate to us possibilities, hope again for the youths of this country and a channeling back to those core values which we hold sacred. Anything less will be same of the same. Shey you get?

Fact from fiction, truth from rhetoric, I know that it is foolhardy to expect that one individual alone can by himself/herself bring about this Change we desperately need and earnestly desire. However, inasmuch as you need to raise a viable team to work with, using the formula of zoning won't cut it. My earnest advice to you is to choose officers and men strictly on merit and not necessarily what geopolitical zone they come from. Remember, this same zoning formula has been used at different times in this country, and each time, it has failed. The issue of zoning coming up now again is a reminder of times in the past that we desperately want to forget. Same of the same?

I would want to believe that you have come to heal and fix the rot.
It will never be easy because of the wolves and sharks amongst us who benefit big time from the corruption, the poverty, the confusion and hopelessness they inflict on Nigerians.

So after May 29th, as you put on your boxing gloves and crank your whip, we will be watching with bathed breath to see not only the will to fight this battle but the sincerity and strategies to lead us on the path of true healing for our broken Nation. Biko.

Oga me, e don set oooooo.

Much Respect,
Na me.
AreaFada, Charlyboy
http://lindaikeji..com/2015/05/open-letter-to-mr-president-elect.html
http://naijaroof.com/2015/05/11/open-letter-to…-by-charly-boy/ ‎

Sports / Ucl:barcelona 3 : 0 Bayern Munich Full Highlight (download) by 9jaroof(m): 10:17pm On May 06, 2015
Game Played on 6th May, 2015
Kick Off at 18:45 (GMT)
Half Time finished with scoreline 0:0
Game ended after Full Time with scoreline 3:0

Download full highlight
http://naijaroof.com/2015/05/06/uclbarcelona-3…light-download/ ‎

Celebrities / Pics: Kim K Steps Out Without Bra Or Pant As She Goes To Work Out by 9jaroof(m): 11:20pm On May 04, 2015

Politics / How Court Terminated Suits Challenging Buhari’s Eligibility by 9jaroof(m): 12:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
ABUJA -‎ The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, yesterday, terminated further hearing on two separate suits that challenged the qualification of General Muhammadu Buhari, rtd, to participate in the 2015 presidential election.

Justice‎ Ademola Adeniyi struck out the suits following notices of discontinuance that was entered before the court by the plaintiffs.

The plaintiffs, Chukwunweike Okafor, and Mr. Max Ozoaka‎, through their respective lawyers, Chief Mike Ozehkome, SAN, and Dr. Chike Amobi, told the court that they decided to withdraw the matter in order to allow the President-elect, Buhari, to effectively run the affairs of the nation without ‎distractions.

“My Lord we have a notice of discontinuance and we have served all the parties. I called the plaintiff and advised that he should discontinue the suit to avoid distraction for the incoming government.

“Since Jonathan has conceded defeat and also encouraged his supporters to do the same, after such heroic act, we saw no reason to weep more than the bereaved”, Ozekhome added.

Respond‎ing to the development, Buhari, through his lawyer Chief Akin Olujumi, SAN, said he would not oppose the application to withdraw the suits against him, even as he commended both the plaintiffs and their lawyers for “doing the wise thing”.

Buhari told the court that he would not press for cost to be awarded against the plaintiffs for initiating the legal actions against him.

‎Similarly, the All Progressives Congress, APC, which was also cited as a defendant in the suits, lauded the plaintiffs for their decision to discontinue, contending that going ahead with the subject matter of the case would have amounted to a waste of time.

‎On its part, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, through its lawyer, Mr. Hassan Liman, equally did not object to the withdrawal applications dated April 22.

While striking out the suits, Justice Adeniyi commended all the parties for “exhibiting high sense of commitment”.

Justice Adeniyi had earlier stressed that its decision ‎on the very first suit against Buhari, which was filed by Mr. Okafor, would impact on about eight other eligibility suits ‎pending before the court.

However, the ruling of the court yesterday will not affect ‎another suit that was lodged against Buhari by Chief Ayakeme Whiskey (FHC/ABJ/CS/68/15), who had maintained that the subject matter of his own action transcended the issue of eligibility.

‎Meantime, no date has been fixed for hearing of that suit.

The plaintiffs had in the suits that were withdrawn yesterday, prayed the court ‎for a declaration that the 1st defendant, Buhari, was not eligible to participate in the 2015 presidential election for failure to comply with the terms for submission of list of candidate and affidavit of personal particulars of persons seeking election to the office of President.

They sought similar reliefs, including, “A declaration that by the combined provisions of sections 31(1) (2) and (3) of the 2010 Electoral Act (as amended) and INEC Form CF 001, the 1st defendant is mandatorily obliged by law to comply strictly with the provisions laid down under the Electoral Act (as amended) and INEC Form CF 001 as it relates to attaching evidence of the 1st defendant’s birth certificate and evidence of his educational qualifications as required under INEC Form C.F 001.

“A declaration that the Curriculum Vitae and Voters Registration card attached by the 1st defendant in his INEC ‎Form C.F 001 and submitted to the 2nd defendant, INEC, as a Presidential Candidate in 2015 general election is not in conformity with the form prescribed by the Electoral Act/INEC Form C.F. 001 and is manifestly in contravention of the said Act/INEC Form C.F. 001 and therefore null and void”.

Specifically Mr. Ozoaka, sought for an order of court declaring as invalid the INEC Form C.F. 001 as filled and submitted by Buhari “for being inchoate and manifestly in contravention of the provisions of the Electoral Act”.

He argued that Buhari’s failure/ refusal to attach evidence of his birth certificate and educational qualifications, “which are conditions inherent/ precedent ‎as prescribed in the form”, was in breach of relevant laws in Nigeria pertaining to presidential election.

He prayed the court not to only declare the Form CF. 001 that was submitted to INEC by Buhari ‎for the 2015 presidential election as incompetent, but to also declare that the Voters Card that was attached to the form was false on the ground that as at when the voters card was issued, the 1st defendant was not a “public servant” as he allegedly stated.

“An order ‎declaring the said voters card as void for containing false information about the identity/occupation of the 1st defendant.

“An order disqualifying the 1st defendant from contesting and/or participating in the Presidential election fixed for February 14, 2015 or any date that the 2nd defendant may fix on the ground that the information contained in the 1stbdefendant’s INEC Form CF. 001 is false.

“An order restraining the 2nd defendant from permitting the 1st defendant from participating in the Presidential election fixed for February 14, 2015 or any other date that the 2nd defendant may fix”.

Ozoaka posed eight questions for the determination of the court, among which included; “Whether having regards to the provision of section 31(cool of the Electoral Act, as amended, and INEC Form C.F. 001 filed by the 1st defendant and the fact that the 1st defendant stated therein that he is a member of the All Progressives Congress Party (APCP), whether the 1st defendant is a member of a political party recognised by law in Nigeria which will enable him to participate in the 2015 presidential election.

“Whether or not the identification/voters card submitted by the 1st defendant to the 2nd defendant wherein the 1st defendant is shown to be a “public servant” as at January 22, 2011, is true or false?

“Whether or not the document purported to be the Statement of Result/Result Sheet of the 1st defendant’s Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) provided by the Government College Katsina and the Katsina State Ministry of Education and referred to at the Press Conference of the 1st defendant held on January 21, 2015, is truly and correctly that of the 1st defendant, having regard to the name of the 1st defendant as stated in his affidavit submitted to the 2nd defendant and the name in the said document”.

In a 30 paragraphed affidavit that was deposed to by the plaintiff, he averred that the 1st defendant retired from Nigerian Army on August 1985 after he was removed from office as military Head of State pursuant to a military coup.

“That the 1st defendant left the Petroleum (Special) Trust Fund as its Executive Chairman in May 1999. That I know for a fact that th‎e 1st defendant stated on oath that his certificates evidencing his educational qualifications are in the possession of the Nigerian Army.

“That I know for a fact that at a press conference held on January 20, 2015, the Nigerian ‎Army spokesman, Brigadier General Oluseye Lajide stated that the Nigerian Army is not in possession of the 1st defendant’s certificates evidencing his educational qualifications”.

He told the court that a Statement of Result that was eventually made available to the press by the 1st defendant through ‎Government College Katsina and a University of Cambridge West Africa School Certificate Result sheet, had the name of one “Mohammed Buhari”, “and not the name of the 1st defendant as copi‎ously appeared and used in the 1st defendant’s voters card. Affidavit and other documents attached to his INEC Form C.F. 001”.

Both Buhari and the APC had queried the competence of all the suits, even as they challenged the jurisdiction of the court to hear them.

The two defendants also challenged the propriety of orders of Justice Adeniyi which had permitted the plaintiffs to serve the Originating Summons on them through substituted means.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/how-court-terminated-suits-challenging-buharis-eligibility/
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/23/how-court-terminated-suits-challenging-buharis-eligibility/

Politics / EFCC Goes After Ex-Gov. Modu Sheriff Over N300 Billion Borno Funds by 9jaroof(m): 1:49am On Apr 23, 2015
The Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has summoned a former Governor of Borno State, Ali Modu Sherriff over allegations connected to misappropriation and embezzlement during his governorship tenure, Premium Times reports.

According to the report, the former governor is expected to report at the EFCC head office in Abuja on Thursday, April 23, 2015.

Sources at the EFCC told Premium Times that if Sherriff fails to appear as directed, he will be declared wanted and arrested.

It was reported that detectives are already on the former governor’s trail to ensure he does not leave the country.

Details are still sketchy about the exact allegations against Sherriff, but it is believed to be linked to the N300 billion his administration received from the Federal account between 2003 and 2011.

Report says the fund may have ended in personal coffers.

Sheriff was senator between 1999 and 2003 on the platform of the defunct All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), and later became the Governor of Borno state under the aegis of the same party.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/181873-exclusive-efcc-goes-after-ex-gov-modu-sheriff-over-n300-billion-borno-funds-set-to-detain-him-thursday.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Politics / Video:exclusive Interview With Gen. Muhammadu Buhari by 9jaroof(m): 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
This is part two of the exclusive interview with Nigeria's President-Elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari as he sits with TVC News; unveiling his plans for Nigeria ahead of Handover in May 29th.
SOURCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UIa4W7xi-c
WATCH NOW: http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/22/video-tvc-inte…ect-gen-buhari/ ‎

1 Like

Politics / Gunmen Kill Four In Rivers by 9jaroof(m): 7:16pm On Apr 20, 2015
THE level of violence in Rivers State took a fresh turn on Saturday and Sunday as four persons were killed in Eleme and Okrika Local Government Areas of the state.

Two persons were attacked by gunmen in Okrika, including a man that was killed in his car and taken away by his assailants.

The incident, which was said to have happened at about 8pm, shocked indigenes of the area, even as another victim fell to the bullets of gunmen in his house in the same Okrika.

A source, who expressed shock over the attacks on Saturday, explained that the second victim was killed inside his residence, his body was found floating on a river.

In Ebubu community, Eleme Local Government Area, two persons were killed on Sunday during a clash between two rival cult groups.

Though no reason has been ascertained to be the cause of the clash, the rival cult groups had fought each other with guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons.

Some members of the community had deserted the place in order to avoid being caught in the middle of the clash that took place around 8pm and continued till the early hours of Monday.

In another development, the All Progressives Congress in the state, has alleged that the killings of its members have continued without abating.

The state chapter of the APC condemned the latest killings involving two persons in Okrika Local Government Area.

Calling for an immediate end to the killings, the Greater Together Campaign Organisation of the governorship candidate of the APC in the last election, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, warned that the ugly act could have adverse effect if nothing was done to stop it.

A statement signed by the Director of Communications of the campaign outfit, Mrs. Ibim Semenitari, sought explanation why those behind the killings were interested in turning the state to a battlefield.

“We are calling for proactive steps by security agencies to curtail the ability of the perpetrators and their possible sponsors to hit their targets. We want to know the rationale behind the post-election killings. If they killed APC members on election days, why have they continued to kill after the polls?

“Since the discredited Governorship and House of Assembly elections in Rivers State, killers have swarmed on Ahoada East, hitting down their targets. Recently, Messrs Chigba Apollos and Chiezule German, both members of the APC in the area, were shot dead in Ibarikpo Town by gunmen. Ibarikpo is in Ahoada East Ward 13.

“In a similar bizarre manner, on Thursday, April 15, Mr. Saturday Wakama, was killed and his corpse taken away. Wakama, a popular APC member in Okrika, was a member of the Ijaw Youth Council, IYC, and had championed campaigns for a riverine governor in Rivers State,” the statement reads.

The campaign outfit, however, expressed surprise that security agencies had not been able to arrest any of the killers or kidnappers so that they could be punished for their atrocities.

“This is an indictment on the agencies of state saddled with the responsibility of tackling law breakers. An arrest and prosecution will send strong warning to these outlaws and possibly stem the tide of growing murder of APC members in Rivers State,” Peterside’s campaign group added.
http://www.punchng.com/news/gunmen-kill-four-in-rivers-2/
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/20/gunmen-kill-four-in-rivers/
Politics / Boko Haram Kills 11 Freed Civilians In Gwoza by 9jaroof(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
Eleven persons were killed by the Boko Haram insurgents in a part of Gwoza town, a military source told our correspondent on the telephone to Maiduguri on Friday.

The source said the victims were civilians, who were recently rescued by soldiers during the recapture of the town from the Boko Haram militias.

According to the source, the civilians had, during the long reign of the insurgents in the Borno town, stayed on the mountain but were evacuated by the military on the liberation of Gwoza.

They were said to have been taken to a perceived safer place by the military, who were planning a further clampdown on suspected Boko Haram camps in the area.

The source said, “It was unfortunate that while they were kept at a supposed safer place at the base of the hill, with some (military) troops stationed there to guard them, some Boko Haram men struck on Wednesday, and killed at least 11 of the people.”

An indigene of Gwoza, resident in Maiduguri, Ibrahim Musa, said he lost a friend to the attack.

He told our correspondent on the telephone that he was informed of the attack by a soldier friend of his on Friday morning after he returned from the town.

Musa added that the soldier told him that some soldiers were wounded in the attack.

He said, “A soldier friend (of mine), who came to Maiduguri with some wounded soldiers, told me about the attack because a friend of mine, known to him, was lost.

“They (victims) were slaughtered by Boko Haram. He said they came in a large number, more than the soldiers stationed to guard the people, and the soldiers had to flee for safety.”
SOURCE:http://www.punchng.com/news/boko-haram-kills-11-freed-civilians-in-gwoza/
Read more@ http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/17/boko-haram-kil…lians-in-gwoza/

Politics / Girls Who Escaped Boko Haram Refuse To Be Victims by 9jaroof(m): 8:55am On Apr 14, 2015
Report from Aljazeera
Al Jazeera talks to three students who escaped after more than 200 girls were abducted in Nigeria a year ago.

Yola, Nigeria - It has been one year since more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted in northern Nigeria by Boko Haram. They have been the focus of a worldwide campaign, #BringBackOurGirls, calling for their release.

On the night of the abduction, three girls jumped off the moving trucks in which Boko Haram were transporting them.

Al Jazeera met up with the girls and while they have been through a terrifying experience, they do not want to be portrayed as victims. They insist on talking about what they have done since they escaped - focusing on their education.

They are now studying at the American University of Nigeria in Yola.

They do not want their faces or names revealed in order to protect their families and other girls still in school in Chibok.

Al Jazeera: Do you want to go back to Chibok?

Blessing: Yes. I want some changes in Chibok, like the environment. I want to be a lawyer. I want to fight for justice. Wait, I want to say something to my school friends who are still being held captive by Boko Haram!

Al Jazeera: Of course ... go ahead.

Blessing: I will just pray for them that one day there is hope, that one day God will set them free from the hands of Boko Haram.

Mary: Ask me what you asked Blessing ... about if I want to go back to Chibok, because I do.

Al Jazeera: Why do you want to go back?

Mary: Because my favourite subjects are physics and biology. The reason is I want to become a medical doctor. To go to Chibok and build clinics and hospitals because we don't have educated doctors there. I will try hard. But it's hard. This new school is nice. We don't have many textbooks in Chibok like here. We don't use laptops in Chibok. We don't do some sports like we are doing here.

Deborah: I want to say something important before I answer your questions. It's for the girls still missing.

Al Jazeera: Please, go ahead.

Deborah: The message is be brave and courageous. Be a hard worker and always believe in God, that whatever you are going through, God is there for you, he will help you. Have ambition that you are great and you were made to be a great person.

Al Jazeera: Someone tried to take education away from you. How do you feel about that?

Deborah: It was said that if you educate a girl you educate the whole nation. It is very important. They haven't stopped me.

Al Jazeera: What is schooling like in Chibok?

Deborah: Not good. That's why I am going back when I graduate. The education there is very poor. So I want to help by building a school. I want to empower women by creating centres that will teach them things.

Al Jazeera: So you want to be a teacher?

Deborah: My favourite subjects are English and biology. I want to be a doctor. I want to save lives of people and help those who are sick but can't pay their medical bills.

Al Jazeera: Do you think you will be able to finish school in peace now?

Deborah: I like this place because of the good quality education we are getting here. We are sponsored to study here. Everything is paid for. It is an exciting, beautiful environment. There is airconditioning in the rooms, flushing toilets and, I have my own bed. I am happy to be here.

Source: Aljazeera
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/04/girls-escaped-boko-haram-refuse-victims-150414055116756.htm
watch the interview video here
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/14/girls-who-esca…-to-be-victims/
Politics / Chibok Girls 'seen With Boko Haram In Gwoza' - Report by 9jaroof(m): 11:02pm On Apr 13, 2015
According to a report by BBC, missing Chibok Girls were seen with Boko Haram members in Gwoza. Find the weird report below. By the way, today marks Chibok Girls one year remembrance. They were taken from their school exactly today one year ago...

More than 50 of the girls abducted by militant Islamists in Nigeria last year were seen alive three weeks ago, a woman has told the BBC. She saw the girls in the north-eastern Gwoza town before the Boko Haram militants were driven out of there by regional forces.

Boko Haram sparked global outrage when it seized more than 219 girls from Chibok town a year ago.
The US, China and other foreign powers promised to help find the girls.

However, the girls have never been traced, and little has been heard of them since they were taken from their boarding school. The whereabouts of the remaining girls is not clear.
SOURCE:BBC
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/13/chibok-girls-s…n-gwoza-report/

Politics / I Can't Promise My Government Will Find Missing Chibok Girls - Buhari by 9jaroof(m): 9:57pm On Apr 13, 2015
President-elect, Gen Muhammadu Buhari says his incoming government cannot promise the return of missing Chibok girls but that they would do everything within their power to secure their return. He said this in a statement he released today April 13th to commemorate one year of the girls' abduction. The statement below...

Today is a time to reflect on the pain and suffering of the victims, their friends and families. Our thoughts and prayers, and that of the whole Nigerian Nation, are with you today. I want to assure all of them, and particularly the parents, that when my new Administration takes office at the end of May, we will do everything we can to defeat Boko Haram. We will act differently from the Government we replace: we hear the anguish of our citizens and intend to respond accordingly.
This new approach must also begin with honesty. We do not know if the Chibok girls can be rescued. Their whereabouts remain unknown. As much as I wish to, I cannot promise that we can find them. But I say to every parent, family member and friend of the children that my Government will do everything in its power to bring them home. What I can pledge, with absolute certainty, is that starting on the first day of my Administration Boko Haram will know the strength of our collective will and commitment to rid this nation of terror, and bring back peace and normalcy to all the affected areas. Boko Haram” means “Western Education is Sinful”. When they are defeated militarily, as they will be, we will ensure our citizens in the affected areas have improved educational opportunities as a direct counterbalance to Boko Haram’s twisted ideology.

In particular we will educate ever more young girls ensuring they are empowered as citizens of Nigeria. Let us use this anniversary to remind each other that the attack on Chibok was an attack on the dreams and aspirations of our young people. We stand united in our pledge to resist terror in Nigeria– not just through military means but also through the power of opportunity and the hope of a better future for all”.
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/13/i-cant-promise…k-girls-buhari/ ‎

Crime / Pastor, Wife Arrested In Akwa-ibom For Selling Baby For N300,000 by 9jaroof(m): 9:14am On Apr 07, 2015
… Another suspect gives up twins baby for N90,000

By NGOZI UWUJARE

Akwa Ibom State Police Command has arrested Pastor John (other names withheld) and his wife, Deborah, over alleged abduction of a new born baby. A police source, said the couple abducted the baby to allegedly sell him for N300,000.00. The pastor allegedly had a link with a child trafficking syndicate operating at Nung Ukot Itam, Itu Local Government Area of the state.

Commissioner of Police (CP) Gabriel Achong, who was represented by the Assistant Commissioner of Police, State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Mike Okoli, told Crime Watch Today that the General Overseer of a Pentecostal church, Pastor John and his wife adopted babies from a member of their syndicate, one Esther who was the baby’s mother.

ACP Okoli explained that another member of the syndicate, Joseph and Esther sold the baby to one Ehiemere in Port Harcourt, Rivers State for N400,000.00 before the police intelligence recovered the baby from them.

He said policemen have arrested the pastor, his wife, and other members of the syndicate.
He said they have also arrested a 22 years old Ebong who accosted a victim, one Charlie on her way to the stream to fetch water. The suspect tied the victim’s legs to a tree, sealed her mouth and repeatedly defiled her until the victim became unconscious. The suspect abandoned her to die.
Meanwhile, Charlie was rescued by a good Samaritan who took her to a hospital. Police intelligence group was able to arrest Inichebe and the victim has identified him.

ACP Okoli stated that another suspect, Sabbath, who was delivered of twins and willingly gave out one of them, a five-day old and sold her for N90,000.00, blaming it on poverty.

The suspect spoke to Crime Watch Today: ‘’It was poverty that led me into this mess. It is true that I sold one of my twins for N90,000.00 to Mr Akpanam and Mr Samuel to be able to train the other baby. My husband’s family should forgive me for what I have done, it was poverty that led me into this’’.

ACP Okoli said police have recovered the baby she sold out and arrested her and the other members of the syndicate.

Pastor John, confessing his role, said: “We have the mission to train children and suddenly we changed our mind, when my wife and I ventured into selling of a new baby for N200,000.00 or N300,000.00 since we have a syndicate who could sell it for us’’
ACP Okoli said the suspect would soon be charged to court.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=113107

Politics / Asari Dokubo Warned To Keep Calm And Accept Jonathan's Defeat by 9jaroof(m): 6:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
A patron of the National Council of Muslim Youth Organisations (NACOMYO) and chairman, Oyo State Muslim Community, Alhaji Ishaq Kunle Sanni, has warned leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Salvation Front/Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPSF/NDPVF), Alhaji Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, against fomenting trouble following the defeat of President Goodluck Jonathan in last presidential election.

Sanni gave the warning in an open letter to Dokubo while reacting to the former militant’s threat to wage war against Nigeria if Jonathan loses and also describing retired General Muhammadu Buhari’s victory in the presidential election as a conspiracy by the North and South West against the Niger Delta, South East and the Middle Belt geo-political regions.

He advised Dokubo against the dangerous and needless adventurism to take arms over an election in which the contestants have been unprecedentedly magnanimous with President Jonathan historically accepting defeat and Buhari extending a hand of fellowship to him.

In the letter Sanni said: “Our friends think that I am one of the closest persons to you. An affirmation of that truism is that my house is seen by your family as their second home. You would be wondering why I am going public since it was never in my character to criticise or even admonish you in public. But I want to be on record, especially because of many brothers begging me to talk to you not to commit harakiri. They would know I have done my own.”

It noted that: “They said the news is viral on the social media, electronic and print media that you intend to fulfil your earlier threat made with your colleagues in the Ijaw Nation struggle to go back to the creeks and take arms against the federal government. The question is when would I see you so that we can talk? What if you carry out your threat tomorrow? Allah may record it for me as being nonchalantly unpatriotic. What of if you die while trying to put your unfathomable Ijaw irredentism into high gear and people accuse me of nonchalance?”

He recalled that Dokubo on number of times confessed to him that Jonathan’s performance is pedestrian wondering why he would want to cry more that the bereaved and if he does not believe in destiny as a Muslim?
http://naijaroof.com/2015/04/06/asari-dokubo-w…nathans-defeat/ ‎

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.