Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,806 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

West African Yoruba In South America - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / West African Yoruba In South America (2427 Views)

BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities / Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? / Why Our English Speaking Brothers Think Cameroon Is A West African Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

West African Yoruba In South America by warlei(m): 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2012
My yoruba people(immigrant) in south america,this thread is dedicated to you,how is yoruba culture embraced over there?,how do yoruba-brazilian relate with other yoruba's....this thread is born out of my love for a united yoruba nation.

1 Like

Re: West African Yoruba In South America by Ptolomeus(m): 7:52pm On Jul 25, 2012
The Yoruba, in South America not only arrived in Brazil, but many countries. Perhaps countries with greater cultural weight Yoruba, are Brazil and Cuba. In San Salvador (Bahia, Brazil) are kept alive many traditions Yoruba, in relation to culture, food, religion, etc..
Re: West African Yoruba In South America by warlei(m): 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ptolomeus: The Yoruba, in South America not only arrived in Brazil, but many countries. Perhaps countries with greater cultural weight Yoruba, are Brazil and Cuba. In San Salvador (Bahia, Brazil) are kept alive many traditions Yoruba, in relation to culture, food, religion, etc..
good work my friend.i am a yoruba.
Do u live in south america? Pls give tell me stories about,these people and their perception about where dey come from,do they still bear yoruba names?

1 Like

Re: West African Yoruba In South America by Ptolomeus(m): 4:47pm On Jul 26, 2012
warlei: good work my friend.i am a yoruba.
Do u live in south america? Pls give tell me stories about,these people and their perception about where dey come from,do they still bear yoruba names?

Thank you very much for your kindness, dear friend!
I live in Montevideo, capital of Uruguay.
The first arrivals of African groups corresponded to Angola.
It was no coincidence the type of ethnic group that arrived in each country, as countries with large plantations of sugar cane, coffee, cotton, mine production, they needed labor with very strong physically. In the case of Uruguay, the assignments were limited to cooperation in the agricultural and livestock, as well as collaboration with domestic chores. For this reason (the slaves lived with their masters), one can speak of a deal much more "humanized" to slaves in other countries. There is another important phenomenon: that kind of work did not allow the grandees concentrations of slaves, which added to the coexistence with the white slave allowed to more easily integrate into society.
In a beautiful paper published by the University of the Republic (Uruguay), I have read the diary of a nineteenth century slave, in narrating the various ceremonies performed, celebrations, and the existence of "brotherhoods" of each ethnic group , who had their King and his Queen, whose purpose was to help the captive brothers to win freedom, and free, in case of illness, death of relatives, etc..
The group had its space Nago, and although a minority, greatly helped in building the history of this country.
Unfortunately, no desccendientes of African ethnic group preserves the tradition of African names. But many of their African traditions are still practiced, and not just part of black culture, but part of Uruguayan culture, which have also joined whites.

I commented that the word "tango" (the traditional Uruguayan music) comes from the corruption of the word "Tambor" -drum- (Tambo), with a typical strain of African phonetics applied to the Spanish language.
In a time of year, the various African ethnic groups, sounded their drums from early in the morning, announcing public one another, for it was a great annual parade in which each group presented its "drumming" traditional. This annual celebration is known as "Llamadas" (call, ), and is repeated every year until the present, is that one of the craziest appreciated by the Uruguayans, and of course, has African roots.
I hope my bad English I have allowed you to understand something ... If not, please ask you
I need a collaboration yours, if you have knowledge of Yoruba language ...
I have in my possession the original songs written in Yoruba, with which the slaves worshiped their Orisa. I need to know the type of variety used in these songs. Is it possible?
I am at your service, and would like more fluid contact with you.
An affectionate greeting of his friend Uruguay.

1 Like

Re: West African Yoruba In South America by warlei(m): 6:27am On Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for ther reply.there are different yoruba dialect(subgroups) and each of them worship different gods(orisas). I dnt knw much about the incantations,i am a xtian.but orisas are worshiped in the town nd villages and also cities...
Re: West African Yoruba In South America by kwametut: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2014
@Handof Chukwu
Let me LECTURE U ABOUT AFRICAN HISTORY FLAT HEAD. SA UNIVERSITY AREN'T RANKED IN TOP 10 IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING. Europeans looked down on Igbo slaves especially males as they were lazy,suicidal and dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kongo Kingdom supplied the largest number of Slaves to
USA=Angola-Congo 35%-40%, West Africa 55%-60% mainly Senegambia
Cuba=40% Angola-Congo
Haiti=Angola-Congo 50%
Brazil=Angola-Congo 70%and Suriname=Angola-Congo 40%
and other small Carribean islands Bahamas,Caricao,St Kitts,St Thomas.

In these areas/countries mentioned above they imported more ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES than any other African region.FACT.

NOTE: Europeans liked Angola-Congolese for STAMINA and hardowrk hence they were mainly used for GANG LABOUR. While for HOUSE NEGRO work Europeans liked Senegambians.

Re: West African Yoruba In South America by zolajpower: 8:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ptolomeus:

Thank you very much for your kindness, dear friend!
I live in Montevideo, capital of Uruguay.
The first arrivals of African groups corresponded to Angola.
It was no coincidence the type of ethnic group that arrived in each country, as countries with large plantations of sugar cane, coffee, cotton, mine production, they needed labor with very strong physically. In the case of Uruguay, the assignments were limited to cooperation in the agricultural and livestock, as well as collaboration with domestic chores. For this reason (the slaves lived with their masters), one can speak of a deal much more "humanized" to slaves in other countries. There is another important phenomenon: that kind of work did not allow the grandees concentrations of slaves, which added to the coexistence with the white slave allowed to more easily integrate into society.
In a beautiful paper published by the University of the Republic (Uruguay), I have read the diary of a nineteenth century slave, in narrating the various ceremonies performed, celebrations, and the existence of "brotherhoods" of each ethnic group , who had their King and his Queen, whose purpose was to help the captive brothers to win freedom, and free, in case of illness, death of relatives, etc..
The group had its space Nago, and although a minority, greatly helped in building the history of this country.
Unfortunately, no desccendientes of African ethnic group preserves the tradition of African names. But many of their African traditions are still practiced, and not just part of black culture, but part of Uruguayan culture, which have also joined whites.

I commented that the word "tango" (the traditional Uruguayan music) comes from the corruption of the word "Tambor" -drum- (Tambo), with a typical strain of African phonetics applied to the Spanish language.
In a time of year, the various African ethnic groups, sounded their drums from early in the morning, announcing public one another, for it was a great annual parade in which each group presented its "drumming" traditional. This annual celebration is known as "Llamadas" (call, ), and is repeated every year until the present, is that one of the craziest appreciated by the Uruguayans, and of course, has African roots.
I hope my bad English I have allowed you to understand something ... If not, please ask you
I need a collaboration yours, if you have knowledge of Yoruba language ...
I have in my possession the original songs written in Yoruba, with which the slaves worshiped their Orisa. I need to know the type of variety used in these songs. Is it possible?
I am at your service, and would like more fluid contact with you.
An affectionate greeting of his friend Uruguay.
can u tell us more about d Uruguans culture?

(1) (Reply)

Advice For A Canadian Girl, In Love With A Nigerian Boy / Critical Thinking And The African Identity / 8 Powerful Masquerades In Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.